PDA

View Full Version : TUF 10.2 (Spoilers)

rockdawg21
09-24-2009, 03:05 AM
All I have to say about tonight's fight is I hope both teams start building their cardio. That was BORING! I think I could have KOed either one of those guys and I'm about 150 pounds, lol

Kimbo vs. Roy Nelson next week!

Prepare for the highest ratings ever for TUF!

Chuck
09-24-2009, 03:09 AM
All I have to say about tonight's fight is I hope both teams start building their cardio. That was BORING! I think I could have KOed either one of those guys and I'm about 150 pounds, lol

Kimbo vs. Roy Nelson next week!

Prepare for the highest ratings ever for TUF!

Definitely boring but I thought the decision was complete crap! I saw it the exact OPPOSITE of the judges. I wasn't impressed by either but I thought Wes won both rounds. CLEARLY won the first round, no questions asked, good chance at the 2nd round.

To me, one of the worst decisions of TUF I've ever seen... :angry:

rockdawg21
09-24-2009, 03:14 AM
Definitely boring but I thought the decision was complete crap! I saw it the exact OPPOSITE of the judges. I wasn't impressed by either but I thought Wes won both rounds. CLEARLY won the first round, no questions asked, good chance at the 2nd round.

To me, one of the worst decisions of TUF I've ever seen... :angry:
Yes, I'm with you on that. The 2 18-20s I was certain would go to Wes. He got the takedowns and landed the bigger punches. All I saw from the other guy was a couple of leg kicks and the guillotine attempt.

I think Kimbo will win next week, and here's why: http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69521#post69521

No doubt, Kimbo could KO Big Country. It seems like Roy isn't taking this seriously, but Kimbo wants some respect from Dana, and to continue his career. No doubt in my mind, he'd still make 6 figures a fight in the UFC because he would be a major draw like Brock.

Spiritwalker
09-24-2009, 03:15 AM
garbage fight... garbage fighters.... crap coaches...

MattHughesRocks
09-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Give me a P!
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Smileys/cheerleader2.gif
Give me an A!
Give me a T!
Give me an H!
Give me an E!
Give me a T!
Give me an I!
Give me a C!

Whats that spell??? Cardio on tonights TUF! http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Smileys/cheerleader2.gif

KENTUCKYREDBONE
09-24-2009, 08:17 AM
I hope that Wes improves his Cardio in a big way! I'd like to see him do good in MMA. Maybe its partly cause he's from the South and seems a good guy. If he could get with a good camp and hire a conditioning coach he might have a chance!

County Mike
09-24-2009, 11:03 AM
The cardio was terrible. Apparently, the first two fights were the same night. That means none of the first 4 fighters had any real training in the house before they fought. I read Abe's blog and he said the Shivers/McSweeney fight happened only 5 minutes after his. That's why you still see the blood stain on the floor of the cage.

Regardless, everyone on the show knew they might have to fight right away. No reason to have such terrible cardio. Gassed halfway through the first round. I did think Wes won the first round and McSweeney won the second just on the leg kicks. Should have been a third round but I doubt either guy had the gas to make it interesting.

EHLERZ5
09-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Are alot of these guys brand new to MMA? After 2 fights I'm really concerned that the heavyweights aren't going to make much of a show. I felt myself at home rooting for Wes, and screaming.... "it's right there, do it"... Rashad's guy left his arm out there for Kimuras and once a perfect chance for a straight armbar....

Cardio... Have you seen any of these guys training in that area so far? All I've seen is boxing, takedowns, and the occasional spider crawl or the squat and walk.... but I haven't seen any running/biking or tell you the truth even anyone breathing hard (except for about 30 seconds into every round of the true fights *coughs* - and I'll use the term fight loosly).

Hopefully next week will prove otherwise....

Is Kimbo legit?

or is Kimbo a Bimbo like the "Silverback" proved?

We'll see.........

Llamafighter
09-24-2009, 12:50 PM
The cardio is a tough thing to build in a few weeks if they really showed up in that bad of shape.
I thought the decision was total b.s. Wes had a few takedowns and 2 or 3 times he hit McSweeney and McSweeney turned hisback to him.

Rashad took a big risk throwing Nelson in against a wild card like Kimbo. I think Roy should handle him quite easily, but who knows what could happen. Roy proved against Rothwell and Arlovski that he can take a punch. we'll see what happens.
I agree that the ratings will be through the roof!

Neezar
09-24-2009, 12:58 PM
The cardio is a tough thing to build in a few weeks if they really showed up in that bad of shape.
I thought the decision was total b.s. Wes had a few takedowns and 2 or 3 times he hit McSweeney and McSweeney turned hisback to him.

Rashad took a big risk throwing Nelson in against a wild card like Kimbo. I think Roy should handle him quite easily, but who knows what could happen. Roy proved against Rothwell and Arlovski that he can take a punch. we'll see what happens.
I agree that the ratings will be through the roof!

I thought Arlovski KO'd him? :unsure-1:

Nelson won his championship by fighting Brad Imes.

I just don't see how Kimbo can lose this fight?

Has Nelson ever knocked anyone out? I can't see his ground game being that good.

The only thing is I think Dana is already preparing us for a loss by saying Kimbo would be in the UFC regardless of winning TUF or not. Is he doing early damage control? Not wanting to lose his fans?

Neezar
09-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Here is the illustrious Roy Nelson. Brad stumbles around blindly for 3 1/2 minutes before Nelson can finish him. If Nelson goes straight towards Kimbo like that (even before the first knock down) I can't see Kimbo not making quick work of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NPP9hDQn00

Primadawn
09-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Totally in agreement that the cardio was a joke. I thought it was a split though--thought Wes won the first round and the other guy won the 2nd. He was hurting Wes's left leg with those kicks--Wes couldn't put weight on it for a while.
Wes leaning over and resting with his hands on his knees in the 2nd was pathetic...ALMOST as pathetic as the other guy not taking advantage of it. Criminy!

Can't wait for next week! Loving that they're not showing house antics for the entire hour this season too!

logrus
09-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Where the hell is the cardio, these guys come into the house knowing their gonna fight and if you train MMA at all then your cardio should look 100 times better then what it has been.

What a joke, if Kimbo did any cardio training over his time off then he is going to run thru that house,

Llamafighter
09-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Where the hell is the cardio, these guys come into the house knowing their gonna fight and if you train MMA at all then your cardio should look 100 times better then what it has been.

What a joke, if Kimbo did any cardio training over his time off then he is going to run thru that house,

Yeah if I was Greg Jackson I'd give McSeenwy an earful. he lucked out with that decision.

Just saw an interview where Rashad said he'd like to have Kimbo out to Jackson's camp to train. thsi leads me to believe that he impressed some folks on that show.

billwilliams70
09-24-2009, 03:39 PM
I really felt that this week's fight was horrid. I'm not really sure how anyone can say, definitively that McSweeney beat Shivers and vice-versa.

I think it was really close but can not argue with the fact that the judges gave it to McSweeney, those kicks were definitely doing some damage and because of them, he was controlling the octagon a bit more than Shivers.

Just my two lincolns though.

Later.

Llamafighter
09-24-2009, 04:32 PM
I really felt that this week's fight was horrid. I'm not really sure how anyone can say, definitively that McSweeney beat Shivers and vice-versa.

I think it was really close but can not argue with the fact that the judges gave it to McSweeney, those kicks were definitely doing some damage and because of them, he was controlling the octagon a bit more than Shivers.

Just my two lincolns though.

Later.

It was really close
I think if he was following up more aggressively after the kicks then they would be more influencial. he was pretty much giving Shivers a Time Out everytime he got really gassed.
my two cents as well:)

billwilliams70
09-24-2009, 06:15 PM
It was really close
I think if he was following up more aggressively after the kicks then they would be more influencial. he was pretty much giving Shivers a Time Out everytime he got really gassed.
my two cents as well:)
You're right....there's got to be something said for REALLY wanting this opportunity. If my opposition was bent over at the waist gasping for air, I wouldn't see it as an opportunity to take a breather myself, I'd muster up every ounce of strength that I had and put him away.

Later.

Chuck
09-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Butterbean II aka Roy has done nothing to impress me.... I would LOVE to see him ko'd by Kimbo but Kimbo's chin worries me as much as his lack of ground experience.

Bonnie
09-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Out of the two, McSweeney definitely looked more like the mma guy. I felt like he won it if they were going to end it after two rounds and it probably would have been the same decision after three. :wink: I can still hear the CRACK :whip: of him connecting with Wes's leg multiple times. And, he was able to get out from under Wes what 2 maybe 3 times when Wes had him pinned on the ground. Wes didn't seem to know what to do once he had McSweeney on the ground. :blink:

Llamafighter
09-25-2009, 02:25 PM
You're right....there's got to be something said for REALLY wanting this opportunity. If my opposition was bent over at the waist gasping for air, I wouldn't see it as an opportunity to take a breather myself, I'd muster up every ounce of strength that I had and put him away.

Later.

Can you say flying knee? I've never met a Muay Thai fighter without a killer instinct like McSweeney.

GnP
09-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Here is the illustrious Roy Nelson. Brad stumbles around blindly for 3 1/2 minutes before Nelson can finish him. If Nelson goes straight towards Kimbo like that (even before the first knock down) I can't see Kimbo not making quick work of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NPP9hDQn00

WOW thats a bad fight.

Nelson could fight at 155 or 170 if he lost his body fat how is that man a profesional athelete?

billwilliams70
09-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Can you say flying knee? I've never met a Muay Thai fighter without a killer instinct like McSweeney.
Exactly.

Later.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
09-25-2009, 08:04 PM

Has Nelson ever knocked anyone out? I can't see his ground game being that good.

The only thing is I think Dana is already preparing us for a loss by saying Kimbo would be in the UFC regardless of winning TUF or not. Is he doing early damage control? Not wanting to lose his fans?

Nelson beat Werdum! If memory serves he put Werdun on his back and knocked him out!

Neezar
09-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Nelson beat Werdum! If memory serves he put Werdun on his back and knocked him out!

Your memory fails you. lol. Werdum has been KO'd once and that was Santos. Difference of night and day.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
09-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Well I'm pretty sure I seen Roy knock out a well conditioned athlete on an IFL show that way! It seems like most the hatred I read concerning Nelson is cause he don't look like an athlete! While he may not look it he does have a legit MMA background!

VCURamFan
09-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Roy's 4 losses (in 6 years) come from 3 decisions & a KO.

His wins are 6 (T)KOs, 4 subs & 3 decisions.

Neezar
09-27-2009, 04:04 AM
Well I'm pretty sure I seen Roy knock out a well conditioned athlete on an IFL show that way! It seems like most the hatred I read concerning Nelson is cause he don't look like an athlete! While he may not look it he does have a legit MMA background!

Firstly, I never mentioned how he looks. lol. Secondly, I wouldn't consider saying that both of the fights that I have seen of his really suck equates to hatred. Thirdly, well that depends on what your defintion of the word 'legit' when you say he has a 'legit MMA background'.

p.s. That well-conditioned athlete on IFL was Brad Imes. Watch the fight and get back to me. That is the fight I was talking about earlier.

bj44
09-27-2009, 04:33 AM

he beat mir in a grapppling match and is a bb under renzo

Vizion
09-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Nelson is the Nate Diaz of fat guys.

He looks weak, out of shape, dispropotinate, but evidently he's pretty dang good, or just lucky enough to face the right fighters :laugh:

I hope Kimbo lays him out. :punch:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
09-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Your memory fails you. lol. Werdum has been KO'd once and that was Santos. Difference of night and day.

OK! After more research the fight I'm thinking about was Scherner!

Roy Nelson
From CageWiki

Roy "Big Country" Nelson (born June 20, 1976) is an American professional mixed martial artist and was the first and only IFL Heavyweight Champion.

He stands 6 ft. 0 in. (183 cm) tall and fights in the heavyweight division at approximately 265 lbs..

Nelson currently competes as a contestant on The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights.

Early Career
Roy Nelson began his professional Mixed Martial Arts career on April 17, 2004. The event, Rage on the River, played host not only to Nelson's debut, but also his second match as a pro. Both matches ended the same way - with Roy winning the decision.

Nelson's next four opponents all learned the hard way, that in addition to powerful punches, "Big Country" has a serious ground game. First it was a submission on Ray Seraille, then it was Michael Buchkovich's turn to give in to a Rear Naked Choke. Another RNC victory followed, this time on Jason Godsey, when the pair met at Fight Force's Butte Brawl 1. His next foe in Fight Force series, Jerome Smith, was equally unlucky, also succumbing to one of Nelson's chokes.

Bodog and the IFL
With a flawless 6-0 record larger promotions began to take notice of the affable Nelson. A man who is characterized by Sports Illustrated's Ben Fowlkes as being "Really funny and smart. One of the few fighters who appreciates sarcasm" also noting that "Roy has a sense of humor about his weight and, um, body type."

Roy's first big break came with a call from the Bodogfight promotion asking him to come to St. Petersberg, Russia for a bout with Josh Curran. Unfortunately for "Big Country" his first fight outside of his native United States resulted in the first loss of his career, coming out on the wrong end of a decision to Curran.

The next suitor to come calling after Nelson's talent was the International fight League, wherein Roy fought as a member of Ken Shamrock's Lion's Den team. Nelson's period with the IFL started successfully with a first round TKO win against Vince Lucero. Another first round TKO was to follow with a second IFL win over Mario Rinaldi.

The only stain on "Big Country's" IFL record came at the hands of top ten ranked Ben Rothwell, of the Quad-Cities Silverbacks. Roy lost a decision to the powerful Rothwell, but has still never been stopped in a match.

Nelson got back on track winning his next winning his next two IFL contests. This set Nelson up as a competitor in the IFL's first ever Heavyweight title fight. And on December, 29, 2007, at the IFL World Grand Prix Finals, Roy "Big Country" Nelson knocked out Antoine Jaoude to become the IFL World Heavyweight Champion.

Nelson went on to successfully retain the belt on two occasions. Both battles resulted in Roy winning decisively by TKO. Both defenses were against former UFC competitors, beating Fabiano Scherner, and later Brad Imes.

EliteXC
Following the demise of the IFL, Nelson became a free agent. Just under five months after his last bout, Nelson was signed on short notice to face former UFC heavyweight champion, Andrei Arlovski on CBS as a part of EliteXC: Heat's main card. Nelson looked good in the first round as he got Arlovski on his back and dominated positioning. However, the fight was controversially stood up by the referee on multiple occasions while Nelson was in dominant position. Arlovski used the stand up to his advantage as he poured it on in the second round and knocked Nelson down and out.

Nelson looked to bounce back from the disappointment by facing former UFC heavyweight contender, Jeff Monson in March, 2009. Nelson appeared to take out the bout fairly comfortably via decision but the judges did not see it that way; controversially awarding a unanimous decision to Monson.

The Ultimate Fighter
Midway through 2009, Nelson was announced as a surprising inclusion on the tenth season of The Ultimate Fighter, The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights. Nelson was listed as the early favorite heading into the season due to his very experienced resume compared to the other fifteen competitors.

Mixed martial arts record
Professional Breakdown 17 matches 13 wins 4 losses
By knockout 6 1
By submission 4 0
By decision 3 3
Draws 0

Record

Result Opponent Method Event Title Date Round Time Notes
Loss Jeff Monson Decision (Unanimous) SRP: March Badness 3/21/2009 3 5:00 -
Loss Andrei Arlovski KO (Punch) EliteXC: Heat 10/04/2008 2 3:14 -
Win Brad Imes TKO (Punches) IFL: Connecticut 5/16/2008 1 2:55 Defended IFL Heavyweight Championship
Win Fabiano Scherner TKO (Punches) IFL: Las Vegas 2/29/2008 1 3:20 Defended IFL Heavyweight Championship
Win Antoine Jaoude KO (Punch) IFL: World Grand Prix Finals 12/29/2007 2 0:22 Won first-ever IFL Heavyweight Championship
Win Bryan Vetell TKO (Punches) IFL: World Grand Prix Semifinals 11/03/2007 3 1:01 -
Win Shane Ott Decision (Unanimous) IFL: Las Vegas 6/16/2007 3 4:00 -
Loss Ben Rothwell Decision (Split) IFL: Moline 4/07/2007 3 4:00 -
Win Mario Rinaldi TKO (Punches) Bodog Fight: Costa Rica Combat 2/17/2007 1 2:38 -
Win Vince Lucero TKO (Punches) IFL: Oakland 1/19/2007 1 1:55 -
Loss Josh Curran Decision (Unanimous) Bodog Fight: Clash of the Nations 12/16/2006 3 5:00 -
Win Jerome Smith Submission (Side Choke) FF 2: FightForce - Butte Brawl 2 7/22/2006 1 4:13 -
Win Jason Godsey Submission (Rear Naked Choke) FF 1: FightForce - Butte Brawl 1 5/06/2006 1 4:42 -
Win Michael Buchkovich Submission (Rear Naked Choke) WEF: Orleans Arena 4/01/2006 1 0:56 -
Win Ray Seraille Submission PXC 3: Return of the Enforcer 8/28/2004 2 N/A -
Win Jerry Vrbanovic Decision (Split) ROTR: Rage on the River 4/17/2004 3 3:00 -
Win Bo Cantrell Decision ROTR: Rage on the River 4/17/2004 3 3:00 -

Gallery

External links
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Roy-Nelson-10249 - Professional MMA Record

http://www.sherdog.com/pictures/gallery/fighter/10249/ - Sherdog Photo Gallery

--Sam Cupitt 00:36, 15 September 2009 (UTC)

Retrieved from "http://wiki.cagepotato.com/index.php/Roy_Nelson"
Category: Fighters
ViewsPersonal

Neezar
09-28-2009, 03:34 AM
Just watch one of his fights. All that looks good on paper. But just watch one of his fights. :laugh: Just do it.

However, this did interest me. I would like to see this....

Nelson looked to bounce back from the disappointment by facing former UFC heavyweight contender, Jeff Monson in March, 2009. Nelson appeared to take out the bout fairly comfortably via decision but the judges did not see it that way; controversially awarding a unanimous decision to Monson.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
09-29-2009, 03:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lICAUOTMFU

Looked to me like he did alright in this fight! He got the job done anyway!

Neezar
09-30-2009, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lICAUOTMFU

Looked to me like he did alright in this fight! He got the job done anyway!

Yes, he did get the job done. :)