PDA

View Full Version : NSAC rejects application for officiating license from ‘Big’ John McCarthy

atomdanger
09-22-2009, 09:09 PM
http://mmamania.com/2009/09/22/access-denied-nsac-rejects-application-for-officiating-license-from-big-john-mccarthy/

Naturally, Kizer insists that McCarthy was not approved due to limited space and a large pool of applicants — not personal ill will, and that his application is not denied — just in limbo with the dozens of other applicants who will never see the inside of a Nevada cage.

Like the many fighters he’s overseen throughout his career, McCarthy was gracious in defeat:

“A license to referee or judge with an athletic commission — it’s not a right, it’s a privilege. Everyone kept bringing up the fact that I wasn’t licensed in Nevada, so I said, ‘Alright, I’ll apply.’ I have no problems with anybody in Nevada. When you do your job right as a referee, there’s not gonna be a lot of people saying things. The sport is growing; the officiating is having to grow with it. The whole reason I’m [back] reffing is because it’s what I love to do, and I’m going to enjoy doing what I’m doing.”

LMAO wow,
I will say it right now, Kizer is a whore on Zuffa's payroll.
Denying his application because you have a lot of them? Pffft.
Get out of here, thats lame.

rearnakedchoke
09-22-2009, 10:16 PM
dude, this is vegas ... the city was built by gangsters .. you think there isn't still some of that going on??? kizer is a puppet, he knows how much zuffa brings into the nsac ... imo BHM made the first mistake and now unfortunately he is paying the price ... i hate seeing people unable to make a pay cheque, but he should have been smarter ...

David_Banner
09-23-2009, 01:47 AM
LMAO wow,
I will say it right now, Kizer is a whore on Zuffa's payroll.
Denying his application because you have a lot of them? Pffft.
Get out of here, thats lame.

I think its apparent Kizer likes the attention and money the UFC brings to the NSAC and Vegas. He knows the UFC can do shows anywhere on earth now so keeping the wedge between Big John and the UFC is the best way to keep their "partnership" prosperous.

I don;t know what actually transpired between Big John and Dana but it must have gotten pretty damn ugly.

David_Banner
09-23-2009, 01:56 AM
dude, this is vegas ... the city was built by gangsters .. you think there isn't still some of that going on??? kizer is a puppet, he knows how much zuffa brings into the nsac ... imo BHM made the first mistake and now unfortunately he is paying the price ... i hate seeing people unable to make a pay cheque, but he should have been smarter ...

Big John isnt hurting for money, at all. That said, he's argueably the best ref in MMA and his credibility is second to none. Given the plague of terrible calls and stoppages the UFC has seen in the past 2 years, getting a guy like John back seems like the logical thing to do.

atomdanger
09-23-2009, 02:17 AM
I think its apparent Kizer likes the attention and money the UFC brings to the NSAC and Vegas. He knows the UFC can do shows anywhere on earth now so keeping the wedge between Big John and the UFC is the best way to keep their "partnership" prosperous.

I don;t know what actually transpired between Big John and Dana but it must have gotten pretty damn ugly.

Kizer doesn't have to take it from behind like that, he is a tool.

The UFC isn't going to leave vegas, come on.
Not only that, they do many more shows outside of the state than in.

rearnakedchoke
09-23-2009, 02:18 AM

have you seen kizer??? of course he takes it like that ...

que
09-23-2009, 03:35 AM
that's corruption right there

MMeh
09-23-2009, 04:01 AM
That's disgusting. Seriously, truly awful

atomdanger
09-23-2009, 04:47 AM
have you seen kizer??? of course he takes it like that ...

LMAO

KENTUCKYREDBONE
09-23-2009, 07:08 AM
While I do think Big John should have been given his licence I ain't gonna automatically blame Dana and the UFC for it. I find it amazing how many Folks seem to think Dana has so much power he can tell the Athletic commission what to do. Hey next time I have a rough day maybe I should blame the all powerful Dana White!

rearnakedchoke
09-23-2009, 03:25 PM
While I do think Big John should have been given his licence I ain't gonna automatically blame Dana and the UFC for it. I find it amazing how many Folks seem to think Dana has so much power he can tell the Athletic commission what to do. Hey next time I have a rough day maybe I should blame the all powerful Dana White!

Dana doesn't have to tell NSAC anything ... Kizer dislikes what BJM said about the NSAC, and he also knows that Dana didn't like what BJM said about the UFC ... so he can keep BJM's application in the pile, which is totally fine ... he also knows that the UFC holds many fights in NV and that if there is a chance that UFC holds less shows there, well, that is less money for the NSAC ... so it makes complete sense ... also, if BJM was given his license, there would have been people on the other end saying that BJM got special treatment from the NSAC and jumped the line ...

it was a good decison imo on the NSAC's part ..

atomdanger
09-23-2009, 07:06 PM
also, if BJM was given his license, there would have been people on the other end saying that BJM got special treatment from the NSAC and jumped the line ...

it was a good decison imo on the NSAC's part ..

What makes you say that?
They do it for other refs.
Big Dan got his in Nevada right away after they "discovered" him in Jersey.
Nobody was mad about that, why would a bunch of other refs be mad that the best in the business got his license in Nevada lol

rearnakedchoke
09-23-2009, 07:29 PM
What makes you say that?
They do it for other refs.
Big Dan got his in Nevada right away after they "discovered" him in Jersey.
Nobody was mad about that, why would a bunch of other refs be mad that the best in the business got his license in Nevada lol

i know this is not a true example, but you go and quit your job, bad-mouth your boss and company and in a couple years try and apply again and see what happens. BJM is a big boy, he should have known that you don't burn bridges .... you don't bite the hand that feeds you imo and now he has to wait around like everyone else ..

atomdanger
09-23-2009, 08:48 PM
i know this is not a true example, but you go and quit your job, bad-mouth your boss and company and in a couple years try and apply again and see what happens. BJM is a big boy, he should have known that you don't burn bridges .... you don't bite the hand that feeds you imo and now he has to wait around like everyone else ..

Yeah, pretty bad example.
For one, He didn't bad mouth his boss, at all. Did he?
I have never seen a BJM quote bad mouthing the NAC.

He made some comments about Dana White,
Dana isn't his boss, and wasn't. Legally speaking Dana White should have no say over the Athletic Commission.
This is why the state regulates the sport, so things like this do not happen.

rearnakedchoke
09-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah, pretty bad example.
For one, He didn't bad mouth his boss, at all. Did he?
I have never seen a BJM quote bad mouthing the NAC.

He made some comments about Dana White,
Dana isn't his boss, and wasn't. Legally speaking Dana White should have no say over the Athletic Commission.
This is why the state regulates the sport, so things like this do not happen.

nah ... he badmouthed the NSAC also .. i will find what he said and post .... if he just said crap about dana, i really couldn't care less, but if he says junk about the nsac and then asks for a job, well that wouldn't seem smart to me

atomdanger
09-23-2009, 09:56 PM
nah ... he badmouthed the NSAC also .. i will find what he said and post .... if he just said crap about dana, i really couldn't care less, but if he says junk about the nsac and then asks for a job, well that wouldn't seem smart to me

Please share.

I don't remember him bad mouthing the NSAC at all.

rearnakedchoke
09-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Please share.

I don't remember him bad mouthing the NSAC at all.

here is an interview from sherdog ... this is the second page ....

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/2/18-Questions-for-John-McCarthy-16629

he says he had criticism of people being made judges and refs ... which in itself isn't too bad, but in effect doesn't say much about the management at the nsac ... he should have just kept his mouth shut ... like i said, in this instance, there is no need for the nsac to bring him in as they have refs and his application is being processed ... they should probably offer him a judge job instead ... i am sure he could do better than the people judging now ..

que
09-23-2009, 11:36 PM
here is an interview from sherdog ... this is the second page ....

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/2/18-Questions-for-John-McCarthy-16629

he says he had criticism of people being made judges and refs ... which in itself isn't too bad, but in effect doesn't say much about the management at the nsac ... he should have just kept his mouth shut ... like i said, in this instance, there is no need for the nsac to bring him in as they have refs and his application is being processed ... they should probably offer him a judge job instead ... i am sure he could do better than the people judging now ..

all he said was some people maybe shouldn't have been made judges and refs. nothing wrong with saying that because even dana white and joe rogan have said that many times publicly themselves.

the reason he was rejected is not because of what he said in that interview

David_Banner
09-24-2009, 01:00 AM

I'm aware of all the shows they do outside of Vegas and I never said the UFC was going to leave Vegas. Pulling one vegas show would translate to a loss of tens of millions of dollars. Thats called leverage. Also, aside from all that, it could just be personal.

Neezar
09-24-2009, 02:53 AM
The Ferrita brothers took care of Big John in Vegas. He will never work there again.

Bonnie
09-24-2009, 04:40 AM
The Ferrita brothers took care of Big John in Vegas. He will never work there again.

That's a shame 'cause since I've been watching I haven't seen anyone better (or come close) at reffing than Big John. :sad:

I actually cringe sometimes (as recently as last Saturday) when they announce who's going to be refereeing, especially the main fights. :yikes:

David_Banner
09-24-2009, 11:17 AM
www.mmajunkie.com

Veteran referee "Big" John McCarthy hasn't refereed a mixed martial arts contest in Nevada in nearly two years.

And as Sherdog.com first reported on Tuesday, a recently denied McCarthy application to the Nevada State Athletic Commission means "Big" John still isn't eligible to officiate in the state.

But as NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), conspiracy theorists can take a rest; McCarthy isn't the only veteran referee that the commission simply doesn't have a use for at this time.

"We just don't have as many mixed martial arts events in the state as we used to," Kizer said. "We still have the major events with the UFC, but we don't have as many of the club shows and smaller shows, so we just don't have a need for more referees."

Nevada has added just two referees since Kizer took over for Marc Ratner in 2006: Josh Rosenthal and Kim Winslow. And while McCarthy is certainly the most tenured of the current 30-40 applicants that Kizer has on file, he's not the only experienced referee that has been turned down by the commission.

Larry Landless also has an application that resides in the "pending" file, and Dan Miragliotta's application was also put on hold earlier this year for precisely the same reason.

While the status of a referee's pending application may seem of little consequence to most MMA fans, McCarthy has developed near-superstar status as an iconic face of mixed martial arts since beginning his officiating career at UFC 2 (note his Round 5 MMA action figure and frequent media appearances).

Couple McCarthy's status with a few less-than-complimentary remarks made in regards to the UFC and NSAC during a brief run as analyst for The Fight Network, and his status as an official for those organizations remains a closely watched story.

Some MMA observers have suggested that McCarthy is on a sort of UFC "blacklist" and that UFC officials have let athletic commissions know that the use of "Big" John in an official capacity would result in less events – and less revenue – in those locales.

Kizer scoffed at the notion that this latest development regarding McCarthy was influenced by anything other than the commission's current needs.

"No one from the UFC, including Dana White, has ever contacted me about not using Mr. McCarthy," Kizer said.

With McCarthy's service not needed in Nevada, the longtime referee's next chance to return to the octagon will be at UFC 104 on Oct. 24 in Los Angeles.

McCarthy is already a certified referee in California, and "Big" John recently told MMAjunkie.com he'd make himself available to work the event.

"I'm licensed in California, and if I'm assigned, I'll go," McCarthy said.

Messages left by MMAjunkie.com for California State Athletic Commission Assistant Executive Bill Douglas to determine if the commission would be utilizing McCarthy at the event were not immediately returned.

John Morgan is the lead staff reporter for MMAjunkie.com.

__________________________________________________ ________________

They pretty much outlined everything we have said here, which I think is interesting that others feel the same way. I just realized Kieth Kizer is the same guy that could be seen mugging on TUF last year. I guess being on national TV can be considered a motivating factor is this decision too haha

David_Banner
09-24-2009, 11:33 AM
At Keiths own admission with his "We have a long list of applicants", its apparent the nsac doesnt pick refs based on experience, knowledge and or skill, because if they did, Big John would have got the job. I don't blame him though, he either had to admit their decision was political and call into question just how currupt the NSAC really is or admit the NSAC is run by a gaggle of idiots. He choose to further the legend of stupidity that is the NSAC.

atomdanger
09-24-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm aware of all the shows they do outside of Vegas and I never said the UFC was going to leave Vegas. Pulling one vegas show would translate to a loss of tens of millions of dollars. Thats called leverage. Also, aside from all that, it could just be personal.

Hmm...
How do you figure one UFC show equals tens of millions of dollars for the NSAC?

Neezar
09-24-2009, 01:32 PM
At Keiths own admission with his "We have a long list of applicants", its apparent the nsac doesnt pick refs based on experience, knowledge and or skill, because if they did, Big John would have got the job. I don't blame him though, he either had to admit their decision was political and call into question just how currupt the NSAC really is or admit the NSAC is run by a gaggle of idiots. He choose to further the legend of stupidity that is the NSAC.

:laugh:

David_Banner
09-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Hmm...
How do you figure one UFC show equals tens of millions of dollars for the NSAC?

Tens of millions of dollars in revenue for Vegas. Athletic Commisions are a less then topical extention of a state run Chamber of Commerce, for Sports. They are supposed to provide a fair, honest and ethical platform as to attract events in the promise the rules will be followed by the athletes, honest and QUILIFIED judges, and good refereeing. It is their job, in short, to attract Sporting Events based on their performance and integrity. This Big John debacle has shown they arent above holding a good grudge (or caving-in to someone elses grudge) when someone calls them out on their lustrous history of stupid decision making.

rearnakedchoke
09-24-2009, 02:48 PM
all he said was some people maybe shouldn't have been made judges and refs. nothing wrong with saying that because even dana white and joe rogan have said that many times publicly themselves.

the reason he was rejected is not because of what he said in that interview

dana doesn't work for the nsac nor does rogan .. they can say whatever they want .. but bjm wants a job with them now, so i guess this is coming back to haunt him ...

flo
09-27-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm kind of a dope about this subject, I don't know any of the background so I appreciate the links and comments.

All I can add is that I love Big John, he's a great ref in my humble opinion, and I really miss him. I hope he is back with the UFC soon, whatever it takes.

Like Bonnie said, some of the refs are cringe-worthy :-)