PDA

View Full Version : Random thought on GSP/Alves fight

VCURamFan
02-06-2009, 07:52 PM
For some reason, I got to thinking about GSP's opponents, & I realized something: for at least the last 5 years, they have all been grapplers. Look at the list:

Feb '09 - BJ Penn (bjj)
Aug '08 - Jon Fitch (wrestler)
Apr '08 - matt sarah (bjj)
Dec '07 - Matt Hughes (wrestler)
Aug '07 - Josh Koscheck (wrestler)
Apr '07 - matt sarah (bjj)
Nov '06 - Matt Hughes (wrestler)
Mar '06 - BJ Penn (bjj)
Nov '05 - Sean Sherk (wrestler)
Aug '05 - Frank Trigg (wrestler)
Apr '05 - Mayhem Miller (wrestler)
Jan '05 - Dave Strasser (bjj)
Oct '04 - Matt Hughes (wrestler)
Jun '04 - Jay Hieron (wrestler)
Jan '04 - Karo Parisyan (judoka)

Finally, back in Nov '03, you find Pete Spratt, who's more of a striker. Then you get Tomas Denny (wrestler), Travis Galbraith (wrestler), Justin Bruckmann (bjj), & Ivan Menjivar (???). So it looks like GSP has only ever faced 1 (maybe 2) legitimate strikers. I'm not saying that no one he's faced has good striking, but it's not their primary discipline. He's gong to have his hands full with Alves.

atomdanger
02-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Yeah, he has matched up well with a lot of guys he has fought,
I hate to even admit this, but I am rooting for Alves.... O_o

Same with Chuck though, his record was largly padded with ground guys.

rearnakedchoke
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
bj is known as a good striker although his BJJ is what made him famous ... and gsp totally negated that in the second fight ... gsp is probably the best mma wrestler out there right now because he sets up his takedowns and he's got decent strking ... i think he can take down alves at will and punish him with strikes to make this a one-sided fight

matthughesfan21
02-06-2009, 08:58 PM
he will face a great striker, so gsp will just take him down immediately and gnp his way to victory

CAVEMAN
02-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I believe it will be a lop sided victory for GSP! Everybody is starting to hype up Alves like they did Fitch. AND look what happen there!!!

Liddellfan
02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
This should be a good fight. Alves should match the strength of GSP and is physically larger. I think the key to this fight for Alves is his takedown defense. GSP will probably be quicker than him and may will out wrestle him but Alves is a ruthless striker and that's not good for GSP. Assuming that Alves makes weight for this fight, there may be a new WW champion.
This fight should also determine what works better, HGH or roids.

Champ2be
02-06-2009, 10:21 PM
This fight should also determine what works better, HGH or roids.

OMG! :rolleyes: Cause Im sure you know all about the subject.

que
02-06-2009, 10:40 PM
i think if GSP cannot take alves down he will be in trouble

alves gets better with every fight and his takedown defense is probably his fastest evolving skill. koscheck couldn't get close to taking him down and koscheck was able to take GSP down.

of course MMATH doesn't work but this just shows how fast he is evolving.

warriorlion
02-06-2009, 10:43 PM
i dont understand why people get so hyped about alves striking, yeah he has great leg kicks but i dont really remember ever being impressed with his hands

warriorlion
02-06-2009, 10:50 PM
even high light reels show more with his knees and kicks, gnp is ok, but his hands only really looked great against tony de silva

ufcfan2
02-06-2009, 10:52 PM
If Alves falls to GSP and don't wanna get ahead of this. Is there anyone in the UFC's 170 division that can beat GSP? As of right now Fitch is the only thats giveng GSP a somewhat good fight.

Champ2be
02-06-2009, 10:58 PM
If Alves falls to GSP and don't wanna get ahead of this. Is there anyone in the UFC's 170 division that can beat GSP? As of right now Fitch is the only thats giveng GSP a somewhat good fight.

Fitch got the crap beat out of him for 5 rounds, how is that giving him a fight?

NateR
02-06-2009, 11:01 PM

His mind, it's failed him before.:laugh:

Honestly, though, I do believe 100% that Matt can still beat GSP. No doubt in my mind.

rockdawg21
02-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Alves couldn't KO Kos, I don't see why it would be any different with GSP unless he just gets caught.

Liddellfan
02-06-2009, 11:30 PM

Actually I do know a lot about the subject. I reasearched and did a mid term paper in college. Also had a close friend pass away a few years back due to steroid use.

VCURamFan
02-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Actually I do know a lot about the subject. I reasearched and did a mid term paper in college. Also had a close friend pass away a few years back due to steroid use.:sign0081:

Jason 16
02-07-2009, 01:04 AM
i think if GSP cannot take alves down he will be in trouble

alves gets better with every fight and his takedown defense is probably his fastest evolving skill. koscheck couldn't get close to taking him down and koscheck was able to take GSP down.

of course MMATH doesn't work but this just shows how fast he is evolving.

agree Iam leaning towards ...............it being a war yep... but realy alves and going the distance or a ko late.

but on the other hand what if gsp pulls guard and triangle his ass fisher style.

bradwright
02-07-2009, 01:22 AM
First time Alves go's for a leg kick GSP grabs it and takes him down and pounds him out for the victory,,unless Alves greases his kicking leg that is,:wink:

Josh
02-07-2009, 01:32 AM
I know a lot of people think Alves will be GSP's Kryptonite but I don't really see it that way. He can take down whoever he wants in the UFC WW div and that includes Alves. Alves wrestling is not near as good as Fitch and he took a real beating. I will actually be amazed if Alves lasts as long as BJ did.

rearnakedchoke
02-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Actually I do know a lot about the subject. I reasearched and did a mid term paper in college. Also had a close friend pass away a few years back due to steroid use.
so that makes you an expert? get outta here ... that paper gives you the ability to know if someone is on roids just by looking at them? LOL

Liddellfan
02-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Never said I was an "expert" don't know where that came from, and yes if you know about the subject there are ways you can tell by looking at someone. Do some research and maybe you will learn a little about it. I also never accused either one of them of taking anything. It was a sarcastic statement I made because of past allegations about each fighter.

rearnakedchoke
02-07-2009, 02:05 AM
Never said I was an "expert" don't know where that came from, and yes if you know about the subject there are ways you can tell by looking at someone. Do some research and maybe you will learn a little about it.

right, so by your theory people shouldn't be tested and they should just be looked at ... you know how stupid that sounds????? by your theory guys like roger clemens should be cleared because of his physique ... i know enough to know that it is impossible to be 100% certain by looking at someone ...

Liddellfan
02-07-2009, 02:08 AM
right, so by your theory people shouldn't be tested and they should just be looked at ... you know how stupid that sounds????? by your theory guys like roger clemens should be cleared because of his physique ... i know enough to know that it is impossible to be 100% certain by looking at someone ...

Where do you come up with this stuff? Is there anywhere that I came up with a written theory or do you just assume this? I also never said there should be no testing, and to just look at someone. Maybe you should think about what you type before you type it and be sure it makes sense?

rearnakedchoke
02-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Where do you come up with this stuff? Is there anywhere that I came up with a written theory or do you just assume this? I also never said there should be no testing, and to just look at someone. Maybe you should think about what you type before you type it and be sure it makes sense?
you are the one that said gsp and alves are taking steroids and hgh ... someone responded to you saying wow, you must know a lot and you said, yes, you wrote a college paper on it ... i said, so how does that make you an expert by just looking at people ... you said you aren't an expert, but you can tell by just looking at someone ... i said, why bother with testing when you can tell by just looking at someone ... if you aren't an expert and can tell, i am sure an expert could just take a glance and tell who is taking PED's ...

so i didn't make anything up, i am just responding to the crap you are spewing ...

Champ2be
02-07-2009, 03:02 AM

There are no deaths directly related to steroids buddy, try again, but I'm sure you know that b/c of your paper. Sorry about your friend though. And if he died due to liver or kidney failure it wasnt due to steroid use, it was due to steroid ABUSE.

Champ2be
02-07-2009, 03:03 AM
:sign0081:

Oh yea he "owned" me:rolleyes: How about you get to reading too. Really more of self ownage

CHITOWNHUGHESFAN
02-07-2009, 03:16 AM
Its going to be a WAR: Vaseline -vs- HGH...... to close to call:rolleyes: .

VCURamFan
02-07-2009, 03:50 AM
Oh yea he "owned" me:rolleyes: How about you get to reading too. Really more of self ownageI love how touchy & personal everyone gets when GSP & steroids are mentioned in the same thread.:frantics:

I'm not talking about the whole argument, I was referring to the 2 posts directly before it:
You claimed he had no expertise, he responded by saying that he had done research & also had a personal experience. In that facet of the argument, yes you got owned.

I haven't even bothered with the rest of the thread. It turns into the same argument that's going on everywhere else on these forums.

Hughes_GOAT
02-07-2009, 04:26 AM
if GSP can get Alves down, it will be interestng to see if he can hold him down? GSP will get him down at some point, especially if Alves wants to leg kick. Alves impressed me with his performance against Kos though and that could be looked at as a strength for Alves going into this fight. i don't see GSP being able to stand with him and Alves has improved his takedown defense. so GSP wins if he can get him down.

Champ2be
02-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I love how touchy & personal everyone gets when GSP & steroids are mentioned in the same thread.:frantics:You claimed he had no expertise, he responded by saying that he had done research & also had a personal experience. In that facet of the argument, yes you got owned.

Not touchy over GSP, I mean yea Im a fan, but I hate the fact that people think that no one can win the way he does and not be clean. And keep digging yourself a bigger hole by saying I was "owned", anyone can say that they know a lot about any subject, and as far as his "personal" experience like I said before their are no steroid related deaths documented so his first steroid realtated information is in fact false. Might want to to know what your talking about before you try and be Mr. E-thug again :scared0011:

Champ2be
02-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Its going to be a WAR: Vaseline -vs- HGH...... to close to call:rolleyes: .

:laugh:

MMeh
02-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Valid point. I think GSP wins if he sticks with what he's good at (takedown, gnp, repeat until decision/Alves is finished). However, if this stays on the feet Alves has a significant advantage. Like Fitch, Alves is one of the few WW on the planet who is not at a major size disadvantage to GSP, and he is a great striker. The big issues in this fight as far as I'm concerned are (1) does it take place on the mat or standing and (2) can Thiago hit 170 on the button without the amputation of a limb?

Tyburn
02-08-2009, 11:25 PM

Honestly, though, I do believe 100% that Matt can still beat GSP. No doubt in my mind.
:) Me aswell.

But I am hoping that Alves can do it...then Matt can get revenge in the form of getting his title back from Alves.

I will Never give up hope for a Tertiary Reign from Matt Hughes...not until the day he retires. :unsure-1:

Tyburn
02-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Not touchy over GSP, I mean yea Im a fan, but I hate the fact that people think that no one can win the way he does and not be clean. And keep digging yourself a bigger hole by saying I was "owned", anyone can say that they know a lot about any subject, and as far as his "personal" experience like I said before their are no steroid related deaths documented so his first steroid realtated information is in fact false. Might want to to know what your talking about before you try and be Mr. E-thug again :scared0011:
:ninja: arent you the guy who loves Urijah Faber....

I've got news for you...you might want to pay attention to my weekly video blog that comes out tommorow...it will feature...a suprise :laugh:

Spiritwalker
02-09-2009, 01:26 AM

I don't know.. there is this guy I have seen fight many many times... He beat GSP the first time they fought.. maybe you have heard of him? Didn't do as good the next two.. but can he beat GSP.. I would think Oh Hell Yes!

Champ2be
02-09-2009, 01:32 PM
:ninja: arent you the guy who loves Urijah Faber....

I've got news for you...you might want to pay attention to my weekly video blog that comes out tommorow...it will feature...a suprise :laugh:

Huh? You will have to direct to this video:ninja: Not really sure what your talking about w/ Faber and steroids. He get busted or something?

KevinD
02-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I will happily be cheering for Alves in this fight. He seems like a good guy, not arrogant and in your face. He could be a real monster for GSP to face. I would love to see him time out one of those viscious knees when GSP tries to shoot on him.

CAVEMAN
02-09-2009, 05:04 PM
There are no deaths directly related to steroids buddy, try again, but I'm sure you know that b/c of your paper. Sorry about your friend though. And if he died due to liver or kidney failure it wasnt due to steroid use, it was due to steroid ABUSE.

Maybe not directly, but they have linked steroid use to heart disease. Remember, the heart is a muscle. There have even been studies that have proven that prolonged steroid use enlarges the heart. It can also cause brain and aortic aneurysms because of increased homocysteine levels in the blood.

Look at all the pro wrestlers who have died over the years. Alot of them have died at young ages. Sure, some were using other drugs, but a huge amount of them used roids.

KevinD
02-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Maybe not directly, but they have linked steroid use to heart disease. Remember, the heart is a muscle. There have even been studies that have proven that prolonged steroid use enlarges the heart. It can also cause brain and aortic aneurysms because of increased homocysteine levels in the blood.

Look at all the pro wrestlers who have died over the years. Alot of them have died at young ages. Sure, some were using other drugs, but a huge amount of them used roids.

do we really need studies to tell us that prolonged abuse of steroids will kill you? I agree with you 100%. Just look at all the wrestlers that have abused for years, they died prematurely. Everything has a price!

Champ2be
02-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Your preaching to the choir caveman,lol. I know about medicine and the truth about steroids(Im a paramedic and a cardiac guru, so I think I know a little about the heart :wink: ). When used and not abused they are perfectly fine assuming that you are in good health. Remember too much of anything can be harmful... Tylenol, asprin, water for God sakes! Remember cheese burgers can cause heart problems too, but you dont see people bitching about them. As far as wrestlers go, you hit the nail on the head about abusing other drugs. I assume you are you refering to Eddie Gurraro(sp) who had cocaine, and meth, and opiates(pain pills) in his system along with steroids. Or the wrestler that killed his family a few years back, same story pain pills, booze, narcotics in his system. Starting to get my point? Wrestlers have also been linked to pain pill addictions too, and that stuff it horrible on the body, especially the liver, kidneys, and heart, and dont even get me started on how much booze these guys drink. You have to look at the big picture here there are plenty of guys that have been doing steroids for 40+ years and are fine, but when the media brings up one person out of the millions that do abuse steroids everyone goes crazy and says steroids are a killer... Nothing is further than the truth than that statement. Sure bodybuilders may have health problems later on, but no one thinks about the ammount of red meat that they ate over the years, and abuse of insulin, and diuretics. Everyone just jumps on the media bandwagon about steroids and thinks that they are so horrible. You know what else can cause brain and aortic aneurysms? Abuse of pain meds, and even too much asprin. Everything has side affects... Eveything. I see people all the time taking 4-5 asprin at a time for migraines. The only difference is that over the county meds are legal which makes them society acceptable. If steroids were legal you would never hear anything about them.

Champ2be
02-09-2009, 07:16 PM
do we really need studies to tell us that prolonged abuse of steroids will kill you? I agree with you 100%. Just look at all the wrestlers that have abused for years, they died prematurely. Everything has a price!

Again, look at the autopsy results people! What else did you see in the blood results?

Llamafighter
02-09-2009, 07:18 PM

I agree 100%. Up until GSP got the armbar I thought Matt was going to turn it around. I also think that had Alves not landed that knee Matt would have worn him down within that round. I had Matt winning the Alves fight by KO.

I honestly think there will be a Hughes GSP IV. I think those fights (like Randy vs. Chuck) will always sell and I think Matt takes out another big guy after he pulvarizes Serra (maybe Kos) we'll see him fight/beat either Alves or GSP.

How's our champ feeling about the Serra fight, Nate?

lc87
02-09-2009, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=Llamafighter]I also think that had Alves not landed that knee Matt would have worn him down within that round. I had Matt winning the Alves fight by KO.
QUOTE]

Didn't matt say his knee went out before that knee landed?

County Mike
02-09-2009, 08:35 PM
I also think that had Alves not landed that knee Matt would have worn him down within that round. I had Matt winning the Alves fight by KO.

Didn't matt say his knee went out before that knee landed?

Unless I missed something, it looked getting hit by Alves' knee is what caused Matt to go down and twist his knee. I'd be really surprised to hear that it happened before Alves caught him with the knee.

rearnakedchoke
02-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I will happily be cheering for Alves in this fight. He seems like a good guy, not arrogant and in your face. He could be a real monster for GSP to face. I would love to see him time out one of those viscious knees when GSP tries to shoot on him.

It is possible, but imo GSP has the most unpredictable takedowns and sets them up the best ... his speed leaves little time for people to throw a knee ... i am sure people have tried training for it, but it is harder to pull it off .... gsp takes him down and pounds him out

GroundNPound
02-10-2009, 05:47 PM
There really haven't been any pure strikers at WW for GSP to fight. I think he has good stand up and could hang with just about everyone.

And why does everyone think Alves has great striking? His kicks could hurt GSP but if he doesn't hurt GSP with a bomb I think he will get put on his back and pounded out like Fitch did to him.

KevinD
02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
It is possible, but imo GSP has the most unpredictable takedowns and sets them up the best ... his speed leaves little time for people to throw a knee ... i am sure people have tried training for it, but it is harder to pull it off .... gsp takes him down and pounds him out

yes it is possible. very possible. the point is though, if GSP attempts takedowns and Alves can stuff them, Gsp will start to get worn down. If the fight stays standing, Alves has deadly leg kicks and very good hands. Gsp may want to shoot again, but he may be a little spent and therefore may be a little slower, a little more predictable. It will be at a time like this that i envision Alves landing a knee to the jaw of GSP and putting him asleep.

Preach
02-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Alves will be a tough test for GSP.

Josh
02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
There is no way Alves will stuff GSP's TDs. The only thing that really sets him apart from GSP's other fights is Alves is really big like GSP.

Tyburn
02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
There is no way Alves will stuff GSP's TDs. The only thing that really sets him apart from GSP's other fights is Alves is really big like GSP.
:laugh: No he just looks that way coz he never actually makes weight :rolleyes:

Josh
02-10-2009, 09:40 PM
:laugh: No he just looks that way coz he never actually makes weight :rolleyes:
Yeah he is fighting at too low of a weight probably. If he doesn't make weight again Dana should make him jump up to 185.