PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know anything about ATVs?

sender
09-08-2009, 02:53 AM
My parents just got a lot at this cottage ground thing and they got some awesome ATV trails! I've been looking around for some prices on ATVs but they seem to be rediculously expensive up here!!! im talking like 4000$ for like 10+ year old ATVs WHAT GIVES??

Anyone here know what I should be looking for as far as brands an what not? I'll definitly be buying a used one for hopefully well under 1000$ :wacko:

Seems to be hard to be a poor man these days haha

Mac
09-08-2009, 03:08 AM
a GOOD used atv for under a grand is almost unheard of . They are extremely expensive ,

As far as brands . Hondas have good motors that run forever , just the rest of the machine is weak suck. COnstant headaches.

My favorite is Polaris . Ive had my sportsman burried over the handle bars int he river completely submerged on several different occasions and had never had a problem with it . I say look for a polaris .

If your just wanting a 2wd zip around machine look into the older yamahas . The Blaster is a low priced good bang for the buck machine . Thatd probably be a great first machine , Start searching for a yamaha blaster.

Oddtodd76
09-08-2009, 11:07 AM
my favorites are hondas and yamahas....but you better start thinking of spending more than a grand.

Llamafighter
09-08-2009, 02:13 PM
We had a Honda 300 that was more of a work machine, but still had a lot of zip.
They don't really depreciate in value because the formula for a good machine hasn't changed that much. maybe auctions are the place to look or craigslist.

Preach
09-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750i. It will out perform any Polaris on any given day......

Mac shows up and talks smack in 5...4....3....2.......1

Twinsmama
09-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I'll definitly be buying a used one for hopefully well under 1000$ :wacko:

i haven't even found one for my kids that cheap. there are some deals out there of people that need to sell because of financial issues though. Just keep your ears out. if you hear of a good deal like that you better jump. i think the prices are high everywhere. they are really cheap fun considering what is cost to run mud trucks and jeeps. I second for Honda just because that's what I have. It depends on what kind of trail riding though. I think Hondas are comfortable but usually people around here use Polaris w/ snorkels for really mudding and underwater areas. Good luck hopefully you'll find one. Any of them would be really fun I'm sure.

Preach
09-08-2009, 03:16 PM
http://force-marine.ru/news/2007/img/4x4-03-09.jpg

TexasRN
09-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Wear a helmet, Sender!!!!

~Amy

internationalharvester
09-08-2009, 04:56 PM
a GOOD used atv for under a grand is almost unheard of . They are extremely expensive ,

As far as brands . Hondas have good motors that run forever , just the rest of the machine is weak suck. COnstant headaches.

My favorite is Polaris . Ive had my sportsman burried over the handle bars int he river completely submerged on several different occasions and had never had a problem with it . I say look for a polaris .

If your just wanting a 2wd zip around machine look into the older yamahas . The Blaster is a low priced good bang for the buck machine . Thatd probably be a great first machine , Start searching for a yamaha blaster.

I have a Honda and I love it but I do have to agree with Mac here, motor is a stud but for the most part I have had problems with everything else from brakes to the rear end to the front end never wanting to stay aligned (that could just be me haha) that being said I'm really hard on mine though. HOWEVER, I'm not sure about the newer ones but all of the old Polaris that I have been around have chain drives that like to throw the chain when you get into the sand around creeks. Honda's will kinda nickle and dime you but the motor and trans are good. Polaris runs good but not as strong or as long as a Honda, and Arctic Cats, well lets not even get into their 4-wheelers haha

Mac
09-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750i. It will out perform any Polaris on any given day......

Mac shows up and talks smack in 5...4....3....2.......1

I cant agree with that lol

Now you want to ride a wicked 4wd quad , get on one of those can-am outlander 800's WOW!!!

Preach
09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I cant agree with that lol

Now you want to ride a wicked 4wd quad , get on one of those can-am outlander 800's WOW!!!

We need to have a forum 4 wheeler trip

TENNESSEAN
09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L11714247.jpg

wear your helmet

adamt
09-08-2009, 06:12 PM
find a three wheeler at a farm sale

philips4
09-09-2009, 03:52 AM
I really like the Polaris Predator, I have a 600 and its been great. Nice thing to have is reverse, I think they started coming out in 2006. Not mandatory, I'm just saying nice to be able to back up in case you ride like me!:Whistle:

I much prefer two wheels, I would get a four stroke over a two stroke for what it sounds like you would use it for.... this is coming from someone who tends to foul plugs if ya' know what I mean! And of course electric start is nice... hee hee I'm kinda pathetic but I also love a kickstand on my bike. I have a Honda CRF250X and its great not to kick!

Have fun either way!!!!! Oh, and try cycletrader.com they have some great deals! Lots of deals to be had out there! Oh, and check your sticker rules in your area for when you can ride!

Christie

rockdawg21
09-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Good recommendations here by Mac.

Honda is probably king IMO. I've never really heard of one crapping out, they really do seem to last forever.

I owned a Blaster a few years back. It's a 200cc 2-stroke engine that's every bit as powerful as a Yamaha Warrior or Honda 300ex. The only thing about 2-stroke engines is they tend to blow about every 2-4 years (depending how often and how hard you ride them), but when you get to rebuild the engine, you can make them more powerful by increasing the size of the bore! Also, a Blaster wouldn't work that well if you're a big person as they're pretty narrow, so you would have to increase the length of the swingarm if you're a big dude. It worked ok for me being 5'7", but I probably would buy a 300ex or Yamaha Warrior if I were going to buy a used ATV again.

Personally, if you went for a Honda 300ex, you're going to get a very reliable machine and it'd be a great 1st timer ATV.

sender
09-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Well I've done alot of looking around and people just dont seem to want to budge on the price they want for thier ATVs :cry:

I am going to look at a polaris Trailblazer tomorrow though.

Its originaly a 250 but the guy swapped a 500cc into it.

Its been the cheapest so far i could find taked the guy down to 1700 before even seeing it...

Now my next mission is to somehow get the money haha

rockdawg21
09-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Well I've done alot of looking around and people just dont seem to want to budge on the price they want for thier ATVs :cry:

I am going to look at a polaris Trailblazer tomorrow though.

Its originaly a 250 but the guy swapped a 500cc into it.

Its been the cheapest so far i could find taked the guy down to 1700 before even seeing it...

Now my next mission is to somehow get the money haha
I got a bank loan to buy my Blaster when I was 19. I don't know about Canada, but it's something you can try. $1700 isn't much of a risk even without collateral as long as your credit is good.

sender
09-10-2009, 01:30 AM
I got a bank loan to buy my Blaster when I was 19. I don't know about Canada, but it's something you can try. $1700 isn't much of a risk even without collateral as long as your credit is good.

Well I went and saw it today and the thing is in great shape. The guy who has it hardly rode it at all and you can tell. I had a buddy of mine tell me everything to look for and it sees to have passed everything.

Gonna go to the bank and try and figure everything out tomorrow :laugh: whoot whooot!

ME4440
09-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Them can-ams are bad machines, but i dont think u can beat a honda ive put wheel bearings in mine thats just from creek riding and i adjusted the tie rods after flipping it a million times so it would drive strait. Ive had it buried several times it quits on me i just drain the water out of the air box and drain the bowl on the carb a little bit and its good to go, its a 500 and i think we give like 5400.00 for it new. My cousin has an old 400 honda foreman it has like 9000 miles on it and only put a rearend in it, hes 6'5" and weighs 330lbs and its packed his big butt around all its life so id say thats a pretty good 4-wheeler. It really all depends on what ur looking for in a 4-wheeler on what kind to get.

sender
09-10-2009, 03:48 AM
yeh this will be my first one so I basicaly wanted to get one as cheap as possible and then kinda make up my mind on what I want from there. I will hopefully be able to pick it up tomorrow and take it for a good ride around the bush at my parents place so I'll post then what I think of it :frantics:

Llamafighter
09-10-2009, 01:21 PM
yeh this will be my first one so I basicaly wanted to get one as cheap as possible and then kinda make up my mind on what I want from there. I will hopefully be able to pick it up tomorrow and take it for a good ride around the bush at my parents place so I'll post then what I think of it :frantics:

wear a helmet! especially if you've never been trail riding before!

sender
09-10-2009, 01:25 PM
wear a helmet! especially if you've never been trail riding before!

will do :wink:

I've been dirtbiking and snowmobiling before so I have some old helmets laying around in my parents garage. :frantics::frantics::frantics:

Llamafighter
09-10-2009, 02:13 PM
will do :wink:

I've been dirtbiking and snowmobiling before so I have some old helmets laying around in my parents garage. :frantics::frantics::frantics:

:ninja:EXTREME!:ninja:

rockdawg21
09-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Sender, so how did it go at the bank? If you get it, you've gotta share the pics with us!

Oh, and when you break your first bone, you have to share those too. :laugh:

sender
09-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Sender, so how did it go at the bank? If you get it, you've gotta share the pics with us!

Oh, and when you break your first bone, you have to share those too. :laugh:

Bank was A-O-K! I got it!!
Took it for a nice spin today to figure out what I all need to do!

Needs a nice tune up like oil change, coolant etc.

Front handle bars seem to be a little to the right when its going straigh.. not sure what do do about that.

rear foot break doesnt seem to work but the fron break works awesome!

All in all its in pretty good shape just needs a little TLC... It will be fun working on somthing in my spare time. Reminds me of my old 94 grand prix I used to have... I was under that car every second weekend... time to get some white t-shirts dirty!

rockdawg21
09-11-2009, 03:42 AM
Bank was A-O-K! I got it!!
Took it for a nice spin today to figure out what I all need to do!

Needs a nice tune up like oil change, coolant etc.

Front handle bars seem to be a little to the right when its going straigh.. not sure what do do about that.

rear foot break doesnt seem to work but the fron break works awesome!

All in all its in pretty good shape just needs a little TLC... It will be fun working on somthing in my spare time. Reminds me of my old 94 grand prix I used to have... I was under that car every second weekend... time to get some white t-shirts dirty!
Cool, congrats!

Steering can be a slight problem. I'm not a big expert, but maybe it was wrecked and has a bent spindle, that happened to my Blaster when it rolled down a hill, lol

Better get that rear brake fixed, you certainly don't want to have to rely on the front brake. If the wheels lock and you're going fast enough, you'll do a half flip and the ATV will wind up on top of you, not good!

Sounds like some fun though man, get some photos posted when you get the chance!

sender
09-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Cool, congrats!

Steering can be a slight problem. I'm not a big expert, but maybe it was wrecked and has a bent spindle, that happened to my Blaster when it rolled down a hill, lol

Better get that rear brake fixed, you certainly don't want to have to rely on the front brake. If the wheels lock and you're going fast enough, you'll do a half flip and the ATV will wind up on top of you, not good!

Sounds like some fun though man, get some photos posted when you get the chance!

I don't think its been in any big accidents cause the rest of the bike seems to be in pretty good shape considering its a 98.

But yeh gonna do some work on it hopefully this sunday and next weekend... and then get that bad boy on the trail full throttle... well half throttle at first ofcouse.

sender
09-21-2009, 02:44 AM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs206.snc1/7323_265128215374_504880374_8870501_2297317_n.jpg

BOO YEAH! Worked on it a bit now! still needs a bit of work! but its comming along!

Mac
09-21-2009, 04:03 AM
Awsome Man , Feverybody oughta have a project!!

Your rear brake may just be out of adjustment .

sender
09-21-2009, 04:31 AM
Awsome Man , Feverybody oughta have a project!!

Your rear brake may just be out of adjustment .

aparently they are fine I just have to bleed them. Buddy of mine used to work at a polaris dealership so hes pretty much wrote down for me everything I need to do :D

Only problem is he cant really help me with anything in person cause he lives like 4 hours away now haha

Jessi
09-29-2009, 04:02 PM
OK, well my brother-in-law (who is only 15) has had each of the following ATV's in the past 1.5 yrs!!

KAWASAKI:
(2) Brute Force 750 - had problems with both of them involving brakes.

Teryx 750 - he loved it, but couldn't get down certain trails w/ it he said.

ARTIC CAT:
TRV 1000cc H2 EFI Cruiser - had hand warmers!! But was very bulky and hard to control.

CAN-AM:
800 Outlander XT - this was one of my favorite ones, but he "claimed" it got over-heated too much.

HONDA:
Not sure what is was, but it was his first one....and well you can see he moved on to much bigger and better things!

POLARIS:
850 Sportsman XP EPS - this was the best 4 wheeler I had ever ridden on!!!
You could turn it around by just using your fingertips it turned so good. PLUS the EPS made a HUGE difference in driving as well. I about died when he got ride of it 2 weeks ago!!

Ranger RZR S - (his current ride) I have to say, for a side/side this is one amazing toy! Although I would still recommend the 850 XP EPS!!!!:wink:

Might I add....my brother in law is one spoiled brat!!

atomdanger
09-29-2009, 09:33 PM
My parents just got a lot at this cottage ground thing and they got some awesome ATV trails! I've been looking around for some prices on ATVs but they seem to be rediculously expensive up here!!! im talking like 4000$ for like 10+ year old ATVs WHAT GIVES??

Anyone here know what I should be looking for as far as brands an what not? I'll definitly be buying a used one for hopefully well under 1000$ :wacko:

Seems to be hard to be a poor man these days haha

4K for a 10 year old ATV?? Thats insane.
You can get lower end brand new ATV's for 4K.
(For instance, a BRAND NEW Raptor 250 is 4K,
The Honda TRX 250 is also only 4K)

I mean, you can pick up nice 1 or 2 year old Raptors and other high end ATV's for 4K.
Checkout craigslist.

You should easily be able to find stuff like a Yamaha blaster for 1K - 1500.
At least in my area you can with no problem.

atomdanger
09-29-2009, 09:36 PM

Honda is the best by far IMO,
if you want a sport / racing quad, I swear by my 450.
Nothing better, I jump often and ride it really hard and I have never had a problem with anything.