PDA

View Full Version : A question for the hunters...

Chuck
08-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Hey Forum hunters I have a question for you.

First off I want to make this point clear.. I'm NOT anti-hunting. I don't want to start a hunting debate and I hope this thread doesn't go there. I personally don't care about killing animals. I think they are a managed yet renewable resource so hunt away...but...

I don't get it. What's the sport in hunting? I haven't done it before so I grant you that I'm ignorant. I don't know much about it.

But with modern rifles, scopes, camouflage, deer stands, cameras on trails to tell you where they are (if that's even what they're for) and feed plots? Or something like that? So to me it sounds like you have the deck very much stacked in your favor and I just don't see where the "sport" comes into play.

Can one of you guys explain the whole hunting thing to me? It sounds more like you're going out shooting then it does going out hunting.

Help me out folks... I don't get it... :huh:

internationalharvester
08-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Hey Forum hunters I have a question for you.

First off I want to make this point clear.. I'm NOT anti-hunting. I don't want to start a hunting debate and I hope this thread doesn't go there. I personally don't care about killing animals. I think they are a managed yet renewable resource so hunt away...but...

I don't get it. What's the sport in hunting? I haven't done it before so I grant you that I'm ignorant. I don't know much about it.

But with modern rifles, scopes, camouflage, deer stands, cameras on trails to tell you where they are (if that's even what they're for) and feed plots? Or something like that? So to me it sounds like you have the deck very much stacked in your favor and I just don't see where the "sport" comes into play.

Can one of you guys explain the whole hunting thing to me? It sounds more like you're going out shooting then it does going out hunting.

Help me out folks... I don't get it... :huh:

Chuck: its really hard to describe it to someone who has never done it so first off, if you ever make it up here to IL between October and January I would be more than willing to take you out with me so you can experience it first hand. In all modern equipment does make hunting easier, however it is still by no means easy. A big part of it for me and I'm sure Mac and most other hunters will agree that its not the actual killing of the animal that is why we hunt (obviously its a big part of it, just not all of it) its the time spent outside, the quiet(a big one for me) and maybe more than anything being able to spend time with friends and family. I usually start off my bow season and shoot the first doe I can to get meat in the freezer then from there I wait on a big buck, there have been days that I have passed on as many as 15-20 deer just because they were not of the size I was looking for, and therein lies another big part, even with modern equipment it is very hard to get close to a whitetail with out them knowing you are there........if this doesnt answer your question let me know and I'll be happy to elaborate and I'm sure Mac and some others will have some input as well

Rev
08-31-2009, 11:29 PM
lol, I understand where you are coming from. If you ever get into it, you will understand. Even with all of our techno goodies, the whitetail deer still has the upperhand. His senses are beyond comprehension. It is a challenge, it has been part of us forever. To say that there is no sport in it is just not true. I know some who go out at night and spotlight deer and that is not sport, but to do it the right way is...... well...... very, very American!!! Come on Boys are ya with me!!!!!!

To quote our uncle Ted Nugent, "you cant do this in France!"

But seriously, if it was as easy as walking outside and picking one, I would quit. Bow hunting is the best!!(IMO) you have to get past all of the deer's senses and bring him into within about 45yds and draw without him seeing you, shoot without him seeing or hearing you, and hope that all of your hard work and practice has paid off.

For me, hunting is more that just the hunt. I am a pastor and I dont have any other hobies. Just hunting, I used to train mma, but I got convicted because of the perception people got from seeing a preacher with black eyes. So, now i just hunt in my spare time. I keep food plots up year round, keep track of deer year round. I feel like I am working like a farmer, I sow a seed and care for it all year and when October 1st comes, I get to go and TRY to harvest that sweet back-strap. MMMMMMHHHHHHH!!
The Lord gave us this land to take care of and have fun with. I am doing both and recieving a blessing while doing it.

So I guess to answer your question, can I explain this hunting thing, I guess not.

Rev
08-31-2009, 11:33 PM
From the looks of your sig, internationalharvester, we could be gooooood friends, lol. i hope to get the chance to hunt Il. one day. The time with buddies and family is awesome, my wife hunts with me and we love it.

Chuck
08-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Chuck: its really hard to describe it to someone who has never done it so first off, if you ever make it up here to IL between October and January I would be more than willing to take you out with me so you can experience it first hand. In all modern equipment does make hunting easier, however it is still by no means easy. A big part of it for me and I'm sure Mac and most other hunters will agree that its not the actual killing of the animal that is why we hunt (obviously its a big part of it, just not all of it) its the time spent outside, the quiet(a big one for me) and maybe more than anything being able to spend time with friends and family. I usually start off my bow season and shoot the first doe I can to get meat in the freezer then from there I wait on a big buck, there have been days that I have passed on as many as 15-20 deer just because they were not of the size I was looking for, and therein lies another big part, even with modern equipment it is very hard to get close to a whitetail with out them knowing you are there........if this doesnt answer your question let me know and I'll be happy to elaborate and I'm sure Mac and some others will have some input as well

Well first off brother thanks for the response! I know hunting can be a touchy issue so thanks for the sincere answer.

I would LOVE to try it at least once... and I don't know how many of the "stories" I hear are true but no way in hell I'm drinking some blood or eating an eye ball or some other raw piece of deer.

So if it's just hunting and no "initiation" crap then I'm all in bro!!!

And you sorta answered my questions... I understand the being outdoors part no question... and I would love the fellowship part definitely.

I just don't see the "sport" side.. With all that equipment where does the thrill of competition come in to play? How much skill does it actually take with all of the things in the hunters favor that I mentioned in my first post?

Things like bow hunting or black powder I can understand... but I'm still trying to "get it" when it comes to the other hunting..

Rev
08-31-2009, 11:43 PM
When he steps out and your heart starts beating so hard that you cant hold the rifle or bow still, and you hope he cant hear it. You will understand.

We dont do the drinking deer blood or the eyeball, we do put some blood on your face if it your first one.

Chuck
08-31-2009, 11:50 PM
When he steps out and your heart starts beating so hard that you cant hold the rifle or bow still, and you hope he cant hear it. You will understand.

We dont do the drinking deer blood or the eyeball, we do put some blood on your face if it your first one.

So they sport comes into play via self control? Controlling your breathing, the adrenaline rush etc??

That makes a little sense.. I never thought about that too much. So it's part you vs. deer and part you vs. yourself?

Put the blood on my face all day long... just keep it out of my mouth!!

Oddtodd76
09-01-2009, 02:19 AM
Yes....when that deer comes near your stand...your heart is beating uncontrollably! You start breathing heavy. It is bigger than any rush that i could ever imagine! And then the adrenaline dump after you (hopefully) make that killer shot.

Or you could start off small...Try doves!

Those little (censored) birds fly all over the place. But not around the birdshot of your gun! they are alot of fun! And it is a sport. and they are soo delicious! Your empty shotgun shell to dead bird ratio will be totally offset.
Well, at least mine always is!

internationalharvester
09-01-2009, 02:29 AM
From the looks of your sig, internationalharvester, we could be gooooood friends, lol. i hope to get the chance to hunt Il. one day. The time with buddies and family is awesome, my wife hunts with me and we love it.

haha I would say so lol gotta keep them Bowtech clowns(MAC) in check haha........on another subject its nice to be back at school where things have slowed down and I can actually get on here and post again

internationalharvester
09-01-2009, 02:30 AM
So they sport comes into play via self control? Controlling your breathing, the adrenaline rush etc??

That makes a little sense.. I never thought about that too much. So it's part you vs. deer and part you vs. yourself?

Put the blood on my face all day long... just keep it out of my mouth!!

There ya go haha your gettin it now!

Mac
09-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Its been covered pretty well Chuck , ill just attempt to ad to it.

The sport side of it i would say comes from the chase. Now granted there are alot of hunters that dont practice quality control but more need to.

Its one thing to go out and drop a deer , its a WHOLE new ball game to go out and put TROPHY deer on the wall.
Its alot of things that are to me difficult to explain .

Shooting itself is a sport , it is being enough of a marksman to take down the game you are after . For instance we like to hunt rabbits with beagles , most of the guys i hunt with find it unsportsmanlike to shoot the running rabbits with a shotgun because it is to easy , so we use 22 cal rifles, puts more of a challenge to it .

The market may be flooded with gadgets and gismos but that doesnt give the hunter as much of an edge as you would think . When it boils right down to it they are just that "gadgets and gizmos" . Sure you can hang a trail camera out and get some good photos of a trophy deer , But being able to get him within Bow range and not pick out your scent or movement , or keeping yourself calm and composed enough to make a good clean shot is another thing .

One thing all these companys can crank out the newest hottest items , and mark em up 300% and get fat wallets off these arm chair hunters , but when it gets right down to it , noone will ever produce TALENT OR ABILITY in a box.

Takes alot of effort to do it RIGHT . And that i think is where the sport comes from , there is no sport in ambushing a covey of quail and wiping out an entire covey of 15 birds. There is however sport in taking the time to train the birdog for years , hunting behind the dog , watching him do his thing , whether it be pointing the covey from 20 feet away or honoring the other dogs in the field , and then only taking 3 or 4 birds from the covey so there is still a population to build from .

There is no sport in jumping into a treestand and shotgunning down a fork horn buck "IF YOUR A SEASONED HUNTER " , there is sport however in patterning out that pope and young class buck , getting him within bow range and harvesting the deer after all the work put into it .
I say if your a seasoned hunter because that rule doesnt apply to some folks , youngsters need those expieriances of harvesting the animal , whether it be a small buck or whatever . They are taught game managment as they grow . Also , hunting for meat is another thing , ill usually go out and arrow a doe right off the bat for freezer meat . I may make it sound easy but youll never understand until you try it .

I guess the best way i could put it is this Chuck . Some say football is the toughest sport , some may say soccer or boxing . I say hunting is. The reason? Its the only game i know of that can last for 3 months , involves you spending COUNTLESS hours in the timber , sometimes in below zero temperatures for hours on end , Miles and Miles of ground being hiked over while loaded with all the equipment needed , tree stands , guns bows , blinds , etc. , with no promise of scoring at the end . It can all be waisted with a few bad decisions , you could have done everything exactly right and be at the moment of truth when that monster buck steps out , and move your hand wrong and blow your cover , or flinch on the shot and blow the whole thing.

And thats just the game , Not the training.

Mac
09-01-2009, 02:38 AM
haha I would say so lol gotta keep them Bowtech clowns(MAC) in check haha........on another subject its nice to be back at school where things have slowed down and I can actually get on here and post again

Hey , im not bashing Matthews . Amatures gotta have a bow to and matthews seems to fill the bill in the amature market !:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One day youll realise youve just been being silly all these years , and when you come to that realization , there will be a bowtech in your hand.

internationalharvester
09-01-2009, 03:05 AM
Hey , im not bashing Matthews . Amatures gotta have a bow to and matthews seems to fill the bill in the amature market !:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One day youll realise youve just been being silly all these years , and when you come to that realization , there will be a bowtech in your hand.

haha you keep tellin yourself that, although I will admit the new Monster by Mathews while fast is one of the worst bows I have ever shot. The Reezen on the other hand is hands down the best bow I have ever shot its fast and throws ropes.....it will be interesting to see how Bowtech becomes now that they got bought out....then again Savage will most likely leave them alone

Rev
09-01-2009, 09:10 PM
It cant hurt to be owned by savage.:wink:

Blmfighter
09-02-2009, 04:08 PM
I do think that some of the devices out there can give you a upper hand. I love to go hunting. When I go it is just us and guns. I don't have any dogs, or calls or anything else that might give me an edge. The only things that I have that the old timers didn't have are a better outfit, compound bow instead of recurve, and a better gun.

I keep it old school. I'm running out of places to hunt up here so I'm not about to invest money in to hunting when I only have public land to go to and Im not sure if I will have that much longer.

If anybody wants to get together and hunt this season let me know.

internationalharvester
09-02-2009, 09:42 PM
It cant hurt to be owned by savage.:wink:

haha true that true that

MattHughesRocks
09-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Don't let them fool you Chuck! They hunt animals because humans are illegal :w00t:

internationalharvester
09-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Don't let them fool you Chuck! They hunt animals because humans are illegal :w00t:

...:ninja: haha j/k

Oddtodd76
09-03-2009, 01:39 AM

It is?:scared0011:
There is people that get away with it all the time in this town!

Rev
09-03-2009, 09:27 PM

that's almost word for word what my cousin said, right before he shot my DXT and went out and bought one.:blink:

Rev
09-06-2009, 10:45 PM
I have a young couple in my congregation and they came over to my house the other evening. We ended up in the back yard shooting my bow, he told his wife that he wanted one and she said that they could possibly afford one by Christmas. He was bummed but what could he say, bills got to get paid. One of the other couples who were at my house that night had a buddy call them the next day and ask if they knew if anyone who was looking for a good bow for a good price. He had a Bowtech General dressed out with a case and only wanted 350 for it. They called me and we started trying to get some money together to get this bow for our friend and the guy called back and said that if this guy was in church and would put the bow to good use he would just give it to him for free!!! FREE!!!! We go and pick it up and it has only been shot about 50 times and never in the woods, just the back yard. The guy said he had been blessed in his life and just felt like he was supposed to pass it on.

How awesome is that?!?!?!?!?!?

Mac
09-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I have a young couple in my congregation and they came over to my house the other evening. We ended up in the back yard shooting my bow, he told his wife that he wanted one and she said that they could possibly afford one by Christmas. He was bummed but what could he say, bills got to get paid. One of the other couples who were at my house that night had a buddy call them the next day and ask if they knew if anyone who was looking for a good bow for a good price. He had a Bowtech General dressed out with a case and only wanted 350 for it. They called me and we started trying to get some money together to get this bow for our friend and the guy called back and said that if this guy was in church and would put the bow to good use he would just give it to him for free!!! FREE!!!! We go and pick it up and it has only been shot about 50 times and never in the woods, just the back yard. The guy said he had been blessed in his life and just felt like he was supposed to pass it on.

That is just to AWSOME Rev. Just awsome.

Chuck
09-06-2009, 11:29 PM

God is so good!

If that guy ever feels led to get rid of a motorcycle let me know!:)

Neezar
09-07-2009, 12:37 AM
God is so good!

If that guy ever feels led to get rid of a motorcycle let me know!:)

:laugh:

Or a 52" Flat screen TV.

That is an awesome story.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
09-11-2009, 08:48 AM

That is great! That type of story makes me feel good!

I use to hunt Rabbits with Beagles and Shotgun! I liked seeing and hearing the Dog's run,it was good to be out and I liked eating Rabbits! In fact since the wife brought home a Basset/Australian Shepherd cross I'm thinking about seeing if I can turn it into a Rabbit dog. I'd like to get some use out off that dog. We should get rid of her but She cheats and makes you like her!

Crisco
09-11-2009, 01:50 PM

That's awesome man. I wish I had a group like you have. It's hard to find Christian people where I live and when I bring it up it gets very heated and I find it's best to drop it before I push them further away.

Why NJ ignores God I'll never know.

Hair gel must be holy spirit repelent.

Rev
09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
lol. Move down here.

que
09-12-2009, 12:26 AM
i wouldn't call myself a hunter but i have hunted and killed animals before for hunting purposes. at least for me... i did it because of one thing: fun.

there is nothing like taking the life of another living creature and knowing that you just took it's life out of this world. not because it is dead, but because of the feeling of ultimate dominance over a lesser creature, it's an adrenaline rush to experience such power and gives much self-gratitude. it's a rush. i can definitely see why alot of people get addicted to it very easily. i can only imagine ultimate fighting can give the same rush. as brock lesnar says.. there is nothing like the rush over dominating a lesser man... beating the crap out of him and breaking him physically and mentally.

bradwright
09-12-2009, 01:09 AM
i wouldn't call myself a hunter but i have hunted and killed animals before for hunting purposes. at least for me... i did it because of one thing: fun.

there is nothing like taking the life of another living creature and knowing that you just took it's life out of this world. not because it is dead, but because of the feeling of ultimate dominance over a lesser creature, it's an adrenaline rush to experience such power and gives much self-gratitude. it's a rush. i can definitely see why alot of people get addicted to it very easily. i can only imagine ultimate fighting can give the same rush. as brock lesnar says.. there is nothing like the rush over dominating a lesser man... beating the crap out of him and breaking him physically and mentally.

your just kidding...right Que ?:unsure-1:

Chuck
09-12-2009, 01:24 AM

That's probably the same feeling a murderer gets.... :blink:

bradwright
09-12-2009, 01:26 AM
That's probably the same feeling a murderer gets.... :blink:

thats kinda what i was thinking:scared0011:

bradwright
09-12-2009, 01:44 AM

if anybody is in the market for a hit man i think you just might be in luck.:scared0015: