PDA

View Full Version : Can you name the 10 Commandments?

Play The Man
08-29-2009, 05:13 PM
I was reading a small book by J.I. Packer about the 10 Commandments. There has been a lot of controversy in our country over the past couple decades about the 10 Commandments being posted in courthouses or in other public places. I was curious as to how many of the Commandments the average Christian has memorized. Without consulting a Bible, computer, etc. try to recite as many of the 10 Commandments as you can recall. After you have committed yourself, you can check a reference to see how many you had correct. Please post your score. Please do not post the Commandments that you got right or wrong as this will mess it up for anyone that reads your post.

adamt
08-29-2009, 06:25 PM
I was reading a small book by J.I. Packer about the 10 Commandments. There has been a lot of controversy in our country over the past couple decades about the 10 Commandments being posted in courthouses or in other public places. I was curious as to how many of the Commandments the average Christian has memorized. Without consulting a Bible, computer, etc. try to recite as many of the 10 Commandments as you can recall. After you have committed yourself, you can check a reference to see how many you had correct. Please post your score. Please do not post the Commandments that you got right or wrong as this will mess it up for anyone that reads your post.

i got 10 for 10 and in order, but when this thread heats up I will post a little commentary, because their might only be nine commandments

further thought......

i would like to take a worldwiew test test, though it costs money, i think the best one is at nehemiah institute.com

i hear many many christians fail miserably and quite a few pastors do too....

VCURamFan
08-29-2009, 07:03 PM
10 for 10. The song helps. :laugh:

Chuck
08-29-2009, 07:45 PM
I could do 8 and Jen also did 8.

I won't say which 2 I forgot but let's just say I got a little "speech" about one of the 2 I forgot.... :wink:

Play The Man
08-29-2009, 08:54 PM
10 for 10. The song helps. :laugh:

What song?

philips4
08-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I didn't know there was a song! :happydancing: That might have helped! I got 9 out of 10, not too bad!

Chris F
08-29-2009, 11:59 PM
i got 10 for 10 and in order, but when this thread heats up I will post a little commentary, because their might only be nine commandments

further thought......

i would like to take a worldwiew test test, though it costs money, i think the best one is at nehemiah institute.com

i hear many many christians fail miserably and quite a few pastors do too....

I got 10/10 as for only nine depends if you are catholic or not.

Josh
08-30-2009, 06:34 AM
I can name six or seven. While I would like to see the ten commanments posted publically they do not include the gospel directly so I would be concerned that people would try to obey them and think that somehow they are going to heaven. Recently I have been trying to memorize more scripture than I used to and those would be good to memorize.

Tyburn
08-30-2009, 05:36 PM
There are around 300 commandments in the Law :unsure:

As for the One within the Ark....:unsure-1:

I got most of them right...but have no clue about the order, except for the first :laugh:

adamt
08-30-2009, 06:49 PM
There are around 300 commandments in the Law :unsure:

As for the One within the Ark....:unsure-1:

I got most of them right...but have no clue about the order, except for the first :laugh:

well the first four are about God and the last six are about fellow man.....

the fourth.... the sabbath..... it doesn't exactly say thou shalt..... is it really a command????

also they are all repeated in the new testament except the sabbath one.......

VCURamFan
08-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I could do 8 and Jen also did 8.

I won't say which 2 I forgot but let's just say I got a little "speech" about one of the 2 I forgot.... :wink:Wait, lemme guess: Thou shalt not leave thy dirty socks in the middle of the floor & Thou shalt not forget to bring home milk after work?:laugh:

Chris F
08-31-2009, 01:00 AM
well the first four are about God and the last six are about fellow man.....

the fourth.... the sabbath..... it doesn't exactly say thou shalt..... is it really a command????

also they are all repeated in the new testament except the sabbath one.......
it is mentioned by actions as well as the pharisees using it to try to trap Jesus as well as Paul mentions its end in Galatians

adamt
08-31-2009, 09:12 AM
it is mentioned by actions as well as the pharisees using it to try to trap Jesus as well as Paul mentions its end in Galatians

verse please... and please keep it in context

rearnakedchoke
08-31-2009, 05:27 PM
I got 10/10 as for only nine depends if you are catholic or not.
i am catholic .. i only have 9 commandments?

Tyburn
08-31-2009, 05:56 PM
i am catholic .. i only have 9 commandments?
:laugh: Only Chris would say Catholics Diminish the Bible, most blame Catholics for adding Church Doctrine which would make for billions of Commandments :laugh:

Chris F
08-31-2009, 06:28 PM
:laugh: Only Chris would say Catholics Diminish the Bible, most blame Catholics for adding Church Doctrine which would make for billions of Commandments :laugh:
I said nothing of the sort, glad to see you still think you can speak for me. The Catholics leave out graven images and combine the last two. Give it a rest Dave.

Chris F
08-31-2009, 06:38 PM
verse please... and please keep it in context

For which statement?

The Pharisees Matthew 12:1-12, Mark 2:21-28, Mark 3:2-4, Luke 6:1-9, John 5:9-18, John 9:14-16

Jesus obeying it Mark 1:21, Mark 6:2, Luke 4:16, Luke 4:31,

Paul ending it was in Colossians not Galatians and it is in 2:16

Tyburn
08-31-2009, 07:14 PM
I said nothing of the sort, glad to see you still think you can speak for me. The Catholics leave out graven images and combine the last two. Give it a rest Dave
Where I come from, 9 is less then 10, therefore, if one only believes in 9 rather then 10, they have reduced the commandments.

Reduction equates to diminished.

Here endeth the first lesson :)

logrus
08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
1. It's ok to call hooters knockers and sometime snack trays.
2. It is wrong to be French.
3. It is ok to put all bad people into a giant meat grinder.
4. Lawyers, see # 3
5. It is ok to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes.
6. Everyone should car pool, except me.
7. Bring back the word stewardesses
8. Synchronize swimming is not a sport.
9. Mud wrestling is a sport.

These are your 10 commandments.

(taken from a sitcom):scared0015:

Chris F
08-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Where I come from, 9 is less then 10, therefore, if one only believes in 9 rather then 10, they have reduced the commandments.

Reduction equates to diminished.

Here endeth the first lesson :)

I would agree. But I never said they diminished it. You drew that conclusion on your own. Thus you assumed and made a sweeping generalization. Bottom line you spoke for me and said I said something i did not thus ends you first of many lessons. You interpretation of what I wrote is not a superior validation to what I am saying I said. I am the author and I am saying I am in no way infering they dished the bible. You are and I just happen to agree.

Tyburn
08-31-2009, 09:12 PM
I would agree. But I never said they diminished it. You drew that conclusion on your own. Thus you assumed and made a sweeping generalization. Bottom line you spoke for me and said I said something i did not thus ends you first of many lessons. You interpretation of what I wrote is not a superior validation to what I am saying I said. I am the author and I am saying I am in no way infering they dished the bible. You are and I just happen to agree.
Your problem is you never actually say what you mean...or rather, instead of being clear, you make stupid remarks, which logically dont lead to the point you meant.

Is it logic to assume the guy who says that Roman Catholics only follow 9 out of 10 Commandments, means they are, obviously, diminishing the Bible? ABSOLUTELY

But, you claim thats not what you meant, so you should have been more specific, or why say something like that at all.

So, Chris, from now on, leave nothing to interpretation, and make sure your statements lead to logical conclusions, because at present neither is true.

Here ends the second lesson :laugh:

Chuck
08-31-2009, 09:41 PM
So, Chris, from now on, leave nothing to interpretation, and make sure your statements lead to logical conclusions, because at present neither is true.

Brother I love ya and I'm not trying to take sides here but that's not bad advice to consider yourself...

From the outside looking in I would have to say that Chris is just as guilty at being vague (He often is) as you are at reading too much into what people post (you do).

Here ends the first interruption. :laugh:

Rev
08-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Brother I love ya and I'm not trying to take sides here but that's not bad advice to consider yourself...

From the outside looking in I would have to say that Chris is just as guilty at being vague (He often is) as you are at reading too much into what people post (you do).

OH SNAP!! :scared0015:

Tyburn
08-31-2009, 10:09 PM

Chuck. Now is not the time. :angry:

Neezar
08-31-2009, 10:12 PM

:happy0198:

Chuck
08-31-2009, 10:17 PM

That's why it's called an interruption silly!!!!! :D

Carry on... I'll be quiet now.... :Whistle:

Maglorius
09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
When the pharisees were trying to test Jesus and asked him of the commandments which is the greatest. As we know he replied: Matt 22:34 But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" 37And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38This is the great and first commandment. 39And a second is like it:You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets."

The first four of the ten commandments teach us how to love God and the next Six teach us how to love our neighbor. It is ten not nine. It may not say though shall for the sabbath but it is still listed with the rest of the commandments.

I could only get 8. I always forget the same two when ever this test comes up.

eric84
09-01-2009, 10:33 PM
10/10, but I always get the order mixed up. I'm really glad we don't have 300+ of them, most people have a hard time remembering the 10.

Chris F
09-02-2009, 02:15 AM
Your problem is you never actually say what you mean...or rather, instead of being clear, you make stupid remarks, which logically dont lead to the point you meant.

Is it logic to assume the guy who says that Roman Catholics only follow 9 out of 10 Commandments, means they are, obviously, diminishing the Bible? ABSOLUTELY

But, you claim thats not what you meant, so you should have been more specific, or why say something like that at all.

Dave- True or false Catholics in their bible have a different set of commandments? In their liturgy do they not focus on a different set then we do? In the answers of those question you will find what I am saying. This is a forum that is not conducive to me explaining myself fully. If I did my post would be 15 pages long. So common sense and assumption of biblical literacy is assumed on my part which is where i make the mistake.

Chris F
09-02-2009, 02:17 AM

Chuck you are a funny man. :laugh: I know I am vague, it opens the doors to more discussion.

rearnakedchoke
09-02-2009, 02:56 AM
Dave- True or false Catholics in their bible have a different set of commandments? In their liturgy do they not focus on a different set then we do? In the answers of those question you will find what I am saying. This is a forum that is not conducive to me explaining myself fully. If I did my post would be 15 pages long. So common sense and assumption of biblical literacy is assumed on my part which is where i make the mistake.
i don't know i have been studying as a catholic my whole life and always knew of it as the 10 Commandments and not the 9 ...

Chris F
09-02-2009, 04:51 PM
i don't know i have been studying as a catholic my whole life and always knew of it as the 10 Commandments and not the 9 ...

W/O giving away the thread I cannot really show you where the differ. If you like I can PM the 9 they have so you can see the difference. I think where Dave and others are getting confused is the number. Yes they have ten, but not the same ten because they leave one out and replace it with one we have combined into one. Hopefully that does not revel too much for this thread.

I think I can say this also w/o revealling too much as well. The Catholic church says since verse divisions were a medieval invention (it was not by the way, that came much later) they do not leave it out the simply think it was merely combined into 1. Protestants simply divide thiers at different points. So really their arguement sounds like an excuse more than an explanation. My opinion and interpertation of their beliefs of course. Which is the point of a forum is it not

Tyburn
09-02-2009, 05:22 PM
The Catholic church says since verse divisions were a medieval invention (it was not by the way, that came much later) they do not leave it out the simply think it was merely combined into 1. Protestants simply divide thiers at different points.
You learn a new thing every day. That I did not know

bradwright
09-03-2009, 12:42 AM
i got 4 right.....is that bad ?:unsure-1:
oh and by the way Chuck i actually got one of the one's you missed,
cant believe you forgot that one if you are married.:wink:

Chuck
09-03-2009, 01:14 AM
i got 4 right.....is that bad ?:unsure-1:
oh and by the way Chuck i actually got one of the one's you missed,
cant believe you forgot that one if you are married.:wink:

Oh believe you me I'll never forget it again!!! I got an ear full!!!!! :)