PDA

View Full Version : Is a Church Necessary?

Llamafighter
08-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I have a question and it is 100% sincere. As I have respect for everyone here (in varying ammounts) I feel comfortable asking it.
Does a man or woman NEED a church or an organized religious affiliation. If he follows Christ with his Bible and his heart, does he need the influence of others?

VCURamFan
08-28-2009, 05:12 PM
I have a question and it is 100% sincere. As I have respect for everyone here (in varying ammounts) I feel comfortable asking it.
Does a man or woman NEED a church or an organized religious affiliation. If he follows Christ with his Bible and his heart, does he need the influence of others?My answer is yes, most definitely. The Bible clearly lays out the importance of the fellowship of believers. When I get a sec I'll grab my concordance & pull some verses for ya (assuming that someone else on here doesn't get to it first).

Crisco
08-28-2009, 05:36 PM
My answer is yes, most definitely. The Bible clearly lays out the importance of the fellowship of believers. When I get a sec I'll grab my concordance & pull some verses for ya (assuming that someone else on here doesn't get to it first).

The word Church is relative.

Because there are only catholic churches in my area I have turned this forum into my church and I learn much from it and it really strenghtens my faith to see everyone doing the same

NateR
08-28-2009, 05:46 PM
The important thing is fellowship and accountability with other believers. It's not about joining a Church or assigning yourself a demonational-label.

Tyburn
08-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Does a man or woman NEED a church or an organized religious affiliation. If he follows Christ with his Bible and his heart, does he need the influence of others?
Short answer: NO

There are two meanings of the word "Church" One is a religious affiliation to a particular denomination, although useful, its not a requirement. The other is membership of the Communion of Saints...which is made of all Believers for all eternity, if you are Saved, your part of that already.

Attending Church can be useful becasue it ensures that you are forced to at sometime worship and pray, which is important to GOD, and useful to those who need to get their priorities right. Its also good to provide a community.

Churches are Base Camps in the Spiritual War, and the Christians are the Soldiers. It is always useful to have support, people who will pray for you, people who will advise you, people who can teach you. But its not improbable that many believers have gone there whole life without really attending a Church

I attended, infrequently, Christ Church on The Stray...but really, I learn more about Christianity and have more support from this section of the Forum. Church is supposed to fulfil the Christian Community Lifestyle which is nurtured in the New Testament by the Early Church...but aside from praise, this website pretty much fulfils that function...and its a lot less political then a church also, and you get more perspective as its eccumenical, and not sponcered by one particular denomination.

Hope that helps :)

atomdanger
08-28-2009, 06:11 PM
The important thing is fellowship and accountability with other believers. It's not about joining a Church or assigning yourself a demonational-label.

So, in theory you could have more casual get together with other Christians, friends, etc.... and discuss god and that is just as good?

NateR
08-28-2009, 06:29 PM
So, in theory you could have more casual get together with other Christians, friends, etc.... and discuss god and that is just as good?

Yep, never once does the word "church" in the New Testament refer to a building. It's always to an assembly of believers. So, your "church" could be in a coffee shop, someone's home, an abandoned warehouse, or just out in the woods somewhere. It's the people that are important to GOD, not the location.

Now the Bible does specify that it has to be "two or more" so this is not a solitary location. A solitary place where you go to spend one-on-one time with GOD would be more accurately referred to as a "prayer closet." Both are actually necessary for a healthy Christian walk.

And your church service doesn't have to be overly formal with all the rituals and ceremonies. It can just be a simple Bible study.

rearnakedchoke
08-28-2009, 07:24 PM
well being catholic, i feel that jesus asked to do this in memory of me, and through celebration of the eucharist, we are doing as he asked, and that is how we interpret it ... also, listening to the readings each week and reflecting on them, can't hurt ... but using church as "ticket" to heaven is wrong ... people think that going to church and acting un-Christian like the rest of the week is fine ... my parents think my brother is a saint cuz he takes his wife and kids to church, sitting in the front row each week ,,, than goes and cheats on his wife during the week .... how saintly

Tyburn
08-28-2009, 07:32 PM
well being catholic, i feel that jesus asked to do this in memory of me, and through celebration of the eucharist, we are doing as he asked, and that is how we interpret it ... also, listening to the readings each week and reflecting on them, can't hurt ... but using church as "ticket" to heaven is wrong ... people think that going to church and acting un-Christian like the rest of the week is fine ... my parents think my brother is a saint cuz he takes his wife and kids to church, sitting in the front row each week ,,, than goes and cheats on his wife during the week .... how saintly

The issue of a lack of proper church is Communion and Praise/Worship.

Unless you could get your informal group of friends to do it. We are supposed to praise and sing hymns which doesnt usually happen outside of a church, and Communion can happen in low and house churches...but for example...if you were to take MHForum as your church, it is divoid of the Eucharist, and of Praise/Worship.

Both, good points.

However...neither is a matter of Salvation. According to the Roman Catholic Believef you dont have to receive Communion at all...all through the dark ages, only the Priest accepted the bread and wine, and that was behind a curtain that noone could see. They all knew by the ringing of a Sanctuary Bell.

So in all honnesty, you have to remember that Traditional Catholicism only requires your presence at a Eucharist Service...it doesnt require that you receive.

Chuck
08-28-2009, 11:18 PM
The issue of a lack of proper church is Communion and Praise/Worship.

Unless you could get your informal group of friends to do it. We are supposed to praise and sing hymns which doesnt usually happen outside of a church, and Communion can happen in low and house churches...but for example...if you were to take MHForum as your church, it is divoid of the Eucharist, and of Praise/Worship.

Both, good points.

However...neither is a matter of Salvation. According to the Roman Catholic Believef you dont have to receive Communion at all...all through the dark ages, only the Priest accepted the bread and wine, and that was behind a curtain that noone could see. They all knew by the ringing of a Sanctuary Bell.

So in all honnesty, you have to remember that Traditional Catholicism only requires your presence at a Eucharist Service...it doesnt require that you receive.

Excellent post Dave! I was just going to say that... I think Worship should be a large part of our relationship with Christ... As long as you're incorporating that into your walk with Christ the I think church in a less formal setting is just fine.

Chris F
08-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Church as a building or a denomination did not exist in scripture because it was an underground movement for years. However Jesus and all his disciples as well as the 1st century apostles attends the Synagogues regularly. When Paul went into a new city he preached their first. So the bible is clear that church attendance is so important that Jesus and the apostles saw to it themselves. Good enough for them it must be good enough for us. To use the excuse that there were not organized churhces etc etc is a cop out and there is no way to justify it in the bible. Book of Hebrews is clear not to forsake the gathering of yourselves together. If you do not like church then find a group of believers and have regular meetings and fellowship. Before you all start your persecution of what I said, please look at scripture and then show me where anyone of the apostles or Jesus ever say anything about avoiding any assembly.

Play The Man
08-29-2009, 06:06 AM
I think that the question we should ask ourselves is not "Is Church necessary?" but "Is it wise to avoid going to Church?". I think that the answer to the revised question is "No".

que
08-29-2009, 06:43 AM
you asked two questions, in the thread title you asked if it is necessary and then inside the thread you asked if you "NEED" church. i believe people need church but i don't believe it is a necessity. christians didn't have church thousands of years ago and they got along fine without it. "church" is simply a manmade institution created after the bible was written and after Jesus lived and died on earth. many modern christians focus on the concept of "church" more than focusing on what christianity is really about in the first place. the important thing is to believe in Jesus Christ. that is what makes you a christian, not church

MattHughesRocks
08-29-2009, 06:59 AM
And of course it's nice and sometimes helpful to be around other Christian people to kinda...remind you of how you need to be acting as we can "forget" when left alone too often :unsure-1:

Tyburn
08-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Excellent post Dave! I was just going to say that... I think Worship should be a large part of our relationship with Christ... As long as you're incorporating that into your walk with Christ the I think church in a less formal setting is just fine.
:) thanks Chuck.

You will find that I try and include some praise on the Forum by way of videos that I post, often the ones in the video thread are some form of praise. I give you an example...its one of my favourites :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSb1-9i-fDA

Sing along Chuck :w00t:

Tyburn
08-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I think that the question we should ask ourselves is not "Is Church necessary?" but "Is it wise to avoid going to Church?". I think that the answer to the revised question is "No".
I would say that sometimes its best not to get into the heirachy of the church and not to get into employment with the church. Its a terrifically political institution, its like working for Government or something, and I speak from experience as one who in my Christian Journey has actually been perminently damaged in what you might consider "friendly fire" I suppose...I personally think it was actually an attempted assasination from an infiltrated spy, who probably isnt christian in the first place...but who knows, as all four of them hold high office within the Church perhaps its just a case of fallen individuals.

So I am not too keen on "getting involved" in a church anymore. I go so that I may listen to the surmon and hear the mass (I dont receive either anymore), but my accountability, my main teaching is done through this forum, and my worship is usually done alone at work where I can sing to my hearts content locked in a gigantic walk in fridge for the better part of the day (yes its sound proof also :laugh: )

Chuck
08-29-2009, 03:36 PM
:) thanks Chuck.

You will find that I try and include some praise on the Forum by way of videos that I post, often the ones in the video thread are some form of praise. I give you an example...its one of my favourites :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSb1-9i-fDA

Sing along Chuck :w00t:

That was pretty cool Dave. The slide show was beautiful!

Tyburn
08-29-2009, 06:34 PM
That was pretty cool Dave. The slide show was beautiful!

There used to be a similar slide show to the track below, but it vanished from youtube, however, the same really fabulous version of the music, minus the slide show is still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUwCePIjGe8

:w00t:

Tyburn
08-29-2009, 06:45 PM
:unsure-1: but you liked the slide show also...so here is another of my favourites with a slide show this time :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTK0dX0-TNs

:ashamed:

Chris F
08-30-2009, 12:41 AM
you asked two questions, in the thread title you asked if it is necessary and then inside the thread you asked if you "NEED" church. i believe people need church but i don't believe it is a necessity. christians didn't have church thousands of years ago and they got along fine without it. "church" is simply a manmade institution created after the bible was written and after Jesus lived and died on earth. many modern christians focus on the concept of "church" more than focusing on what christianity is really about in the first place. the important thing is to believe in Jesus Christ. that is what makes you a christian, not church

good observation

Vizion
08-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Impressed with all the scripture dropping I see around here :laugh:

I have heard a lot of people over the years say they don't have to go to chruch to believe in God. Well, duh. What I also tend to see in said people is the lack of Christian living in their lives. Hmm....corralation....yeeeaaa methinkso...:blink:

Its about being together, strength in numbers and all that - this verse ought to sum it up best.

Hebrews 10:24 we are told to not forsake or cease the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Chris F
08-30-2009, 01:04 AM

I have heard a lot of people over the years say they don't have to go to chruch to believe in God. Well, duh. What I also tend to see in said people is the lack of Christian living in their lives. Hmm....corralation....yeeeaaa methinkso...:blink:

Its about being together, strength in numbers and all that - this verse ought to sum it up best.

Hebrews 10:24 we are told to not forsake or cease the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Glad you posted that. I was thinking the same thing but I was affraid they would accuse me of being prideful and then hijack the thread to gripe about what I said. Great points!!

Chuck
08-30-2009, 02:01 AM

When my friends ask me that question I always give them the same answer...

You don't have to go to batting practice to be a baseball player.... but it certainly helps you be a better player ;)

Vizion
08-30-2009, 02:46 AM
When my friends ask me that question I always give them the same answer...

You don't have to go to batting practice to be a baseball player.... but it certainly helps you be a better player ;) It's funny you mention...you see...not critiizing you Chuck, but Chuck is Chuck, while God is God. That's why I'd rather lean on scripture...for as it says in

Hebrew 4:12 - "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

Vizion
08-30-2009, 02:51 AM
Chuck = "any two edged sword" :laugh:

Rev
08-30-2009, 03:02 AM
I am sorry, and I expect to be beaten for this, but I must respectfully disagree.

Hebrews 10:24 says that we should "forsake not" the word used for forsake is better translated “abandon.” In order to forsake(abandon) something, you must have an obligation or duty. You guys cant argue with me on this, I have been through it from both sides. For years I said that church attendance wasnt necessary, but after alot of study and conviction I must say that he makes it clear that it is. I am not saying that you have to go out and join this church or that, I am saying that the "assembling" is vital. Look at the verse again:

25. not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

By saying that we dont have to assemble together as a body of believers(Church) arent we becoming part of the "some" it speaks of?

So to answer the question, yes it is necessary. God's word says so. We add all of the other rules and nonsence. As part of the "body" we should be together. How would your body function with parts missing? I am not plugging any denomination or church, but if you are close to a good body of true believers than I feel, NO, I know that you should "forsake not the assembling" of yourself with them.

If I sound preachy, I respectfully do not appologize. I know it might sound lame but I honnest to God felt led to post this. I have been avoiding it like the plague, but it is my job to "rightly devide the word of truth". I respect your opinions and hope that you read and listen to what I wrote with an open heart.

Now I am ready for my beating.:laugh:

Rev
08-30-2009, 03:27 AM
Yep, never once does the word "church" in the New Testament refer to a building. It's always to an assembly of believers. So, your "church" could be in a coffee shop, someone's home, an abandoned warehouse, or just out in the woods somewhere. It's the people that are important to GOD, not the location.

Now the Bible does specify that it has to be "two or more" so this is not a solitary location. A solitary place where you go to spend one-on-one time with GOD would be more accurately referred to as a "prayer closet." Both are actually necessary for a healthy Christian walk.

And your church service doesn't have to be overly formal with all the rituals and ceremonies. It can just be a simple Bible study.

I have a group of pastor friends and we gather and basically have church at a hunting camp for a few days every december during a hunting trip.

Vizion
08-30-2009, 03:50 AM
Totally agree with REV. Spot on.

Chris F
08-30-2009, 04:11 AM
I am sorry, and I expect to be beaten for this, but I must respectfully disagree.

Hebrews 10:24 says that we should "forsake not" the word used for forsake is better translated “abandon.” In order to forsake(abandon) something, you must have an obligation or duty. You guys cant argue with me on this, I have been through it from both sides. For years I said that church attendance wasnt necessary, but after alot of study and conviction I must say that he makes it clear that it is. I am not saying that you have to go out and join this church or that, I am saying that the "assembling" is vital. Look at the verse again:

25. not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

By saying that we dont have to assemble together as a body of believers(Church) arent we becoming part of the "some" it speaks of?

So to answer the question, yes it is necessary. God's word says so. We add all of the other rules and nonsence. As part of the "body" we should be together. How would your body function with parts missing? I am not plugging any denomination or church, but if you are close to a good body of true believers than I feel, NO, I know that you should "forsake not the assembling" of yourself with them.

If I sound preachy, I respectfully do not appologize. I know it might sound lame but I honnest to God felt led to post this. I have been avoiding it like the plague, but it is my job to "rightly devide the word of truth". I respect your opinions and hope that you read and listen to what I wrote with an open heart.

Preach It sir!!!!!

Chris F
08-30-2009, 04:13 AM

:punch: bad Rev :whip: How dare you use the bible to convict

Chuck
08-30-2009, 06:36 AM

Maybe I've missed something but I think that's what most everybody here is saying.... I don't believe though that a gathering of the saints has to = attending "church" as in a weekly service. I think that's the easiest and most practical way to do it but I don't believe that's the only way.

Chuck
08-30-2009, 06:37 AM
It's funny you mention...you see...not critiizing you Chuck, but Chuck is Chuck, while God is God. That's why I'd rather lean on scripture...for as it says in

Hebrew 4:12 - "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

Aren't we saying the same thing?? :huh:

Rev
08-30-2009, 07:40 PM
It just seems to me that now days people dont want to "go to church" they want to gather and not call it church. What is the difference?! To gather together in his name is to have church. It seems like even among "christians" church has become an ugly word.

Tyburn
08-30-2009, 08:14 PM
It just seems to me that now days people dont want to "go to church" they want to gather and not call it church. What is the difference?! To gather together in his name is to have church. It seems like even among "christians" church has become an ugly word.
IMHO thats because The Established Church is begining to fail its own.

The Church in terms of an inner country Evangalism machine got dealt a major blow because when the Enlightenment went up against the Roman Catholic Church, secularism was the outcome, mostly because the foolish Church could not accept simple science which later she realized she could unify without comprimising the Bible. She had already put people off including her own flock, by centuries of abused and missused power. From an outsiders perspective though even the Reformation was only like a Christian Civil War, it didnt actually make Protestantism anymore viable then Romanism...so much so...more people are turning to paganism then before, and its seeing a revival, NEW AGE...is infact OLD AGE RECYCLED.

So outsiders can be put off by Internal Disputes within the Church Denominations, and by denial of the obvious even when it doesnt contradict scripture.

Church has also lost its magic, by that, I mean its mysticism. People need mysticism, that is why most of them have turned back to the old idols, because they provide something exciting and mysterious, and because they supposedly are alive with power. Church...quite frankly, is boring, standardized...and there is now no longer room for anything spiritual. In the past the Church got round this by putting up a huge curtain, so the masses couldnt see the Eucharist, to save them from the power of exposure to GOD, they also made fine cathedrals designed to inspire the masses, because of size, wealth and because they were built in an age where they couldnt be matched, finally, they spoke in latin so it sounded mysterious aswell, noone could understand english let alone latin...so it was an awefilled spectical.

But now a UFC Venue can be larger then a Cathedral, some office blocks in US Cities, taller and more majestic then Cathedrals, anyone can learn any language, and the sudden magic is lost. Now the ceremonies are viewed as stupid, outdated, boring, wastes of time, noone even likes them, let alone is deeply inspired by them

...well the same is beginning to happen to the Christians also. Coupled with the dawning realization of the above, is the fact that churches have also lost their Monastic and Community based roots.

When do you see the Church open as a market place for people to meet and trade? They used to...thats why Virgers were invented, and its just another thing, like the curtain, that was stolen from the Jewish synagogs. Churches are becoming oppresive, and they are becoming irrelevent even to their own. They are so filled with insitutionalized politics, boring ceremonials, and guided only by a synod, that they provide no friendship, no support, no community living...rather then being an everyday part of the community...they are a sunday segregation...even the Christians Abhore.

I should know. I've worked for a real big one, and though I cherish it deeply...I can see where Christondom outside of the United States is heading...backwards...its going back underground, back into free churches, back as if it were oppressed...and it is...not only be secularism...but now by massive denominations that are begining to be more hassle and more danger then they are worth...noone wants a coorperation to run religion any more then they do the State.

Thats fine...its the way it has to be. The Church flourishes best when actively persecuted because then it has to stop thinking about itself, and start thinking about GOD again...and also...the Anti-Christ cant take power whilst the Church remains a well-loved and well governed institution. It must be made low so that the Messiah can come back.

But...its sad non the less...I feel much empathy with Jeremiah who, whilst he completely understood and aggreed with GOD, was absolutely heartbroken when GOD left the Temple and it was ruined...he was devistated to see bits of the sanctuary scattered in the dirty streets...Having served for Saint Paul's Cathedral...I know I would be mortified if anything ever happened to the place, for what it stands for...if nothing else, for simply bearing a cross on top and daring, regardless, to be a symbol of whats fast becoming at best an irrelveant faith, at worst, a hated faith by those on the outside...and a slowly dying and abandoned version of the faith, from those on the inside.

This btw is Saint Pauls :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlVas1itjSo (outside/inside shots)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3cwvca50jM (during a service)

Jonlion
08-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Glad you posted that. I was thinking the same thing but I was affraid they would accuse me of being prideful and then hijack the thread to gripe about what I said. Great points!!

Let go of the bitterness buddy, it is unbecoming of you.

God Bless

Chris F
08-31-2009, 02:04 AM
Let go of the bitterness buddy, it is unbecoming of you.

God Bless

Thats not it Jon I was just being ornery because of another thread. I am so far from bitter about anything on here. I do not take anyhting that goes on here personal or to serious. But people seem to like to think I do. :)

Chuck
08-31-2009, 02:41 AM
Thats not it Jon I was just being ornery because of another thread. I am so far from bitter about anything on here. I do not take anyhting that goes on here personal or to serious. But people seem to like to think I do. :)

Perception is reality though right brother?

NateR
08-31-2009, 02:50 AM

You make a good point, I had never looked at the word "forsake" that way.

My big problem with saying that Church attendance is mandatory is that some people make the mistake of believing that it is a requirement for salvation.

Mark
08-31-2009, 03:34 AM
Short answer: NO

Churches are Base Camps in the Spiritual War, and the Christians are the Soldiers. It is always useful to have support, people who will pray for you, people who will advise you, people who can teach you. But its not improbable that many believers have gone there whole life without really attending a Church

I attended, infrequently, :)

I disagree with your no, and couldn't disagree with you more.
Church is like base camp. If you get attacked and you are outside the base camp what will happen to you? But if you are inside there will be some casualties but far better than the outside. Mark

atomdanger
08-31-2009, 05:40 AM

I think this concept.

I definitely am more comfortable with a bible study with friends than church.

Llamafighter
08-31-2009, 05:46 AM
My computer has been down, but I have been reading this thread on my cell and appreciating all the responses. my comp is now fixed and i wanted to thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts.

MattHughesRocks
08-31-2009, 06:00 AM
Yeah, now off to church you go!

My computer has been down, but I have been reading this thread on my cell and appreciating all the responses. my comp is now fixed and i wanted to thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Rev
08-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah, now off to church you go!
lol yeah!

God bless, hope we helped

Chuck
08-31-2009, 11:01 PM
I think this concept.

I definitely am more comfortable with a bible study with friends than church.

How come?

MattHughesRocks
09-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Maybe he's only been to a couple of churches in his area and they suck?

How come?

cubsfan47
09-01-2009, 01:32 PM
That may be. Sometimes it could be so hard to decide that someone just gives up; well maybe for a while.
What has happened in my area is that there has been an explosion in the number of "new" churches. I personally have a hard time discerning the differences between them. The choices may appear to be bewildering.

But I like what Billy Graham said about choosing a church; in so many words it was this; either they preach the cross of Christ or they don't.