PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Kidnapped girl shows up 18 years later

MattHughesRocks
08-27-2009, 06:18 PM
A woman kidnapped as an 11-year-old girl nearly two decades ago from outside her South Lake Tahoe home has surfaced in Concord, and two people are in custody, authorities and the woman's stepfather said today.

Jaycee Dugard, now 29, walked into the Concord Police Department on Wednesday, stunning police and family members who had all but lost hope that she was still alive 18 years after she was kidnapped.

Law-enforcement sources said Phillip Craig Garrido, 58, of Antioch and his wife, Nancy Garrido, 55, were arrested in connection with the case. Phillip Garrido was being held in lieu of $1 million bail at Contra Costa County Jail in Martinez on suspicion of kidnapping, rape by force, lewd and lascivious acts with a minor, sexual penetration and conspiracy.

Nancy Garrido was being held on suspicion of conspiracy and kidnapping. Her bail was also $1 million.

Dugard's stepfather, Carl Probyn, 60, of Orange (Orange County) told The Chronicle today that his wife, Terry, called him at about 4 p.m. Wednesday with the news he never thought he'd hear.

"She basically said, 'Are you sitting down?' I said, 'Yes.' And she said, 'They found Jaycee - she's alive.' "

The two, who are separated, cried for about two minutes on the phone.

Terry Probyn was able to speak on the phone with her daughter. "She sounds normal. She told my wife she remembers everything," Carl Probyn said.

Federal records show that Phillip Garrido has a rape conviction and served time in the federal prison in Leavenworth, Kan. He was charged in 1976 and released in 1993, the records show.

Concord police have declined comment, referring inquiries to the El Dorado County sheriff's office. An FBI official confirmed the account today. A news conference is scheduled for this afternoon in Placerville.

Dugard was last seen on June 10, 1991, as she was walking to a bus stop in South Lake Tahoe. Dugard, a blue-eyed, blond 11-year-old dressed in a pink top and pink pants, set out to catch the bus to her school near South Lake Tahoe. She never made it.

As Probyn watched helplessly from the family's driveway on a hill about two blocks away, a two-tone gray sedan pulled up and someone yanked the girl into the car and sped off. Even though officers responded within minutes, no trace of the car or girl was ever found.

Dugard's mother was reportedly on her way from her Southern California home to reunite with her daughter.

"I gave up hope for 18 years, just went into recovery mode," said Carl Probyn, a wallpaper contractor. "I thought it would be nice just to recover her and capture the people and find out why they did this.

"Now, I just won the lotto. It's just unbelievable. This is going to be a great day today."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/27/BA4N19EJ35.DTL

rearnakedchoke
08-27-2009, 07:03 PM
i don't get it? how did she go missing in 91 and he was released from prison in 93? or was the wife the one that took her and what? kept her for 2 years til he got out??? i am confused, or i read something wrong ...

Mac
08-27-2009, 09:24 PM
i don't get it? how did she go missing in 91 and he was released from prison in 93? or was the wife the one that took her and what? kept her for 2 years til he got out??? i am confused, or i read something wrong ...

Mannnnn , good eye , you oughta be a detective , that never even clicked when i was reading it .

County Mike
08-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Or someone else kidnapped her, held her for a while, then sold her to this couple? Crazy. Hope she's able to recover mentally. It must have been horriblle.

MattHughesRocks
08-28-2009, 02:48 AM
And the news is still unfolding...seems the girl has a 15 & 11 year old daughters with this man.They lived in tents in the back yard....I imagine even more will come out with time...

Phillip Garrido was arrested on suspicion of kidnapping, rape by force, lewd and lascivious acts with a minor, sexual penetration and conspiracy. His wife was booked on suspicion of conspiracy and kidnapping.

Neighbors in an unincorporated, semi-rural area outside Antioch described Phillip Garrido as a strange man. They and other acquaintances said he conducted religious revivals in a tent, claimed to hear the voices of angels and said he had developed a device through which he could control sound with his mind.

Dugard apparently was kept for much of the time in a shed, authorities said. She and her daughters were also housed in tents and outbuildings in a part of the Garridos' back yard not easily visible from outside the property on Walnut Drive, authorities said.

The daughters were 15 and 11, said El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar, whose agency is leading the investigation because Dugard was snatched from his county. Garrido fathered both girls, he said.

One of the sheds where the girls were living could only be opened from the outside, he said, and rudimentary toilets and electrical hookups were set up nearby.

That Dugard was found in such living conditions was appalling, he said, but more important was the fact that she was found at all.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/27/BA4N19EJ35.DTL&tsp=1

Play The Man
08-29-2009, 06:17 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6103102/Jaycee-Lee-Dugard-alleged-kidnapper-launches-bizarre-defence.html

Mr Garrido, gave a bizarre and sometimes incoherent phone interview to KCRA-TV from the El Dorado County jail.

According to investigators Mr Garrido allegedly raped Miss Dugard and fathered two children with her, the first when she was about 14. Along with Miss Dugard, who is now 29, the children, both girls now 11 and 15, were also kept hidden away from the world in the backyard compound of the Garrido house in California.

In the interview, Mr Garrido he said he had not admitted to the kidnapping and that he had turned his life around since the birth of his first daughter 15 years ago.

"Wait until you hear the story of what took place at this house," Mr Garrido said.

"You are going to be completely impressed. It's a disgusting thing that took place with me at the beginning. But I turned my life completely around and to be able to understand that, you have to start there.

"You're going to find the most powerful story coming from the witness, the victim - you wait. If you take this a step at a time, you're going to fall over backwards and in the end, you're going to find the most powerful heart-warming story."

:mad0233:

MattHughesRocks
08-29-2009, 06:27 AM
Gets stranger by the minute.Seems they are now looking at him for possible murders of prostitutes in the 90's as well.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/28/BAE119FAJL.DTL&tsp=1

Pure evil he is....

Play The Man
08-29-2009, 11:49 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08292009/news/nationalnews/kidnap_beast_is_eyed_in_10_slays_187032.htm?&page=3

Garrido served 11 years of a 50-year sentence and was out, on lifetime parole, by 1988.

Our justice system absolutely infuriates me. If this man had just served his sentence, he never would have been in a position to commit the subsequent egregious crimes.

Garrido, Campbell said in a press conference yesterday, was "clearly unstable;" the girls were pasty white, as if they'd never been in the sunlight.

Dressed in drab attire, the girls were like "Little House on the Prarie meets robots, clones," and "non-responsive," she said.

She called in officer, Ally Jacobs, who did a background check, found Garrido was a registered sex offender, and called him in for a meeting with her and Campbell.

In the meeting, the girls -- who spoke in unison, "like robots," Jacobs said -- avoided eye contact as they told the women they were in fourth and ninth grades and were homeschooled.

I can't even comprehend the psychological damage he has done to the kidnapped woman and the two girls, whose only experience with the world has been a tent in a sex-offenders backyard.

MattHughesRocks
09-01-2009, 02:55 AM
Sure enough! Bones in the backyard! :scared0011:

They were actually in the backyard of the house next door...where he used to live as the care taker :unsure-1:

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE58006320090901

It's like he's a real life boogy man :scared0011: