PDA

View Full Version : Bible banned at TUF 10 house

Play The Man
08-26-2009, 07:58 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/15976/tuf-10-fighter-brendan-schaub-on-banned-bible-kimbo-steaks-and-big-countrys-balling.mma

Based on Brendan Schaub's sneak peak of "The Ultimate Fighter 10," the latest installment of the UFC's popular reality series, MMA fans have plenty of reasons to check out Spike TV each Wednesday night.

Schaub, an undefeated fighter who will blog about "TUF 10" for MMAjunkie.com, today joined MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) to discuss the reality show.

Some of today's topics? A banned Bible, Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson's superb steaks, Roy "Big Country" Nelson's surprising basketball skills, and a very real feud between coaches Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans.

"TUF 10" features 16 heavyweight competitors in the show's traditional tournament format. The show debuts Sept. 16 after a broadcast of UFC Fight Night 19, and the live finale takes place Dec. 5 in Las Vegas.

As with past seasons of the show, fighters are given few options (besides training) to pass the time while in the TUF house. No televisions, books, magazines, computers, iPods or anything else. In fact, Schaub said one fighter's request to bring a Bible into the house was denied.

"There's literally nothing to do but stare at each other," Schaub said. "I don't care how much you like a guy ... (but) it's going to create some drama.

"It's like 'Shawshank Redemption,' but you get a ton of free TapouT gear."

I wonder if this was in reaction to Mr. Hughes passing out Bibles during his stint as coach on TUF?

Maldonado136
08-26-2009, 08:20 PM
theyll do anything to get good television

Chuck
08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm fine with that... as long as they don't allow any other books.... seem fair. Unfortunate.. but fair.

Llamafighter
08-26-2009, 08:42 PM
does anyone know if they're allowed to write while they're there (journal, etc)?

Crisco
08-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Well they can paint so I'm assuming they can write.

rockdawg21
08-26-2009, 09:04 PM
So, the Bible is banned, but the fighters are free to tear up the house, curse at each other, steal each others' food, pee in each others' food, masturbate into each others' food, etc.? Makes perfect sense to me. :rolleyes:

VCURamFan
08-26-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't think this is actually as big a deal as it might first seem. They're not singling out the Bible, they just aren't making an exception for it. As nice as it would be for them to allow a Bible in the house, it's not a horrible act of discrimination.

If you remember from TUF 6, Matt said he had to smuggle the Bibles into the gym & they weren't allowed to take them back to the house.

Chuck
08-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I don't think this is actually as big a deal as it might first seem. They're not singling out the Bible, they just aren't making an exception for it. As nice as it would be for them to allow a Bible in the house, it's not a horrible act of discrimination.

If you remember from TUF 6, Matt said he had to smuggle the Bibles into the gym & they weren't allowed to take them back to the house.

Hmmmm...

Gym = China....
House = ????

VCURamFan
08-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Gym = China
House = US SchoolsFixed.

Chuck
08-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Fixed.
Perfect!!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-26-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't see how or why they would ban the Bible or the Muslim or Jewish version of the Bible!

rockdawg21
08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't see how or why they would ban the Bible or the Muslim or Jewish version of the Bible!
So, in other words, take the Bible and wrap a mylar of the Koran around it and then the person could claim racism and sneak in the Bible? Not that I'm advocating that in the least as this would be a sin I would think, but just pointing out the possible double-standard.

Chuck
08-26-2009, 10:35 PM
So, in other words, take the Bible and wrap a mylar of the Koran around it and then the person could claim racism and sneak in the Bible? Not that I'm advocating that in the least as this would be a sin I would think, but just pointing out the possible double-standard.

I think you misunderstood... I believe he's saying they should allow the Bible, Quoran and Torah....

Chris F
08-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Actually it is a violation of their 1st amendment rights no contract can violate a persons sincerely held religious beliefs. SO if one trully felt like bible reading was a part of their belief system then Zuffa by law would have to accommodate same is true for the Koran, Book of Moron etc. So there must not have been any real Christians in the TUF house because they cannot keep one from reading it. Many forsake their rights without a fight. Funny how they will pummel each other for money but let their constitutional rights go without a peep.

Chuck
08-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Actually it is a violation of their 1st amendment rights no contract can violate a persons sincerely held religious beliefs. SO if one trully felt like bible reading was a part of their belief system then Zuffa by law would have to accommodate same is true for the Koran, Book of Moron etc. So there must not have been any real Christians in the TUF house because they cannot keep one from reading it. Many forsake their rights without a fight. Funny how they will pummel each other for money but let their constitutional rights go without a peep.

I'm far from an expert on Constitutional law but could they sign a contract knowingly surrendering their right... then turnaround and claim it was denied them?

Would that hold up in court? I know prisoners for example can be denied books including holy books.

Chris F
08-26-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm far from an expert on Constitutional law but could they sign a contract knowingly surrendering their right... then turnaround and claim it was denied them?

Would that hold up in court? I know prisoners for example can be denied books including holy books.

Well in bible college we were forced to take a class on constitutional law as it pertains to churhces and religious institutions. Richard Hammar a leader in Church law as well the dean from Regent's law school both said that no contract can take away a persons constitutional right. Since torts are essentially governed by law and no law can be made to hinder ones right to the free exercise of their religion. This actually was tested on another reality show "Big Brother" They could not keep the person from bringing in their bible. So they changed the rules to accommodate. However Chuck you have a great point about signing a deal that suspends ones rights. Not sure how it might play in courts. My guess would be Zuffa must accommodate.

As for prisoners that was also tested in the SCOTUS and the only religion that is not allowed in jail in Native American peyote Churches. They claim since it is considered a controlled substance and not a part of a cultrual religion. I will see if I can find the case.

Chuck
08-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Well in bible college we were forced to take a class on constitutional law as it pertains to churhces and religious institutions. Richard Hammar a leader in Church law as well the dean from Regent's law school both said that no contract can take away a persons constitutional right. Since torts are essentially governed by law and no law can be made to hinder ones right to the free exercise of their religion. This actually was tested on another reality show "Big Brother" They could not keep the person from bringing in their bible. So they changed the rules to accommodate. However Chuck you have a great point about signing a deal that suspends ones rights. Not sure how it might play in courts. My guess would be Zuffa must accommodate.

As for prisoners that was also tested in the SCOTUS and the only religion that is not allowed in jail in Native American peyote Churches. They claim since it is considered a controlled substance and not a part of a cultrual religion. I will see if I can find the case.

I know prisoners in solitary for example aren't allowed anything including bibles... I'm willing to be it would come down to what the courts define as "practicing" their religion... ie. you don't need a Bible to be a Christian.. they could still pray, worship etc... or perhaps books could be banned but a time of worship would have to be allowed each day??? Just thinking out loud here...

Chris F
08-27-2009, 12:40 AM
I know prisoners in solitary for example aren't allowed anything including bibles... I'm willing to be it would come down to what the courts define as "practicing" their religion... ie. you don't need a Bible to be a Christian.. they could still pray, worship etc... or perhaps books could be banned but a time of worship would have to be allowed each day??? Just thinking out loud here...

Yeah I see your point. I know certain crimes cause you to actually forfeit your constitutional rights which is that not a law hindering free worship? So you make excellent points. Not sure in this case one can however compare the TUF house to involuntary prison.

MattHughesRocks
08-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Good post Ben. It's threads like this that keeps the National Enquirer in business :laugh:

Chuck
08-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah I see your point. I know certain crimes cause you to actually forfeit your constitutional rights which is that not a law hindering free worship? So you make excellent points. Not sure in this case one can however compare the TUF house to involuntary prison.
Excellent point... prisoners have a code of conduct they follow... the TUF dudes are just a bunch of animals :wink:

bradwright
08-27-2009, 01:28 AM
So, the Bible is banned, but the fighters are free to tear up the house, curse at each other, steal each others' food, pee in each others' food, masturbate into each others' food, etc.? Makes perfect sense to me. :rolleyes:

very childish and inappropriate behavior if you ask me and i'm not sure how they think they will ever grow an audience showing that kind of vile and disgusting stuff....it just sickens me.( when does the new season start ?:unsure-1: )

MattHughesRocks
08-27-2009, 01:35 AM
:laugh: I was wondering the same thing and I'm a grown woman....:unsure-1:

very childish and inappropriate behavior if you ask me and i'm not sure how they think they will ever grow an audience showing that kind of vile and disgusting stuff....it just sickens me.( when does the new season start ?:unsure-1: )

rockdawg21
08-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Did you do that on purpose? :stirthepot:

Chris F
08-27-2009, 04:05 AM
Did you do that on purpose? :stirthepot:

Did I really I do that? I guess it was a freudian slip. No offense meant towards Eric and the other LDS followers.

rearnakedchoke
08-27-2009, 11:57 AM
maybe rampage will pass out bibles to his team when he gets there ...

cubsfan47
08-27-2009, 01:09 PM

This is the real question. Probably has cost them a lot of viewers, including me. Doesn't do much for the image of MMA in general. I didn't watch the last season and won't watch this one. But what do they care? Maybe this programming has brought in a lot of new viewers.

County Mike
08-27-2009, 03:04 PM
The last season didn't really have much house drama/destruction. It's a shame they didn't have better fighters.

logrus
08-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Last 2 seasons I only watched like the last 5 minutes of TUF. I think I might watch more of it only cause Rampage is funny.

jason2130
08-27-2009, 04:27 PM

the fighters prolly could fight it to get a bible in the house, however regardless if they are in the right or not, Fitch (a bigger named fighter) got fired for a videogame, i would imagine a relatively no named fighters career in the UFC would be short lived if they are already dragging zuffa to court before they have even fought 1 time

MattHughesRocks
08-27-2009, 06:30 PM
They sign a contract when they go in.It says you can't have XYZ in the house, one item being books which would include a bible.Those guys signed it agreeing.It isn't prison and they are being denied.You can't sign the contract then go in and cry about not being able to bring in a bible.You can live without a bible for a few weeks.You don't need anything to pray.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-27-2009, 07:34 PM
A good attorney could cause them lots of trouble if this is true! To provide booze but deny religious material would make them look extremely bad!

Chuck
08-27-2009, 08:19 PM
A good attorney could cause them lots of trouble if this is true! To provide booze but deny religious material would make them look extremely bad!

Perhaps but how is it illegal?

que
08-27-2009, 08:28 PM
that might be a good thing... seeing as how crazy rampage's christian beliefs are.

remember, he thought God told him to save his friend from the devil or else his friend would die? so he sped to his friends house, ran from cops and crashed into a lady's car which caused her to have a miscarriage? we don't need anything like that on TUF. maybe the producers are thinking, 'better safe than sorry'.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Perhaps but how is it illegal?

I believe that would be considered infringing up on someones freedom of Religion!

MattHughesRocks
08-28-2009, 02:51 AM
Are you not reading my posts:blink: ? They aren't "trapped" in the house and denied a bible.These guys signed on for it.You can't sue for that :doh:

Chris F
08-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Are you not reading my posts:blink: ? They aren't "trapped" in the house and denied a bible.These guys signed on for it.You can't sue for that :doh:

You are not reading my post either. The courts have ruled already that a reality show cannot deny a bible to a person with a sincerely held religious belief. So your logic is rationale and you are being sorta beliegerent towards kentuckyredbone who was simply making an observation. I think the only question that is valid was Chuck's theory of a temporary suspension of said rights which is very possible, much like those in solitary. But since there is precedence a good lawyer could do very well. However, Zuffa no doubt has some very sly tort doctors

I think what you are trying to say is since they do not have to participate and can walk away then they are not being told they can not have their bible. This was argued in the Big Brother case but there is a little thing called equal access. On e cannot be denied the same thing as another person just because of a held belief.. This same clause is being used against the Boy Scouts. So the real question is how the wording is on the bible issue. If they just limp it in with books then they will loose. If they say all religion expression is denied (which is not true) they would loose. So how they wrote the contract is the real question. CBS settled because they said all book were banned and the lawyers argued the bible is not a book and CBS caved. I see your point but it is not that simple when the law is the issue.

MattHughesRocks
08-28-2009, 04:53 AM
Exactly.

You are not reading my post either. The courts have ruled already that a reality show cannot deny a bible to a person with a sincerely held religious belief. So your logic is rationale and you are being sorta beliegerent towards kentuckyredbone who was simply making an observation. I think the only question that is valid was Chuck's theory of a temporary suspension of said rights which is very possible, much like those in solitary. But since there is precedence a good lawyer could do very well. However, Zuffa no doubt has some very sly tort doctors

I think what you are trying to say is since they do not have to participate and can walk away then they are not being told they can not have their bible. This was argued in the Big Brother case but there is a little thing called equal access. On e cannot be denied the same thing as another person just because of a held belief.. This same clause is being used against the Boy Scouts. So the real question is how the wording is on the bible issue. If they just limp it in with books then they will loose. If they say all religion expression is denied (which is not true) they would loose. So how they wrote the contract is the real question. CBS settled because they said all book were banned and the lawyers argued the bible is not a book and CBS caved. I see your point but it is not that simple when the law is the issue.

Chris F
08-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Exactly.
Well then if you are not reading them then you have no clue the flow of logic in this discussion and you simply speaking out of ignorance then.

MattHughesRocks
08-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Whos speaking out of ignorance? I said I wasn't reading (there fore not responding) to your posts.I never do except right now.Your post aren't required reading you know.

Well then if you are not reading them then you have no clue the flow of logic in this discussion and you simply speaking out of ignorance then.

Bonnie
08-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Do y'all really think the UFC doesn't have a zillion lawyers that look over contracts including for TUF. That wouldn't be very "logical" would it. A million or maybe billion dollar company (especially ZUFFA) not doting their "i's" and crossing their "t's".

The guy who wanted to bring his bible and was told "NO BOOKS ALLOWED--including the Bible", he's still there, isn't he, in the house, without his Bible. Michelle was simply pointing out the obvious using logic and common sense.

Michelle, I think "Kentucky" probably read your post, but was being a typical male, and just ignored your point because his point might be legally flawed otherwise. :laugh: I run into this problem all the time with my hubby. If I say black, he's going to say white. :rolleyes: :laugh:

And, Chris, you can't go around diss'n a sista. :tongue0011:

NateR
08-28-2009, 02:32 PM
These guys temporarily sign away their Constitutional rights in order to be on this show. In addition to their freedom of religion, they also sign away their freedom of speech (since they can't tell anyone the outcome of the show before it airs) among other rights (I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to carry firearms around in the house either).

If they want a career with Zuffa, then they are going to play by Zuffa's rules. Do I agree with the banning of religious materials in the house? Not at all! Could they make a big Constitutional stink out of it? Sure, they could. However, they better win the show because Zuffa is not going to look too kindly upon that legal black-eye and that particular fighter could pretty much kiss his future in the UFC goodbye.

ufcfan2
08-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Welcome to nighttime soap opera that is the UFC. I think Dana needs to give himself the ' Do you wanna be a fighter speech' or 'does he wanna make soap opera's.
I think u can create drama w/o banning television, Ipods,books etc... I totally agree its okay to get **** faced,pee and other bodily fluids in foods,but to read a book isn't okay...

ufcfan2
08-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I believe that would be considered infringing up on someones freedom of Religion!
But do u need the bible to practice ur religion? You can make do w/o for 6weeks,though I agree to deny any book is just so wrong and its not hurtin' nothin. i guess they are afraid of ppl sitting in their rooms reading and not interacting.

MattHughesRocks
08-28-2009, 03:23 PM
And one! :laugh:

The rules are the rule are the rules.You sign for it, deal with it and quit crying about it.(Not you personally Bonnie:Whistle: )

Do y'all really think the UFC doesn't have a zillion lawyers that look over contracts including for TUF. That wouldn't be very "logical" would it. A million or maybe billion dollar company (especially ZUFFA) not doting their "i's" and crossing their "t's".

The guy who wanted to bring his bible and was told "NO BOOKS ALLOWED--including the Bible", he's still there, isn't he, in the house, without his Bible. Michelle was simply pointing out the obvious using logic and common sense.

Michelle, I think "Kentucky" probably read your post, but was being a typical male, and just ignored your point because his point might be legally flawed otherwise. :laugh: I run into this problem all the time with my hubby. If I say black, he's going to say white. :rolleyes: :laugh:

And, Chris, you can't go around diss'n a sista. :tongue0011:

Neezar
08-28-2009, 04:03 PM
So your logic is rationale and you are being sorta beliegerent towards kentuckyredbone who was simply making an observation.

Believe me, if Michelle was being belligerent there wouldn't be any sorta to it? Do you look for any opening to be insulting?

Edit***
nevermind. You don't have to answer. :dry:

Chuck
08-28-2009, 11:27 PM
But do u need the bible to practice ur religion? You can make do w/o for 6weeks,though I agree to deny any book is just so wrong and its not hurtin' nothin. i guess they are afraid of ppl sitting in their rooms reading and not interacting.
Bingo!

Chris F
08-29-2009, 12:58 AM
These guys temporarily sign away their Constitutional rights in order to be on this show. In addition to their freedom of religion, they also sign away their freedom of speech (since they can't tell anyone the outcome of the show before it airs) among other rights (I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to carry firearms around in the house either).

If they want a career with Zuffa, then they are going to play by Zuffa's rules. Do I agree with the banning of religious materials in the house? Not at all! Could they make a big Constitutional stink out of it? Sure, they could. However, they better win the show because Zuffa is not going to look too kindly upon that legal black-eye and that particular fighter could pretty much kiss his future in the UFC goodbye.

I think this is the enitre point in a nutshell as others have pointed out. Do you really want to make a stink if you plan to achieve your dream. Most would say no because they do not have a sincerely held belief that the bible is mandatory reading. Few have this much commitment to God.

Chris F
08-29-2009, 12:59 AM
Bingo!

I second that bingo and add they might get convicted and not get drunk and destroy the house either.

Chris F
08-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Whos speaking out of ignorance? I said I wasn't reading (there fore not responding) to your posts.I never do except right now.Your post aren't required reading you know.

Thus the reason I said what I did. Had you read it you'd know that what you said to kentuckyredbone was insane ludicrous. "Better to remain silent and appear a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt." But of course you won;t read this post either so I guess I am just listening to myself talk as usual :)

Rev
08-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Chris F, are you talking to yourself again?:blink: :Whistle: :huh:

Chris F
08-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Chris F, are you talking to yourself again?:blink: :Whistle: :huh:
Of course I am. No one else really cares anyhow so if I am going to go 75,000 dollars in debt for a college education you bet I am going to share it even if it is just to hear myself talk.