PDA

View Full Version : window busted

Oddtodd76
08-26-2009, 01:56 AM
I was mowing this weekend and i shattered a sunroom window in my house.
it is a 3' x 7' safety glass window. I about got sick. I never did see what came out of the mower.
It has a warranty on it, but of course, i am playing phone tag with the company. No one ever answers. I leave a message...well, you know the deal.
I think I am going to have my insurance start calling the sunroom company.

Todd

Bonnie
08-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Wow, it must have been a pretty good shot to shatter that safety glass. I'm just glad it (whatever it was) didn't hit you or someone else.

Good luck with the warranty stuff--hope they don't give you any grief about covering the glass. :wink:

Chuck
08-26-2009, 02:51 AM
well look at it this way Todd... a guy down the road from me was mowing his lawn yesterday and got bit by a pygmy rattler......

Personally I'll take the broken window...

Either way I'm sorry to hear about the pain in your glass.... hope it gets fixed soon!! :wink:

MattHughesRocks
08-26-2009, 03:31 AM
well look at it this way Todd... a guy down the road from me was mowing his lawn yesterday and got bit by a pygmy rattler......

Either way I'm sorry to hear about the pain in your ass.... hope it gets fixed soon!! :wink:

Fixed! :w00t:

Chuck
08-26-2009, 03:34 AM
No BROKE.... silly!!!

Buzzard
08-26-2009, 03:41 AM

Either way I'm sorry to hear about the pain in your glass.... hope it gets fixed soon!! :wink:

I caught a rattlesnake once, and once I had it I didn't know what to do with it. I wound up letting it go. Pygmies are cool, unless you get bitten. I hope your neighbor recovers.

So far this year we have seen a garter snake and a baby eastern king snake in my yard. I keep hoping to see more, but I'll take what I can get. We have a lot of copperheads around here but haven't seen any around my house. Maybe it's because there is a family of the kings out here.

Once when I was living in CA I had a big rock sent flying at my car from a guy mowing a field. Left a nice big dent in the fender area. I always like to wear eye protection even if I am on the riding mower. My eye protection has literally saved my eyes during a weed-wacking adventure.

Chuck
08-26-2009, 03:52 AM
I caught a rattlesnake once, and once I had it I didn't know what to do with it. I wound up letting it go. Pygmies are cool, unless you get bitten. I hope your neighbor recovers.

So far this year we have seen a garter snake and a baby eastern king snake in my yard. I keep hoping to see more, but I'll take what I can get. We have a lot of copperheads around here but haven't seen any around my house. Maybe it's because there is a family of the kings out here.

Once when I was living in CA I had a big rock sent flying at my car from a guy mowing a field. Left a nice big dent in the fender area. I always like to wear eye protection even if I am on the riding mower. My eye protection has literally saved my eyes during a weed-wacking adventure.

There was a news story on last night that said 9 people in the Tampa Bay area had been bit by rattlesnakes this summer... that's a decent chunk!

I'm still trying to find another snake to add to the household but no luck so far. Tons of generic yard snakes.. a few around 4ft which is a decent size for a yard snake but none that I want to keep. About 5 miles north of me they pulled an 8ft Burm out of a drainage ditch.. I would have loved to get that one. My buddy does pest control and I've told him if he ever comes across anything big to call me... I'll come a runnin!!!!:)

MattHughesRocks
08-26-2009, 03:58 AM
I caught a lady bug once as a little kid.Didn't know what to do with it so I put it in a plastic bag then squished it :unsure-1:

Bonnie
08-26-2009, 04:34 AM
I caught a lady bug once as a little kid.Didn't know what to do with it so I put it in a plastic bag then squished it :unsure-1:

Most people ask themselves, "Where did I go wrong? What did I do to deserve this?"

:Whistle:

:laugh:

Buzzard
08-26-2009, 04:38 AM
There was a news story on last night that said 9 people in the Tampa Bay area had been bit by rattlesnakes this summer... that's a decent chunk!

I'm still trying to find another snake to add to the household but no luck so far. Tons of generic yard snakes.. a few around 4ft which is a decent size for a yard snake but none that I want to keep. About 5 miles north of me they pulled an 8ft Burm out of a drainage ditch.. I would have loved to get that one. My buddy does pest control and I've told him if he ever comes across anything big to call me... I'll come a runnin!!!!:)

I just read a story today of a man in New Tampa who was bitten by a Pygmy Rattlesnake on Aug. 3rd and lived.

I currently have no snakes, but would love to get some more greensnakes. I liked them because feeding them was a breeze, especially in the summer. My yard is full of food for them. I gave up pair of breeding blacksnakes, along with an albino one a few years back. It was always cool to see a new clutch of eggs and hatching them out.

A friend of mine had a beautiful 15' Burm years ago, first time I ever heard a rabbit scream was during a feeding day. That sound is embedded in my brain forever.

Oh yeah, I forgot we have a bunch of ringnecks around here too.

MattHughesRocks
08-26-2009, 05:34 AM
I didn't. I just blamed the stupid lady bug.I hate bugs :laugh:

Most people ask themselves, "Where did I go wrong? What did I do to deserve this?"

:Whistle:

:laugh:

Bonnie
08-26-2009, 05:50 AM
I didn't. I just blamed the stupid lady bug.I hate bugs :laugh:

I hate bugs too, but a lady bug is different. She's good luck. God knows how much havoc you wreaked on your karma with that one "squish"! :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
08-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Well that would certainly explain my childhood! Damn bugs! Hey..in case your wondering...lady bugs are yellow on the inside :mellow:

I hate bugs too, but a lady bug is different. She's good luck. God knows how you much havoc you wreaked on your karma with that one "squish"! :laugh:

adamt
08-26-2009, 10:47 AM

i liked to catch june bugs and tie thread to their legs and walk them like a dog..... only they were flying. then let them go. later that day it was always fun seeing a thread float through the air attached to a bugs leg :laugh:

Oddtodd76
08-26-2009, 10:56 AM

Good lord!

County Mike
08-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Well that would certainly explain my childhood! Damn bugs! Hey..in case your wondering...lady bugs are yellow on the inside :mellow:

and they stink really bad when you squish them.

cubsfan47
08-26-2009, 11:59 AM
:w00t: :ashamed:

Chuck
08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I just read a story today of a man in New Tampa who was bitten by a Pygmy Rattlesnake on Aug. 3rd and lived.

I currently have no snakes, but would love to get some more greensnakes. I liked them because feeding them was a breeze, especially in the summer. My yard is full of food for them. I gave up pair of breeding blacksnakes, along with an albino one a few years back. It was always cool to see a new clutch of eggs and hatching them out.

A friend of mine had a beautiful 15' Burm years ago, first time I ever heard a rabbit scream was during a feeding day. That sound is embedded in my brain forever.

Oh yeah, I forgot we have a bunch of ringnecks around here too.

LOL.. yeah I can tell you from firsthand experience that rabbits scream... and they sound just like a woman... long story but here is the short version....

bought rabbit for Odie I (12ft Burm)
Put rabbit in cage..
Odie gets rabbit
rabbit screams
Chuck screams
neighbors hear screaming
neighbors call 911
police come to Chucks apartment
police knock really loud
Chuck answers
Police have hands on holstered weapon
Chuck almost screams again
Chuck shows Odie eating his rabbit to police
Police and Chuck watch Odie eat
Police think it's cool
neighbors hate Chuck

The end. :)

Twinsmama
08-26-2009, 02:33 PM
do you still have that big snake? do you keep them forever (until they die)? are you scared they will get out of the cage and give you the squeeze. oh i suppose you probably have them locked up right? how often do you have to feed them and how do you know when they are hungry. sorry don't mean to sound dumb i just don't know much about snakes.

oh funny story i read your story something touched my leg under my desk and i screamed!!:laugh: it was a chord! :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
08-26-2009, 02:58 PM
And I can picture all of this and I'm laughing my ass off :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL.. yeah I can tell you from firsthand experience that rabbits scream... and they sound just like a woman... long story but here is the short version....

Put rabbit in cage..
Odie gets rabbit
rabbit screams
Chuck screams
neighbors hear screaming
neighbors call 911
police knock really loud
Chuck answers
Police think it's cool
neighbors hate Chuck

Preach
08-26-2009, 03:06 PM
I once saw a dead hummingbird but I will leave that story open to interpetation

Preach
08-26-2009, 03:07 PM

Put rabbit in cage..
Odie gets rabbit
rabbit screams
Chuck screams
neighbors hear screaming
neighbors call 911
police knock really loud
Chuck answers
Police think it's cool
neighbors hate Chuck

I soooo see you doing this

Buzzard
08-26-2009, 05:17 PM

Put rabbit in cage..
Odie gets rabbit
rabbit screams
Chuck screams
neighbors hear screaming
neighbors call 911
police knock really loud
Chuck answers
Police think it's cool
neighbors hate Chuck

Good story. Nice to know it didn't end up with you going outside in cuffs. I lol'd.

Chuck
08-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Good story. Nice to know it didn't end up with you going outside in cuffs. I lol'd.

That's a different story.... :ninja:

Chuck
08-26-2009, 07:23 PM
do you still have that big snake?
I donated him to the Pt Defiance Zoo & Aquarium in Tacoma, WA He's about 17ft now... and I miss him!!

do you keep them forever (until they die)?
It's no different then any other pet... some keep them forever some get rid of them.

are you scared they will get out of the cage and give you the squeeze.
Yes and No. For the most part (there are exceptions) a constrictor will only bite/attack something it can eat. My snake even at 12 ft couldn't have eaten me. IF while changing his water for example he mistook my hand for food he may strike at me but he wouldn't have attempted to constrict something he couldn't eat. However the reason I got rid of Odie I is because I was going to be starting a family. Odie would have been able to eat a small child so a snake that's not potentially dangerous to me, would be to children. Make sense?

oh i suppose you probably have them locked up right?
Most of the time but not always. Our current snake Odie III often sleep in the cushions of our couch.. it's dark, safe... and a great conversation starter!!

how often do you have to feed them and how do you know when they are hungry.
It depends if you're "power feeding" them in an effort to get them larger for breeding or just feeding them normally. Odie III is about 5-6ft right now and we feed him a large rat about once a week. We could feed him 1 a month if we wanted to and if we were trying to get him bigger we would feed him about 3 times a week. As far as "knowing" when they are hungry their really isn't a way. Immediately after a snake eats they are more active because they're looking for food.. once the food is gone they will normally decrease their activity in order to direct their energy towards digestion. A wild snake will be most vulnerable after they eat so in most cases they will retreat to a safe place and become virtually dormant in order to digest the food as quickly as possible. Once they do that the cycle repeats. Snakes are always doing 1 of 2 things. Looking for food or digesting it. A few days after Odie eats he'll explore his cage more, get under his water dish, poke around at the glass etc.. so I guess you could attribute that to being hungry... or just being done digesting his food..

sorry don't mean to sound dumb i just don't know much about snakes.
You're not dumb at all.. you'll never learn if you don't ask. I'd much rather you be curious and learn about them then just "hate" them like a lot of ignorant people

oh funny story i read your story something touched my leg under my desk and i screamed!!:laugh: it was a chord! :laugh:
Hey look... up there... in the blue!!!

Chuck
08-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I soooo see you doing this

You have no idea Ben... there is actually a prequel to this story involving:

the rabbit, some really thick carpet, a hammer, some screaming and chasing...

but I didn't think some of the bunny lovers would want to hear that part.. :wink:

Twinsmama
08-26-2009, 08:52 PM
In the couch cushions??!!??? I'm never coming over to your house!!!!

I'm pretty scared of snakes. We have them all around our property. Since it has been raining lately I've been seeing some more that I've never seen before. I've seen 2 little black ones w/ red ring around their neck. The biggest coral snake I've ever seen was in my back yard. If I see a poisionous one in our yard I yell for someone to get it (get=shoot). I'm too scared w/ little kids running around they'll step on one. We've got a ton of ground rattlers around. My daughter stepped on a snake right in the middle of the driveway the other night but it took off. it was probably a glass snake or something though becasue it took off.

Rev
08-29-2009, 11:58 PM

"I punched a whale once, right in the mouth. Down he went, just like Liston"

Can anyone tell me where that is from?

Chuck
08-30-2009, 01:02 AM
"I punched a whale once, right in the mouth. Down he went, just like Liston"

Can anyone tell me where that is from?

Jonah:wink:

Rev
08-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Jonah:wink::laugh:
no. Scrubs, the janitor said it.