PDA

View Full Version : BLOG: Buck and Boar

NateR
08-24-2009, 06:42 PM
From Matt's blog:

Last Sunday, was the opening of deer season for the country in South Carolina. So of course, me being the faithful hunter that I am, I had to hit it. Sunday through Wednesday I went to South Carolina to hunt the elusive whitetail. I started hunting Sunday night, but I didn't shoot my deer until about 3 hours before my flight left Wednesday afternoon. It seems to be the way hunting is, sometimes you just don't kill out until the last minute. In the past, I always hunted deer in the freezing cold, this time it was a first for me to be hunting deer in the heat. The ranch I was at was called Buck and Boar (http://www.boar-hunter.com/buck_and_boar_trophy_hunting.html) it had great sleeping arrangements, food and all around good people.

I had a cameraman with me the whole time I hunted by the name of Chris Cobbott. He produces a show called North Woods Adventures that airs on the Sportman's Channel. He reminded me a lot of my buddy Boomer. For those of you who don't know, Boomer is a buddy of mine who is a civilian, but works for the US government over in Afghanistan. Because of the tight security over there he doesn't get to watch videos on the internet, so when you look at the comments after one of my videos you'll see Boomer usually on a little tirade about not being able to see it. And if you know how I am, you'll also realize that I now post as many videos as I can just to get under Boomer's skin; but I know when Boomer reads this, he will have a smile on his face. So all in all, I had a great trip down at the Buck and Boar. Here're a few pictures from the hunt. The guy next to the hog is the buddy I went down there with, Brett Kennon, who works for Legacy (http://www.legacysports.com/).

http://www.matt-hughes.com/images/boarhunt/6403.jpg
http://www.matt-hughes.com/images/boarhunt/6404.jpg
http://www.matt-hughes.com/images/boarhunt/IMG_0094.jpg

As for me, I want to thank the people who helped me out: Browning (http://www.browning.com/), USOptics (http://www.usoptics.com/), and Hornady (http://www.hornady.com/).

Tomorrow, I fly out to the UFC to talk with Lorenzo and Dana to figure out what we're going to do. So I should have more news next week. I did hear that Matt Serra was running his mouth and to be honest, I'm not surprised. He never was able to keep it shut in the past, why would anybody think he would do it now?

Finally, the bible verse for this week:

Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret - it only leads to evil. For evil men will be cut off, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land. (Psalm 37: 8-9)

-matt

Preach
08-24-2009, 07:32 PM
So Matt are you going to mount the deer? I love seeing them in Velvet that would make a beautiful mount. Also move on from Serra you have nothing to prove there. You beat him even though you recieved a headbut that messed you up for the fight. You dominated him and showed that regardless of what he does you win hands down. I personally would love to see atleast one more fight the opponent doesn't matter as much as the location. I want St. Louis or Nashville

adamt
08-24-2009, 07:34 PM
wow very nice deer!!! I'm getting jealous!

Mac
08-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Boy oh Boy . That woulda been a nice deer next year .

Preach
08-24-2009, 09:36 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Boy oh Boy . That woulda been a nice deer next year .

Bonnie
08-24-2009, 10:43 PM
I like the fuzzy horns. They're pretty. :)

I know you've always said you fight whoever the UFC gives you, but I hope (if this is your last fight) you get who you want to fight where you want to fight. I think you've earned that. :wink:

As to Serra, he's still try'n to hang on to your coat tails...

Eric4
08-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Nate, is Matt going to be at the Farm Progress Show next week? I had heard rumors of his appearance there. Need to take a day off of work if that is the case. I usually attend but this would be a must for me and my kids. Yes, they would get out of school to meet Matt.

TexasRN
08-24-2009, 11:35 PM
:laugh: Poor Boomer......

I can't wait to hear what the next fight will be.

~Amy

TENNESSEAN
08-24-2009, 11:47 PM
what gives, no video:sad: :laugh:

Boomer
08-25-2009, 04:49 AM
Alllll ways gotta steal my thunder don’t yea Matt …. I had a whole host of military folks lined up to cyber protest through posts on not being able to see your BLOG .. and told them how you torture me and you go and do something like this. Now they all think you are the “nicest guy” and I’m the jerk. :angry: I was expecting the next BLOG to be you sitting in Nate’s living room and him videoing you and you just speaking the blog …..

<shaking fists and muttering> Hughesssssss

But, after getting over you having check mate on me again, I did enjoy this. Love seeing your trophies my friend. And outta all the important folks in your life, mentioning me seems to be a waste of space but thank you. You were right, I was grinning ear to ear when I read this. I’ll be outta range for bout 10 days so next week … use all the vids you want. :biggrin-1:

For your next fight would love to see Alves again not half way round the world on three weeks notice and him making weight … half of me would like to see you and Kos, just because of how they have him ranked in the WW division … but having another loud mouth bad talking you is just really old at this point. Serra’s claim to fame was his rivalry with you. He was the outlet for the Hughes haters to focus on and that was what generated his popularity. Any other fight he could have would be lack luster and have a minimal draw. Not ranked in the division anymore and will once again fade into obscurity .. his only hope is rekindling the only angle he has in modern day MMA .. that’s his mouth and not his fighting.

Blmfighter
08-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Great Blog Matt! I hope you don't fight Serra again. He does not deserve to fight you twice. However I hope it is someone on top.

Llamafighter
08-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Funniest blog yet! When I first glanced at the pic I thought it was Boomer there in the photo! :laugh:
Good hinting Matt!
Can't wait to hear what you and the bosses come up with for you next.

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
08-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Oh My.......whos the next victim to lose to Hughes????:punch:

Whos it going to be??????:Whistle:

Bommer mentioned Koscheck.....I would love to see Matt shut him up, :w00t: all he does is run his mouth. Reminds me of Serra.....

Tell us Tell us Tell us, the suspense is killing me!!!!:)

3dlee
08-26-2009, 04:38 PM
:punch: I'd personally love to see the fight that was supposed to happen at UFC 56. Matt Hughes vs. Karo Parisyan. I think the Judo vs Wrestling would make a hell of a matchup. Theres no doubt in my mind that Matt Hughes would be able to take the victory but I would enjoy the back and forth grappling action. Karo has to be my 2nd fav welterweight. His attitude isnt top notch but I really enjoy his aggressive grappling style and you dont see too many judoka using their talents in mma. Dream card for that night (remember this would be like ufc 110 so im calling some stuff into the future)
Randy Couture vs Shane Carwin for HW title
Matt Hughes vs Karo Parisyan
Dan Henderson vs Damien Maia for MW title
Brock Lesnar vs Antonio Nogueira
(the return of) Pat Miletich vs Frank Trigg
Chuck Liddell vs Anderson Silva
Rich Franklin vs Forrest Griffin
Mark Coleman vs Keith Jardine
Tito Ortiz vs Wanderlei Silva 2
Anthony Johnson vs Thiago Alves
Shogun Rua vs Quentin Jackson
wow... :w00t: a few more I wanted to add but 11 fights is a packed card. Dana, fire Joe Silva, hire me!

MattHughesRocks
08-26-2009, 11:11 PM
I think Karo is out on suspension still. He isn't worthy of a Matt Hughes fight anyway.

3dlee
08-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Karo has always been about 2 good wins away from title contention for a few years now. I picked him because a win over Karo would remove a lot of doubt from the Hughes haters. Karo is another respected top 10. If Matt beat Karo he should get Alves again or maybe Kampmann or Condit and then take the belt from GSP. Matt should be able to pick Karo apart pretty easily while negating Karo's judo with his wrestling. The main thing that would excite me in this matchup would be the transitions in the clinch and on the ground. I could see a easy FOTN contender.

VCURamFan
08-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Karo has always been about 2 good wins away from title contention for a few years now. I picked him because a win over Karo would remove a lot of doubt from the Hughes haters. Karo is another respected top 10. If Matt beat Karo he should get Alves again or maybe Kampmann or Condit and then take the belt from GSP. Matt should be able to pick Karo apart pretty easily while negating Karo's judo with his wrestling. The main thing that would excite me in this matchup would be the transitions in the clinch and on the ground. I could see a easy FOTN contender.I don't think Matt needs to beat anyone to "earn" Alves. Maybe, maybe if Alves was champ now Matt would need to "earn" a shot at him (since 9 title wins over a 4yr reign & a record 16 wins in the octagon apparently aren't enough :rolleyes: ), but Matt's coming off a win, Alves off a loss.

3dlee
08-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I dont think Matt should have to earn a fight against anyone. Hes already done that. I just a love a systematic ladder to the title and I think Matt's ladder could go Karo, Alves, GSP. I actually just woke from a dream that Matt had GSP badly hurt and had him mounted:punch: