PDA

View Full Version : SkiffGuards.com - my Star Wars pet project

NateR
08-21-2009, 04:40 AM
I've been wanting to see a sight like this made for years, but no one has ever taken the time to break it down. So I figured, since Matt was gone for most of the week, I had plenty of free time to finally put this together.

http://www.skiffguards.com/index.html

The purpose of the site is to break down the Sarlacc Pit Battle, from the first half of Return of the Jedi, and to identify every single alien and background character who showed up onscreen. At some point I might move on to Jabba's Palace and identify every single creature who appears in that part of the movie as well.

MattHughesRocks
08-21-2009, 05:43 AM
I've never seen a Star Wars movie ever :ninja:

Twinsmama
08-21-2009, 03:05 PM
I've never seen a Star Wars movie either. Nate you are very talented though. I might have to rent one just to see what this Star Wars stuff is all about.

Llamafighter
08-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Sorry, my brain just exploded...I thought i heard you both say YOU'VE NEVER SEEN A STAR WARS MOVIE?!?!?!?!:scared0011: :scared0011: :scared0011:

Awesome site, Nate! I'll be sending thsi to some of my Star Wars friends.
I'm actually a little ticked that Bossk was onboard the sail barge. So he didn't even get to jump out and join the fight? that's super disappointing.

County Mike
08-21-2009, 08:11 PM
http://haterlover.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ogre.jpg

Just playing. Star Wars is cool. I watched all 6.

Crisco
08-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Nate you have a talent for specifics my friend.

Mac
08-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Thats a really neat site Nate.

Man they had some characters in there didnt they . The amount of costumes on that movie must have been insane.

I heard somewhere , cant remember where . But i heard where R2D2 got his name . Anyone care to guess ?

Mac
08-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Thats a really neat site Nate.

Man they had some characters in there didnt they . The amount of costumes on that movie must have been insane.

I heard somewhere , cant remember where . But i heard where R2D2 got his name . Anyone care to guess ?

Ok , ill answer it

I think i saw it on the extras in American Graffitti

Anyways , they said while editing or directing in American Graffitti . Lucas was always yelling "reel 2 , Dialoug 2" and he shortened it to R2D2 , and thats where his name came from . Or atleast thats what i heard , Thought it was neat , Because as we all know , American Graffitti is like 40 million times better than star wars!!!

HA HA HA:tongue0011: :tongue0011: :tongue0011:

MattHughesRocks
08-22-2009, 03:02 AM
I said no such thing :unsure-1:

Sorry, my brain just exploded...I thought i heard you both say YOU'VE NEVER SEEN A STAR WARS MOVIE?!?!?!?!:scared0011: :scared0011: :scared0011:

MattHughesRocks
08-22-2009, 03:03 AM
Sheesh! You didnt even give me a chance! I'd have guessed it :sad:

Ok , ill answer it

Anyways , they said while editing or directing in American Graffitti . Lucas was always yelling "reel 2 , Dialoug 2" and he shortened it to R2D2 , and thats where his name came from . Or atleast thats what i heard , Thought it was neat , Because as we all know , American Graffitti is like 40 million times better than star wars!!!

NateR
08-22-2009, 03:41 AM
Ok , ill answer it

I can confirm that story, I've read it in several sources. In fact, George Lucas was working on the first draft of Star Wars while filming American Graffiti and many of the cast members remember talking to Lucas about this sci-fi film we was planning next. In fact, from one account I read, when Lucas told everyone about Wookiees, he described them as short and furry. Richard Dreyfuss then jumped up and said, "I want to be the king of the Wookiees!" :laugh:

Everyone on the Graffiti cast was just starting out (or trying to get out from under Opie's shadow, in the case of Ron Howard), so they all wanted parts in Star Wars. By the time Lucas started casting, however, he didn't want anyone who he had worked with before. Harrison Ford was actually working as a carpenter on the Star Wars set and they asked him to sit in on a line reading as Han Solo, because Lucas wanted someone to play against the actors auditioning for Luke and Leia. Ford read the Han Solo lines better than anyone else (a list that included Nick Nolte, Kurt Russell, and Christopher Walken), so he ended up getting the role.

As much as I love Star Wars, I think I might agree with you that American Graffiti is a better movie. One thing is for sure, since Lucas used all the money he made off of Graffiti to fund Star Wars, it can honestly be said that if there was no American Graffiti, then there would be no Star Wars.

lyndsey823
08-22-2009, 08:01 AM
i know that i should, but i don't want to show my boyfriend this site!!! lol. it will lead to a 2 hour long star wars conversation that we have probably already had, followed by him making me watch one of the six movies again, and then making me have a light saber fight with his master replica light sabers my mom just had to get him for christmas. of course, i have to be the sith, he gets to be the jedi. and yes, they are mounted in the hall way, on the stupid stands they came with!!!!!

lyndsey823
08-22-2009, 08:02 AM
but i will end up showing him that site Nate just because it is really great and you did such a good job. he'd really enjoy it and i can't keep it from him! wouldn't be fair to him, or you!

NateR
08-22-2009, 04:48 PM
:cool: I'm looking forward to hearing what he thinks of it.

Bonnie
08-22-2009, 07:44 PM
What about "Chewbacca", his name? It reminds me of "chewing tobacco".

Any stories? :huh:

MattHughesRocks
08-23-2009, 12:18 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i know that i should, but i don't want to show my boyfriend this site!!! lol. it will lead to a 2 hour long star wars conversation that we have probably already had, followed by him making me watch one of the six movies again, and then making me have a light saber fight with his master replica light sabers my mom just had to get him for christmas. of course, i have to be the sith, he gets to be the jedi. and yes, they are mounted in the hall way, on the stupid stands they came with!!!!!

Twinsmama
08-23-2009, 03:46 AM
there are 6 of the star war movies? are they all regular length or longer than most movies? i'll start out with one and see how that goes. should i watch the first one? i also haven't seen american graffetti. we didn't have cable tv until i was in middle school so i never really got into watching tv or movies much. we spent most free time outside riding 4wheelers.

lyndsey823
08-23-2009, 06:32 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

oh, go ahead, laugh at me michelle!!! but i can't even tell you how many times i've had to have those damn fights. i date one of the biggest star wars dorks you'll ever find.

when the clone wars cartoon came out on cartoon network, i told him he could just DVR it, so i wouldn't have to watch it. i left out the fact that we didn't have the right DVR box. so 3 weeks later when he sat down to watch the last 3 episodes he was all bummed out and just thought he messed it up. i just played it off like it was his fault. :laugh: :laugh:

lyndsey823
08-24-2009, 05:27 AM
:cool: I'm looking forward to hearing what he thinks of it.

he just skimmed over it really quick after work, and he said from a web design outlook, it seems amazing. really clean and nice. just lokking around for a few minutes before bed and i already think he is in love. he's hitting the sack right now. but he said as soon as he gets home from work tomorrow his mission to see all the ins and outs of it. and he will nate. he wont spare your feelings, lol. but he said it looks awesome from what he sees, it looks great!!!

Llamafighter
08-24-2009, 01:10 PM
May I request a Mos Eisley Cantina site in the future? The original Mos Eisley not the one with all the new CGI B.S.

cool!

Crisco
08-24-2009, 07:30 PM
May I request a Mos Eisley Cantina site in the future? The original Mos Eisley not the one with all the new CGI B.S.

cool!

excellent idea sir.

On a side note I've always enjoyed the expanded universe stuff much more then the original star wars.

NateR
08-24-2009, 09:25 PM

cool!

This site covers the Cantina pretty well and it's not the only one out there, it just seems to be the most thorough:
http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/index.htm

I do remember a site from a several years back that broke down all the aliens that supposedly appeared in Jabba's Palace as well as the Skiff Battle, but the information on that site was based solely off of the Decipher CCG (collectible card game), not who actually appears onscreen. But it was incomplete and somewhat inaccurate when it came to the Skiff Guards. So that has always been my top priority when making this site.

NateR
08-24-2009, 09:26 PM
On a side note I've always enjoyed the expanded universe stuff much more then the original star wars.

HERESY!!!!

:tongue0011:

Actually, there is a lot of pre-1987 EU that I like just as much as the original films and I like most of it much more than the Prequels or the Clone Wars.

Crisco
08-25-2009, 04:27 PM
HERESY!!!!

:tongue0011:

Actually, there is a lot of pre-1987 EU that I like just as much as the original films and I like most of it much more than the Prequels or the Clone Wars.
I ment more along the lines of Boba Fett after escaping the Sarlac

And some of the Mandalorian stories are a lot of fun.

The mandalorians are my favorite race in SW.