PDA

View Full Version : The BJ Penn Rule

MattHughesRocks
08-20-2009, 01:02 AM
THE "B.J. PENN RULE" NOW IN EFFECT IN NEVADA
Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - by Steven Marrocco - MMAWeekly.com

“Greasegate” has made its first imprint on the Nevada State Athletic Commission rulebook.

In a meeting held Wednesday in Las Vegas, the NSAC approved language prohibiting the use of foreign substances on a fighter’s body prior to or during a fight that “could result in an unfair advantage.”

Dubbed by a commission official as the “B.J. Penn Rule,” the use of foreign substances will now be added to a list of “fouls” in the Nevada Administrative Code that address tactics illegal to fighters, such as eye gouging, small joint manipulation, or biting.

Controversy surrounding the use of Vaseline at UFC 94 threatened to overshadow welterweight champion St. Pierre’s dominating fourth round win over lightweight champion Penn.

Penn’s lawyer, Raffi Nahabedian, was present at the meeting and said the change was an important step in preventing future controversy.

“The rule change is great because it’s better than nothing,” Nahabedian told MMAWeekly.com afterwards. “The official can now make the assessment that this is a foul. So it’s even better than before.”

Nahabedian also suggested a rule during the meeting that would provide fighters a shower prior to their bouts, asserting that athletes could take “pre-bout baths in oil” to gain an unfair advantage against opponents. The commission said they would take the matter under future consideration.

“I think that the commission eventually is going to have to become even more technical in this area and add the pre-bout shower,” said Nahabedian. ”You have athletes that are willing to do anything to attain the fame and money that comes with bouts at this level... it’s something they’re going to need to do.”

The commission’s action on foreign substances appeared to be a reversal in tone from a March hearing in which they took no formal action following spirited testimony from Penn’s camp and representatives for St. Pierre.

NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer said the rule could take up to 30 days to take effect.

Representatives for St. Pierre were unavailable for comment at the time of publication.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9411&zoneid=2

adamt
08-20-2009, 01:52 AM
if both people were allowed to do it, then it wouldn't be an unfair advantage. It would be neither unfair, nor an advantage. Unless you consider it takes away the grappling edge more than it would take away a strikers edge. I say make it legal and see what happens.

Then you'd have guys taking bottles of baby powder in with them to get some grip on their opponents. Which isn't a bad idea really.

MattHughesRocks
08-20-2009, 02:27 AM
I just hope it's something used once in awhile and not every 10 seconds like in other sports. Talk about losing interest :unsure:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-20-2009, 05:08 AM
If you think your the better striker going up against a feared Grappler I can see where being slick may give you an advantage.

Bonnie
08-20-2009, 06:45 AM
It sounds like a good start.

County Mike
08-20-2009, 11:16 AM
When the BJ/GSP fight happened, it wasn't illegal to grease your body. The rule was written something like "A fighter should not have EXCESSIVE grease on his face or body". It didn't say you couldn't have ANY grease on your body. I think it was generally understood but technically GSP didn't do anything against the rules.

Now - if a fighter greases his body, it would be illegal.

Oil bath prior to fight, still OK.

rearnakedchoke
08-20-2009, 01:26 PM
I wonder if BJ's mom was present at the hearing also ... LOL ...

Max
08-20-2009, 05:58 PM
When the BJ/GSP fight happened, it wasn't illegal to grease your body. The rule was written something like "A fighter should not have EXCESSIVE grease on his face or body". It didn't say you couldn't have ANY grease on your body. I think it was generally understood but technically GSP didn't do anything against the rules.

Now - if a fighter greases his body, it would be illegal.

Oil bath prior to fight, still OK.
an oil bath is not still ok and what GSP did was not ok. had it been ok the commission would not have said something during the fight about it.

Crisco
08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
an oil bath is not still ok and what GSP did was not ok. had it been ok the commission would not have said something during the fight about it.

T minus 10 to Horse beating BJ nuttery saying BJ could have won had it not been for a few bit of vaseline :tongue0011:

que
08-20-2009, 08:03 PM
T minus 10 to Horse beating BJ nuttery saying BJ could have won had it not been for a few bit of vaseline :tongue0011:

i'm pretty sure max has said a couple hundred times that the vaseline did not change the outcome of the fight, but that doesn't change the fact that it was wrong

Tyburn
08-20-2009, 08:44 PM
:laugh: THE BJ PENN RULE :laugh:

County Mike
08-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Morally wrong and against the rules aren't always the same thing. The way the rule is written, he GSP didn't cheat. They might have MEANT you couldn't have any grease on your body but the rules didn't say that. When it comes down to it, the written rule is all you can go by. Call it a loophole or whatever, he was within the scope of the written rules.

Tyburn
08-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Morally wrong and against the rules aren't always the same thing. The way the rule is written, he GSP didn't cheat. They might have MEANT you couldn't have any grease on your body but the rules didn't say that. When it comes down to it, the written rule is all you can go by. Call it a loophole or whatever, he was within the scope of the written rules.
Actually what he did was much worse.

He exploited the law for his own personal gains. He knew very well what it meant, and he deliberately violated it, knowingly using that technicality to save himself.

So in essence, not only has he cheated, which is moral bancruptcy, but he has also premeditadely worked out how he can cheat without repuccusions. That Mike...is worse then just taking steroids and cheating. The only thing worse then that, is deliberatly creating a back-up plan to avoid the consequences.

He's not as dumb as he looks or sounds, He's extremely clever and he's done this sort of thing before, to try and gain an advantage in his career. Think back to having a clear shot at Hughes, and defaulting to BJ Penn because it would be more easy for him to get the title beating Penn, then Hughes, as he had already beaten Penn, and Penn had already beaten Hughes. A well timed injury, et viole (if you pardon the pun) :ninja:

Its the premeditation that adds the insult to the injury (pardon the second pun too :laugh: )

Preach
08-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I have heard several fighters complain that GSP was slick when they fought

que
08-21-2009, 07:56 PM

He exploited the law for his own personal gains. He knew very well what it meant, and he deliberately violated it, knowingly using that technicality to save himself.

So in essence, not only has he cheated, which is moral bancruptcy, but he has also premeditadely worked out how he can cheat without repuccusions. That Mike...is worse then just taking steroids and cheating. The only thing worse then that, is deliberatly creating a back-up plan to avoid the consequences.

He's not as dumb as he looks or sounds, He's extremely clever and he's done this sort of thing before, to try and gain an advantage in his career. Think back to having a clear shot at Hughes, and defaulting to BJ Penn because it would be more easy for him to get the title beating Penn, then Hughes, as he had already beaten Penn, and Penn had already beaten Hughes. A well timed injury, et viole (if you pardon the pun) :ninja:

Its the premeditation that adds the insult to the injury (pardon the second pun too :laugh: )

well said

County Mike
08-21-2009, 08:07 PM

Blah blah blah. Using more words doesn't make you right.

:tongue0011:

Tyburn
08-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Blah blah blah. Using more words doesn't make you right.

:tongue0011:
No. Being Right makes me Right

:laugh:

Crisco
08-21-2009, 08:20 PM

Well written Dave but even you must agree your post is complete speculation.

Tyburn
08-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Well written Dave but even you must agree your post is complete speculation.
Its a theory that fits the facts.

I guess he could be EXTREMELY unlucky/Lucky, and EXTREMELY Dumb...perhaps it was pure cooincidence that he didnt fight Hughes after beating Penn...and perhaps he couldnt understand well enough the rules because they were in English and not French.

But I find it hard to believe he is that lucky and that dumb.

So until there is a better theory...I'll stick to it :)

Chuck
08-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Its a theory that fits the facts.

I guess he could be EXTREMELY unlucky/Lucky, and EXTREMELY Dumb...perhaps it was pure cooincidence that he didnt fight Hughes after beating Penn...and perhaps he couldnt understand well enough the rules because they were in English and not French.

But I find it hard to believe he is that lucky and that dumb.

So until there is a better theory...I'll stick to it :)

TRANSLATION: So since I don't like GSP I'll ignore the facts and substitute my own conspiracy... I mean reality. :wink:

Tyburn
08-22-2009, 11:59 AM
TRANSLATION: So since I don't like GSP I'll ignore the facts and substitute my own conspiracy... I mean reality. :wink:
I like GSP, I just found him a bit of a dissapointment.

I call it how I see it. :laugh:

bradwright
08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
I like GSP, I just found him a bit of a dissapointment.

I call it how I see it. :laugh:
if you truly find GSP to be a bit of a disappointment like you say then you must be disappointed a whole lot pretty much all the time with everything you encounter in your life Dave.

oh yeah one more thing....you say you like GSP ?.........i thought lying was a sin Dave.

Tyburn
08-24-2009, 06:29 PM
if you truly find GSP to be a bit of a disappointment like you say then you must be disappointed a whole lot pretty much all the time with everything you encounter in your life Dave.

oh yeah one more thing....you say you like GSP ?.........i thought lying was a sin Dave.
I find his character a dissapointment, I think his standard of perfomance is excellent, it only needs to be enhanced by avoiding the groin kicks, geasing, and the ammount of wellplaced accidents, and possibly he needs to be able to finish a few more.

With some things, I try not to set expectations at all, that way I know I CANT be dissapointed.

As for lying. I am not. Before your time, I heralded Georges as the person to succeed Hughes AFTER Hughes retired. I was impressed by the fact he worked, and got knocked back, and then worked again. I was not only pleased with him, I supported him, even during GSP/Penn1

but when he started cutting corners following that bout...Yeah I went right off him...that was the dissapointment, that his work ethic and character, were not as good as I thought...and he's only got WORSE since then! :sad:

bradwright
08-24-2009, 06:39 PM
I find his character a dissapointment, I think his standard of perfomance is excellent, it only needs to be enhanced by avoiding the groin kicks, geasing, and the ammount of wellplaced accidents, and possibly he needs to be able to finish a few more.

With some things, I try not to set expectations at all, that way I know I CANT be dissapointed.

As for lying. I am not. Before your time, I heralded Georges as the person to succeed Hughes AFTER Hughes retired. I was impressed by the fact he worked, and got knocked back, and then worked again. I was not only pleased with him, I supported him, even during GSP/Penn1

but when he started cutting corners following that bout...Yeah I went right off him...that was the dissapointment, that his work ethic and character, were not as good as I thought...and he's only got WORSE since then! :sad:

you know as well as i do that you will not be penalized for a kick to the groin until you have either reached 2 in a round or three for the entire fight so it looks to me like the first one isn't against ther rules.

and as far as geasing go's i looked over the rules very carefully and no where does it say anything about not being able to be geasing ( what ever that is ) during a fight.....so there.

que
08-24-2009, 09:44 PM
and as far as geasing go's i looked over the rules very carefully and no where does it say anything about not being able to be geasing ( what ever that is ) during a fight.....so there.
then why did dana white say 10 million times that it was *f*cking illegal* what his corner did to him, and also said the guy who did it should be banned from cornering anyone again? and why did the athletic commission say it was illegal and why did they try to wipe it off GSP's body right after it was applied? and why would the NSAC institute the "BJ Penn Rule" which all started because of the penn vs GSP II fight? why would they do all that if it was legal? sorry, but i trust the president of the UFC and the athletic commission over some random guy on the internet. it's ridiculous to claim that he did not break any rules at this point. sorry, but GSP cheated.

bradwright
08-24-2009, 09:56 PM
then why did dana white say 10 million times that it was *f*cking illegal* what his corner did to him, and also said the guy who did it should be banned from cornering anyone again? and why did the athletic commission say it was illegal and why did they try to wipe it off GSP's body right after it was applied? and why would the NSAC institute the "BJ Penn Rule" which all started because of the penn vs GSP II fight? why would they do all that if it was legal? sorry, but i trust the president of the UFC and the athletic commission over some random guy on the internet. it's ridiculous to claim that he did not break any rules at this point. sorry, but GSP cheated.

your hate for GSP is amazing..lol...why dont you go back and read my post a little more carefully.
some random guy from the Internet,wow.your too funny.

oh yeah..while your at it go back and read YOUR post and tell me why would they institute a rule against greasing if that rule already existed ?

bradwright
08-25-2009, 12:50 AM

i stand corrected about the lying thing i suppose but not even you could possibly bring GSPs work ethic into question......but feel free to imply that his character is a little suspect,but then again when you bring the possibility of a big payday into the mix i think a lot of really good people just might bend a few rules to gain an advantage....and if you need me to tell you who some of them are then you dont watch nearly as much MMA as you let on you do.

Chuck
08-25-2009, 03:18 AM
Dana was wrong.... I'm a huge DW fan bro but in this case he was just mistaken... it's not the first time.... probably wont be the last.

Same goes with the NSAC guys in the Octagon. It's not the first time a rule has been misinterpreted.

A few people on here posted the rule during that whole fiasco and I don't wish to stir that pot up again but I believe the old rule didn't say "grease" was illegal... that's the whole reason for a new rule. IF the old rule said what GSP did was wrong not only would he have been punished but there would be no need for a new rule.

And for the record... I still think the BJ folks blew this WAY out of proportion. Phil is guilty of being careless but I've never believed it was an intentional act to gain an advantage nor have I ever believed it impacted the fight in any way. There is video of other fighters having the same thing happen as well as fighters like AS putting their hands directly on their body with vaseline on them and nobody makes an issue about it. It's just BJ fans and GSP haters looking for a reason to wimper.....

IMO anyway :D

Tyburn
08-25-2009, 11:59 AM
but not even you could possibly bring GSPs work ethic into question.......
Yes I could...and THATS the dissapointment. He DID work so hard to get to the title, and the same the second time...and then his whole ethic seems to have changed.

Now he injures himself if it will help him long term, and yes, too many to be cooincodence. Now he will cheat to avoid the shame of losing, because it would mean he'd have to put the work in a second time just like before.

I want the old GSP back :sad: the one who always tried their best, wasnt afraid to fail, and if they did so, would work and strive until the management are forced to grant another chance.

:sad: Getting to the title to soon ruined him...I told everyone it would. I told everyone that the best thing for GSP during Hughes/GSP 2 would have been to go the distance and lose by decision, to prove that whilst this time again he could beat Hughes, he could, this time, hang with and last to the end. It would be an achievement, and one in which with more work he would then succeed and it would have been a legacy in GETTING to the Belt before a Reign, he would have understood that there are no short cuts, and that life only gets harder WITH the belt then without.

But seeing the goal in sight he rushed, he cut corners, and he should have been more careful what he wished for. It came to soon and he cracked in the head, and made a mockery by losing to someone he should have smushed. He might have bounced back, and he might have beaten Hughes in his area of strength during Hughes/GSP3, and he might have beaten Serra again. But its changed him. There is now no legacy of getting the belt, and he's not finishing the people at championship level, and then he cheats on a title unification match.

Silly Boy!:angry: :sad:

County Mike
08-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Yeah. It ruined him. That's why he's the current champ.

I like you Dave, but I swear you might be one of the most delusioned character's I've ever encountered.

rearnakedchoke
08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes I could...and THATS the dissapointment. He DID work so hard to get to the title, and the same the second time...and then his whole ethic seems to have changed.

Now he injures himself if it will help him long term, and yes, too many to be cooincodence. Now he will cheat to avoid the shame of losing, because it would mean he'd have to put the work in a second time just like before.

I want the old GSP back :sad: the one who always tried their best, wasnt afraid to fail, and if they did so, would work and strive until the management are forced to grant another chance.

:sad: Getting to the title to soon ruined him...I told everyone it would. I told everyone that the best thing for GSP during Hughes/GSP 2 would have been to go the distance and lose by decision, to prove that whilst this time again he could beat Hughes, he could, this time, hang with and last to the end. It would be an achievement, and one in which with more work he would then succeed and it would have been a legacy in GETTING to the Belt before a Reign, he would have understood that there are no short cuts, and that life only gets harder WITH the belt then without.

But seeing the goal in sight he rushed, he cut corners, and he should have been more careful what he wished for. It came to soon and he cracked in the head, and made a mockery by losing to someone he should have smushed. He might have bounced back, and he might have beaten Hughes in his area of strength during Hughes/GSP3, and he might have beaten Serra again. But its changed him. There is now no legacy of getting the belt, and he's not finishing the people at championship level, and then he cheats on a title unification match.

dude, do you honestly believe what you are writing, or do you write fantasy novels in your spare time and sometimes don't make the switch back to reality when you come on these forums??? his work ethic has never wavered, he got injured twice having to move a fight once for the second hughes fight and once for the first serra fight ... that is just how hard he trains ... it happens ...

Crisco
08-25-2009, 04:02 PM

I like you alot dave but I agree with Mike.

Your out of your mind mate.

GSP hasn't failed since losing to Matt Serra and his work ethic hasn't wavered one damn bit.

GSP has completely picked apart and dominated EVERYONE he has fought within the last 2-3 years with the exception of Matt Serra who he later completely demolished.

Anyuone who questions his abilities is crazy. You don't get considered top 3 P4P if your not amazing at what you do.

Sorry Dave you are wayyy off base here buddy you should re-read your post and then think hard on who exactly you are typng your message about cuz it's definately not gsp.

Tyburn
08-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah. It ruined him. That's why he's the current champ.

I like you Dave, but I swear you might be one of the most delusioned character's I've ever encountered.
It takes more then a belt to be a "champ" Mike. That the whole issue. "Champs" dont Cheat, "Champs" dont cut corners in work ethic.

If you think that a Belt is what makes a "Champ" then I hope you feel the same way about BJ Penn, and Matt Serra, since they both have the belt in the Welterweight Division also.

If you just want to go on the belt, then technically you are right, but to me, thats only half of what makes a "Champ" Yeah so he has the skills to do it...well...even there, he's not alone is he.

I wish Matt Hughes were still reigning :sad:

Tyburn
08-25-2009, 04:44 PM
dude, do you honestly believe what you are writing, or do you write fantasy novels in your spare time and sometimes don't make the switch back to reality when you come on these forums??? his work ethic has never wavered, he got injured twice having to move a fight once for the second hughes fight and once for the first serra fight ... that is just how hard he trains ... it happens ...
Really?...how convienient for his career.

Sorry, Twice in such swift succession where its a circumstantial better place to be then fighting, I dont buy it....anymore then I buy that he innocently had no knowledge of any greasing.

Its cutting corners...to SAVE on the ammount of work...thats not a brilliant work ethic.

At least Im logical and dont just spout propergandar...ah yes, GSP is on another level and training in unhuman proportions hence why he has accidents so bloody often. Pull the other one, its got bells on it.

But then I can understand you wanting to be behind a fellow countryman :)

County Mike
08-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Dave,
I could probably be the man that you want me to be. However, I'd rather be the man that I want to be. I'm guessing GSP feels the same way.

rearnakedchoke
08-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Really?...how convienient for his career.

Sorry, Twice in such swift succession where its a circumstantial better place to be then fighting, I dont buy it....anymore then I buy that he innocently had no knowledge of any greasing.

Its cutting corners...to SAVE on the ammount of work...thats not a brilliant work ethic.

At least Im logical and dont just spout propergandar...ah yes, GSP is on another level and training in unhuman proportions hence why he has accidents so bloody often. Pull the other one, its got bells on it.

But then I can understand you wanting to be behind a fellow countryman :)
no .. the first against matt, he was begging for a title shot after every win practically ... then he is told he will get a shot, only to say, no you have to fight BJ penn first ... beats BJ, gets the shot and then says, nah, i will sit this one out, even though i have been asking for it for years ... don't think so ... why fight the most dominant fighter ever when you are not 100% ... then in the matt serra fight, don't have much info on that .. but why pull out of a fight with a guy you are supposed to beat??? doesn't make sense again ... i really don't know what you mean by cutting corners .. everyone he has fought with the exception of a few have been ranked in the world top 10 at the time they fought .. he has fought everyone the UFC has placed in front of him and hasn't lost a round in his last five fights ... so i don't know what corners he cuts ...

Tyburn
08-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Dave,
I could probably be the man that you want me to be. However, I'd rather be the man that I want to be. I'm guessing GSP feels the same way.
I dont want you to be anything in particular. I'm just saying how I see things. I dont mind whether you like him, give him the benefit of the doubt, and hail him as a "champ" or not.

If you have a problem with me saying otherwise, a view to which I admit to attestin, then the issue is yours, not mine :)

Tyburn
08-25-2009, 05:33 PM
no .. the first against matt, he was begging for a title shot after every win practically ... then he is told he will get a shot, only to say, no you have to fight BJ penn first ... beats BJ, gets the shot and then says, nah, i will sit this one out, even though i have been asking for it for years ... don't think so ... why fight the most dominant fighter ever when you are not 100%

... then in the matt serra fight, don't have much info on that .. but why pull out of a fight with a guy you are supposed to beat???

Because, BJ Penn can beat Hughes, and GSP didnt know if he could....but he knew he could beat Penn again. So Let Penn fight Hughes and hope that Penn wins...that would make gaining the title a lot more straight forward :ninja: Its nothing short of an out of ring game plan to caputure the title with less effort.

Pulling out of Serra is more about Mental issues after getting the title, he didnt seem to do well with the mental pressure its a weakness in him.

Crisco
08-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Because, BJ Penn can beat Hughes, and GSP didnt know if he could....but he knew he could beat Penn again. So Let Penn fight Hughes and hope that Penn wins...that would make gaining the title a lot more straight forward :ninja: Its nothing short of an out of ring game plan to caputure the title with less effort.

Pulling out of Serra is more about Mental issues after getting the title, he didnt seem to do well with the mental pressure its a weakness in him.

David that is quite the stretch sir.

Tyburn
08-25-2009, 06:25 PM
David that is quite the stretch sir.
:ninja: maybe it was just a lucky cooincodence...or maybe it wasnt luck at all :ninja:

Crisco
08-25-2009, 07:45 PM
:ninja: maybe it was just a lucky cooincodence...or maybe it wasnt luck at all :ninja:

I don't think at this point it would have mattered. GSP as proved to be to much for everyone he has fought.

Miss Foxy
08-27-2009, 01:38 PM
I love BJ Penn :wink: Just thought since I havent been on here for a while I would irritate everyone...

Neezar
08-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I love BJ Penn :wink: Just thought since I havent been on here for a while I would irritate everyone...

Well, that will do it. :laugh:

bradwright
08-28-2009, 12:30 AM

i love cry baby J as well,i think he is a swell guy....or at least the last time i saw him and Georges together he sure looked swell....ED THE F#$% UP TO ME.

que
08-28-2009, 01:55 AM

the life of a BJ penn fan is hard. you have to live in the face of adversity and often times insults. but that is what makes BJ penn fans so hardcore and true to their man

Buc Nasty
08-28-2009, 07:51 AM
the life of a BJ penn fan is hard. you have to live in the face of adversity and often times insults. but that is what makes BJ penn fans so hardcore and true to their man

BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ, BJ!

:laugh:

Miss Foxy
08-28-2009, 03:22 PM
True that!! However #1 will always be Matt Hughes so BJ is my 2nd! :laugh:

County Mike
08-28-2009, 05:28 PM
I love BJs too.

bradwright
08-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I love BJs too.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink:

huan
08-29-2009, 03:02 AM
I love BJs too.

oh lawd.