PDA

View Full Version : The Last of The Ancient Duffs

Tyburn
08-17-2009, 05:27 PM
:sad:

My Patriarchal Family Comes from Scotland with my Paternal GrandFather being called David Duff and Being a Scot (not only by heratage but by Birth) He married and had Three Children. The Eldest was called David Duff (its a Family Tradition to call the Eldest Son David) The Middle Son was called Roy, and the Younger Son I dont know his name but he died. He Drowned in a River as a teenager. I think he might have been a swimmer, and I think they were seeing how many times they could swim across this river when he got tiered and got tangled in weeds.

When David Duffs Wife died, he remaried a Woman from Bristol called Winifred. Bizzarely Enough, Winifred was the SAME AGE as His Sons! He was quite old, an invalid at this time. Shortly after they married Winifred (My Paternal Grandmother) feared cancer and went to have a check up. (Bizzarely enough she would eventually die of a digestive track cancer!) They found she was Pregnant and she gave Birth to John Duff (my Father)

Father Married Mother, and I came along, the first of Three Children, but the only Male. By the time I was born my Paternal GrandFather David Duff, had long been dead.

Over the years, one by one, the Duffs have began to die out. First to go was Fathers Step Brother, and the Oldest and First Born of David Duff...also called...David Duff (From that point on I was the only David Duff left) Then Winifred Died, Then her Sister died last year.

We heard from Evelyn Duff who remained in Scotland with Fathers only living Step-Brother, called Roy, that he passed away last month.

This leaves my Father and I as the only two heirs of the Family that carry the name as Males. It is unlikely my Father will have any more children, let alone Males. He is young enough, but My Mother is begining to go beyond Childbirthing years. He is unlikely to remarry if she were to die young enough for him to marry a wife half his age (just as his Father did) to have Children.

That leaves me. For obvious Reasons, I am not inclined to have Children, let alone Males. I am already 27 years of age :unsure-1:

It looks more and more likely that upon my death, the Family name shall perish with me :sad:

Play The Man
08-17-2009, 05:39 PM

My Patriarchal Family Comes from Scotland with my Paternal GrandFather being called David Duff and Being a Scot (not only by heratage but by Birth) He married and had Three Children. The Eldest was called David Duff (its a Family Tradition to call the Eldest Son David) The Middle Son was called Roy, and the Younger Son I dont know his name but he died. He Drowned in a River as a teenager. I think he might have been a swimmer, and I think they were seeing how many times they could swim across this river when he got tiered and got tangled in weeds.

When David Duffs Wife died, he remaried a Woman from Bristol called Winifred. Bizzarely Enough, Winifred was the SAME AGE as His Sons! He was quite old, an invalid at this time. Shortly after they married Winifred (My Paternal Grandmother) feared cancer and went to have a check up. (Bizzarely enough she would eventually die of a digestive track cancer!) They found she was Pregnant and she gave Birth to John Duff (my Father)

Father Married Mother, and I came along, the first of Three Children, but the only Male. By the time I was born my Paternal GrandFather David Duff, had long been dead.

Over the years, one by one, the Duffs have began to die out. First to go was Fathers Step Brother, and the Oldest and First Born of David Duff...also called...David Duff (From that point on I was the only David Duff left) Then Winifred Died, Then her Sister died last year.

We heard from Evelyn Duff who remained in Scotland with Fathers only living Step-Brother, called Roy, that he passed away last month.

This leaves my Father and I as the only two heirs of the Family that carry the name as Males. It is unlikely my Father will have any more children, let alone Males. He is young enough, but My Mother is begining to go beyond Childbirthing years. He is unlikely to remarry if she were to die young enough for him to marry a wife half his age (just as his Father did) to have Children.

That leaves me. For obvious Reasons, I am not inclined to have Children, let alone Males. I am already 27 years of age :unsure-1:

It looks more and more likely that upon my death, the Family name shall perish with me :sad:

That is sad.:sad: You need to get married and "get busy".:wink:

Tyburn
08-17-2009, 08:29 PM
:laugh: I didnt consider it mean Denise. I think perhaps I should have it on my gravestone as an epitaph.

I just feel sad because...its me whose dropped the ball in terms of lineage. Families and Clans are just surnames now, they mean very little...but...noone wants to be the last one of their kind...because they've failed to reproduce, and produce a male heir...preferably several or many.

We could equally blame Roy and David who never had ANY children at all, or we could blame my Father and Mother for only producing one out of three.

But it boils down to the fact David and Roy are dead. Mother and Father have ceased reproducing...and now its all my fault :unsure-1: The Dynasty that broke off from the MacDuffs and came down in my direction (there are other lines that broke off...but none that we know off in our particular dynasty) will end without a namesake for the family.

If I were Rex it would be a tragedy. If I were living just a few centuries ago, it would have been a travisty. Now...it doesnt really matter unless your a person of the past and care about it.

I only think of it when someone who could have helpped me dies. Perhaps that is very selfish of me...but when my Father dies...I shall be alone. I guess its a good thing I'm not overtly Masculine...but it some ways it really bugs me, because it makes me feel like actually because of my situation, I may aswell be a woman. I'm not a real man because I cant spread my seed and fertilize the Mother of the next generation of my line.

Sure you could say "well supposing you got married had twenty kids and they were all female" or you could say "For all you know, you or she might be infertile and biologically unable" but at least then it will not be for the want of having tried. If I or she is infertile, then we could try IVF and end up with male Quads :laugh: and hey if she cant produce a male...its HER fault not mine :ninja: :laugh:

ohh the responsibility :blink:

Adia
08-19-2009, 11:28 AM
David, why does the responsibility have to fall solely on you? Couldn't one of your sisters name one of their children David Duff ______ as a first and middle name? I am the only child of an only child and the family name dies out with me too. I don't want to have children, so that's where it ends for us, but I don't feel any need to proliferate the family tree once more. My great grandparents on my mother's paternal side had 21 children and my great grand parents on my father's maternal side had 13, so methinks there are enough of us out there, whether we share the last name or not. Have you thought about putting together a geneology for your family? I did so a few years ago since I've always known the buck stops with me. This was my way of honoring my ancestors and keeping their memory alive. Just an idea. :)

Tyburn
08-19-2009, 12:09 PM
David, why does the responsibility have to fall solely on you? Couldn't one of your sisters name one of their children David Duff ______ as a first and middle name? I am the only child of an only child and the family name dies out with me too. I don't want to have children, so that's where it ends for us, but I don't feel any need to proliferate the family tree once more. My great grandparents on my mother's paternal side had 21 children and my great grand parents on my father's maternal side had 13, so methinks there are enough of us out there, whether we share the last name or not. Have you thought about putting together a geneology for your family? I did so a few years ago since I've always known the buck stops with me. This was my way of honoring my ancestors and keeping their memory alive. Just an idea. :)
As soon as my Sisters marry they lose, by tradition the family name, or a new name is created. For example, when my Sister Rosy marries her present boyfriend Tom, her surnmae will chance to be a reflection of his. OR if she really wanted to she could double barrel her surname on his in which case it would be Duff-Jones...or whatever his surname is, not sure I actually know. The Tradition is really for the males, its a bit like a patriarchal branch, in theory, each Generation will have a David, whose Father is David, whose Father is David etc. Now even in my family that didnt quite work. David Duff (who was my Paternal Grandfather) DID give his first son the name David, but he had no Children. My Father is not called David because he is not the first born, but in place of his Step Brother (David, son of David) He named First born Male David. Unfortunatley due to the huge age gap, only Two of us were ever alive at the same time. We never had all Three Generations of David Duff living in one Chronological Period last Century. There was Father and Son for the first half, and Son and Step-Grandson for the second half.

Ideally, David Duff should be son of my Uncle David...NOT my Father :laugh:

The Responsibility falls on me, because I am the only one capable of breeding and producing an heir. If I dont, my Parents will die, my Sisters will marry off the name...and I will be the only Duff living...so if I die without a son. Its Curtains for our Dynasty. :unsure-1:

I have put together a rough geneology but its much better on my maternal side, because they are all younger. Try to remember that my Paternal Grnadfather was super old when my Father was born to a woman at least HALF his age. The age of his FIRST set of Children.

When I was born, his Second Wife was getting very old. So you can imagine that most of the Duffs with knowledge further back then my Grandfather died when I was very young. My Maternal Grandmother who is also now dead, was not even the first woman to marry into that particular line of Duffs. We are already a Step Attachment to the linage. The True Lineage, ended last month with Roys death. Those were the original Duffs created. My Father is their STEP brothers. Different Mother. Not the pure line...which is why My Fathers name is John...and Not David...and why David should have been the name given to Fathers Step Brother called David...but he never married and never had kids. At least Roy Married I suppose. :laugh:

Now the Paternal Grandmothers side of the Family, which is the Step side by marriage. They dont want anything to do with us. Because Father is an only Child, I'm talking about the Children of His Mothers Sister. She has also died this century and they waited SIX months before telling us...infact Father only found out when he enquired why no Christmas Card had come from Floss Hayes (Answer...well she'd been dead 6 months previously!) I have never had first hand contact with them. Known as "The Bristol Mafia" they are composed of high flying lawyers and Doctors...and I would be extremely unkind to them if I ever met them (I shall attempt to...but not until after Father has died, for anything I do now could comprimise their relationship, which I wouldnt want to make any worse)

The Original Maternal Grandmother of the True Line that spawned Fathers Step Brothers, who are in essence the True Duffs...well she died before My Father remarried...and we only had his Second Wife to go on in giving us details. What would the Second Wife know about the first Wifes Family?? So that is nearly a blank aside from a few names

My Mothers side we know ALL About. My Mothers side is a descendent of Jewish Royalty. She is descendant (on the MATERNAL SIDE..NOT THE PATERNAL SIDE) from Solomon and Haggith.

So Either way you look at it. In Heratage im close to the thrones of two countries. My Fathers Paternal Side goes back to The King of Scotland that gave him Land, my Mothers Maternal Side goes back to King Solomon.

I Consider myself English though :laugh:

Rev
08-19-2009, 10:48 PM

What reasons?

Tyburn
08-19-2009, 11:54 PM
What reasons?
Read the end of the GOD V Science thread, and all shall be revealed. :laugh: