PDA

View Full Version : Good idea/Bad Idea??

Spiritwalker
08-12-2009, 08:35 PM
discuss....
Please note that I am a father of 2but I do not mind playing devils advocate for the sake of discussion...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-quinn-internet-12-aug12,0,671658.story

SPRINGFIELD -- Gov. Pat Quinn signed new laws Tuesday designed to limit sex offenders' use of technology as a way to find more victims.

One law taking effect Jan. 1 makes it a felony for registered sex offenders to use social networking sites, a move aimed at taking another step toward shutting down an avenue of contact between an offender and victim.

"Obviously, the Internet has been more and more a mechanism for predators to reach out," said Sen. Bill Brady (R-Bloomington), a sponsor of the measure and a governor candidate. "The idea was, if the predator is supposed to be a registered sex offender, they should keep their Internet distance as well as their physical distance.

"The object is to protect innocent individuals on the Internet from sex offenders."

Quinn also signed into law a new offense known as grooming, where a predator over time coaxes a minor into meeting for sexual activities. The law, whose sponsors included Rep. Jack Franks (D-Marengo), is aimed at closing a loophole in the current sex registration law, he said. It takes effect immediately.

Another bill, signed on a busy day where Quinn dealt with dozens of bills, deals with child visitation rights. As of Jan. 1, the law will provide for visitation rights through electronic communication such as telephone, e-mail and instant messaging.

Crisco
08-12-2009, 08:39 PM
discuss....
Please note that I am a father of 2but I do not mind playing devils advocate for the sake of discussion...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-quinn-internet-12-aug12,0,671658.story

SPRINGFIELD -- Gov. Pat Quinn signed new laws Tuesday designed to limit sex offenders' use of technology as a way to find more victims.

One law taking effect Jan. 1 makes it a felony for registered sex offenders to use social networking sites, a move aimed at taking another step toward shutting down an avenue of contact between an offender and victim.

"Obviously, the Internet has been more and more a mechanism for predators to reach out," said Sen. Bill Brady (R-Bloomington), a sponsor of the measure and a governor candidate. "The idea was, if the predator is supposed to be a registered sex offender, they should keep their Internet distance as well as their physical distance.

"The object is to protect innocent individuals on the Internet from sex offenders."

Quinn also signed into law a new offense known as grooming, where a predator over time coaxes a minor into meeting for sexual activities. The law, whose sponsors included Rep. Jack Franks (D-Marengo), is aimed at closing a loophole in the current sex registration law, he said. It takes effect immediately.

Another bill, signed on a busy day where Quinn dealt with dozens of bills, deals with child visitation rights. As of Jan. 1, the law will provide for visitation rights through electronic communication such as telephone, e-mail and instant messaging.

Good and bad points. I agree with the internet thing.

I personally feel child molestors should be executed by I guess anyway we can make it harder for these released physcopaths to do it again as most always do then sure why not.

Rev
08-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, I tend to lean in the same direction as crisco, its kinda hard to get on the web if you have a bad case of dead.

jasonmma
08-13-2009, 03:09 AM
i agree child molesters shouldnt even get a second chance to be a second time offender, they should get life in solitary confinement

County Mike
08-13-2009, 12:16 PM
This isn't quite so cut and dry. I also feel that child molestors should be killed. The problem is, quite a few other "offenses" fall under the "sex offender" list. If an 18 year old has sex with his 17 year old girlfriend and the parents press charges - he's a sex offender. Some guy takes a piss by the side of the highway and is busted - sex offender.

The problem is, they need a better determination of what constitutes a sex offender. The true sex offenders I have no mercy for. The 18 year old with a 17 year old girlfriend shouldn't be labeled the same.

rearnakedchoke
08-13-2009, 01:53 PM
I honestly think that anyone but child molesters .... they have it in their head that seeing a child with sexual feelings is ok ... i think they have the highest re-offending rate than most criminals too ... and even with chemical castration they have still been known to molest children in other ways .... i say no to killing them, but yes to leaving them in gen pop with a target tatted on their rears ... LOL .. let some murderer have their way with them ...

mikthehick
08-13-2009, 01:56 PM
It's a good idea, but I'm hesitant on how they really can enforce it.

As I get to know my friends more, I'm finding that many of them were abused in some way as kids. It makes me really frustrated, especially because it's alot more people than you could ever imagine.

I don't remember the actual stats, but I think 1 in 4 kids was abused either sexually, physically, or verbally growing up, usually by a friend or family member.

Sometimes, the effects of this go on the rest of the victim's life. I can attest to this as I was verbally abused by a clergy member for about 6 months as a kid--I did not trust men at all and became distant with everyone for years, until it finally was healed with Christian counseling in 2007.

I apologize for going off on this, but it really is a passionate cause for me in my counseling training. I hope one day, I will be able to help wounded people heal from past trauma.

No one has ANY right to ever harm a child. They are our future.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-13-2009, 07:22 PM
This isn't quite so cut and dry. I also feel that child molestors should be killed. The problem is, quite a few other "offenses" fall under the "sex offender" list. If an 18 year old has sex with his 17 year old girlfriend and the parents press charges - he's a sex offender. Some guy takes a piss by the side of the highway and is busted - sex offender.

The problem is, they need a better determination of what constitutes a sex offender. The true sex offenders I have no mercy for. The 18 year old with a 17 year old girlfriend shouldn't be labeled the same.

That's my main problem with the sex offender thing! I want to know if it's just some 18 yo with a willing 17 yo or a true Child molester! If they are a real child molester hang em high for all I care. Just as long as the evidence is real good that they are guilty!

atomdanger
08-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Pfft, sounds horrible to me.

On one hand, if you're an SO you're dead to me and I don't care how you're treated.

But making it illegal to use myspace or other sites to keep in touch with friends and family? Ehhh