View Full Version : MMA fighter 'Joker' held for observation after suicide attempt

08-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Distraught mixed martial arts fighter Mike "Joker" Guymon was undergoing psychiatric evaluation Tuesday after he apparently tried to commit suicide by having police shoot him following an argument with his wife, authorities said.

Surrounded by Orange County sheriff's deputies and refusing to come out of his SUV, Guymon, 34, surrendered to Sheriff's Department spokesman Jim Amormino, a close friend of the fighter.

Deputies were called to Guymon's house by his wife Nicole just before 11 a.m., said Sheriff's Department Lt. Mike Jansen. The fighter, who runs Joker's Wild Fighting Academy in Lake Forest, had tried to commit suicide, Jansen said.

According to Nicole Guymon, Guymon was extremely distraught after the couple argued. Mike Guymon had a gun, but his wife managed to get the gun from him, Jansen said.

Guymon, who holds the King of the Cage Welterweight title, was gone by the time deputies arrived. A countywide broadcast was put out with a description of Guymon and his vehicle, Jansen said.

While deputies searched for her husband, Nicole Guymon called Amormino, pleading for him to help her husband.

Just before 2 p.m., deputies pulled Guymon over at Lake Forest Drive and Regency Lane, Jansen said. Parked in the lot of an Arco station, Guymon refused to come out of his SUV, Jansen said.

Unsure if Guymon was armed, deputies surrounded the SUV.

Not knowing Guymon was in his SUV surrounded by deputies, Amormino made several calls to Guymon. The phone calls were of reassurance, Amormino said, telling Guymon how his wife, family and friends were worried about him.

When Amormino found out Guymon had been surrounded but refused to come out, he begged the fighter to surrender.

"He said, 'No, I'm going to make them shoot me,' " Amormino said. But when Amormino asked him if he would come out for him, Guymon agreed.

"He said he would never hurt me," Amormino said.

Guymon kept his word. He gave up peacefully, even allowing Amormino to handcuff him in a standard safety procedure.

Guymon is being held on a psychiatric-evaluation hold at Evaluation and Treatment Services, a Santa Ana psychiatric hospital. He can be kept up to 72 hours.

Authorities do not believe drugs were involved, Jansen said.

Guymon, who has been fighting since 2000, trains all levels of MMA fighters at his Lake Forest gym. Guymon's nickname "Joker" comes from his huge and almost always present smile, he said in an interview earlier this year.

Contact the writer: 714-796-7829 or kedds@ocregister.com


08-16-2009, 11:31 PM
:angry: :angry:

I thought you were talking about Jess Liaudin!

Thank GOD you are not!


08-16-2009, 11:42 PM
That's who I thought it was to at first but decided to post anyway :laugh:

08-17-2009, 01:21 AM
That's who I thought it was to at first but decided to post anyway :laugh:
well i'm glad it wasnt. Jess has been travelling...he went to Hong Kong to train and all over the place. He's finally returned to France...so hopefully he will fight again soon :)

...maybe he'll win :unsure-1: