PDA

View Full Version : Matt v Hallman ????

rearnakedchoke
08-12-2009, 02:39 PM
If this is true, would matt take this fight???

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9356&zoneid=13

Irish Pride
08-12-2009, 02:43 PM
I love when fighters get the chance to avenge losses. I just read an article over at MMAweekly that Dennis Hallman is returning to the UFC.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9356&zoneid=13

Dennis beat Matt twice. Once in EC by guillotine, next in UFC by armbar. I'd love to see Matt beat down Dennis, avenge his loss, and show everything he has learned since then! :punch:

Irish Pride
08-12-2009, 02:44 PM
LOL posted 5 minutes BEFORE mine...darn. Well, merge the two threads. I was typing it up while you were. That's funny right there. :tongue0011:

Llamafighter
08-12-2009, 03:56 PM
I'd love to see Hallman get his @$$ kicked.

Boomer
08-12-2009, 05:21 PM
This would be a waste of matt's time. Most pollers have Matt at #6 in the WW division and Hallman isn't even on the map. Matt has nothing to gain for fighting him on the business side of the house. If Matt wins ... so he beat a guy not even ranked ... if he should lose ... it suddenly gives Dennis more credit in the division and revives his career. Of course much of this also depends on how much longer Matt decided to fight. If it’s going to be one more and then hang it up ... honestly it doesn't matter who he fights and this would be a good redemption match and would sell well. If he plans to run for the title again .. he should fight someone ranked above him in the polls and not someone who wouldn't do anything for him when he wins.

I actually enjoyed watching Hallman in the IFL. I liked his cowboy karate thing he did and was an entertaining fighter. Just don't think its a good fight for Matt, other than being entertaining from a two loss revenge match.

Blmfighter
08-12-2009, 06:54 PM
I thought that the last fight Hallman did in some small show he got busted from drugs. Does anyone else remember anything about this. I think this is a bad fight for Matt. He has the skills to beat Hallman all day. however if is makes a mistake or get cut and loses the fight it will make him drop in the rankings.

I know Matt does not care for the rankings and if he wants to fight one last fight and he wants it to be Hallman then that is great. I hope regardless if he fights one more time or 5 more times that he gets a top 5 fighter.

TENNESSEAN
08-12-2009, 07:19 PM
This would be a waste of matt's time. Most pollers have Matt at #6 in the WW division and Hallman isn't even on the map. Matt has nothing to gain for fighting him on the business side of the house. If Matt wins ... so he beat a guy not even ranked ... if he should lose ... it suddenly gives Dennis more credit in the division and revives his career. Of course much of this also depends on how much longer Matt decided to fight. If itís going to be one more and then hang it up ... honestly it doesn't matter who he fights and this would be a good redemption match and would sell well. If he plans to run for the title again .. he should fight someone ranked above him in the polls and not someone who wouldn't do anything for him when he wins.

I actually enjoyed watching Hallman in the IFL. I liked his cowboy karate thing he did and was an entertaining fighter. Just don't think its a good fight for Matt, other than being entertaining from a two loss revenge match.

True That!!
Matt's last fight or not Hallman has allot of men to beat up before he deserves a shot at Matt, and the payday and name rec that will come from such fight.
If the people want a rematch. I want to see T A and Matt rematch. Thatís a rematch of two Men in the same class and deserve the perks of fighting at that level.
But I will spend my money to watch Matt no matter who he fights. Anyone out there pay money to watch Hallmen no matter who he is fighting.:Whistle:

Boomer
08-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Anyone out there pay money to watch Hallmen no matter who he is fighting.:Whistle:

<cricket cricket>

Soooo .... Looks like clouds rolling in ....

<cricket cricket>

Guess Iiiiii'll just wait for someone to speak up

<dog howling in back ground>

Surrre is chilly out here

<woman screams baby starts crying>

Might just ... head on inside while I wait for this answer

<cow moos>

might just ... leave this one be altogether ...

NateR
08-12-2009, 07:57 PM
I remember one time when Jeremy Horn was at the gym, helping Matt train for a fight, and he said that the worst fights you can ever compete in are the ones where everyone expects you to just totally destroy your opponent. Because not only do you have to win, but you have to completely dominate every second of the fight or you still lose ground in the eyes of the fans.

So Matt has nothing to gain, but everything to lose by fighting Dennis Hallman again. If he wins, it's no big deal, because everyone expected him to win anyways. His ranking will either drop or stay the same. Defeating Hallman will not advance Matt through the WW ranks at all. So there is no reason for Matt to take this fight.

Boomer
08-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Agreed .. unless as I said above this will bring closure to something Matt feels is left unfinished. i.e. beat the only guy who beat him twice. Might be the final period in the last sentence of this chapter.

Other than that scenario ... not a good fight.

Crisco
08-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Agreed .. unless as I said above this will bring closure to something Matt feels is left unfinished. i.e. beat the only guy who beat him twice. Might be the final period in the last sentence of this chapter.

Boomer I'm ashamed.

GSP also managed to defeat Matt twice.

That being said GSP, Hallman, TA, Swick, Kampmann,

I don't care who Matt fights at this point I just really want him back in the cage!

Boomer
08-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Boomer I'm ashamed.

I don't care who Matt fights at this point I just really want him back in the cage!

:laugh: I do block greasy george out of my mind. :laugh: It's almost 1:00am here ... so I don't connect a few dots. :ninja:

But I stand corrected. :D Im in the process of watching all the UFCs with Matt in them. its what I do every night before I go to bed to relax a bit. I honestly do have a mental block with GSP. I forget everything about him. Like . .I remember Jason Miller fighting at UFC 52 .. but didn't remember GSP at all. He's like a phantom to me. :ninja:

Crisco
08-12-2009, 08:34 PM
:laugh: I do block greasy george out of my mind. :laugh: It's almost 1:00am here ... so I don't connect a few dots. :ninja:

But I stand corrected. :D Im in the process of watching all the UFCs with Matt in them. its what I do every night before I go to bed to relax a bit. I honestly do have a mental block with GSP. I forget everything about him. Like . .I remember Jason Miller fighting at UFC 52 .. but didn't remember GSP at all. He's like a phantom to me. :ninja:

He's so greasy he glides right out of your thoughts :laugh:

Boomer
08-12-2009, 08:36 PM
He's so greasy he glides right out of your thoughts :laugh:
:laugh: yea something like that. he's just forgettable to me.

Llamafighter
08-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Agreed .. unless as I said above this will bring closure to something Matt feels is left unfinished. i.e. beat the only guy who beat him twice, that he didn't have at least 1 win over. Might be the final period in the last sentence of this chapter.

I couldn't find anything wrong with what Boomer put, Crisco...:ninja:

Crisco
08-12-2009, 10:26 PM

You wouldn't would you :ninja:

TENNESSEAN
08-12-2009, 11:02 PM

If this be the case and Matt wants to avenge the loss. He should just invite Hallman to the farm have a few of us mega fans over and do it up in the barn like Clint Eastwood:punch: . The world would never know:ninja: . We could all chip in give Hallman a couple hundred bucks:happydancing: to help with the doc bills and send him on his way.:tongue0011:

Irish Pride
08-12-2009, 11:59 PM
As a contender and a fighter, I just thought he would want to avenge a fight by beating a fighter that beat him twice.

I don't think beating Serra advanced him at all, but did shut Serra up since he talked crap. :punch: :w00t:

rearnakedchoke
08-13-2009, 12:31 AM
I remember one time when Jeremy Horn was at the gym, helping Matt train for a fight, and he said that the worst fights you can ever compete in are the ones where everyone expects you to just totally destroy your opponent. Because not only do you have to win, but you have to completely dominate every second of the fight or you still lose ground in the eyes of the fans.

So Matt has nothing to gain, but everything to lose by fighting Dennis Hallman again. If he wins, it's no big deal, because everyone expected him to win anyways. His ranking will either drop or stay the same. Defeating Hallman will not advance Matt through the WW ranks at all. So there is no reason for Matt to take this fight.

Correctamundo ... I am sure matt would like revenge, but isn't 9 time/GOAT UFC champ revenge enough? no doubt matt would smash him, but he needs meaningful fights that are going to get him closer to a title shot

Tyburn
08-13-2009, 12:47 AM
Remind me.

Who is Hallman :huh:

rearnakedchoke
08-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Boomer I'm ashamed.

well, matt did beat georges once, so gsp is sorta one win on matt .. just tryna get boomer off on a technicality ... he is a hero, so i don't think he can be wrong much ..

Boomer
08-13-2009, 06:10 AM
As a contender and a fighter, I just thought he would want to avenge a fight by beating a fighter that beat him twice.

I don't think beating Serra advanced him at all, but did shut Serra up since he talked crap. :punch: :w00t:

Hey Irish .. yeah believe it or not Serra was in the top 10 before his loss to Matt. One poll even had him above Matt. :angry: I wrote them a nasty letter. It did help Matt's standing though in the division. Even though it could have been luck, Matt Serra was the WW champ and took the belt from the guy who took it from Matt.

I also wrote FightSport Magazine because they were still listing Matt and Robbie as fighting with MFS. I told them that in FEB 08 Matt and Robbie started their own camp and should be H.I.T. in the poll's listing and sent them some links. They wrote back thanking me and said it would be changed in the next issue.

Boomer
08-13-2009, 06:12 AM
well, matt did beat georges once, so gsp is sorta one win on matt .. just tryna get boomer off on a technicality ... he is a hero, so i don't think he can be wrong much ..

that was my train of thought .... just said it wrong. But RNC got my back!! :w00t:

Wait :huh: is that a good thing or should I be tapping right now??

Boomer
08-13-2009, 06:13 AM

Nice ... :laugh:

rearnakedchoke
08-13-2009, 01:54 PM
that was my train of thought .... just said it wrong. But RNC got my back!! :w00t:

Wait :huh: is that a good thing or should I be tapping right now??
yeah man, i got your back ... no need to tap though .. LOL

Mike1983
08-13-2009, 04:08 PM
I definitely agree with the majority on here. This fight is a waste of time. If Matt is going to keep fighting he might as well make a run for the title. If he is just doing one more fight then like someone said earlier it really doesn't matter who he fights.

Irish Pride
08-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Has Matt expressed interest in a fourth fight with GSP? If he doesn't wish a fight with GSP there is no sense in him trying to climb up the ranks. He is already there. So who should he fight? If he has no desire to fight GSP again for the belt, every fight he takes he will have nothing to gain because he's not gunning for the title, at least not from GSP.

VCURamFan
08-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Has Matt expressed interest in a fourth fight with GSP? If he doesn't wish a fight with GSP there is no sense in him trying to climb up the ranks. He is already there. So who should he fight? If he has no desire to fight GSP again for the belt, every fight he takes he will have nothing to gain because he's not gunning for the title, at least not from GSP.Matt's said many times that he wants another shot & that he thinks he can take him.

ufcfan2
08-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Well if hes gunning for another shot at GSP,he'll probably need 1-2 wins over top opponants to get one like Fitch,KoS,Alves or someone like them. Since Kapp/Swick winner is getting the shot the list of ppl GSP ran thru is getting small.
I agree with everyone its a pointless to fight Hallman now it would do nothing for Matt's career or advancement. Im not a big fan of redemption fights unless they make sence.

Vizion
08-14-2009, 07:58 PM
I remember getting ripped on for suggesting Hallman return to the UFC to fight Matt again...everyone here said it would never happen...

well then...:laugh:

VCURamFan
08-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I remember getting ripped on for suggesting Hallman return to the UFC to fight Matt again...everyone here said it would never happen...

well then...:laugh:I still don't think the Matt fight will ever happen, but I'll admit I'm shocked that Dana brought Hallman back.

He must be planning to build up the younger talents by feeding them the "Old Greats".:rolleyes:

Vizion
08-19-2009, 05:18 PM
I still don't think the Matt fight will ever happen, but I'll admit I'm shocked that Dana brought Hallman back.You not wanting it to happen equates to nothing. the UFC is as much about drama and ratings as any show. Can you hear Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg now??? Can you hear the commericals for "Hughes vs Hallman" - Hallman, the only man to ever defeat the greatest WW who ever lived.

The UFC is SCRIPTED my friend...this fight will almost assuredly happen, lest Matt retires first. I'll sig bet you on that one.

TENNESSEAN
08-19-2009, 06:07 PM
You not wanting it to happen equates to nothing. the UFC is as much about drama and ratings as any show. Can you hear Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg now??? Can you hear the commericals for "Hughes vs Hallman" - Hallman, the only man to ever defeat the greatest WW who ever lived.

The UFC is SCRIPTED my friend...this fight will almost assuredly happen, lest Matt retires first. I'll sig bet you on that one.

Not going to happen. nobody cares or even knows enough about hallman to get behind him. it would be a one sided ppv. matts fans and hallmans momma would be the only ones to buy it.

Twinsmama
08-19-2009, 06:48 PM
"matts fans and hallmans momma would be the only ones to buy it"

that cracked me up:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Vizion
08-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Not going to happen. nobody cares or even knows enough about hallman to get behind him. it would be a one sided ppv. matts fans and hallmans momma would be the only ones to buy it.
hmm...not sure that's a sound argument. Hallman is IN the UFC, check. Hallman beats Hughes x 2, check. Pretty sure enough people have heard or will hear of him by the time this would be set up so moot point there.

ppv buys for anything Matt is in, especially a revenge saga against an old nemisis would make for an interesting card for sure, thus there will be buys. and it would be a GREAT fight for Matt too. Better than Serra was.

the UFC makes drama happen. i tell you now, this fight is already being discussed by Dana and co. we will soon find out. only way i see it not happening other than Matt retring is if Hallman performs so poorly as he did when he was in the UFC years ago, and they wouldn't want to waste Matt on him. Otherwise, if he does well, rest assured Matt will face him again.

Llamafighter
08-19-2009, 09:42 PM
They brought Jeremy Horn back after being away, to fight Chuck,anything is possible. The UFC PR machine could really build the fight. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Matt get those losses off his record. Then he can take out Pele, GSP, and Alves.

TENNESSEAN
08-20-2009, 04:17 AM
Here's a old interview with matt he talks about hallman. Its old but still relevant.
I had to cut and paste it. I'm on my phone.

Matt Boone: We are joined now by the current UFC Welterweight champion. You can see him live on pay-per view this Friday night taking on Gil Castillo, we have Matt Hughes on the line. Matt, what's going on man? Matt Hughes: Not much guys, how are you doing? Matt Boone: I'm doing great. Matt Hughes: Good. Matt Boone: First off, how are you feeling physically for the fight right now? Matt Hughes: I feel great. I've trained hard, got my body prepared, and I'm ready. Matt Boone: For a wrestling fan, I mean, you use the wrestling style, you kind of remind me of like a Kurt Angle. Matt Hughes: Yes, right, correct, correct. Matt Boone: You train with the Militech camp of course, why don't you talk about how you train? I mean, is it possible to prepare for a lot of the stuff that goes on in the octagon or is it more of like an instinct type thing? Matt Hughes: Well, a lot of it's instinct, but I mean we train everything. We train stand up. We got a whole night dedicated to take-downs. We spar on Wednesday nights very heavy. We do submissions, grappling. So we try and train for every aspect. Wrestling, striking, and grappling. And you just got to be well versed in this sport now-a-days. My wrestling background is what got me to the best in this sport. Matt Boone: What is your take on the WWE stealing the finish of your first fight with Carlos Newton? Matt Hughes: Oh. (laughs) You know, I didn't get to see that, but I heard about it. It's kind of funny that they would use that. I like WWE. It's not a sport, it's pure entertainment, and you've just got to look at it, you know, as the male soap opera. It is entertaining, I will say that. But, it was alright. It was alright. I didn't mind it. I thought it was kind of funny. Matt Boone: Going into the fight with Gil Castillo this Friday, are you looking to try and take him out with the stand up attack, or are we going to see some of the classic ground-work like your recent fights with Sakuri and Newton? Matt Hughes: I'm going to try and work my stand up. Of course I say that a lot and I get in there and your natural reaction is to go back to what you do best and that would be grappling for me. So, the take-downs are you going to be hard for me to just go out there and do, but I'm going to try and work on my stand-up game a little bit. Matt Boone: A lot of people say that you are easily the strongest at 170 lbs. How important do you think your strength will be in this particular fight with Gil Castillo this Friday? Matt Hughes: Well, you know, being on my feet as much as I want to be, the strength doesn't have a whole lot of play there. You know, maybe some knockout power, but your knockout power comes a lot from form, and not just pure strength. It might not play a role to it, but at least every round I do want to take him down to the ground and grind on him a little bit because people get tired being underneath somebody who is strong. I want to wear him out on the ground and that way when I get him back up on his feet, he's going to be a lot slower. Matt Boone: Kind of like you did with (Carlos) Newton in the second fight? Matt Hughes: Correct. Correct, he got very tired being underneath me and it worked to my advantage. Matt Boone: A lot of people say that this event this Friday is going to bring back a lot of the old cult-followers of the UFC product. How important is it for you to make an impression on what will probably be the biggest pay-per view audience you've ever performed for? Matt Hughes: Well, I haven't really thought about that aspect. You know, I'm just going to go out there and do the best I can do. I don't care who's watching, or how many people. My performance doesn't change according to pay-per view buys or anything like that. So, I'm not really concerned. If I do my best, then people are going to like what I do. Matt Boone: How important is the age-factor in the MMA game? I mean, if I'm not mistaken, there's like an 8-year difference between you and Castillo. Matt Hughes: Yeah, you know what? One thing about Gil is he'll be ready to go 5 rounds. He's a very well-conditioned athelete. But, you know, in the back of my head I've got to think him being that much older than me is going to have some play. I know with Pat (Militech) it takes him a little longer to get in shape and he's only 35. I'm going to try and not underestimate Gil, that's going to be the only thing that can really hurt me in this fight, not thinking Gil is good enough to be in there. Matt Boone: That's somewhat my next question here, confidence. I mean, your last 9 outings you've been successful. How important is confidence when heading into a big fight? Matt Hughes: Well, I am definitely confident, but I don't want to be too confident. That could be the thing that hurts me this time because my last two fights with Carlos, the first time I beat him he was champion. The second time he was ranked number 2. Sakuri, when I fought him, he was number 3 in the world. So getting yourself prepared for those guys, you know it's going to be a tough fight. It's easy, either you get prepared or you go out there and get your head knocked off. Matt Boone: Your last couple of fights here, you've been the underdog according to the odds makers and everything like that. This is probably your first time as champion going in as the favorite. Matt Hughes: Correct, correct. Matt Boone: How do you think that is going to weigh-in to the fight? Matt Hughes: Hopefully, it won't (laughs). the same old thing to where I've got to tell myself, "hey Gil Castillo is dangerous, he can beat me. He can use his strikes and knock me out, or submit me." This sport is so different from everything else to where it takes a split second and you're done. Either on your feet or on the ground. Matt Boone: One shot ends it all. Matt Hughes: Yeah, exactly. So, I mean, you just got to be prepared. Matt Boone: You have a great amateur wrestling background. When you exit the ocatgon for the last time, is there any chance of you crossing over to pro wrestling like a lot of others have done? Matt Hughes: You know, I don't have the attitude. (Laughs) I'm a country boy, small town, I don't talk much. I try and let my talking be done in the ring. So I don't know that I will transform well into that. The only way I would, is if I was just a silent guy. That's the only way I would, but you know what? You've got to continue to make money and if that's an avenue then we'll check it out, but I'm not the type to sit there and knock somebody else even though it is fake. Matt Boone: You've gone on record saying you wouldn't fight anyone from your own team, like a Robbie Lawler, and I'm sure you not one to look past an opponent, but if you get Castillo this Friday, who is left for you? Matt Hughes: Sean Sherk, I believe is the next guy in line. He's in the top 5 in the world, I think he's number 5. He would be next. He's got a wrestling background and we'll see. Like you said, I'll try and not look past it, but he is who I would think would be in the running for the next title shot. Matt Boone: What about Dennis Hallman? Would you like to avenge your losses to him now that you're a little more experienced? Matt Hughes: If Dennis Hallman could finally beat somebody other than me, (laughs) I'd like to fight Dennis Hallman. Matt Boone: He had a pretty good showing at the King of the Cage show recently. Matt Hughes: Yes, but you know, it wasn't really a name. He's got to beat somebody who has a name. He fights Frank Trigg, the day after, the 23rd. So, if he can beat Frank Trigg then yeah, he's maybe earned a shot at the title. He's got to be able to beat somebody besides me before I'll fight him. Matt Boone: Well, that's pretty much all I've got for you today. Definitely want to thank you for coming on here. Matt Hughes: OK, thank you

Vizion
08-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Hmm...well maybe Hallman will beat someone other than him and Matt will get the rematch. To my knowledge, Matt cannot say no to Dana, so if Dana wants this fight with Hallman, will Matt not take it?

MattHughesRocks
08-20-2009, 06:27 AM
I think Matt can say whatever he wants.I believe his contract is up.

VCURamFan
08-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Just doing a little formatting on Scott's post. The bit about Hallman is at the end (I underlined it):

Matt Boone: We are joined now by the current UFC Welterweight champion. You can see him live on pay-per view this Friday night taking on Gil Castillo, we have Matt Hughes on the line. Matt, what's going on man?

Matt Hughes: Not much guys, how are you doing?

Matt Boone: I'm doing great.

Matt Hughes: Good.

Matt Boone: First off, how are you feeling physically for the fight right now?
Matt Hughes: I feel great. I've trained hard, got my body prepared, and I'm ready.

Matt Boone: For a wrestling fan, I mean, you use the wrestling style, you kind of remind me of like a Kurt Angle.

Matt Hughes: Yes, right, correct, correct.

Matt Boone: You train with the Militech camp of course, why don't you talk about how you train? I mean, is it possible to prepare for a lot of the stuff that goes on in the octagon or is it more of like an instinct type thing?

Matt Hughes: Well, a lot of it's instinct, but I mean we train everything. We train stand up. We got a whole night dedicated to take-downs. We spar on Wednesday nights very heavy. We do submissions, grappling. So we try and train for every aspect. Wrestling, striking, and grappling. And you just got to be well versed in this sport now-a-days. My wrestling background is what got me to the best in this sport.

Matt Boone: What is your take on the WWE stealing the finish of your first fight with Carlos Newton?

Matt Hughes: Oh. (laughs) You know, I didn't get to see that, but I heard about it. It's kind of funny that they would use that. I like WWE. It's not a sport, it's pure entertainment, and you've just got to look at it, you know, as the male soap opera. It is entertaining, I will say that. But, it was alright. It was alright. I didn't mind it. I thought it was kind of funny.

Matt Boone: Going into the fight with Gil Castillo this Friday, are you looking to try and take him out with the stand up attack, or are we going to see some of the classic ground-work like your recent fights with Sakuri and Newton?

Matt Hughes: I'm going to try and work my stand up. Of course I say that a lot and I get in there and your natural reaction is to go back to what you do best and that would be grappling for me. So, the take-downs are you going to be hard for me to just go out there and do, but I'm going to try and work on my stand-up game a little bit.

Matt Boone: A lot of people say that you are easily the strongest at 170 lbs. How important do you think your strength will be in this particular fight with Gil Castillo this Friday?

Matt Hughes: Well, you know, being on my feet as much as I want to be, the strength doesn't have a whole lot of play there. You know, maybe some knockout power, but your knockout power comes a lot from form, and not just pure strength. It might not play a role to it, but at least every round I do want to take him down to the ground and grind on him a little bit because people get tired being underneath somebody who is strong. I want to wear him out on the ground and that way when I get him back up on his feet, he's going to be a lot slower.

Matt Boone: Kind of like you did with (Carlos) Newton in the second fight?

Matt Hughes: Correct. Correct, he got very tired being underneath me and it worked to my advantage.

Matt Boone: A lot of people say that this event this Friday is going to bring back a lot of the old cult-followers of the UFC product. How important is it for you to make an impression on what will probably be the biggest pay-per view audience you've ever performed for?

Matt Hughes: Well, I haven't really thought about that aspect. You know, I'm just going to go out there and do the best I can do. I don't care who's watching, or how many people. My performance doesn't change according to pay-per view buys or anything like that. So, I'm not really concerned. If I do my best, then people are going to like what I do.

Matt Boone: How important is the age-factor in the MMA game? I mean, if I'm not mistaken, there's like an 8-year difference between you and Castillo.

Matt Hughes: Yeah, you know what? One thing about Gil is he'll be ready to go 5 rounds. He's a very well-conditioned athelete. But, you know, in the back of my head I've got to think him being that much older than me is going to have some play. I know with Pat (Militech) it takes him a little longer to get in shape and he's only 35. I'm going to try and not underestimate Gil, that's going to be the only thing that can really hurt me in this fight, not thinking Gil is good enough to be in there.

Matt Boone: That's somewhat my next question here, confidence. I mean, your last 9 outings you've been successful. How important is confidence when heading into a big fight?

Matt Hughes: Well, I am definitely confident, but I don't want to be too confident. That could be the thing that hurts me this time because my last two fights with Carlos, the first time I beat him he was champion. The second time he was ranked number 2. Sakuri, when I fought him, he was number 3 in the world. So getting yourself prepared for those guys, you know it's going to be a tough fight. It's easy, either you get prepared or you go out there and get your head knocked off.

Matt Boone: Your last couple of fights here, you've been the underdog according to the odds makers and everything like that. This is probably your first time as champion going in as the favorite.

Matt Hughes: Correct, correct.

Matt Boone: How do you think that is going to weigh-in to the fight?

Matt Hughes: Hopefully, it won't (laughs). the same old thing to where I've got to tell myself, "hey Gil Castillo is dangerous, he can beat me. He can use his strikes and knock me out, or submit me." This sport is so different from everything else to where it takes a split second and you're done. Either on your feet or on the ground.

Matt Boone: One shot ends it all.

Matt Hughes: Yeah, exactly. So, I mean, you just got to be prepared.

Matt Boone: You have a great amateur wrestling background. When you exit the ocatgon for the last time, is there any chance of you crossing over to pro wrestling like a lot of others have done?

Matt Hughes: You know, I don't have the attitude. (Laughs) I'm a country boy, small town, I don't talk much. I try and let my talking be done in the ring. So I don't know that I will transform well into that. The only way I would, is if I was just a silent guy. That's the only way I would, but you know what? You've got to continue to make money and if that's an avenue then we'll check it out, but I'm not the type to sit there and knock somebody else even though it is fake.

Matt Boone: You've gone on record saying you wouldn't fight anyone from your own team, like a Robbie Lawler, and I'm sure you not one to look past an opponent, but if you get Castillo this Friday, who is left for you?

Matt Hughes: Sean Sherk, I believe is the next guy in line. He's in the top 5 in the world, I think he's number 5. He would be next. He's got a wrestling background and we'll see. Like you said, I'll try and not look past it, but he is who I would think would be in the running for the next title shot.

Matt Boone: What about Dennis Hallman? Would you like to avenge your losses to him now that you're a little more experienced?

Matt Hughes: If Dennis Hallman could finally beat somebody other than me, (laughs) I'd like to fight Dennis Hallman.

Matt Boone: He had a pretty good showing at the King of the Cage show recently.

Matt Hughes: Yes, but you know, it wasn't really a name. He's got to beat somebody who has a name. He fights Frank Trigg, the day after, the 23rd. So, if he can beat Frank Trigg then yeah, he's maybe earned a shot at the title. He's got to be able to beat somebody besides me before I'll fight him.

Matt Boone: Well, that's pretty much all I've got for you today. Definitely want to thank you for coming on here.

Matt Hughes: OK, thank you

TENNESSEAN
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
thanks ben, the cut and paste didnt work so well.

Jonlion
08-20-2009, 10:36 PM
i think that Matt's input will account for something on this

Boomer
08-24-2009, 08:12 AM
I thought that the last fight Hallman did in some small show he got busted from drugs. Does anyone else remember anything about this.

:scared0011: Sorry Arron missed your question here. yea he did pop for roids in 2007.

411mania (http://www.411mania.com/MMA/news/64222/Dennis-Hallman-and-Alexander-Crispim-Test-Positive-for-Steroids.htm)

Dennis Hallman and Alexander Crispim Test Positive for Steroids
Posted by Bren Oliver on 11.29.2007

Two more Strikeforce athletes caught using performance enhancing drugs...

The California State Athletic Commission issued statements today in reference to two fighters testing positive for steroids. Each individual fought on the November 16th, 2007 Strikeforce card and both were victorious. Neither fighter's win will be affected by today's announcement, per the athletic commission's current policy, though the CSAC is in the process of passing new regulations stating any fighter who wins while having tested positive for a banned substance will have the victory removed and replaced with a "No Contest" result.

Alexander Crispim's (3-1) drug testing results showed use of Desoxymethyltestosterone. His suspension will run until his license to compete expires on March 29th, 2008 and will then be given an additional 231 days when he re-applies in order to serve the full term of the suspension. Crispim was also fined $2,500.

MMA veteran Dennis Hallman's (38-12-2) results also showed use of steroids, as he tested positive for Drostanolone and Nandrolone Metabolite. His suspension will run until the end of his licensing year (10/8/08) and he will receive an additional 38 days to fulfill the entire 365-day period. Hallman has also been required to pay a $2,500 fine.