PDA

View Full Version : Nick Diaz tries to skip drug test-Can't fight now

MattHughesRocks
08-11-2009, 05:37 AM
A welterweight title fight between Nick Diaz and Jay Hieron at Strikeforce “Carano vs. Cyborg” is the latest casualty in a long line of changes to the Aug. 15 card.

The bout came into question on Friday when Diaz missed a pre-fight drug test mandated by the California State Athletic Commission.

Bill Douglas, Assistant Executive Officer of CSAC, on Saturday informed MMAWeekly.com that Diaz had not been licensed and the situation would be “a challenging process.”

On Monday, Diaz’s manager, Cesar Gracie, said his fighter had an informal agreement with former CSAC executive officer Armando Garcia that precluded random drug testing. Diaz, a resident of Stockton, Calif., currently holds a medical marijuana license under the state’s Compassionate Use Act of 1996 and Medical Marijuana Program Act. Garcia departed the agency last November.

“They changed it without any notification,” said Gracie. “No one had any time. The old guys were doing things based off of California law, and I knew California law didn’t change. He’s licensed... it’s legal. They’re own legal team came out with a ruling that said (compassionate use was allowed). Then all of a sudden they’re saying we’re doing drug tests, and cannabis is included, it’s not just performance enhancers. To flush it out of his system, it takes 10 days, and we don’t have that.”

It’s not the first time Diaz has come under fire for his marijuana use. In April 2007, the Nevada State Athletic Commission stripped him of a victory over Takanori Gomi at Pride 33 due to high levels of the drug in his system. Last March, he was stricken from a Strikeforce co-promotion with Elite XC when he reported his use of the drug on a pre-fight medical questionnaire.

On a Monday teleconference promoting the fight, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said CSAC gave Diaz until 3p.m. on Monday to take a “second chance” test in Los Angeles. A contingency plan had been prepared in the event Diaz does not get licensed, he added, and Hieron would fight regardless of the outcome with Diaz.

In a fiery email sent to media members, Douglas said Diaz and his representatives hadn’t contacted him to arrange the second test.

“If Mr. Diaz is in fact in route to Los Angeles, then it is news to us because he has not notified us and considering that we are administering the test,” wrote Douglas, “I suggest that he or someone from his camp ‘let’s their fingers do the walking,’ ‘reaches out to touch someone,’ or any other colorful catch phrase that you can think of stemming from an old telephone commercial.

“Strikeforce has approached us with a replacement opponent and the representative from the promotion company that spoke with (CSAC representative) inspector Segovia about one hour ago stated, ‘If we don't know by noon then it's done.’"

Shortly after, Douglas informed MMAWeekly.com that Diaz had not renewed his license and UFC and Dream veteran Jesse Taylor had been approved for the fight.

“We wish (Diaz) well in his future endeavors,” wrote Douglas.

Gracie said the situation was unfortunate, but Diaz would take a later fight.

“He fights every two months,” said Gracie. “It’s too bad for Jay Hieron, but what can you do? If you take the test, what’s going to happen? What’s going to happen is he’s gonna not get licensed in California for over a year and not fight this fight. If you don’t take this test, you don’t fight this fight, and you fight next month, because you have time to flush it out of your system.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9345&zoneid=2

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :happy0198:
I really really needed that laugh:w00t:

Boomer
08-11-2009, 05:45 AM
state’s Compassionate Use Act of 1996

Can someone explain this to me? :huh:

Maldonado136
08-11-2009, 05:55 AM
oh well he'll fight in a few months. still dont understand the big deal about it but i guess its because many people really believe what officer jones told them in sixth grade lol.

MattHughesRocks
08-11-2009, 06:30 AM
It's stoner mumbo jumbo dude

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Smileys/StonedSmileys.gif

Can someone explain this to me? :huh:

County Mike
08-11-2009, 11:39 AM
http://10-31.net/fans/parents/mtp_main.jpg
Are you a pothead Focker?

clm12704
08-11-2009, 11:57 AM
pwnd!

Chuck
08-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm not surprised.....

rearnakedchoke
08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
http://10-31.net/fans/parents/mtp_main.jpg
Are you a pothead Focker?
LOL ... hyperactivity disorder so he needs weed ... what a lame excuse ... there are plenty of other drugs that his physician could prescribe him ... this idiot should be banned from fighting for stupid stuff like this ...

rearnakedchoke
08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
wait a sec ... so CSAC finds Barnett positive and now won't let Diaz fight? I think Dana's Fertitta buddies are using their mafia tactics and getting the CSAC to sabotage any rival promotions ... LOL .. let the conspiracy theories begin ...

VCURamFan
08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Can someone explain this to me? :huh:LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_215_(1996))

Basically says that if you've got a medical condition (e.g. glaucoma) for which marijauna is an "acceptable" treatment, you may use it as long as you've got a doctor's prescription.

It allows for pot vending machines. You take your prescription to a drug store (pun intended), show it to the pharmacist, & he gives you a card (like a hotel key). You take it outside & put it in the vending machine, and then you can pick from a variety of different strains of marijauna, up to the limit prescribed by your doc.

It also allows citizens to grow their own marijauna. Again, as long as you've got a prescription from your doc, you can have a nice little Mary Jane garden in your backyard.

VCURamFan
08-11-2009, 01:33 PM
wait a sec ... so CSAC finds Barnett positive and now won't let Diaz fight? I think Dana's Fertitta buddies are using their mafia tactics and getting the CSAC to sabotage any rival promotions ... LOL .. let the conspiracy theories begin ...Hahaha. Next they're going to tell us that the CSAC won't license Gina because of her "lewd display" at the last weigh-in!:laugh:

Strikefarce is going down!!!!:punch: :tongue0011:

rearnakedchoke
08-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Hahaha. Next they're going to tell us that the CSAC won't license Gina because of her "lewd display" at the last weigh-in!:laugh:

i hope they cancel that fight .. i don't want my girl to get beat up by that shemale .. please Gina, pull out with an injury ... someone please post some "before" pictures of her as i am afraid of how she will look after the fight ...

Chuck
08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Hahaha. Next they're going to tell us that the CSAC won't license Gina because of her "lewd display" at the last weigh-in!:laugh:

Pics?
Links?
Description?

:D

rearnakedchoke
08-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Pics?
Links?
Description?

:D
yeah, that was the funniest thing i have ever seen ... no one can tell me that athletic commisions aren't corrupt ... she was like 3 or 4 lbs over the limit, she removed her sports bra and bottom's and was all of a sudden on weight .. LOL ...

MattHughesRocks
08-11-2009, 02:05 PM
And from what I can tell in Nor Cal those cards are real easy to get :laugh:

LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_215_(1996))

Basically says that if you've got a medical condition (e.g. glaucoma) for which marijauna is an "acceptable" treatment, you may use it as long as you've got a doctor's prescription.

It allows for pot vending machines. You take your prescription to a drug store (pun intended), show it to the pharmacist, & he gives you a card (like a hotel key). You take it outside & put it in the vending machine, and then you can pick from a variety of different strains of marijauna, up to the limit prescribed by your doc.

It also allows citizens to grow their own marijauna. Again, as long as you've got a prescription from your doc, you can have a nice little Mary Jane garden in your backyard.

VCURamFan
08-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Pics?
Links?
Description?

:DNow Chuck, you know the new rules: I couldn't possibly post such inappropriate pictures here on Matt's site, it's a public family establishment!!

That being said, PMs, by definition, aren't public. :wink: :laugh:

County Mike
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Now Chuck, you know the new rules: I couldn't possibly post such inappropriate pictures here on Matt's site, it's a public family establishment!!

That being said, PMs, by definition, aren't public. :wink: :laugh:

Me too, please.

VCURamFan
08-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Me too, please.Hahaha, shoulda known!!:laugh:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Sounds to me like he may stay Stoned most the time! My suspicion is that the Medical MJ thing is used mostly as an excuse for potheads to legally get stoned.

Neezar
08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
I wish they would leave poor Nicky alone.

County Mike
08-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm not a fan of the weed but it's not performance enhancing so I don't really care if he smokes it or not. I do like watching him fight with his crazy boxing style. I can't understand how it works, but it does.

Maldonado136
08-12-2009, 08:53 PM
LOL ... hyperactivity disorder so he needs weed ... what a lame excuse ... there are plenty of other drugs that his physician could prescribe him ... this idiot should be banned from fighting for stupid stuff like this ...

its just pot dude chill out.

Crisco
08-12-2009, 09:27 PM
its just pot dude chill out.

lol :funny:

Crisco
08-12-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm not a fan of the weed but it's not performance enhancing so I don't really care if he smokes it or not. I do like watching him fight with his crazy boxing style. I can't understand how it works, but it does.

I hope him and Robbie fight again. I want to watch Robbie take his head off.

logrus
08-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Me too, please.

When you get them send em my way...

Tyburn
08-12-2009, 11:34 PM
it sounds like its six of one and half a douzen of the other to me :scared0011:

jasonmma
08-13-2009, 02:06 AM
It also allows citizens to grow their own marijauna. Again, as long as you've got a prescription from your doc, you can have a nice little Mary Jane garden in your backyard.[/QUOTE]

they are actually allowed to grow up to 99 plants but no more than that. i used to travel and do construction, and one of the guys on our crew had a brother who had a prescription and they always went and seen him :Whistle:

MattHughesRocks
08-13-2009, 02:24 AM
I agree,who cares what these guys do when theyre not "at work" if it's not a performance enhancing drug. I guess because it's illegal that's the problem?

County Mike
08-13-2009, 11:18 AM
When you get them send em my way...

No luck. All I got was a link to the video where they hold up towels. Searched the interweb and found no Gina boobies. :(

VCURamFan
08-13-2009, 05:05 PM
No luck. All I got was a link to the video where they hold up towels. Searched the interweb and found no Gina boobies. :(The closest you get is when the towel drops, but she was smart enough to already be covering herself with her hands. There are some GIFs that show that moment & slow-mo it, but that's as far as it goes.

County Mike
08-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Diaz was smart to skip the drug test. By skipping, he misses this fight. If he went and failed, he would have been suspended for at least 6 months and missed future fights. Now he can clear out his system and try to fight again in a month.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Although it would be better if he would just lay off the weed! On a side note wouldn't pot keep him calm and deaden the pain when he gets hit? Either way I ain't sure it's good for the sport for a fighter to have illegal drugs in their system while fighting!

Maldonado136
08-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Although it would be better if he would just lay off the weed! On a side note wouldn't pot keep him calm and deaden the pain when he gets hit? Either way I ain't sure it's good for the sport for a fighter to have illegal drugs in their system while fighting!

this is pretty much a myth. it doesnt make you invulnerable to pain lol

County Mike
08-13-2009, 08:20 PM
and it's not illegal (at least in his case). He has a prescription.

I'm not a pot smoker, but I don't care if he smokes it. Let him fight stoned for all I care. Could be entertaining.

VCURamFan
08-13-2009, 08:33 PM

I'm not a pot smoker, but I don't care if he smokes it. Let him fight stoned for all I care. Could be entertaining.It was entertaining. He finished with a Gogoplata, remember?:laugh:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-14-2009, 07:20 AM

I'm not a pot smoker, but I don't care if he smokes it. Let him fight stoned for all I care. Could be entertaining.

He should know the rules and follow them!

Neezar
08-14-2009, 01:02 PM
He should know the rules and follow them!

He was.

On Monday, Diaz’s manager, Cesar Gracie, said his fighter had an informal agreement with former CSAC executive officer Armando Garcia that precluded random drug testing. Diaz, a resident of Stockton, Calif., currently holds a medical marijuana license under the state’s Compassionate Use Act of 1996 and Medical Marijuana Program Act. Garcia departed the agency last November.

“They changed it without any notification,” said Gracie. “No one had any time. The old guys were doing things based off of California law, and I knew California law didn’t change. He’s licensed... it’s legal. They’re own legal team came out with a ruling that said (compassionate use was allowed). Then all of a sudden they’re saying we’re doing drug tests, and cannabis is included, it’s not just performance enhancers. To flush it out of his system, it takes 10 days, and we don’t have that.”

He has been honest and upfront about it.

Chuck
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Compassionate use?? right...

Diaz has a drug problem and needs help.. but the US is getting more and more weed friendly so people just over look it.

VCURamFan
08-14-2009, 03:17 PM
To be perfectly honest, I think that weed should be just as legal as cigarettes. They're both addictive drugs with medical side-effects. If we're willing to let people give themselves cancer, why can't we let them shrink their sperm-count while they're at it?

Chuck
08-14-2009, 03:22 PM
To be perfectly honest, I think that weed should be just as legal as cigarettes. They're both addictive drugs with medical side-effects. If we're willing to let people give themselves cancer, why can't we let them shrink their sperm-count while they're at it?

I think that's a really bad comparison bro.... BUT I don't want to derail this thread into a "legalizing weed" convo... we've had those on here before... it got ugly.... untill the stoners got so frustrated they had to smoke a bowl and run to Taco Bell... then things calmed down.....

If you're really bored and care to know my thoughts... I'd be happy to PM/FB/email them to you..:wink:

VCURamFan
08-14-2009, 03:25 PM
I think that's a really bad comparison bro.... BUT I don't want to derail this thread into a "legalizing weed" convo... we've had those on here before... it got ugly.... untill the stoners got so frustrated they had to smoke a bowl and run to Taco Bell... then things calmed down.....

If you're really bored and care to know my thoughts... I'd be happy to PM/FB/email them to you..:wink:Yeah, sure, why not. I mean if they're it's too long & boring, I'll just do what I do with Dave: skim along & pick out about 2 words per paragraph, then jam them all together & assume the resulting paragraph is a suitable summation of his post.:laugh:

The scary thing is that my sentence is usually more readable than his are!:ninja: