PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hughes vs Anderson @ 185?

Country_breakfast
08-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Who do you think would win?

personally I can see Matt out-wrestling Silva for the decision win or maybe even getting some brutal GNP in and ending the fight with a slick sub.

Chuck
08-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Who do you think would win?

personally I can see Matt out-wrestling Silva for the decision win or maybe even getting some brutal GNP in and ending the fight with a slick sub.

On paper I think it's a bad match for Matt however he has always maintained that he see's some areas he can exploit in Anderson's game. I would have no reason to doubt that so it would no doubt be a close match.

Vizion
08-10-2009, 12:11 AM
If Matt could get him to the ground I think it would be a very good possibility. But AS has some naaasssty striking...so I don't know. Yet, Travis Lutter took AS down so I believe Matt could as well.

I'd rather see GSP be defeated by AS than Matt, plus I think DW has talked about that as a possible fight down the road.

MattHughesRocks
08-10-2009, 02:11 AM
I'd love to see good V evil. Silva is Satan as far as I'm concerned :angry:

rearnakedchoke
08-10-2009, 02:47 AM
i honestly don't think there is anyone that can beat silva at 185 or 205 let alone 170 .... a silva is a BEAST

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Depends on how Matt feels at 185!

Blmfighter
08-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I would like to see Matt win however I think this is a bad match up for him. If he can get the take down he could win. If not I think Anderson might put him to sleep like everyone else.

que
08-10-2009, 07:55 PM
matt has shown trouble with bigger guys in his last two losses and silva is even much bigger than them... walks around at 225, is very tall and has a huge reach. as a hughes fan i don't want to see this fight. weight classes are made for a reason and every champ has their own weight class. anderson is just such a huge MW that he can perform at LHW too, he is a rare instance of a fighter who is stuck in the middle and can do both. with that said it's up to matt and i will respect his decision if he decides to fight anderson. i have the upmost respect for fighters who like to challenge themselves and move up in weight classes

Twinsmama
08-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Is is time to bring in Mark? Hasn't Matt said Mark was the one people fear? I'm not scared I'd roll with him:ashamed:

Country_breakfast
08-10-2009, 09:30 PM
i honestly don't think there is anyone that can beat silva at 185 or 205 let alone 170 .... a silva is a BEAST

if ANYONE can, it would be Matt. Remember:

"Ones courage can overcome the greatest of obstacles if one accepts Jesus and the Lord as thy saviour " Matthew 44:20

Chuck
08-10-2009, 10:15 PM
if ANYONE can, it would be Matt. Remember:

"Ones courage can overcome the greatest of obstacles if one accepts Jesus and the Lord as thy saviour " Matthew 44:20

And what if Anderson is saved as well?? :ninja:

cheachea
08-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I'll tell you this much, Matt is a strong dude and I believe he could ground and pound Silva if he can get past Silva's striking. The tricky part is getting past the stikes. With speed, strength and most of all the Lord Matt could win.:punch:

MattHughesRocks
08-11-2009, 02:36 AM
He's not.He's Satan.Has to be.

:devil:

MattHughesRocks
08-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Wow Chuck...your sig.You got screwed :laugh:

Chuck
08-11-2009, 04:14 AM
Wow Chuck...your sig.You got screwed :laugh:

LOL... it's not too bad! I don't hate BJ..... actually I do... but it's a love/hate relationship.....

love to watch him fight....
hate what comes out of his mouth and hate watching him waste his talent...

I've always been cool to Que when I won the sig bets so he's showing some class back...

it could be much worse. :ninja:

VCURamFan
08-11-2009, 01:36 PM
LOL... it's not too bad! I don't hate BJ..... actually I do... but it's a love/hate relationship.....

love to watch him fight....
hate what comes out of his mouth and hate watching him waste his talent...

I've always been cool to Que when I won the sig bets so he's showing some class back...

it could be much worse. :ninja:I kinda wanted to see what he'd give you, and this is certainly a lot tamer than I expected. que, I gotta be honest, I'm a little disappointed in you.:laugh:

Chuck
08-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I kinda wanted to see what he'd give you, and this is certainly a lot tamer than I expected. que, I gotta be honest, I'm a little disappointed in you.:laugh:
HUSH!!:angry:

don't tempt him! :laugh:

VCURamFan
08-11-2009, 02:33 PM
HUSH!!:angry:

don't tempt him! :laugh:Chuck, I'm not tempting him. I'm goading him!!!:tongue0011:

Mike1983
08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I definitely think Matt could take Silva...if he could get him down on the ground. Anderson Silva is definitely one of the deadliest strikers I've seen since getting into MMA. I think if Matt watches out for those heavy hands and knees his wrestling would be the end of Silva for sure IMHO.

maxumII
08-11-2009, 05:06 PM
I definitely think Matt could take Silva...if he could get him down on the ground. Anderson Silva is definitely one of the deadliest strikers I've seen since getting into MMA. I think if Matt watches out for those heavy hands and knees his wrestling would be the end of Silva for sure IMHO.

So how do you compare Silvas ground game to Serras?

Mike1983
08-11-2009, 08:20 PM
So how do you compare Silvas ground game to Serras?

As much as I can't stand Serra...and believe I can't lol....Not just because of his feud with Matt, but just his attitude in general.....I have to say that he has a pretty good ground game when it comes to BJJ. He has a lot of great submissions. Problem is he just couldn't handle the strength of Hughes and his wrestling ability in order to get Hughes in those submissions. Just my opinion.

Question...has anyone ever noticed how much Serra LOVES the omoplata??

maxumII
08-11-2009, 08:27 PM
As much as I can't stand Serra...and believe I can't lol....Not just because of his feud with Matt, but just his attitude in general.....I have to say that he has a pretty good ground game when it comes to BJJ. He has a lot of great submissions. Problem is he just couldn't handle the strength of Hughes and his wrestling ability in order to get Hughes in those submissions. Just my opinion.

Question...has anyone ever noticed how much Serra LOVES the omoplata??

I guess what concerns me with this match up, is that Matt couldn't finish Serra. How would he finish Silva? His ground game is good as well.

Country_breakfast
08-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I guess what concerns me with this match up, is that Matt couldn't finish Serra. How would he finish Silva? His ground game is good as well.

Remeber Matt was the first person to finish BJ Penn who has some of the best BJJ in al of MMA,

I honestly believe God is on Matt's side & thats what will make the difference in this fight.

NateR
08-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Well, Matt said that Serra's strategy was simply to tie him up on the ground and force the ref to stand them up, where I assume Serra was hoping for another big finish like he had in his first fight against GSP.

Chuck
08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Remeber Matt was the first person to finish BJ Penn who has some of the best BJJ in al of MMA,

I honestly believe God is on Matt's side & thats what will make the difference in this fight.

So what happens when Matt fights another Christian???

I personally don't think God cares about Matt winning or losing.... God's ultimate will (I believe) is that He would be glorified... if that can be accomplished through Matt winning then great... if that's accomplished through Matt losing.. I'm pretty sure God is ok with that too.. ;)

Crisco
08-12-2009, 06:03 PM

I personally don't think God cares about Matt winning or losing.... God's ultimate will (I believe) is that He would be glorified... if that can be accomplished through Matt winning then great... if that's accomplished through Matt losing.. I'm pretty sure God is ok with that too.. ;)

I think he ment the God's of wrestling :unsure: :laugh: :laugh: :tongue0011:

TENNESSEAN
08-12-2009, 06:31 PM
I think he ment the God's of wrestling :unsure: :laugh: :laugh: :tongue0011:
no that would be Matt himself:laugh:

NateR
08-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Well, then GOD would be on the side of whoever put the most money in the offering plate the previous Sunday. :laugh:

Actually I agree, GOD's will extends way beyond mere winning and losing streaks. However, that doesn't mean that GOD doesn't care about the outcome.

Compare it to one of your children competing in a sport. Obviously, you are going to love them no matter how well they do in the game (at least we all hope so); but does that mean that you aren't rooting for them to win? Of course not!

I believe that, in a similar way, GOD wants to see us do well in the things that we love; but sometimes He just sees more of an opportunity for growth through failure rather than success.

maxumII
08-12-2009, 07:21 PM

I prefer to use Royce as an example. Who he truely beat at his own game. BJ either gassed out or "seperated a rib" and was not defending himself at all.

Either way, I don't see this fight ever happening.

Chuck
08-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Well, then GOD would be on the side of whoever put the most money in the offering plate the previous Sunday. :laugh:

Actually I agree, GOD's will extends way beyond mere winning and losing streaks. However, that doesn't mean that GOD doesn't care about the outcome.

Compare it to one of your children competing in a sport. Obviously, you are going to love them no matter how well they do in the game (at least we all hope so); but does that mean that you aren't rooting for them to win? Of course not!

I believe that, in a similar way, GOD wants to see us do well in the things that we love; but sometimes He just sees more of an opportunity for growth through failure rather than success.

LOL! :laugh: I didn't know you were Baptist!! :wink:

I'm with ya on this one Nate... but think about folks like Archie Manning... when his two sons play against each other in the NFL who does he cheer for? Neither... I would like to think that a Christian might have an advantage over a non-Christian in a sporting contest... but I really don't think God cares :wink:

Tyburn
08-16-2009, 10:05 PM
There are plenty.

Georges Saint Pierre at 170
Matt Hughes at 170
Dan Henderson at 205
Lyoto Machida at 205

and all of the above at 185 :rolleyes:

(oh and BJ Penn...because he can beat anyone....oh and Fedor, because he can beat anyone too)

:laugh:

Other then them...you are correct :happydancing:

Tyburn
08-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Anderson Silva is Roman Catholic.
Georges Saint Pierre is Roman Catholic also

I think even Spencer Fisher is Roman Catholic :laugh:

of course half the people on this site would say Roman Catholics arent saved :unsure-1: :ninja:

Tyburn
08-16-2009, 10:22 PM

I think that GOD always wants what is best for the person, that equates to what is best for Him. Therefore Win, Loooose or Draw, the outcome is always what GOD wishes for except for in certain circumstances which I shall go on to explain.

We may consider a loss bad...but GOD sees a bigger picture. If a loss now, means growth which is vital for the person, then GOD will not be comprimised by his representative falling.

I strongly believe it is wrong to pray for Victory. GOD is not a lucky charm, and he will not make you win something on the count of you simply being a Christian. You simply have to trust that he knows best. You CAN however pray that GOD send or shower certain gifts to aid a fighter. For example, you can pray that GOD give the fighter strength to withstand indurance, Peace to train to the best of their ability, that he surround them with competant teachers and other Christians. You may also ask that GOD send his Holy Angels to protect a Fighter from terrible harm. We forget that everytime any Fighter goes into a fight, they potentially risk death....and there are stories where for example, cars have been in accidents, and the drivers report hitting something they assumed was the other car, to find they have hit nothing...or rather what they hit avoided a major accident, and they have put it down to Angelic Host. We also know that Angels can be delayed by Demons, so...really..you should be praying to GOD a few days in advance to give the Host chance to get to the right place for the fight....it was no use for example, me uttering a prayer to GOD to send Michael to help Jens Pulver in round three of his first contendership against Urijah Faber, because by the time Michael arrived, Jens would be in the post fight press conference....you laugh...but its biblical that they can be delayed :laugh:

Now for the exceptions. Almost always, when a Christian Fails he grows in some way. There are possibly times in which GOD uses physical violence as a tool of Justice. I think that Randy Couture might occasionally have been punished by GOD in this method. If you look at his life, both personal and professional...and you look at his career sinse Sylvia...you see someone whose been disciplined I reckon. The problem is, you never know which bad circumstances are for the better of the Christian, and which are a spanking for being naughty. The moral of the tale is that Justice is always served

Nil Inultam Remanebit

hughesfan
10-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Silva has fought as high as 205, Hughes has never fought above 170. Not a good fight for Matt.

NateR
10-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Silva has fought as high as 205, Hughes has never fought above 170. Not a good fight for Matt.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about, Matt fought Royce Gracie at 175, and he has fought guys in Japan who would have been light heavyweights in the UFC. Not to mention that he regularly dominates heavyweight fighters in the gym, including tapping out Brock Lesnar.

For someone who claims to be a "hughes fan", you're pretty ignorant of Matt's record. You should probably do some research before making a fool of yourself on an internet forum again.

hughesfan
10-01-2009, 09:14 PM
You clearly don't know what you are talking about, Matt fought Royce Gracie at 175, and he has fought guys in Japan who would have been light heavyweights in the UFC. Not to mention that he regularly dominates heavyweight fighters in the gym, including tapping out Brock Lesnar.

For someone who claims to be a "hughes fan", you're pretty ignorant of Matt's record. You should probably do some research before making a fool of yourself on an internet forum again.

He still wouldn't have a chance against Silva. Silva bigger, stronger and light-years ahead in striking. Silva has also beat better wrestlers then Hughes like Henderson. The fool would be the one thinking Hughes has a chance against Silva.

NateR
10-01-2009, 09:18 PM
He still wouldn't have a chance against Silva. Silva bigger, stronger and light-years ahead in striking. Silva has also beat better wrestlers then Hughes like Henderson. The fool would be the one thinking Hughes has a chance against Silva.

Thank you, you've given me all the information I needed. You had a chance to backpeddle and prove that you truly are a Matt Hughes fan, but clearly you are just a liar. Good-bye.

TexasRN
10-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Thank you, you've given me all the information I needed. You had a chance to backpeddle and prove that you truly are a Matt Hughes fan, but clearly you are just a liar. Good-bye.

:happydancing:

~Amy

Crisco
10-01-2009, 09:50 PM
pwned

VCURamFan
10-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Matt agrees!
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/Bling_Dogg01/MattHughes-IloveIt.gif

que
10-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I kinda wanted to see what he'd give you, and this is certainly a lot tamer than I expected. que, I gotta be honest, I'm a little disappointed in you.:laugh:

haha, i just saw this post.

the longer i am here the softer i get. sorry to disappoint :(

VCURamFan
10-01-2009, 10:47 PM
haha, i just saw this post.

the longer i am here the softer i get. sorry to disappoint :(
Haha, it's straight.

Liddellfan
10-02-2009, 02:56 AM

If you watched the Hughes / Serra fight, you would not even made that statement about not finishing Serra. Early in the first round, Matt was hit with a headbut AND immediately after, several punches to the back of the head. When the round was over, he asked his corner if he got knocked down. He wasn't himself after those illegal strikes. He hung in there was taking Serra down and winning the fight. That shows his will to win and he has shown through his career, he can fight through anything.....I think Matt has a good chance against Silva.:punch:

Buzzard
10-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, wonder why my post was deleted? I was sure that I hit the submit reply button. If it wasn't, then my apologies. If it was, I'd appreciate a PM to let me know what was wrong with it.

TexasRN
10-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Hmmm, wonder why my post was deleted? I was sure that I hit the submit reply button. If it wasn't, then my apologies. If it was, I'd appreciate a PM to let me know what was wrong with it.

Which post are you referring to?

~Amy

Buzzard
10-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Which post are you referring to?

~Amy

I made a post in regard to hughesfan being banned because he stated that he felt Kos, Alves and Silva would lose to Matt. I saw no disrespect there. Are honest opinions not allowed if they don't favor a win by Matt?

The final straw according to NateR:

Wow is all I can say. I think Matt is a big enough boy to be able to handle someone saying that he doesn't think Matt could handle Silva. How is the kid a liar?

TexasRN
10-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I made a post in regard to hughesfan being banned because he stated that he felt Kos, Alves and Silva would lose to Matt. I saw no disrespect there. Are honest opinions not allowed if they don't favor a win by Matt?

Wow is all I can say. I think Matt is a big enough boy to be able to handle someone saying that he doesn't think Matt could handle Silva. How is the kid a liar?

Check the Kos vs Matt thread where you posted it. It's still there.

~Amy

TexasRN
10-02-2009, 09:56 PM
And just for the record, honest opinions are welcome here. Disrespect to Matt is not. Meaning if every post you make is negative about Matt or his family, you will not be be sticking around very long. Coming to a fan forum and ONLY posting comments about Matt losing is disrespectful.

~Amy

NateR
10-02-2009, 11:29 PM

I'm seeing no deleted post notifications so your post must not have gone through. Did you check the other thread?

NateR
10-02-2009, 11:37 PM

Well, after three years of moderating this forum, we've learned to recognize trolls early on. People come to this forum to show support for Matt, first and foremost. When this guy's first few posts were simply predicting that Matt would lose, then it's pretty easy to identify him as a troll.

If we allow the trolls to voice their anti-Matt opinions then they will run rampant on the forums, drive away all the true fans, then we will end up with a forum full of Matt Hughes haters attached to the front page of Matt's website. How do I know this? Because that was what happened three years ago just before I took over. Danelle, Amy and Jeff can attest to this.

Again, Matt pays for this site as a place for his fans to meet. Non-fans are welcome to post as long as they stay respectful. If not then they have no business being here. If they don't like it, too bad, they're not the ones paying the bills.

I called him a liar because he is clearly not a "hughesfan" based on his comments.

Buzzard
10-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Check the Kos vs Matt thread where you posted it. It's still there.

~Amy

Doh! Thanks and my apologies. See, I can and do acknowledge and try to atone for my many mistakes.:)

Bonnie
10-03-2009, 12:12 AM
What do people expect, really? Would you go to Matt Hughes' home and disrespect him? What do you think he would do? :wink:

This is no different. Like Nathan said, Matt pays the bills here and we are his guests while we are here. Be respectful! :cool:

TexasRN
10-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Ahhh, the good old days.....reminiscing on a Friday night. This board would not exist today if NateR hadn't been willing to step up and take it over. I'd have never met Matt or any of the forum folks who went to Vegas for the Serra fight. This is a good place. I intend to help keep it that way as long as Matt lets me.

~Amy

TexasRN
10-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Doh! Thanks and my apologies. See, I can and do acknowledge and try to atone for my many mistakes.:)

:laugh: See. You can just imagine how hard it is to get banned when you and Chris F are still here. :tongue0011:

~Amy

Jonlion
10-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I would have to say that i think Anderson would take it, too big, strong, lightening hands and solid groud game. Although Lutter got him to the ground, he couldnt finish it. Hendo dominated for 1 round but the damage he inflicted was minimal.

I think Matt could take him down and do some nasty Ground and pound, he could pull it off but AS i think would take it.

This fight shoulda happened many years ago when Matt was a champion, I think then Hughes would of won for sure.

As for God getting involved, well anything he wills would happen. However I'm not sure he'd lend a hand here, and more so it goes both ways. Perhaps the christian wins because it makes us exalt the Lord and give praise to him. What if God makes the christian lose though to dash our pride?

For me, a remarkable thing I have learnt about the Lord is that his love transcends so many things. To see this just go Luke 1:5

So..........there was priest Zechariah, a man who was righteous, walked blamlessly in all the commandments and statues. So this guy loves God a great deal, but his wife is barren, so he had no child. So we are all agreed this guy is pretty Godly and God delivers him a angel to tell him that his prayers have been heard and he shall have a son and he should call it John.

Zechariah then questions it "How shall i know this", showing him doubting the Lord in believing that God would give him a son. What does the Angel do, makes him silent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only does that show God's justice but moreover his love for us, the angel stopped Zechariah from uttering another word and therefore insulting God. Thats actually a beautiful act by God huh? Stopping you from sinning with something we might perhaps look at as being treated unfairly or harshly. Thats his love.

bj44
10-03-2009, 03:43 PM
theres a reason theres weight classes...... Honestly matt would need to win a couple fights at 185 before getting a shot at anderson. yeah Bj and Randy got unjustifiable title shots at ww and hw but those guys were also former champions of those weight classes thats the difference...

NateR
10-03-2009, 04:34 PM
theres a reason theres weight classes...... Honestly matt would need to win a couple fights at 185 before getting a shot at anderson. yeah Bj and Randy got unjustifiable title shots at ww and hw but those guys were also former champions of those weight classes thats the difference...

BJ was not a former WW champion when he first fought Matt at UFC 46. In fact, he couldn't even win the UFC LW title before that.

bj44
10-03-2009, 04:49 PM
BJ was not a former WW champion when he first fought Matt at UFC 46. In fact, he couldn't even win the UFC LW title before that.

yeah well if the ufc completely dispands the ww weight class like they did the lw weight class back then maybe they can justifly giving matt a title shot at mw.... plus that was a different era, who else was there for matt to fight then...theres 3-4 guys lined up to figh anderson silva right now.... The fight just doesnt make sense to me....

J.B.
10-04-2009, 07:24 PM
On paper I think it's a bad match for Matt however he has always maintained that he see's some areas he can exploit in Anderson's game. I would have no reason to doubt that so it would no doubt be a close match.

Agreed.

While it appears to be a daunting task for ANYBODY to handle Silva right now, I think Matt could do it.

Buzzard
10-05-2009, 03:49 AM
What do people expect, really? Would you go to Matt Hughes' home and disrespect him? What do you think he would do? :wink:

This is no different. Like Nathan said, Matt pays the bills here and we are his guests while we are here. Be respectful! :cool:

If I were ever invited to Matt's house and the question arose if I thought so and so could beat Matt, I would answer truthfully and honestly in my opinion whether I thought so and so would win or Matt.

I agree with being respectful. I didn't see the banned guy as being disrespectful. Maybe I've been around my friends and union co-workers for so long that I have a tolerance built up for some things. Show weakness with them and they will tear you apart. Stand up to them and be fair and it earns their respect. I've been thrown into tough situations and have always come out of it mostly unscathed. At least I never had my gear and radio taken and frozen in a pail of water.

Chuck
10-05-2009, 04:22 AM
If I were ever invited to Matt's house and the question arose if I thought so and so could beat Matt, I would answer truthfully and honestly in my opinion whether I thought so and so would win or Matt.

I agree with being respectful. I didn't see the banned guy as being disrespectful. Maybe I've been around my friends and union co-workers for so long that I have a tolerance built up for some things. Show weakness with them and they will tear you apart. Stand up to them and be fair and it earns their respect. I've been thrown into tough situations and have always come out of it mostly unscathed. At least I never had my gear and radio taken and frozen in a pail of water.

LOL!!! Been there, done that. Only it wasn't a radio it was a pair of shoes I froze. :wink:

On a serious note... what if I was a new guy on your jobsite and did nothing but bad mouth the unions my first day on the job. Every word out of my mouth was anti union? Would you think I was a fan of the union?

A few years ago I would have been the first one to come down on Nate or the Mod's for banning someone (trust me, or ask them :D) but over the years on this board I've learned that if it looks like a troll, acts like a troll and posts like a troll... it's probably a troll.

Could they have given the guy another chance? Sure. Would it have changed anything? I doubt it.

Before you think they're too harsh look at the fact that you and ChrisF are still here. And I'm not trying to be mean I'm just using the most logical example. You can be rude, mean, insulting, be mean to Nate or the Mod's and STILL be allowed to post here. That's because it's not their forum and it's not our forum. It's Matt's. They are pretty consistent with that rule. Trash Matt and you probably wont' be around for long. Be respectful and EARN some respect before posting the negative Matt posts and you should be fine.

Personally I don't think Matt would beat Anderson. I would want him to and I would hope he does. But I don't think so. It's my opinion and I can share that without fear of being banned because I've earned (I think) the respect of Nate and the Mod's. Now if all of my posts or the majority of them were about how Matt can't do this or can't beat this guy. We'd have a problem. :D

flo
10-05-2009, 04:29 AM
If Matt could get him to the ground I think it would be a very good possibility. But AS has some naaasssty striking...so I don't know. Yet, Travis Lutter took AS down so I believe Matt could as well.

I'd rather see GSP be defeated by AS than Matt, plus I think DW has talked about that as a possible fight down the road.

Word on all points! Travis was very close, closer than anyone else, who knows how it might have gone had he made weight...

flo
10-05-2009, 04:31 AM
I dunno though, I'd rather see Matt kick GSP's behind. That's my dream fight.

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM

this is Matts property, because he pays for it :ninja:

You know, I dont advocate avoiding difficult issues in the face to face meetings i've had with some fighters. I did correct Pulver about Penn over dinner, I would have confronted Madson in an interview, and I didnt skirt round certain issues ive had with certain people at the HIT Squad in person.

But, I am tactically able to do this because I watch my language and I watch my tone. You make it about the issue and not the person. But the vast majority of posters on all these forums would either get themselves killed, or not dare to speak at all.

The difference between Matt and most other fighters is that he wouldnt need your support, and he wouldnt need your approval. He has enough self confidence to basically ignore haters, something the vast majority of Fighters cant do. A lot of people seem to be of the mind that they are an authority on mixed martials arts when half of them dont train, and the other half dont go to any regular events. What they have is an opinion, and frankly despite what they say its not usually based on loyalty or fanship.

its about supporting, and eventually going down like a captain with his ship sometimes. Look at the people who claim to support Rich Franklin and abandoned him the moment they heard he was fighting Vitor Belfort? Did he win? As it happens, no he did not, but there are some who can say we stood by him to the last...and some who deserted him because they didnt believe in His abilities. Now you could commend those people who flocked from one to the other, claiming they had better knowledge, claiming they were right and won, but noone has prior knowledge, their basis for moving was all about probability, at the end of the day they couldnt put their money where their mouth had been, when push came to shove, they actually werent confident in Rich Franklin after all.

I'd rather by Loyal and end up wrong, then be fickle and always be right. Some of us care about the man behind the fighter...because Fighters are short lived, they have perhaps 10 or 20 years at best...but the person has a whole lifetime. Believe me, I've spent time talking to those Fighters who believe they are facing the death of their Careers. These Athletes face death twice. Once when they physically die, and once when they are basically forced against their will because of biology into retirement.

Its Frustrating for them because there is nothing wrong with their minds, its just their bodies have past the point of being useful to an athlete. The endless injuries caused for our personal enjoyments begin to catch up, the guys actually get tiered, its the unwinnable war.

So, for those fickle fans, when the time comes for some fighter to leave centre stage they get discarded. Ultimately, that is the path that those without Loyalty end up following, at the end of the day they do the athlete a great dis-service....and those who are going to be like that vs Matt Hughes dont really deserve to be wasting his bandwidth at his own personal cost, now do they?

So the moral of the tale is have belief in your fighters and be Loyal
OR
Make sure you can respectifully dissagree
OR
STFU

...and the Moderators will be the Judges and Refs in such case, you may claim its a bad call, but whine about it is as far as you can go

:)

Buc Nasty
10-05-2009, 12:40 PM
I dont advocate avoiding difficult issues in the face to face meetings i've had with some fighters. I did correct Pulver about Penn over dinner

Tell us more!

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Tell us more!

Jens got on to talking about training other fighters at one point over dinner, and he said that they should do as he says but not always do as he does. He bought up BJ Penn as an example and he made out how he was lucky to have won the first match because BJ Penn was a better fighter then him

I butted in and said that was a matter of opinion and not fact, one I didnt share nor held to

So Jens then retorted that Penn had really good skills

once again I cut him off and told him that sure Penn on the basis of pure skill was better then almost any fighter in the world now, and thus far in MMA History, but I told him that you have to take the fighter wholistically as a person also. The other people at the table aggreed with me :laugh:

I explained how he was one of only two fighters who had reached a level in MMA where beating them would have a NEGATIVE impact on the winner. You cant beat Jens Pulver or Randy Couture and gain fans anymore, it would be far better for you on a publicity basis if you lost to them :laugh:

I said I didnt understand the reason behind that with Couture, but with Himself it was about Character and what he had been through and how people could relate and identify with him because he was not afraid to tell people he had doubts and fears.

He said he thought that it was Randys age that was the reason behind his popularity

...and then the conversation moved on :)

:ninja:I will not have it said in my Presence that Penn trumps Pulver, not even by Jens himself :ninja:

Buc Nasty
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Cool story!

rearnakedchoke
10-05-2009, 01:56 PM
There are plenty.

Georges Saint Pierre at 170
Matt Hughes at 170
Dan Henderson at 205
Lyoto Machida at 205

and all of the above at 185 :rolleyes:

(oh and BJ Penn...because he can beat anyone....oh and Fedor, because he can beat anyone too)

Other then them...you are correct :happydancing:

I would love to see GSP beat anderson, but at this stage of his career he may still need some size
matt is strong so he could take down anderson and keep him there ..
dan henderson had his chance and this will end up the same way as the last fight and anderson would beat lyoto ..

bj penn hasn't beat GSP nor lyoto machida and i am sure there are others that he can't beat .. fedor, well he is a juggernaut ...

Llamafighter
10-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Jens got on to talking about training other fighters at one point over dinner, and he said that they should do as he says but not always do as he does. He bought up BJ Penn as an example and he made out how he was lucky to have won the first match because BJ Penn was a better fighter then him

I butted in and said that was a matter of opinion and not fact, one I didnt share nor held to

So Jens then retorted that Penn had really good skills

once again I cut him off and told him that sure Penn on the basis of pure skill was better then almost any fighter in the world now, and thus far in MMA History, but I told him that you have to take the fighter wholistically as a person also. The other people at the table aggreed with me :laugh:

I explained how he was one of only two fighters who had reached a level in MMA where beating them would have a NEGATIVE impact on the winner. You cant beat Jens Pulver or Randy Couture and gain fans anymore, it would be far better for you on a publicity basis if you lost to them :laugh:

I said I didnt understand the reason behind that with Couture, but with Himself it was about Character and what he had been through and how people could relate and identify with him because he was not afraid to tell people he had doubts and fears.

He said he thought that it was Randys age that was the reason behind his popularity

...and then the conversation moved on :)

:ninja:I will not have it said in my Presence that Penn trumps Pulver, not even by Jens himself :ninja:

This conversation was with the budgie wasn't it...:unsure-1:

Spiritwalker
10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I'd love to see good V evil. Silva is Satan as far as I'm concerned :angry:

That's a bit harsh don't you think?

I am not Anderson's biggest fan.. far from it, But "Satan?"

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 03:38 PM
This conversation was with the budgie wasn't it...:unsure-1:

:laugh: No...though Jens did ask after Jens :blink: That was how he proved he knew who I was...because when he first appeared I thought it might be a chance meeting with his friends whom I was sat with...so I said to him "Do you know who I am" and he said "Yes, how is Jens The Budgie?" :w00t: I wasnt sure he'd made the connection between me in person, and the guy who emails him. But he knew who I was hahahaha.

After in the car park he spent a long time saying thankyou for all the stuff that I'd written about him on the forums and in articals and stuff like that. it was a very moving moment. Then I presented him with a paper copy of the joint book review between his autobiography and McKinnons Biographical on him. It was the Highlight of my tour

Llamafighter
10-05-2009, 04:03 PM
:laugh: No...though Jens did ask after Jens :blink: That was how he proved he knew who I was...because when he first appeared I thought it might be a chance meeting with his friends whom I was sat with...so I said to him "Do you know who I am" and he said "Yes, how is Jens The Budgie?" :w00t: I wasnt sure he'd made the connection between me in person, and the guy who emails him. But he knew who I was hahahaha.

After in the car park he spent a long time saying thankyou for all the stuff that I'd written about him on the forums and in articals and stuff like that. it was a very moving moment. Then I presented him with a paper copy of the joint book review between his autobiography and McKinnons Biographical on him. It was the Highlight of my tour

Good for you, Dave! I'm only now catching up on TUF season's past and currently on season 5. I have always respected him as a fighter, but he comes off as a pretty awesome human being on that show. I'm definitely an even bigger fan now.

Tyburn
10-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Good for you, Dave! I'm only now catching up on TUF season's past and currently on season 5. I have always respected him as a fighter, but he comes off as a pretty awesome human being on that show. I'm definitely an even bigger fan now.

:w00t: You know, if I were to meet him again, id have tones of questions and things to talk about, but I watched more then I spoke because I was just like not sure what to do

It all happened so fast. one moment I was calm and had just ordered a cheeseburger with a few friends after the Bible Study group at MFS...the next thing you know Jens was sitting next to me :scared0015:

J.B.
10-05-2009, 05:23 PM
That's a bit harsh don't you think?

I am not Anderson's biggest fan.. far from it, But "Satan?"

Silva desecrated the temple that is Forrest Griffin. That pretty much put him on everybody's "to hate" list.

Llamafighter
10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Silva desecrated the temple that is Forrest Griffin. That pretty much put him on everybody's "to hate" list.

Serves him right for desecrating the temple that is "Shogun"! :laugh:

VCURamFan
10-05-2009, 05:46 PM
If by "everyone" you mean "obsessed-possible-stalker-blonde-women-that-bounce-around-California-like-migrant-workers", then yeah, I thikn that's about right. :Whistle:

J.B.
10-05-2009, 05:49 PM
If by "everyone" you mean "obsessed-possible-stalker-blonde-women-that-bounce-around-California-like-migrant-workers", then yeah, I thikn that's about right. :Whistle:

Well, I was also referring to racist meatheads with overpriced t-shirts and undersized genitals who like to watch UFC at local bars, but I think those two demographics seem to cover the scope. :laugh:

donaldbreland
10-06-2009, 12:59 AM
I thought I read on mmaweekly a while back that A.Silva turned down a fight with Matt Hughes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Liddellfan
10-06-2009, 01:02 AM
I thought I read on mmaweekly a while back that A.Silva turned down a fight with Matt Hughes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think there is an extreme high possibility that you are wrong.

donaldbreland
10-06-2009, 01:06 AM
It was the same time mmaweekly was discussing a bout between vera and couture

donaldbreland
10-06-2009, 01:18 AM
I was wrong. It was on mmafrenzy
here is the link.
http://mmafrenzy.com/11534/randy-couture-vs-brandon-vera-possible-to-headline-ufc-105/

NateR
10-06-2009, 01:38 AM
I was wrong. It was on mmafrenzy
here is the link.
http://mmafrenzy.com/11534/randy-couture-vs-brandon-vera-possible-to-headline-ufc-105/

Matt Hughes had even agreed to move up to middleweight and challenge title-holder Anderson Silva, but Silva would not agree to the bout, according to Inside Fights.

That's a totally false rumor. The UFC has only mentioned one potential opponent for Matt and it wasn't Anderson Silva. This is the problem with many of these smaller MMA websites, sometimes they feel the need to make up stories to get attention and web traffic.

TENNESSEAN
10-06-2009, 01:52 AM
That's a totally false rumor. The UFC has only mentioned one potential opponent for Matt and it wasn't Anderson Silva. This is the problem with many of these smaller MMA websites, sometimes they feel the need to make up stories to get attention and web traffic.

Feel free to pm me the one potential opponents name :Whistle: the suspense is killin me:ninja:

donaldbreland
10-06-2009, 02:42 AM
My dad once told me to believe half the things you hear and half the things you see. Sometimes I still sit here and think about that. I didn't know if it was true or not. I just found it kind of funny.

Miss Foxy
10-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Is is time to bring in Mark? Hasn't Matt said Mark was the one people fear? I'm not scared I'd roll with him:ashamed:
LOL!!! I bet you would!!