PDA

View Full Version : Things that shoot.

Crisco
08-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Is it possible for me to buy a half decent bow for under 400 dollars?

I'm also getting my long gun permit soon. I was wondering if you guys had any advice for my first rifle. Something affordable yet reliable...

You guys are the experts. Teach me :tongue0011:

Rev
08-05-2009, 08:04 PM
If you go to a local Bow shop you can find some good used bows pretty cheap. Bow tech makes a combo model called the "tomcat", you might look into that. Savage makes some AWESOME rifles at low prices.

Mac
08-05-2009, 08:21 PM
If you go to a local Bow shop you can find some good used bows pretty cheap. Bow tech makes a combo model called the "tomcat", you might look into that. Savage makes some AWESOME rifles at low prices.

Rev , Were gonna get along great!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA , your a bowtech guy and you like savage rifles , damn straight buddy!

And yeah crisco like rev said , When buying a bow , save your money and go for the best you can get, sure you can go out and buy a pse for a couple hundred bucks , but it aint gonna be with you in a couple years , where that bowtech isnt going anywhere , they are tough as nails and stand up to anything .

As far as rifles , Again to extend on what Rev said . Saveage and Stevens both make EXCELLENT rifle packages. Stevens is a savage "without the accutrigger" Same rifles only savage has an accutrigger and stevens does not . Both are extrodinary bolt action rifles that are little tack drivers. You can generally pickup brand new package including rifle and 3x9 simmons or bushnell scope for around 300-350 depending on your area , and thats for the stevens , tack on an extra hundred for the Savage with the accutrigger.

Now if that is still a bit out of your price range go for a New England Arms "Handi Rifle" you can get them in any caliber you want for about 250 bucks , brand new outa the box. Good solid rifle , however it is a single shot . Ive owned 2 without any problems whatsoever from either of them.

Same thing with the savage and stevens rifles , that 300-350 range is for any rifle caliber you want , anywere from a 22-250 up to a 300 mag.

As for what caliber , Its a toss up for me , 243 or 223 you decide , both are great calibers , it more depends on what your use for it will be , but i would stick to the 223 or 243.

Crisco
08-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Great advice guys thank a lot. I'll probably look into a bowtech first because I can actually shoot that in my backyard. Will get more fun out of it then the rifle at first I think.

Crisco
08-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I hate living in NJ. Just want to throw that in there.

Mac
08-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Tell ya what crisco . One of the BEST bows Bowtech ever made was the tribute. A fine piece of equipment and i am quite fond of the Alligence. The tribute is a bit more forgiving that the alligence . But both are stone cold killers when it comes right down to it and both are Still some of the best bows ever produced . They stopped production on both models but it is still said the tribute is the best bow they ever built . They can be found on ebay very reasonable . I highly suggest either of the 2.

this one is already set up with a crap load of accesories which are ungodly expensive , just ad arrows.

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-BOWTECH-TRIBUTE-RH-BOW-MODEL-70-OBS-FULLY-LOADED_W0QQitemZ330350046898QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cea65aeb2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Here is an alligiance. It is already equiped with the same 90 dollar Muzzy sero effect rest drop away rest i use "LOVE IT" keep your eye on this one , i bet it doesnt get past 400 bucks . Once you get one , take it into the local bowshop and they can set your draw length to you and help get ya set up hands on .

http://cgi.ebay.com/BowTech-Allegiance-Compound_W0QQitemZ170368045302QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27aaba10f6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Crisco
08-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks alot Mac. I'll definately watch it and will hopefully be able to pick one of soon.

Crisco
08-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Anyone have any cool pics of their guns they would share?

Twinsmama
08-05-2009, 09:07 PM
you are funny!:laugh:

what are you gonna do with a rifle? just shoot at targets or huntin??

Crisco
08-05-2009, 09:12 PM
you are funny!:laugh:

what are you gonna do with a rifle? just shoot at targets or huntin??

Both I think. I don't know if I have the nads to shoot a deer.. I've never tried. I would definately be able to hunt turkey, hogs, birds any of that. I don't think I could kill a bear.. They are just way too awesome to kill.

Rev
08-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Now Mac, I do love BowTech, but my heart belongs to Matthews. Both are Christian owned, both are built great and both are not PSE or Hoyt!!! I have always been a Matthews man but when I shot the Tribute I became a fan of Bowtech and will push them when I get a chance. Dont feel different about me about the Matthews thing, lol. (I shoot the DXT)

Savage is out of the box, the best shooting rifle out. love my acu-trigger. The only other rifle I want is the new X-bolt.

Rev
08-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Crisco, any hits on a bow yet?

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Is it possible for me to buy a half decent bow for under 400 dollars?

I'm also getting my long gun permit soon. I was wondering if you guys had any advice for my first rifle. Something affordable yet reliable...

You guys are the experts. Teach me :tongue0011:
Are you talking about a hunting permit? I hope so cause it sounded like you were saying a permit to own a gun!

Crisco
08-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Are you talking about a hunting permit? I hope so cause it sounded like you were saying a permit to own a gun!

This is New Jersey. Expressing your rights is very difficult here. Getting a long gun permit in this state can take up to 90 days.

and no Rev not yet. Need to do a little saving of the monies. I'll let u know as soon as I have something =)