PDA

View Full Version : Fedor Signs With Strikeforce

Play The Man
08-03-2009, 06:07 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/15713/breaking-news-strikeforce-signs-fedor-emelianenko-to-multi-fight-deal-m-1-to-co-promote.mma

After last week's negotiations with the UFC failed due to co-promoting demands, Fedor Emelianenko has instead signed a multi-fight deal with the UFC's biggest competitor, Strikeforce.

The organization today announced it has signed Emelianenko (30-1) to a multi-fight deal that will have him fight under the Strikeforce banner in events co-headlined M-1 Global. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

No specific date has been determined for his first Strikeforce fight, but Emelianenko will make his promotional debut this fall on Showtime, according to today's announcement.

"I am looking forward to going back to work and fighting at the highest level," Emelianenko stated. "Strikeforce is a top fight promotion that houses some of the greatest fighters in the world. I am prepared to fight any of them."

:sad:

County Mike
08-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Figured he'd end up with Strikeforce. Was the only org left that made sense.

matthughesfan21
08-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I couldn't care less anymore

Llamafighter
08-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Not surprising, but a little disappointing. It's only 3 fights so hopefully they'll bring in some big dogs to face him. I'd love to watch Fedor stomp Overeem.

Irish Pride
08-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I like this Dana quote about M-1 wanting to co-promote:

ďItís like Brett Favre negotiating with one of the football teams and saying, yeah, Iím gonna be your 50-percent partner. Itís like, what?Ē

From: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9277&zoneid=2

Buzzard
08-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing him fight.

Irish Pride
08-03-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm looking forward to him fighting too. Wonder who he's gonna fight?

matthughesfan21
08-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm looking forward to him fighting too. Wonder who he's gonna fight?Brett Rodgers, maybe? hmmm...that should be a thriller:rolleyes:

Preach
08-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Fedor vs The entire weight division

Spiritwalker
08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
I find it hard to belive that Strikeforce can pay him any real cash.. over the UFC wallet at least.. got to be the M1-Global addtion..

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Fedor-signs-with-Strikeforce-will-fight-this-fa?urn=mma,180418

rockdawg21
08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
It's sad to say, unless Fedor comes to the cream of the crop, the UFC and clears out the HW division, he will be forgotten in the history books. Only the most hardcore fans will remember him, which is far from mainstream.

County Mike
08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Fedor will be like the best player in the Arena Football League. Anybody have a clue who that is?

Me neither.

Llamafighter
08-03-2009, 08:16 PM
I find it hard to belive that Strikeforce can pay him any real cash.. over the UFC wallet at least.. got to be the M1-Global addtion..

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Fedor-signs-with-Strikeforce-will-fight-this-fa?urn=mma,180418

That's exactly what it is. they said it wasn't about the money it was about co-promotion.

Crisco
08-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Vadim Finklecrap should rot in hell.

Rev
08-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I just dont see this working out. Strikeforce does not make enough to survive for the next 2 years when it promotes alone! How will it survive when it has to start sharing with M-1? It wont last and it wont be long till they go backrupt and maybe start selling mma t-shirts, oh, wait. :blink:

Who the heck do they have that will fight Fedor? (that people will pay to watch)

Jason 16
08-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Vadim Finklecrap should rot in hell.

lol

does fedor even care about money or is it just everyone leeching off of him

matthughesfan21
08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Fedor will be like the best player in the Arena Football League. Anybody have a clue who that is?

Me neither.well they didn't have a season last year....but their last mvp was Matt D'Orazio from Philadelphia:Whistle:

rearnakedchoke
As much as i like fedor, i think he is scared of brock .. the ufc doesn't really need him ... i guess he doesn't need the UFC, but he can't be considered one of the best imo if he keeps this crap up ...

matthughesfan21
lol

does fedor even care about money or is it just everyone leeching off of himI'd go with the latter

Maldonado136
08-03-2009, 09:24 PM
i thought this was funny

http://www.cr3static.com/data/gif/howscottcokersignsfedorbp.gif

Crisco
08-03-2009, 09:42 PM
i thought this was funny

I lol'd

Mac
08-03-2009, 09:45 PM
"I am looking forward to going back to work and fighting at the highest level," Emelianenko stated. "

Well , we now know hes a liar , if this statement were true he would want to fight in the ufc.

Jason 16
08-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I'd go with the latter
then why the hell does he need (or have)them

rockdawg21
08-03-2009, 10:30 PM
i thought this was funny

LOL, that's awesome!

Crisco
08-03-2009, 10:34 PM
then why the hell does he need (or have)them

Because they are Russian Mob and they know where to find Fedor's family.

Vizion
08-03-2009, 11:41 PM
GOOD.

I want to see other orgs get some PRESS for a change. Sick and tired the UFC monopoly.

County Mike
08-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Because they are Russian Mob and they know where to find Fedor's family.

My suspicions exactly.

atomdanger
08-04-2009, 12:37 AM
ehh

Rogers
Werdum
Overeem
Monson (maybe?)

idk.

atomdanger
08-04-2009, 12:42 AM
I just dont see this working out. Strikeforce does not make enough to survive for the next 2 years when it promotes alone! How will it survive when it has to start sharing with M-1? It wont last and it wont be long till they go backrupt and maybe start selling mma t-shirts, oh, wait. :blink:

Who the heck do they have that will fight Fedor? (that people will pay to watch)

Strikeforce has been around since the mid 80's, as a kickboxing org,
and been doing MMA for 3 years now, Scott Coker isn't an idiot.
I don't think they will be taking over anytime soon,
but I don't imagine them going out of business either.

(they also hold the highest PAID attendance record for an mma event in the states)

They actually have some good fighters, and honestly I have enjoyed the last few cards.

Neezar
08-04-2009, 01:31 AM
After last week's negotiations with the UFC failed due to co-promoting demands, Fedor Emelianenko has instead signed a multi-fight deal with the UFC's biggest competitor, Strikeforce.

:happydancing:

Neezar
08-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Strikeforce has been around since the mid 80's, as a kickboxing org,
and been doing MMA for 3 years now, Scott Coker isn't an idiot.
I don't think they will be taking over anytime soon,
but I don't imagine them going out of business either.

(they also hold the highest PAID attendance record for an mma event in the states)

They actually have some good fighters, and honestly I have enjoyed the last few cards.

The last few cards were better than any PPV's that I have seen in a LONG time with the UFC. Every fight in their shows lately have been very good fights! I get them free on Showtime but would pay for them in a heartbeat.

atomdanger
08-04-2009, 01:52 AM
The last few cards were better than any PPV's that I have seen in a LONG time with the UFC. Every fight in their shows lately have been very good fights! I get them free on Showtime but would pay for them in a heartbeat.

Agreed.

To be honest I have like WEC's product a lot better than the UFC lately as well.
but yeah, the last Strikeforce card was pretty good.

I think they are doing a good job showcasing a large group of people,
and not seeming to make the mistake of only having one star that Showtime did.

atomdanger
08-04-2009, 02:54 AM
ehh

Rogers
Werdum
Overeem
Monson (maybe?)

idk.

+ Barnett in Japan is already in the works.
Sounds fine to me.
Those guys aren't exactly cans.

Jeff Crow
08-04-2009, 02:59 AM
I don't think it's a good move at all. What if he somehow gets beat by one of those fighters? I know it's highly unlikely but it is MMA and anything can happen. Say he does win every fight with them...people are still going to say he never fought the best, which would be the HW's of the UFC.

Oh well, it just gives Brock more time to train, get even better and pose even more problems for him if the fight does happen someday. That's if Brock doesn't lose either, which I don't think he will for awhile. :D

clm12704
08-04-2009, 03:18 AM
:dunce:

atomdanger
08-04-2009, 03:27 AM
I don't think it's a good move at all. What if he somehow gets beat by one of those fighters? I know it's highly unlikely but it is MMA and anything can happen. Say he does win every fight with them...people are still going to say he never fought the best, which would be the HW's of the UFC.

Oh well, it just gives Brock more time to train, get even better and pose even more problems for him if the fight does happen someday. That's if Brock doesn't lose either, which I don't think he will for awhile. :D

I don't think its the BEST move, but I am ok with it.

Fedor doesn't care about being known as the best, or his legacy.
I never know why people keep bringing that up.

logrus
08-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Well Affliction fights were held during X/C fights so It really only made sense for M-1 to co promote Strikeforce was the only option.

Hughes_GOAT
08-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Strikeforce has CBS which has 100 million+ plus viewers. Spike has close to 80 million. Fedor will get more exposure than the UFC gets with Spike. Strikeforce is also with Showtime. no PPV's, just order Showtime.

Hughes_GOAT
08-04-2009, 07:19 AM
and Fedor isn't afraid of Lesnar. he turned the UFC down before Brock ever fought. the UFC is afraid to co-promote though. even Randy said Fedor would tear up Brock at this point.

Jeff Crow
08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't think its the BEST move, but I am ok with it.

Fedor doesn't care about being known as the best, or his legacy.
I never know why people keep bringing that up.

Well, he has said on numerous occasions that he wants to fight the top competition and best fighters. Those guys aren't cans but they definately aren't at the top either.

The reason it keeps getting brought up is if he people are still going to call him the best p4p and greatest fighter he is face and beat current top fighters.

ufcfan2
08-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Strikeforce has CBS which has 100 million+ plus viewers. Spike has close to 80 million. Fedor will get more exposure than the UFC gets with Spike. Strikeforce is also with Showtime. no PPV's, just order Showtime.
Those numbers are great and all for Strikeforce,but doesn't Kimbo negate all that :Whistle:

atomdanger
08-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, he has said on numerous occasions that he wants to fight the top competition and best fighters. Those guys aren't cans but they definately aren't at the top either.

The reason it keeps getting brought up is if he people are still going to call him the best p4p and greatest fighter he is face and beat current top fighters.

I understand the logic, but Fedor doesn't care about being called the best,
and never said he is the best.

Nobody is telling Brock lesnar to leave UFC to go fight Fedor and Barnett,
if Lesnar wants to the be the best maybe he should go chase the best.

Rev
08-04-2009, 06:43 PM
I didnt say Scott and Strikeforce are idiots, but if they are going to survive, then they cant continue to shell out the $ that they are. Frank Shamrock is the biggest draw they have and he has been stopped in his last 2 fights. I understand that they have great fights, but the reality of the situation is, in America for the most part, MMA has a name, and it is UFC. If they succeed, AWESOME! I hope they do. But they need to be careful in the way they do business. Fedor's people want a rediculous amout of money and people are only gonna pay to see him fight a small name a couple times. UFC didnt co-promote with these guys for a reason and SF jumped right in bed with them. I hope they dont get burnt. Thats all I am saying

atomdanger
08-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I didnt say Scott and Strikeforce are idiots, but if they are going to survive, then they cant continue to shell out the $ that they are. Frank Shamrock is the biggest draw they have and he has been stopped in his last 2 fights. I understand that they have great fights, but the reality of the situation is, in America for the most part, MMA has a name, and it is UFC. If they succeed, AWESOME! I hope they do. But they need to be careful in the way they do business. Fedor's people want a rediculous amout of money and people are only gonna pay to see him fight a small name a couple times. UFC didnt co-promote with these guys for a reason and SF jumped right in bed with them. I hope they dont get burnt. Thats all I am saying

What makes you say that?
He isn't shelling out insane amounts of cash.
I don't know about all the events, but I know at Diaz/Shamrock that live gate covered payroll.
The live gate was 750K for that event, and payroll was 600.

Fedor doesn't want a lot of money, he took a lot less money from Strikeforce to get the other things in his contract he wanted.
If he wanted a ridiculous amount of money, he would be in the UFC.

I don't know where you get this ridiculous amount of money idea.
Did you see what Fedor was making in Affliction?
Did you see what Tim Sylvia made in Affliction?
Who was getting a ridiculous amount.

Affliction's payroll was through the roof, SF's clears half a mill.

Rev
08-04-2009, 08:20 PM
A couple years back when Fedor was negotiating with one company or another, I dont remember which, his people said they wanted 500k & half the ppv. Thats not rediculous?

750k gate.
Total Payout: $634,415

Nick Diaz: $39,950 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Frank Shamrock: $369,790

Gilbert Melendez: $49,890 (no win bonus)
def. Rodrigo Damm: $9,190

Scott Smith: $49,940 (includes $25,000 win bonus)
def. Benji Radach: $16,940

Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos: $18,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Hitomi Akano: $1,450

Brett Rogers: $39,940 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
def. Ron "Abongo" Humphrey: $3,205

Look at FS's pay. Imagine what Fedor is gonna get!!

I know Fedor only got 300k for fighting Tim, but they also said that the biggest part of his pay had already been recieved at the signing of his contract. I dont care enough to get into the deep down details, all I am saying is they need to be careful.

And Fedor has said that he wants to fight the best, and the best are in the UFC. example: Prior to 2007, CroCop was considered one of the top 5 HW in the world, he came to the UFC and what happend?
Does SF have some good HWs? Yes. Could they present him with a challenge? I doubt it, but maybe.

Most of the fans want to see him fight, Randy, Mir, Gonzaga, Cain, and most of all BROCK. To the fans it looks like he is dodging the UFC and they wont pay forever to see him fight outside the UFC. This is my opinion, but, well, it makes sense.

billwilliams70
08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Fedor vs The entire weight division
That's what I was thinking........ :laugh:

Later.

atomdanger
08-04-2009, 08:39 PM
A couple years back when Fedor was negotiating with one company or another, I dont remember which, his people said they wanted 500k & half the ppv. Thats not rediculous?

And Fedor has said that he wants to fight the best, and the best are in the UFC. example: Prior to 2007, CroCop was considered one of the top 5 HW in the world, he came to the UFC and what happend?
Does SF have some good HWs? Yes. Could they present him with a challenge? I doubt it, but maybe.

Most of the fans want to see him fight, Randy, Mir, Gonzaga, Cain, and most of all BROCK. To the fans it looks like he is dodging the UFC and they wont pay forever to see him fight outside the UFC. This is my opinion, but, well, it makes sense.

Well, I will address a couple things here.
Fedor got half the PPV because m - 1 paid for half the ppv.
So, he shared half the cost, and got half the profit.
Of course, this is all speculation based on what certain people have said.
Either way, SF isn't on a ppv setup at the moment, so...

Fedor does want to fight the best, but at what cost?
Obviously other things are more important.
You could say the same about any UFC hw. Barnett and Fedor, numbers 1 and 2 in the world are not in the UFC, so any UFC HW must not want to fight the best, or they would leave the organization to fight the top 2.

Also, Fedor beat Cro Cop when it mattered, you cannot compare Cro Cop now,
to Cro Cop in 2005. (2 years can make a huge difference in a fighter, 07 - 05)
He was obviously a different fighter. To say that takes something away from CC or Fedor is ridiculous.

I personally do not see any interest in Randy, Cain, or GG and think its hilarious that anybody does. Cain was almost KOed every round by Kongo, Randy 3 or 4 years ago would have been great, and GG? Come on....
he is 2 - 3 in his last 5 and hasn't beaten anybody even almost good since 2007. Brock and Carwin could end up being interesting fights, but IMO those are the only two.

I think that overeem, rogers, barnett, (He signed a 3 fight deal) Is just as good as him fighting Carwin, Brock and whoever else.
Barnett is number 2 in the world, Brock isn't. (they are letting him fight Barnett in Dream)
Not to even get into the fact that SF and Dream are going to share fighters, Lookout for Aoki, etc... in SF

Hughes_GOAT
08-05-2009, 08:06 AM

then the UFC needs to co-promote like the other orgs.

Hughes_GOAT
08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Those numbers are great and all for Strikeforce,but doesn't Kimbo negate all that :Whistle:
nah. what's Kimbo gonna negate? 20 million more viewers means he can't be beaten.

Mike1983
08-11-2009, 09:54 PM
This may get me shot lol....but I honestly don't think Fedor is as good as people think he is...he obviously doesn't want to be tested against fighters who are in their prime right now...he's fought a lot of big names who have faded from their glory days....so what does that really say about him? I think he's the most overrated fighter in MMA.

Of course I'd love to see him prove me wrong and come to the UFC and clear out the division! He'd make a fan out of me then for sure.

Chuck
08-12-2009, 01:33 AM
This may get me shot lol....but I honestly don't think Fedor is as good as people think he is...he obviously doesn't want to be tested against fighters who are in their prime right now...he's fought a lot of big names who have faded from their glory days....so what does that really say about him? I think he's the most overrated fighter in MMA.

Of course I'd love to see him prove me wrong and come to the UFC and clear out the division! He'd make a fan out of me then for sure.

Well I definitely agree that he's over rated we cant blame him for that. I dont think that he is THE most over rated fighter though.. I think that title belongs to Brock..

Mike1983
08-12-2009, 04:51 AM
lol funny I forgot all about Brock...that dude is something else man....Definitely overrated....and a jerk to top it off.

atomdanger
08-12-2009, 06:47 AM

When people say things like this,
I sort of laugh.

If he isn't as good, why has he never even been in trouble before?

Also, Fedor and Barnett are 1 and 2 in the world.
So, why would they go to the UFC to be tested?
I think by signing with the UFC as a HW, you're avoiding the top 2 guys.
So, you don't want to be tested.

Neezar
08-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I sort of laugh.

Apparently if you're not willing to sell your soul to the devil to fight then you really don't want to fight.

*Man I hope I got that you're and your right. lol

atomdanger
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Apparently if you're not willing to sell your soul to the devil to fight then you really don't want to fight.

*Man I hope I got that you're and your right. lol

lol

Josh
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I sort of laugh.

Yeah plus when he beat Nog, Cro Cop, even Herring were all in their prime. Nog and Cro Cop in their prime would destroy anyone in the UFC HW division.

Chuck
08-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah plus when he beat Nog, Cro Cop, even Herring were all in their prime. Nog and Cro Cop in their prime would destroy anyone in the UFC HW division.

Hmmm.... so Fedor beat Nog and CroCop when they were both in their prime... but now Nog and CroCop are both past their prime........ so wouldn't that mean that Fedor is past his as well?

VCURamFan
08-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Hmmm.... so Fedor beat Nog and CroCop when they were both in their prime... but now Nog and CroCop are both past their prime........ so wouldn't that mean that Fedor is past his as well?Shhhh, don't contaminate these discussions with logic!:blink:

atomdanger
08-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Hmmm.... so Fedor beat Nog and CroCop when they were both in their prime... but now Nog and CroCop are both past their prime........ so wouldn't that mean that Fedor is past his as well?

Not at all and I hope you're joking.

What doesn't beating somebody in their prime have to do with your prime?
Not to mention everybody trains differently, etc...

Mr X can have a prime thats 10 years long, while Mr Y has one 5 years long.
Mr X can hit his prime at 35, Mr Y at 25.

Get it?

Josh
08-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Sorry Chuck but you are wrong! He was just coming into his prime. I mean he hasn't lost yet or seemed to be strugling so who knows if he is in his prime or not. You however are past your keyboard warrior prime.:laugh:

Neezar
08-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Shhhh, don't contaminate these discussions with illogic!:blink:

Fixed.

VCURamFan
08-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Man, the esaiest way to ruin any forum friendships is just say the words "Fedor" or "GSP" & then sit back to watch the dust settle.:laugh:

Chuck
08-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Not at all and I hope you're joking.

What doesn't beating somebody in their prime have to do with your prime?
Not to mention everybody trains differently, etc...

Mr X can have a prime thats 10 years long, while Mr Y has one 5 years long.
Mr X can hit his prime at 35, Mr Y at 25.

Get it?

The point, which you illustrate wonderfully... is that we don't' know when a fighter is in their "prime" it's all speculation.

Interjecting fighting a fighter during their prime into an argument with Fedor is a huge mistake... He has built an entire career on a few wins against top fighters. His record is FULL of fights with cans, fighters past their prime and inactivity. But the Fhuggers continue to hype him into some MMA god... he's much, much more hype then substance...

And to the Fhuggers... PLEASE save your keystrokes... I'm not a hater... I think Fedor is a great fighter and clearly the best HW out there.... but like I've said before he's a big fish in a small pond...