PDA

View Full Version : Is Fedor's dominance due to Sambo?

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 01:55 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but I know very little about Sambo. I am sure that Fedor is an incredible athlete and would likely be a great fighter with a background in other martial arts. Is their something about the skill set in Sambo that gives Fedor a competitive edge? Is Sambo just a Russian form of MMA? Why hasn't Sambo taken off like BJJ did following Royce Gracie's success?

atomdanger
07-31-2009, 03:04 AM
I think its his work ethic.

Sure Fedor is top tier in the world in sambo,
but he also worked with Rickson on BJJ, and Hoost on kickboxing.
He spends time with the best of the best in different disciplines.

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 07:21 PM
I think its his work ethic.

Sure Fedor is top tier in the world in sambo,
but he also worked with Rickson on BJJ, and Hoost on kickboxing.
He spends time with the best of the best in different disciplines.

I think Fedor is the best fighter in the world right now. Why doesn't he "look" like a fighter? Does he spend all his time on technique and not concentrate as much on strength training (although, undoubtedly he is very strong)? I wonder if it is his genetics or maybe he doesn't follow a strict diet. He is probably the "baddest" man on the planet but his physique isn't that impressive for a professional athlete.

atomdanger
07-31-2009, 08:25 PM
I think Fedor is the best fighter in the world right now. Why doesn't he "look" like a fighter? Does he spend all his time on technique and not concentrate as much on strength training (although, undoubtedly he is very strong)? I wonder if it is his genetics or maybe he doesn't follow a strict diet. He is probably the "baddest" man on the planet but his physique isn't that impressive for a professional athlete.

IMO

The less time you spend on looking good, the more time you're spending on being good.
He obviously has great cardio and is in great shape, he just doesn't have our American attitude of having to look cut and in shape to be an athlete.
Looking good does nothing for you in a fight, if it is a bi product of your work, then fine, but IMO for a fighter looking good should never be a goal.

physique means nothing. Realistically its completely superficial,
if you're strong and have great conditioning what good does looking it do?
He also doesn't dehydrate and cut down like most fighters in the states,
he weights less than a lot of UFC LHW's, and about the same as some MW's.

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 08:35 PM
IMO

The less time you spend on looking good, the more time you're spending on being good.
He obviously has great cardio and is in great shape, he just doesn't have our American attitude of having to look cut and in shape to be an athlete.
Looking good does nothing for you in a fight, if it is a bi product of your work, then fine, but IMO for a fighter looking good should never be a goal.

physique means nothing. Realistically its completely superficial,
if you're strong and have great conditioning what good does looking it do?
He also doesn't dehydrate and cut down like most fighters in the states,
he weights less than a lot of UFC LHW's, and about the same as some MW's.

Whatever he is doing, it is obviously working. He has enough body fat on him, that I bet he could cut down to 205 lbs., without losing too much strength, and clean out that division, as well.

atomdanger
07-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Whatever he is doing, it is obviously working. He has enough body fat on him, that I bet he could cut down to 205 lbs., without losing too much strength, and clean out that division, as well.

Oh I don't doubt it.
I am sure he could make 205, and there are a lot of interesting fights for him there,
but I cannot imagine that happening.

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 09:29 PM
Oh I don't doubt it.
I am sure he could make 205, and there are a lot of interesting fights for him there,
but I cannot imagine that happening.

Yeah, at this point I would be happy if he would just sign a contract with the UFC as a heavyweight.

Hughes_GOAT
08-01-2009, 01:12 AM
I think Fedor is the best fighter in the world right now.

you're obviously a smart individual.

Chris F
08-01-2009, 01:28 AM
[QUOTE=Play The Man][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]I think Fedor is the best fighter in the world right now. [QUOTE]

If he really was the best he would have signed the contract and proved it. Till then he is a paper champ

Hughes_GOAT
08-01-2009, 03:49 AM
he's the only #1 ranked fighter not in the UFC. that's how good he is and the respect he gets from the MMA world. not bad for a "paper champ." he doesn't need to prove anything. the Brock fight would be the only interesting fight in the UFC. i'd rather see him face Barnett, he can have the steroids too, or Overeem, Werdum, and Rogers.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-01-2009, 07:44 AM
I imagine being so good in Sambo helps but he's obviously got other things going for him as well!

atomdanger
08-01-2009, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=Play The Man][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]I think Fedor is the best fighter in the world right now. [QUOTE]

If he really was the best he would have signed the contract and proved it. Till then he is a paper champ

Beating a guy with 4 or 5 fights certainly doesn't do anything for Fedor's legitimacy

Crisco
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
he's the only #1 ranked fighter not in the UFC. that's how good he is and the respect he gets from the MMA world. not bad for a "paper champ." he doesn't need to prove anything. the Brock fight would be the only interesting fight in the UFC. i'd rather see him face Barnett, he can have the steroids too, or Overeem, Werdum, and Rogers.

You would rly rather see that then Lesnar?

Hughes_GOAT
08-04-2009, 06:22 AM
You would rly rather see that then Lesnar?
no, Lesnar is the only UFC fight i'd watch instead of those.

Crisco
08-04-2009, 12:42 PM
no, Lesnar is the only UFC fight i'd watch instead of those.

understandable.

But even more then Couture too?

Llamafighter
08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
I imagine Strikeforce is going to use him a lot so on the bright side maybe we'll get to see him fight (whoever) 2-3 times a year. that would be cool.

Also, maybe Strikeforce will be able to bring in some more HW's. what happened to that Olympic Judo dude that UFC was courting?

Hughes_GOAT
08-05-2009, 07:18 AM
understandable.

But even more then Couture too?
i'd watch Couture just to get smashed.

Hughes_GOAT
08-05-2009, 07:21 AM
I imagine Strikeforce is going to use him a lot so on the bright side maybe we'll get to see him fight (whoever) 2-3 times a year. that would be cool.

Also, maybe Strikeforce will be able to bring in some more HW's. what happened to that Olympic Judo dude that UFC was courting?
they'll have him for 3 fights over a 1 year period. Strikeforce is working with Dream too and others i believe.