PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo's of Christian Symbolism

Crisco
07-30-2009, 10:17 PM
What are your opinions of them?

I know the bible says do not mark yourself for the dead but does it say anything else regarding tattoo's?

I'm thinking of getting some scripture tattooed on my leg and I'm somewhat conflicted as to if it would be hypocritical.

NateR
07-31-2009, 01:12 AM
The only verse I've found that specifically references tattoo markings is Leviticus 19:28 - "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."

In the OT times, tattoos only existed for pagan religious worship. I don't think people got tattoos for purely aesthetic reasons back in those days. So I can understand why GOD would not want His people to get tattoos.

However, speaking as someone who has a couple of tattoos, I'd recommend thinking it through very thoroughly. They're never going to come off and do you really want them on your body when you're 60 years old? I got two tattoos when I was in the Army and I really wish I had never wasted my money on them.

MattHughesRocks
07-31-2009, 01:31 AM
http://www.costhelper.com/cost/health/tattoo-removal.html

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 02:05 AM
I don't know enough to comment on any Biblical injunction against them; however, purely from the perspective of prudence, one word comes to mind: "Why?" It seems to me that this whole tattoo craze is likely a fad and a lot of people are going to be left with the bodily equivalent of a permanent pair of parachute pants. At least a fool that got a "Flock of Seagulls" haircut in the '80's was able to let it grow out; not so with the chump that, not knowing any oriental languages, gets kanji characters meaning "crazy diarrhea" tattooed on his body in some lame attempt to ape Chuck Liddell or GSP. I feel bad for the women that get "tramp stamps"; they are going to be the laughing stock of the nursing home one day.

Crisco, how about hiring an artist to write the scripture in calligraphy and have it framed for your home? If you want something on your person, design a tasteful signet ring with a Christian symbol, with scripture engraved on the inside. Alternatively, concentrate on the love of scripture and forget about the symbolism and buy a very nice Bible, which you can use your entire life, and pass on to your children.

Please think long and hard about this, because unless you get laser treatments, it is permanent.

MattHughesRocks
07-31-2009, 02:26 AM
Oh come on....you know those women with the tramp stamps will be envied by the time they reach an old folks home:laugh:

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 02:37 AM
Oh come on....you know those women with the tramp stamps will be envied by the time they reach an old folks home:laugh:

Women live longer than men and by the time they reach nursing-home age, the old women in the nursing home vastly outnumber the men. When this generation gets old, the "randy" old men will know to target the little old ladies with the "tramp stamps".

MattHughesRocks
07-31-2009, 02:52 AM
:laugh:

Actually I was thinking about the little old ladies to will be envious because they never did anything to...oh never mind:ashamed:

:laugh:

Women live longer than men and by the time they reach nursing-home age, the old women in the nursing home vastly outnumber the men. When this generation gets old, the "randy" old men will know to target the little old ladies with the "tramp stamps".

atomdanger
07-31-2009, 04:17 AM
There is always wrecking balm.

But either way, I remember asking about the tattoo thing.

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 04:56 AM
There is always wrecking balm.

But either way, I remember asking about the tattoo thing.

I had never heard of "wrecking balm". Does it actually work? If tattoos lose popularity, I could see a lot of people buying that stuff. Perhaps, it would be a good investment opportunity.

Chris F
07-31-2009, 04:58 AM
Jesus has a Tattoo. Bibles says on his thigh is written the name King of Kings and Lord of Lords. :wink:

Jeff Crow
07-31-2009, 05:31 AM
I personally don't think there is anything wrong with Tattoos. Especially ones of Christian Symbolism.

As for them being just a fad. They have been around in other cultures for many years and most of them symbolized something. I like a lot of people see them as a form of art. You just have to be sure you will comfortable having them when you get older. I do think it is pretty dumb to get one without thinking it out.

I seen an episode of "Tattoo Highway" not long ago where a older guy had lost his wife and wanted a portrait of her tattoo'd on him. He gave the guy a box that contained her ashes with the picture on the box. They ended up coming up with the idea of mixing her ashes in with the ink and using it to do the tattoo which I thought was awesome!!! :)

Crisco
07-31-2009, 05:52 AM
I personally don't think there is anything wrong with Tattoos. Especially ones of Christian Symbolism.

As for them being just a fad. They have been around in other cultures for many years and most of them symbolized something. I like a lot of people see them as a form of art. You just have to be sure you will comfortable having them when you get older. I do think it is pretty dumb to get one without thinking it out.

I seen an episode of "Tattoo Highway" not long ago where a older guy had lost his wife and wanted a portrait of her tattoo'd on him. He gave the guy a box that contained her ashes with the picture on the box. They ended up coming up with the idea of mixing her ashes in with the ink and using it to do the tattoo which I thought was awesome!!! :)

I have two already so I know what I'm in for. My family is very tattoo oriented.

Thank you all for your responses =) I'll be putting something together and I'll see what you guys think when I'm done.

Neezar
07-31-2009, 06:27 AM

:scared0015:

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 07:05 AM

There is definitely a long history of tattooing in certain subcultures, such as Polynesians, sailors, bikers, etc.; however, I was referring to the fad that has been around for about 10 or so years where every Tom, Dick & Harry gets a tattoo. Often, these tattoos don't seem very well thought out.

lyndsey823
07-31-2009, 07:31 AM
i'll be working at the tattoo shop all day tomorrow and saturday, 9am-10pm, if anyone wants to text me or PM, it gets boring sometimes!!! lol.

and yes, i am very heavily tattoo'd, and no, you can hardly tell!!! lol. they hide very well. and the answer to the question i get asked most often.............................YES!!!!!! i regret all of them but 2. wish i never would have had them. they are beautiful, all of them, just not something i wish to be walking around with for the rest of my life. and i "live" the tattoo lifestyle. haha.

NateR
07-31-2009, 07:55 AM
There is definitely a long history of tattooing in certain subcultures, such as Polynesians, sailors, bikers, etc.; however, I was referring to the fad that has been around for about 10 or so years where every Tom, Dick & Harry gets a tattoo. Often, these tattoos don't seem very well thought out.

Yeah, there was definitely a period around the mid to late-90s where tattoos, piercings, and body-modification suddenly became "in style." The stigma that tattoos used to bring seemed to just vanish overnight. They went from making a guy look tough and kind of scary, to looking like a trendy conformist.

I also remember it was about 1998 or so when just about everyone in my unit was getting some kind of piercing. In the 80s, guys were getting their ears pierced, but it wasn't until the 90s that guys would casually talk about piercing their tongue, nipples or even their penis. :scared0011: Then there were also the eyebrow, lip, nose and bellybutton rings. Basically, if it was a mound of flesh, then someone out there was paying to get a hot needle stabbed through it. :rolleyes:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
07-31-2009, 08:08 AM
My Grandma once told me that She thinks any guy with an earring must be gay! As for Tattoo's,Well I ain't a big fan of them especially on ladies. However if someone really feels the need it would be wise to have it where it can be easy hidden by normal clothes! I've seen Folk's with Asian characters tattooed on their neck and I'm thinking,1-They probably don't even know what it says or means. And 2-I sure wouldn't want somebody sticking a needle in my neck unless it was a medical necessity!

atomdanger
07-31-2009, 09:41 AM
I had never heard of "wrecking balm". Does it actually work? If tattoos lose popularity, I could see a lot of people buying that stuff. Perhaps, it would be a good investment opportunity.

http://www.wreckingbalm.com/

Its a process, it takes a while, but it is extremely cheaper than laser removal.
I don't think anybody should get a tattoo unless they are certain,
and they have to want it for themselves.

I regret none of mine, they are a part of me, a part of my history, a part of my life.

Crisco
07-31-2009, 12:36 PM
http://www.wreckingbalm.com/

Its a process, it takes a while, but it is extremely cheaper than laser removal.
I don't think anybody should get a tattoo unless they are certain,
and they have to want it for themselves.

I regret none of mine, they are a part of me, a part of my history, a part of my life.

My rational was that I don't think I could ever regret putting god's word on my body.

Boomer
07-31-2009, 01:00 PM
I have a tat and wouldn't mind another one. Mine is a celtic eternity spiral that branches out in knots with three dots surrounding the spiral. Three dot represent the trinity, spiral is eternal life and it is colored in red for eternal life through the blood of Christ. I'm acutally going to get it touched up when I get back. I also have another design in mind at envolves the Celtic tree of life and I want on my chest ... and I'll have to come up with another band for my other arm to be sametrical. :)

Moose
07-31-2009, 01:30 PM
In Hoc Signo Vinces! My only problem with being tattooed is that they are addictive and expensive. :)

Chuck
07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
My rational was that I don't think I could ever regret putting god's word on my body.
Kimo

Chuck
07-31-2009, 01:47 PM
....I also have another design in mind at envolves the Celtic tree of life and I want on my chest ...
Brock

mikthehick
07-31-2009, 03:44 PM
After kicking around the idea of getting one, I decided that they aren't for me. So yeah, who knew that not getting a tat would ever be considered "different"? Some friends at my gym asked me why not, and I just replied that I didn't want to fall with the 'in' crowd, which is pretty usual.

Plus, we all know that "sword" on Brock Lesnar's chest doesn't look like a "sword" at all.....

What a mistake! :laugh:

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah, there was definitely a period around the mid to late-90s where tattoos, piercings, and body-modification suddenly became "in style." The stigma that tattoos used to bring seemed to just vanish overnight. They went from making a guy look tough and kind of scary, to looking like a trendy conformist.

I also remember it was about 1998 or so when just about everyone in my unit was getting some kind of piercing. In the 80s, guys were getting their ears pierced, but it wasn't until the 90s that guys would casually talk about piercing their tongue, nipples or even their penis. :scared0011: Then there were also the eyebrow, lip, nose and bellybutton rings. Basically, if it was a mound of flesh, then someone out there was paying to get a hot needle stabbed through it. :rolleyes:

Recently, I have noticed a trend among young women, in their late teens or early 20's, of having a teeny, tiny stud put through the flesh of the face about an inch or so from the lip. In the back of my mind, I always say to myself, "What a pretty young woman, why is she ruining her appearance with that?". The first time I saw one I almost told the woman that she had a little piece of food stuck on her face. I guess it is none of my business, so I have never said anything to these women; however, I have offered several of my relatives that are reaching that age range, a bribe - I will pay them if they remain tattoo and piercing-free.

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 06:58 PM

Make sure the tattoo artist knows how to spell and read. For example, in 1631, a printer made a mistake and printed what is known as the "Sinner's Bible". He left an important "not" out of one of the Ten Commandments - "Thou shalt commit adultery". I bought a cane (martial arts cane) for my Dad as a gift. I had it engraved with Psalm 23:4 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." The cane maker got the verse correct, but engraved "Psam 23:4" - he left out the "l"! He had to make me a new cane. If it was engraved on your body, you would look like a chump. Fail!

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 07:52 PM

I would never say anything to the man in person, he is obviously dealing with a lot of pain in his life (and it is none of my business); however, I find that absolutely horrifying . . . and tacky.

eric84
07-31-2009, 08:47 PM
I personally think tattoos are defacing your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 talks about our bodies and that we received them from God.

atomdanger
07-31-2009, 09:32 PM

Well there you go

atomdanger
07-31-2009, 09:35 PM
I personally think tattoos are defacing your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 talks about our bodies and that we received them from God.

That is a very fair opinion.

A lot of people feel being obese, smoking, etc... are defacing your body.

eric84
07-31-2009, 09:45 PM

Yep, just my opinion. I feel like letting your body go to waste is wrong, same with smoking. I guess I'm a little extreme, although I stick by my opinion, but doing extreme things that put your body in high risk situations is also wrong. I know that sounds funny since I'm on this forum, I actually enjoy watching the MMA fights, especially more of the wrestling/bjj fights. I just get tired of seeing people show off huge scars from when they tried some "awesome flip" in dirtbiking/snowboarding/etc, seems to me they take their body for granted. Not saying riding those things are wrong at all, but when abused, I think its wrong, just like anything can be abused.

Play The Man
07-31-2009, 09:56 PM

That is a great point. The way we treat our bodies is at a minimum not wise, and could be considered sinful; however, everyone in a church is a sinner, and I think it would be a greater sin to look down on someone that comes into your Church because they are obese or have a tattoo. They would likely never come back to hear the Gospel.

eric84
07-31-2009, 09:59 PM
That is a great point. The way we treat our bodies is at a minimum not wise, and could be considered sinful; however, everyone in a church is a sinner, and I think it would be a greater sin to look down on someone that comes into your Church because they are obese or have a tattoo. They would likely never come back to hear the Gospel.

I don't think anyone is talking about looking down on people, just that it may be wrong to your body. We all sin, but we should try not to, so if you consider it a sin to let your body go to waste, then although you can't be perfect, you should at least try to keep it healthy. I for one am much happier with myself when I'm in shape :)

warriorlion
07-31-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm thinking of getting some scripture tattooed on my leg and I'm somewhat conflicted as to if it would be hypocritical.

to be honest I have not read all the posts here, what I would say is if you are conflicted about getting them, then dont.

I know you have tats already, but if you feel conflicted I would say its best not to get another tattoo done.

I have three christian sybolic tattoos for my life on me, the first is pistis elpis agape, the greek words for faith hope and love, and that theme is continued on my shoulder, on my other arm also in greek is polymistis, which is warrior, a calling God has put on my life as a worship warrior.

I dont have any issues with Tattoos obviously depending on what they depict and the heart behind them. For me my tattoos are personal to me. Many time they have started a conversation which leads to some witness.

I have had to listen to people preach the scripture in the law about not marking/cutting yourself in memory of the dead.

Well basically my reponce is alway the same, that very same section of scriture talks about not growing two crops together or wearing clothing of two materials, or cutting the hair on the side of your heads. Why is it that people are happy to ignore some of it, like they are happy to wear t-shirts of cotton and polyester, or even shave their beards [mainly the women obviously ;)] why do these same people get stuffy about tattoos.

Nate nailed it about the history at the time. Tattoos had a different meaning for the isrealites. The same is true about the fad, you go into any gym and tribal tattoos are ten a penny.

Crisco, as I said already if you feel conflicted about getting scripture, dont.

Only you can say what sits right with you, I am not going to stand before God and answer for your decisions. But you will, if you are feeling conflicted seek God on the issue, if you dont have peace I would say thats a fair indecation that God doesnt want tattoos for you any more.

Chris F
08-01-2009, 12:43 AM

When I was in High school in the late 80's we used to beat the tar out of any boy with an ear pierced. Now with the whole metro homosexual thing it is normal I supose.

lyndsey823
08-01-2009, 12:49 AM
In Hoc Signo Vinces! My only problem with being tattooed is that they are addictive and expensive. :)

yes, very expensive!!! that is why i haven't gotten a new one in years. that helped me grow out of the addiction, lol

Tyburn
08-03-2009, 02:11 PM
What are your opinions of them?

I know the bible says do not mark yourself for the dead but does it say anything else regarding tattoo's?

Are we not to write his name on our hearts or seal the law on our hearts or something.

I think that the Bible is talking about the kind of branding that was around at the time, its part of the ethos of setting aside yourself as different to others, and sacred to The Lord.

I actually have religious Tattoos for a very good reason, they are there to remind me of things I am otherwise afriad of forgetting. Thats actually quite litterally writing GODs word onto myself so that I dont forget it.

I wouldnt get anyother Tattoo I dont think, that didnt have some spiritual significance. I have the oriental verb "to enter in" which is kinda like reminds me that my body is now a temple for the dwelling of the Holy Spirit. The Greek word for that is "maranatha" and invokation, where you specifically ask for the Spirit to enter you. I also have a a little blue eye, I call that Ocular Veritas, which is Latin for Eye of Truth. It reminds me that everything I put my hands to will come back to me on Judgement day. The final Tattoo so far is "Le Sacre Couer" its an image of the burning Heart.

I have another Tattoo planned but dont have funds for it yet, it will be the ikon of a feather with the words "De Profundis" above, and a Deuteronomy Biblical Reference below. The significance of that will be a reminder of my two most favourite Biblical Passages (De Profundis, is the Latin start to psalm 130, and the Deuteronomy Reference will be about the choice between Life or Death which GOD has freely given us all) The feather is a representation of Intrinsic Value, which is displayed in two out of four Gospels using the example of the Humble Sparrow.

...until then my Budgie is a living reminder of that :)

Chris F
08-03-2009, 08:48 PM

You are using this out of context. What was Paul dealing with at Corinth? Are you saying getting a tattoo is the same thing as being a temple prostitute. So a tattoo is the same as having sex? Context context context sir.

Tyburn
08-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I think there is a difference between Defacing, which is dessicration, and Decorating.

Let me explain using a very different Example. Is it Dessicration to re-wire the lights within a Church? Is it dessicration to pain large muriels of Christian Artwork on the inside of a Church? Are mozaics enhancements or are they damaging? Do they aid worship, or do they distract from it.

I believe very strongly that we belong to GOD once we have become a Christian. He litterally owns us. So I am not really in favour of "tattoos" willy-nilly....I dont think if you did it, you'd end up in Hell...but I do think its not the best way to look after yourself.

Now...if you are writing the Words of GOD on His Temple...I really do NOT see that as a dessicration...infact its more a sign of subordination isnt it? After all what did the Islamists do to Constantinople when they took her? Did they burn the Churches down?? No...They simply put their mark onto each Church as a sign of ownership. The Ball and Cross was taken down, and the Orb or Crescent Moon was hoisted in its place.

This isnt about damaging or defacing the body...its about outward signs of an inward manifestation. Do you Belong to Him? Is He your Master? Then you should surely wear His Uniform...No? You should display his Standard...No? You wouldnt think twice about it if it was another, secular master. Why do you think people buy Matt Hughes Gear from this Website? What is it they are trying to show? They are trying to show an affiliation, they are saying "I allign myself with this athlete, I accept his philosophy, I support this man" and they are letting it show.

Would you hide the light of a Greater Master under a bushall? Afraid that someone might see you are owned property? Would that shame or embariss you? Did you know that my Tattoos...are talking points at work?

Did you know they ask others to roll their sleaves down to hide there secular shyte...but they wouldnt dare approach me about mine? Do you know how many heathen have asked me "what is that on your arm? Why would you choose that??"

So I aggree with you. Do not deface your body with Tattoos of secular shyte. But you may, if you wish, if it would be helpful, adorn standards that might act as Ikons themselves that point to GOD.

What do you think I say when people ask me why I have it? Do you not think the answer to that might make them think? might be a seed? might be a passive form of outreach? You are lucky, living in a Christian Country. When I walk down the street people STARE at the word "GOD" on my hoody. Heads turn, voices whisper...I am in slightly different territory...Our Nation has a Christian Heratage...but to claim it is openly Christian anymore, is a falsity outside of our own Church Camps.

Yes I wear this Hoody with the Word written on it, in a Multi-cultural and Multi-faith environment. Infront of collegues, and complete strangers, to a church, or to a pub, or to the cinema, or perhaps I'm wearing it in videos on youtube. I dont hide it. I'm not ashamed of it...and actually, I want people to know. I want them to be curious, and I want them to ask me about it. Its Deliberate. I do it on purpose...and its not in defiance of Scripture. :)

Vizion
08-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Tattoos = a permanent reminder of a temporary emotion, at least in many if not most cases.

Personally I don't think in Heaven we will be sporting our "tats", so why desicrate our bodies with them here?

Tyburn
08-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Tattoos = a permanent reminder of a temporary emotion, at least in many if not most cases.

Personally I don't think in Heaven we will be sporting our "tats", so why desicrate our bodies with them here?
Do you think we will be "sporting" our Bibles in Heaven?

then by your same logic....perhaps we should not bother reading them on Earth (Heaven forbid, if you pardon the pun, that we give ourselves Eye Strain by reading the book, thus dessicrating our bodies...Oh and I better not discover you have sugar in your coffee.... :ninja: :laugh: :laugh: )

Religiously motivated Tattoos arent usually based on "emotion" anyway. They are permanent and unchanging...because the project matter they are based on is the ONLY permanent and unchanging subject matter there is :ninja:

Vizion
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Do you think we will be "sporting" our Bibles in Heaven?

then by your same logic....perhaps we should not bother reading them on Earth (Heaven forbid, if you pardon the pun, that we give ourselves Eye Strain by reading the book, thus dessicrating our bodies...Oh and I better not discover you have sugar in your coffee
How are having ink permanatley etched into one's skin and reading the Bible even remotely similar :laugh: That wasn't the logic I used.

In Heaven we will need no Bible, no eye glasses, sunglasses nor contacts, In Heaven we will not have INK drawen upon our flesh, nor our ears pierced, nor any such human convention attached to our person..it would be impure to our being yes?

Now, some things we NEED have here such as reading glasses, but no man is inhibited by not wearing ink, yes?

warriorlion
08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
So vosion, do you have an issue with painting the church???

NateR
08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
A church is just a building and has zero spiritual significance whatsoever. GOD doesn't care about churches, He only cares about the people inside the churches.

When you start treating a church building like it's sacred ground and "GOD's house" then you're just turning it into an idol and worshipping a false god.

Thus, painting a church is totally irrelevant to the issue of tattooing our bodies.

Tattoos started out as a form of pagan worship and like every other false religious practice, they really just become a matter of conscience. If, as a Christian, you feel that you can get a tattoo and it won't hinder your faith, then fine; but don't insult everyone's intelligence by claiming that it will somehow enhance your faith, that's idiotic. Unless you plan to get entire books of the Bible tattooed on your body, then move to a part of the world where the Bible is banned, then there is absolutely no spiritual value gained from a tattoo.

However, if you have no problems with tattoos; but are around believers who do, then keep them covered and don't get them in places that you cannot cover with everyday clothing. It's your responsibility to not offend the conscience of other believers who might be weaker in their faith.

Vizion
08-04-2009, 05:56 PM
So vosion (Vizion), do you have an issue with painting the church???
No. What does that have to do with desicrating your body? Your physical body?

warriorlion
08-04-2009, 08:09 PM
No. What does that have to do with desicrating your body? Your physical body?

sorry my typing was a bit lax, the issues of having a 6 month old on your lap when responding.

As far as I am concerned my body is a temple, we paint the church, so why is decorating my temple, with things that 1 glorify God and 2 give me openings to witness a desicration???

warriorlion
08-04-2009, 08:17 PM
A church is just a building and has zero spiritual significance whatsoever. GOD doesn't care about churches, He only cares about the people inside the churches.

When you start treating a church building like it's sacred ground and "GOD's house" then you're just turning it into an idol and worshipping a false god.

Thus, painting a church is totally irrelevant to the issue of tattooing our bodies.

Tattoos started out as a form of pagan worship and like every other false religious practice, they really just become a matter of conscience. If, as a Christian, you feel that you can get a tattoo and it won't hinder your faith, then fine; but don't insult everyone's intelligence by claiming that it will somehow enhance your faith, that's idiotic. Unless you plan to get entire books of the Bible tattooed on your body, then move to a part of the world where the Bible is banned, then there is absolutely no spiritual value gained from a tattoo.

However, if you have no problems with tattoos; but are around believers who do, then keep them covered and don't get them in places that you cannot cover with everyday clothing. It's your responsibility to not offend the conscience of other believers who might be weaker in their faith.

wow whos jumping the gun a bit.

I didnt say anything about worshiping the building. And as far as I am concerned it very relevent in this conversation. I am called to be a witness, through my words and my actions, and so I choose to use my tattoos to glorify God, I have scripture tattoo's. They spark conversation, openings for witness, and for people that can read greek, they can read the word of the Lord on my body.

You are saying that you shouldnt get verses tattoos unless you plan on whole books of the bible, and you say I am making a ridiculous statement.

Rather than jumping on someone for a question, how about waiting for an point to the question.

Nate you cant really call me out for irrelevence to a topic, you do it with topics

Vizion
08-04-2009, 09:39 PM
sorry my typing was a bit lax, the issues of having a 6 month old on your lap when responding.

As far as I am concerned my body is a temple, we paint the church, so why is decorating my temple, with things that 1 glorify God and 2 give me openings to witness a desicration???
That's just an excuse though. Look, 99.999999999999% of tattooed folks do NOT get tats (religious ones either) for witnessing purposes. Up till 15 or so years ago Tats were still a large part of the deviant subculture and in many places still are.

They shant be with ye in Heaven, why then here I say? As per desicration a building is meant to be decorated? Our bodies were born pure, and are to remain pure. Adam & Eve and all that..we just weren't meant to have em...they are worldy and as Paul said we are to be In the world not Of it.

Tyburn
08-04-2009, 09:49 PM
How are having ink permanatley etched into one's skin and reading the Bible even remotely similar :laugh: That wasn't the logic I used.

In Heaven we will need no Bible, no eye glasses, sunglasses nor contacts, In Heaven we will not have INK drawen upon our flesh, nor our ears pierced, nor any such human convention attached to our person..it would be impure to our being yes?

Now, some things we NEED have here such as reading glasses, but no man is inhibited by not wearing ink, yes?
Well lets first remind ourselves that the Title of this thread is Tattoos OF CHRISTIAN SYMBOLOGY. So I am purely speaking about Tattoos of that nature. Now if you copy a piece of Scripture onto your skin...do you think that because it is no longer in a book it fails to be Scripture?

We should be writing his law on our hearts...no?

"No man is inhibited by not wearing ink" Actually, in terms of religious Tattoos thats not true. Let me tell you that some Christians are plagued by horredes of Devils who whisper in their ears. They know in their mind various Truthes...but when the feelings or the circumstances dont appear to aggree with the truth, they are likely to forget it, they are likely to give in to their manipulated feelings...and actually that can have life threatening implications...perhaps one suicide might have been prevented if the guy had held onto a simple GOD-given truth...one that he wasnt going to go all the way to the Bible for...but one which might have been unavoidable if its printed on his arm! perhaps one fatal car accident might have been avoided if the Drunk had the self esteem he needed not to be dependant on alcohol...perhaps if He'd seen the reflection of certain scriptures written on his leg through the bottom of a bottle, he might not have been drinking that night.

So actually, it can have a profound effect, and it can force one to see the truth whether they feel it or not...when they dont want to go to the Bible...and there is all kinds of reasons why one might not bother doing that...depression, anxiety, exhaustion, devil whispers...can talk you out of it...I know...its happened to me before now.

Did you not read my motivation behind buying Jens the Budgie :huh: I need never worry about intrinsic value again. Whenever I feel worthless, all I need to do is look at Jens, and there is the stark biblical reminder...If GOD loves and cares for the birds, knows them, feeds them, is aware of their dying...how much more must he care for a Human Being?

I dont suppose we'll have pet Budgies in Heaven neither...but I am not in Heaven...I'm not perfected, I'm not at rest, nor at home. I am deployed in Enemy Terrirtory, I am fallen, I am fighting, At present I dont have a firearm..I must make myself weapons from the most mundane of things. A pet Budgie becomes my weapon of mass destruction, and my Tattoos become beacons to attract attention of the heathen away from the Enemy before it is to late.

:)

Tyburn
08-04-2009, 10:01 PM
1)A church is just a building and has zero spiritual significance whatsoever. GOD doesn't care about churches, He only cares about the people inside the churches.

2) but don't insult everyone's intelligence by claiming that it will somehow enhance your faith, that's idiotic. Unless you plan to get entire books of the Bible tattooed on your body, then move to a part of the world where the Bible is banned, then there is absolutely no spiritual value gained from a tattoo.

1) Thats not entirely True Nathan.

The Church is the Messianic version of The Temple. The Temple is a replica of The Throne Room in Heaven. I would not be going around saying Church Buildings have no value. Not when, I KNOW you believe the Temple and Sacrifices will reoccure during the millenial reign

It is true that GOD cant be contained in a building, and its true that the specific Building is not essential...but dont pretend it doesnt hold some value. A lot of Churches were built infact to teach a population the basic principles of Christianity, because they couldnt read or write. Churches are not merely buildings, they are teaching tools, and there is a whole array of symbology...almost everything in a church from colour to shape is symbolic. Churches were meant to be read. Some of the older Churches even contained Alchemaic Properties, mathematical equations spelt out in architecture.

GOD also DOES allow for consecration of Holy Ground, and some of that, is just beauty for beauties sake, he says so in the books of the law. I remember writing it when I outlined a few of the Sacrifices he instructs of the Orthodox Jews.

2) ...also you go read some of my posts about how my Tattoos have attracted attention. You dont need a whole book for outreach. infact sometimes that would be counter productive. Its like when you want someone to reply to you on Myspace....you make it so they HAVE to open the PM in order to read the other half of the Question "You were mentioned in...."

and they think :huh: :ninja:

Trust me...I use it as a method of picking up contacts and it works wonders :laugh: Your main problem is you havent learned some of the few psychological aids you can use. with regards back to the Tattoos...all you want is for them to ask a question...trust that GOD will implant a seed through your answer :)

Tyburn
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
That's just an excuse though. Look, 99.999999999999% of tattooed folks do NOT get tats (religious ones either) for witnessing purposes. Up till 15 or so years ago Tats were still a large part of the deviant subculture and in many places still are.

They shant be with ye in Heaven, why then here I say? As per desicration a building is meant to be decorated? Our bodies were born pure, and are to remain pure. Adam & Eve and all that..we just weren't meant to have em...they are worldy and as Paul said we are to be In the world not Of it.
You would abandon everything you dont have when in heaven??? Dont be a fool. Your not going to wear clothes in heaven...which...I might add, are a direct sign of our SHAME for having become aware after eating the apples. So if you think are bodies are "pure" your simply not reading the Bible AT ALL. We COVER our nakedness before GOD. Adam and Eve were undressed until after sinning.

So strip off and live the rest of your life Starkers :laugh: clothes are far more a sign of sin then a Tattoo...as for Tattoos being used as Devient Symbology...care to enlighten us??? Know much about "devient subculture" do you?? Careful...because I do :ninja:

Vizion
08-04-2009, 11:05 PM
So strip off and live the rest of your life Starkers :laugh: clothes are far more a sign of sin then a Tattoo...as for Tattoos being used as Devient Symbology...care to enlighten us??? Know much about "devient subculture" do you?? Careful...because I do :ninja: I was going to respond to this...but I realize my time is far better served working on something that is actually productive.
I will only say I am still unconvinced that our tatoos are coming with us to the Kingdom of the Holy God.

Tyburn
08-04-2009, 11:12 PM
I was going to respond to this...but I realize my time is far better served working on something that is actually productive.
I will only say I am still unconvinced that our tatoos are coming with us to the Kingdom of the Holy God.
please, dont let me stop you :rolleyes:

Nobody said our Tattoos were coming with us, religious or otherwise...but to go mad about that and not notice the other, more biblical sins committed to the body is just picking and choosing.

warriorlion
08-04-2009, 11:22 PM

Whats just an excuse, that my tattoos are to glorify God???

If it was just an excuse then why do the three I have all do the very thing I said???

If I was making an excuse I would have all sorts of tatt's and only be bringing up the ones that bring glory to Him.

I am not 99.99999999999% of people. I agree that alot of people get then just because it is a fad, I will admit taht I first liked the idea of getting a tattoo because of a film where I saw a great tribal tattoo that I wanted (and hasten to add, never got)

But I got my tattoos to glorify God, its a physical mark that I will carry for the rest of my life, for me its much like the staff that wascaried in the OT, my tattoos mark aspects of what God has done for me.

They glorify God, they open doors for witness, thats fact not excuse.

As for the fact that we wont have them in heaven, I don't think the bible tells us that we will have these bodies in heaven either, as Dave said there are a lot of things that we will not have need of in heaven, that doesnt mean that we should forget about them here.

Health care for example, we will not need in heaven, so should we forget about it here on earth.

Our bodies were made pure???

Do you drink any alcohol, of caffine, eat anything sweet?? Anything processed???

"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man matt 15:11

Not that which goes into the mouth defileth the man. It is not the kind or quality of our food, nor the condition of our hands, that affects the soul with any moral pollution or defilement.

For me this is the same wth tattoos, its not what is on the outside but what is on the inside.

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
1 samuel 16:7

and since

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

james 1:17Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. (emphesis added)

then its stands for me that the same applies. You can judge me all you want for my tattoos, I am not ashamed of the Gospel or the one I love, and I stand with my tattoos to glorify God.

Vizion
08-04-2009, 11:33 PM
please, dont let me stop you :rolleyes:

Nobody said our Tattoos were coming with us, religious or otherwise...but to go mad about that and not notice the other, more biblical sins committed to the body is just picking and choosing.
Bah, that means nothing, I am not picking and choosing, I certainly DO recognise these sins...just don't care to wander off the subject.

I become bored very easy :laugh:

Vizion
08-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Whats just an excuse, that my tattoos are to glorify God???

If it was just an excuse then why do the three I have all do the very thing I said???

If I was making an excuse I would have all sorts of tatt's and only be bringing up the ones that bring glory to Him.

I am not 99.99999999999% of people. I agree that alot of people get then just because it is a fad, I will admit taht I first liked the idea of getting a tattoo because of a film where I saw a great tribal tattoo that I wanted (and hasten to add, never got)

But I got my tattoos to glorify God, its a physical mark that I will carry for the rest of my life, for me its much like the staff that wascaried in the OT, my tattoos mark aspects of what God has done for me.

They glorify God, they open doors for witness, thats fact not excuse.

As for the fact that we wont have them in heaven, I don't think the bible tells us that we will have these bodies in heaven either, as Dave said there are a lot of things that we will not have need of in heaven, that doesnt mean that we should forget about them here.

Health care for example, we will not need in heaven, so should we forget about it here on earth.

Our bodies were made pure???

Do you drink any alcohol, of caffine, eat anything sweet?? Anything processed???

"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man matt 15:11

Not that which goes into the mouth defileth the man. It is not the kind or quality of our food, nor the condition of our hands, that affects the soul with any moral pollution or defilement.

For me this is the same wth tattoos, its not what is on the outside but what is on the inside.

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
1 samuel 16:7

and since

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

james 1:17Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. (emphesis added)

then its stands for me that the same applies. You can judge me all you want for my tattoos, I am not ashamed of the Gospel or the one I love, and I stand with my tattoos to glorify God. Not judging you sir. Show me where I was judging...alls I said is they ain't comin with us, and now I know you agree :)

thekevineri
08-05-2009, 12:03 AM
MAN LOOKS AT THE OUTSIDE. GOD LOOKS AT THE HEART.

My mother resents me sometimes for my tattoos, claiming "I gave birth to a clean skinned son, the way God wanted."

If thats the case, then wouldn't she be doing the same thing by dying her hair? If God wanted people to go bald or grow grey hair, thats why they do, but their still allowed to...?

I agree with the comment about healthcare.

And in reply to your work that is Uplifiting to the Lord...
"Henceforth let no man trouble me; for I bear on my body the brand marks of Jesus." -Galatians 6:17

Tyburn
08-05-2009, 12:14 AM
INDEED :)

Tyburn
08-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Bah, that means nothing, I am not picking and choosing, I certainly DO recognise these sins...just don't care to wander off the subject.

I become bored very easy :laugh:
We arent wandering off the subject. They are interconnected in quite a serious way. Funny how you never hear Preaching on Clothes and Genesis...just like you never hear preaching on the spiritual fruits. They cant stop their blah about Creationalism, and Spiritual Gifts...but some quite serious points always get missed, and you kinda need a standpoint on them before you can properly give an answer to this question.

eric84
08-05-2009, 05:05 PM

My mother resents me sometimes for my tattoos, claiming "I gave birth to a clean skinned son, the way God wanted."

If thats the case, then wouldn't she be doing the same thing by dying her hair? If God wanted people to go bald or grow grey hair, thats why they do, but their still allowed to...?

I agree with the comment about healthcare.

And in reply to your work that is Uplifiting to the Lord...
"Henceforth let no man trouble me; for I bear on my body the brand marks of Jesus." -Galatians 6:17

I think there is a significant difference between dying your hair because of going grey and such, than tattoes. Dying your gray hair is because the degeneration of your Body, just like getting surgery to fix a messed up knee and things like that. While Tattoes are adding something that has no necessity and isn't about fixing the body God gave you.

As far as your scripture, Paul is not talking about Tattoes, its very possible he is talking about the marks from his persecution from preaching Jesus Christ.

Crisco
08-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I think there is a significant difference between dying your hair because of going grey and such, than tattoes. Dying your gray hair is because the degeneration of your Body, just like getting surgery to fix a messed up knee and things like that. While Tattoes are adding something that has no necessity and isn't about fixing the body God gave you.

As far as your scripture, Paul is not talking about Tattoes, its very possible he is talking about the marks from his persecution from preaching Jesus Christ.

dying your hair is just a vanity. It's no different then tat's.

Going grey is not a disability.

thekevineri
08-05-2009, 07:48 PM

...so your telling me that, my dad having knee surgery so he could continue walking, is the same thing as my mom going to the salon to have her grey hidden?

Do you beleive that insurance is a form of gambeling? What about if someone wears a wig, are they a liar for being bald?

So, if someone injects themselves with poision, is that wrong?
:huh:

So i guess God isn't happy about me going to chemo theropy?

And i wasn't saying that the marks he spoke of were tattoos....

Lines of perception i think are getting bent here...

eric84
08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
...so your telling me that, my dad having knee surgery so he could continue walking, is the same thing as my mom going to the salon to have her grey hidden?

Do you beleive that insurance is a form of gambeling? What about if someone wears a wig, are they a liar for being bald?

So, if someone injects themselves with poision, is that wrong?
:huh:

So i guess God isn't happy about me going to chemo theropy?

And i wasn't saying that the marks he spoke of were tattoos....

Lines of perception i think are getting bent here...

You seem to have alot of anger there. I compared them because they have in common the fact they come about because of our imperfect body, the degeneration of it. Yep, dying your hair is vain, no argument there, but it's also done by people trying to keep their body the same(I'm talking about same hair color here for gray people, not people that just want to look different than normal).

Insurance and gambling.... Don't see how we got onto that.
Where did I say someone would be a liar for wearing a wig?
If you inject yourself with poison to harm your body then yes, I think that's wrong.

Where did I say anything about you going to Chemo Therapy would make God angry? You are going to purge your body of things that are detrimental to your body, that is your intent, not to kill yourself. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through that, but your doing it so you can live. Getting a Tattoo isn't between life and death.

I think your reading alot more into the things I'm saying than what I really am.

Tyburn
08-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Actually the results are the same. It is something that can be used to show your true identity.

Dont forget the Beast will also have his mark. What that mark will actually be, is up for debate, maybe its a tattoo, maybe its a uniform...but there will be something so that The Anti-Christs supporters can be card carrying members of his regieme in some form.

Out of interest...what do you think of the mock crucifixitions that the Oriental Churches tend to specialize in around Easter? You know they cut the Christian down before he dies, obviously...but what about that? They of course then have the permanent scars. I have never really even looked into it. But I think I shall, and I shall start another thread about it :ninja: :laugh:

thekevineri
08-05-2009, 09:03 PM
You seem to have alot of anger there. I compared them because they have in common the fact they come about because of our imperfect body, the degeneration of it. Yep, dying your hair is vain, no argument there, but it's also done by people trying to keep their body the same(I'm talking about same hair color here for gray people, not people that just want to look different than normal).

Insurance and gambling.... Don't see how we got onto that.
Where did I say someone would be a liar for wearing a wig?
If you inject yourself with poison to harm your body then yes, I think that's wrong.

Where did I say anything about you going to Chemo Therapy would make God angry? You are going to purge your body of things that are detrimental to your body, that is your intent, not to kill yourself. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through that, but your doing it so you can live. Getting a Tattoo isn't between life and death.

I think your reading alot more into the things I'm saying than what I really am.

No, in no way at all am i angry. I actually read a ton of these, just the only reason i chimed in on this one is because me and my mother have this conversation constantly, and well, frankly, this gives me 3rd+ part opinion PLUS insight.

The poison thing was paired with the chemo thing. Chemo's a poison. I have mixed feelings on how that... don't want to thread terrorist and hijack this.

To answer your question about the wig statement simply, you never said it. I never put words in your mouth. I asked you. :)

...It wasn't out of anger i said what i said, i was putting them more as a point to more, well, how some of the 'parallels' have been drawn in this thread.

I may have a lot of tattoos, but everyone has a past.

and, if anything, a tattoo is closer to a medical procedure then hair dying... I've worked in shops before, i think half of the negativity around tattoos, is that people still view them as they did 5 years ago when they were "taboo," and 90% of tattooers gave them/us a bad wrap. IMO.

eric84
08-05-2009, 11:18 PM
No, in no way at all am i angry. I actually read a ton of these, just the only reason i chimed in on this one is because me and my mother have this conversation constantly, and well, frankly, this gives me 3rd+ part opinion PLUS insight.

The poison thing was paired with the chemo thing. Chemo's a poison. I have mixed feelings on how that... don't want to thread terrorist and hijack this.

To answer your question about the wig statement simply, you never said it. I never put words in your mouth. I asked you. :)

...It wasn't out of anger i said what i said, i was putting them more as a point to more, well, how some of the 'parallels' have been drawn in this thread.

I may have a lot of tattoos, but everyone has a past.

and, if anything, a tattoo is closer to a medical procedure then hair dying... I've worked in shops before, i think half of the negativity around tattoos, is that people still view them as they did 5 years ago when they were "taboo," and 90% of tattooers gave them/us a bad wrap. IMO.

Definitely agree there is the "taboo" about them, but I try not to be so biased because of things like that. The part about chemo and poison I think is what is the greater good. Chemo isn't good for your body we all know that, but it's deemed as the best thing for it under certain circumstances. Cutting open your knee isn't the smartest thing, but if a doctor is doing it to repair it, I see that as the best thing. To me there isn't really a "best" thing for tattoo's, you put ink into your body when there really isn't any need at all. Do we all do things like that, of course, and Tattoo's are alot more cultural with certain people compared to others. But in my view, regardless if it's cultural or not I still think it's wrong. But i don't think it's going to keep someone from Heaven, hehe.

warriorlion
08-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Definitely agree there is the "taboo" about them, but I try not to be so biased because of things like that. The part about chemo and poison I think is what is the greater good. Chemo isn't good for your body we all know that, but it's deemed as the best thing for it under certain circumstances. Cutting open your knee isn't the smartest thing, but if a doctor is doing it to repair it, I see that as the best thing. To me there isn't really a "best" thing for tattoo's, you put ink into your body when there really isn't any need at all. Do we all do things like that, of course, and Tattoo's are alot more cultural with certain people compared to others. But in my view, regardless if it's cultural or not I still think it's wrong. But i don't think it's going to keep someone from Heaven, hehe.

WAS a taboo.

Now tattoos are ten a penny, and only old folk still see a taboo.

I believe that being in the world but not of it means that we must relate to the world, but not live like them. Tattoos can open the door to people that otherwise would not give you the time of day.

Chris F
08-06-2009, 09:50 PM
WAS a taboo.

Now tattoos are ten a penny, and only old folk still see a taboo.

I believe that being in the world but not of it means that we must relate to the world, but not live like them. Tattoos can open the door to people that otherwise would not give you the time of day.

This is true. I do not openly display mine but in the summer I wear more tank tops and then I can't really cover them. Most people know I am a preacher. When they have avoided me like a plauge before, when they see my tats they suddenly open up and it has allowed me to share the gospel and share my testimony on where God has brought me from.

Conrad
08-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Paul, Acts 17:29...
"Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. "

Though this applies to use of symbols in addition to tattooing...I think (opinion) it applies to tattoos as well. It's used to demonstrate why we don't use the "trinity knot" (an occult symbol) or other symbols that were later adopted long after the first century. So does that apply to having a verse tattooed? Probably not...it's text. For humour's sake, wouldn't that be THE verse to have tattooed?

Tyburn
08-09-2009, 06:14 AM
It's used to demonstrate why we don't use the "trinity knot" (an occult symbol)
Are you sure of that? Are you sure that that particular Symbol isnt absolutely everywhere in Churches?

I grant you its hidden well, but its there. It usually adorns the arches and is seen on a lot of furniture, but you only see the outline that looks like a three leaf clover. often its built into the tops of Church window Frames, and the arches surrounding Saints or other Ikons

ITS EVERYWHERE IN A CHURCH, BUT ITS SO SUBTLE ITS ALWAYS MISSED AS JUST FRILLY DECOR

So "we" use that symbol to represent the Trinity all the time

It can be as subtle as the tops of these window arches

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/664/42502193hzvkgcph.jpg (http://img196.imageshack.us/i/42502193hzvkgcph.jpg/)

The Egg shapes have become rings, and you see the curved tops of the three? do you see it...or not? This might help you see it more clearly, the clover leaf

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5851/brianakirasealtrinitysh.jpg (http://img33.imageshack.us/i/brianakirasealtrinitysh.jpg/)

Conrad
08-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Are you sure of that? Are you sure that that particular Symbol isnt absolutely everywhere in Churches?

Sorry, I was referring to origin, not later adoption. No matter how widespread it is now, that doesn't change the origin. Sorry to have been unclear. Also, maybe I should have said "pagan."

Anyway, that's about symbols. The point was in the verse. Regarding the tattoos, the original question was about tattoos and tattooing a verse (text). I spoke up `cuz I've seen ppl decorate the texts.

--------------

Chris F: -- way to engage w/ppl. Nice. The Hebrew text tattoo wedding rings are kinda interesting too, if you've seen those.

Tyburn
08-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Sorry, I was referring to origin, not later adoption. No matter how widespread it is now, that doesn't change the origin. Sorry to have been unclear. Also, maybe I should have said "pagan."

Anyway, that's about symbols. The point was in the verse. Regarding the tattoos, the original question was about tattoos and tattooing a verse (text). I spoke up `cuz I've seen ppl decorate the texts.

--------------

Chris F: -- way to engage w/ppl. Nice. The Hebrew text tattoo wedding rings are kinda interesting too, if you've seen those.
Here is a thought for you. Symbols are physical tokens without an meaning at all. We ascribe meaning to them to make them ikons which point to something. Now the same Symbol can have many VALID different meanings. The Celtic Church actually still use the original design of the Celtic Knot.

This would work for Tattoos also. The meaning is not in the Symbol, its in the author of it on any particular occasion, and the reader of it, not even they always aggree at any one time.

I take the Nazi German Signiture and say to you that there are Churches in this very town that are decorated, or have it on their fronts, above the door. It was a symbol of divine protection and good fortune LONG before Adolf Hitler stole it.

So even if I were to decorate my body with symbols that might have been used by someone else, possibly with an evil meaning, it truely depends on what meaning I ascribe to it.

The whole fact that the same symbol can mean different things, mean that essentially they all mean nothing without some point of interpretation. Do you follow?

Mike1983
08-12-2009, 12:37 AM
I have 8 tattoos and I'm proud of each one of them. The OT prohibition was not a moral issue, but a ceremonial one to set apart the Jewish nation from the Gentiles....the ceremonial laws were fulfilled by Christ on the cross, and as we are not Jewish converts (at least the majority aren't) we are called to obey the MORAL law of God as believers...but even that can only be done by the power of the Holy Spirit and by the grace of God...

but yeah i love tats, but I'm WAY to broke to think of getting any more!

fightpastor
08-28-2009, 03:46 PM
First off, great explanation on the verse in Leviticus. It is the most frequently used argument against tattoos but needs to be understood in its context which is actually addressing pagan worship.

Second, people regret tattoos they got impulsively. If you get a tattoo make sure it tells a story for you. That way years from now when people ask you about it, rather than regret getting it, you will be given the opportunity to share that story.

I have a bunch of "tats" and each one represents a spiritual mile marker moment in my life. When asked, each one triggers a missional moment as I explain it.

www.fightpastor.com

TheConcretekid
08-28-2009, 04:30 PM
From now on let no harm come to me: for I bear in my body the marks of Christ on my flesh

Galatians 6:17

Tyburn
08-28-2009, 05:28 PM
First off, great explanation on the verse in Leviticus. It is the most frequently used argument against tattoos but needs to be understood in its context which is actually addressing pagan worship.

Second, people regret tattoos they got impulsively. If you get a tattoo make sure it tells a story for you. That way years from now when people ask you about it, rather than regret getting it, you will be given the opportunity to share that story.

I have a bunch of "tats" and each one represents a spiritual mile marker moment in my life. When asked, each one triggers a missional moment as I explain it.
www.fightpastor.com
:w00t: Mine also! :)