PDA

View Full Version : For all you

Spiritwalker
07-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Twilight Fans...

I hated that movie.. with a passion.. seems like someone else shared my views but found a great way to express it!!!

http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Blade-Twilight.jpg

Llamafighter
07-24-2009, 11:40 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mikthehick
07-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Maybe I live under a rock but....I'm a huge Harry Potter Fan, I've never read a Twilight book, or seen the movies.....

But people all over the place say that I jeopordize my Christian walk by liking HP. An old friend of mine said that HP has witchcraft, but Twilight is fine. But isn't it about vampires? Just saying...

Boomer
07-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Twilight Fans...

I hated that movie.. with a passion.. seems like someone else shared my views but found a great way to express it!!!

http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Blade-Twilight.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

County Mike
07-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Maybe I live under a rock but....I'm a huge Harry Potter Fan, I've never read a Twilight book, or seen the movies.....

But people all over the place say that I jeopordize my Christian walk by liking HP. An old friend of mine said that HP has witchcraft, but Twilight is fine. But isn't it about vampires? Just saying...

I don't think you jeapordize your christianity by liking fiction about witchcraft, vampires, or whatever. As long as you understand it's just a move, just entertainment, I don't see the problem.

Now if you get crazy about it and start chanting spells or drinking blood, you might have a problem.

Spiritwalker
07-26-2009, 03:45 AM
Now if you get crazy about it and start chanting spells or drinking blood, you might have a problem.

So Baby Jay Penn is a witch??
or warlock.. as it were..

mikthehick
07-26-2009, 05:08 AM
I don't think you jeapordize your christianity by liking fiction about witchcraft, vampires, or whatever. As long as you understand it's just a move, just entertainment, I don't see the problem.

Aw crap, I forgot my nightly ritual of boiling cat brains that I learned from potions class.....

Kidding. But yeah, obviously I understand that HP and Twilight is fiction....people say don't judge a book by its cover, but with all the hype over Twilight, something about it makes me really uncomfortable. HP def. has uber fans, but the Twilight madness is getting to be ridiculous.

warriorlion
08-03-2009, 09:41 AM
I have seen all the harry potter movies, but had a issue with it before I saw them simply because it blurs the line of witchcraft, makes it look like its a good thing.

Think it can be dangerous for children who get the impression that the occulot is something cool they can dabble in.

Like someone said, if it stays as entertainment, then there is no issue, and with vampires, since they are not 'real' (as in the true vampires, not people that pretend) its seen as less of an issue.

I think most of it depends on your own stand point, especially when it comes to your christianity.

atomdanger
08-04-2009, 01:20 AM
The lady who wrote Twilight is a Mormon.

I don't know why reading a book has anything to do with religious beliefs.
Although, I love the Ann Rice vampire chronicles and she stopped writing about them when she found god.

warriorlion
08-04-2009, 08:23 PM
The lady who wrote Twilight is a Mormon.

I don't know why reading a book has anything to do with religious beliefs.
Although, I love the Ann Rice vampire chronicles and she stopped writing about them when she found god.

I personally dont think it does, but for some issues, there is a blurring the lines of what is ok, l|I know some will argue that vampirism could be classed as one of those, but for most people and a lot of christians, vampires werewolves and frankenstien dont, but witchcraft and wizardry does, because of the occult.

I dont know.

que
08-05-2009, 06:37 PM
if people think HP makes witchcraft look like a good thing then you could say the same things about the star wars movies when they use the force to summon objects and stuff (luke when he magically summoned his lightsaber from the snow when the snowmonster was coming) you can say the same thing about alot of movies actually

rearnakedchoke
08-05-2009, 07:06 PM
if people think HP makes witchcraft look like a good thing then you could say the same things about the star wars movies when they use the force to summon objects and stuff (luke when he magically summoned his lightsaber from the snow when the snowmonster was coming) you can say the same thing about alot of movies actually
what about Lonestar using the Schwartz???

VCURamFan
08-05-2009, 07:22 PM
if people think HP makes witchcraft look like a good thing then you could say the same things about the star wars movies when they use the force to summon objects and stuff (luke when he magically summoned his lightsaber from the snow when the snowmonster was coming) you can say the same thing about alot of movies actuallyI agree. When the first HP movie came out, one of the Moms at church forced her son (one of my best friends) to pass out a bunch of leaflets with scriptures on it against witchcraft. The ironic thing is that she adores the LotR trilogoy. I'm not really sure how she sqaures that one...:unsure-1:

Crisco
08-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I agree. When the first HP movie came out, one of the Moms at church forced her son (one of my best friends) to pass out a bunch of leaflets with scriptures on it against witchcraft. The ironic thing is that she adores the LotR trilogoy. I'm not really sure how she sqaures that one...:unsure-1:

Maybe you should ask her.

Confronting ignorance is definately on the list of good deeds.

warriorlion
08-06-2009, 08:37 AM

I never said I agree with it, I used to, but my mind changed when I really looked at it.

I think it is dangerous to blur the lines on the occult, yeah, but i dont think that a movie or book is the root cause.

As for LotR, people excuse that because it was writen by a christian, as was the naria cronicles

County Mike
08-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Just watched "Twilight" last night. I don't really see what all the fuss is about. It was an OK movie, but nothing really special. "True Blood" on HBO seems like a much more interesting story to me.

I don't think I'm sinning by watching though. :)

mikthehick
08-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I never said I agree with it, I used to, but my mind changed when I really looked at it.

I think it is dangerous to blur the lines on the occult, yeah, but i dont think that a movie or book is the root cause.

As for LotR, people excuse that because it was writen by a christian, as was the naria cronicles

Narnia was written by C.S. Lewis, a prolific Christian writer who wrote lots of books on apologetics, such as "Mere Christianity", "The Abolition of Man", and "The Weight of Glory".

He's a fantastic writer, and yes I love LOTR and JRR Tolkien as well. What yall already said is true, they do use witchcraft and evil in these books. I don't see how it's really any different from HP and Twilight.

I'm not sure I'd enjoy Twilight b/c it's almost "too" popular now, but it's a fantasy. So long as people understand that these books have lessons to teach and aren't real.

It gets a bit hairy when people start to think that vampires, warewolves, and magical creatures really exist....:wacko:

ufcfan2
08-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Just watched "Twilight" last night. I don't really see what all the fuss is about. It was an OK movie, but nothing really special. "True Blood" on HBO seems like a much more interesting story to me.

I don't think I'm sinning by watching though. :)
I think most ppl are spoiled on Blade/Underworld and think all vampire movies should be about slaying vamps and lycans. Twilight is just a teenage romance movie and for some reason the hardcore vamp lovers take offense to it..Really,its her creative idea and her take on the vampire world and shes entitled to it.
I personally didnt care for the movie,it was okay;but nuthin' special imo. I don't hate it 'cause its not like Blade/UW just not all about the whole mushy romance stuff.

Now I somewhat enjoyed Laura K. Hamiltons vampire series: Anita Blake until about book 7 then it just turned into smut material imo.
* I have never seen a HP movie not one.

que
08-06-2009, 06:00 PM
what about Lonestar using the Schwartz???

:laugh:

rearnakedchoke
08-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Well, the devil does like to disguise himself to get airtime .. these types of books/movies are just another venue for the devil to get his message across ... its not so much an effect on adults, but children take this stuff literally and it moves them away from the reality of God ... another big one is Football .. yes, football ... strategically placed on Sunday and Saturday(the NFL targets Christians while the college ball targets the Jews) .. these are days we should be praying and reflecting on God yet people are consumed with watching football ...

warriorlion
08-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, the devil does like to disguise himself to get airtime .. these types of books/movies are just another venue for the devil to get his message across ... its not so much an effect on adults, but children take this stuff literally and it moves them away from the reality of God ... another big one is Football .. yes, football ... strategically placed on Sunday and Saturday(the NFL targets Christians while the college ball targets the Jews) .. these are days we should be praying and reflecting on God yet people are consumed with watching football ...

do I sense sarcasm here???

since MMA is on a saturday night, and since I am at least 5 hours ahead of the shows, its on at 3am sunday morning for me, therefore if I watch it cuts out church sunday morning

atomdanger
08-06-2009, 11:38 PM

Well you might as well then say you can't watch any movies with sinning in them at all.

lyndsey823
08-07-2009, 08:27 AM
I was against the whole Twilight thing. Thought it was lame, ridiculous, stupid, etc. When the previews came out for the movie, I was like, "what the heck is this crap and why is everyone freaking out?" I just didn't get it. My mom read the whole series of books about 3 months ago in 2 weeks. I just laughed at her for being 49 and reading a teenager book. Then I got really sick and she convinced me to read it. I fell hook, line and sinker for it. I have to admit, the books were excellent. The first one started out really, really slow but picked up and I couldn't put it down. They were really well written, exciting, and honestly, I didn't want them to end. I was really surprised how much I loved the books. She did a great job on them. I love to read, and have read tons of books of all types, and these have to be 4 of the best books I have read.

However, the movie was TERRIBLE!!!!! So much was left out, it was cheesy, just awful. Those books just have so much that you can't possibly fit all the back stories and details in a 2 hour movie. I am sure it's like the LOTR books, important parts get left out, changed, tweaked, it was dissapointing. I mean, the 4th book is almost 800 pages. How is that going to make a decent movie? So yeah, I can see how anyone who hasn't read the books can watch that movie and think it is lame.

Spiritwalker
08-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I was against the whole Twilight thing. Thought it was lame, ridiculous, stupid, etc. When the previews came out for the movie, I was like, "what the heck is this crap and why is everyone freaking out?" I just didn't get it. My mom read the whole series of books about 3 months ago in 2 weeks. I just laughed at her for being 49 and reading a teenager book. Then I got really sick and she convinced me to read it. I fell hook, line and sinker for it. I have to admit, the books were excellent. The first one started out really, really slow but picked up and I couldn't put it down. They were really well written, exciting, and honestly, I didn't want them to end. I was really surprised how much I loved the books. She did a great job on them. I love to read, and have read tons of books of all types, and these have to be 4 of the best books I have read.

However, the movie was TERRIBLE!!!!! So much was left out, it was cheesy, just awful. Those books just have so much that you can't possibly fit all the back stories and details in a 2 hour movie. I am sure it's like the LOTR books, important parts get left out, changed, tweaked, it was dissapointing. I mean, the 4th book is almost 800 pages. How is that going to make a decent movie? So yeah, I can see how anyone who hasn't read the books can watch that movie and think it is lame.

But you should have to read the books to enjoy the movie. Each should be considered stand alone.. IMO

Watchmen and LoTR were great as (well Watchmen was good) as movies.. But the books were excellent.

rearnakedchoke
08-07-2009, 02:25 PM
do I sense sarcasm here???

since MMA is on a saturday night, and since I am at least 5 hours ahead of the shows, its on at 3am sunday morning for me, therefore if I watch it cuts out church sunday morning
you can always PVR it and watch it at a different time ... I will pray for you ...

lyndsey823
08-07-2009, 11:17 PM
But you should have to read the books to enjoy the movie. Each should be considered stand alone.. IMO

Watchmen and LoTR were great as (well Watchmen was good) as movies.. But the books were excellent.

i agree. and i am not saying the Twilight books were on any level near the LoTR books, or any other classics. they were just great, entertaining books, plain and simple. plus, you have no name people doing these movies. not people of peter jackson's caliber.

and they are targeting a totally different audience. teenage girls don't want to watch something like LoTR, they want to watch something with a hot guy with his shirt off. which, by the way, the book hardly mentions him with his shirt off, lol.