PDA

View Full Version : Books (recommendations, reviews, etc)

Black Mamba
01-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Starting over from stratch. :D

I don't really have that much time to read anymore, but when I do read, I enjoy psychological thrillers, horror, Harry Potter series, and humor. Basically anything except romance, I'm not a huge romance reader.

VCURamFan
01-22-2009, 01:26 AM
I got Blood in the Cage for Christmas, and it was phenomenal. It was as good, if not better, as Fighter's heart, and it has the added bonus of also being a biography of Pat Miletich. The one thing I didn't like was when he takled about Matt starting the H.I.T. Squad, he only focuses on Rothwell's bitterness & never talks to anyone from Matt's gym. Other than that, it's agreat read.

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Harry Potter series, and humor.

aren't those one in the same? :D

mikthehick
01-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Stuff I'm reading now (pretty much because I'm sitting here on my bed staring at them.....

--Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy--Gerald Corey
--The Art of Integrative Counseling--same dude
--Integrative Counseling CD--ROM

I just finished my cosmo magazine today--I'm big into the crazy girl articles :), but I really really really want to read "A Fighter's Heart" which I got for Christmas....maybe after I finish the 35 pages I need to write for one of my 3 classes....

I'm drowning in hw, but it's all good--I'll be able to help and counsel people in a few years ;)

Oh yeah, I'm also reading some Christian romance novels that Amy lendt me, and they are awesome! That's it for now.

Love,
the Doerrk :rolleyes:

VCURamFan
01-22-2009, 04:20 AM
O yeah, well for current reading, this is what I've got on tap:

What is Meaning?: Fundamentals of Formal Semantics
Johnson v. Texas: Justice Brennan's opinion
Epistomology: An Anthology

CAVEMAN
01-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Ammunition For Piercing The Armor of The Philosophy of Evolution by Norm Sharbaugh.

Chris F
01-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Bret Hart Biography
The Appeal- John Grisham
The Haunted Mesa- Louie L'Amour
The Godfathers Revenge

These are the last 4 I have read or am reading now

After 7 years of college I can finally read for enjoyment and not for a class.

warriorlion
01-28-2009, 08:24 PM
far too many to list really, I devour books, guess with a new baby that will either stop or I will plow even more with the sleepless nights of rocking baby to sleep.

Anyways:-

Naria cronicals
Lord of the RIngs

always great read and re reads

I love Andy Mcnab books just got done with his new thriller, good addition to the series.

Just also finished an amazing war book called Apache - you have got to read it if you love military stories (real life)

could go on and on

Will say one thing

If you were thinking of Reading Tito's book, forget it, dont waste your time - read Chucks and Randy's, and Matts of course great reads

Tyburn
01-28-2009, 09:51 PM
The Historian by Kostova :w00t:

hizo64
01-31-2009, 12:23 AM
I love non-fiction books, I love reading! here are some of my favs

A River Runs Through It- Norman Maclean

The Pianist- Wladyslaw Szpilman

Beethoven: The Universal Composer (Eminent Lives)- Edmund Morris

Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder- Arnold Schwarzenegger

A bunch of Van Gogh books

One Shot-One Kill- Charles W. Sasser and Craig Roberts

too many to list!

jignpig
01-31-2009, 02:14 AM
generation kill. great book

mikthehick
02-03-2009, 01:38 PM
My friend Jen just gave me the "Shack", it was a NY times bestseller and is highly regarded. Anyone else read it??

cubsfan47
02-07-2009, 08:10 PM
A People's History Of The Civil War: Struggles For The Meaning of Freedom by David Wiliiams.

This one was written from the viewpoint of the common soldier, their families, generally the poor people on both sides. Uses letters, diaries, etc. for evidence. You won't look at that conflict the same way. To think, we did that to ourselves.

On a lighter note: Baseball Chicago Style. :tongue0011: For all the Cubs haters.

matthughesfan21
02-07-2009, 09:01 PM
A People's History Of The Civil War: Struggles For The Meaning of Freedom by David Wiliiams.

This one was written from the viewpoint of the common soldier, their families, generally the poor people on both sides. Uses letters, diaries, etc. for evidence. You won't look at that conflict the same way. To think, we did that to ourselves.

On a lighter note: Baseball Chicago Style. :tongue0011: For all the Cubs haters.I like you already, we'll get along just fine if you keep saying that:laugh:

Black Mamba
02-07-2009, 09:34 PM
generation kill. great book

Ditto. I had that book done in two days.

There's another military book I enjoyed reading, it was about the Marine's top sniper and I forgot the title.

Another book I really enjoy is The Art of War. :cool:

Josh
02-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Ditto. I had that book done in two days.

There's another military book I enjoyed reading, it was about the Marine's top sniper and I forgot the title.

Another book I really enjoy is The Art of War. :cool:
Was it Marine Sniper about Carlos Hathock? That is a great book.

hizo64
02-10-2009, 07:27 PM

Ya I listed that one, One Shot-One Kill, awesome book

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Well, after watching Fireproof the other night.....
I went out and bought The Love Dare
Tomorrow is Day 1 of the 40 day test!!!!

Also reading Uncommon by Tony Dungy

Black Mamba
02-14-2009, 09:47 PM

I found it! :) It was this one:

Shooter by Jack Coughlin, Casey Kuhlman, and Donald A. Davis

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HGM6XM0ZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Black Mamba
02-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Oh and I'm also reading the Art of the Fart.

lyndsey823
02-17-2009, 05:44 AM
My friend Jen just gave me the "Shack", it was a NY times bestseller and is highly regarded. Anyone else read it??

i read it a couple of months ago, it was pretty good. the middle got a little drawn out and kind of confusing for me. but the end was great, i bawled my eyes out. a couple of my girl friends and i have been passing it along to someone else, so my mom is reading it now. it could have been better, but i guess so could most books!

TheConcretekid
03-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I highly recommend:

"Fear and Trembling" by Soren Kierkegaard (A 19th century Danish existentialist)

An entire book about Gen 22, the story of Abraham and Issac, and the Absurd. Kind of a tough read, but will probably blow your mind.

and

"Slaughterhouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut (A WWII vet and one of Americas most prolific authors of our lifetime)

The (semi-autobiographical) story of an American POW who survived the allied bombings of Dresden, and his return to the States coping with his experiences. NOT your average war novel. Has elements of sci-fi, fourth dimensionalism, free will, quietism, and has been the center of much controversy, censorship and bans; it is also on the American Library Association's list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2000.

Tyburn
03-10-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm reading "A fighters heart" its...FAR more heavy then I thought it would be...but its an interesting read.

I've picked up some new foreign words to use from it at least :laugh:

trust his first words about MFS to be something like "I didnt really talk much to Jens Pulver though" :angry: *throws book down in disgust and cries in the corner at the lost cameo * :laugh:

Llamafighter
03-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm reading "A fighters heart" its...FAR more heavy then I thought it would be...but its an interesting read.

trust his first words about MFS to be something like "I didnt really talk much to Jens Pulver though" :angry: *throws book down in disgust and cries in the corner at the lost cameo * :laugh:

"...picks up jens' book and rereads for the 50th time* :laugh:

TheConcretekid
03-10-2009, 07:29 PM

My new life motto is a relatively heavy quote from that book:
"When given the choice between doing something and not doing it, you have to do it, because you already did the 'not do it' part."

bradwright
03-10-2009, 08:12 PM
two very good books are,

Kane and Able.

Rich Man Poor Man.

Tyburn
03-10-2009, 11:08 PM
"...picks up jens' book and rereads for the 50th time* :laugh:
add an extra Zero to that figure please :rolleyes:

:ashamed:

mikthehick
03-11-2009, 04:42 AM
I'm staying down in Lynchburg Va for a time, and I got a free book at my school called "Building the Faith" by Jerry Falwell. I know lots of people have an opinion of him and stuff, but it is a devotional book and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Also about to start "A Fighter's Heart" and "The Shack" as soon as I'm done with these 2 classes.....looking forward to taking it easy from school for awhile:w00t:

Llamafighter
04-13-2009, 05:45 PM
add an extra Zero to that figure please :rolleyes:

:ashamed:

LOL
I'm about 15 pages from the end of A Fighter's Heart and I REALLY liked it. I totally relate to his obsession with fighting. I think fear has always brought me back to training. I want to be confident that if I ever needed to defend myself or my loved ones I could. The parts about him and Pat Militech were really cool. Pat seems like a great guy and that seems to be the unanimous opinion on the man.
I highly recommend thsi book to anyone interested in fighting or self reflection.

flo
04-15-2009, 08:50 AM
My brother got me Blood in the Cage for my birthday last month. I liked reading about Pat Miletich and the old days of the UFC, since I didn't know much about either one. But I was really turned off by the author's treatment of Matt, those awful quotes by Ben Rothman after Matt left his camp and he got several things wrong (one was where the author said Matt won the belt from GSP, WTH???).

I think it was particularly unfair the way he portrayed Matt leaving and starting his own gym; Matt has said he only wants to fight Serra and then retire, what is he supposed to do, keep going to Bettendorf? It seems to me that one of the great things about being a champion would be having your OWN gym, in your OWN town, close to your family and friends. He's earned it by the blood, sweat and tears of fighting almost 50 fights but in the book it was implied that he was somehow disloyal for leaving Miletich Fighting Systems.

I'm not saying that Pat felt that way, I hope he didn't. But the author sure presented Matt in a poor light, that's my take anyway, FWIW.

flo
04-15-2009, 08:51 AM
The Historian by Kostova :w00t:

Yeah, that's an awesome book!

Neezar
04-15-2009, 11:45 AM
My brother got me Blood in the Cage for my birthday last month. I liked reading about Pat Miletich and the old days of the UFC, since I didn't know much about either one. But I was really turned off by the author's treatment of Matt, those awful quotes by Ben Rothman after Matt left his camp and he got several things wrong (one was where the author said Matt won the belt from GSP, WTH???).

I think it was particularly unfair the way he portrayed Matt leaving and starting his own gym; Matt has said he only wants to fight Serra and then retire, what is he supposed to do, keep going to Bettendorf? It seems to me that one of the great things about being a champion would be having your OWN gym, in your OWN town, close to your family and friends. He's earned it by the blood, sweat and tears of fighting almost 50 fights but in the book it was implied that he was somehow disloyal for leaving Miletich Fighting Systems.

I'm not saying that Pat felt that way, I hope he didn't. But the author sure presented Matt in a poor light, that's my take anyway, FWIW.

:w00t: Hey, Flo! I have been busy and didn't realize that you were back. Nice to have you around again.

Tyburn
04-15-2009, 12:51 PM

I havent read that one yet. I've read a Fighters Heart, and I'm reading the Kelly Crigger book.

But I will get round to reading it, and when I do I'll tell you what I think :laugh:

Tyburn
04-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah, that's an awesome book!
:happydancing: yes, yes it is! :)

Llamafighter
04-15-2009, 01:52 PM

BJ took the belt from Matt then left the UFC to go fight HW. GSP and Matt then fought for the belt, right (their first meeting was a #1 contender/interim champ fight)? Then Matt whooped BJ's arse to make it absolutely official.

flo
04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
:w00t: Hey, Flo! I have been busy and didn't realize that you were back. Nice to have you around again.

Thanks, Denise!!

I've been lurking at night lately; after the change in servers, I got assigned back to Noobie status. :laugh: :frantics: :frantics:

flo
04-15-2009, 07:20 PM
BJ took the belt from Matt then left the UFC to go fight HW. GSP and Matt then fought for the belt, right (their first meeting was a #1 contender/interim champ fight)? Then Matt whooped BJ's arse to make it absolutely official.
Yes, so he didn't "win" the belt from GSP. It was "up for grabs", so to speak. :happydancing:

flo
04-15-2009, 07:24 PM

I'm going to have to get that one, it sounds good.

mikthehick
04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm about to start a Fighter's Heart. I'm also reading LOTR currently as well, should be awesome.

Just finished the Shack, and it was pretty great, in raising a lot of questions about how we view God and all that. I won't get into it, but everyone should read it.

VCURamFan
04-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I liked Fighter's Heart & Blood in the Cage, but Fighter's heart was better. It was about a man's personal experience & growth through martial arts. Blood in the Cage was just a history of the spotr through the eyes of a sports writer. Well written & interesting, but not as good, in my opinion.

Llamafighter
04-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I liked Fighter's Heart & Blood in the Cage, but Fighter's heart was better. It was about a man's personal experience & growth through martial arts. Blood in the Cage was just a history of the spotr through the eyes of a sports writer. Well written & interesting, but not as good, in my opinion.

That's good enough for me!
*Mark throws his just purchased copy of Blood in the Cage into the garbage, having already read A Fighter's Heart*

VCURamFan
04-15-2009, 08:08 PM
That's good enough for me!
*Mark throws his just purchased copy of Blood in the Cage into the garbage, having already read A Fighter's Heart*Hahaha. Glad to hear I have such a strong influence. Now send my $50!

Llamafighter
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Yes, so he didn't "win" the belt from GSP. It was "up for grabs", so to speak. :happydancing:

The belt was up for grabs and by winning Matt said "GOINK" and took it from him;)
It's all relative.
If it were phrased "took the belt from..." I would agree:)

VCURamFan
04-15-2009, 08:11 PM
The belt was up for grabs and by winning Matt said "GOINK" and took it from him;)
It's all relative.
If it were phrased "took the belt from..." I would agree:)I believe that's about the most technical description of that fight I'v ever heard!!

flo
04-15-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm about to start a Fighter's Heart. I'm also reading LOTR currently as well, should be awesome.

I love LOTR, it's one of my all-time favorites along with The Hobbit.

I'm a little bit afraid of boxers but Monty is gorgeous, he can really jump!!

Llamafighter
04-15-2009, 08:21 PM
I believe that's about the most technical description of that fight I'v ever heard!!

Thanks! I write for yahoo sports:unsure-1:

Llamafighter
04-15-2009, 08:23 PM

boxers are the sweetest! My roomate in college had one and it always slept in my room. They get horrible gas but besides that they are AWESOME!
If you want one Preach has a thousand at his house:)

flo
04-15-2009, 08:51 PM
It's all relative.
If it were phrased "took the belt from..." I would agree:)

Heh, heh, you're right, I misremembered it. :Whistle:

I get feisty if I think someone's dissing Matt :ninja: .

Llamafighter
04-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Heh, heh, you're right, I misremembered it. :Whistle:

I get feisty if I think someone's dissing Matt :ninja: .

No worries:)

On May 23rd Matt's going to say "GOINK" and beat Serra into bloody submission!!

flo
04-15-2009, 08:55 PM
boxers are the sweetest! My roomate in college had one and it always slept in my room.

That's good to know, I'd love to have one but we already have 2 spaniels and 3 cats.

flo
04-15-2009, 08:59 PM

On May 23rd Matt's going to say "GOINK" and beat Serra into bloody submission!!

Oh yeah, I can't wait!! Finances are a little tight right now but we are definitely getting the fight on Saturday and Matt's fight.

Plus I am hoping Evans gets his a$$ kicked too. :punch:

mikthehick
04-15-2009, 09:03 PM

LOTR is the jam :D

Thanks tho, he just started jumping one day. His record from a standing position is 9 feet.

My parents got him a week after the other one passed, and he was about 2 years old then, now he's probably 6-7 years, but his unofficial bday is April 15, which is today. So I'm starting a Monty Python fan club. He has his own Myspace too....

One of these days I'm going to buy a pup from Ben Preach. I can't wait!

Llamafighter
04-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh yeah, I can't wait!! Finances are a little tight right now but we are definitely getting the fight on Saturday and Matt's fight.

Plus I am hoping Evans gets his a$$ kicked too. :punch:

I'm taking a basket to the fights so I can catch Serra, and Rashad's heads when they get knocked off!!

flo
04-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm taking a basket to the fights so I can catch Serra, and Rashad's heads when they get knocked off!!
Oh, you are so lucky to be going!!! One of these days we're gonna make it to a live fight.:happy0159:

Tyburn
04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
I got assigned back to Noobie status. :laugh: :frantics: :frantics:
it happened to us all :mellow:

...yes...even yours truely :blink:

VCURamFan
04-16-2009, 02:00 AM

On May 23rd Matt's going to say "GOINK" and beat Serra into bloody submission!!I hereby officially begin the petition requesting Matt to shout "GOINK!" at the beginning of each round, just to get in sarah's head!!!:w00t: :happydancing:

Tyburn
04-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I hereby officially begin the petition requesting Matt to shout "GOINK!" at the beginning of each round, just to get in sarah's head!!!:w00t: :happydancing:
:laugh: I counter sign :happydancing:

Llamafighter
06-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Well I just finished the book I bought less than a week ago. For those of you who do not remember, Marcus was in Matt's corner for the Serra fight. I wish I'd read (or even knew about) this book beforehand because I would have taken the opportunity to shake this amazing soldier's hand. I don't know that I could truly describe how powerful hsi story is but lets just say it single handedly changed my thoughts on a lot of issues surrounding the war in Afghanistan.

Go out and get this book. It is an amazing account of one the deadliest days in SEAL history told by the lone survivor of The Battle of Murphy's Ridge. It's a story of survival and Lutrell's miraculous journey back home. Marcus is a proud Texan and an unapologetic patriot of our country. He's also one bad dude when the bullets start flying, but he'd be the last one to take any credit for his heroism. His humble and self deprecating manner gives this book a lot of humorous moments and the narrative feels as though you're sitting on Marcus' ranch, listening to him tell ya the story personally.

I typically take a while to read books. I'll read in 20 minute spurts traveling to and from work on the train, and usually a half an hour or so before bedtime. There were serveral nights that I finally put the book down and realized that I had been reading for 2 hours straight. I imagine some day they'll make a film about this (ala Black Hawk Down), but I honestly cannot see how they'd do it justice, without us all having to go through psychological treatment after watching. I also don't see hwo they could find actors that could honestly portray the sort of heroism that Marcus writes about.

TexasRN
06-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Well I just finished the book I bought less than a week ago. For those of you who do not remember, Marcus was in Matt's corner for the Serra fight. I wish I'd read (or even knew about) this book beforehand because I would have taken the opportunity to shake this amazing soldier's hand. I don't know that I could truly describe how powerful hsi story is but lets just say it single handedly changed my thoughts on a lot of issues surrounding the war in Afghanistan.

Go out and get this book. It is an amazing account of one the deadliest days in SEAL history told by the lone survivor of The Battle of Murphy's Ridge. It's a story of survival and Lutrell's miraculous journey back home. Marcus is a proud Texan and an unapologetic patriot of our country. He's also one bad dude when the bullets start flying, but he'd be the last one to take any credit for his heroism. His humble and self deprecating manner gives this book a lot of humorous moments and the narrative feels as though you're sitting on Marcus' ranch, listening to him tell ya the story personally.

I typically take a while to read books. I'll read in 20 minute spurts traveling to and from work on the train, and usually a half an hour or so before bedtime. There were serveral nights that I finally put the book down and realized that I had been reading for 2 hours straight. I imagine some day they'll make a film about this (ala Black Hawk Down), but I honestly cannot see how they'd do it justice, without us all having to go through psychological treatment after watching. I also don't see hwo they could find actors that could honestly portray the sort of heroism that Marcus writes about.

:w00t: I love good books, esp. the kind that stick in your head and heart for a while. I have to go grocery shopping today so I'll hit Barnes and Nobles as well. When I'm done, we can discuss it in depth if you like.

~Amy

Llamafighter
06-08-2009, 02:33 PM
:w00t: I love good books, esp. the kind that stick in your head and heart for a while. I have to go grocery shopping today so I'll hit Barnes and Nobles as well. When I'm done, we can discuss it in depth if you like.

~Amy

Definitely! You'll appreciate his love for Texas as well.

I remember Nate pointing out Lutrell at the after party and I'm definitely regretting not meeting him (or Pena for that matter)...

TexasRN
06-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Definitely! You'll appreciate his love for Texas as well.

I remember Nate pointing out Lutrell at the after party and I'm definitely regretting not meeting him (or Pena for that matter)...

Pena was so great.....awesome guy. I remember seeing Lutrell too but I didn't go meet him. Dang it. He lives in TX though? We could make a road trip and go buy him a beer. Say near Dallas sometime in the future....like when the UFC is in town? :laugh:

~Amy

Llamafighter
06-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Pena was so great.....awesome guy. I remember seeing Lutrell too but I didn't go meet him. Dang it. He lives in TX though? We could make a road trip and go buy him a beer. Say near Dallas sometime in the future....like when the UFC is in town? :laugh:

~Amy

THAT would be a blast! He lives near Houston I believe:)

mikthehick
06-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm still working on a Fighters Heart, but it's really good.

I also just started Integrative Principles of Psychology and Christianity, not so good

flo
09-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm just finishing a GREAT book, Horse Soldiers. Hopefully, I won't mess up this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Soldiers-Extraordinary-Victory-Afghanistan/dp/1416580514

It's about the Special Forces teams and CIA that went into Afghanistan shortly after 9/11. It's action packed, well-researched, I couldn't put it down!

Another one that a guy friend recommended was The Gates of the Alamo.

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Alamo-Stephen-Harrigan/dp/0141000023/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253651259&sr=1-1

I wasn't sure if I'd like it, it sounded like a guy's book but it turned out to be the best book I've read this year, I hated to have it end! It's historical fiction but the author really knew his subject, I'd highly recommend it.

flo
09-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm going to see if our library has Lone Survivor, Fighter's Heart and Shooter, they all sound really good, thanks for the recommendations.

Play The Man
09-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Flo, I am glad someone posted in this thread. It was accruing cobwebs in here due to a lack of posts. It looks like I will have a few more books on my book list. Thank you for the recommendations.

flo
09-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Flo, I am glad someone posted in this thread. It was accruing cobwebs in here due to a lack of posts. It looks like I will have a few more books on my book list. Thank you for the recommendations.

Yay! You bet, I like to check the book recommendations from time to time as well as see if I can't steal, er, I mean borrow some good graphics from the "post an image thread".:Whistle:

TexasRN
10-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm just finishing a GREAT book, Horse Soldiers. Hopefully, I won't mess up this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Soldiers-Extraordinary-Victory-Afghanistan/dp/1416580514

It's about the Special Forces teams and CIA that went into Afghanistan shortly after 9/11. It's action packed, well-researched, I couldn't put it down!

Another one that a guy friend recommended was The Gates of the Alamo.

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Alamo-Stephen-Harrigan/dp/0141000023/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253651259&sr=1-1

I wasn't sure if I'd like it, it sounded like a guy's book but it turned out to be the best book I've read this year, I hated to have it end! It's historical fiction but the author really knew his subject, I'd highly recommend it.

I just bought this book. Can't wait to read it now.

~Amy

Shoots like a girl
10-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Those were some good recommendations. Our secretary is reading the Shack right now and Im next in line when shes done. After reading this thread I cant wait to read it! I read alot of books before my teenage daughter so I know if they are suitable. I read Twilight because she wanted to read it and I completely fell in love with this book. So much so that I read the other 3 books in the series and have now read them 3 times! My husband has even begun to read them and is on the 3rd book now. Stephanie Meyers also wrote one called The Host that was pretty good. SHes my favorite author for sure.

TexasRN
10-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Those were some good recommendations. Our secretary is reading the Shack right now and Im next in line when shes done. After reading this thread I cant wait to read it! I read alot of books before my teenage daughter so I know if they are suitable. I read Twilight because she wanted to read it and I completely fell in love with this book. So much so that I read the other 3 books in the series and have now read them 3 times! My husband has even begun to read them and is on the 3rd book now. Stephanie Meyers also wrote one called The Host that was pretty good. SHes my favorite author for sure.

My mom bought me The Shack. I haven't read it yet but I did go to her church when the sermon was based on the premise of that book.

~Amy

Shoots like a girl
10-16-2009, 06:21 PM
I cant wait to read it. Right now Im about 1/2 way through Forrest Griffins book so hopefully by the time Im done The Shack will be available for me.

TexasRN
10-16-2009, 06:40 PM
I cant wait to read it. Right now Im about 1/2 way through Forrest Griffins book so hopefully by the time Im done The Shack will be available for me.

I read Forrest's book in a matter of a few hours. It was hilarious. :laugh: I loaned it to bf and now have a few other guys wanting to read it.

If you like funny fiction you have to try the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. It's one of my all time favorite series ever. There's romance and sexual tension but not the in depth sex scenes that embarrass you to get caught reading. :ashamed: They are mostly just funny mind candy books. No smut.

http://www.evanovich.com/novels/novel

~Amy

Shoots like a girl
10-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Forrest is a riot! Im reading it slowly. Cant read at work and my day is stacked bigtime if you have been keeping up with my thread in the nutrician board you can see why. So I read in the bathtub mostly! But I may be cutting that time short now too so that I can exercise more. I have Chucks book too but havent started it and also have the Vampire Chronicles that I havent started. I sooo love to read just wish I had the time to do it more. I love scary books and movies too.

Buzzard
10-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Harlen Coben is an author I just started reading. I'm on my 4th book by him now. So far I've loved all of his books that I have read.

Can't go wrong with John Grisham or James Patterson either. The Adept series by Piers Anthony was also a good read.

One of my favorite books is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in sci-fi books. I wasn't until I read that book.

Another fantastic book was Chesapeake by James A. Michener.

The last book I finished was The Bad Place by Dean Koontz. It was my second read of it as I first read it about 20+ years ago. I used to be into his books quite a bit. I sure didn't remember hardly anything from it except one little thing. I'm more into the dectective/thriller/mystery stuff now.

wpnsman2000
11-16-2009, 08:35 AM
I read this book like 3-4 years ago, it was very entertaining to think this actually took place. I cannot wait to see the movie and I hope it does the book justice.

TexasRN
11-16-2009, 12:02 PM
I read this book like 3-4 years ago, it was very entertaining to think this actually took place. I cannot wait to see the movie and I hope it does the book justice.

I didn't read the book but I did see the movie. It was funny. There are some really wacky parts to it that I quite enjoyed.

~Amy

Spiritwalker
11-17-2009, 03:59 AM
I don't know if I have posted this before.. but this book changed the way I thought about many things.. that "little things" matter... That God is all around us..it changed the way I thought about atheism, "Sunday Christians" and many things... This is a must read.

http://www.nassaulibrary.org/centreblog/death1.jpg

Spiritwalker
11-17-2009, 04:02 AM
This was an ENTHRALLING read.. I saw the cartoon movie... then I came across the book when I was in my early teens... GREAT BOOK!!!

http://i34.tinypic.com/4q639t.jpg

Buzzard
11-17-2009, 05:16 AM
I don't know if I have posted this before.. but this book changed the way I thought about many things.. that "little things" matter... That God is all around us..it changed the way I thought about atheism, "Sunday Christians" and many things... This is a must read.

http://www.nassaulibrary.org/centreblog/death1.jpg

I liked his Apprentice Adept series.

I may give this one a go.

Play The Man
01-27-2011, 06:59 AM
I thought I'd revive this thread. I just finished reading Columbine by Dave Cullen. It is an exhaustive nonfiction account of the Columbine High School massacre. The subject matter is obviously quite unpleasant, but important. The author, a journalist, was able to present a large amount of facts and evidence in an engaging manner. It is readily apparent that Eric Harris was a textbook psychopath with an obsession with mass murder. If the Columbine massacre had not occurred, he still would have likely become a violent criminal in some other capacity. Dylan Klebold, on the other hand, was a suicidal depressive, who become a homicidal depressive under the power of a dyad partnership with the more focused and dominant Harris. The author presents entries from diaries kept by the killers indicating that the attack was planned for more than a year. The book effectively dispels myths associated with the attacks including the role of "The Trench Coat Mafia", school bullying and the martyrdom of Cassie Bernall. A good read for those interested in psychology, true crime, current events or good journalistic reporting.

Stormhammer
01-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Can Man Live Without God? by Ravi Zacharias
The Exodus Case by Dr. Lennart Moller
The Bondage Breaker by Neil T. Anderson

Fantasy/science Fiction Books

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The Legend of Drizzt Series by R.A. Salvatore (Drizzt is overrated but still a decent read)
Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett (hilarious author, but watch out for his atheist evangelism at the end of his books)
The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett
The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm by Christie Golden (if you're into WoW)

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (nice, quick read)
Running With The Demon by Terry Brooks

Literature

The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight In Heaven by Sherman Alexie (some rough language in it at times, but a lot of gripping short stories about life on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Gritty stuff.)

The Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam, Jr. - The book that inspired the film October Sky

Mark Twain
Edgar Allen Poe (stick to his more well known stories)