PDA

View Full Version : Kimo Leopoldo passes

MattHughesRocks
07-21-2009, 03:06 PM
UFC veteran Kimo Leopoldo is reported to have died from complications from a heart attack at the age of 41.

Leopoldo, often known only as Kimo, made his MMA debut at UFC 3 in 1994 then spent 12 years professionally fighting in the sport until retiring after Extreme Wars 5-Battlegrounds in 2006. In recent years Kimo battled drugs, having tested positive for anabolic steroids at the end of his career, and later being charge for possession of marijuana

Kimo’s fighting style was described as freestyle, with a mixture of striking and grappling techniques. He was also well known for his Christian beliefs and sported many religious tattoos.

The news of Kimo Leopoldo’s death is being reported on several MMA sites and forums, however not by major outlets so other details at this stage are unknown. More when we have it.

http://www.inquisitr.com/29889/ufc-veteran-kimo-leopoldo-dead-aged-41/

Rest in peace Kimo.

Llamafighter
07-21-2009, 03:14 PM
I hope it's confirmed to be a rumor only.

Crisco
07-21-2009, 04:05 PM
The guy was definately a train wreck... I hope he rests in peace.

and also that this is a rumor.

sender
07-21-2009, 04:17 PM
That sucks :S Is it just me or are there alot of people especialy famous ones dying lately??

Blade
07-21-2009, 04:31 PM
That's what happens when you pump yourself up with steroids.

Preach
07-21-2009, 04:57 PM
This is a tragedy

Spiritwalker
07-21-2009, 05:06 PM
user or not.. he was a well known fighter.. I saw him years ago get his top knot ripped out.. he will be missed

Preach
07-21-2009, 05:10 PM
That's what happens when you pump yourself up with steroids.

Your right I hope all steroid users drop dead and tobacco users, over eaters, alcholics, caffiene users and well you know what I dont think that because he used steroids that makes him deserve death you heartless sap

Crisco
07-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Your right I hope all steroid users drop dead and tobacco users, over eaters, alcholics, caffiene users and well you know what I dont think that because he used steroids that makes him deserve death you heartless sap

I think what he ment was pumping yourself full of steroids could definately be a factor in dying of a heart attack at 41.

Preach
07-21-2009, 05:58 PM
I think what he ment was pumping yourself full of steroids could definately be a factor in dying of a heart attack at 41.

Then he should have said it that way. I agree with that but the way he said it was implying that oh well got what he deserved

Bonnie
07-21-2009, 08:26 PM
This is really sad....41...wow. :sad:

I mean no offense to anyone, but I was wondering the same thing, if the steroids were a factor. I recently saw a program where they discussed the use of steroids mainly with body builders and one of the things mentioned was the high risk of these guys having heart attacks and strokes at very early ages. Even sadder some of the young guys barely out of teens and early 20's said they would still take steroids in order to be bigger. :wacko:

Thoughts to his family and friends.

bj44
07-21-2009, 09:45 PM
R.I.P :sad:

Blade
07-21-2009, 10:46 PM

lol

adamt
07-21-2009, 11:12 PM
nope not true

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15585/despite-recent-reports-ufc-veteran-kim-kimo-leopoldo-is-not-dead.mma

Bonnie
07-22-2009, 12:08 AM
nope not true

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15585/despite-recent-reports-ufc-veteran-kim-kimo-leopoldo-is-not-dead.mma

Huh! Well, it's always nice to still be alive to see how many people cared when they thought you were dead. :wink:

Good for him! :)

Tyburn
07-22-2009, 12:14 AM
:blink: So is he dead...or alive :huh:

Chuck
07-22-2009, 12:21 AM
:blink: So is he dead...or alive :huh:

That's a tough one...

Judging from his recent performance IN the Octagon.... he's Dead.

According to his peeps.... he's alive....

You be the judge :wink:

sender
07-22-2009, 02:11 AM
hahaha maybe someone was playing a joke on him by telling the world that hes dead haha

MattHughesRocks
07-22-2009, 03:50 AM
He's NOT dead?! :w00t: I'm going to kill him! :laugh:

Irish Pride
07-22-2009, 02:03 PM
This is very sad news if it is true. My prayers are with you.

Crisco
07-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Kimo lives.

Neezar
07-22-2009, 06:53 PM
NOoooo!! KIMO!

:cry:

:laugh: I had to get my grieving in before I could be relieved.

octagon junkie
07-22-2009, 08:54 PM
A day after proving wrong reports of his death, MMA veteran Kim "Kimo" Leopoldo and his representatives are considering legal action against the person who first posted the false news, the fighter's manager today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

On Tuesday a member of a popular online MMA forum made a post in which he stated the 41-year-old Leopoldo had died due to complications from a heart attack while in Costa Rica.

Numerous MMA blogs and mainstream outlets such as TMZ and the New York Daily News issued reports with the bogus information before Leopoldo appeared later in the day at a press conference at the Orange County Sheriff's Department in California to debunk the rumors.

Brandt Stebbins, Leopoldo's manager, denied that anyone associated with the fighter was part of the initial report.

"Plain and simple, you can go to mixedmartialarts.com and see all the posts," Stebbins said. "You can see the posts from the original people and the original guy who started it. That gentleman was banned (from the site). We're trying to summons his name so we can sue him. We're not taking this lightly."

Stebbins did not clarify under what pretense the forum member would be sued, though the camp would likely need to prove he or she knowingly posted incorrect information.

Despite the fact that it took nearly a full day to track down Leopoldo – who said he was sleeping and awoke to nearly 100 voicemails – Stebbins is adamant that the situation wasn't a marketing ploy or gimmick to get "Kimo's" name back in the media.

"We have nothing to hide," Stebbins said. "We can point anyone to where this started.

"Those posts did not come from anyone in our camp."

Once Stebbins heard the rumors of his client's death, he said he and other people close to Leopoldo couldn't initially track him down. They called the sheriff's department, fire department, coroner and other authorities trying to glean any bit of information about Leopoldo's whereabouts.

That's why Stebbins said he was hesitant to publicly confirm that Leopoldo, who was actually home asleep in California, was alive and well in the few hours before the press conference was held.

"I didn't get to see Kimo face to face till 3:30 or 4 (p.m. PT)," Stebbins said. "I didn't want to say, 'Yes, Kimo is alive,' until I physically saw Kimo face to face. ... It's impossible to know who to trust. ... Personally, I wasn't going to say he was alive until I saw him in person and knew for myself."

Ultimately, the announcement was made Tuesday evening at a press conference at the Orange County Sheriff's Department. Stebbins said the department fielded approximately 200 calls from media members and fans, and they wanted official word to come from the department to assure everyone that Leopoldo was alive.

Leopoldo ultimately addressed the media for approximately five minutes and said he was as surprised as anyone to hear the reports.

"[Kimo] said the first thing he did was stand up and look in the mirror to make sure he was really alive," Stebbins said. "His poor son was calling from Hawaii and was ready to get on a plane. He was totally distraught.

"That's the real problem with stuff like this."

warriorlion
07-22-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm checking with a reliable source, I know a member of his family whos gone to check the truth, will let you know when I know

Neezar
07-23-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm checking with a reliable source, I know a member of his family whos gone to check the truth, will let you know when I know

ummm...he just put out a press release.

:laugh:

MattHughesRocks
07-23-2009, 01:40 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/photos/leopoldo-news-dead-2502517-county-kort/pid2502524

Neezar
07-23-2009, 02:44 AM
He gets his own press conference? :huh: He hasn't had this much attention in years. :laugh: Or Ever....

MattHughesRocks
07-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Turns out he's dead again :blink:

http://www.tapoutlive.com/media/7565/Exclusive_OMA_Press_Conference/

MattHughesRocks
07-23-2009, 07:53 AM
It came after this one :huh:

http://www.tapoutlive.com/media/7561/Kimo_Press_Conference_-_Im_Not_Dead/

que
07-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Turns out he's dead again :blink:

http://www.tapoutlive.com/media/7565/Exclusive_OMA_Press_Conference/
i feel bad for kimo's family and that was a seriously messed up thing to do, but i gotta admit that video was pretty funny

Jason 16
07-23-2009, 04:51 PM
:frantics: so he is dead or alive:frantics:

Max
07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
i feel bad for kimo's family and that was a seriously messed up thing to do, but i gotta admit that video was pretty funny
i thought the video was stupid

Max
07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
:frantics: so he is dead or alive:frantics:
alive

Bonnie
07-23-2009, 06:26 PM
I thought it was funny in the "real" Kimo video that he was reading from notes. :laugh: