PDA

View Full Version : MICE!

DonnaMaria
07-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Aaagggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!:frantics:

I have a farmhouse that is about 100 years old. I also have about 5 barns/outbuildings.......

( yes, I live in NJ. But I live in SOUTH Jersey :wink: )

I have about 3 acres, lots of fields around me, woods, etc,...................

the groundhogs and moles are tearing up the grass, the turkeys are eating my strawberry plants, the rabbits and deer are eating my flowers.........

but my REAL problem is the MICE!!!!!!:scared0015:
They.....are.... everywhere!

I cleaned out the detached garage over the weekend and I cannot tell you how much damaged the mice caused. Eating clothes and chewing through things! They even chewed through a PLASTIC container!

They made nests in EVERYTHING! I found dead mice, live mice :wacko: baby mice.

I need some tips on how to keep them out of my HOUSE ( the most important) and my buildings.

I have a few barn cats who just adopted me when I moved in but they don't seem to be doing the job. I was told to not feed them so they would catch more mice. But I DO feed them on occasion. I feel sorry for them.

I set traps. Is there anything else I can do?

What about moth balls? Do they work? Are they too toxic for in the house?

I had a house cat before she passed on but actually she wasn't good for me. She kept leaving little mouse "presents" all over the place. Mouse heads on the doorstep........mouse liver on the steps, half eaten baby rabbits......eyeballs on the picnic table.....(shudder) I'm too much of a whimp for that again.

Any suggestions?

Crisco
07-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Aaagggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!:frantics:

I have a farmhouse that is about 100 years old. I also have about 5 barns/outbuildings.......

( yes, I live in NJ. But I live in SOUTH Jersey :wink: )

I have about 3 acres, lots of fields around me, woods, etc,...................

the groundhogs and moles are tearing up the grass, the turkeys are eating my strawberry plants, the rabbits and deer are eating my flowers.........

but my REAL problem is the MICE!!!!!!:scared0015:
They.....are.... everywhere!

I cleaned out the detached garage over the weekend and I cannot tell you how much damaged the mice caused. Eating clothes and chewing through things! They even chewed through a PLASTIC container!

They made nests in EVERYTHING! I found dead mice, live mice :wacko: baby mice.

I need some tips on how to keep them out of my HOUSE ( the most important) and my buildings.

I have a few barn cats who just adopted me when I moved in but they don't seem to be doing the job. I was told to not feed them so they would catch more mice. But I DO feed them on occasion. I feel sorry for them.

I set traps. Is there anything else I can do?

What about moth balls? Do they work? Are they too toxic for in the house?

I had a house cat before she passed on but actually she wasn't good for me. She kept leaving little mouse "presents" all over the place. Mouse heads on the doorstep........mouse liver on the steps, half eaten baby rabbits......eyeballs on the picnic table.....(shudder) I'm too much of a whimp for that again.

Any suggestions?

Burn everything down and start over =)

or you should try calling an exterminator.

Or just wait for one of our farmer folks to help you out.

DonnaMaria
07-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Burn everything down and start over =)

or you should try calling an exterminator.

Or just wait for one of our farmer folks to help you out.

I thought about that first one..........seriously.

I've seriously thought about the second one as well but I am thinking it would be VERY expensive.

Crisco
07-20-2009, 10:16 PM
I thought about that first one..........seriously.

I've seriously thought about the second one as well but I am thinking it would be VERY expensive.

True on both counts.

Maybe you should buy a mountain lion or a cheetah they are way more bad ass then house cats.

County Mike
07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Similar situation where I live. Cats are really the best weapon against mice.

If you do choose poison, you end up with stinky dead mice trapped in the walls and other places you can't get to.

rearnakedchoke
07-20-2009, 10:44 PM
i had a problem in my house, can't really compare to your issue ... i irradicated the bastards with the electronic mouse trap thing .... i thought i was wasting my money, but i didn't want to lose my finger on one of those guillotine traps and the sticky ones are not that great .... get a few of them and the batteries last a while, just check them a few times a day .... but you have to go around the place and close all holes ... i found a few holes (they say a mouse can get through a hole the size of a pencil eraser) ... so i put steel wool in the holes and used that spray insulation thing to spray around it ...

oh and don't use moth balls .. your place will end up smelling like my aunt's place

Preach
07-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Have Crow send you a snake

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Firstly you want to start protecting any produce you are growing from animals...and thats simply by putting wooden structures around the areas you are growing produce....you should be able to buy them...you dont need to start chopping down trees.

The Mice...well first you need to start clearing out where they live. You can start with simply distrubing and cleaning the place, that will displace them. Remove their nests...they will be forced to find somewhere else.

then you lay humane traps...and when you capture them...buy a tank, fill it with sawdust...and feed the critters...then you SELL THEM to a pet shop...or you sell them to whichever insitution looks after homeless animals. Let them make you money.

But...if you find babies...and they are hairless...leave them till they at least open their eyes...otherwise you will probably kill them. They are extremely fragile...and I dont know...but some mammals will abandon their young if they fear human interference.

If you employ Cats to help you...they will bring you their spoils hahahahaha

And start taking some pictures...I want to see your mice!! They are adorable little things...plastic is not a good idea to feed them though...if they are chewing and distroying thats fine...if they are actually consuming the plastic...then...well they are likely to end up poisening themselves or having serious digestive issues...Mice are not supposed to be eating plastic...it wil do them NO good. :laugh:

NEVER use poisen. They will take it back to the nest...and die...and I've lived in a place where we had to excavate under the stairs to find what remained of the nest....it was...grusome...and we werent the ones poisening them either....they really will die in the walls, under the floor...and...its not very pleasent....not to mention...a horrible way to go :unsure-1:

DonnaMaria
07-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Have Crow send you a snake

LOL! I forgot to mention that I have a black snake that lives in the garage as well. There must be too many mice to feast on............:blink:

DonnaMaria
07-21-2009, 01:36 AM
i had a problem in my house, can't really compare to your issue ... i irradicated the bastards with the electronic mouse trap thing .... i thought i was wasting my money, but i didn't want to lose my finger on one of those guillotine traps and the sticky ones are not that great .... get a few of them and the batteries last a while, just check them a few times a day .... but you have to go around the place and close all holes ... i found a few holes (they say a mouse can get through a hole the size of a pencil eraser) ... so i put steel wool in the holes and used that spray insulation thing to spray around it ...

oh and don't use moth balls .. your place will end up smelling like my aunt's place

REALLY!? The electronic mouse trap things? REALLY?!?!?

That's good advice about the steel wool. I can close the holes in the house and the garage but the barns are a lost cause I think. I might just have to get some more barn cats.

Thanks!

DonnaMaria
07-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Firstly you want to start protecting any produce you are growing from animals...and thats simply by putting wooden structures around the areas you are growing produce....you should be able to buy them...you dont need to start chopping down trees.

The Mice...well first you need to start clearing out where they live. You can start with simply distrubing and cleaning the place, that will displace them. Remove their nests...they will be forced to find somewhere else.

then you lay humane traps...and when you capture them...buy a tank, fill it with sawdust...and feed the critters...then you SELL THEM to a pet shop...or you sell them to whichever insitution looks after homeless animals. Let them make you money.

But...if you find babies...and they are hairless...leave them till they at least open their eyes...otherwise you will probably kill them. They are extremely fragile...and I dont know...but some mammals will abandon their young if they fear human interference.

And start taking some pictures...I want to see your mice!! They are adorable little things...plastic is not a good idea to feed them though...if they are chewing and distroying thats fine...if they are actually consuming the plastic...then...well they are likely to end up poisening themselves or having serious digestive issues...Mice are not supposed to be eating plastic...it wil do them NO good. :laugh:

NEVER use poisen. They will take it back to the nest...and die...and I've lived in a place where we had to excavate under the stairs to find what remained of the nest....it was...grusome...and we werent the ones poisening them either....they really will die in the walls, under the floor...and...its not very pleasent....not to mention...a horrible way to go :unsure-1:

Dave...........you are so funny............:)

you misunderstand me............I don't want to save them.........
I want to KILL THEM!!!!!!!!:fighting0008: :fighting0028: :fighting0023:

I know this isn't a pretty side of me, but I am at war with them right now. They are destroying stuff right and left. I can't tell you how much stuff I had to throw out. Not to mention the wires that they started to chew! They are dangerous!

And catching them and feeding them and selling them isn't an option. I save the baby bunnies from the mower when I mow and I relocate them. That's all the saving I'm doing! I like the bunnies. They might eat a few flowers but they don't poop in my oatmeal and chew my insulation.:laugh:

MattHughesRocks
07-21-2009, 04:46 AM
MOOOOOOVE! :scared0011:

sender
07-21-2009, 05:11 AM
I've had/have a bit of a mouse problem at my place too :S I find poison and traps dont work because they will just keep comming back :S

If it wasn't for the cat I would be insane right now! Cats are definitly the best answer... That and check every tiny little hole in your house and outside... I had to redo all the vents that lead outside... and they still find their way in...

I feel your pain!

Tyburn
07-21-2009, 01:06 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

rearnakedchoke
07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
REALLY!? The electronic mouse trap things? REALLY?!?!?

That's good advice about the steel wool. I can close the holes in the house and the garage but the barns are a lost cause I think. I might just have to get some more barn cats.

Thanks!
yeah, i think it cost around $20, you put a little peanut butter in the end and stick it in a corner ... the light comes on when you caught one ... then you open the lid and dump it out and ready for another tazing ... but yeah, you gotta seal up all the holes ... apparently they don't like steel wool ... it worked for me, but i only had a couple of places where they came in from ... cats are good, but my cat would play with them and eat them (all but the tail)

Llamafighter
07-21-2009, 04:26 PM
yeah, i think it cost around $20, you put a little peanut butter in the end and stick it in a corner ... the light comes on when you caught one ... then you open the lid and dump it out and ready for another tazing ... but yeah, you gotta seal up all the holes ... apparently they don't like steel wool ... it worked for me, but i only had a couple of places where they came in from ... cats are good, but my cat would play with them and eat them (all but the tail)

Steel wool is the best because they can't chew thru it. and if they do the metal tears up their insides.
we ussed to have an ongoing battle with them when I lived on the farm growing up. In the spring we'd be loading seed and occassionally a bag would have a big hole in it and a bunch of mice and their babies would fall out. cold be worse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH4EFgRB4bU

rearnakedchoke
07-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Steel wool is the best because they can't chew thru it. and if they do the metal tears up their insides.
we ussed to have an ongoing battle with them when I lived on the farm growing up. In the spring we'd be loading seed and occassionally a bag would have a big hole in it and a bunch of mice and their babies would fall out. cold be worse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH4EFgRB4bU
that video is horrible .. the sound alone would be the death of me ...

sender
07-21-2009, 06:22 PM

DUDE!
VIDEO!!
AWESOME!!!

Llamafighter
07-21-2009, 07:48 PM
DUDE!
VIDEO!!
AWESOME!!!

Dude, that video freaked me out.

sender
07-21-2009, 08:29 PM
haha yeh same! Kinda cool though looks like somthing out of a cartoon hahaha. But yeh if i was ever to open somthing and that many mice came out... I'd prolly make a little girlish squeek myself haha

Preach
07-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Extreme

Play The Man
07-21-2009, 10:02 PM

I agree with not using poison. They will die in hidden places and smell. I disagree with your suggestion to capture them and sell them to a pet shop. Mice carry zoonotic infections such as hantavirus and lymphochoriomeningitis virus (among others). Kill them all!
My parents recently had an infestation of mice in their garage. It was because my Dad forgot to put birdseed in a thick plastic container; he only had it in a plastic bag. The mice chewed open the plastic bag and feasted on the seed and quickly multiplied. It might be difficult on a farm, but try to seal up any ready sources of food, like seeds and grain, in thick plastic buckets or barrels.
I don't have much personal experience with mousetraps. I had trouble with rats. I caught them in a wire cage by baiting it with peanut butter and then I drowned them by immersing the trap in a plastic bucket filled with water.

Play The Man
07-21-2009, 10:07 PM
And catching them and feeding them and selling them isn't an option. I save the baby bunnies from the mower when I mow and I relocate them. That's all the saving I'm doing! I like the bunnies. They might eat a few flowers but they don't poop in my oatmeal and chew my insulation.:laugh:

You are smart to relocate the bunnies. There have been cases of people accidentally running over rabbits with a mower and becoming infected with tularemia when they inhaled the aerosolized blood droplets.:yuck:

Tyburn
07-21-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't have much personal experience with mousetraps. I had trouble with rats. I caught them in a wire cage by baiting it with peanut butter and then I drowned them by immersing the trap in a plastic bucket filled with water.[/SIZE][/FONT]
:huh: you drowned them???

couldnt you have just shot them or something :blink:

TexasRN
07-21-2009, 10:38 PM

They're too little to shoot. Drowning works well, is free, and doesn't require much time or effort. :scared0015:

~Amy

DonnaMaria
07-21-2009, 11:00 PM

:happy0198:

I actually LIKE where I live though!:laugh:

The house is beautiful, the land is amazing and I like all the space! and it's great to see the deer and turkey in the yard........and all the bunnies........

I just don't like the unwanted critters!:laugh:

The house and buildings were vacant for about 2 years........so I think that once I reclaim the space I should be ok.

DonnaMaria
07-21-2009, 11:05 PM
:blink: And that video was really disturbing!

I guess my mouse problem isn't so bad after all!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll give the steel wool a try. I also bought a few tubes of stuff to seal the holes up.

DonnaMaria
07-21-2009, 11:08 PM
You are smart to relocate the bunnies. There have been cases of people accidentally running over rabbits with a mower and becoming infected with tularemia when they inhaled the aerosolized blood droplets.:yuck:

:scared0011:

ohmygosh!

I relocate them because they are so darn cute! I didn't relise that I could get sick from them.

Maybe I SHOULD move...................I don't know if I am cut out for this whole farm girl thing.

Although I think I have a better understanding of why the previous owner had 50 cats. Maybe she wasn't a crazy cat lady after all! Maybe they were all working for her! :laugh:

Tyburn
07-22-2009, 12:34 AM
They're too little to shoot. Drowning works well, is free, and doesn't require much time or effort. :scared0015:

~Amy
How are RATS to small to shoot...when you can shoot game or rabit...Rats can be...enourmaous :blink:

Play The Man
07-22-2009, 12:49 AM

I was in a densely populated area. One of the fundamental rules of gun safety is: "Know your target and what is beyond." I wouldn't want to take the chance of a ricochet going beyond the rat and shooting a person.

Tyburn
07-22-2009, 01:18 AM
I was in a densely populated area. One of the fundamental rules of gun safety is: "Know your target and what is beyond." I wouldn't want to take the chance of a ricochet going beyond the rat and shooting a person.
oh. Okay... :blink:

sender
07-22-2009, 02:10 AM
I ran over a HUGE toad or frog with the mower once... it was gross.... but kinda cool!!!

R.I.P. Frog/Toad/anphibian

Llamafighter
07-22-2009, 04:23 AM
I ran over a HUGE toad or frog with the mower once... it was gross.... but kinda cool!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
07-22-2009, 05:22 AM
This thread is kinda like going on a diet :sick:

:laugh:

Play The Man
07-22-2009, 05:47 AM
oh. Okay... :blink:

Did you want me to set up a rat petting zoo or something?:wink:

Tyburn
07-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Did you want me to set up a rat petting zoo or something?:wink:
No I just think there are humane ways of killing pests...and....inhumane ways of killing them :unsure-1:

I mean...would you burn one? or electrocute one? :huh: Would you gas one?You could equally make a bonfire and just toss rat and cage into it...or you could rev the engine of your car and fill the trap with carbon monoxide...I dont know how you would electrocute one...I suppose if the cage was metal...(by cage I mean the trap LOL)

:unsure:

surveyorshawn
07-23-2009, 12:14 AM
This happened near New Orleans while we were here for Benaiah's surgery:

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/rat_bites_cover_baby_found_dea.html

The coroner's report was announced on the news today. The baby was alive when bitten, and died as a result of blood loss from the rat bites. Very, very sad.

Mac
07-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Donna , i didnt read through this whole thread so this may have been mentioned . First off we will cover the moles

Moles work early morning around 7- 8 oclock , and around 2-3 in the afternoon , sometimes around 5-6 also . FInd the freshest part of the tunnel , walk VERY softly . If they feel your vibrations they will stop moving . Stand very still and watch the tunnel . Pretty soon you will see the ground start to heave where the mole is working . Have a garden hoe with you , when you pin point the mole start whacking at it with the hoe or garden implement of your choice.

The moles are there because you have Grubsgrub works are short fat white worms , moles love them . Go to the hardware store and buy some grub killer and spread on the lawn .when the grubs die the moles leave.

As for the mice , D-CON , and lots of it , buy a bunch of d con and start spreading it , throw the bait packs everywhere , youll have to put up with the smell of rotting mice for a few days but itll get em . DOnt let kids near it , hide it where kids and pets cant get to them . If a barn cat or two truns up missing , dont worry , they ate a mouse the ate dcon and are off dying somewhere themselves ,

DonnaMaria
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Donna , i didnt read through this whole thread so this may have been mentioned . First off we will cover the moles

Moles work early morning around 7- 8 oclock , and around 2-3 in the afternoon , sometimes around 5-6 also . FInd the freshest part of the tunnel , walk VERY softly . If they feel your vibrations they will stop moving . Stand very still and watch the tunnel . Pretty soon you will see the ground start to heave where the mole is working . Have a garden hoe with you , when you pin point the mole start whacking at it with the hoe or garden implement of your choice.

The moles are there because you have Grubsgrub works are short fat white worms , moles love them . Go to the hardware store and buy some grub killer and spread on the lawn .when the grubs die the moles leave.

As for the mice , D-CON , and lots of it , buy a bunch of d con and start spreading it , throw the bait packs everywhere , youll have to put up with the smell of rotting mice for a few days but itll get em . DOnt let kids near it , hide it where kids and pets cant get to them . If a barn cat or two truns up missing , dont worry , they ate a mouse the ate dcon and are off dying somewhere themselves ,

:scared0015: oh...........wow........

wow.....

maybe I should move..........like Michelle said......

I don't know if I am up for wacking things with a hoe and smelling rotting flesh

even if I AM Sicilian!

MattHughesRocks
07-23-2009, 04:32 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :happy0198:

:scared0015: oh...........wow........

wow.....

maybe I should move..........like Michelle said......

I don't know if I am up for wacking things with a hoe and smelling rotting flesh

even if I AM Sicilian!