PDA

View Full Version : Pray for Pvt. Bergdahl

Play The Man
07-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Posing an emotional new complication for the expanding U.S. military effort in Afghanistan, Islamic militants released a video of a captured American soldier whom U.S. military officials identified for the first time yesterday as Pvt. Bowe R. Bergdahl, 23, of Ketchum, Idaho.

The video marked the first time that militants have sought to take advantage of Pvt. Bergdahl's June 30 capture to mount a propaganda attack on President Barack Obama's decision to escalate U.S. involvement in the war. The video also underscores the stakes for U.S. forces that have spent more than two weeks scouring eastern Afghanistan for clues to Pvt. Bergdahl's whereabouts.

The footage shows Pvt. Bergdahl in apparent good condition, dressed in a traditional Afghan loose shirt and tunic, known as a shalwar khameez. His hair is short and he has a slight stubble of beard.

Responding to prompts from his captors, Pvt. Bergdahl calls for U.S. forces to be returned home and expresses his worry that he may never again see his family.

"I'm scared I won't be able to go home. It is very unnerving to be a prisoner," he says at one point in the 28-minute recording. "I have my girlfriend who is hoping to marry. ... I have a very, very good family that I love back home in America."

U.S. military officials denounced the video as a violation of the laws of war.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09201/985087-82.stm#ixzz0LlxwkaSZ

We should all be praying for the members of our armed forces. Keep this young soldier in your prayers. He is in the hands of some very evil men.

Llamafighter
07-20-2009, 01:24 PM
He is definitely in my prayers.

surveyorshawn
07-20-2009, 02:18 PM
We have been praying for him & definitely still will be! We have been following the story from the hospital.

Play The Man
07-20-2009, 06:17 PM
http://trueslant.com/pjtobia/2009/07/20/source-bergdahl-deserted/

I’ve been reporting for over a week (along with the AP and WaPo) that Bowe Bergdahl, the US soldier who’s gone missing in eastern Afghanistan, walked off the base on his own accord.

Now, somebody close to the people searching for Bergdahl has repeated this assertion saying that the soldier left “a note behind that said he was going to the mountains to find himself. He took a journal and 4 or 5 knives with him.” My source tells me that Bergdahl arrived at a village and asked if anybody spoke English. That’s when he was captured.

My source tells me that there is no doubt Bergdahl deserted, which in a time of war is punishable by a court martial at the least, or even execution.

I’m not the only one saying this. Lt. Col. Ralph Peters (Ret.) told Fox News that Bergdahl is “an apparent deserter,” and intimates that he wouldn’t feel badly if the Taliban killed Bergdahl. At the end of the segment he does say that we should wait until all the facts come in to pass judgement, but even Michelle Malkin smells something fishy.

I spoke with US Col. Greg Julian about an hour ago and he would not answer questions about the curcumstances of Bergdahl’s dissapearence.

If this is true it would obviously change most people's opinion of this man (including mine); however, at this point in time he needs the benefit of the doubt. If true, he should receive a court martial. Even if he is guilty, he doesn't deserve to be beheaded by these bloodthirsty maniacs. He still needs our prayers.

Crisco
07-20-2009, 10:07 PM
I never want to see anyone beheaded by these monsters of Islam.

This guy seems like he has a problem. He went off into the hostile Afghan mountains to find himself... Doesn't seem right in the head to me.

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 11:15 PM
I never want to see anyone beheaded by these monsters of Islam.

This guy seems like he has a problem. He went off into the hostile Afghan mountains to find himself... Doesn't seem right in the head to me.
There is indeed some difficulty in how exactly he came to be in Enemy Custody.

According to British News, the US claims he "went missing" :huh: