PDA

View Full Version : Gran Torino

Mac
07-20-2009, 02:31 AM
Instant classic in my book . Absolutley loved this movie . Just watched it tonight after waiting for it to hit dvd.

I thought it was going to be a really good one when i saw the ads for it , then Mark told me about it and said it was " OK" so i was kinda nervous it wouldnt live up to my expectations .

Mark was wrong lol , it was ALOT better than OK. Just became one of my favs/.

lyndsey823
07-20-2009, 03:18 AM
I agree 100%!!! I LOVED that movie. It was one of those that stuck with me after I watched it, and it takes a lot for a movie to do that for me. The whole theater was crying at the end, not just little tears, but to where you could hear everyone. Even my boyfriend cried a bit, even though he'd kill me if I told anyone. Again.

But yes, great movie. I have been meaning to buy it OnDemand, and maybe I will tonight now!!

matthughesfan21
07-20-2009, 04:06 AM
i've heard great things about it, just dl'd the torrent, off to watch it now

matthughesfan21
07-20-2009, 06:06 AM
that movie was fantastic...One of the best movies i've seen in a while, the ending was really sad, but the movie has a good message in it...it will def. be one i will watch again

Bonnie
07-20-2009, 10:15 AM
I loved it too! Great performance by Clint Eastwood who makes this not so likable character in the beginning of the movie into a hero in the end. :cry:

TexasRN
07-20-2009, 11:09 AM
I laughed almost the entire movie. It was better than I thought it'd be. I'd watch it a few more times.

~Amy

rockdawg21
07-20-2009, 12:42 PM
This was more like a comedy drama. It's kinda like watching Full Metal Jacket when the drill sargent is blasting the heck out of all the privates. I know it's meant to be serious, but it's still so funny.

rearnakedchoke
07-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Great movie ... we were talking about this the other day ... Eastwood was a genius in it ... i was also laughing at the fact that it didn't seem that Clint had to do much rehearsing when it came to using those racial slurs ... seems like he was a natural .. LOL

lyndsey823
07-21-2009, 04:03 AM
I laughed almost the entire movie. It was better than I thought it'd be. I'd watch it a few more times.

~Amy

I know, me too!! Some parts were just too funny!!

And was it just me, or did Clint Eastwood sound like Christian Bale's Batman?? Or as my boyfriend corrected me, Christian Bale sounded like Eastwood, lol.

Preach
07-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Instant classic in my book . Absolutley loved this movie . Just watched it tonight after waiting for it to hit dvd.

I thought it was going to be a really good one when i saw the ads for it , then Mark told me about it and said it was " OK" so i was kinda nervous it wouldnt live up to my expectations .

Mark was wrong lol , it was ALOT better than OK. Just became one of my favs/.

Whats Mark know anyways

que
07-22-2009, 01:26 AM
bad ass movie by a bad ass director/actor and a bad ass man

Neezar
07-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I agree with Mark.

NateR
07-23-2009, 01:56 AM
I thought Clint Eastwood did an amazing job in this film and it was a very good story. Unfortunately, the acting skills of the supporting cast left a lot to be desired. Some of the scenes were about as well acted as a dress rehearsal for a high school play. Even though they were speaking in a different language, you could tell that many of the asian actors were just reciting lines and not really immersed in their roles.

Other than that I really enjoyed the film and I thought that Eastwood's character was just as likable at the beginning of the movie as he was at the end. :unsure-1: I thought all of his racial slurs were hilarious; but then I've spent ten years in the Army, so I've learned that just because someone is a racist, it doesn't mean that they are a bad person.

rearnakedchoke
07-23-2009, 02:12 AM
I thought Clint Eastwood did an amazing job in this film and it was a very good story. Unfortunately, the acting skills of the supporting cast left a lot to be desired. Some of the scenes were about as well acted as a dress rehearsal for a high school play. Even though they were speaking in a different language, you could tell that many of the asian actors were just reciting lines and not really immersed in their roles.

Other than that I really enjoyed the film and I thought that Eastwood's character was just as likable at the beginning of the movie as he was at the end. :unsure-1: I thought all of his racial slurs were hilarious; but then I've spent ten years in the Army, so I've learned that just because someone is a racist, it doesn't mean that they are a bad person.
my favourite was the line, something like, your letting click clak, ding dang and charlie chan hit on your women ... something like that ...

rearnakedchoke
07-23-2009, 02:14 AM

sort of agree ... it is ok to not like certain people, but those who go out of their way to degrade or hurt people are obviously dicks ...

NateR
07-23-2009, 03:12 AM
my favourite was the line, something like, your letting click clak, ding dang and charlie chan hit on your women ... something like that ...

Every time he said "zipperhead" I had to laugh. :laugh:

lyndsey823
07-23-2009, 04:04 AM

he reminded me so much of my grandfather, my great uncle (who was 1st Cavalry in the Vietnam War), and my father who were all military. i think that is why i liked him so much. i was so used to hearing my grandfather talk like that all my life!!!

rearnakedchoke
07-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Every time he said "zipperhead" I had to laugh. :laugh:
yeah .. LOL .. i was called a racist the other day ... i thought i was just being funny ... my black friend is marrying a white girl and he invited me .. i am not black or white ... i said to him, can you seat me with the white people .... i want to get served first ... he laughed, but another girl (she was white) said that was ignorant of me to say and said i was racist .. LOL ...

Rev
07-23-2009, 07:50 PM
I get called racist by other white people all the time because I call them cracka. I am the whitest dude in the world!!! lol

Great movie!!! Lots of bad language so put the kids to bed and then watch it.

Crisco
07-23-2009, 08:27 PM
yeah .. LOL .. i was called a racist the other day ... i thought i was just being funny ... my black friend is marrying a white girl and he invited me .. i am not black or white ... i said to him, can you seat me with the white people .... i want to get served first ... he laughed, but another girl (she was white) said that was ignorant of me to say and said i was racist .. LOL ...

Tell her

http://tcor.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/whore-mouth.jpg

Rev
07-23-2009, 08:31 PM
:funny: lol

cubsfan47
07-23-2009, 09:33 PM
I used to own a Gran Torino; that sure aged me didn't it?:ashamed:
:laugh:

atomdanger
07-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Great movie.
I loved it, I also thought he was likable throughout the entire movie.

My favorite part was when he stopped the black kids from harassing the girl,
he said "What are you spooks doing?", I almost died laughing.
But even though he didn't really like the asian's moving in, he helped somebody in trouble, made fun of the wigger kid and did the right thing.

Crisco
07-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Great movie.
I loved it, I also thought he was likable throughout the entire movie.

My favorite part was when he stopped the black kids from harassing the girl,
he said "What are you spooks doing?", I almost died laughing.
But even though he didn't really like the asian's moving in, he helped somebody in trouble, made fun of the wigger kid and did the right thing.

I wanted to fight that stupid kid.

I would have smacked around the black kids and then that stupid white kid.

rearnakedchoke
07-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Tell her

http://tcor.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/whore-mouth.jpg
ahh .. haven't seen this in along time ... best post eva!

County Mike
07-24-2009, 07:04 PM
i've heard great things about it, just dl'd the torrent, off to watch it now

Wanna PM me on how to get hooked up with the torrent stuff? I've heard plenty about it but never got into it. Now I worry about virus' and things if I do something wrong.

atomdanger
07-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Wanna PM me on how to get hooked up with the torrent stuff? I've heard plenty about it but never got into it. Now I worry about virus' and things if I do something wrong.

Im PMing you right now

County Mike
07-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Im PMing you right now

Thanks. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it.

surveyorshawn
07-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Watched it last night...it was really good and funny, despite the language. Even Jennifer liked it, and she HATES Clint Eastwood! Lol

Rev
07-25-2009, 12:55 AM
The language was like watching Phonebooth. Ever see that one? If not, dont.

surveyorshawn
07-25-2009, 01:00 AM

I agree...that was a wasted hour and a half of my life

Neezar
07-26-2009, 04:18 AM

A few years ago, I was standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes with the window open. I could hear two young kids outside taking turns saying curse words. No reason or rhyme. Just saying them. This movie reminded me of that. I felt like a lot of the curse words were unnecessary. Even painful to listen to at times.

Mac
07-27-2009, 02:05 AM
A few years ago, I was standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes with the window open. I could hear two young kids outside taking turns saying curse words. No reason or rhyme. Just saying them. This movie reminded me of that. I felt like a lot of the curse words were unnecessary. Even painful to listen to at times.

Yeah but your a girl !!!! Yall are week anyways lol

Moose
07-28-2009, 04:47 AM
I enjoyed the movie, but my Hmong friend certainly didn't. She complained about how it's just another movie with minorities getting their bacon saved by whitey. She's a smelly hippie so what does she know?

County Mike
07-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Watched Gran Torino a few nights ago. One of the best movies ever. Great flick and if you haven't seen it, you need to.

Crisco
07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
I enjoyed the movie, but my Hmong friend certainly didn't. She complained about how it's just another movie with minorities getting their bacon saved by whitey. She's a smelly hippie so what does she know?

Tell her to shut her hippy mouth

MattHughesRocks
07-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Speak for yourself Mac! :laugh:

Yeah but your a girl !!!! Yall are week anyways lol

Bonnie
07-28-2009, 04:52 PM

Hey, who ended up with the car! What more does she want--"whitey" gave his ALL! :laugh:

Moose
07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Hey, who ended up with the car! What more does she want--"whitey" gave his ALL! :laugh:

That's what I said. I guess she was contending that her culture didn't need outside help to succeed.

Neezar
07-29-2009, 05:56 PM
That's what I said. I guess she was contending that her culture didn't need outside help to succeed.

Of course they don't. But this time someone decided to help anyway. That is why it was made into a movie. :laugh:

Neezar
07-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Does anyone actually believe that the family left behind will have a happily ever after? That someone won't retaliate? There wasn't only those 5 or 6 in that car. :rolleyes:

Moose
07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Of course they don't. But this time someone decided to help anyway. That is why it was made into a movie. :laugh:

Actually, I believe they do. Their ethos and culture doesn't work in the Western world.

Crisco
07-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Actually, I believe they do. Their ethos and culture doesn't work in the Western world.

It's the same as any ghetto culture.

Keep your mouth shut. No police.

que
08-02-2009, 05:47 PM
i don't even remember noticing the curse words. looking back on it, i think it was essential part of telling the story of the characters and what kind of people they were. the movie was about cussing thugs and a cussing senile old man who is pissed off at the world around him. doesn't sound too unrealistic to me. in fact is sounds pretty dang realistic if you ask me.