PDA

View Full Version : Car Boot Sale

Tyburn
07-18-2009, 08:07 PM
I dont know if you have them in America, but they are like a market place where anyone can bring along stuff they dont want or need anymore and sell it to the general public at a very low cost. I'm doing one tommorow to raise some extra money...its my first...I'm a bit nervous actually :unsure-1:

Anyway...thought Id post something on the informations of what I'm selling

Every Sunday in a big Field outside the Southern part of Harrogate called Pannel, a major carboot sale is hosted. From 6am Sellers arrive, and pay about 10pounds to set up a stall, from 7am the buyers arrive. Its one of the biggest in the local area. Although it happens in all weathers during the summer, I wont be going if the weather is either too wet or windy, there is a second opening for me in August if the weather falls sour tommorow but I hope that doesnt happen. Contributions for this event have come mainly from myself, although my parents have donated books and my sisters some furniture. I havent seen the two items of furniture which include a book shelf and a table...so excluding those, I thought I'd list a copy of my inventory with the starting prices.

Remember, if late into the morning nothing is selling, I shall be forced to lower the prices on all the goods. But this tells you in a perfect world, without the furniture what I have the potential to make. I have a forty pound float, I have cleaned up and priced up with little stickers all the items, and have loaded them in boxes ready to go. My Mother gave me some Card cuts outs that she had spare so that I can do some general announcments, they are fantastic eye catching colours which is great. I hope to stick them on with some tack tommorow. I'm supplying bags (since I work in a supermarket) and receipts, (should people want them for the electricals) I am not doing refunds though...they buy at their own risk. LOL If it rains during the day I shall quickly stuff all the electricals under the display table, and cover the rest with ...plastic bags :laugh:

I also have a little pack up ready to go!

Stock

1 Plant at £3
1 plant at £4
1 Candle holder at £2
1 Candle Holder at £1
1 giant Glass Ball at £1
1 Christian Ikon at 50p
1 Christian Ikon at £1
1 keychain car light (bats inc) at £2
1 Pack of Novelty decorated playing cards at £1
1 Small Swiss Army Knife at £3
1 Tiny Tape Measure at 50p
5 Tiny bottles of perfume (Branded!) at £1 Each = £5
1 Novelty pea-shooter, with three peas at 50p
1 cup at 50p
4 glasses at £1 Each = £4
1 Complete Recipe Kit at £8
1 Bar of soap at 50p
1 packet of novelty tissue design at 50p
1 electronic Photograph frame (card not inc) at £20
1 wireless USB adapter port (Software CD inc) at £1
1 bottle of Branded shaving Gel at £1
3 Bottles of Shampoo/Shower foam at £1 Each = £3
3 Novelty Cards at 50p Each = 1.50
1 packet of speciality envilopes at £1
1 Necklace at £1
1 Necklace at 50p
1 Vase at £4
1 Vase at £1
1 Metalic Door/wall plaque at £1
1 Large Clock (Bats not Inc) at £10
1 Lamp (bulb not Inc) at £5
4 Belts (hanger not Inc) at £2 each = £8
7 Ties (hanger not Inc) at £1 Each = £7
2 prayer card at 50p = £1
2 book mark at 50p each = £1
1 Christian resource pack at 50p
Book of basic prayers at 10p
8 Tapes within cassettes at 10p each = 80p
2 candle holder at £4 Each = £8
2 Novelty pencils at 50p each = £1
1 novelty pencil at £1
1 keyring at 10p
1 Volcano Lamp at £10
1 (Haunted) Touch Sensative lamp (Red bulb included) at £10
2 flasks at 20p Each = 40p
2 pair of shades at 10p = 20p
1 pair of shades at 50p
1 electronic spellmaster (bat not inc) at £5
1 Microwave egg poacher kit at 20p
1 Video Recorder with Tape (bat not inc) at £30
3 small baskets at 30p each = 90p
3 large baskets at 50p each = 1.50
1 set of windchimes at £3
2 Fridge magnets at £1 Each = £2
2 Exercise books at £2 Each = £4
1 Card at £1
1 Poster at 50p
1 poster at £1
6 blank CD cassettes at 10p each = 60p
1 Wall mounted Cross on plaque at £6
6 postcards at 10p each = 60p
1 airmail special writing kit at 1.50
1 book at £5
4 books at £3 Each = £12
13 Books at £2 Each = £26
5 Books at £1 Each = £5
3 books at 50p Each = 1.50
2 Photoframes at £2 Each = £4
1 Disk Holder at 50p
1 mask at 50p
1 pair of goggles at £1
1 Shower curtain set at £2
1 Magazine at 50p
38 VHS at 50p Each = £19
1 VHS at 25p
3 CDs at 25p Each = 75p
2 CDs at 50p each = £1
14 CDs at £1 Each = £14
18 DVDs at £2 Each = £36
2 Shirts (hangers included) at £5 Each = £10
1 Shirt (Hanger included) at £12
1 Mirror at £10

1 Bookcase ?
1 Table ?

a potential of plus £356.40p

At the minimum of each item of furniture being £5 that will be a possible total of £366.40p with the addition of the £40 float, meaning, I could leave the field with £406.40p.

I will have to be 20pence to enter the car boot sale, and £10 for my stall.

£396.20 then Assuming all sells at original price. I know I cant make more then this

Play The Man
07-18-2009, 08:18 PM
We would call it a "flea market" or "swap meet". Good luck!

bradwright
07-18-2009, 08:22 PM
hey Dave, i will take the wind chimes off your hands if they dont sell but you will have to pay the shipping and handling,:Whistle:

now how is that for a deal ?:ninja:

in answer to your previous Question i have been very busy for a while so not much time to stop by and chat but i really do miss our argu...i mean discussions that we have every once in a while.

Tyburn
07-18-2009, 08:32 PM
:laugh:

I'm trying to find a sticky hook, so I can hang them off the end of my table. I shall be recording live from the place, and even taking photos of the stall, so you shall see it all...in this thread.

I should be in bed asleep...I'm so knackered but every time I decide to go...I remember something I need to do before tommorow. This time tommorow I shall feel like death through lack of sleep and the medication i'm on :unsure: :laugh:

PTM...However it turns out, I am gonna ave me sum fun :happydancing:

MattHughesRocks
07-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Yard sale! I'm too stuck up for those though :laugh:

Chuck
07-18-2009, 10:00 PM
When did you get a car?????? :blink:

MattHughesRocks
07-19-2009, 03:39 AM
That was my first thought :laugh: I wonder how they got the name for that sale? :blink:

When did you get a car?????? :blink:

Play The Man
07-19-2009, 06:17 PM
So, how much did you make?

Tyburn
07-19-2009, 09:02 PM
I made £99 :w00t: my target was £100

The good thing is, I only sold about a third of my stock. I would have sold it all, but it rained with about two hours to go...and everyone packed up :sad:

The good news is, my Sister was in Ibiza last week, She says she's sorry she couldnt give me her stuff. She's moving house and got ALOT of stuff...

Enough so that we can make another go of it on our Reserve Day (which we had incase it rained today) There is a second Reserve Day thats cropped up thanks exclusively to my Father.

So We are hosting a Second Car Boot on the 19th of August :w00t:

I'll post the blog info below :)

Tyburn
07-19-2009, 09:09 PM
I was awake by 6am this morning, and I was extremely excited. I thought I would be tiered because I had not had my usual ammount of sleep after my early shift. But I wasnt. I got prepared and bang on time My Father arrived at 6.30 with his car.

When I went down to see him I discovered he had received two more boxes full of bric-a-brac. I was told that anything that didnt get sold had to go on to a charity shop. Unfortunately he hadnt got room in the car to fit the table we had planned to use as a display stand, but it turned out alright because rather then a table and a bookshelf, I'd been given two tables...so I decided to use them. I also had some tatty blankets to put over the table for my display.

We arrived at the field and paid our entry fee of £8. My Father had provided the float of £40, and a fold out chair for me to sit down on. The float consisted of

£10 as £1 coins
£10 as 50p Coins
£10 as 20p coins
£5 as 10p coins
£5 as 5p coins

They also donated a bottle of coffers for me to exchange at a coin machine which was very kind of them indeed. They donate their coffers to whichever child needs it most when the bottle is full.

He dumped all the stuff at 7am and I set everything up. I had planned to have three stages to the sale. The first stage would be to cover completely both tables with the blankets and arrange all the stock on the tables or on the floor infront of them where the blankets had flowed over the grass. I would leave it like this for the first few hours. Everything would be fixed in price except for hagglers. Then once I had sold some of my stock I would rearranged the remaining stock on the table, this time with my large POS signs, which would begin to drop the price and creat brackets for sale. I would remove the blankets and at this point the tables would be visable and available for sale. Then when I saw other people packing their stalls up, in the last hour, I would turn all the large POS signs over, and creat a bargain basement using my big boxes to contian all stock at a particular price, dirt cheap to be rid of this.

Sales in the first stage went best. Sales in the second stage werent so good. Then just as I was preparing to sell everything in the third stage the heavens opened. Although the shower was over in ten moments, it was a soft boot sale, and all the customers and sellers fled as though it were acid rain. Thats when I called for Father to return.

So a dissapointing ending, had the sun remained for just an hour longer I'm sure I would have gotten rid of almost everything and made possibly a further 25-50 pounds. But never mind.

The end result (After Float) was £99.81p Somehow I managed to collect $0.02 and also 1 Euro

1 min Video of Phase One http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pNq33dGlA4
1 Min Video of Phase Two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7eTey55t2U

Play The Man
07-19-2009, 09:54 PM
What about UK eBay? I am not sure of the fees involved. I have never sold anything on eBay, but I have made about a dozen purchases and I have been satisfied each time.

Tyburn
07-19-2009, 10:01 PM
What about UK eBay? I am not sure of the fees involved. I have never sold anything on eBay, but I have made about a dozen purchases and I have been satisfied each time.
I cant do Ebay...due to a poor credit rating....I cant use PayPal :unsure-1: :laugh:

London, debt...you know how it is :frantics:

DonnaMaria
07-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Wow Dave..........you sure did have a lot of crap!:blink:

I'm kidding! I have a ton myself which is why I am having a yard sale soon. Not only do I have all kinds of old stuff that belongs to me and my girls but I have a TON of stuff that I inherited from the previous owner when I moved in.

The lady who used to live in my house was a hoarder before she passed on. She lived during the Great Depression and as a result of her experience she saved EVERYTHING!

I had to throw out a bizillion tiny scraps of tin foil……….. pieces of bars of soap and tin cans......broken glass, piles of plastic bags and tree bark that she collected,:blink: Magazines, egg shells, twigs, corn cobs, fabric squares. It literally took months. And a dumpster the size of about 4 cars end to end.

I really thought I would find Jimmy Hoffa buried in the basement somewhere. Under piles of newspaper and old Meow Mix boxes……………..

Of course she had about 50 cats. We won't go there..............:blink:

And I STILL have three barns worth of stuff!!!! When I have my yard sale I am just opening up the barns and the garage and posting a sign that says "Make me an offer!":laugh:

MattHughesRocks
07-20-2009, 02:46 AM
Wow! :blink: What are you going to do with all that money? :w00t:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Couldnt resist :ashamed:

Wow Dave..........you sure did have a lot of crap!:blink:

I'm kidding! I have a ton myself which is why I am having a yard sale soon. Not only do I have all kinds of old stuff that belongs to me and my girls but I have a TON of stuff that I inherited from the previous owner when I moved in.

The lady who used to live in my house was a hoarder before she passed on. She lived during the Great Depression and as a result of her experience she saved EVERYTHING!

I had to throw out a bizillion tiny scraps of tin foil……….. pieces of bars of soap and tin cans......broken glass, piles of plastic bags and tree bark that she collected,:blink: Magazines, egg shells, twigs, corn cobs, fabric squares. It literally took months. And a dumpster the size of about 4 cars end to end.

I really thought I would find Jimmy Hoffa buried in the basement somewhere. Under piles of newspaper and old Meow Mix boxes……………..

Of course she had about 50 cats. We won't go there..............:blink:

And I STILL have three barns worth of stuff!!!! When I have my yard sale I am just opening up the barns and the garage and posting a sign that says "Make me an offer!":laugh: