PDA

View Full Version : Which Bible do you use?

eric84
07-17-2009, 10:24 PM
I have seen quotes on other threads that are from different versions of the Bible, just curious which ones people use. I personally use the King James Version.

Rev
07-17-2009, 10:27 PM
NASB and KJV I like the NASB because of the older manuscripts.

eric84
07-17-2009, 10:29 PM
NASB and KJV I like the NASB because of the older manuscripts.

Whats the NASB stand for?

Rev
07-17-2009, 10:38 PM
New American Standard Bible

Rev
07-17-2009, 10:39 PM
If you do any Greek or Hebrew study, then you will see why I like it. It is closer to being literal than any other English translation we have. I study from the greek and hebrew text when i can.

Play The Man
07-17-2009, 10:50 PM
I have heard great things about the ESV Study Bible and plan to order it in the near future.

Rev
07-17-2009, 10:55 PM
I have a copy of it right in front of me and it is AWESOME!!! Some of my Church members bought it for me as a study tool and I love the geography helps and other extras. Buy it! You wont regret it. Get the hard back if you are just going to use it for studying, it lays better on a desk and the pages are better protected.

Let me know what you think when you get it.

Chris F
07-18-2009, 12:13 AM
NASB and KJV are my prefrences. Sadly the NASB and others that use the Alexandrian manuscripts litteral leave out whole verses or phrases that are very key . here are a few examples

Matthew 6:13 KJV "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen." NASB puts the last two phrases in brackets and says they are not in the oldest and best texts (which are the Catholic corrupted texts out of Alexandria Egypt). It's a lie that cannot be proven; in fact the opposite is easily proven. Many verses are done this way.

Matthew 6:33 KJV "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." NASB "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you."

Matthew 8:29 KJV "And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?" NASB "And behold, they cried out, saying, "What do we have to do with You, Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?"" NASB leaves out the word 'Jesus.' Where is Jesus?

Matthew 9:18 KJV "While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live." NASB "While He was saying these things to them, behold, there came a synagogue official, and bowed down before Him, saying, "My daughter has just died; but come and lay Your hand on her, and she will live."" The NASB changes 'Worshipped Him' to 'Bowed down before him'. Bowing down is not worship. You bow to the Queen of England in respect without worshipping her. If you don't want to admit Jesus is God, then you can't admit worship of Him.

A few more similar verses:

Matthew 20:20 KJV "Then came to him the mother of Zebedee's children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him." NASB "Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to Him with her sons, bowing down, and making a request of Him." The NASB changes 'worshipped him' to 'bowed down before him.'

Mark 5:6 KJV "But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him," NASB "And seeing Jesus from a distance, he ran up and bowed down before Him;" The NASB changes 'worshipped him' to bowed down before him.'

Matthew 4: 40 says 'Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.' Jesus accepted worship and admitted He was God! In Revelation 22:8-9 KJV "And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which showed me these things. {9} Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God." NASB "And I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things. {9} And he said to me, "Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book; worship God."" John did not accept worship.

Acts 10:25-26 KJV "And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him. {26} But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man." NASB "And when it came about that Peter entered, Cornelius met him, and fell at his feet and worshiped him. {26} But Peter raised him up, saying, "Stand up; I too am just a man."" Peter did not accept worship. Jesus did because He is God.

Matthew 13:51 KJV "Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto Him, Yea, Lord." NASB ""Have you understood all these things?" They said to Him, "Yes."" NASB leaves out 'Jesus saith unto them' and 'Lord.' This is trying to do away with the divinity of Jesus and His Lordship.

Matthew 16:20 KJV "Then charged He his disciples that they should tell no man that He was Jesus the Christ." NASB "Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was the Christ." NASB leaves out "Jesus," as it does in numerous verses.

Matthew 20:20 KJV "Then came to him the mother of Zebedee's children with her sons, worshipping him. ." NASB "Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to Him with her sons, bowing down, and making a request of Him." NASB again changes "worshipping" to "kneeling down."

Matthew 25:13 KJV "Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh." NASB ""Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour." NASB leaves out "wherein the Son of man cometh."

Mark 1:14 KJV "Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God." NASB "And after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God," NASB leaves out 'of the kingdom'. It isn't the gospel of God, but of the kingdom of God.

Mark 5:6 KJV "But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him," NASB "And seeing Jesus from a distance, he ran up and bowed down before Him;" NASB changes "worshipped" to "fell on his knees."

Mark 9:24 KJV "And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief." NASB "Immediately the boy's father cried out and began saying, "I do believe; help my unbelief."" NASB leaves out the reference to Jesus as "Lord."

Mark 11:10 KJV "Blessed be the kingdom of our father David, that cometh in the name of the Lord: Hosanna in the highest." NASB "Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David; Hosanna in the highest!"" NASB changes it to: "Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David; hosanna in the highest." This is saying that His Kingdom hasn't come. Jesus is already sitting on the throne, at the right hand of the Father.

Luke 4:8 KJV "And Jesus said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord they God, and him only shalt thou serve." NASB "And Jesus answered and said to him, "It is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD AND SERVE HIM ONLY.'"" NASB leaves out "Get thee behind me Satan."

Luke 4:41 KJV "And devils also came out of many, crying out, and saying, Thou art Christ the Son of God ..." NASB "And demons also were coming out of many, crying out and saying, "You are the Son of God!" And rebuking them, He would not allow them to speak, because they knew Him to be the Christ." NASB leaves out the reference to Jesus by the devils that He was "Christ."

Luke 7:31 KJV "And the Lord said, Whereunto then shall I liken the men of this generation? and to what are they like?" NASB ""To what then shall I compare the men of this generation, and what are they like?" NASB leaves out "And the Lord said."

Luke 11:2 KJV "And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth." NASB "And He said to them, "When you pray, say: 'Father, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come." He isn't "Our Father" but just Father, and He isn't in Heaven, because that tells you something of who He is and points to Him as the Heavenly Father, so both references to heaven are removed. He must be here on earth. The reason for this is that the New Agers and Catholics believe in the "universal fatherhood" of God. My Father or Our Father becomes "The Father." This can be seen in some of the verses below; John 10:30,32; 14:28, etc. He is Father to all, and with it is the "Brotherhood of man." Then what happened to His will! Most today want to do their own, and justify it, and say that is the way it is supposed to be, but not so. We are to say "If the Lord will. . ."

James 4:15 KJV "For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that." Satan wants you to do his will, and not the Father's.

Luke 11:4 KJV "And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil." NASB "'And forgive us our sins, For we ourselves also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.'"" Even Satanists and Eastern Mysticists desire cleansing from sin, and Satan desires to masquerade as the sin forgiver and destroyer. Example: From the Complete Book of Magic and Witchcraft, part of a Satanic ritual states: "Grant that I may be cleansed by this water from all my sins." So Satan doesn't take this part out. But think about it; why don't they want you to be delivered from evil? This is all part of the conspiracy. First they deny the existence of Satan. They say that Satan is not a person, but merely a "power of evil." Then they assert that Lucifer and the Devil are separate and distinct entities. Satan tries to hide his real identity, and hide behind other names. New Agers say that Satan is a figment of the Christians imagination. They point out that Lucifer means 'day-star' or 'light giver' and say that Lucifer is the brightest of God's angels. Albert Pike said, "Lucifer is God." That's the next step in the deception: claiming that Lucifer is a good angel or even God or Christ Himself.

Luke 22:31 KJV "And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat." NASB ""Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat;" NASB leaves out "And the Lord said" and it changes "hath desired to have you" to "has demanded permission."

Luke 23:42 KJV The thief on the cross spoke: "And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom." NASB "And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!"" NASB changes it to "And he was saying, Jesus, remember me when you come in your kingdom." It leaves out the word "Lord" and puts his kingdom off into the future.

Luke 24:51 KJV "And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven." NASB "And it came about that while He was blessing them, He parted from them." NASB leaves out "and carried up into heaven."

John 1:18 KJV "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." NASB "No man has seen God at any time; the only begotten God, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him." NASB changes "only begotten Son" to "only begotten God" and changes "declared" to "explained".

John 1:27 KJV "He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose." NASB ""It is He who comes after me, the thong of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie."" NASB leaves out "preferred before me."

John 3:13 KJV "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven." NASB ""And no one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven, even the Son of Man." NASB leaves out "which is in heaven."

John 9:35 KJV "Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?" NASB "Jesus heard that they had put him out; and finding him, He said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?"" NASB changes 'Dost thou believe on the Son of God?' to 'Do you believe in the Son of Man?' It does away with Christ's' divinity.

John 10:30 KJV "I and my Father are one." NASB "I and the Father are one." Again, Satan is trying to do away with the Heavenly Father, and sit himself on the throne. These are some more of the verses doing away with the Personal "My" or "Our" Father for an impersonal one, as well as changing "Our Lord" and "My Lord" to "The Lord" in referring to Jesus. John 10:32 KJV "Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?" NASB Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?"

John 14:28 KJV "Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you, If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I." NASB "You heard that I said to you, 'I go away, and I will come to you.' If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced, because I go to the Father; for the Father is greater than I." This is but a few of many such verses. Galatians 1:3 KJV "Grace be to you, and peace, from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ," NASB "Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ." 2Thessalonians 1:2 KJV "Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father . . ." NASB "Grace to you and peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." 1Timothy 1:2 KJV "Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father. . ." NASB "to Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father ... "

Acts 2:30 KJV "Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;" NASB "And so, because he was a prophet, and knew that GOD HAD SWORN TO HIM WITH AN OATH TO SEAT one OF HIS DESCENDANTS UPON HIS THRONE," NASB leaves out "according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ." Where is Christ?

Romans 14:10 KJV ". .for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ." NASB "But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God." NASB changes 'judgment seat of Christ' to 'judgment seat of God.' To stand at the judgment seat of Christ is to give an account to God. Again Christ is left out of His place as the one who will judge us. It is rejecting His Divinity.

Galatians 6:17 KJV "From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus." NASB "From now on let no one cause trouble for me, for I bear on my body the brand-marks of Jesus." NASB leaves out "Lord." They don't mind calling Jesus Savior, but they don't want you to surrender your life to His Lordship. The want people to think that you can accept and receive Jesus as Savior, for "fire insurance" to keep you from hell, without receiving Him as Lord.

Ephesians 3:9 KJV ".. which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ." NASB "and to bring to light what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in God, who created all things;" NASB leaves out "by Jesus Christ" to undermine His Deity.

Ephesians 3:14 KJV "For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." NASB "For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father," The NASB leaves out "of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Colossians1:2 KJV "To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." NASB "to the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who are at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father." NASB leaves out "and the Lord Jesus Christ."

1 Timothy 2:7 KJV "Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity." NASB "And for this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying) as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth." NASB leaves out "in Christ."

1 Timothy 3:16 KJV "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory." NASB "And by common confession great is the mystery of godliness: He who was revealed in the flesh, Was vindicated in the Spirit, Beheld by angels, Proclaimed among the nations, Believed on in the world, Taken up in glory." NASB changes 'God was manifest in the flesh' to 'He who was revealed in the flesh.' Also the added 'who' changes the sentence structure and meaning. Jesus came in the flesh and was God manifest in the flesh. This is lost in the NASB.

2 Timothy 4:22 KJV "The Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Grace be with you. Amen." NASB "The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you." NASB leaves out "Jesus Christ." So whom is the reference speaking of that is Lord? They don't want Jesus to get the honor and glory due Him, nor for you to serve Him as your Lord and Savior.

Hebrews 2:7 KJV "Thou made Him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst Him with glory and honour, and didst set Him over the works of thy hands." NASB ""THOU HAST MADE HIM FOR A LITTLE WHILE LOWER THAN THE ANGELS; THOU HAST CROWNED HIM WITH GLORY AND HONOR, AND HAST APPOINTED HIM OVER THE WORKS OF THY HANDS;" NASB leaves out "and didst set Him over the works of thy hands." Why do they continually leave out the most significant parts of these verses that show Jesus to be both Lord and Savior?

1 John 5:7 KJV "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." NASB "And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is the truth." NASB totally changes the meaning of the verse, leaving out the Father and the Word (Jesus) and has only one witness instead of three. This is leaving out the trinity.

1 John 5:13 KJV "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." NASB "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know that you have eternal life." NASB leaves out the last 13 words of the verse (underlined) that speak of putting our faith in Christ.

Revelation 1:11 KJV "Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and What thou seest, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia ..." NASB "saying, "Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: . . ."" NASB leaves out "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last." This is a reference to Christ, and who He is, as the eternal God, the only begotten of the Father, and the firstborn from the dead.

Revelation 5:14b KJV "... And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped Him that liveth for ever and ever." NASB "And the four living creatures kept saying, "Amen." And the elders fell down and worshiped." NASB leaves out "Him that liveth for ever and ever." Who were the elders worshipping? The lamb who was slain, the one who said in Revelation 2:8 "These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive."

Chris F
07-18-2009, 12:13 AM
sorry there are so many just did not want to be accused of cherry picking

Chuck
07-18-2009, 12:17 AM
For my daily reading I use NKJV....... sometimes when I teach I'll use NLT or NIV...

VCURamFan
07-18-2009, 05:40 AM
I typically use the ESV since that's what my pastor uses (& it's therefore easier to follow along when he's reading in the service), but I also own NKJV, NASB, NIV, etc., which I turn to when I'm studying/prepping to teach so I can get a wide variety of translations.

Play The Man
07-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Does anyone have the Archaeology Study Bible (NIV)? I have seen it on bookshelves and almost bought it but had not read a review. How have others found the NIV? Wasn't there a controversy concerning the use of gender-neutral language a few years back?

Chris F
07-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Does anyone have the Archaeology Study Bible (NIV)? I have seen it on bookshelves and almost bought it but had not read a review. How have others found the NIV? Wasn't there a controversy concerning the use of gender-neutral language a few years back?

The issue you are talking about was the release of the TNIV. They remove the gender to make it more accepted. When it says sons the put children. etc etc. It is not the Word of God. If God wanteds the writers to say gender neautral words he would have had them to. So my advice is stay away from the TNIV

Play The Man
07-18-2009, 04:41 PM
The issue you are talking about was the release of the TNIV. They remove the gender to make it more accepted. When it says sons the put children. etc etc. It is not the Word of God. If God wanteds the writers to say gender neautral words he would have had them to. So my advice is stay away from the TNIV

I have a question. It may sound ignorant. Why the T in front of NIV? Is that just for "The" or are you talking about something totally separate from NIV?

Chris F
07-18-2009, 04:48 PM
TNIV stands for Today's New International Version. Basically they are trying to say its modern and current. It is just like the NIV but the gender switch. The NIV is okay it has the same issue as the NASB because it used the Alexandrian text as well, so it is missing some verses and phrases. However for those who have difficulty reading at higher grade levels it is a lot more accurate then say the Message, NLT, and the CEV. These are men's paraphrases and ignore the basic rules of Greek and Hebrew.

Play The Man
07-18-2009, 04:58 PM
TNIV stands for Today's New International Version. Basically they are trying to say its modern and current. It is just like the NIV but the gender switch. The NIV is okay it has the same issue as the NASB because it used the Alexandrian text as well, so it is missing some verses and phrases. However for those who have difficulty reading at higher grade levels it is a lot more accurate then say the Message, NLT, and the CEV. These are men's paraphrases and ignore the basic rules of Greek and Hebrew.

Thank you

Chuck
07-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Ouch!

So people who can't read well use the NIV?? :huh:

Chris F
07-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Ouch!

So people who can't read well use the NIV?? :huh:

Not exactly what I said, but that seems to be the major reason why people avoid the KJV and NASB. They says they cannot understand it. Also that was the reason why Zondervan set out to create the NIV. They wanted a bible in the average reading level. When the NIV was created that was 7th grade. Today it is only 4th grade thus the reason for the NIrV and th NLT and CEV.

My opinion is God's work makes perfect sense no matter what your reading level or ability. I know a man who left school at 3rd grade and could not read. He got saved and taught himself to read using the KJV. Also up until the 1930's the KJV was used as a reading text in grade school studies. SO I doubt very seriously reading ability should stop anyone from reading Gods word in a more accurate translation.

Play The Man
07-18-2009, 06:57 PM

As a point of clarification, I was interested in the Archaeology Study Bible because of the notes on biblical archaeology. As best I know, the only version it comes in is NIV. I would be using it primarily to read about the archaeology. I would use a different version to read the biblical text. So, TNIV and NIV are completely different versions and the NIV, in your opinion, is passable but not optimal, and TNIV should be avoided; is that correct?

rearnakedchoke
07-18-2009, 07:00 PM
The Jerusalem Bible

Chris F
07-18-2009, 07:54 PM
As a point of clarification, I was interested in the Archaeology Study Bible because of the notes on biblical archaeology. As best I know, the only version it comes in is NIV. I would be using it primarily to read about the archaeology. I would use a different version to read the biblical text. So, TNIV and NIV are completely different versions and the NIV, in your opinion, is passable but not optimal, and TNIV should be avoided; is that correct?

TNIV should not be even an option. It is blasphemy in my opinion.

The notes that are in the archeology bible are in a separate book put out by Zondervan. They simply adapted it to form a study bible. I will try to get a title for you. I think the book is typically really cheap because it has been around for a long time.

As for completely different versions. They are the same in most parts. Only different in matters of gender. It is a NIV that is neutered to satisfy a worlds demand to be politically correct.

Play The Man
07-18-2009, 08:21 PM
TNIV should not be even an option. It is blasphemy in my opinion.

The notes that are in the archeology bible are in a separate book put out by Zondervan. They simply adapted it to form a study bible. I will try to get a title for you. I think the book is typically really cheap because it has been around for a long time.

As for completely different versions. They are the same in most parts. Only different in matters of gender. It is a NIV that is neutered to satisfy a worlds demand to be politically correct.

I did not know that. It would make much more sense for me to get the book than the study bible.

Chris F
07-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I did not know that. It would make much more sense for me to get the book than the study bible.

I will try to find the title. What I fear is that it is out of print and Zondervan has used it for its bible instead of making any new reprints. I am off to work here in a bit so it may take some time. I will try ot find out more for you.

Play The Man
07-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I will try to find the title. What I fear is that it is out of print and Zondervan has used it for its bible instead of making any new reprints. I am off to work here in a bit so it may take some time. I will try ot find out more for you.

Thank you. That is the great thing about the internet. Some on-line used bookstore on the other side of the country will have it for sale.

Chris F
07-18-2009, 08:31 PM
I called a friend who sells bibles and he said the notes are from a series of academic articles from several scholars like Walter Kaiser. SO I was wrong. the book I am thinking about is just similar in theme and that is it. I am sorry to mislead you. He also said that The Archeology Bible is being sold really cheap right now, so it is a good time to buy it if it interset you. And he said it usually drops real cheap around Christmas as well. Again sorry.:ashamed:

Play The Man
07-18-2009, 08:52 PM
I called a friend who sells bibles and he said the notes are from a series of academic articles from several scholars like Walter Kaiser. SO I was wrong. the book I am thinking about is just similar in theme and that is it. I am sorry to mislead you. He also said that The Archeology Bible is being sold really cheap right now, so it is a good time to buy it if it interset you. And he said it usually drops real cheap around Christmas as well. Again sorry.:ashamed:

Thank you for going the extra mile for a stranger. I have seen it pretty cheap at Costco.

Chuck
07-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Not exactly what I said, but that seems to be the major reason why people avoid the KJV and NASB. They says they cannot understand it. Also that was the reason why Zondervan set out to create the NIV. They wanted a bible in the average reading level. When the NIV was created that was 7th grade. Today it is only 4th grade thus the reason for the NIrV and th NLT and CEV.

My opinion is God's work makes perfect sense no matter what your reading level or ability. I know a man who left school at 3rd grade and could not read. He got saved and taught himself to read using the KJV. Also up until the 1930's the KJV was used as a reading text in grade school studies. SO I doubt very seriously reading ability should stop anyone from reading Gods word in a more accurate translation.

Oh the irony!! :-D

I'm just playing with you Chris and I would agree... just couldn't pass up the chance to have a little fun :wink:

NateR
07-18-2009, 10:17 PM
NASB and KJV are my prefrences. Sadly the NASB and others that use the Alexandrian manuscripts litteral leave out whole verses or phrases that are very key . here are a few examples

I have a really good NASB Bible that, if it removes a portion of a verse or an entire verse, will include the missing passages in the footnotes on that page.

However, my primary Bible that I take with me to church is an NKJV (New King James Version). But I also study out of the King James, NASB, the NET Bible, Hollman Christian Standard, a Jewish Tanakh (translated from the Masoretic text) and a Messianic Jewish Bible called The Complete Jewish Bible.

So, I never confine myself to just one translation, I think that would be a mistake when it comes to intensive Bible studies.

It's not that I'm picking and choosing what I want to believe from different versions, I just don't want to base my theology on a single English translation. Especially since so many levels of meaning are lost going from Hebrew and Greek to English.

cubsfan47
07-18-2009, 10:28 PM
I use something called the Precise Parallel New Testament along with NKJV. It's been instructive to see the differences between the translations. If you know Greek (I do not) that's in there as one of the translations.

For me the message seems to come through regardless of the translation. Perhaps i am fooling myself though.

warriorlion
07-18-2009, 10:50 PM
I think I am similar to most here, I tend to use different versions for what I am doing, I tend to reference the NIV when on here coz from my experience its the one most readily available, seems every bible I have ever had as a gift is NIV, unless I have asked for a specific one.

I tend to read the NIV just because the language is simple. However I study alot of them, I tend to cheat and use biblegateway.com, and can quickly reference pretty much all the versions in a matter of mins.

I like the NASB and the ESV for prep work, or in depth study. But I personally dont think there is anything wrong with things like the Message provided you are not taking taht as your only source of refernce for God's word

Chuck
07-18-2009, 10:52 PM
I think I am similar to most here, I tend to use different versions for what I am doing, I tend to reference the NIV when on here coz from my experience its the one most readily available, seems every bible I have ever had as a gift is NIV, unless I have asked for a specific one.

I tend to read the NIV just because the language is simple. However I study alot of them, I tend to cheat and use biblegateway.com, and can quickly reference pretty much all the versions in a matter of mins.

I like the NASB and the ESV for prep work, or in depth study. But I personally dont think there is anything wrong with things like the Message provided you are not taking taht as your only source of refernce for God's word

Have you tried the Blue Letter Bible?

warriorlion
07-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Have you tried the Blue Letter Bible?

the what>??

warriorlion
07-18-2009, 10:58 PM
never mind I just googled it and now I know

Never used the site before, any good????

Chuck
07-19-2009, 01:13 AM
never mind I just googled it and now I know

Never used the site before, any good????

I really enjoy it... easy access to different translations, commentary's, concordance etc... I also have a Bible on my iPhone that I use a lot.

warriorlion
07-19-2009, 01:31 AM
yeah been thinking of getting me one of those

Chris F
07-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Oh the irony!! :-D

I'm just playing with you Chris and I would agree... just couldn't pass up the chance to have a little fun :wink:

:laugh:

Chris F
07-19-2009, 05:17 PM
I have a really good NASB Bible that, if it removes a portion of a verse or an entire verse, will include the missing passages in the footnotes on that page.

However, my primary Bible that I take with me to church is an NKJV (New King James Version). But I also study out of the King James, NASB, the NET Bible, Hollman Christian Standard, a Jewish Tanakh (translated from the Masoretic text) and a Messianic Jewish Bible called The Complete Jewish Bible.

So, I never confine myself to just one translation, I think that would be a mistake when it comes to intensive Bible studies.

It's not that I'm picking and choosing what I want to believe from different versions, I just don't want to base my theology on a single English translation. Especially since so many levels of meaning are lost going from Hebrew and Greek to English.

That is wise. They have parallel bibles just for that circumstance. Most bible will tell you somewhere what the other manuscripts say but few people read those footnotes. I prefer to just read the Greek and Hebrew but I find myself getting mush lazier as of late when it comes to that.

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 10:18 PM
King James....I think,....or I use the online Bible :laugh:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
07-27-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm a big believer in the King James version! While I can't provide scientific proof I just have this strong belief that the King James Bible is the correct one. I can't explain it other than to say I think that comes from God. Not trying to disrespect anybody just trying to give my view!

Moose
07-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Amplified, NIV, NKJ, New American Standard.

Play The Man
08-03-2009, 04:00 AM
I have a copy of it right in front of me and it is AWESOME!!! Some of my Church members bought it for me as a study tool and I love the geography helps and other extras. Buy it! You wont regret it. Get the hard back if you are just going to use it for studying, it lays better on a desk and the pages are better protected.

Let me know what you think when you get it.

I bought one and it came a couple of days ago. Beautiful! I have read some of the articles on Intertestamental history and the Herodian Dynasty. The articles really help give a good background to the events of the New Testament. All I can say is "Wow!"

Mike1983
08-11-2009, 11:33 PM
I use a wide variety of translations for my personal Bible study, but my two favorites are the ESV and the NKJV. I'd like to get an NASB sometime too.