PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational leaders

TexasRN
07-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Have you ever had someone in your life who just inspired you to be a better person, who touched your life in such a way that you still remember them years later? I had a teacher in HS who taught my AP English class. She had 2 children of her own who were severely disabled and she still spent extra time preparing lessons for us. She made it fun for us to do the extra work and was always fighting for us to have things we needed at school. She had such an impact on my life that I named my daughter after her and have finally found someone who knew how to reach her by email.

Who has inspired you?

~Amy

Crisco
07-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Have you ever had someone in your life who just inspired you to be a better person, who touched your life in such a way that you still remember them years later? I had a teacher in HS who taught my AP English class. She had 2 children of her own who were severely disabled and she still spent extra time preparing lessons for us. She made it fun for us to do the extra work and was always fighting for us to have things we needed at school. She had such an impact on my life that I named my daughter after her and have finally found someone who knew how to reach her by email.

Who has inspired you?

~Amy

Ghenghis Khan.

and

My parents.

Primadawn
07-16-2009, 10:38 PM
There was an older guy who lived on our road that used to walk from his house out past ours every day after he had a heart attack. He was probably in his 50's when I was a kid.
Anyway...one day I decided I was going to take his walk with him. And he let me! And he talked to me like a person, instead of like a bother. We talked about everything...from the time I was around 9 until I moved away in my mid 20's--as long as I was home, I would walk with him. He would bring me prize-winning roses from his garden and give me college/career advice. I would make him chuckle with tales of my exploits.
My mom says he still asks about me whenever she sees him. I am not in touch with him nearly as much as I should be. His name is Jim Dulaney and he's in his 80s now--Amy you've inspired me! I'm going to visit him later this month when I'm home!

TexasRN
07-16-2009, 10:42 PM
There was an older guy who lived on our road that used to walk from his house out past ours every day after he had a heart attack. He was probably in his 50's when I was a kid.
Anyway...one day I decided I was going to take his walk with him. And he let me! And he talked to me like a person, instead of like a bother. We talked about everything...from the time I was around 9 until I moved away in my mid 20's--as long as I was home, I would walk with him. He would bring me prize-winning roses from his garden and give me college/career advice. I would make him chuckle with tales of my exploits.
My mom says he still asks about me whenever she sees him. I am not in touch with him nearly as much as I should be. His name is Jim Dulaney and he's in his 80s now--Amy you've inspired me! I'm going to visit him later this month when I'm home!

Awww, Dawn....that's too sweet. I hope that the teacher I contacted remembers me and doesn't get all freaked out that I got her email address. :laugh: I played that song from Beaches, "The Wind Beneath My Wings", to her before we graduated and she cried. It was all quite cheesy but you know how teenage girls and their dramatic hormone swings can be. I had to tell her how much she meant to me. Oh, and she loved my senior thesis about Shakespeare being gay. I got an A.

~Amy

Primadawn
07-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Awww, Dawn....that's too sweet. I hope that the teacher I contacted remembers me and doesn't get all freaked out that I got her email address. :laugh: I played that song from Beaches, "The Wind Beneath My Wings", to her before we graduated and she cried. It was all quite cheesy but you know how teenage girls and their dramatic hormone swings can be. I had to tell her how much she meant to me. Oh, and she loved my senior thesis about Shakespeare being gay. I got an A.

~Amy

OMG Amy--we're even alike in our cheesy dramatic teenage moments...! My freshman year of college, my mom and I really had a hard time with each other--me asserting my independence and her not wanting to cut the cord...
Anyway, after a particularly trying time...I sent her flowers and on the card, I wrote, "Did you ever know that you're my hero?" (Gack! I know...) but she cried and cried...
Then about 10 years later, she sent me a package--when I opened it, it was an angel figurine. I thought, "Wow, Mom's losing it--it's my sister Deana that collects angels, not me..." But then I wound it up...and it started playing that song....Argh! I'm getting teary again now, just thinking about it...:cry:

TexasRN
07-16-2009, 10:55 PM
OMG Amy--we're even alike in our cheesy dramatic teenage moments...! My freshman year of college, my mom and I really had a hard time with each other--me asserting my independence and her not wanting to cut the cord...
Anyway, after a particularly trying time...I sent her flowers and on the card, I wrote, "Did you ever know that you're my hero?" (Gack! I know...) but she cried and cried...
Then about 10 years later, she sent me a package--when I opened it, it was an angel figurine. I thought, "Wow, Mom's losing it--it's my sister Deana that collects angels, not me..." But then I wound it up...and it started playing that song....Argh! I'm getting teary again now, just thinking about it...:cry:

Yeah, I caught that song on the radio last night after gym and I got all teary in the car singing it. Gosh darn it, I could cry right now!

My other hero would be my mom because of her outlook on life even with the stress placed on her right now caring for my dad. She never stays down when things look bleak. She just does what needs to be done and never sits around feeling sorry for herself.

~Amy

Tyburn
07-16-2009, 11:33 PM
My Mother, She is an Inspiration to us all :)

VCURamFan
07-17-2009, 04:28 AM
My father has always been huge in my life. He's just a good old fashioned man: up at the crack of dawn, at the office all day, home to have family worship & do anything Mom needs, helps the kids with homework, goes off to church meetings, runs to a family/friend's house to help with their sink/computer/furnace/etc., and doesn't bat an eye. He's the one that everyone turns to & relies on & he will gladly take their burdens & never once complain about the load he's carrying on his shoulders. If I ever grow up to be half the man that Dad is, I'll count myself blessed.

On our mission trip last year, we were on the way to the worksite on Monday & he came down the aisle to the back of the bus where I was sitting & gave me a note in which he told me how proud of me he was and how thankful he was to see how I'd matured & how the younger guys were looking up to me. I still keep that note in my wallet & look at it everyday. It means the world to me.

$h!t, now I'm tearing up, too.

TexasRN
07-17-2009, 01:18 PM
My father has always been huge in my life. He's just a good old fashioned man: up at the crack of dawn, at the office all day, home to have family worship & do anything Mom needs, helps the kids with homework, goes off to church meetings, runs to a family/friend's house to help with their sink/computer/furnace/etc., and doesn't bat an eye. He's the one that everyone turns to & relies on & he will gladly take their burdens & never once complain about the load he's carrying on his shoulders. If I ever grow up to be half the man that Dad is, I'll count myself blessed.

On our mission trip last year, we were on the way to the worksite on Monday & he came down the aisle to the back of the bus where I was sitting & gave me a note in which he told me how proud of me he was and how thankful he was to see how I'd matured & how the younger guys were looking up to me. I still keep that note in my wallet & look at it everyday. It means the world to me.

$h!t, now I'm tearing up, too.

Oh Ben, that is a great story. Dads are so great. So are moms. They really do help influence who we become with their actions.

~Amy

Crisco
07-17-2009, 01:39 PM
pfft you guys are gay.

No I'm sorry that was a bad joke.

Tyburn
07-17-2009, 05:24 PM
pfft you guys are gay.

No I'm sorry that was a bad joke.
:laugh: BRUNO! :laugh:

VCURamFan
07-17-2009, 05:39 PM