PDA

View Full Version : BLOG: UFC 100 Recap

NateR
07-13-2009, 11:40 PM
From Matt's blog:

Well, the fights went a lot like I thought they would. I knew Dan Henderson would try and stalk him down with that big right hand and it was just a matter of time before he was going to figure out the range. Now that I see Bisping is okay, I can say that I liked the ending to that fight the best. Dan usually doesn't have much to say and you could tell after the fight that Michael had gotten under his skin. With the first big right hand Dan said "good night." With the second, after Michael was on the ground, he said "sleep tight." Dan is a friend of mine and we're a lot more alike than Michael Bisping and I.

I would have to say the GSP/Alves fight was the most boring fight to watch. Not trying to say that in a bad way, just compared to every other fight, it was the least exciting. However, GSP does do such a good job of transitioning from his striking to his takedowns.

After I watched the weigh-ins, I knew Frank Mir was going to have some problems. It looks as though he cut weight and tried to get as fit as he could. I think that he didn't have the strength to even compete with Brock. Brock is a good friend of mine, I'm glad to see him win and a lot of people don't realize that he is a very intense person. He did go a little over the top after the fight, but I found some of his comments amusing. Brock's a good guy, he just got caught up in the heat of the moment. Like everyone he will get beat, but right now it seems like the UFC will have to put in two guys at once to beat him.

Here is a video of Jens' wedding from 4th of July weekend. As I've already said, I had a great time up there and saw some friends that I haven't seen in a long time:
http://vimeo.com/5492264

Finally, this is a hunt that I'm getting ready to go on next month. If anyone wants to sign up here's the information:
http://www.matt-hughes.com/images/blogimages/MH-AD-FISHN-HUNTN.jpg
For more information, you can go to:
http://www.boar-hunter.com/buck_and_boar_trophy_hunting.html

-matt

matthughesfan21
07-13-2009, 11:52 PM
I thought it was cool how they announced them husband and wife...good blog, thanks matt

Bonnie
07-14-2009, 12:52 AM
Beautiful unique wedding. Their baby is adorable. :)

As to the fights, my favorite was Henderson/Bisping; good way to put it "good night and sleep tight"! :laugh:

As to Brock, well, you know him, if you say he's a good guy, I'll take your word for it. If I had to go by how he acted after the fight... :wink:

VCURamFan
07-14-2009, 04:02 AM
The only thing I disagree with Matt about is the GSP/Alves fight: I think that Fitch/Thiago was less exciting, simply because it was a more technical battle. Other than that, I approve of Matt's blog!

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
07-14-2009, 04:10 AM
What an awesome weekend, great Expo, great fights!!!!

The highlight of my night was the KO of Bisping:dizzy:
Hendo said he would shut him up with his fist:punch:
I would have to say, "Mission Accomplished!":party0019:
The entire arena stood to their feet and was cheering so loud:applause:
That will be on Ultimate Knockouts for sure:punch: :punch: :punch:
Loved it, and Loved his comment!:)

GSP is a very well rounded fighter
But he doesnt seem to finish fights:no:
BJ quit, 5 rounds with Fitch and Thiago......:huh:
So, I agree with Matt, It was my least fav fight of the night:winking0071:

As far as Brock, I personally dont care for his attitude:thumbsdown:
He is disrespectful as he flipped the whole arena off:censored:
I know he comes from the fake wrestling, but kids do look up to him:huh:
It shows his true colors, I feel he is all about himself, cocky & greedy:greedy:
Just my opinion!:)

All in all......Vegas/fights/expo..........what more could you ask for?
Got to wear my new Hughes 9 shirt & new octagon necklace!:happy0159:
I enjoyed being there and being part of UFC History!!! :jumping0001:

Fighters....
I got to meet some fighters I had never met before...Kenflo & Roger Huerta
Stood in line at Starbucks behind Jens and Kannicka....got pics
Got to see this guy Matt Hughes...maybe you've heard of him:Whistle:
Saw Forrest, Rampage, Wanderlei, Sherk, Chuck, Karo, Diaz, Couture....
We were first row lower level, right off the floor....so as Gracie, Lyota Machida, Clay Guida, U. Faber all went to their seats......I got pics!
What a great weekend!!!:)

:happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing:

Hughes_GOAT
07-14-2009, 05:15 AM
i agree with you on Brock, Matt.

Bonnie
07-14-2009, 05:45 AM

What are you agreeing about--one of it, some of it, or all of it? :unsure-1:

Bonnie
07-14-2009, 05:46 AM
What an awesome weekend, great Expo, great fights!!!!

The highlight of my night was the KO of Bisping:dizzy:
Hendo said he would shut him up with his fist:punch:
I would have to say, "Mission Accomplished!":party0019:
The entire arena stood to their feet and was cheering so loud:applause:
That will be on Ultimate Knockouts for sure:punch: :punch: :punch:
Loved it, and Loved his comment!:)

GSP is a very well rounded fighter
But he doesnt seem to finish fights:no:
BJ quit, 5 rounds with Fitch and Thiago......:huh:
So, I agree with Matt, It was my least fav fight of the night:winking0071:

As far as Brock, I personally dont care for his attitude:thumbsdown:
He is disrespectful as he flipped the whole arena off:censored:
I know he comes from the fake wrestling, but kids do look up to him:huh:
It shows his true colors, I feel he is all about himself, cocky & greedy:greedy:
Just my opinion!:)

All in all......Vegas/fights/expo..........what more could you ask for?
Got to wear my new Hughes 9 shirt & new octagon necklace!:happy0159:
I enjoyed being there and being part of UFC History!!! :jumping0001:

Fighters....
I got to meet some fighters I had never met before...Kenflo & Roger Huerta
Stood in line at Starbucks behind Jens and Kannicka....got pics
Got to see this guy Matt Hughes...maybe you've heard of him:Whistle:
Saw Forrest, Rampage, Wanderlei, Sherk, Chuck, Karo, Diaz, Couture....
We were first row lower level, right off the floor....so as Gracie, Lyota Machida, Clay Guida, U. Faber all went to their seats......I got pics!
What a great weekend!!!:)

:happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing:

Doc T, you got some pics for us? :w00t:

Hughes_GOAT
07-14-2009, 05:59 AM
What are you agreeing about--one of it, some of it, or all of it? :unsure-1:
most of it.

Bonnie
07-14-2009, 06:11 AM
most of it.

Thanks for narrowing that down for me. :rolleyes:

Smarty Pants! :tongue0011:

logrus
07-14-2009, 06:23 AM

Did Matt just agree with me??? :frantics:

Llamafighter
07-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Glad you had a great weekend, Matt. The Expo seemed like a great time. I hope they continue to do them.

(not that it matters) but I agree with you on the Bisping hendo fight. I hate to see anyone get knocked cold like that, but you talk that much smack to a legend in the sport, and...

IMO The problem with what Brock said and did was that we as fans don't have that personal relationship with him that you, and Dana, and other people have with him. We go by the actions of the man that walks into the cage and a few moments of interview and behind the scenes stuff.
It did make a difference in my eyes when he manned up and apologized in the press conference, but it will probably affect my opinion of him until he proves he can be a good sport and have some control.

I thought the GSP fight was pretty entertaining. There was really no moment when GSP was in any danger and it seemed that GSP took Alves completely out of whatever gameplan he brought in, but I liked that sort of dominance and athleticism. Like your fight with Serra, and pretty much every title defense you had. Take him down and beat on him til the whistle blows or something opens up. I enjoy that. mainly cause the back and forth fights cause me anxiety:)

Good luck on the hunt and hope your family is doing good!!

Twinsmama
07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
I must be PMSing. I cried in about 5 different places when I watched that wedding!! Their cake was just too cute. Jens looked thick. Everyone that went to that wedding will definately remember it.

NateR
07-14-2009, 04:23 PM
I think that maybe if GSP had spent more time actually trying to submit/pound out Alves, instead of checking the clock every round, then maybe he could have actually finished that fight and it wouldn't have been so boring.

I don't say this because I hate GSP or believe he is untalented/unskilled. I say it because I KNOW how talented/skilled he is and I KNOW he can do better than what we saw Saturday night. I say it because I expect more from him.

Of course, the die-hard GSP fans are going to love his fights no matter what, that's what fans do. However, GSP is not going to win over any new fans with performances like what we saw against Alves.

NateR
07-14-2009, 04:24 PM
That finisher by Henderson, better known as the "Hendo End-O", was like the hammer of Satan coming for Bisping's soul.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Crisco
07-14-2009, 04:45 PM
I think that maybe if GSP had spent more time actually trying to submit/pound out Alves, instead of checking the clock every round, then maybe he could have actually finished that fight and it wouldn't have been so boring.

I don't say this because I hate GSP or believe he is untalented/unskilled. I say it because I KNOW how talented/skilled he is and I KNOW he can do better than what we saw Saturday night. I say it because I expect more from him.

Of course, the die-hard GSP fans are going to love his fights no matter what, that's what fans do. However, GSP is not going to win over any new fans with performances like what we saw against Alves.

C'mon Nate a little slack.

You pull your groin and then tyr jogging for ten minutes and you tell me you won't be staring at the clock lol. Now picture trying to fight Alves while doing it.

all in all a good blog from Matt though. I agree with the whole thing pretty much I just think that Brock doesn't have a whole lot of class... He really hasn't shown much so I can't properly judge but from what I could see there wasn't a whole lot of class.

NateR
07-14-2009, 04:46 PM

You pull your groin and then tyr jogging for ten minutes and you tell me you won't be staring at the clock lol. Now picture trying to fight Alves while doing it.

Well he was checking the clock in rounds 1 and 2 also. :tongue0011:

Crisco
07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Well he was checking the clock in rounds 1 and 2 also. :tongue0011:

lol :laugh:

Bonnie
07-14-2009, 05:14 PM

all in all a good blog from Matt though. I agree with the whole thing pretty much I just think that Brock doesn't have a whole lot of class... He really hasn't shown much so I can't properly judge but from what I could see there wasn't a whole lot of class.

I'd think that would give him that much more incentive to "finish" Alves instead of going two more rounds with him. :wink:

TENNESSEAN
07-14-2009, 07:20 PM
I think Alves got in GSP's head. GSP was afraid of Alves's size and strenght, as long as GSP was controling the pace of the fight he was happy. To afraid to push for the finish.

I dont care for GSP. He's got a ton of talent but his mind is his biggest weakness. He should stay at WW he will not do aswell at MW.

NateR
07-14-2009, 07:30 PM
I'd think that would give him that much more incentive to "finish" Alves instead of going two more rounds with him. :wink:

Y'know, the same way Matt stalled and bided his time for two rounds after getting kneed in the groin by Frank Trigg.... oh, wait.... :Whistle:

NateR
07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
I think Alves got in GSP's head. GSP was afraid of Alves's size and strenght, as long as GSP was controling the pace of the fight he was happy. To afraid to push for the finish.

I dont care for GSP. He's got a ton of talent but his mind is his biggest weakness. He should stay at WW he will not do aswell at MW.

QFT. He still seems to be a little gunshy after that first Matt Serra fight.

rearnakedchoke
07-14-2009, 08:59 PM
i think that is definitely part of it ... he stood with everyone prior to that and did just fine ... but i think another part is, even he didn't know that is ground game was that good ... he was able to take down kos at will and people thought that was good .. he didn't do anything in that fight beside take downs, i think when he started training GnP and wrestling, greg jackson figured, why stand? when you can take down marquardt and evans in training ... we saw that in the third matt fight, i don't think matt thought GSP was gonna take him down and it threw him for a loop, but you would know more about that then me ... anyhoo, i think his takedown, control and GnP stuck from then and he will stick with it till it bites him in the rear ....

MattHughesRocks
07-14-2009, 09:34 PM
:laugh:

Y'know, the same way Matt stalled and bided his time for two rounds after getting kneed in the groin by Frank Trigg.... oh, wait.... :Whistle:

Hughes_GOAT
07-15-2009, 03:41 AM
glad you like it!

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
07-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Doc T, you got some pics for us? :w00t:

I have lots of pics,:)
I am just not the best at taking the time to post them.......

I dont even have my sig back up!:Whistle:

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
07-15-2009, 04:02 AM
[QUOTE=Llamafighter]
It did make a difference in my eyes when he manned up and apologized in the press conference, but it will probably affect my opinion of him until he proves he can be a good sport and have some control.

Well, he was forced to apologize by DW....
But, he did attempt an apology:unsure-1:

My opinion stands:)

Bonnie
07-15-2009, 06:19 AM

:happy0159:

Miss Foxy
07-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Your a nice friend Matt to say such nice words about Brock, however I aint that nice. I think what he did to the fans was tacky and I don't think I will ever support this guy. Just my opinion I am pretty radical on my views so whatever. As far as the GSP fight it was not that entertaining.. I guess I favor more hitting :punch: !! Oh and as far as Hendo very entertaining!! Fitch did a good job as well considering I was against him in that fight.. Thanks for the feedback as always...

sender
07-16-2009, 04:17 AM
yeh the hendo bisping was definitly the best ending!!!

EXTREME!

Hughes_GOAT
07-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Your a nice friend Matt to say such nice words about Brock, however I aint that nice. I think what he did to the fans was tacky and I don't think I will ever support this guy. Just my opinion I am pretty radical on my views so whatever. As far as the GSP fight it was not that entertaining.. I guess I favor more hitting :punch: !! Oh and as far as Hendo very entertaining!!..
Nick Diaz flips the crowd off too.

MattHughesRocks
07-16-2009, 04:52 AM
True, but he's so low class I just don't expect anything else from him :laugh:

Neezar
07-16-2009, 04:55 AM

True. But he is from California. So, it's cool.

MattHughesRocks
07-16-2009, 05:00 AM

True. But he is from California. So, it's cool.

Hughes_GOAT
07-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Melissa likes him.

MattHughesRocks
07-16-2009, 05:13 AM
I don't.

Melissa likes him.

Hughes_GOAT
07-16-2009, 05:25 AM
I don't.
i know YOU don't

MattHughesRocks
07-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Well this is about me isn't it?:unsure-1:

Kidding

i know YOU don't

VCURamFan
07-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Well this is about me isn't it?:unsure-1: Yes, Michelle, the thread discussing Matt's blog is all about you. Just like the rest of the universe.:laugh:

MattHughesRocks
07-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks Ben! Now to get everyone else to recognize! :w00t:

Yes, Michelle, the thread discussing Matt's blog is all about you. Just like the rest of the universe.:laugh:

Miss Foxy
07-16-2009, 05:24 PM
OMG true he's from the bay area...lol.. I dunno Brock is just more of a jerk..

MattHughesRocks
07-16-2009, 08:32 PM
He isn't from the bay area.He's from Stockton.Big difference :laugh:

OMG true he's from the bay area...lol.. I dunno Brock is just more of a jerk..

Miss Foxy
07-16-2009, 09:22 PM
He isn't from the bay area.He's from Stockton.Big difference :laugh:
I thought he's from San Jose?

MattHughesRocks
07-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Stockton but maybe he trains out of San Jose? To get from the bay area to Stockton you have to drive inland for an hour and a half at 80 miles an hour at least.San Jose is more "Nor Cal" then bay area anyway.If you can't see the bay from where you live your not in the bay area :laugh:

I thought he's from San Jose?

Hughes_GOAT
07-17-2009, 03:10 AM
my dad was a cop in San Jose for 30 years. San Francisco and Oakland are more bay area than San Jose or Stockton.

MattHughesRocks
07-17-2009, 03:45 AM
I'm smack in the middle of San Jose and San Francisco. I can see bay water from 5 houses down :laugh: Stockton...well...yuck..me and Boom was there a year ago it was like 300 degrees :w00t:

my dad was a cop in San Jose for 30 years. San Francisco and Oakland are more bay area than San Jose or Stockton.

MattHughesRocks
07-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Boomer :laugh:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/Robbie%20Lawler%20Fights%207_26_2008/robbieft3.jpg

MattHughesRocks
07-17-2009, 03:48 AM
We have completely junked up this thread I just noticed :scared0011:

No offense Boom :laugh:

VCURamFan
07-17-2009, 04:20 AM
We have completely junked up this thread I just noticed :scared0011:

No offense Boom :laugh:Just had to make sure everyone knew it was about her...:muttering:

Hughes_GOAT
07-17-2009, 07:43 AM
buh dum cha

Boomer
07-17-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm smack in the middle of San Jose and San Francisco. I can see bay water from 5 houses down :laugh: Stockton...well...yuck..me and Boom was there a year ago it was like 300 degrees :w00t:

It was just over 100 :laugh: But they were like two hours late opening the doors so we were standing out in line in the sun for forever. :laugh: Robbie's fight was only a year ago?? Man, this place throws off my sense of time.

But getting back to the topic

Brock being an intense person doesn’t justify his actions to the public. There is a level of responsibility that goes along with being in the publics eye that people who care more about just themselves take seriously. If Matt were coaching TUF again and one of the young fighters did that what would he have said to them? Him getting caught up in the heat of the moment proves that he is not ready for this sport as a whole. He should go back to being on a male soap opera or work his way up through the ranks like every other fighter. When you get things handed to you, you don’t appreciate them. He obviously doesn’t appreciate the opportunities the UFC gave to him or this sport in general. He is here for a fat pay check.

I think the bottom-line is he has had no time to mature as a Mixed Martial Artist. He is still way too much WWE. Matt says that Brock is a good guy, so I will believe that, just don't think he is in MMA because of any love for the sport or the community around it. It's just something for him to do because he can, and will make a few more million along the way.

rearnakedchoke
07-17-2009, 01:32 PM
It was just over 100 :laugh: But they were like two hours late opening the doors so we were standing out in line in the sun for forever. :laugh: Robbie's fight was only a year ago?? Man, this place throws off my sense of time.

Brock being an intense person doesnít justify his actions to the public. There is a level of responsibility that goes along with being in the publics eye that people who care more about just themselves take seriously. If Matt were coaching TUF again and one of the young fighters did that what would he have said to them? Him getting caught up in the heat of the moment proves that he is not ready for this sport as a whole. He should go back to being on a male soap opera or work his way up through the ranks like every other fighter. When you get things handed to you, you donít appreciate them. He obviously doesnít appreciate the opportunities the UFC gave to him or this sport in general. He is here for a fat pay check.

I think the bottom-line is he has had no time to mature as a Mixed Martial Artist. He is still way too much WWE. Matt says that Brock is a good guy, so I will believe that, just don't think he is in MMA because of any love for the sport or the community around it. It's just something for him to do because he can, and will make a few more million along the way.
The only thing i had a problem with him doing is pushing the guys in the red suits and telling em to back up in a threatening way ... flipping off the fans, dissing bud, they really didn't bother me ... saying he was gonna crush his wife, well, i am sure that only bothered Johnny B. Badd.

Neezar
07-17-2009, 02:31 PM
The only thing i had a problem with him doing is pushing the guys in the red suits and telling em to back up in a threatening way ... flipping off the fans, dissing bud, they really didn't bother me ... saying he was gonna crush his wife, well, i am sure that only bothered Johnny B. Badd.

:ashamed: I don't think that it what he said.

Llamafighter
07-17-2009, 02:36 PM

Brock being an intense person doesnít justify his actions to the public. There is a level of responsibility that goes along with being in the publics eye that people who care more about just themselves take seriously. If Matt were coaching TUF again and one of the young fighters did that what would he have said to them? Him getting caught up in the heat of the moment proves that he is not ready for this sport as a whole. He should go back to being on a male soap opera or work his way up through the ranks like every other fighter. When you get things handed to you, you donít appreciate them. He obviously doesnít appreciate the opportunities the UFC gave to him or this sport in general. He is here for a fat pay check.

Agreed!

MattHughesRocks
07-17-2009, 03:46 PM
That's probably what happens anyway :laugh:

:ashamed: I don't think that it what he said.

Llamafighter
07-17-2009, 04:49 PM
That's probably what happens anyway :laugh:

Shane Lee 2
07-18-2009, 08:30 AM

That's funny Nate I told Shavon the same thing the night of the fight. I think that KO took a little fire out of him.

Chuck
07-18-2009, 06:51 PM

Well put Nate... I'm a bit stunned actually.... but very well put!! :applause:

Hughes_GOAT
07-19-2009, 05:14 AM
there are almost as many "i'm tired of GSP" threads on Sherdog, as there are "Brock owns."

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
07-20-2009, 01:17 AM
I totally agree with you Boomer....

I feel that Matt, Liddell, Couture all LOVE the sport, LOVE to compete!!!!!
They have brought the UFC to what it is today!

Brock is all about the $$$$$$$
Its one thing to be like that, but its another thing to say it....
and he has no problem letting us all know that he wants the $$$$$$

Bonnie
07-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Excellent posts Boomer and Doc T! :applause: