PDA

View Full Version : British government teen condom program increases teen pregnancies

Play The Man
07-08-2009, 06:52 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1198228/6m-drive-cut-teen-pregnancies-sees-DOUBLE.html

A multi-million pound initiative to reduce teenage pregnancies more than doubled the number of girls conceiving.

The Government-backed scheme tried to persuade teenage girls not to get pregnant by handing out condoms and teaching them about sex.

But research funded by the Department of Health shows that young women who attended the programme, at a cost of 2,500 each, were 'significantly' more likely to become pregnant than those on other youth programmes who were not given contraception and sex advice.

A total of 16 per cent of those on the Young People's Development Programme conceived compared with just 6 per cent in other programmes.

Experts said the scheme failed because it introduced girls 'at risk' of becoming pregnant to promiscuous girls they might not otherwise have met.

Because of peer pressure, the more timid teenagers were more likely to have sex and become pregnant.

The 5.9million YPDP programme was also designed to slash cannabis use and drunkenness among teenagers, but made no difference whatsoever.

Crisco
07-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Was worth a shot I suppose.

Tyburn
07-12-2009, 05:10 PM
didnt really work did it.

wonder how much tax payers money they wasted on that

oh...wait 5.9million.

:rolleyes:

DonnaMaria
07-14-2009, 09:17 PM
That is crazy.

I teach in Cumberland County, and we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in N J. The highest. More than Camden or Jersey City. That right there is pretty amazing.

And we have lots of county programs that teach kids about sex too. :dry:

hmmmmmmmm..................

food for thought.

Chuck
07-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Great! That's all we need is more people with bad teeth who talk funny!!! :Whistle:

Wait... my bad... I thought this was about kids in Kentucky!!!! :tongue0011:

MattHughesRocks
07-15-2009, 03:37 AM
:laugh:

:ninja:

:unsure-1:

:happy0198:

Great! That's all we need is more people with bad teeth who talk funny!!! :Whistle:

Wait... my bad... I thought this was about kids in Kentucky!!!! :tongue0011: