PDA

View Full Version : Afterbirth: It's What's For Dinner

Play The Man
07-07-2009, 01:12 AM
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1908194,00.html

There is so much you can't know about your spouse when you get married, like that one day she will want to eat her placenta. But there are two things you don't argue about with a pregnant woman: what she eats and that being full of life indeed looks sexy. So when Cassandra told me that for $275, a woman would come to our house, cook Cassandra's placenta, freeze-dry it and turn it into capsules to help ward off postpartum depression and increase milk supply, I said, "$275 is a bargain compared with the $20,000 I'll have to spend to tear out our kitchen immediately afterward.

"Most mammals, Cassandra explained, eat their placentas, to which I countered that most dogs eat their poop. I stopped arguing there, figuring that like many of Cassandra's hippie ideas the compost bin, rubbing lemon on her underarms instead of deodorant she'd give up on this in a few weeks. Even as the due date approached and she was still set on eating her placenta, I couldn't imagine that she'd remember to request it from the doctor after the most physically draining experience of her life. This is a woman who, 9 times out of 10, forgets the bag of leftovers at the restaurant.

I am a proponent of allopathic medicine. In my opinion, a good portion, if not most, of "alternative" medicine is hokum. This story being a prime example. If the story makes you queasy please don't follow the link which has a video of the placenta being prepared for cooking in the crock pot. And you thought Machida drinking his own urine was extreme?:scared0015:

TENNESSEAN
07-07-2009, 02:24 AM
wish i would have skiped this one.:blink:
best wishes to you and your wife.

DonnaMaria
07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
That...........was totally gross.:scared0015:

TexasRN
07-14-2009, 11:11 PM
I've heard and seen worse as an L&D nurse. It's pretty gross but it won't kill her. It has to stink up the house pretty good though. :scared0015:

~Amy

DonnaMaria
07-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Amy have you ever heard of that before? Or had anyone do something like that before in your hospital?

I had a friend who put her placenta in her fish pond once.......but eating it!?!?

I don't even like the smell of shrimp boiling!

lol!

TexasRN
07-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Amy have you ever heard of that before? Or had anyone do something like that before in your hospital?

I had a friend who put her placenta in her fish pond once.......but eating it!?!?

I don't even like the smell of shrimp boiling!

lol!

Yes, I've had requests to let them take the placenta home to eat. I've also had requests for them to have it for burial. I've known of a newer practice where they don't cut the cord at all and leave the placenta attached to the infant until it rots enough to fall off on it's own. Talk about stink....

~Amy

Miss Foxy
07-14-2009, 11:34 PM
OMG this is so freakin sick and this is coming from a gal that likes to eat liver n onions!!!!! I feel so nauseated.. I know when delivering my first child I had complications after due to the placenta. Uggg.:cry:

Rev
07-15-2009, 08:14 PM
:blink: :sick: :stirthepot: :yuck: :scared0015: Ok, I am gonna barf, why did I look??? For the love of God, why did I look??!!!??!??!?!?!?!?!?