PDA

View Full Version : A question about Tool's music videos

Jason 16
07-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Ok I fully understand most of tools song but when I go to watch the videos along with them I think WTF kind of drugs did they take. most of the videos are REALY ODD and have nothing to do with the song or Iam missing somthing:ashamed: anyways is there a connection between the video and the song or did they just reproduce an acid trip into a video.

Vicarious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg

Parabola
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4&feature=related

MattHughesRocks
07-05-2009, 05:34 PM
I just don't even know what to say :unsure:

Cool...gross.....weird...WTF? :laugh:

atomdanger
07-05-2009, 05:36 PM
They usually just do a weird video,
I don't think they have too much input on the video, I mean, they do not direct and produce them. (Do they? I don't know of many bands who do)

Its pretty common though, look at NIN videos.
or Marilyn Manson.
Or Velvet Acid Christ.
or better yet, KMFDM

Jason 16
07-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't think they have too much input on the video, I mean, they do not direct and produce them. (Do they? I don't know of many bands who do)

Its pretty common though, look at NIN videos.
or Marilyn Manson.
Or Velvet Acid Christ.
or better yet, KMFDM

Marilyn Manson is well FUBARED him-or-It self and so what do you expect from the videos.

whats KMFDM?

Crisco
07-05-2009, 06:02 PM
tools music would be better if maynard could stop being such an emo fag

Jason 16
07-05-2009, 06:06 PM
tools music would be better if maynard could stop being such an emo fag

lol so I guess you have seen a video of him live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_c60Sp7Gtc

atomdanger
07-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Marilyn Manson is well FUBARED him-or-It self and so what do you expect from the videos.

whats KMFDM?

http://kmfdm.net/index.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl6kWsYmIHs

Band.

logrus
07-06-2009, 05:50 AM
Wheres JB at when you need him lol.

Krupp
07-06-2009, 09:40 AM

actually, Tool's guitarist Adam Jones directs all of their music videos. Every single one of them he's directed so far, including the new one, Vicarious.

Crisco
07-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Maynard actually trains under Rickson or so I hear.

He's still an emo fag.

J.B.
07-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Wheres JB at when you need him lol.

I quit... :laugh:

But I guess I should divulge one piece of Maynard info...since I find a Tool thread irresistible.

Maynard is supposedly a brown belt under Hickson. Everybody got a hard-on when MJK pwned some literal "tool" who jumped on stage. Internet took over, and the rest is history.

I have followed and seen Tool enough to know that Maynard is not some "emo fag". He, and the rest of Tool are pioneers in the new hard rock sound. The numbers prove that.

People need to stop being drones.

Jason 16
07-06-2009, 10:00 PM

But I guess I should divulge one piece of Maynard info...since I find a Tool thread irresistible.

Maynard is supposedly a brown belt under Hickson. Everybody got a hard-on when MJK pwned some literal "tool" who jumped on stage. Internet took over, and the rest is history.

I have followed and seen Tool enough to know that Maynard is not some "emo fag". He, and the rest of Tool are pioneers in the new hard rock sound. The numbers prove that.

I love the songs just the videos are well ****ED UP!!!

logrus
07-06-2009, 10:03 PM

I asked for your insight on the videos not Maynerd DARN IT!!!!

:Whistle:

Crisco
07-06-2009, 10:31 PM

I feel he is an "emo fag".

I will generally disagree with most "artists". I have friends who are obsessed with tool and they are constantly talking about how tool "opens up your third eye". My response to them is usually calling them "emo fags".

There are a lot of tool songs that I rather enjoy I just don't like the way some of them are produced. There is that that one song that I really like unfortunately maynard makes you wait a whole 1:30 seconds before any real music starts. The first minute and a half is just a bong noise.

To me that pretty much screams emo fag. Granted I'm a talentless hack who's only real ability involves destroying as a opposed to creating so I may be being a bit unfair to him.

It just pisses me off when someone takes something that could be awesome and emo fags it up.

thekevineri
07-06-2009, 11:18 PM
http://kmfdm.net/index.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl6kWsYmIHs

Band.

KMFDM was blamed for columbine, thus you never hear of them anymore..

J.B.
07-07-2009, 03:19 AM

I will generally disagree with most "artists". I have friends who are obsessed with tool and they are constantly talking about how tool "opens up your third eye". My response to them is usually calling them "emo fags".

There are a lot of tool songs that I rather enjoy I just don't like the way some of them are produced. There is that that one song that I really like unfortunately maynard makes you wait a whole 1:30 seconds before any real music starts. The first minute and a half is just a bong noise.

To me that pretty much screams emo fag. Granted I'm a talentless hack who's only real ability involves destroying as a opposed to creating so I may be being a bit unfair to him.

It just pisses me off when someone takes something that could be awesome and emo fags it up.

Well Cris, I love you, buy you are misguided. Maynard does not make you wait for the music to start. Tool is a progressive rock group, much like Rush, King Crimson, and others.

You really should not use hateful names, it's not nice. Besides, "emo" did not even come around until the last decade. If you are going to blame somebody for "emo", blame the right people. Like, the Deftones, Papa Roach, or AFI. Tool, is NOT responsible for emo.

I asked for your insight on the videos not Maynerd DARN IT!!!!

As for my view on the videos, I think they are masterful. I have had the pleasure of seeing the group perform live twice, and both times they presented a new twist on the animations from all their videos. For those who are unaware, Tool's guitarist, Adam Jones, was a special effects artist for some of the biggest movies of our time, including Jurassic Park and Terminator 2. He is also the creator of all their videos. They are beautiful works of art.

timmyja
07-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Tool is the real deal.. I was hoping to catch them live this summer. The videos are wild. Most people cant get into them because they aren't a bunch of top 40 emo fags.

Crisco
07-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Well Cris, I love you, buy you are misguided. Maynard does not make you wait for the music to start. Tool is a progressive rock group, much like Rush, King Crimson, and others.

You really should not use hateful names, it's not nice. Besides, "emo" did not even come around until the last decade. If you are going to blame somebody for "emo", blame the right people. Like, the Deftones, Papa Roach, or AFI. Tool, is NOT responsible for emo.

As for my view on the videos, I think they are masterful. I have had the pleasure of seeing the group perform live twice, and both times they presented a new twist on the animations from all their videos. For those who are unaware, Tool's guitarist, Adam Jones, was a special effects artist for some of the biggest movies of our time, including Jurassic Park and Terminator 2. He is also the creator of all their videos. They are beautiful works of art.

I def don't think maynard started the emo... But he definately seems to represent it =P

I guess I'm just not into progressive rock. Sorry Maynard for calling you names.

lyndsey823
07-07-2009, 04:27 AM

are you thinking Tool or A Perfect Circle? i haven't noticed many Tool songs having long intros, but a couple of the APC songs do. i personally prefer APC to Tool, but either way, Maynard is great.

lyndsey823
07-07-2009, 04:30 AM
Tool is the real deal.. I was hoping to catch them live this summer. The videos are wild. Most people cant get into them because they aren't a bunch of top 40 emo fags.

Tool was awesome live, the best concert I have ever been to. A close second was A Perfect Circle, lol. Maynard really knows how to put on a show. It's funny watching how different the fans of Tool are to APC. The people at Tool were border line worshiping him, well, the people around us were anyway.

timmyja
07-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Tool was awesome live, the best concert I have ever been to. A close second was A Perfect Circle, lol. Maynard really knows how to put on a show. It's funny watching how different the fans of Tool are to APC. The people at Tool were border line worshiping him, well, the people around us were anyway.
Haha.. I'm sure psychedelic drugs had NOTHING to do with that :blink: I dont want to overstep in comparisons, but in a lot of ways, Tool is our generations Pink Floyd.

J.B.
07-07-2009, 04:34 AM
I def don't think maynard started the emo... But he definately seems to represent it =P

I guess I'm just not into progressive rock. Sorry Maynard for calling you names.

I can understand what you are saying, and I guess I need to correct myself to some degree....

Tool was largely responsible for the groups I listed, at least when it comes to sound. I just think that Tool's songs break down typical borders in popular music. It's really not even proper for me to label them as "progressive" rock. They are just a band, and a really good one. However, we are all different and we are allowed to like or not like an artist.

Maynard is eccentric and, at times, over the top. However, I think he personifies what a hard rock singer should be artistically. I only agree with Maynard about 40% of the time when it comes to politics, but I do love and respect him.

I also love and respect you Cris, and I know in your heart you are better than using that language. I am not your mommy, but I am just trying to talk to the person deeper than a computer screen. I am just as guilty of it myself, but we don't need to do it.

lyndsey823
07-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Haha.. I'm sure psychedelic drugs had NOTHING to do with that :blink: I dont want to overstep in comparisons, but in a lot of ways, Tool is our generations Pink Floyd.

yeah, i am pretty sure it had EVERYTHING to do with it. considering my brother was super excited about "doing some acid and enjoying the light show", lol. i found him passed out in the lawn section after the concert.

and you aren't the first person who i've heard make that comparison.

lyndsey823
07-07-2009, 04:38 AM
I can understand what you are saying, and I guess I need to correct myself to some degree....

Tool was largely responsible for the groups I listed, at least when it comes to sound. I just think that Tool's songs break down typical borders in popular music. It's really not even proper for me to label them as "progressive" rock. They are just a band, and a really good one. However, we are all different and we are allowed to like or not like an artist.

Maynard is eccentric and, at times, over the top. However, I think he personifies what a hard rock singer should be artistically. I only agree with Maynard about 40% of the time when it comes to politics, but I do love and respect him.

i totally agree with you there!

Jason 16
07-07-2009, 05:26 AM
when I watch the videos they seem to have nothing to do with the song like http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tool&docid=664302191235&mid=046C21FF08BA71A4BFDC046C21FF08BA71A4BFDC&FORM=VIVR3 It looks great but wtf is it about not the song..... or is it ?

I love the song the video looks great but its realy odd and I dont know what the connection between the song and the video

atomdanger
07-07-2009, 10:13 AM
KMFDM was blamed for columbine, thus you never hear of them anymore..

Marilyn Manson was blamed I thought? Either way, blaming music for shoots is asinine.

James Keenan (Singer for tool, I dislike his stage name) is a bit of a weirdo,
but sings well. He has released from pretty Un - christian and anti god music

atomdanger
07-07-2009, 10:19 AM
actually, Tool's guitarist Adam Jones directs all of their music videos. Every single one of them he's directed so far, including the new one, Vicarious.

Fred Stuhr directed the sober video? I thought Adam Jones only did a couple.