PDA

View Full Version : Tyburn answers Americans' questions about the UK

Pages : [1] 2

Play The Man
07-03-2009, 11:39 PM
I am confused about your timing of elections. We have presidential elections every 4 years in November. Mid-term elections occur 2 years after the presidential election in November (Senators have 6 year terms and Representatives have 2 year terms). How does it work there? I have heard of "calling for" elections. Please explain how this works.

atomdanger
07-04-2009, 02:17 AM
My Collection of stupid questions.

What powers to Royal people have?

What is the deal with being knighted? Or whatever...
I just wanna be called Sir.

Do you guys really never brush your teeth?

Whats the deal with tea?

MattHughesRocks
07-04-2009, 03:58 AM
Why are so many people incredibly drunk all the time? I was there once...and incredibly drunk at one point so yeah...what's up with that Dave?

Play The Man
07-04-2009, 04:30 AM
How much is a gallon of gas (or liter of petrol)?

Is it against the law to carry a pocket knife (for instance, a Swiss Army knife)?

Some of the fighters on TUF required subtitles to be understood by the American audience. Could you understand them?

Why do some Brits use "me" instead of "my"? For instance, "Get your hands off me gold!".

Chuck
07-04-2009, 04:37 AM
Do all of you wish you were Americans or just most of you???
:D

VCURamFan
07-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Have you ever heard of sweet potatoes?

rockdawg21
07-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Do you eat crepes? :laugh:

What's the deal with the marriage-like affection towards the queen? Meaning, it seems that the people in the U.K. are literally in love with the royalty there, is it something that's taught in schools?

Do Brits tan or just stay white all year long?

Tyburn
07-04-2009, 03:02 PM
I am confused about your timing of elections. We have presidential elections every 4 years in November. Mid-term elections occur 2 years after the presidential election in November (Senators have 6 year terms and Representatives have 2 year terms). How does it work there? I have heard of "calling for" elections. Please explain how this works.
Firstly, the only person with the power to call a General Ellection is The Queen. So the Prime Minister must go to Buckingham Palace saying he wants a General Ellection, and She signs it off officially.

The Ellection must happen within Four Years. Its the Prime Minister who decides Exactly when to make the call. But he may do it anytime to RE-Start an Office. So for example, when Tony Blair Stept down from Office, the Person to take his place was the Party Leader UNDER him. Now at that point, if Labour had been Confident enough they COULD have called for an ellection, and been ellected for a Forth Term of Office for Labour.

There have been many parties in English History that have come and gone, depending on their support. Local Government...which is a Council that jurisdicts a small area of land has a number of seats available, the local candidates put forward nominations. Depending on the amount of seats and votes received, that will determin what Party Rules the Council. In that last Local Ellection, Labour Party lost control of Several key Councils.

Each Council is led by a Mayor, some appointed, most Ellected, and represented in Parliament by a Minister. To remain in parliament this Minister must be eternally on the their local council as voted for by their own local community only. For example...supposing the Prime Minister lost his seat on his LOCAL Council...as only voted for by the local inhabitants...He would be out of Parliament overnight :laugh:

So its important to tell the Government WHERE you live and IF you move...or else they send the ticket that entitles you to vote, to the WRONG place. For example...I cant vote for the Harrogate Council...because my bloody ticket keeps being sent to London...Ironically, if I got my hands on that ticket, I could vote for the Lambeth Borough Council still :laugh:

We vote DIRECTLY for the Candidate going into Office. We DO NOT have people who vote for us in any way. It is...en mass, a huge opinion poll, where the majority wins.

One of the parties that hasnt yet got any Candidates ellected for the Minister of Parliament in any local council, is The British National Party...therefore although they have council seats...they have NO seat in Parliament. Now the European Parliament, divides England into only Four odd constituencies (thats the name given for an area run by a council) Two of which got British Nationalists as their Minister for European Parliament. This means the Fascists now have more control then the infamous "National Front" party which was last seen the year I was born, 1982. They may not be in The House of Commons...but they are in Europe...

But the British Parliament is made of TWO houses. The House of Commons (being the House of the General Public) and The House of Lords. Many Lords are appointed by The Commons, or by Royalty, or they still have it in their Families from an age when their families were Barons and owned the land.

The Commons AND Lords must pass papers to make Bills into Law.

The European Parliament at present is more just a meeting of The European Union...but they are trying to force through a Treaty called "Lisbon" if this happens, Europe is in grave danger of becoming a Federation...in a similar way to the United States...it would demand, for example, the position of a President...and Tony Blair wants it BAD :laugh:

Now the local ellections, they dont all happen at once, for everything. I think the Ellections for Ministers of Parliament happen at the same time, but as for council seats...I think those are spread out through the four year term of office...I could be wrong on that.

The General Ellection itself is all over Extremely quickly, the whole Country votes at once :w00t:

A Particular Prime Minister may run for as many consecutive Office Terms as the public allow...generally, they dont make it past three...they do something enough to upset the people. Maggie Thatcher for the Conservatives made Three...she then faced a vote of no confidence by her own party...Tony Blair was also forced to resign half way through his Third Term

BOTH leaders ONLY got re-ellected the third time under the pretext of going to War. Tony Blair did it over Iraq...Maggie Thatcher did it over the Faulklands...neither were available for re-ellection, or finished that term in office.

Anyone over the age of 18 may vote in General, or Local...it wasnt always like that, it used to be 21 and above, and before that, MEN ONLY LMAO

The winning Party Takes Office, the other parties are know as "the opposition". The Leader of the Winning party becomes Prime Minister...the leader of the party is decided in a "Leadership contest" within the party...only Card carrying citizens and ministers within the party can vote on such a matter. The Prime minister will then make a cabinet to fill official posts...SO will the opposition for example...the Home Secretary is mirrored on the Opposition by "the Shadow home Secretary"

on the Floor they argue, debate...and then vote to make outcomes on Bills, which then go for secondary voting in the Lords.

Tyburn
07-04-2009, 03:31 PM
My Collection of stupid questions.

What powers to Royal people have?

What is the deal with being knighted? Or whatever...
I just wanna be called Sir.

3) Do you guys really never brush your teeth?

Whats the deal with tea?
1)The Royals have plenty of Power...but they refuse to use them.

The Queen is Officially Head of State in many Commonwealth Countries...she has the power therefore to over-rule and infact disband Governments in Canada, Australia, and England.

She also has the power to call a General Ellection...but the date is decided by the rulling Prime Minister.

Different Royals represent Different things. The Princes (which are Sons of The Queen, or Husbands to her Daughters) are all given The Title Duke...and those Dukedoms outline the Ancient Kingdoms of Pre Unified England...for Example...The Duke of Wessex....Wessex was a Kingdom in the South of England before a Single Monarchy developed out of about four or five.

2) In England there are what is known as Orders of Chivilry. An Order is usually related to a place, or to specific Saints...for Example, The Order of The Cross of Saint John of Jerusalem...is the Official Order associated with the Birth of Saint John Ambulance...The Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, has a dedication to Christian Saints.

Not All Orders require one to be Knighted in order to enter them. The most General one is infact The Most Excellent Order of The British Empire. Citizens can be nominated for such a Knighthood by other people, or insitutions, or appointments by royalty or on the suggestion of Parliament...they usually involve a thank you from the crown for having done some form of service...Honoury Titles are given to those who are not British Citizens...If you, personally you, were to do some magnificent service for Britian, then Yes someone like me could nominate you, and you might get in.

Posting these Questions doesnt count as that act of service before you ask :laugh: Being a President who is know for giving that little bit extra to his allied forces...well that might be enough... :Whistle:

In an order, there are different Ranks, Grand Master, Dame Grand Cross, Grand Cross are the highest. Dont know how you move up the ranks of such an order...but most of those positions...well they are held by members of royalty..my guess is you dont progress through the ranks, your inducted in as something based on your status :laugh:

3) of course we brush our teeth :blink:

4) When we had our Empire it was the Empire on which the sun never set physically...we owned something in every major time zone...thus we had exclusive access to precious comodities like Tea. We made it an institution, it became a tradition to have a Scone and a Cuppa (known as High Tea, or Cream Tea) in the mid afternoon, around 3pm

The Virgers of Saint Paul's Cathedral...still observe the tradition except for a Sunday :laugh:

Tyburn
07-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Why are so many people incredibly drunk all the time? I was there once...and incredibly drunk at one point so yeah...what's up with that Dave?
Well, the major problem is the age of consent is 16 with a mea if Adults are in attendance, and 18 on your own. Many in the big cities binge drink, it has become a MAJOR problem in Britian.

Tyburn
07-04-2009, 03:43 PM
1)How much is a gallon of gas (or liter of petrol)?

Is it against the law to carry a pocket knife (for instance, a Swiss Army knife)?

Some of the fighters on TUF required subtitles to be understood by the American audience. Could you understand them?

Why do some Brits use "me" instead of "my"? For instance, "Get your hands off me gold!".
1) I dont know, because I dont drive...I shall find out for you sometime over this weekend...when I go to my parents house I pass through a petrol station and the numbers are all displayed.

Lets just say...much higher then yours :laugh:

2) that depends on your definition of a pocket knife. A Knife thats small, or part of a keyring sort of thing is fine...but a flick out blade, or a stanley knife...is likely to get you into trouble if you are caught with it. You would probably be arrested, and the knife would be conviscated...your unlikely to end up in prison though...unless you use the knife.

Now...just being in possession of a firearm...not even using it, could cost you up to 15 years in gaol

3) I could understand them yes. The only accent I have a slight problem with, ironically, is a heavy scotish accent. I have no trouble with any dielect in Britian outside of the Scotish.Some sound better then others, you have had a lot of fighters from the Lancashire Area...they are either Brummies, or Scousers...their accents are some of the hardest to understand for forigners...some of the London Accents, like Cockney for example are some of the easiest for people to understand with Yorkshire and Geordie, Welsh and Irish being in between. I speak "the Queens" what is known as "BBC English"

Most English people think I'm Posh sounding :laugh:

4) because they actually say that, its slang mixed with dielect...its not gramatically correct...but its certainly spoken like that. I often use the "royal we" when what I mean is "I"

Tyburn
07-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Well...its funny because my Friend at work was talking about Americans...he remembers a time when he was touring a group in Saint Peters Minster, York...and one American asked "Is this Building Pre-War"

"This Building is Pre-America"

...and I've had Americans come up to me in Saint Paul's Cathedral and ask "does the Dome Rotate"

:laugh:

Most English people will tell you that Americans either annoy them, or more probably, ammuse them.

When you say something like that...and then say "but they were Americans" to a Brit...that immediately explains all. :laugh:

Personally, I love Americans...but they are not as loved by most as they were, partly because a lot of the public under the Tony Blair, felt like the British Government were only really a State Government and as much a part of the United States as any other State...this upset a great many people who wished our Government had not been so egar to almost live a submissive role to the US Government...it wasnt that we wanted to be dominant...we just wanted to remind our Government, they were British, and not a Department of The United States of America

Course...that has nothing to do with the Citizens of America...but I feel a lot of Brits forget that :unsure-1:

Tyburn
07-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Have you ever heard of sweet potatoes?
:laugh: Have you?

Do you know your Yam from your Sweet Potatoe :huh:

incidently...the sweet potatoes I got, went mouldy before I could use them last week...or was it the week before :unsure-1:

Tyburn
07-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Do you eat crepes? :laugh:

What's the deal with the marriage-like affection towards the queen? Meaning, it seems that the people in the U.K. are literally in love with the royalty there, is it something that's taught in schools?

Do Brits tan or just stay white all year long?
We call them pancakes....it makes the french word more...digestable. We have a long and troubled History with France.

Short version: we hate each other :ninja:

2) most people in England DO NOT like the Royals...most people believe the Monarchy should be...ended :sad:

I am in a minority.

The most effection the Queen Gets is either from Americans, or from the Commonwealth.

PLUS the last few Brits who are Royalists...arent...true Royalists...they actually are not Loyal to the Crown...but Loyal to a very particular monach wearing the crown. Watch what happens when she dies...because her Heir is not popular...and he will interfere far more then she. Hopefully...if she is anything like her Mother...she stands to reign another 20 years...perhaps her son will be dead by then :)

3) In England Brits dont tan period...we havent the weather

when we go abroad...we tend to just burn

I dont change colour at all...well...I suppose I go greyish when I get dirty, and I go pale when I'm ill...but really... :laugh:

Those Brits with tans...well they either have it out of a tanning salon...or worse...out of a bottle :frantics:

Tyburn
07-04-2009, 04:18 PM
A Video of Parliament worth Watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUy2inkGHQ (Opposition goes mad over ellection U-Tern)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsAa9VmwOaI (this sort of havoc is a weekly occurance!)

The Most Famous Speech in Parliament by Maggie on the Subject of Europe!
Laughingly, she accuses Labour of being Financially incompetant and so willing to give the currency over to European control....within 20 years after a decade of Labour rule, a Finanical recession hits and guess which Government is the most unprepared. Also...the Treaty she mentions...well...remember I spoke about "Lisbon" almost twenty years later, there is no hiding a want to Federalize Europe...and the single Currency has been taken up by many of its states already.

Maggie...we miss you :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2f8nYMCO2I

A Video of HM The Queen when she went on Tour to America

oooops....I cant find that video now :'(

rockdawg21
07-04-2009, 05:13 PM
We call them pancakes....it makes the french word more...digestable. We have a long and troubled History with France.

Short version: we hate each other :ninja:

2) most people in England DO NOT like the Royals...most people believe the Monarchy should be...ended :sad:

I am in a minority.

The most effection the Queen Gets is either from Americans, or from the Commonwealth.

PLUS the last few Brits who are Royalists...arent...true Royalists...they actually are not Loyal to the Crown...but Loyal to a very particular monach wearing the crown. Watch what happens when she dies...because her Heir is not popular...and he will interfere far more then she. Hopefully...if she is anything like her Mother...she stands to reign another 20 years...perhaps her son will be dead by then :)

3) In England Brits dont tan period...we havent the weather

when we go abroad...we tend to just burn

I dont change colour at all...well...I suppose I go greyish when I get dirty, and I go pale when I'm ill...but really... :laugh:

Those Brits with tans...well they either have it out of a tanning salon...or worse...out of a bottle :frantics:
Haha, thanks Dave.

1. Was just curious, as they are pretty good!

2. I just got that impression from you, I've only known a few Brits in my life, but never really asked them about the Monarchy so I wasn't sure if it was just you or if that's how everybody felt.

3. I was in the Philippines in 2007 and was at a mall in Manila. I saw another white person (female) and walked up to her and asked here where in the U.S. she was from, she said "I'm not from America". I said, "Oh, I see, you're from Britain, I can tell!" She thought that was funny. She was bright red in some areas and bright white in others. Any other Brit I've met is pretty light so I was wondering if they just lack the pigment to tan or not. Thanks for that clarification Dave. :)

This is kinda funny. Anybody watch Chappelle's Show and remember the segments, "Ask a Black Dude" and "Ask a Gay Dude"? This is "Ask a Brit Dude" :rotfl:

atomdanger
07-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks Dave

Play The Man
07-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I have a couple follow-up questions for clarification:

After the Prime Minister meets with the Queen and calls for an election, when does it occur? 3 months from that date? 6 months from that date? If the opposition party wanted to stall could they make a political deal with the Queen to deny the call of the ruling party?

Please explain the vote of no confidence.

Can you explain the system of money? Do you still have shillings, guineas, farthings, etc.? When I read older British literature I get confused. I don't know if they are talking about a lot of money or a little money.

Please explain the term "posh". In this Youtube clip, Archie Bunker from "All In The Family" rips on England. Does "posh" refer to the "handkerchief and skinny umbrella" style he is mocking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3yDb3J-J0

Do you pronounce "gaol" like our word "jail"?

Currently, President Obama is proposing major changes to our healthcare system. Michael Moore had a documentary called "Sicko" in which he lauded the British health care system (to be honest, I didn't watch the documentary because I don't want to give the guy one cent of my money; however, I saw clips and read reviews so I think my description is accurate). It looks like we could be headed towards something like you have. What is your experience with your National Health Service. I just saw an article yesterday where a hospital in the UK was so dirty that a patient climbed out of bed and cleaned the room herself! Are there long waits for surgeries, etc?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196997/Hospital-patient-shocked-dirty-ward-climbed-bed-clean-herself.html

How much of your income (as a percentage) do you pay in taxes?

You are a Royalist. It seems over the past 1,000 years there has been a steady diminution of royal power. In your opinion, who was the quintessential monarch? At what point in your history was there a correct balance between the King (or Queen) and parliament? Or are you advocating a pure monarchy with no input from the common people?

The Church of England is the established church. Do the taxes of atheists, Catholics, Muslims, Jews, etc. go to pay for church salaries, property, etc.?

Thank you for educating me (us) about your country!

MattHughesRocks
07-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I agree.16 is way to young for....for anything :rolleyes:

So what about the teeth? Why do so many English people have bad teeth?

Well, the major problem is the age of consent is 16 with a mea if Adults are in attendance, and 18 on your own. Many in the big cities binge drink, it has become a MAJOR problem in Britian.

F34R
07-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Some of my most fondest memories are from when I lived in England. It was definitely one of my favorite places to live.

A few funny things that I remember....
Right before we left in 1987, some places were just getting cable tv. Before that, we only had four channels, so we never watched TV. When played outside ALL the time. There were always kids around outside, rarely did anyone stay inside; regardless of the weather.

When we moved to the states, it was harder to make friends because cable TV was around and a lot of kids stayed inside watching tv lol.

We didn't pay sales tax on items we bought. I don't remember if it was just the stuff that we, as kids, were buying; candy, toys, etc., but the price you saw, was what you paid. When we moved here, a ten cent piece of candy suddenly costed more lol.

London was amazing! McDonalds was a weekly trip to London for us lol. I know it sounds weird.

The school I was in when I left England rivals most college campus settings. I was in 6th grade at the time. If anyone wants to look it up, I went to LAMS. It was for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.

I could go on and on about all things England that I remember.

Tyburn
07-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Haha, thanks Dave.

1. Was just curious, as they are pretty good!

2. I just got that impression from you, I've only known a few Brits in my life, but never really asked them about the Monarchy so I wasn't sure if it was just you or if that's how everybody felt.

3. I was in the Philippines in 2007 and was at a mall in Manila. I saw another white person (female) and walked up to her and asked here where in the U.S. she was from, she said "I'm not from America". I said, "Oh, I see, you're from Britain, I can tell!" She thought that was funny. She was bright red in some areas and bright white in others. Any other Brit I've met is pretty light so I was wondering if they just lack the pigment to tan or not. Thanks for that clarification Dave. :)

This is kinda funny. Anybody watch Chappelle's Show and remember the segments, "Ask a Black Dude" and "Ask a Gay Dude"? This is "Ask a Brit Dude" :rotfl:
1) we call them pancakes in England...and they are more...heavy then the lighter crepes version I think. You should listen to the video...see how tense things are at a Royal Banquet RECENTLY when The Queen met Sarkozy...can you tell the two feel...uncomfortable or what :laugh: Her first sentance mentions "Cloth of Gold" under Henry 8th :laugh: "Respectful yet competative" equates to all out war :laugh: :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HnePKE9AAE

2) most people think that the Monarchy is a waste of money, and that it should be stopped. However, most people would say as Monarchs go, the Queen is very good. The danger for the Monarchy as a whole will occure upon her Death....namely...because the Rest of the family isnt much loved, particularly her first heir.

It could historically end the Monarchy I reckon...its a worry...Her death could potentially go increadibly sour for about two thousand years worth of history and tradition.

The Commonwealth may not want Charles as head of State...its a big possiblity we will lose commonwealth and Monarchy when Elizabeth dies. I hope not...but its a possiblity and the recession hasnt helpped, people basically are saying why should we be wasting money, particularly when its hard times financially.

3) LOL your welcome :happydancing:

Tyburn
07-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks Dave
you're welcome

next question :huh: :)

Tyburn
07-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I have a couple follow-up questions for clarification:

1) After the Prime Minister meets with the Queen and calls for an election, when does it occur? 3 months from that date? 6 months from that date? If the opposition party wanted to stall could they make a political deal with the Queen to deny the call of the ruling party?

2) Please explain the vote of no confidence.

3) Can you explain the system of money? Do you still have shillings, guineas, farthings, etc.? When I read older British literature I get confused. I don't know if they are talking about a lot of money or a little money.

4) Please explain the term "posh". In this Youtube clip, Archie Bunker from "All In The Family" rips on England. Does "posh" refer to the "handkerchief and skinny umbrella" style he is mocking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3yDb3J-J0

5) Do you pronounce "gaol" like our word "jail"?

6) Currently, President Obama is proposing major changes to our healthcare system. Michael Moore had a documentary called "Sicko" in which he lauded the British health care system (to be honest, I didn't watch the documentary because I don't want to give the guy one cent of my money; however, I saw clips and read reviews so I think my description is accurate). It looks like we could be headed towards something like you have. What is your experience with your National Health Service. I just saw an article yesterday where a hospital in the UK was so dirty that a patient climbed out of bed and cleaned the room herself! Are there long waits for surgeries, etc?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196997/Hospital-patient-shocked-dirty-ward-climbed-bed-clean-herself.html

7) How much of your income (as a percentage) do you pay in taxes?

8) You are a Royalist. It seems over the past 1,000 years there has been a steady diminution of royal power. In your opinion, who was the quintessential monarch? At what point in your history was there a correct balance between the King (or Queen) and parliament? Or are you advocating a pure monarchy with no input from the common people?

9) The Church of England is the established church. Do the taxes of atheists, Catholics, Muslims, Jews, etc. go to pay for church salaries, property, etc.?

Thank you for educating me (us) about your country!
1) Not sure how long between the Prime Minister and the Date of the ellection needs to be made public...but we all know the end of the four years so we all know when the ellection MUST happen if its not been announced. Usually its public about four or five months before the actual date i believe...has to happen by May 3rd next year :ninja:

2) if your not careful you'll see a vote of no confidence in Labour soon. Bassically supposing you were a rulling party and you were worried that the current prime minister would not win a general ellection BUT you wanted your party to win the next ellection. You must force your Prime Minister to either quit...in which case a new prime minister will appear by default (the person who is the party leader under the prime minister) exactly what happened with out current prime minister. OR you must force them into telling the public they will not stand for re-ellection...in which case the party will then be judged on the NEW prime minister that is the party leader...and at that point...many in the party will want to be party leader, so a leadership contest will happen first.

A vote of no confidence is when the whole party basically tells the minister, they no longer believe in the authority of that particular person in office. They stand to be voted out by the party if they undergo a vote of no confidence.

They can also do that to the Speaker of the House...which they did less then a month ago. Usually, when someone threatens with enough support a vote of no confidence...the leadership caves in with resignations...noone wants to face the result of such a vote in public. It is the ultimate form of blackmail to get rid of a leader...but you have to be a card carrying member of the party, or in parliament to vote :ninja:

3) England Abolished the Imperial measurements for weight and Money before I was born. We now use metric...weights are in Kilograms, not in Lbs anymore. Also Money is now 100penies to make up One pound Stirling. There are NO notes below the value of £5.

In Coinage

1pence (circular small bronze)
2pence (Circular large bronze)
5pence (circular small silver)
20pence (Hexagonal small silver)
50pence (Hexagonal large silver)
1 pound (Circular large gold
2 pound (circular large two toned gold/silver)

In Notes

Five Pounds
Ten Pounds
Twenty Pounds
fifty Pounds
One Hundred Pounds
Two hundred pounds

I've added rough size shape and the colour

4) think snobby style upmarket type speech :laugh:

5) yes...and we use both words as well, its just gaol is the older term for a jail

6) In england there are two types of Hospital, the Private Hospital which is self funded and for which you have to pay, and the National Health Service, which is relatively recent in that it appear during the second world war 1948 I believe.

Basically the National Health Service is an Established Health service so for every area of England there will be a Hospital run by the Government, paid for by taxes.

Some Hospitals are better then others for cleanliness, the reason being, the Government never give enough to the Helath Service so its alwaysd over stretched, there are issues with not enough beds, there are reasonably long waiting lists unless there is something seriously wrong with you...and I mean...like unless you'd become terminal.

The Doctors Surgeries are also all paid for by the Government...but it doesnt extend to Dentistry...all dentists are private...you pay through the teeth for them :laugh:

In England since the war we believe that we have the right to public health in the same was you believe you have the right to bear arms. How the government funds it we dont care...but they must fund it.

7) Income Tax is done on a percentage of your sallery. the more you earn, the more you pay tax. I think I nearly work one week in every callendar month for free :sad:

Council tax is a fixed amount, but it differs depending on which council you live under and also how many people are in the house...for example, I get a discount coz I live on my own, a family rate is higher, obviously split between the parents

The danger with England is its benefit systems mean you can almost get a better deal unemployed, then you can working a low paid job. :ninja:

8) I hate to say it, but the Queens have done better then the men I think, Recently, Queen Elizabeth 1st, who really built the Empire to its height and fought of the Spanish Armada, Queen Victoria, the Longest Reigning Monarch, though not for much longer :laugh: is very famous, and Queen Elizabeth 2nd is much loved. Elizabeth is most to blame I guess for the backseat role of the monarch in politics...she believes herself to be more of a symbol and figure head and less of a political leader

I personally believe that in the wake of the Claims Scandle and the peerage scandle, this year Elizabeth 2nd should have stept in, dissolved the parliament and immediately called for a General Ellection.

They all need to go...and its exactly what Oliver Cromwell did during the Years of the Republic after the Civil War...he told Parliament that they were so corrupt they must all go...they ignored him...so he went in...and he physically removed them from the Palace of Westminster :laugh:

I believe that the ballence is too much Parliament at the moment. I can think of Twice this decade when the Queen should have acted to over-rule parliament in the interests of the public and she didnt. One I outlined above...the other was over the decision to go to war with Iraq.

If the Queen does not react to those two..then its safe to say she will NEVER act in a political situation short of an Invasion of England...I think in terms of going to war, in terms of corruption...and cases that need something outside of Government to deliver the final verdict, the Monarch should act.

She should have Stopped England going to war, when the Government wanted it, but the People didnt and the Government refused to give a referendum. She should have forced them to give us a vote, and only if positive to pass it through the commons.

She should now enforce a public inquiry into Iraq which the Government keep avoiding, along with enforcing criminal procedures for things like the Oval Tube shooting after 7/7

She should have thrown Speaker Martin out of Parliament (you know they are putting him in the House of Lords now...dispite being the first Speaker ousted in about 300 odd years!) she should have dissolved Parliament, and should have instigated an immediate General Ellection.

She should have forced a General ellection the moment Blair Retired, England should never be lumped with an unellected Prime Minister...Neither should the United States with a Vice President...if the President is killed...they oughta go into a General Ellection to ellect another...you just CANT have unellected politicians in democratic countries of our status

If worst comes to worst...I'd rather have a Monarchy, sole Monarchy...then a Government without one.

9) Its an Established Church...but its not Funded by the Government.

No Taxes go on The Church of England. (well maybe there is a miniscule amount, but to the best of my knowledge, nothing) In the begining they didnt need to because the Church owned the majority of land in the Country...why would the Government need to fund a wealthy land baron?

But times have changed, the Church sold most of its assets to "The Church Commisioners" IMHO a BIG mistake. Infact the Church itself pays for itself. Each Church in Each diocise pays an amount to a kitty that goes on stipenderies for the Employed people of the Church...where the Churches find the money from is...well...most of them are in the red.

Without a major shake up of priorities...my own church goes bankrupt three years from now....thats why Cathedrals have started charging people for entry as tourists...thats the only way they can afford to exist!

The Established part of the Church has no more bearing on politics outside of two places. The Church is Established via the Monarch...and we've already seen she doesnt act politically...so the Church isnt as Established Politically as the name implies. Its Minister do have the legal entitledment to marry and burry without a registrar of the crown, so the Official Records of the Church interms of baptisms, marriage and deaths are legal documents...but other then that and the fact that a few Bishops have seats in the House of Lords...

..the Church is really connected to the monarchy...bring down the monachy, and you end the Established Church...its Established to the Monarch NOT the Government. It is the Queen...NOT the Prime Minister who is Defender of the Faith.

Remove her office, and the links that tie State and Church are over.

Tyburn
07-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I agree.16 is way to young for....for anything :rolleyes:

So what about the teeth? Why do so many English people have bad teeth?
:laugh: because you cant get dental health on the National Health service

you have to pay private...we believe Health should be funded by the government...so...we dont do Dentists :blink:

Tyburn
07-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Some of my most fondest memories are from when I lived in England. It was definitely one of my favorite places to live.

A few funny things that I remember....
1) Right before we left in 1987, some places were just getting cable tv. Before that, we only had four channels, so we never watched TV. When played outside ALL the time. There were always kids around outside, rarely did anyone stay inside; regardless of the weather.

When we moved to the states, it was harder to make friends because cable TV was around and a lot of kids stayed inside watching tv lol.

2) We didn't pay sales tax on items we bought. I don't remember if it was just the stuff that we, as kids, were buying; candy, toys, etc., but the price you saw, was what you paid. When we moved here, a ten cent piece of candy suddenly costed more lol.

London was amazing! McDonalds was a weekly trip to London for us lol. I know it sounds weird.

The school I was in when I left England rivals most college campus settings. I was in 6th grade at the time. If anyone wants to look it up, I went to LAMS. It was for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.

3) I could go on and on about all things England that I remember.
Indeed...Terrestrial TV only consisted on BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel4 when I was young. The Channel5 came along...all of those received through a roof ariel.

Then Freeview Boxes arrived which allowed you to get digital TV, then came Sky which you could receive via a satalite dish...and now ground cable.

They will be turning off the Terrestrial Television altogether in a few years time. You will still be able to receive them...but only through digital means...no need for a roof ariel anymore...and TVs wont work without something extra then an ariel plugged into them.

Terrestrial TV goes the same way as Tapes and VHS :cry:

2) thats because the price they displayed included the Tax! its called VAT Value Added Tax...and its included in the price of sale :laugh:

3) PLEASE DO :w00t:

F34R
07-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Indeed...Terrestrial TV only consisted on BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel4 when I was young. The Channel5 came along...all of those received through a roof ariel.

Then Freeview Boxes arrived which allowed you to get digital TV, then came Sky which you could receive via a satalite dish...and now ground cable.

They will be turning off the Terrestrial Television altogether in a few years time. You will still be able to receive them...but only through digital means...no need for a roof ariel anymore...and TVs wont work without something extra then an ariel plugged into them.

Terrestrial TV goes the same way as Tapes and VHS :cry:

2) thats because the price they displayed included the Tax! its called VAT Value Added Tax...and its included in the price of sale :laugh:

3) PLEASE DO :w00t:

Yea, those are the same channels we didn't watch as kids lol. Yea, I never really knew what taxes and such were back then. It was only when we moved state side and actually had to see it first hand.

I remember going to this really really awesome roller rink in Bury St. Edmunds every few months. That was always fun. It would be a bunch of the kids from our neighborhood and our parents, loaded in a van.

I also was a really good bowler(not cricket lol) when I was young. I went to several tournaments while I was in the Prep division, including the Coca Cola tournament in Germany, after qualifying in England. I placed in the top 50 out of a couple hundred in my division.

Another thing that was completely different between England and the States, was the snow! I moved to Louisiana when I first came from England, and there wasnt any freakin' snow!! We maybe had two or three occasions where it would snow enough to build stuff out of it. Over in England, we always had a blast when it snowed in the winter. We also had to go to school, regardless of how much snow there was lol. In Louisiana, and in SC where I am now, if it snows just a little (rare that it snows at all here in SC), they cancel school outright.

I used to go watch Liverpool play once a month if they were in Anfield on the days we would be available to go. I watched my share of domination throughout the 80's with Ian Rush, Kenny Daglish, Gary Gillespie, Jan Molby, and a few games with John Barnes. I remember collecting football cards with GUM!! for my booklets, if you remember those.

Tyburn
07-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Yea, those are the same channels we didn't watch as kids lol. Yea, I never really knew what taxes and such were back then. It was only when we moved state side and actually had to see it first hand.

I remember going to this really really awesome roller rink in Bury St. Edmunds every few months. That was always fun. It would be a bunch of the kids from our neighborhood and our parents, loaded in a van.

I also was a really good bowler(not cricket lol) when I was young. I went to several tournaments while I was in the Prep division, including the Coca Cola tournament in Germany, after qualifying in England. I placed in the top 50 out of a couple hundred in my division.

Another thing that was completely different between England and the States, was the snow! I moved to Louisiana when I first came from England, and there wasnt any freakin' snow!! We maybe had two or three occasions where it would snow enough to build stuff out of it. Over in England, we always had a blast when it snowed in the winter. We also had to go to school, regardless of how much snow there was lol. In Louisiana, and in SC where I am now, if it snows just a little (rare that it snows at all here in SC), they cancel school outright.

I used to go watch Liverpool play once a month if they were in Anfield on the days we would be available to go. I watched my share of domination throughout the 80's with Ian Rush, Kenny Daglish, Gary Gillespie, Jan Molby, and a few games with John Barnes. I remember collecting football cards with GUM!! for my booklets, if you remember those.
Are you English?

I mean...were you born in England?

You know the thing about the snow during the 1970s and 1980s is that we havent had that kinda snow since you left :laugh: not that far south anyway

If it snows now, London grinds to a halt :blink:

I love Liverpool...not the football club...but the city...sadly my days of visiting Liverpool are over. The Mixed Martial Art Promotion that I would visit every other month and report on, collapsed yesterday :cry:

Play The Man
07-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I came across a copy of The Book of Common Prayer that was on sale (1979 edition). In your opinion, what edition is the best?

Play The Man
07-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I remember seeing footage of Churchill's funeral in 1965. It was a very dignified event. It was especially moving when the dock workers lowered their cranes as a sign of respect when the casket went by them. Fast forward to 1997 and the funeral of Lady Diana. It was a maudlin affair with Elton John recycling a Marilyn Monroe song like it was some great tribute. What year did the culture turn? For us, it was probably 1968. Did you have a hippie and anti-war movement?

Play The Man
07-05-2009, 08:25 PM
When an American has a break during work it is informally called a "coffee break". When you take a break is it called a "tea break" and do you literally drink tea every day?

What do you call an English muffin? Do you just call it a muffin and if so then what do you call the baked good that we call a muffin?

What do you call potato chips? You eat fish and "chips" but your "chips" more resemble an American "French fry", what name does that leave to the poor potato chip?

How did the vulgar adjective "bloody" become so widespead in use in England? In the "Winnie the Pooh" books and "The Wind in the Willows" the exclamation "Oh, Bother!" is used to express frustration. I have adopted this exclamation to avoid saying worse in front of my child. Is this phrase still used in England or is it an archaic Victorian expression?

Tyburn
07-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I came across a copy of The Book of Common Prayer that was on sale (1979 edition). In your opinion, what edition is the best?
the oldest...I think 1662...but I could be wrong on the date...the older prayers use more fantastic language...there might be a real early one...but the 1662 is the one that is most used in terms of BCP...its still in use today...versus the horrible "Common Worship" version which is...well just pigfugly and modern

"make your humble confession to almighty GOD, meekly kneeling upon your knees" for example :laugh:ends the 1662 prayer of confession

Tyburn
07-05-2009, 10:40 PM
I remember seeing footage of Churchill's funeral in 1965. It was a very dignified event. It was especially moving when the dock workers lowered their cranes as a sign of respect when the casket went by them. Fast forward to 1997 and the funeral of Lady Diana. It was a maudlin affair with Elton John recycling a Marilyn Monroe song like it was some great tribute. What year did the culture turn? For us, it was probably 1968. Did you have a hippie and anti-war movement?
well...Churchills Funeral took place at Saint Paul's Cathedral....and there are no Vestments on Earth that rival the most beautiful Churchill Copes...they are stunning...I have not only seen them in person...I have carried them from the Vestment locker over to the Deans Vestry for the Clergy to wear on the feast of All Souls for the Requiem Mass.

But I think a State Funeral at the abbey is alright...the problem mostly is that you might only have seen the horrible highlights...try looking at these four videos...and tell me if you still feel those services have changed or not? They are more dignified then your State Funerals...although the Recessional for Regan was absolutely heartbreaking...his poor wife :sad:

Shows the Arrival of Princess Elizabeth, The Queen Mother

Being a full Royal when she died, the Queen Mother went through what is known as a period of rest between death and burrial whilst being on public display. In the Palace of Westminster, there is a BIG hall, it must, at one time have been a throne room before Government. Its known as Westminster Hall and its where she lies in State. Now Westminster Abbey is litterally a stones throw from The Palace of Westminster...so the procession was increadibly short :laugh: Never the less, out came the gun-carriage and horse mounted mourners...and a whole battalion of bagpipers! She was Scotish Nobility before she Married into the bloodline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtFioVh74lE

Shows the Declaration of The Death of Princess Elizabeth, The Queen Mother

Garter King of Arms has a posh voice btw LOL (The service ends with the blessing and choral amen...then the proclaimation begins between two trumpet fanfares, and finally, the National Anthem.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_rwBdVheMI

Shows the Introit of Lady Diana, Princess of Wales

These are the funerial Sentances....and watch how it is timed to perfection with the pall bearers leaving via the south transept at exactly the amen of the final sentance...please note the only non biblical phrase sung is a prayer from the BCP!! The music is by Purcell...I'm giving some consideration to having it at my Funeral...but...I think I might just want to enter to Bachs prelude in C minor instead...I cant decide...and every other day I change my mind and change my ICOD file :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKNmlXXvl0c

Shows the Reccessional of Lady Diana, Princess of Wales

The Blessing is given by a Royal Chaplain, (The Dean of Westminster I think) not the Archbishop of Canterbury as befits a State Funeral for a Royal, and Diana did not lie in State like other Royals...because she wasnt exactly a Royal when she died, She'd married into the bloodline, had kids, and then divorced. It is rumoured that the Queen did not wish to give her a State Funeral at all...but the People were so enthralled by the Late Princess, that they arranged one. She leaves to a Tune by Tavener...who wrote it for the funeral of a young woman killed in a car accident...its is...awesome...particularly as the Virger carries out the procession and times it PERFECTLY so that as the Music reaches its final crescendo, the Coffin is passing the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior and pauses at the Great West Door of Westminster Abbey...truely...beautiful...he timed it perfectly! just like his collegue did the introit!! I love the music so much...I have asked to have it at my own Funeral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_QgNkG5jg

oooooooooooooooooooooh Yes the 1970s and early 1980s saw the hippie movement in England...and all the nasty tree huggery and CND and all kinds of eco-warrior, spliff smoking, crazzies....who are of the same generation as the parents of most people my age :laugh:

Tyburn
07-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Incidently...the Coffins of Royalty are Lead Lined...which means...if you were to raid them...you'd probably find all previous Monarch are still lying in their coffins...erm...juicy :blink:

also...if you want to check out Regans Recessional at National in Washington DC...here is the linkey-dooo :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4oTrQgFYFI

Remember, the Episcopal Church is part of The Anglican Communion (at the moment...or at least last time I checked...assuming they havent done anything else to offend the Africans :unsure: )

Tyburn
07-05-2009, 11:08 PM
1)When an American has a break during work it is informally called a "coffee break". When you take a break is it called a "tea break" and do you literally drink tea every day?

2)What do you call an English muffin? Do you just call it a muffin and if so then what do you call the baked good that we call a muffin?

3) What do you call potato chips? You eat fish and "chips" but your "chips" more resemble an American "French fry", what name does that leave to the poor potato chip?

4) How did the vulgar adjective "bloody" become so widespead in use in England? In the "Winnie the Pooh" books and "The Wind in the Willows" the exclamation "Oh, Bother!" is used to express frustration. I have adopted this exclamation to avoid saying worse in front of my child. Is this phrase still used in England or is it an archaic Victorian expression?
1) its customery to have a "coffe break" at 11am, and "Tea break" at 3pm...but these are increadible Traditions that are not observed by most. Most English people just say "break" or worse "Fag break" which means they are off to have a smoke Most English people will consume both coffee and tea (and I mean made with hot water and with milk, not iced or sweet) every day yes.

2) well..Muffins for English people are small cakes...if that helps:laugh: I think what your thinking of as a muffin, we call a Crumpet hahahaha

3) things you eat with fish, are chips, things you eat with macdonalds...fries (we dont call them french fries...because we dont like to associate ourselves with a certain republic on the continent that didnt even invent the thin style chip :laugh: ) and Potatoe Chips...are Crisps :laugh:

4) its mainly an old victorian style saying...sadly, the British Language is known for its areas of decay...we might be English...but we dont pretend to be able to write it gramattically, spell it anything but phonetically...and we certainly dont speak it proper :ninja:

Play The Man
07-06-2009, 04:36 AM
well...Churchills Funeral took place at Saint Paul's Cathedral....and there are no Vestments on Earth that rival the most beautiful Churchill Copes...they are stunning...I have not only seen them in person...I have carried them from the Vestment locker over to the Deans Vestry for the Clergy to wear on the feast of All Souls for the Requiem Mass.

But I think a State Funeral at the abbey is alright...the problem mostly is that you might only have seen the horrible highlights...try looking at these four videos...and tell me if you still feel those services have changed or not? They are more dignified then your State Funerals...although the Recessional for Regan was absolutely heartbreaking...his poor wife :sad:

I stated my comments and question poorly. I didn't necessarily mean the funeral ceremony. What I meant to say was that between those points in time there seemed to be a change in the character of the English people. Whereas, before they were "stiff-upper lip" now they were bathetic. Today, I officially withdraw my comment and question in embarrassment.:ashamed: Over 1.5 million Americans have applied for tickets to Michael Jackson's memorial service. As an American, I have no room to comment on the behavior of the English people following Lady Diana's death, when I see how my countrymen are behaving following the death of Michael Jackson.

Play The Man
07-06-2009, 06:24 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/tv-radio-obituaries/5713979/Mollie-Sugden.html

Mollie Sugden, the actress who died on July 1 aged 86, endeared herself to television viewers as Mrs Slocombe of the Ladies Separates and Underwear department in Jeremy Lloyd and David Croft's long-running sitcom Are You Being Served? :sad:

Tyburn
07-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I stated my comments and question poorly. I didn't necessarily mean the funeral ceremony. What I meant to say was that between those points in time there seemed to be a change in the character of the English people. Whereas, before they were "stiff-upper lip" now they were bathetic. Today, I officially withdraw my comment and question in embarrassment.:ashamed: Over 1.5 million Americans have applied for tickets to Michael Jackson's memorial service. As an American, I have no room to comment on the behavior of the English people following Lady Diana's death, when I see how my countrymen are behaving following the death of Michael Jackson.
the problem is the death of any major celebrity seems to cause mass hysteria, in an age where people do not understand Death because they have rejected their Christian heratage

Heck the biggest funeral this year was for some bizzare and stupid reality TV star :scared0015: people went mad! their was weeping in the streets and people took it is a national holiday...it was quite grotesque, all because they believed, in all honnesty, that death is the complete end.

This sort of thing really appeared after the second world war, when a nation of GOD fearing men dissapeared in the fields of eastern France, their children let down their hair as soon as rations ended, and THATS where the hippie movement began, nothing had promoted Christianity since the Enlightenment (which dispite the name was a european blindness) The only reason you see dignified processions with Churchill is because he was a throwback to the war, and the survivors remembered him....when he was gone only the Royals had the proper treatment, and even that was minimized by mizers over cost

That is my theory :unsure-1:

Buc Nasty
07-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Apologies for the language......

F*** no!!!!!!!! :tongue0011:

Tyburn
07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Apologies for the language......

F*** no!!!!!!!! :tongue0011:
Hell No....Americans say Hell....You do so desperately desire to be American right...:huh: :laugh:

Crisco
07-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Hell No....Americans say Hell....You do so desperately desire to be American right...:huh: :laugh:

I prefer **** no actually.

Then again I'm from NJ.

We are notorious for our mouths. It's quite embarrasing.

Boomer always looks at me with an odd glance now and again when we hang out.

"Like was it really needed for you to just f bomb right now"

Tyburn
07-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I prefer **** no actually.

Then again I'm from NJ.

We are notorious for our mouths. It's quite embarrasing.

Boomer always looks at me with an odd glance now and again when we hang out.

"Like was it really needed for you to just f bomb right now"
City people are more Anglocized in many ways....tiz a shame.

When I think of "American" I am thinking "Matt Hughes" not "Matt Serra" :laugh:

rockdawg21
07-06-2009, 04:19 PM
So, what does English history teach you about Scotland's fight against English tyranny and their fight for freedom? I saw Braveheart, I know the truth! :laugh: I believe it starts like, "Historians in England will say that I am a liar, but history is written by those who've hanged heroes."

Tyburn
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
So, what does English history teach you about Scotland's fight against English tyranny and their fight for freedom? I saw Braveheart, I know the truth! :laugh: I believe it starts like, "Historians in England will say that I am a liar, but history is written by those who've hanged heroes."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DolgKVfSvg

Something like that :laugh: he's lucky it wasnt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-Rlfxp1ew

:frantics: warning, the links are not for kids to watch :laugh:

Tyburn
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-Rlfxp1ew (appologies for it being in French LOL...incase your wondering, the video is historically inaccurate in its very ending...)

rockdawg21
07-06-2009, 05:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-Rlfxp1ew (appologies for it being in French LOL...incase your wondering, the video is historically inaccurate in its very ending...)

I knew you couldn't answer the question! Guess Bravehart is the truth! :Whistle:

Play The Man
07-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Is blood sausage actually made with blood?

What American television shows are available for you to watch?

Buc Nasty
07-07-2009, 12:17 PM
What American television shows are available for you to watch?

Quite a lot. Shows I'm a fan of that are aired here are ....

TUF (Shocking I know! :laugh: )
Lost
Heroes
Dexter
The Unit
Prison Break (until season 4 :angry: )
Breaking Bad
The Big Bang Theory
Two and a Half Men
The Life and Times of Tim
South Park
Family Guy
American Dad

There are way more that I don't watch too.

I download all of the above anyway, I'm too impatient for the UK screening! Plus its the only way I get to see stuff like Eastbound and Down and SNL!

rockdawg21
07-07-2009, 12:58 PM
During TUF, to help Americans understand some of the UK guys, Spike used closed captioning.

Do Brits have a hard time understanding Americans in the same way? Meaning, on those American shows, do they have to write the text at the bottom of the screen?

Tyburn
07-07-2009, 04:23 PM
During TUF, to help Americans understand some of the UK guys, Spike used closed captioning.

Do Brits have a hard time understanding Americans in the same way? Meaning, on those American shows, do they have to write the text at the bottom of the screen?
:laugh: NO :laugh:

Play The Man
07-07-2009, 04:43 PM
What are the regional stereotypes of the different areas of England (and/or Britain)? I realize that you can't accurately describe millions of people with a couple sentences.

If you had a friend visiting Britain and they had 7 days time and a healthy budget, what would you advise them to see in that amount of time? Would you tell them to stick to just England?

Play The Man
07-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Is Guy Fawkes night widely celebrated?

Play The Man
07-07-2009, 07:54 PM
What is with British cuisine? It doesn't seem that appetizing and where do the funny names come from? Spotted Dick, Toad-in-the-Hole, Bubble & Squeak, Bangers & Mash, Bacon Roly-Poly, etc. They sound like double entendres used as risque chapter names from some hellish, culinary-based, British Kama Sutra! :scared0015:

Play The Man
07-07-2009, 08:47 PM
It seems that when British speakers sing some seem to lose, or partially lose, their accent. Is this my imagination? Are they doing this on purpose to be more marketable in America or is there something about the act of singing that doesn't allow a singer to annunciate a British accent?

rockdawg21
07-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day? :laugh:

Blade
07-09-2009, 10:29 AM
2) that depends on your definition of a pocket knife. A Knife thats small, or part of a keyring sort of thing is fine...but a flick out blade, or a stanley knife...is likely to get you into trouble if you are caught with it. You would probably be arrested, and the knife would be conviscated...your unlikely to end up in prison though...unless you use the knife.

Now...just being in possession of a firearm...not even using it, could cost you up to 15 years in gaol

It is illegal to carry any bladed article in public, and if you got searched and the cops found one on your person then you would be arrested and prosecuted for it. If it was just a keyring-type thing or a pen knife that had other tools on it, then if the cop had an ounce of common sense he might just overlook it, but any sort of lock-knife, butterfly knife etc is a big no-no.

And the minimum sentence for being caught in possession of a firearm is 5 years. You would only get something as large as 15 yrs if you were caught smuggling several hundred of them into the country or something like that, lol.

Play The Man
07-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Are you familiar with the laundry detergent commercials with the British Cheers laundress, Rose Spires? Do they air in Britain? Do you have commercials that air in Britain with stereotypical Americans as characters? Is the term, "dingies", used commonly in Britain?

http://www.cheer.com/games/cheer-commercials.shtml
If your time is limited and you can't watch them all, the one called, "Tennis", is pretty good.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
07-11-2009, 08:01 AM
1=What American accent seems easiest for Y'All to understand?

2=In doing the family tree thing I found alot of Ancestors from Scotland and Ireland! What can we read about them Countries that will tell what they were like in the 1500 -1300? Also if you know much about it feel free to write a Ancient History Post!

3-Info on Cullan Castle would be nice!

DonnaMaria
07-13-2009, 08:19 PM
English accents are really cool............even the ones I can't truly understand!:laugh:

Yup............I said it............

because everyone was expecting me to anyway!:laugh:

DonnaMaria
07-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Wow look! I'm up to 3 posts!:happydancing:

Play The Man
07-14-2009, 06:34 PM
How many castles, estates, etc. does the royal family own?

Crisco
07-14-2009, 07:54 PM
What exactly is a swamp donkey?

Play The Man
07-14-2009, 08:12 PM
It looks like Tyburn has given up on us. No posts in about a week.:sad:

DonnaMaria
07-14-2009, 08:45 PM

That's a good one! What the heck is a swamp donkey?:blink:

I know what bog roll is!

Play The Man
07-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Please sir . . . can I have some more . . . answers to Tyburn's questions?:unsure-1:

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 10:45 PM
It looks like Tyburn has given up on us. No posts in about a week.:sad:
:laugh: I stopped getting the email reminders for some reason. But IM BACK :)

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 10:55 PM
What are the regional stereotypes of the different areas of England (and/or Britain)? I realize that you can't accurately describe millions of people with a couple sentences.

If you had a friend visiting Britain and they had 7 days time and a healthy budget, what would you advise them to see in that amount of time? Would you tell them to stick to just England?
Regional Stereotypes :huh: can you rephrase the question...I dont quite understand what your asking.

I've never heard of "blood sausage" but...Black Pudding IS really made of Blood...and I have, and never will, EVER eat that

A week in England...Well...I would say that you MUST visit London, You must Visit the South Bank, the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral, Saint Paul's Cathedral, Southwalk Cathedral, Camden Market, Covent Gardens, and Oxford Street. Bloomsbury is nice aswell.

I would say you should visit Stonehenge...although...I never have.

You really should see the Humber Bridge, and Visit Lincoln, because its beautiful...You should also visit Oxford, because thats very picturesque...the Clifton Downs of Bristol, Liverpool Docklands, Bradford...stand on the top floor of the Richmond Building at night and look down on the city, and see the industrial ring of darkness around the centre. Visit Caphouse Colliaery, and Eden Camp...ohhh and also visit Brimham Rocks...and Nidd Gorge...you've gotta see the City of York...and you need to do a pennines crossing either by train or by car...perhaps go up into the peak and lake districts...go through cumbria

Dont forget Fountains Abbey, and Whitby Abbey....ohh and Skeggy!!! :laugh:

Generally...you could spend a whole lifetime discovering England.:laugh:

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Is Guy Fawkes night widely celebrated?
YES

like THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Iy4AvSf3-A

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 11:04 PM
What is with British cuisine? It doesn't seem that appetizing and where do the funny names come from? Spotted Dick, Toad-in-the-Hole, Bubble & Squeak, Bangers & Mash, Bacon Roly-Poly, etc. They sound like double entendres used as risque chapter names from some hellish, culinary-based, British Kama Sutra! :scared0015:
Spotted Dick is a pudding that has currents in and that you eat with custard

Toad in the whole, is bassically a very large yorkshire pudding with sausages cooked in the pudding batter....I assume you know what a yorkshire pudding is :huh:

Bubble and Squeak is boiled white cabbage mixed with mash potatoes

bangers and mash is mashed potatoes and sausages

Bacon Roly-poly?? Never heard of that, but a jam roly poly, is bassically a jam filled sponge based swiss roll...do you know what a swiss roll is :huh:

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 11:08 PM
It seems that when British speakers sing some seem to lose, or partially lose, their accent. Is this my imagination? Are they doing this on purpose to be more marketable in America or is there something about the act of singing that doesn't allow a singer to annunciate a British accent?
All kinds of nationalities lose their accent when they sing...it will have something to do with the stress on the vocal chords...and how easy it is to have proper diction on the words. :)

Brogues are particularly lost. Listen to Irish Singers....unless they are singing in their native tongue and in a folk style it can be very hard to hear them as anything other then English:ninja:

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day? :laugh:
YES :laugh:

We dont really celebrate St Georges Day though :sad:

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 11:10 PM
And the minimum sentence for being caught in possession of a firearm is 5 years. .
Half 15, deduct a few for good behaviour. Thats how it works :laugh:

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Are you familiar with the laundry detergent commercials with the British Cheers laundress, Rose Spires? Do they air in Britain? Do you have commercials that air in Britain with stereotypical Americans as characters? Is the term, "dingies", used commonly in Britain?

http://www.cheer.com/games/cheer-commercials.shtml
If your time is limited and you can't watch them all, the one called, "Tennis", is pretty good.
Never heard of either of those ditergents.

never heard of dingies either.

Here a lot of "Yanks" :laugh:

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 11:20 PM
1=What American accent seems easiest for Y'All to understand?

2=In doing the family tree thing I found alot of Ancestors from Scotland and Ireland! What can we read about them Countries that will tell what they were like in the 1500 -1300? Also if you know much about it feel free to write a Ancient History Post!

3-Info on Cullan Castle would be nice!

1) I cant understand the MALE southern Accent without concentrating. Met Preach once...we went out for dinner...I couldnt tell you what we talked about...I had to really concentrate to understand what he was saying...I told Nathan that and he said that Preach doesnt even have a strong southern accent :laugh:

However...I have no problem understand Denise....I might laugh at the way she sounds and pronounces words...It reminds me of the film 2001 mainiacs...there is a woman in that film who sounds just like Her :laugh:

So much so...I had the increadible urge to say "G'Baaaaaaaaah" everytime we went for a commercial break :laugh:

Also the accent that Jens Pulver speaks is sometimes a little bit difficult if I'm not concentrating...that might just be because he speaks extremely quickly

I have no trouble with East to west coast excluding south and north then I guess.

I'd have to do some research to tell you about the historical questions. I know the plantation in Northern Ireland didnt go very well, I know there was a terrible potatoe famine in the south. I know that Scotland for a long time had an independant Monarchy

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 11:23 PM
How many castles, estates, etc. does the royal family own?
Quite a few.

But not as many as The National Trust.

Alot of the Houses that were once owned by the Great Barons of the Land have now been given over to the National Trust which looks after properties from Ruined Castles and Abbeys, to Stately Homes. It charges people entry as a tourist destination, and uses the money to preserve the areas it protects.

All the Functioning Castles in England are owned by the Monarchy...Except for Westminster Palace. Thats now the Seat of Government. Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle I think are the Queens Favourite.

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
:huh:

I dont know.

Bog Roll is Toilet Roll....Bogs are Toilets :laugh:

Play The Man
07-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Regional Stereotypes :huh: can you rephrase the question...I dont quite understand what your asking.

In America, midwesterners are generally thought of a hardworking, no nonsense, down-to-earth people. Of course, tens of millions of people live in the midwest and millions don't fit the stereotype; however, I think if you interviewed a midwesterner and a Californian, you would have better than chance odds of determining who was who. How would you describe the typical Londoner vs. the typical Liverpudlian; Manxman vs. Yorkshireman, etc.?

Play The Man
07-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Here a lot of "Yanks" :laugh:

Would you call people from the South, Yanks?

Play The Man
07-21-2009, 01:49 AM
Toad in the whole, is bassically a very large yorkshire pudding with sausages cooked in the pudding batter....I assume you know what a yorkshire pudding is :huh:

Yes, my grandmother used to make it. I love bread pudding. What do you call something like Jello chocolate pudding? Do you call that pudding, as well?

Play The Man
07-21-2009, 01:50 AM
How long does it take to drive from the far south of England up to the border with Scotland?

Play The Man
07-21-2009, 02:03 AM
What do you think of the song, "My Country, 'Tis Of Thee"? You might recognize the music:Whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG1W7JDWv50

Play The Man
07-21-2009, 05:14 AM
YES

like THIS

That looks like footage from a typical Independence Day celebration!

Tyburn
07-21-2009, 04:25 PM
I'll come back to answer your questions after my gym session...but I just wanted to deposite this 3 moment video...its about one of the Queens Residences in Scotland :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ9B5Zv1fgk

Tyburn
07-21-2009, 10:32 PM
In America, midwesterners are generally thought of a hardworking, no nonsense, down-to-earth people. Of course, tens of millions of people live in the midwest and millions don't fit the stereotype; however, I think if you interviewed a midwesterner and a Californian, you would have better than chance odds of determining who was who. How would you describe the typical Londoner vs. the typical Liverpudlian; Manxman vs. Yorkshireman, etc.?
I'm not sure we have steroetypes based on geographical areas quite like you do :unsure-1:

Tyburn
07-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Would you call people from the South, Yanks?
Generally the word "Yank" is interchangeable with the word "American" in this Country...its not always meant as insulting...but sometimes, it sound a bit like the person choses the former word to somehow degrade the latter.

I'd never use the word...for some reason I find it distasteful :blink:

Tyburn
07-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Yes, my grandmother used to make it. I love bread pudding. What do you call something like Jello chocolate pudding? Do you call that pudding, as well?
Jello?

Do you mean like Jelly? like a flan? or do you mean like a Moouse....a sorta thing half way to yoghurt :laugh:

Tyburn
07-21-2009, 10:37 PM
How long does it take to drive from the far south of England up to the border with Scotland?
That depends. Our Road system isnt as good as yours. Our Motorways actually still bring us in very close proximity to large cities...sometimes, right through the centre.

I'd say by train, probably 5 hours, by car, maybe 8ish.

Blade
07-21-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure we have steroetypes based on geographical areas quite like you do :unsure-1:

Sure we do, Scousers (people from Liverpool) are criminals, people from the North-East are a bit simple, people in the West-Country (Bristol) come from a small gene pool, haha, people from Yorkshire either work on a farm or in a factory, cockneys (London) are loud and brash, Essex girls are...well, ya know, lol, and looking at the U.K as a whole, the Scottish are tight with money, the Irish like drinking and fighting and the Welsh, well, they're just plain ignorant, lol.

Tyburn
07-21-2009, 10:54 PM
What do you think of the song, "My Country, 'Tis Of Thee"? You might recognize the music:Whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG1W7JDWv50
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I much perfer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjOvglYEzcg

:) Listen to the Harmonies...that you almost never here anymore!

Tyburn
07-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Sure we do, Scousers (people from Liverpool) are criminals, people from the North-East are a bit simple, people in the West-Country (Bristol) come from a small gene pool, haha, people from Yorkshire either work on a farm or in a factory, cockneys (London) are loud and brash, Essex girls are...well, ya know, lol, and looking at the U.K as a whole, the Scottish are tight with money, the Irish like drinking and fighting and the Welsh, well, they're just plain ignorant, lol.
:laugh: :laugh:

I'm not sure those views are really previlent anymore...guess it depends on your class background :blink:

Love how you missed out The Midlands Blade...Care to tell us where you fit into the stereotypes?

Play The Man
07-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Generally the word "Yank" is interchangeable with the word "American" in this Country...its not always meant as insulting...but sometimes, it sound a bit like the person choses the former word to somehow degrade the latter.

I'd never use the word...for some reason I find it distasteful :blink:

I have a free piece of advice; whatever you do, don't call someone from the South, a "Yank"! During the Civil War, the North was personified as "Billy Yank" and the South was personified as "Johnny Reb". Even after almost 150 years, some people in the South still call Northerners, "Yankees" - and it is not a term of endearment!

Play The Man
07-22-2009, 12:07 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I much perfer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjOvglYEzcg

:) Listen to the Harmonies...that you almost never here anymore!

FYI, here are the lyrics to "My Country, 'Tis Of Thee":
1. My country,' tis of thee,
sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing;
land where my fathers died,
land of the pilgrims' pride,
from every mountainside let freedom ring!

2. My native country, thee,
land of the noble free, thy name I love;
I love thy rocks and rills,
thy woods and templed hills;
my heart with rapture thrills, like that above.

3. Let music swell the breeze,
and ring from all the trees sweet freedom's song;
let mortal tongues awake;
let all that breathe partake;
let rocks their silence break, the sound prolong.

4. Our fathers' God, to thee,
author of liberty, to thee we sing;
long may our land be bright
with freedom's holy light;
protect us by thy might, great God, our King.

I know the first stanza by heart; however, the remainder I need to read. The first and last stanza are great.

Play The Man
07-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Jello?

Do you mean like Jelly? like a flan? or do you mean like a Moouse....a sorta thing half way to yoghurt :laugh:

Jell-o is a brand name (I guess you don't have it) that is so popular that its name is interchangeable with any fruit-flavored gelatin dessert. Jell-o also makes "pudding". It is not as "airy" as a mousse. I guess the consistency would be similar to Yoplait yogurt.

Blade
07-22-2009, 11:03 AM
:laugh: :laugh:

I'm not sure those views are really previlent anymore...guess it depends on your class background :blink:

Love how you missed out The Midlands Blade...Care to tell us where you fit into the stereotypes?

Who says I'm from the Midlands? But to answer your question...working class scum with faces blackened by smog and talking with a retarded accent, how's that? lol

Tyburn
07-22-2009, 12:18 PM
I have a free piece of advice; whatever you do, don't call someone from the South, a "Yank"! During the Civil War, the North was personified as "Billy Yank" and the South was personified as "Johnny Reb". Even after almost 150 years, some people in the South still call Northerners, "Yankees" - and it is not a term of endearment!
The South will rise again :ninja:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt3IIwaFSIE :laugh:

Tyburn
07-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Who says I'm from the Midlands? But to answer your question...working class scum with faces blackened by smog and talking with a retarded accent, how's that? lol
:ninja: we know things Blade.

We know where you live :laugh:

(okay so we dont, but it sounded good) :happydancing:

Play The Man
07-22-2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23416251-details/Muslim+graves+could+displace+350%2C000+bodies/article.do

Muslim graves could displace 350,000 bodies

A third of a million bodies could be dug up from a historic east London cemetery to make way for a new Muslim burial site.

Tower Hamlets council is considering reopening its Cemetery Park in Mile End in response to a long-running campaign for a Muslim graveyard in the area.

The park, off Bow Common Lane, was deconsecrated as a Church of England cemetery by Parliament in 1966, after being deemed full with about 350,000 bodies buried there.

Environmentalist and broadcaster David Bellamy is leading calls for the park to be kept as a wildlife haven. The botanist is patron of a charity that acts as the guardian of the graveyard.

The other options are to find land outside Tower Hamlets or redevelop the Bow Common gas works.

Councillors had asked officers to find ways of opening a Muslim-only cemetery but lawyers warned them that would be illegal. The authority then examined the possibility of a multi-faith site, clearing existing graves to create a new cemetery with an area set aside for Muslim burials.

The Rev Alan Green, chairman of the Tower Hamlets Inter-Faith Forum and dean for the borough, has warned of the "emotional, practical and ecological issues of removing thousands of bodies".

I remember reading this story a couple years ago and was just shocked. Has it happened yet?

Tyburn
07-22-2009, 10:39 PM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23416251-details/Muslim+graves+could+displace+350%2C000+bodies/article.do

I remember reading this story a couple years ago and was just shocked. Has it happened yet?
:blink: not that I know of.

The problem is practical...WTF do you do with the bodies you dig up?

One thing strikes me as being Odd...You say the Graveyard was Deconsecrated by an Act of Parliament??? Isnt it the Churches decision when to Deconsecrate? What else can Parliament Deconsecrate???

Secondly...Why would you deconsecrate a full grave yard? The land doesnt stop being the Holy resting place for Christian saints and soldiers because it becomes full up. I bloody hope its not common practise to deconsecrate a graveyard as soon as its full.

I'm pretty sure they only usually do that if the Graveyard is so old that there is absolutely no possiblity of relatives visitng graves. You know...1700s full graveyards would be ripe for deconsecration...noone remembers them now do they:unsure-1:

Play The Man
07-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Do children wear uniforms to school?

Play The Man
07-25-2009, 05:07 AM
As a Brit, how do you feel about Hughes GOAT's signature picture?

Tyburn
07-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Do children wear uniforms to school?
OF COURSE

Very strict Uniforms. It depends on which school you go to, but even at Juniors School they wear some kinda Uniform.

At Secondary School you have to wear Uniform upuntil 6th Form, then its business attire. At our School they used to get extremely irrate if the Uniform wasnt correct. Girls really got it in the head, regularly they would be made to kneel down to make sure the skirts were Knee length and not shorter or longer (they developed ways of making a shorter skirt longer by undoing it slightly at the back...I had two Sisiters...) They would also have to paint, with nail varnish, hair clips to be in School colours.

Blazers could only be removed if the flag flew at half mast....and Coats had to be black or blue and they were NOT to be worn inside the building.

I went to The Lincol School of Science and Technology, the first of a Second Wave of Grant maintained Comprehensives with supposedly special status as technology colleges, which only really entitled them to more funds. The project kinda crashed and burned. When I got to sixth form, the School changed its name to "The Priory" and it was headed by an Ex-Force Head Master...who of course found our rule based system much to his liking...there was very little between turning what was a strict school into a bootcamp, which he duly did :laugh:

After I moved to Bradford University, the Government tried to force educational systems to merge. It backfired, and not many did. One place jumped at the chance. "The Priory Federation of Academies" was basically when three or four local schools became part of one institution. Obviously under the Priory Banner. So I give you the website...you click on "The Priory Academy" link (not the other Academies as they existed as independant schools during my time)

Now you see why I'm so pompous. "The Lincoln School of Science and Technology" " The Priory Federation of Academies" thats "Partnership, Excellence and Enterprise" at its most pompous isnt it.

http://www.priorylsst.co.uk/

(Do tell me what you think)

Tyburn
07-26-2009, 06:59 PM
As a Brit, how do you feel about Hughes GOAT's signature picture?
:laugh: it makes me laugh because I dont like Michael Bisping :laugh:

I've never been silent about the fact I dont think Michael is a very good ambassidor for our country. If he was, people would be sorry that he was KO'd and respect him as a bounce back. Instead, most people laugh and say he got what he deserved...and they are absolutely right. He's so hard it takes other American Fighters to come out and support him...and thats just sad. Its like now he's so weak..he needs an American Fighter to say "Hey I have confidence in Micheal Bisping"

That annoys me more then anything.

Tyburn
07-26-2009, 07:12 PM
I've just perused the site myself.

There is examples of the uniform on it. You can also see the work they've put in on some of the Gardens. When I first started only Saint Hughes Quadrangle was really built to such a high standard. They have Re-labled "Business reception" as "The Training Suite" the problem with LSST has always been that its built right next to a gasworks. It opened its duel site on the opposite side of the gasworks, when I was there. There is a track nearly a half mile between the two, it looks like they've developed more on that site, probably by buying more and more land from that gasworks.

So the school basically surrounds a gasworks entirely now.

The School is also a hell of a lot older then she looks. See during the 1980s there was another school on the same site called "South Park" it was a Girls school, and it was shut down by Maggie. It was redeveloped and opened as LSST in the 1990s.

Now the older building, she still inhabits the same space. Corridors, continue beyond the walls in a lot of places...the stair continue up to a floor above the top floor in the main school. Most of these Corridors end in a big "Fire Door" and if you look through the keyhole you can see the corridor continue, or the staircase continue.

Just one of the many facts I brought to life when I wrote the Eight Year History and founded the Archive. I got it diplomatic immunity in the Library sinse some of what it said...I admit, might have been a little too political for the Ex-Force staff to handle.

See I really dissagreed with some of the changes that appeared in the 6th form when the new Head arrived. Things like setting up and OTC, and giving those who volunteered to be part of it special priviledges.

I abhored the fool who used to continually march between the two sites with his little berret and pompom on the top of it....and he knew it :laugh:

Play The Man
07-26-2009, 07:26 PM
What is "6th form"?

Our school system is set-up in the following manner:

Pre-school (optional)
Kindergarten
Elementary School (1st grade-4th grade)
Middle School (5th grade-6th grade)
Junior High School (7th grade - 8th grade)
High School (9th grade - 12th grade)
University (optional)

The divisions might differ depending on the school district. A small district might put all the children, from Kindergarten to 8th grade in one building.

Do I understand correctly that your "public schools" are actually the elite, private schools?

Play The Man
07-27-2009, 08:14 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.05b8367e966aac56deaba75b69bc525 1.201&show_article=1

A city council said Saturday it was considering using underground burial chambers, currently a tourist attraction, to store the corpses of swine flu victims if the pandemic worsens.

Exeter City Council said the empty 19th-century catacombs could become an emergency mortuary.

A council spokesman said the plan could be put into operation if the cemeteries and the crematorium could not keep up with funeral demands.

He said: "We have some empty catacombs in an old cemetery in the city. These are 19th century underground burial chambers which are normally a tourist attraction," he said.

"They can, however, be safely used for their original purpose and allow us to temporarily store bodies in the remote possibility that the need should arise."

Have you heard about this?

Tyburn
07-27-2009, 11:41 PM
What is "6th form"?

Our school system is set-up in the following manner:

Pre-school (optional)
Kindergarten
Elementary School (1st grade-4th grade)
Middle School (5th grade-6th grade)
Junior High School (7th grade - 8th grade)
High School (9th grade - 12th grade)
University (optional)

The divisions might differ depending on the school district. A small district might put all the children, from Kindergarten to 8th grade in one building.

Do I understand correctly that your "public schools" are actually the elite, private schools?

Nursery (below four years) Optional

Infants School- Registration year, 1st year, 2nd year (5-7 year olds) compulsory

Junior School Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6 (8-11 year olds) Compulsory

Secondary School

Year 7, Year 8, Year 9 (12-14 year olds) Compulsory
Years 10 and 11 (GCSE Qualification years, 15-16 year olds) Compulsory (could leave school and study at a College)

6th Form Years 12 and 13 (A-Level Qualification years 17-18 year olds) Optional (Sometimes attached to a school, sometimes a "College")

NO formal "Graduation" from School whether you leave at 16 or 18...you ONLY ever "Graduate" from a University.

University (Some College also do Degrees)

Mostly Three or Four year Undergraduate Courses resulting in a BA, BSC (Bachelor or Science, Bachelor of Arts) (18-21year olds, AND mature students that return to education at any age above 21) Optional. Results in undergraduate "Graduation"

The Oportunity to continue study for up to four further years including Phd or Masters Qualifications, again, optional, again resulting in a Post Graduate Graduation.

You may then return to anything from College level above.

Results of a Degree

First Class Degree (1.1)
Second Class, First Division (2.1)
Second Class, Second Division (2.2)
Third Class (3.0)
Forth Class (4.0)

Anything under 2.2 is not worth having :laugh: (I mean, as in Thirds and Forths) the lower the numerical value, the higher the accolade. a First is outstanding, a Forth is Shyte. I Graduated with an undergraduate Second Class Degree, First Division, with Honours, Reading Bachelor Of Arts Interdisciplinary Human Studies from Bradford University in 2003

Tyburn
07-27-2009, 11:50 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.05b8367e966aac56deaba75b69bc525 1.201&show_article=1

Have you heard about this?
The problem is...no one is dying from it yet :laugh:

My friend Martin thinks its a con. He thinks that swineflu is real, but will only kill the very old, very young, or ill to begin with, and in no larger numbers then any influenza outbreak. He says he thinks the companies supplying tamiflu anti viral, are hyping to make money...and that the Government is doing the same, the result being to throw the populas into panic, so they take days off work believeing that they are sick, they wont get paid sick leave...ergo...its saving businesses thousands of pounds on wages.

Until we have thousands of healthy individuals dying...which hasnt happened...then I'll nare believe it and take no notice of what they pretend they would do with bodies...its all nothing but hype.

key word is "Remote possibility" its so remote its not worth mentioning...but they mention it and add the word remote so the public think there is an issue and they are trying to play that issue down...

...and people think I'm Passive-aggressive and manipulative :laugh:

Play The Man
07-29-2009, 08:08 AM
The problem is...no one is dying from it yet :laugh:

My friend Martin thinks its a con. He thinks that swineflu is real, but will only kill the very old, very young, or ill to begin with, and in no larger numbers then any influenza outbreak. He says he thinks the companies supplying tamiflu anti viral, are hyping to make money...and that the Government is doing the same, the result being to throw the populas into panic, so they take days off work believeing that they are sick, they wont get paid sick leave...ergo...its saving businesses thousands of pounds on wages.

Until we have thousands of healthy individuals dying...which hasnt happened...then I'll nare believe it and take no notice of what they pretend they would do with bodies...its all nothing but hype.

key word is "Remote possibility" its so remote its not worth mentioning...but they mention it and add the word remote so the public think there is an issue and they are trying to play that issue down...

...and people think I'm Passive-aggressive and manipulative :laugh:

Tyburn, please don't listen to your friend. Please read up on the 1918 Spanish Flu. Estimates for that pandemic run as high as 100 million killed. I'm not saying that Swine Flu is going to be that deadly; however, I agree with the caution that is being exhibited.

TexasRN
07-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Tyburn, please don't listen to your friend. Please read up on the 1918 Spanish Flu. Estimates for that pandemic run as high as 100 million killed. I'm not saying that Swine Flu is going to be that deadly; however, I agree with the caution that is being exhibited.

I hate the panic that this kind of thing causes due to the media hype. It is possible to educate without scaring people. I will be getting the swine flu vaccine and regular flu vaccine when it comes out in the fall. First and foremost, my daughter has asthma. I will not put her in danger. Second, my client population is women with high risk pregnancies. That is the group who seem to be most vulnerable to severe complications and death from the H1N1 virus. If not for these two factors, I would skip the vaccine as I'm healthy and have a great immune system. Surviving any flu just boosts my immunity. I happen to believe that some illnesses are necessary to make us stronger. Everyone should weigh their risks and then make the decision on whether or not to have themselves and/or loved ones vaccinated. Don't buy into any hype or scare, just ask smart questions and be educated by real sources.

~Amy

Tyburn
07-29-2009, 04:23 PM
He's a Hospital Pharmacist :laugh:

Play The Man
07-29-2009, 06:03 PM
I hate the panic that this kind of thing causes due to the media hype. It is possible to educate without scaring people. I will be getting the swine flu vaccine and regular flu vaccine when it comes out in the fall. First and foremost, my daughter has asthma. I will not put her in danger. Second, my client population is women with high risk pregnancies. That is the group who seem to be most vulnerable to severe complications and death from the H1N1 virus. If not for these two factors, I would skip the vaccine as I'm healthy and have a great immune system. Surviving any flu just boosts my immunity. I happen to believe that some illnesses are necessary to make us stronger. Everyone should weigh their risks and then make the decision on whether or not to have themselves and/or loved ones vaccinated. Don't buy into any hype or scare, just ask smart questions and be educated by real sources.

~Amy

Your observations are true for most strains of Influenza; however, the 1918 Spanish Influenza strain was different. It provoked an intense immune response that put young, healthy patients into ARDS. The death rate for young patients was high. The movement of young soldiers during WWI helped spread it around the world. Scientists are spooked because that strain didn't behave like any other. Thankfully, the current Swine Flu isn't behaving like the Spanish Flu. If you had a "great immune system" during the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918, you would have likely died of ARDS.

Play The Man
07-29-2009, 06:08 PM
He's a Hospital Pharmacist :laugh:

I would bet your friend has a stash of Oseltamivir at home. If he doesn't, I would bet that if Swine Flu takes off he will sneak some pills for his personal use.:wink:

Play The Man
07-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Your observations are true for most strains of Influenza; however, the 1918 Spanish Influenza strain was different. It provoked an intense immune response that put young, healthy patients into ARDS. The death rate for young patients was high. The movement of young soldiers during WWI helped spread it around the world. Scientists are spooked because that strain didn't behave like any other. Thankfully, the current Swine Flu isn't behaving like the Spanish Flu. If you had a "great immune system" during the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918, you would have likely died of ARDS.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/ops/hsc-scen-3_pandemic-1918.htm

The male death rates in 1918 far exceed the female death rates among adults. One of the most unusual aspects of the Spanish flu was its ability to kill young adults. The reasons for this remain uncertain. In general the rate of death is highest for the very young and older persons. The 1918 pandemic followed a strikingly different pattern, with the highest mortality in young persons 25-30 years old. With the Spanish flu, mortality rates were high among healthy adults as well as the usual high-risk groups. The attack rate and mortality was highest among adults 20 to 50 years old. The severity of that virus has not been seen again in humans.

The reasons for this difference are still poorly understood. It is believed that a subset of victims experienced a primary viral pneumonia which caused a very rapid clinical decline and death. It is widely believed that cytokine storming [Immune-complexes-mediated pathogenesis] could be one of the mechanisms that resulted in damaging the lung tissue. Normally, when the lungs are under attack from a virus, T-cells, defenders from the immune system, are then sent to the site of the infection. The presence of T-cells initiate a second immune system attack by chemicals, known as cytokines, that cause inflammation. A cytokine is a small protein released by cells that has a specific effect on the interactions between cells, on communications between cells or on the behavior of cells. The cytokines includes the interleukins, lymphokines and cell signal molecules, such as the interferons, which trigger inflammation and respond to infections. When the lungs are infected with the flu virus, the T cells release chemical signals that cause them to stay longer in the lungs. The systemic symptoms of seasonal flu are caused by cytokine release, which is part of the human immune response.

A Cytokine storm [a systemic inflammatory response syndrome] -- immune system "friendly fire" -- is believed to be the underlying reason for the high death rate among young adults. It results when too many immune cells are in an endless loop of calling even more cytokines. During the flu infection the immune system has an "all hands on deck" attitude to the viral assault. More T cells are always arriving, and they in turn release more signal and stay longer, leading to a build up of T cells and chemical signals. The exaggerated immune response produces inflammatory molecules that lead to too many cells clogging up the airways and preventing efficient transfer of oxygen into the bloodstream. This Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome [ARDS] is what makes the Cytokine storm so deadly in pandemic flu. It is suggested that the high death rate among healthy young adults was due to their strong immune systems producing a cytokine storm. The very young and very old would have had weaker immune systems, and thus weaker immune responses that would not result in a cytokine storm.

This article is the first thing that popped up on an internet search. I could provide other references if interested.

Tyburn
07-30-2009, 12:05 PM
I would bet your friend has a stash of Oseltamivir at home. If he doesn't, I would bet that if Swine Flu takes off he will sneak some pills for his personal use.:wink:
I'm going to meet him this weekend. I show you a video...you can see him and hear him a little in it...he doesnt sound anything like me...you probably wont understand a word he says :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETFYnr9IT8Y

At the end of the day, Martin says he doesnt really know...it was just an interesting conspiracy theory I guess. Course he has to take it very seriously because he works around people who really would die of ANY flu

Play The Man
08-03-2009, 05:14 PM
What is Dundee cake?

How does a Brit pronounce the name "Ralph"?

Tyburn's answers passes 1,000 views - and you said nobody would be interested in your answers.

Tyburn
08-07-2009, 06:48 PM
What is Dundee cake?

How does a Brit pronounce the name "Ralph"?

Tyburn's answers passes 1,000 views - and you said nobody would be interested in your answers.
I have never heard of Dundee Cake...however, Dundee is a place in Scotland, so its probably some sort of scottishj concoction, they can be quite inventive to, if haggis is anything to go by :laugh:

Ralph tend to be pronounced "Rolf" or possibly "Ralf" :)

I promise I'll check this thread more often...now come on with more questions :frantics:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Does England rule Scotland and Ireland to?

Play The Man
08-07-2009, 07:06 PM
I have never heard of Dundee Cake...however, Dundee is a place in Scotland, so its probably some sort of scottishj concoction, they can be quite inventive to, if haggis is anything to go by :laugh:

Ralph tend to be pronounced "Rolf" or possibly "Ralf" :)

I promise I'll check this thread more often...now come on with more questions :frantics:

http://www.fraterslibertas.com/Images/War/churchilldv.jpg

I was watching a movie about Churchill, The Gathering Storm, and he kept requesting Dundee cake. In the movie, they pronounced the name "Ralph", as "Rafe", as in, rhymes with "safe". I have heard Ralph Fiennes pronounce his name that way also. We pronounce it "Rawlf"

How do you pronounce "Isaiah"?

Crisco
08-07-2009, 07:55 PM
If you had to classify people on this forum based on their personalities how would you do so? Be brutally honest or your answers mean shyte.

Do the following to start with:

County Mike

Preach

Crisco

RNC

Buzzard

Boomer

You have 12 hours to answer David. Don't be the weakest link.

Tyburn
08-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Does England rule Scotland and Ireland to?
England Rules Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland Officially through the Union. However, each on a local Government basis pretty much rule themselves. Ulster has a Provincial Government, Scotland has its own Government, and Wales has an "Assembly"

Both Wales and Scotland used to have Monarchs although Wales was pretty much obliterated prior to any unified England. However Wales did have jurisdiction for a while over the South West peninuslar of England. This is why The Shire of Cornwall have their own Gaelic Language...it is also why they have been wanting to assert their complete indepenance from England for Hundreds of years. Of Course Cornwall is quite small and its got next to no people living in it. Just a rocky cragg of coast and a few moors :ninja:

Scotland and England were at War for Centuries. The Scotish were finally felled When the Reformation was Complete and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The First died without Children. The Bizzare twist is that Officially Scotland won the war, for the Person who was the closest relative to Elizabeth, was the King of Scotland. The problem is that it was a tentative linke, and within forty years there was the abolishion of the Monarchy. There were various high powered barons in scotland, but only one crown. When the Crown returned, it was decreed that the Crown was "British" rather then English...but as the seat of Government and power remained in England and all Monarchs were born within English Boarders...its like Pretty much Still the English who run things...even though the Crown has essentially been Scotish eversince Elizabeth The First.

The King of Scotland once gave my Family a large proportion of middle eastern Scotland. Which became Crown Property during and after the Civil War (which led to two temporary periods of both a Republic and a Military Dictatorship) Thus the land was consumed by the Crown. MY LAND :sad: I am Scot Nobility by Blood Line. You know those Barons you see in Braveheart? Well my Family was one of them :) My Family Clan is also made reference to by Shakespear in "MacBeth" :laugh:

If I do not have Children, then our Branch of the family Tree will end completly upon my death. I am the only Male Heir of the family capable of Reproduction. (of course there are many Branches of the original Clan, but ours is set to end within this Century I would have thought :unsure-1: )

Tyburn
08-08-2009, 02:46 PM
http://www.fraterslibertas.com/Images/War/churchilldv.jpg

I was watching a movie about Churchill, The Gathering Storm, and he kept requesting Dundee cake. In the movie, they pronounced the name "Ralph", as "Rafe", as in, rhymes with "safe". I have heard Ralph Fiennes pronounce his name that way also. We pronounce it "Rawlf"

How do you pronounce "Isaiah"?
Eye-Zye-ah

Tyburn
08-08-2009, 02:48 PM
If you had to classify people on this forum based on their personalities how would you do so? Be brutally honest or your answers mean shyte.

Do the following to start with:

County Mike

Preach

Crisco

RNC

Buzzard

Boomer

You have 12 hours to answer David. Don't be the weakest link.
What Taxonomy am I supposed to use? :huh:

I would use the Myres-Briggs Personality Type Indicator. But I'd need you all to take a test for that :laugh:

Play The Man
08-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Eye-Zye-ah

Eye-Say-ah:tongue0011:

Play The Man
08-08-2009, 06:56 PM
What tourist destinations are going to be on Tyburn's grand tour of America?

Tyburn
08-09-2009, 02:57 AM
What tourist destinations are going to be on Tyburn's grand tour of America?
Tourist Destinations :huh:

Well I'm looking for a few in Chicago, and I've got a whole weekend set aside right at the end for Sightseeing in the Capital :w00t:

Play The Man
08-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Sorry, I don't know D.C. I am familiar with Chicagoland. What kinds of stuff are you looking to do when you are there?

Play The Man
08-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I have never heard of Dundee Cake...however, Dundee is a place in Scotland, so its probably some sort of scottishj concoction, they can be quite inventive to, if haggis is anything to go by.

I hate to engage in revisionist history but according to this BBC story, haggis was invented by the English.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8180791.stm

A haggis recipe was published in an English book almost two hundred years before any evidence of the dish in Scotland, a historian has claimed.

Historian Catherine Brown said she found references to the dish inside a 1615 book called The English Hus-Wife.

The title would pre-date Robert Burns' poem To A Haggis, which brought fame to the delicacy, by at least 171 years.

But former world champion haggis maker Robert Patrick insisted: "Nobody's going to believe it."

'Popular in England'

Ms Brown said the book by Gervase Markham indicated haggis was first eaten in England and subsequently popularised by the Scots.

The first mention she could find of Scottish haggis was in 1747.

Ms Brown told the BBC the author made it quite clear haggis was enjoyed by everyone, not just Scots.

She said: "It was popular in England until the middle of the 18th Century. Whatever happened in that period, the English decided they didn't like it and the Scots decided they did.

Tyburn
08-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Sorry, I don't know D.C. I am familiar with Chicagoland. What kinds of stuff are you looking to do when you are there?
I dont really know yet.

I remember flying into Chicago and seeing a very large lagoon. I saw that the city went right down to the very banks. I will stroll along that shore line I think at the first opportunity I get. I wont be in Chicago for very long at all anymore as plans have changed for that part of my tour slightly.

As for Washington. I shall simply see as much as I can of the Political Quarter of the city. I might go knock on the door of the White House and say Hello to Mr Obama :laugh: I will DEFINATELY visit National Cathedral....and I must see the Congress Building, I have to see with my own eyes how close it truely resembles Saint Paul's Cathedral. The buildings in pictures look shockingly similar in size and shape and with a dome also.

Tyburn
08-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I hate to engage in revisionist history but according to this BBC story, haggis was invented by the English.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8180791.stm

Its all balls I assure you. Haggis is Scotish. They eat it on burns night where they play "hunt the haggis" :laugh:

I ate it once at a burns night celebration organised by a Religious Group called "Koinonia" which is Greek for community. The all lived in a self regulated Kabbutz in West Acton. The Community outreach was called Koinonia and a group of students living in shared accomodation, but they were organised by "The Antioch Community" which owned like half of Acton. Rows and Rows of terraces all inhabited by this religious group, who...I'm NOT joking, live under a Kabbutz style life. They all pit their wages together as a community. Some of their group earn major bucks as Doctors and Lawyers and the likes.

The Antioch Community I discovered was part of "Sword of The Spirit" a Roman Catholic offshoot...but really, its so far away from Catholicism now, its a house church basically. They were so kind to me during my first year at Saint Paul's.

See a month after I started my anxiety symptoms returned. The community was in decay for various reasons...so I basically used Koinonia for my community experience in the first year. Then in the second year when the community was revived because Martin Warner got to pick the next influx, the focus shifted back to the Lay Community for community experience...of course between the two positions was the interesting political difficulties that me and the cathedral went through :ninja:

Play The Man
08-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I dont really know yet.

I remember flying into Chicago and seeing a very large lagoon. I saw that the city went right down to the very banks. I will stroll along that shore line I think at the first opportunity I get. I wont be in Chicago for very long at all anymore as plans have changed for that part of my tour slightly.

As for Washington. I shall simply see as much as I can of the Political Quarter of the city. I might go knock on the door of the White House and say Hello to Mr Obama :laugh: I will DEFINATELY visit National Cathedral....and I must see the Congress Building, I have to see with my own eyes how close it truely resembles Saint Paul's Cathedral. The buildings in pictures look shockingly similar in size and shape and with a dome also.

When are you going to be in Chicago?

Play The Man
08-10-2009, 07:24 AM
How do you end the alphabet? W . . . X . . . Y . . . and . . .?

Tyburn
08-12-2009, 11:15 PM
When are you going to be in Chicago?

From The Morning of The 20th September to the Afternoon of the 21st of September 2009 :)

I am coming in via Train. I have my Hotel Booked practically on the shoreline of that funny Lagoon.

Now...I do not know how I am getting from Chicago to Thomson yet. That is the only bit of the Tour missing. Its had to be re-planned because I had someone regrettably pull out on me. :( I was going to be driven from Chicago to Thomson, but thats not possible. There are not trains or busses that go that way.

So I have a few options

First Option: I get a cab from a-b (probably not a sensible idea as I think it might be further then it looks on a map

Second Option: Get a bus to a nearby town, and get a taxi from there to Thomson (probably the best idea)

Third option: get a bus to a nearby Town, and get collected by host from there (I am waiting on my host to see if this is a possibility...probably not because of work committments during the day...but I want to be sure before I book the last bit of the Journey

My one worry is...that they might not post me the tickets if I go by Bus...but I do have a host prior to Chicago that would probably aggree to get my tickets...just as I have a host in Davenport who has the tickets I need to get from Moline to Bloomsbury. So if they refuse to send the tickets to me, I get them to post it to Virginia where I can pick them up before I leave for Chicago.

Everything is perfectly under control. I'm a J, I plan meticulously. Why I already have a little display book with print outs of the maps I need to get from port of call to hotel and hotel to gymnasium etc

Tyburn
08-12-2009, 11:16 PM
How do you end the alphabet? W . . . X . . . Y . . . and . . .?
Z :blink:

Dont you :huh:

Play The Man
08-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Z :blink:

Dont you :huh:

I worded it poorly. How do you pronounce, Z?

Tyburn
08-12-2009, 11:51 PM
I worded it poorly. How do you pronounce, Z?
If its normal we call is "Zeeeeee" if its Captialized we call it "Zed"

:)

Play The Man
08-13-2009, 12:19 AM
From The Morning of The 20th September to the Afternoon of the 21st of September 2009 :)

I am coming in via Train. I have my Hotel Booked practically on the shoreline of that funny Lagoon.

Now...I do not know how I am getting from Chicago to Thomson yet. That is the only bit of the Tour missing. Its had to be re-planned because I had someone regrettably pull out on me. :( I was going to be driven from Chicago to Thomson, but thats not possible. There are not trains or busses that go that way.

So I have a few options

First Option: I get a cab from a-b (probably not a sensible idea as I think it might be further then it looks on a map

Second Option: Get a bus to a nearby town, and get a taxi from there to Thomson (probably the best idea)

Third option: get a bus to a nearby Town, and get collected by host from there (I am waiting on my host to see if this is a possibility...probably not because of work committments during the day...but I want to be sure before I book the last bit of the Journey

My one worry is...that they might not post me the tickets if I go by Bus...but I do have a host prior to Chicago that would probably aggree to get my tickets...just as I have a host in Davenport who has the tickets I need to get from Moline to Bloomsbury. So if they refuse to send the tickets to me, I get them to post it to Virginia where I can pick them up before I leave for Chicago.

Everything is perfectly under control. I'm a J, I plan meticulously. Why I already have a little display book with print outs of the maps I need to get from port of call to hotel and hotel to gymnasium etc

Not much time then. It looks like you will be too late for Ravinia. Probably your best bet is to stick around the lakefront: Buckingham Fountain, Millenium Park, Art Institute, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium. Perhaps you could go to the Sear's Tower - although, I heard that it isn't the Sear's Tower any longer. About one month ago a British company bought it and changed the name! You must have Chicago-style deep dish pizza when you are there. Lou Malnati's pizza is excellent and they have multiple locations in Chicago (one of the best birthday presents I ever received was a Lou Malnati's pizza sent to me on dry ice). Also, you need to try a Chicago-style hotdog, Italian beef sandwich, and a Polish Sausage. You might be a little early to see the leaves change in fall - too bad, it can be incredibly beautiful. Unfortunately a day isn't much time. If I were you I would go to the Art Institute and walk around the parks and the lakefront. There are some "English" pubs in Chicago. You should show up at one and show off your accent!

Play The Man
08-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Have you ever thought of moving to the U. S.?

Play The Man
08-15-2009, 07:04 PM

So I have a few options

You need this for your D.C. leg of the trip: http://store.randmcnally.com/product/us+maps/washington+dc/rand+mcnally+fabmap-+washington%2C+d.c.+mall.do?search=basic&keyword=fabmap&sortby=bestSellers&page=all and this for your Chicago leg of the trip: http://store.randmcnally.com/product/us+maps/illinois/rand+mcnally+fabmap-+chicago+magnificent+mile.do?search=basic&keyword=fabmap&sortby=bestSellers&page=all. They are very handy maps, almost like the silk escape maps used during WWII.

http://store.randmcnally.com/images/en_US/local/kickers/productgroup/header_map.jpg

Tyburn
08-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Not much time then. It looks like you will be too late for Ravinia. Probably your best bet is to stick around the lakefront: Buckingham Fountain, Millenium Park, Art Institute, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium. Perhaps you could go to the Sear's Tower - although, I heard that it isn't the Sear's Tower any longer. About one month ago a British company bought it and changed the name! You must have Chicago-style deep dish pizza when you are there. Lou Malnati's pizza is excellent and they have multiple locations in Chicago (one of the best birthday presents I ever received was a Lou Malnati's pizza sent to me on dry ice). Also, you need to try a Chicago-style hotdog, Italian beef sandwich, and a Polish Sausage. You might be a little early to see the leaves change in fall - too bad, it can be incredibly beautiful. Unfortunately a day isn't much time. If I were you I would go to the Art Institute and walk around the parks and the lakefront. There are some "English" pubs in Chicago. You should show up at one and show off your accent!

Actually I plan on eating only Taco Bell :ninja:

Tyburn
08-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Have you ever thought of moving to the U. S.?
Yes. But its never yet worked out :sad:

Play The Man
08-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Actually I plan on eating only Taco Bell :ninja:

Don't even joke like that. If you are serious, it would be a travesty!

Tyburn
08-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Don't even joke like that. If you are serious, it would be a travesty!
:unsure-1: but I LOVE taco bell...ever sinse Nathan Roasrio introduced me to their lamby beefy melty thing...we dont have Taco Bell in England. :mellow:

I've waited two years for this :laugh:

(I wont eat it ALL the time...just...some of the time :w00t: )

Play The Man
08-16-2009, 11:21 PM
:unsure-1: but I LOVE taco bell...ever sinse Nathan Roasrio introduced me to their lamby beefy melty thing...we dont have Taco Bell in England. :mellow:

I've waited two years for this :laugh:

(I wont eat it ALL the time...just...some of the time :w00t: )

Trust me, Chicago-style deep dish pizza, Chicago-style hot dogs, Italian Beef sandwiches and Polish Sausage are much better than Taco Bell. If you like Mexican food, any hole-in-the-wall Mexican place in Chicago would be better than Taco Bell. Eat Taco Bell in the airport or anywhere else in the country. Don't waste one of your precious meals in Chicago on Taco Bell.

Tyburn
08-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Trust me, Chicago-style deep dish pizza, Chicago-style hot dogs, Italian Beef sandwiches and Polish Sausage are much better than Taco Bell. If you like Mexican food, any hole-in-the-wall Mexican place in Chicago would be better than Taco Bell. Eat Taco Bell in the airport or anywhere else in the country. Don't waste one of your precious meals in Chicago on Taco Bell.
:) okay. I have absolutely no idea what I will eat to be honnest. All American Food tastes better to me.

You have to understand I suffer from something called "positive racism" when it comes to Americans. I cant help it...because in my experience its true. They really are bigger and better, and so is everything you experience over there from the food portions, to the price (which is better but not always bigger LOL) to the hospitality.

Play The Man
08-16-2009, 11:40 PM
:) okay. I have absolutely no idea what I will eat to be honnest. All American Food tastes better to me.

You have to understand I suffer from something called "positive racism" when it comes to Americans. I cant help it...because in my experience its true. They really are bigger and better, and so is everything you experience over there from the food portions, to the price (which is better but not always bigger LOL) to the hospitality.

Trust me. Try those foods and you will thank me. They will become your new favorites. The only problem is that they are high calorie so you can't have them too often.

MattHughesRocks
08-17-2009, 12:42 AM
I had the same exact problem when I was in England :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
08-17-2009, 12:43 AM

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-17-2009, 05:41 AM
What American accent do you find hardest and easiest to understand?

Play The Man
08-17-2009, 04:54 PM
What American accent do you find hardest and easiest to understand?

Kentucky Redbone, the thread is quite long but if you go back to post #73, Tyburn answers the question.

Tyburn
08-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Trust me. Try those foods and you will thank me. They will become your new favorites. The only problem is that they are high calorie so you can't have them too often.
:laugh: I'll try to get my hands on some, and be sure to let you know what I think :ashamed:

Tyburn
08-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I heard you the first time Michelle :laugh:

I think thats why you and me should get married. You love me because I am English, I love you because you are American. The rest kinda sorts itself out.

I PROMISE to wear my new Winkle-Pickers to the wedding :)

Questions Please :huh:

Play The Man
08-17-2009, 05:22 PM
I heard you the first time Michelle :laugh:

I think thats why you and me should get married. You love me because I am English, I love you because you are American. The rest kinda sorts itself out.

I PROMISE to wear my new Winkle-Pickers to the wedding :)

Questions Please :huh:

What is a "Winkle-Picker"?

Play The Man
08-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Have you ever been to a National Park in America? Do you have plans to visit one during your upcoming trip?

Twinsmama
08-17-2009, 06:54 PM

sounds like something you wear on a honeymoon not a wedding!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
08-18-2009, 07:09 AM
1) I cant understand the MALE southern Accent without concentrating. Met Preach once...we went out for dinner...I couldnt tell you what we talked about...I had to really concentrate to understand what he was saying...I told Nathan that and he said that Preach doesnt even have a strong southern accent :laugh:

However...I have no problem understand Denise....I might laugh at the way she sounds and pronounces words...It reminds me of the film 2001 mainiacs...there is a woman in that film who sounds just like Her :laugh:

So much so...I had the increadible urge to say "G'Baaaaaaaaah" everytime we went for a commercial break :laugh:

Also the accent that Jens Pulver speaks is sometimes a little bit difficult if I'm not concentrating...that might just be because he speaks extremely quickly

I have no trouble with East to west coast excluding south and north then I guess.

I'd have to do some research to tell you about the historical questions. I know the plantation in Northern Ireland didnt go very well, I know there was a terrible potatoe famine in the south. I know that Scotland for a long time had an independant Monarchy

Have you heard anybody from the Appalachians?

Tyburn
08-20-2009, 12:03 AM
A winkle-picker is a special type of shoe. The usual shoes are quite rectangular with a rounded almost semi circular end.

A winkle-picker pair is long and thin, it ends in almost a triangular point at the tip. They are usually very nice shoes and used for special occasions, or if work demands a high quality appearance.

At Work, only myself and Naz (the Deputy Checkout manager) wear Winkle-pickers. Although many apparently wear them out of work (thinking that work does not demand that level of shoe apparel)

Tyburn
08-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Have you ever been to a National Park in America? Do you have plans to visit one during your upcoming trip?
I dont believe I have.

I shall only be visiting one if it falls in downtown Washingto DC, Richmond Virginia, Downtown Chicago, The Quad Cities Iowa, or Saint Loius Missouri. I havent done sweeps for tourist destinations just yet :laugh:

Tyburn
08-20-2009, 12:06 AM
sounds like something you wear on a honeymoon not a wedding!
they are good to wear as dancing shoes :)

Tyburn
08-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Have you heard anybody from the Appalachians?
Not that I am aware of :unsure-1:

kevint13
08-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Why do people call going on vacation "going on holiday"?

Tyburn
08-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Why do people call going on vacation "going on holiday"?
:unsure-1: I dont know. We dont really use the word "Vacation" at all.

I would make a guess though that Holi-Day is a shorterned form for Holy-Day on which the person does not go to work. Therefore going on Holy-Day from work, would be, to be absent from work or "Vacate" ones place of work.

But thats just a guess. I actually dont know. :)

Play The Man
08-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Do they have Renaissance Fairs in England?

Play The Man
08-31-2009, 07:31 AM
Do you have an explanation for the British soccer hooligan phenomenon?

Tyburn
09-04-2009, 06:23 PM

:unsure-1: we have fairgrounds...like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXdyZ9z0Ul0 :w00t:

Tyburn
09-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Do you have an explanation for the British soccer hooligan phenomenon?
Depends which one you are talking about. Some matches, like a recent one involving millwall was it...where the fans streamed onto the pitch and stopped play about four times, and then there was like streetfights when one side lost...thats to do with club rivalry...the fans of certain clubs have history victories and defeats that make their coming together extra potent :ninja:

For example....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/programmes/2002/hooligans/diary/millwall.stm

:angry:

Tyburn
09-04-2009, 06:34 PM
4 August 2001
Millwall v Tottenham Hotspur
At 11.00am more than 100 Millwall hooligans travelled to an arranged meeting with the Tottenham "Yid Army" on Jamaica Road in Bermondsey. After vicious fighting, police reinforcements split the two groups. Police and ordinary fans again came under heavy and sustained attack from Millwall supporters near the New Den.
Hooligans from both clubs left the match ten minutes before the final whistle to continue their battle. At half past eight Tottenham hooligans returned to Bermondsey and attacked the Caulkers Pub. About 30 police officers and three police horses were injured during the day. One man was also taken to hospital with knife wounds.

19 August 2001
Birmingham City v Millwall
West Midlands Police mounted a huge operation after intelligence suggested Millwall hooligans were travelling in large numbers to take on the Birmingham City "Zulus". Under massive escort the Millwall group was escorted from New Street Station to the ground.

On the way back Birmingham City fans attempted to attack Millwall at the station. There were running battles with riot police, who also had to deal with the arrival of the Wolves hooligan group returning from their away match with Coventry.

21 August 2001
Millwall v Cardiff City
A potentially explosive mid-week fixture in the first round of the Worthington Cup. In the event only a few hundred Cardiff fans made the journey to London. Very few hooligans from Cardiff’s "Soul Crew" went to the Den.

However, after the game, young Millwall fans ran riot in the streets around the ground. Cars and shops were smashed and bricks and bottles were thrown at police long into the night.

25 August 2001
Millwall v Burnley
Just four days after the Cardiff game there was a repeat performance. Around 250 Millwall fans repeatedly attacked Burnley fans as they were escorted by police back to South Bermondsey Station. The hooligans fought with police for a further hour once the Burnley fans were gone.

20 October 2001
Millwall v Nottingham Forest
There was a major police operation to keep rival fans apart. Serious disorder broke out after the match as Millwall hooligans tried to attack Forest supporters on their way to the station.

31 October 2001
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Millwall
A large group of up to 250 Millwall hooligans burst through the police lines at Wolverhampton station. They attacked the Feathers Pub, near Molineux, where members of the Wolves "Subway Army" were drinking. Two Wolves hooligans were slashed in the face with Stanley knives. The groups were split up before the rest of the Wolves hooligans could arrive on the scene.

13 December 2001
Millwall v Portsmouth
Millwall supporters attacked a group of Portsmouth fans in the Windmill Pub near Waterloo Station. Eye-witnesses told how Portsmouth appeared to summon Millwall by mobile telephone. When Millwall arrived they attacked the pub with bottles, bricks and dustbin lids.

Portsmouth responded by throwing back everything they could lay their hands on. Every window of the pub was smashed while most of the furniture in the pub was either broken or ended up outside. Of the 100 people involved, all got away. After the match a Portsmouth supporter was brutally attacked outside the New Den.

10 January 2002
Millwall v Birmingham City
A half eaten pie was thrown at a linesman by Millwall fan.

26 January 2002
Millwall v Blackburn Rovers
A car clamper van targeted a line of Millwall supporters cars after being employed by a private local estate. When the fans returned to their vehicles the mood turned ugly and the police were called.

The clamper’s own vehicle was overturned and fans’ cars were released without fines being imposed. Police describe the clamper as either the "bravest or most stupid man alive".

9 February 2002
Nottingham Forest v Millwall
An unprecedented security operation was put in place to prevent Forest and Millwall hooligans from clashing in Nottingham. 270 police officers were deployed, 36 pubs were closed and the kick-off was moved to noon in a successful bid to stop any trouble.

About half of the Forest group were spotted drinking in Netherfield before kick-off. They boarded a train due to arrive in Nottingham at the same time as a train full of known Millwall hooligans. Police held the Millwall train back. After the game there was a stand-off between Forest and the police while Millwall were escorted to the train station.

9 March 2002
Portsmouth v Millwall
Kick-off was brought forward to noon in a bid to prevent trouble from breaking out. Before and after the match groups of fans tried to get at each other but were kept apart by a wall of police wearing riot helmets and wielding batons.

The two groups of hooligans taunted each other and threw missiles along Goldsmith Avenue and Frogmore Road. Goldsmith Avenue was closed to traffic and pubs were shut.

16 March 2002
Millwall v Sheffield Wednesday
Millwall hooligans attacked Sheffield Wednesday supporters as they left the ground. Police officers were hit with bricks and bottles and two needed hospital treatment.

5 April 2002
Millwall v Wolverhampton Wanderers
The Wolves hooligan group (the "Subway Army") arrived in Paddington and were spotted by two police officers. Their coach was escorted to the Den.

A huge policing operation (more than 300 officers) prevented the hooligan groups from clashing. Police were pelted with bricks, bottles and fireworks by Millwall fans attempting to get to the Wolves supporters.

2 May 2002
Millwall v Birmingham City
A total of 45 police officers were injured when trouble erupted after Millwall lost to Birmingham in the Divison One play-offs.

Police said a group of 900 Millwall fans spent an hour throwing missiles, including bricks, paving stones, a chisel, flares and fireworks at police. Two cars were also set alight.

A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said out of 36 mounted police officers, 24 were injured. Six officers required hospital treatment. Three police horses were also injured, two seriously.

A total of seven people were arrested.

Tyburn
09-04-2009, 06:40 PM
those are all quite old...but you get the idea.:mellow:

Play The Man
10-23-2009, 01:25 AM
What regional accent does the GEICO gecko have?

Crisco
10-23-2009, 09:29 PM
If I came to England would you want to hang out with me?

Tyburn
10-27-2009, 09:14 PM

:huh: I dont know...I've never heard of one of those...can you expound on them a bit :huh:

Tyburn
10-27-2009, 09:15 PM
What regional accent does the GEICO gecko have?

:blink: what :huh:

Tyburn
10-27-2009, 09:16 PM
If I came to England would you want to hang out with me?

:laugh: OF COURSE :w00t:

I even have a spare collapsable bed. You can stay at mine, and I show you around Harrogate, and Leeds, and Bradford, and York :)

Play The Man
10-27-2009, 10:51 PM
:blink: what :huh:

Please watch this YouTube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acCfnwTpdxU

Play The Man
10-27-2009, 11:09 PM
:huh: I dont know...I've never heard of one of those...can you expound on them a bit :huh:

This clip might give you the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF3FoCM6TR0

Technically this clip is about Medieval Times rather than the Renaissance, but you get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6-z7ZI750Q&feature=related

Play The Man
10-29-2009, 07:26 AM
:laugh: OF COURSE :w00t:

I even have a spare collapsable bed. You can stay at mine, and I show you around Harrogate, and Leeds, and Bradford, and York :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCqcMOB6STc&feature=related

This post brought this clip of "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" to mind. "Those aren't pillows!":laugh:

Play The Man
10-31-2009, 02:12 AM
What is a yob?

Neezar
10-31-2009, 02:16 AM
Dave, just how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootie pop?

Tyburn
11-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Please watch this YouTube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acCfnwTpdxU

London...half way to cockney

Tyburn
11-01-2009, 10:53 AM
This clip might give you the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF3FoCM6TR0

Technically this clip is about Medieval Times rather than the Renaissance, but you get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6-z7ZI750Q&feature=related

Well they do things like that in places where they have battle re-enactments. Lincoln Castle used to do a few a year at one time, you could try your hand at archery etc...but thats about as much as they exist

Here is Lincoln Castle during a re-enactment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFIR0PB1GoQ

Lincoln Castle holds a copy of The Magna Carte.

Tyburn
11-01-2009, 10:56 AM
What is a yob?

Yob is slang for a young law breaker or vandle, usually violent. You can apply the word Hooligan to the same cases, Hooligans are Yobs too :laugh:

Tyburn
11-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Dave, just how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootie pop?

:ninja: that would be telling :ninja:

Play The Man
11-02-2009, 12:12 AM
What is an "estate"?

bradwright
11-02-2009, 01:16 AM
what about Canada's questions....we have some things we would like to know as well.:ninja:

Play The Man
11-02-2009, 02:20 AM
what about Canada's questions....we have some things we would like to know as well.:ninja:

You could consider yourself a "North American".

Play The Man
11-02-2009, 02:23 AM

Just be sure to put an "'eh" at the the end of your question.:laugh:

Play The Man
11-02-2009, 02:25 AM
Are you celebrating Guy Fawke's night? Will you do a video blog about it?

Tyburn
11-27-2009, 07:49 PM
What is an "estate"?

In England an "Estate" is used to mean two different things.

For example the term can be applied to the Belongings of a recently Deceased person. Their House, Car, Monies, belongings, would be their Estate.

It can also be, and was first applied I think, to a large House, which is termed a Mansion. Mansions were for Rich People, usually of Noble Birth wright, and they would have outbuildings on the same plot of land. So for Example The Studly Royal Estate, is a group of Buildings I think a Mansion, A private Church and some Servant Quarters.

http://www.fountainsabbey.org.uk/ Will show you a bit about "Estate being used in that pragmatical basis.

Most often An Estate is used to describe a neighbourhood of houses that were built at the same time. Council Housing Estates for example, were big about twenty years ago. Many small houses all built on the edges of the cities. They are like very small districts and usually have a name. For Example, in Bradford, right outside the Laisteridge Lane Hall sof Residence site, lay "The Canterbury Estate" it wasnt a nice place to pass through.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/district/district_bradford/district_bradford_but/district_bradford_but_canterbury/3585496.Man_sets_fire_to_himself_on_Canterbury_est ate/

Tyburn
11-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Are you celebrating Guy Fawke's night? Will you do a video blog about it?

Sort of. Gone is the day when our Parents actually have a family fireworks thing, instead we generally go to an arrange display. In Harrogate we have taken to the display paid for by the council and hosted on the Stray. I included some info on it during my blog, for this year...but the display itself I captured last year (this year was too wet)

I hope you enjoy viewing

Fireworks Display 2008

Blog including Fireworks for 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cc4B05-nsE

I assume you know the History of the occasion :huh:

Tyburn
11-27-2009, 07:55 PM

ask away :)

Tyburn
11-27-2009, 08:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7eLQS4EmnY Because the Gunpowder plot has irkings of the Reformation some towns where protestants and catholics really hurt each other, actually arrange marches and stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7eLQS4EmnY

If you think about it, it came to pass right in the middle of a very turbulent point of British History

1509 Henry 8th begins the Reformation of the Protestant Church
1529 Reformation Parliament sits
1534 Dissolution of Monastic Catholicism
1547 Protestant Church continues under 9 year old King Edward
1553 Mary First reverses the Reformation and re-insitutes Roman Catholicsm
1558 Elizabeth First Restores the Reformation
1603 King James of Scotland inherits English Crown (yeah as in KJV of Bible)
1605 Gunpowder plot
1623 Spanish/English War
1625 Charles First (Married a Roman Catholic in first year of reign, Banished Long Parliament to save Buckingham (the author of the 1623 Spanish/English war)
1642 English Civil War begins
1649 Royalists looose Civil War, With Kings Execution
1649 Abolision of the British Monarchy, and the Instigation of "The Commonwealth Republic" by The Rump Parliament
1653 Oliver Cromwell dissolves The Rump Parliament, England falls under Martial Law, as Cromwell becomes Lord Protectorate (A Military Dictator)
He tries the three "Protectorate Parliaments" but just cant stand them, eventually he installs The Council of Officers.
1658 Richard Cromwell succeeds his Father
1659 The Army abandon Cromwell in favour of a Parliament, and he resigns
1660 Long Parliament restored by army, democratically ellects itself to dissolve :laugh: Convention Parliament begins and Restores Monarchy under Charles Second

Tyburn
11-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Soooo...the civil war never really lost the original King list...because Charles the second was the direct heir of Charles the first. Sooo the civil war IS NOT when Englands Monarchy became Germanic. THAT wasnt until Queen Victoria married Albert...and said all her Children should take HIS name and not Hers.

most people dont know that :)

Play The Man
11-29-2009, 05:43 AM
I would appreciate your thoughts on this article. http://www.steynonline.com/content/view/2661/26/

“Would it not be easier,” wrote Bertolt Brecht after the East German uprising in 1953, “for the government to dissolve the people and elect another?”

The thought has occurred to several governments over the years, and I don’t mean the dictatorships. Andrew Neather, a former speechwriter for Tony Blair, wrote a piece for the London Evening Standard the other day and, considering he’s one of those quintessentially slippery New Labour spinmeisters, it was disarmingly insouciant in its straightforwardness. When Labour came to power in 1997, the number of work permits issued each year quadrupled and immigration exploded. Mr Neather revealed that there was “a driving political purpose” behind this: “Mass immigration was the way that the UK Government was going to make the UK truly multicultural.” From Labour’s point of view, it would have the additional benefit of helping put the Conservatives out of sync with the times: As Mr Neather writes, “The policy was intended – even if this wasn’t its main purpose – to rub the Right’s nose in diversity and render their arguments out of date.” If the justification for US immigration is that we need foreigners to do “the jobs that Americans won’t do”, in the United Kingdom they need them to do the jobs that no-one in their right mind would hire a working-class Brit for: The imported workers would be engaged in fields that “certainly wouldn’t be taken by unemployed BNP voters from Barking or Burnley,” sneers Mr Neather. “Fascist au pair, anyone?”

The BNP is the British National Party, and yes, it is, broadly, fascist. But it barely existed until New Labour’s plan to “make the UK truly multicultural” got under way, and it certainly never had such a purchase on England’s white working class that the one major European power that never succumbed to ‘tween-wars fascism this year elected two BNP members to the European Parliament.

That’s the problem with dissolving the people and electing another: You’d have to be a genius to pull off such a transformation without any unintended consequences. If Blair’s game was to import cool new Labour voters and make the dead white males of the Tory Party look even more squaresville, he also wound up imposing huge and potentially fatal stresses on Britain’s fraying societal structure.

Take the recent observations of Anjem Choudary, Principal Lecturer of the London School of Shariah: “There is a spark that has ignited and its flame has become unstoppable,” he declared. “We find ourselves in the year 2009, waiting for Rome to fall, waiting for the White House to fall and indeed waiting for Buckingham Palace to fall.” Mr Choudary is a subject of the Crown but does not think of himself as such. His organization has demanded the Queen convert to Islam, wear a burka, and “stop playing God”. His website, Islam4UK, has many detailed illustrations of British landmarks after the introduction of Sharia: Buckingham Palace would be renamed “Buckingham Masjid” (or mosque) and have a dome fitted on top with speakers to call the faithful to prayer. It would be used as an Islamic court to issue punishments under Sharia, and also as a detention center for “prisoners of war”.

As it happens, Anjem Choudary is not an immigrant: He is British born and bred. But he is a testament to the “true multiculturalism” that New Labour prized so highly. For all but a few guilt-ridden middle-class liberals, “multiculturalism” is a nullity and those within its vapid bounds will seek their identity elsewhere. In a Britain with high Muslim immigration, high Muslim birth rates and high Muslim conversion rates, that means the host community winds up assimilating with the newcomers. In Surrey, the town of Sutton has just introduced female-only swimming sessions in the municipal pool for Muslim women. They’ll put blinds on the windows so no infidel men can see in, and the male lifeguards will be reassigned to other shifts. Might fall afoul of church-state separation in the US, but hey, what’s the big deal?

But why stop there? Azad Ali, the new advisor to the Crown Prosecution Service (the equivalent, more or less, of the US Attorneys), is a supporter of Abdullah Azzam, a key influence on Osama bin Laden, and a man who quotes approvingly such observations as “If I saw an American or British man wearing a soldier’s uniform inside Iraq I would kill him because that is my obligation.” Mr Ali’s appointment is part of the curious British strategy of “defusing” Islamic radicals by putting them all on the government payroll.

Even if one takes the view that arresting fellows for treason is awfully vulgar and a touch heavy-handed, it’s hard to see quite what benefit such chaps are to the United Kingdom. You can’t even say they contribute to “diversity” since such views are becoming distressingly ubiquitous. At a certain level, the idea of the muezzin issuing his call from Buckingham Palace is risible. But, after the Fall of Constantinople, it happened to what was then the largest Christian cathedral in the world. Is it really so fanciful to imagine the same thing happening in a country undergoing artificially induced, unprecedented demographic transformation?

The transparent ambition of an Anjem Choudary is less deluded than the blithe arrogance of an Andrew Neather. Combine them and toss in the likes of the British National Party, and you have the certainty of profound social convulsions in the years ahead. There'll always be an England? Ninety years ago, Bernard Shaw set his play Heartbreak House on the eve of the Great War among a British ruling class too smug and self-absorbed to see what was coming. “Do you think,” he wrote, “the laws of God will be suspended in favour of England because you were born in it?”

Tyburn
11-29-2009, 10:30 AM
I would appreciate your thoughts on this article. http://www.steynonline.com/content/view/2661/26/

Well, the British National Party is actually something that existed under another name twenty odd years earlier, called The National Front.

The rise of the BNP isnt just about immigration, its more a counter movement to how the Blair Government didnt listen to the people. The British Nationalist Party do what all racist groups do, they pick on an aspect and put it infront of a purely racist background. so first it was "asians and blacks stealing British jobs" they would insist that the British people should turn to them because they were losing out on employment options to people who were brought in by New Labour...but then the BNP took over on the cusp of two things.

Hate to say this guys, but the British Nationalist Party also played up on the British Governments collusion with the United States of America...they won a lot of support because the British Public did not want war with Iraq...and the Government chose to Listen to America and to ignore its own people...how do you think that made those who campaigned for a rightful referendum feel?

Well the BNP of course would never have listened to America over its own people...after all, Americans are foreigners too...WTF was the British Government doing playing AMERICAN foreign policy...and ignoring its own country?? and...they had a point...and its been since then that people have turned to them.

People are also apathetic about Government. They dont vote because what is the point when both parties are as bad as each other, and the third party can never hope to win? so the only people voting are those either passionate for a party OR those who have been enraged.

Europe...another sticking point. Europe had the United Kingdom Independance Party in for years...but they simply arent loud or angry enough. So people turned to the British National Party, and they got democratically ellected.

You watch next year when there is a General Ellection. This is the state of play, we've had three terms with a guy who did nothing but increase immigration and whose government keeps "losing" sensative personal data into the public realm. We've had the Prime Minister get into power in two of the lowest General Ellection turn outs in History, we've had him take us into whats seen by England as a War we never wanted to join, he avoided listening to the people, and did nothing but speak on behalf of a foreign power who wont treat us fairly...for example, refusal to turn up to hearings over friendly fire incidents, for example, we have to deport people to them for crimes committed in our country by our citizens...but they dont need to honour the return, we bacame black listed and hated in Europe, and the United Nations, and our soliders are dying for their war. Then after giving him the boot, we got an unellected prime minsiter who was incharge for ten whole years of the finances...and when the wall street wobble occures, we become the least prepared for it...and yet he's still allowing the fat cats of the banking world their big bonus every year since. Then there is Parliament, and the cash for peers scandle...did Tony Blair really make people peers because they paid him off? and what about the claims scandle? for the first time since the English Civil War, the speaker of the House has been thrown out of the Commons (then offered a comfy seat in the house of Lords...of course) meanwhile all the Ministers of Parliament are shown to have committed mass fraud claiming on tax payers money to cover their expenses.

Next year, I expect the British National Party will, for the first time, win seats in the House of Commons. They already have seats in local Government on councils and their numbers are rising yearly, they already have seats in the European Union. Now...Labour will pay for what it has done, or not done to the people, when they would rather vote in extremist, and those who insight violence....rather then professional politicians

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04vITkEAvYw :laugh: and you thought my videos were bad. :laugh:

Tyburn
12-16-2009, 08:15 PM
I their no more questions people :huh::unsure-1:

Play The Man
12-16-2009, 08:27 PM
If the Church of England ceased to be, would you (personally) become Roman Catholic or become part of a Protestant denomination (if so, which one)?

Tyburn
12-16-2009, 08:38 PM
If the Church of England ceased to be, would you (personally) become Roman Catholic or become part of a Protestant denomination (if so, which one)?

As you havent defined "Ceased to be" very well, let me go through a few scenarios.

Tommorow The Church of England has vanished

I would probably stick with some low church alternative like Methodists, or Presbyterian.

The Anglican Communion Falls apart

I'd remain Church of England, because the Denomination is much like England was to an Empire...just because the Empire dissapears, doesnt remove the original controller. So I'd just be a member of the Church of England as a singular entity.

The Church becomes Dis-established to the State.

This is about the only thing that would push me to Romanism. It matters to me that Church and State are together on this issue, and I know full well, IF this happens, and the Current ArchBishop even said he wouldnt care really, it would be at the behest of the Church, and not of the State...The Government simply doesnt care enough, and The Monarchy would not Abandon the Church...so its the Church that would be responsible, and I couldnt on the grounds of good conscience be involved or be under the pastoral care and guidence of a Heirachy that would do that to this Country and betray its Heratage dating back all the way to King Henry/Queen Elizabeth.

Then, Yes, I would be angry, and a low church would not do. I would want a High Church. I would go to Rome...but I would go under Benedicts New Apostolic Constitution that would allow me to keep part of Anglicanism alive, I would always substitue Her Majesty, for The Pope...because I dont and cant believe in Apostolic Succession, and you cant be a True Roman Catholic if you dont believe in that.

Play The Man
12-16-2009, 09:16 PM
As you havent defined "Ceased to be" very well, let me go through a few scenarios.

Tommorow The Church of England has vanished

I would probably stick with some low church alternative like Methodists, or Presbyterian.

The Anglican Communion Falls apart

I'd remain Church of England, because the Denomination is much like England was to an Empire...just because the Empire dissapears, doesnt remove the original controller. So I'd just be a member of the Church of England as a singular entity.

The Church becomes Dis-established to the State.

This is about the only thing that would push me to Romanism. It matters to me that Church and State are together on this issue, and I know full well, IF this happens, and the Current ArchBishop even said he wouldnt care really, it would be at the behest of the Church, and not of the State...The Government simply doesnt care enough, and The Monarchy would not Abandon the Church...so its the Church that would be responsible, and I couldnt on the grounds of good conscience be involved or be under the pastoral care and guidence of a Heirachy that would do that to this Country and betray its Heratage dating back all the way to King Henry/Queen Elizabeth.

Then, Yes, I would be angry, and a low church would not do. I would want a High Church. I would go to Rome...but I would go under Benedicts New Apostolic Constitution that would allow me to keep part of Anglicanism alive, I would always substitue Her Majesty, for The Pope...because I dont and cant believe in Apostolic Succession, and you cant be a True Roman Catholic if you dont believe in that.

Please further explain. It appears that your decision would depend upon how the COE "ceased to be". I'm confused.:blink:

Tyburn
12-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Please further explain. It appears that your decision would depend upon how the COE "ceased to be". I'm confused.:blink:

Yes it does matter.

The obvious flaw is the ceased to be bit. If the Church of England never existed then I cant answer your question because I dont know what my Christian Upbringing would have led to...so one has to assume its more about the Denomination collapsing, or ending...and how it does that would matter.

If it ends for some neutral reason, something like financial disastor, or something like a theological rift that breaks the denomination in two, staying with whats left of the denomination, or being content with something a little less spiritual would be best.

BUT

if the Anglican Church makes me angry, then staying with whats left of it becomes an issue for me because I become bitter. I then dont want to settle for something less spritual simply because ive been forced out by some badly behaved Clergy...and Rome is the only thing that offers the depth of ritual that I require in my spirituality. It would also serve as a nice parting gesture for a Church of badly behaved clergy, because Rome has always been a blatent Rival of theirs...and I would have to feel significantly wronged enough to warrent what ammounts to denominational treason.

Getting rid of the Queen would qualify, that would anger me enough to tell the Church of England where to put its book of common prayer. Why? Because the GOOD thing about the Queen is that she is OUTSIDE of the Church Politics, she is kinda like beyond all that, she doesnt directly influence and has nothing to do with the day to day running of things. She marks the passage of time, she is a continuity in an age of Change, she is perfectly symbolic and Distinct, like GOD is to the Church....The ArchBishop of Canterbury leads the Church, but the Queen is Defender Of The Faith. If you rid the Church of the Queen...you just have a top dog politician...and I know ALL about the evils of the politics that go on in Senior Cathedrals within this denomination...I cant be under that. I cant in good conscience...especially when the top dog has just ruined the whole foundation of the Denomination AND has blotted Christianity out of England, by ending about the only Tradition that ensures our Country has an arguable basis for not being secular.

Does that make sense?

TexasRN
12-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Oooh, Dave. You'd fit right into the Methodist church here in America. If you're here on a Sunday sometime, I'll take you myself!

~Amy

Play The Man
12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Yes it does matter.

The obvious flaw is the ceased to be bit. If the Church of England never existed then I cant answer your question because I dont know what my Christian Upbringing would have led to...so one has to assume its more about the Denomination collapsing, or ending...and how it does that would matter.

If it ends for some neutral reason, something like financial disastor, or something like a theological rift that breaks the denomination in two, staying with whats left of the denomination, or being content with something a little less spiritual would be best.

BUT

if the Anglican Church makes me angry, then staying with whats left of it becomes an issue for me because I become bitter. I then dont want to settle for something less spritual simply because ive been forced out by some badly behaved Clergy...and Rome is the only thing that offers the depth of ritual that I require in my spirituality. It would also serve as a nice parting gesture for a Church of badly behaved clergy, because Rome has always been a blatent Rival of theirs...and I would have to feel significantly wronged enough to warrent what ammounts to denominational treason.

Getting rid of the Queen would qualify, that would anger me enough to tell the Church of England where to put its book of common prayer. Why? Because the GOOD thing about the Queen is that she is OUTSIDE of the Church Politics, she is kinda like beyond all that, she doesnt directly influence and has nothing to do with the day to day running of things. She marks the passage of time, she is a continuity in an age of Change, she is perfectly symbolic and Distinct, like GOD is to the Church....The ArchBishop of Canterbury leads the Church, but the Queen is Defender Of The Faith. If you rid the Church of the Queen...you just have a top dog politician...and I know ALL about the evils of the politics that go on in Senior Cathedrals within this denomination...I cant be under that. I cant in good conscience...especially when the top dog has just ruined the whole foundation of the Denomination AND has blotted Christianity out of England, by ending about the only Tradition that ensures our Country has an arguable basis for not being secular.

Does that make sense?

Why did you say low church if the COE "vanished"?

Play The Man
12-22-2009, 08:37 AM
What is the role of the Thirty-Nine Articles in the modern COE?

KENTUCKYREDBONE
12-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Are Y'All really more docile and obedient to Government control than us Americans? Sometimes I think us Americans have lost our backbone!

Tyburn
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Why did you say low church if the COE "vanished"?

Well "low church" is not a denomination, its really a style...its what I was bought up in, but really I feel it plays second fiddle to High Church...if the Anglican Church vanished, the only real high church alternative would be the Roman Church...if I was pushed out, I wouldnt want to settle for second fiddle, whereas if it was a natural conclusion then I probably wouldnt mind

Tyburn
12-22-2009, 11:32 AM
What is the role of the Thirty-Nine Articles in the modern COE?

Almost nothing, because of the wide spectrum of Anglicanism now.

When Anglicanism was fighting Catholicism from The Reformation, through the Civil War, and to William of Orange, they were important as they distinguished Anglicanism from Catholicism, and other protestant denominations...Most Anglicans will never have read the articals :laugh:..and the majority would dissagree with the first drafting of the articals, which in some cases had more and in some drafts had less then 39.

I know that Priestly Vestments, on a Roman Cassok have 39 buttons (or 38 if some low church Anglican cuts off the button that applies to Mary :laugh:)

Tyburn
12-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Are Y'All really more docile and obedient to Government control than us Americans? Sometimes I think us Americans have lost our backbone!

We are able to get what we want, without threatening civil war if thats what you mean :laugh:

Generally you can get the Government to change its mind about a lot of things if you litterally speak out, publically against them. The House of Commons is not like your Congress, we dont sit around and play politics by exchanging pleasentries. We pretty much all speak at once, and our opposing parties absolutely grill and bollock each other for mistakes. They do not hold back....whereas in America, you wouldnt be seen dead interupting the President, or telling him in no uncertain terms that he's crap...well every week the Commons has a "Question Time" where they roast the Premier.

In a similar fashion, thats how the public change the Governments minds. You go to the press, and you shame them so much they are forced to change. A good example this last year was when the Government Refused to pay for the Normandy Veterans to go to the last Memorial in France before their association breaks up (due to the fact the vast majority are dead) The Newspapers came out with fierce rebukes, the TV Stations went round and interviewed all those Vets.

Less then a week later, suddenly The Government had found the money to pay for ALL Military Veterans to go to their Memorials for the whole year.

Westminster Abbey refused to hold a Ceremony to mark the end of the Veterans Association...so then the General Public turned on them...and within another week, the Abbey annouced it had reconsidered, and would now in hindsight like to do a Service of Thanksgiving.

There was also the day the Public forced the Monarchy into giving Princess Diana a State Funneral...which they had not planned on doing.

NEVER underestimate the power of Public Opinion

Here is a clip to show you what the Commons is like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZlrOTYGsw8

Listen to the way David speaks to Gordon....does anyone of your Ministers EVER talk so sincerely to your President?

"He asks about Administration, doesnt he understand that administration and liquidization are two different things? let me put it this way Administration is what his Governments in at the moment Liquidation is whats gonna happen by the British People at the next General Ellection"

Slightly worse then what your man said about Republicans and Health Care...and at least he wasnt aiming that directly at the President when he said it.

Play The Man
12-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Does your city have church bells that toll on the hour? Can you hear them from your flat?

Play The Man
12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Well "low church" is not a denomination, its really a style...its what I was bought up in, but really I feel it plays second fiddle to High Church...if the Anglican Church vanished, the only real high church alternative would be the Roman Church...if I was pushed out, I wouldnt want to settle for second fiddle, whereas if it was a natural conclusion then I probably wouldnt mind

Wouldn't the writings of the Council of Trent vs. the 5 solas of the Reformation be the paramount issue in your decision of what church to attend?

Tyburn
12-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Wouldn't the writings of the Council of Trent vs. the 5 solas of the Reformation be the paramount issue in your decision of what church to attend?

No :laugh:

Play The Man
12-23-2009, 10:54 PM
No :laugh:

It appears that you are arguing for Sola Fide in another thread. If you believe in Sola Fide, how could you compromise that belief by going to a church that doesn't teach or believe it?

Tyburn
12-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Does your city have church bells that toll on the hour? Can you hear them from your flat?

The Civic Church for our City is Saint Peters, I live within the parish, and I can hear the bells from my flat, but they dont mark the hour. The only Church I know which marks the hour, is the Church I go to, Called Christ Church on the Stray....its too far away to hear from my flat..its also extremely quiet, you cant even hear it from outside my parents house. You'd have to be in physical sight of the church and the wind in the right direction to hear it.

In Saint Paul's Cathedral they could turn the clock chime on and off. It marked the hour when switched on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vG-MsiAfg0

But from the Lay Community House in Waterloo, I could hear Big Ben strike the hour (Saint Stephen also marks the Quarter Hour in fact!) but the wind had to be in the right direction...and it wasnt a pleasent thing for me. My Room was on that side of the house, and I used to hear it most when I was in that state of being half awake and half asleep at night...it was a ghoulish sound to one who was living in a heightened state of fear and anxiety, it invaded my dreams and made them even more unpleasent...it was truely a sound carried by the wind, distant, cold, unclear, and I hated the sound at night. It was something I learned to filter out when I was on medication...I seemed to be suddenly less aware of it...but during those first few months, that bell haunted me, and I loathed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiKOhOzQyZg

In Lincoln, no church in our Area tolled the Hour, Saint Georges didnt even have a bell because the tower became unstable when I was young and it had to be taken down. The Cathedral rings though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlTBmi-PbhY

In Bradford, the Town Hall in the middle of Centenery Square used to mark every quarter hour, and when it got boared, it would, rather irritatingly start to play pop songs or something...all on the bells...very...bizzare. But you couldnt hear that from campus, much less the Halls of Residence even further out.

I once heard Durham Cathedral...but its a stupidly high pitched bell for the size of Cathedral...and rather...embarrising, I wanted to laugh.

Tyburn
12-23-2009, 11:14 PM
It appears that you are arguing for Sola Fide in another thread. If you believe in Sola Fide, how could you compromise that belief by going to a church that doesn't teach or believe it?

Because I dont allow the church I go to, to make a theological impact on me. I'm not sure half the anglicans would advocate Sola Fide anymore....also, the Roman Catholics are a lot less tough on their stance since they lost most of their power.

Blatently, I would include Sola Fida as one of the defining things under Benedicts Apostolic Consitution for the Anglicans...in the same way I'd choose to ignore Apostolic Succession.

I'd never been confirmed or baptized a Roman Catholic, I'd simply go along to one of their churches to enjoy the liturgy and the ritual that no other denomination can provide.

rockdawg21
12-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Do you hate Ginger Kids as much as I do?

Tyburn
12-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Do you hate Ginger Kids as much as I do?

No Comment :ninja:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
12-26-2009, 05:14 PM
What's your self defence laws like? I read awhile back about some Old Woman in England who was being harassed slapped one of her tormentors and she got arrested for it! Is that normal under your law?

Tyburn
12-26-2009, 11:13 PM
What's your self defence laws like? I read awhile back about some Old Woman in England who was being harassed slapped one of her tormentors and she got arrested for it! Is that normal under your law?

I doubt she got arrested just for a slap...BUT if you are attacked you will be accountable for any damage you do to the other person. You may not kill them (as happened to some farmer when several guys broke into his house, he shot one and killed one, and is doing a long stretch for murder and probably possession of a firearm :laugh: ) You may not cause your attacker serious harm, by this, we mean if you get burgled and you chase the robber out of the house and then beat him up so bad he suffers brain damage (as happened a few weeks ago, the attacker got off with parole/community service, the attacked got sent to prison)

You may not carry or use Firearms (cant have without liscence)
You may not carry or use Knives (although you can collect without liscence)
You may not carry or use Tazers (imports will not be permitted)
You may not carry or use pepper spray or mustard/tear gas

You may however use "Reasonable Force" to restrain, and make a "Citizens arrest" until such time as you can hand over custody to a member of the Police Force. (useful if it happens IN THE HOUSE, not so useful if it happens outside of your own property, for lack of resources)

The rules are slightly different for attacks on women...they can bite, scream, kick, and cry rape of course.

Certain Laws are suspended (ie not in opporation) within the Palace of Westminster, and probably within certain Royal Residences

Generally our Police have some kind of body armour, even if just Kevlar, Riot protection with shields can be used. They may also use Batons (as clubs) I have never heard of Sprays or Tazers, but I suspect Military Police and possibly Special Opporations will carry, but probably never use. British Transport Police may well be Armed, and I do mean properly armed. They almost always Carry small side arms, and in cases of security breaches, they may well be carrying sub machine guns...Saw a few of those in Waterloo Station for weeks after 7/7 London Bombings.

Embassies on Foregin Soil are treated under English Law...I dont know about Foreign Embassies on British Soil, Certainly at times in our histories other nations have had Embassy seiges where the British Police have seemingly attacked in some sence of the word, the embassy, though these have not been in a chase of the wanted, but more in the case of Hostage taking occuring within the Embassy itself.

If one commits a crime where one is arrested, they will almost certainly have to appear before a Crown Court Magistrate. Until such time, and it could be months, they are either released with or without bail depending on the severity of their petty crime...in serious cases, the trials are faster, and the person is not released on bail, but the time behind bars waiting for the trial is taken off the sentance immediately after sentancing takes place.

Failiure in such a court can mean the trial can be appealed, often this takes place at an appeals court. I believe they are not physically distinct to the crown court except in the overseeing of the particular trials. If this fails you may appeal to the Central Criminal Court. This Court is in London, there are two, one is in the City of Westminster near where Temple Bar used to be, the other one, is in The City of London, its called The Old Baily and is what remains of New Gate Prison, probably the most famous Prison in England outside of The Tower of London...neither of course incarcerate Criminals anymore. Trials of such severity are either originals that involve SERIOUS Crimes...for example, were the British to ever seize Mr Lee Murray, you can bet your bottom dollar, one of the other is the building in which he would Stand Trial. These are the kinds of trials or appeals the earn national interest and are covered by the press.

Now, should that fail (The top Crown Court) in theory there is a Higher Court through which one may appeal, its independant of the Crown, its called "The Supreme Court" and it was established last year...how that functions, I really dont know.

If the Supreme Court battle fails, you must venture to a International Court. of which their are two. The European Court of Appeals, and The European Court of Human Rights...I know nothing about either, suspect they are subsiduries of the same Court, like a Crown/Appeals court. If that fails...You're Screwed.

If the Crime is about/or committed against another country, then its up to The Government, in particular, The Cabinet Position of The Home Secretary, He will have a legal team of some discription, and he will be bartering with Extradition Legislation...like, for example, the case of the Aspurgers guy they want to ship to America :angry: (These things are "perogative" based, this means its a decision in which there is a standard BUT on ground as simple as mercy, that Standard can be Defied. The Treaties do not need to be equal or fair....For example, had an American (in America) broken into Ministry of Defence or Government Computers, the Americans would refuse to hand such a person over to face British Law...the Americans refuse to send Service Men across to represent The American Armed Forces when it comes down to Inquests (which are not legal Trials, but open-to-public on various degrees investigations) into Friendly Fire Accidents...two of which occured the week before Christmas against British Forces in Afghanistan...I dont know the Statistics of how many Friendly Fire incidents have involved British Troops killing Americans, But I tell you one thing...if it happened and the Government even proposed a refusal to send a representative to a non criminal procedure...the media and the people would go ballistic.

In England Life in prison is a set rate of approximately 25 years. Whatever the Sentance, expect the practical incarceration to be about Half specified at worst. Ergo, Life actually means about 13-14 years...now expect that to be halved IF good behaviour is ascertained. so...your looking about 7-8 years. The British System does no longer hold the Death Sentance, and has MAJOR issues in terms of Facilities for the detention of criminals.

In truth, to many prisoners, and not enough space to keep them all for extensive periods of time. First time offenders (and even multiples of petty crimes) are often only allocated Community Service. (this means supervised punishment through labour of a certain number of hours over a certain ammount of time) they can also be given a "Suspended Sentance" which I dont understand...Jail time...but not right after sentancing...GOD help us if its a bloody "Waiting for a Vacancy in Her Majesties Prison" but one cant help but wonder :unsure-1:

Firearms I believe may be collected With liscence, but NEVER carried, unorthorized posestion of a firearm is around 15 years (five in principle as ive explained :laugh:) Generally the distrubution is worse then mere possession, and with drugs and the likes its based on the proportion of substance found to determin what the person is doing with drugs which are themselves classified into bands (the more dangerous, the bigger the offense)

British Law is based on Common Law, which means it is open to change. A paper submitted to the Commons with different legislation in the majority of cases, can obliterate, or establish, new legislation so long as it is then supported in The House of Lords also. There was an attempt within my life time to bring back the death penalty, I dont think it got more then a discussion let alone a paper and a vote.

Under law, noone can be held indefinately without Trial, however under the Terrorism Legislation, a prisoner may be held without charge for 90 days, after which a Trial will begin, or he must be released...but other then suspected of being a terrorist, the charges need not be criminally defined for up to 90 days...and that was increased very recently from 45 I believe.

In an attempt to ease the whole process of Probabtion/Community Service/Prison, the Courts began in the last decade to hand out "Orders" one such for Minors was ASBO (Anti-Social Behaviour Orders) which insisted on curfews in order to try and split up youth gangs...they are largely considered an utter failiure.

Small Arms for sport is extremely rare now, although on their own properties some of the Nobility and Royals may do whatever they please. Rifles are permitted for sport, but the firearms remain on the premises. Fox hunting has been banned...and I think you probably need a liscence, and even to own the land, should you wish to hunt game, of which we have little due to geography, and of which to the best of my knowledge there is no limit on the amount you can kill)

There is also such thing as a Civil Court. In England these are usually of three types. They can be hosted by a law court, for the dissagreement or disbution of a contract, so a Divorce Court, for example, or a Claims Court for monies paid as compensation for accident or injury. In this case, Courts make rullings based on "Reasonable Doubt" which means that they are about who can create the best story...NOT who has scientific Proof.

The second type is Trade Unions and Industrial Tribunerals. These are bassically a way of taking a business to court in some way, shape or form. If its Trade Unions then the prosecution is en mass the employees. In an Industrial Tribuneral, it can be ONE single Employee against a whole insitution.

The third type is known as "Disciplinary or Grivience Procedures" These are courts run by the insitutions themselves over the employees.

It has recently be suggested that the Civil Courts impliment a portion of Sharia Law strictly dealing with civil activites, strictly for regulating Islamists in England...it was suggested and upheld by senior Judges...and the bloody ABC!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
12-28-2009, 12:44 AM
So in other words if someone breaks in my house I ain't supposed to hit them with a ball bat or anything else that may hurt them? If someone swings at me and I knock them out or bust their head would I go to Jail? Where I live if you are home and somebody breaks in on you can consider you life at risk and respond with deadly force. Its considered Self Defence! Actually in Kentucky if your life is threatened you can use lethal force to defend yourself as long as you are somewhere you have a right to be and doing nothing wrong! The exception being you can't legally use force against the Police while they are performing their duty! On the flip side I think that anytime a Law Officer pulls a weapon in the performance of their duty they must identify thierself as police! As for pepper spray,To the best of my knowledge any American Adult is allowed to own or carry it!

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 01:05 AM
1)So in other words if someone breaks in my house I ain't supposed to hit them with a ball bat or anything else that may hurt them?

2) If someone swings at me and I knock them out or bust their head would I go to Jail?

3) Where I live if you are home and somebody breaks in on you can consider you life at risk and respond with deadly force. Its considered Self Defence! Actually in Kentucky if your life is threatened you can use lethal force to defend yourself as long as you are somewhere you have a right to be and doing nothing wrong!

4) The exception being you can't legally use force against the Police while they are performing their duty!

5) On the flip side I think that anytime a Law Officer pulls a weapon in the performance of their duty they must identify thierself as police! As for pepper spray,To the best of my knowledge any American Adult is allowed to own or carry it!

1) well, you can, but lets just say, you had better be able to be prepared to proove in a court of law that what you did was "Reasonable Force" against a Criminal who may not consider what you did was "Reasonable Force"

2) well it depends what damage you do to them exactly. Its really if you do them permanent damage, or if they are damaged enough to claim an assult charge, or Grieveious Bodily Harm...I dont know if you even have those sort of things as crime in America.

Do Two wrongs make a right :huh:

3) if it was that simple, then the guy who shot Justin Eliers wouldnt be behind bars now would he. Even in America if you actually kill a criminal you still do need to proove that you were at risk. Short of killing someone in the middle of a firefight...I bet you find its not as easy to proove as it sounds in theory.

4) how ironic that its something that you guys seem to constantly threaten your Government with, if they dont do as you say. Because, if you have a civil uprising...who exactly is it, that you think you will have to fight first? It will be your own law enforcement, and if you make the slightest progress, it will be your own Military. You've just shown that the Law does not account for "patriots"

5) this is my main issue with the Oval Tube shooting. The Special Opporations were tailing a guy who looked nothing like a suspect they should have been trailing...and then according to them he jumpped the barrier...when CCTV footage shows that to be a lie, then he's supposed to be waring a thick bomber jacket in the middle of July, the type that could be a suicide vest, or hide a detonator...except, the photograph of his body shows him wearing a tight denim jacket.

Witnesses attest that the PLAIN CLOTHED police man, did not identify himself, and somehow the police think that its strange he ran. His running had nothing to do with being guilty, it had to do with running away from a gunman in a country where firearms are not permitted!

He tripped getting on the train...and the special opporations somehow took seven shots at point blank to the head before they were satisified he was dead.

Then they realized it was the wrong man :mellow:

Play The Man
12-28-2009, 01:55 AM
I recently bought a sterling silver baby gift from a company in England. When I completed the purchase I was pleasantly surprised to find I was given about a 15% discount. Apparently, the amount I was discounted was the amount of tax that people in the UK have to pay. What is your tax rate (%) on purchases? Is it really 15%?!?!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
12-28-2009, 08:07 AM
1) well, you can, but lets just say, you had better be able to be prepared to proove in a court of law that what you did was "Reasonable Force" against a Criminal who may not consider what you did was "Reasonable Force"

2) well it depends what damage you do to them exactly. Its really if you do them permanent damage, or if they are damaged enough to claim an assult charge, or Grieveious Bodily Harm...I dont know if you even have those sort of things as crime in America.

Do Two wrongs make a right :huh:

3) if it was that simple, then the guy who shot Justin Eliers wouldnt be behind bars now would he. Even in America if you actually kill a criminal you still do need to proove that you were at risk. Short of killing someone in the middle of a firefight...I bet you find its not as easy to proove as it sounds in theory.

4) how ironic that its something that you guys seem to constantly threaten your Government with, if they dont do as you say. Because, if you have a civil uprising...who exactly is it, that you think you will have to fight first? It will be your own law enforcement, and if you make the slightest progress, it will be your own Military. You've just shown that the Law does not account for "patriots"

5) this is my main issue with the Oval Tube shooting. The Special Opporations were tailing a guy who looked nothing like a suspect they should have been trailing...and then according to them he jumpped the barrier...when CCTV footage shows that to be a lie, then he's supposed to be waring a thick bomber jacket in the middle of July, the type that could be a suicide vest, or hide a detonator...except, the photograph of his body shows him wearing a tight denim jacket.

Witnesses attest that the PLAIN CLOTHED police man, did not identify himself, and somehow the police think that its strange he ran. His running had nothing to do with being guilty, it had to do with running away from a gunman in a country where firearms are not permitted!

He tripped getting on the train...and the special opporations somehow took seven shots at point blank to the head before they were satisified he was dead.

Then they realized it was the wrong man :mellow:

Over here some of the laws vary from state to state! But our last Governor signed a bill clarifying that you can use lethal force if necessary! Now of course you can't just go around killing Folks for no reason but in Kentucky USA at least you are in most cases allowed to defend yourself. Now that don't account for cases where some prosecutor may try and twist the facts in order to look tough on crime or some other reason!

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I recently bought a sterling silver baby gift from a company in England. When I completed the purchase I was pleasantly surprised to find I was given about a 15% discount. Apparently, the amount I was discounted was the amount of tax that people in the UK have to pay. What is your tax rate (%) on purchases? Is it really 15%?!?!

I have no idea what the level of Value Added Tax is because in England all prices are inclusive of tax.

This is what I found most confusing about America...the price of a cup of tea would be written at, say $1...but when you came to pay...they would charge you $1.20...when that first happened I got really confused, until they explained that in the US none of the prices include the tax.

For us, its just eaiser to state a higher price in the first place. I dont think VAT is very much to be honnest...but I really wouldnt know without research :laugh:

Play The Man
12-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I have no idea what the level of Value Added Tax is because in England all prices are inclusive of tax.

This is what I found most confusing about America...the price of a cup of tea would be written at, say $1...but when you came to pay...they would charge you $1.20...when that first happened I got really confused, until they explained that in the US none of the prices include the tax.

For us, its just eaiser to state a higher price in the first place. I dont think VAT is very much to be honnest...but I really wouldnt know without research :laugh:

Here is what I was told about my purchase:

As a customer from the USA, you will receive a refund of the UK Value Added Tax (VAT) – UK VAT is currently 15%

That tax rate on purchases is about 3-4 times what I pay in tax on purchases. You are being robbed!

Blade
12-28-2009, 05:13 PM

As a customer from the USA, you will receive a refund of the UK Value Added Tax (VAT) – UK VAT is currently 15%

That tax rate on purchases is about 3-4 times what I pay in tax on purchases. You are being robbed!

Actually UK VAT is usually 17.5%, but the government reduced it temporarily to 15% to try and give the economy a shot in the arm during the recession. It's due to go back up to 17.5% very soon. I told you, it sucks to be British.

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 06:03 PM

The cost of living in England is VERY High indeed. Everything is so cheap in America, so extremely and utterly cheap...I dont know what sort of council or income tax you pay...but for us thats extortionate also IMHO. The thing I resent the most about Tax is that effectively on income tax (and I only earn 11K per year) I still end up working nearly a whole week for free in every month :angry: If its not Income Tax, its National Insurance, if its not National Insurance its Council Tax, if its not Council Tax its a Pension fund of some sort or other.

do you know how much it costs to see a film at the local cinema in Harrogate? £7.70 when the dollar is strong like before the recession, that would be around the $14 mark. :sad:

Tyburn
12-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Actually UK VAT is usually 17.5%, but the government reduced it temporarily to 15% to try and give the economy a shot in the arm during the recession. It's due to go back up to 17.5% very soon. I told you, it sucks to be British.

:laugh: I thought things have been slightly cheaper then normal recently :laugh:

Play The Man
12-28-2009, 06:15 PM
The cost of living in England is VERY High indeed. Everything is so cheap in America, so extremely and utterly cheap...I dont know what sort of council or income tax you pay...but for us thats extortionate also IMHO. The thing I resent the most about Tax is that effectively on income tax (and I only earn 11K per year) I still end up working nearly a whole week for free in every month :angry: If its not Income Tax, its National Insurance, if its not National Insurance its Council Tax, if its not Council Tax its a Pension fund of some sort or other.

do you know how much it costs to see a film at the local cinema in Harrogate? £7.70 when the dollar is strong like before the recession, that would be around the $14 mark. :sad:

Our sales tax is between 4 and 5%. In America, people with low incomes essentially don't pay income tax. They pay payroll taxes (social security, Medicare) but below a certain amount, no income tax. We have a $1 cinema. The movies are a couple months old, but it is still only $1.

Tyburn
01-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Our sales tax is between 4 and 5%. In America, people with low incomes essentially don't pay income tax. They pay payroll taxes (social security, Medicare) but below a certain amount, no income tax. We have a $1 cinema. The movies are a couple months old, but it is still only $1.

:cry:

to avoid paying income tax, you either have to be a student, or unemployed.

We have no cheap cinema :cry: I have twelve free cinema trips a year because my parents provide vouchers as a christmas present :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
01-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Why do English people talk so bloody much?

Tyburn
01-01-2010, 10:12 PM

Because we have a lot to say :)

MattHughesRocks
01-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Every single one of ya? I want a better answer:mellow:

Because we have a lot to say :)

bradwright
01-01-2010, 10:15 PM

because evidently they cant afford to go to the cinema so they have to do something.:laugh:

Tyburn
01-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Every single one of ya? I want a better answer:mellow:

No...just me :mellow:

Tyburn
01-01-2010, 10:17 PM
because evidently they cant afford to go to the cinema so they have to do something.:laugh:

:angry:

Play The Man
01-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Have you ever eaten "figgy pudding"?

Tyburn
01-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Have you ever eaten "figgy pudding"?

:unsure-1: No. I dont like figs :laugh:

Play The Man
01-03-2010, 03:34 AM
Have you ever gone wassailing?

Neezar
01-03-2010, 03:37 AM
:unsure-1: No. I dont like figs :laugh:

What about Spotted Dick? Have you ever eaten Spotted Dick?

Tyburn
01-03-2010, 04:01 AM
Have you ever gone wassailing?

you mean like Carrolling?

Not in a very long time. I used to go visit a Residential Home and sing to all the deaf Seniors :laugh: and once I went with the church, but we didnt actually knock on doors, we just sang outside :)

Tyburn
01-03-2010, 04:03 AM
What about Spotted Dick? Have you ever eaten Spotted Dick?

:w00t: oh Yes :laugh:

Its like a sponge cake with currents or chocolate chips and its usually covered in toffee or custard, or both...also known as sticky toffee pudding...well they are the same sorta thing. :laugh:

but I usually go for Sorbet if I dont wanna dessert, or I go for Cheesecake...I cant resist...occasionally I go for a crumble...I gotta be in the mood for spotted dick :wink:

Play The Man
01-04-2010, 05:45 AM
What is a typical Christmas meal in England?

Do you eat any special foods or drink any special drinks for New Year's Eve?

DonnaMaria
01-04-2010, 10:49 PM
:w00t: oh Yes :laugh:

Its like a sponge cake with currents or chocolate chips and its usually covered in toffee or custard, or both...also known as sticky toffee pudding...well they are the same sorta thing. :laugh:

but I usually go for Sorbet if I dont wanna dessert, or I go for Cheesecake...I cant resist...occasionally I go for a crumble...I gotta be in the mood for spotted dick :wink:

:ashamed:*snort!*

Dave............I'm sorry........but that......was..........really.............

I just found that combination of words really funny. Really.....really........funny.:ashamed:

DonnaMaria
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Here is an honest questions......is there a regular kind of Dick that people eat in England?

I mean if there is a Spotted Dick.........is there a regular kind? As in......a regular Dick-kind-of dessert food?

This is truly a serious question.

And here is another question........why on earth is it called THAT in the first place?

Blade
01-04-2010, 10:53 PM
[/B][/SIZE]

I just found that combination of words really funny. Really.....really........funny.:ashamed:

I'm sure he does it on purpose sometimes ya know, lol.

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 12:04 AM
[/B][/SIZE]

you have a dirty mind :laugh:

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm sure he does it on purpose sometimes ya know, lol.

ahh dont get jealous :tongue0011:

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 12:06 AM
What is a typical Christmas meal in England?

Do you eat any special foods or drink any special drinks for New Year's Eve?

In England we have to have Turkey, and Brussels Sprouts...and parsnips :laugh:

As for the New Year...well there is mulled wine or hot toddy :laugh:

Tyburn
01-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Here is an honest questions......is there a regular kind of Dick that people eat in England?

I mean if there is a Spotted Dick.........is there a regular kind? As in......a regular Dick-kind-of dessert food?

This is truly a serious question.

And here is another question........why on earth is it called THAT in the first place?

Well in theory a regular dick would be a sponge without the currents or chocolate chips I suppose...but the spots are what make the dick...more delightful :laugh:

I dont know why it was called that...probably after the inventor...Dick is also a Male name. :blink:

I might name my Kid that "Dick Duff" has a nice ring to it :laugh: but then perhaps Dan Duff is better...that way he's bound to be picked on at school :laugh:

DonnaMaria
01-05-2010, 12:09 AM
you have a dirty mind :laugh:

maybe................maybe you are right...........

but it WAS a really funny group of words! You have to agree! It was like a line from "Are You Being Served?"

I loved that show! :laugh:

Blade
01-05-2010, 12:13 AM
ahh dont get jealous :tongue0011:

I'm not jealous of your Spotted Dick, I'd rather have the Horn of Plenty off the dessert menu anyway :tongue0011:

Play The Man
01-05-2010, 02:32 AM
In England we have to have Turkey, and Brussels Sprouts...and parsnips :laugh:

As for the New Year...well there is mulled wine or hot toddy :laugh:

Is it a New Year's Eve tradition to eat pickled herring? Don't you drink egg nog?

billwilliams70
01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Here's a question for you......I hate following long threads so this may have been addressed.

Just about every show that I watch with Brits, the Brit is usually kinda abrupt. Simon Cowell, Chef Gordon Ramsey, and some lady on a weight loss show.....are you all this way? Abrupt and brutally honest?

Later.

Neezar
01-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Here's a question for you......I hate following long threads so this may have been addressed.

Just about every show that I watch with Brits, the Brit is usually kinda abrupt. Simon Cowell, Chef Gordon Ramsey, and some lady on a weight loss show.....are you all this way? Abrupt and brutally honest?

Later.

I can answer that!

Abrupt, yes. Brutal, yes. Honest, no.