PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing for Independence Day?

Play The Man
07-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't have any exciting plans. I will fly the flag. I purchased a DVD of the HBO miniseries "John Adams" a few months ago at Costco; I will probably sit down and watch it while drinking a "Sam Adams" beer. Part of me wants to go to the beach and then watch fireworks, but I really don't like crowds so I doubt that will happen. I have a tiny, pocket-size, leather-bound copy of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution; I plan to read the documents again.

Rev
07-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Chillin' and grillin' with some church members and my wife and daughter. most likely end up in the yard shooting an archery contest with one or two of our members.

Tyburn
07-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't have any exciting plans. I will fly the flag. I purchased a DVD of the HBO miniseries "John Adams" a few months ago at Costco; I will probably sit down and watch it while drinking a "Sam Adams" beer. Part of me wants to go to the beach and then watch fireworks, but I really don't like crowds so I doubt that will happen. I have a tiny, pocket-size, leather-bound copy of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution; I plan to read the documents again.
Do you not fly the flag every day? Only, I thought that many of the American Houses are built with flag poles, and they all raise the flag in the morning and bring them down in the evening?

I'm not sure I should celebrate "Independance Day" I suppose thats Independance from England :huh: :laugh:

I always have my American flag up on my wall...in England we are not really allowed to fly our own flags much less the flags of other Nations...you'd have to gain council Planning Permission to put up a flag pole...which I doubt they would grant :mellow:

So I shall tell you what I will do. I shall wake up at 5am, and I shall be at work for 6am. I shall set up the department until 9.30am, then I shall have a fry-up for breakfast (I permit it on a Saturday only) then I shall work in the back from 10am until Noon. Then I shall go home for lunch. I shall make my self a hotchocolate, I shall sit on my computer and check Youtube, Myspace and the Forum. I shall be back at work by 1pm where I have the task of commanding the Army of Noobs that we have on a Saturday afternoon...they are a handful I can tell you, all far to young to take working a job seriously, I have no support since all the Key Collegues have gone home by then, and my manager is now on holiday for two weeks...the Senior Managers...dont mess with me...they find me...hard to handle :laugh: They generally tend to leave me to it until I leave at 3pm. I shall return home where I will check the computer again and perhaps watch a bit of TV. Then I shall go to be, and sleeep from about 4pm until 9pm. Then I shall rise and go on the computer again, perhaps watch a film, and remain awake until 3am, Then I shall sleep till 9am Sunday Morning, and be at Church for 10am...by which time Independance Day will be drawing Nigh in Hawaii.

:)

Play The Man
07-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Do you not fly the flag every day? Only, I thought that many of the American Houses are built with flag poles, and they all raise the flag in the morning and bring them down in the evening?

I'm not sure I should celebrate "Independance Day" I suppose thats Independance from England :huh: :laugh:

I always have my American flag up on my wall...in England we are not really allowed to fly our own flags much less the flags of other Nations...you'd have to gain council Planning Permission to put up a flag pole...which I doubt they would grant :mellow:

:)

No, I don't fly it daily. As a display of patriotism and gratitude I should. I do fly it on the major holidays. I don't have a flagpole. I mounted a bracket on the side of our house. The flagpole sits in the bracket. Perhaps that would be a suitable set-up for your situation. It takes just a few minutes to mount the bracket with woodscrews to a piece of wood, such as the trim on a window.

Tyburn
07-03-2009, 09:36 PM
No, I don't fly it daily. As a display of patriotism and gratitude I should. I do fly it on the major holidays. I don't have a flagpole. I mounted a bracket on the side of our house. The flagpole sits in the bracket. Perhaps that would be a suitable set-up for your situation. It takes just a few minutes to mount the bracket with woodscrews to a piece of wood, such as the trim on a window.
:laugh: We'd need planning permission to do that. HECK some councils demand that shops dissist from putting out little tripod stands, and that they are notified of Sky Dishes being roof mounted.

The bracket would be fine...until I decided to actually put up a flag...then people would probably think I was a member of the British National Party :unsure: Seriously...outside of a major football match...if you fly the flag, facism is the first thing on peoples mind...If I flew the union flag I would be declairing myself "British" but I think of myself as English...If i flew Saint Georges Cross, they'd say in this multicultural age, I should be flying Union.

You cant win...plus...I dont even know where I'd buy any British/English flag...I'd have to order it on line....I bought my American one in Wal-Mart...over here, ASDA dont stock flags...no market for them I dont suppose.

We dont even celebrate Saint Georges day by making it a Public Holiday...most British people wouldnt be able to tell you what date it falls upon...and in a few days time when 7/7 is upon us...after just four years...there will be NO MOMENTS SILENCE....now imagine if America forgot to commemorate 9/11 :mellow:

Why its acceptable in England to basically forget and not bother with such things...is a mystery to me...Noone can be arsed to vote in a General Ellection, not many are Royalists, we dont mark even recent tragic events...and I can only name THREE places in Harrogate that fly the flag...The Queens Hotel for Saint George, the Royal Mail distribution office for Union...and there is both outside the Harrogate International Conference Centre...at the same height as half the bloody United Nations :laugh:

Rev
07-03-2009, 09:39 PM
WOW! you need to come over to the force and leave the dark side. lol jk

TexasRN
07-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I am going to a river festival in the area during the day and then will probably go watch the fireworks at the fairgrounds tomorrow night.

~Amy

Play The Man
07-03-2009, 10:06 PM
:laugh: We'd need planning permission to do that. HECK some councils demand that shops dissist from putting out little tripod stands, and that they are notified of Sky Dishes being roof mounted.

The bracket would be fine...until I decided to actually put up a flag...then people would probably think I was a member of the British National Party :unsure: Seriously...outside of a major football match...if you fly the flag, facism is the first thing on peoples mind...If I flew the union flag I would be declairing myself "British" but I think of myself as English...If i flew Saint Georges Cross, they'd say in this multicultural age, I should be flying Union.

You cant win...plus...I dont even know where I'd buy any British/English flag...I'd have to order it on line....I bought my American one in Wal-Mart...over here, ASDA dont stock flags...no market for them I dont suppose.

We dont even celebrate Saint Georges day by making it a Public Holiday...most British people wouldnt be able to tell you what date it falls upon...and in a few days time when 7/7 is upon us...after just four years...there will be NO MOMENTS SILENCE....now imagine if America forgot to commemorate 9/11 :mellow:

Why its acceptable in England to basically forget and not bother with such things...is a mystery to me...Noone can be arsed to vote in a General Ellection, not many are Royalists, we dont mark even recent tragic events...and I can only name THREE places in Harrogate that fly the flag...The Queens Hotel for Saint George, the Royal Mail distribution office for Union...and there is both outside the Harrogate International Conference Centre...at the same height as half the bloody United Nations :laugh:

That is sad!:sad: Perhaps you could put stickers on your window or wear a flag lapel pin?

A relative of mine is a naval officer and due to construction on the naval base housing his family was briefly housed in civilian housing. The houses in the civilian neighborhood had strict rules about the appearance of the house including a prohibition on flags. My relative and his comrades didn't accept the rule and displayed the flag anyway. The property manager backed down and the flags were displayed without incident. Perhaps you need to display the flag to prove a point. I would bet that the majority of the people would be on your side. You could fly the flag of St. George and the Union Jack. Your small act of patriotism could set off a firestorm that could get rid of the silly rules . . . or it could get you a nice, hefty fine.:wink:

Tyburn
07-03-2009, 10:26 PM
That is sad!:sad: Perhaps you could put stickers on your window or wear a flag lapel pin?

A relative of mine is a naval officer and due to construction on the naval base housing his family was briefly housed in civilian housing. The houses in the civilian neighborhood had strict rules about the appearance of the house including a prohibition on flags. My relative and his comrades didn't accept the rule and displayed the flag anyway. The property manager backed down and the flags were displayed without incident. Perhaps you need to display the flag to prove a point. I would bet that the majority of the people would be on your side. You could fly the flag of St. George and the Union Jack. Your small act of patriotism could set off a firestorm that could get rid of the silly rules . . . or it could get you a nice, hefty fine.:wink:
:laugh: Cant stick stuff on the window glass because that will upset the Land Lord :laugh:

I never thought of a pin...that is permitted, even at work...what a GOOD idea! :ninja:

Primadawn
07-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Going to a parade, then a BBQ, then a festival on the town "green", then more BBQ...then fireworks!

And I fly the flag at my house every day! (unless the weather doesn't permit)

Play The Man
07-03-2009, 10:57 PM
:laugh: Cant stick stuff on the window glass because that will upset the Land Lord :laugh:

I never thought of a pin...that is permitted, even at work...what a GOOD idea! :ninja:

http://www.englandandstgeorge.co.uk/products.asp?catID=270

I made your life easier. St. George and Royal Standard lapel "badges" available at the link for 2.5 pounds each (does your computer keyboard have a "pound" money symbol over the number "4" like our keyboard has a "$"?)

Tyburn
07-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Going to a parade, then a BBQ, then a festival on the town "green", then more BBQ...then fireworks!

And I fly the flag at my house every day! (unless the weather doesn't permit)
I wish I could go with you :w00t:

Tyburn
07-03-2009, 11:19 PM
http://www.englandandstgeorge.co.uk/products.asp?catID=270

I made your life easier. St. George and Royal Standard lapel "badges" available at the link for 2.5 pounds each (does your computer keyboard have a "pound" money symbol over the number "4" like our keyboard has a "$"?)
No...we have the Dollar over the four....but we have the Stirling pound sign over the Three :laugh:

You mean they cost 2.50p :w00t:

I'll have to save up :rolleyes: :laugh: :happydancing:

lyndsey823
07-03-2009, 11:24 PM
i'm working! blah. oh well, gotta love the double time!

Play The Man
07-03-2009, 11:32 PM
No...we have the Dollar over the four....but we have the Stirling pound sign over the Three :laugh:

You mean they cost 2.50p :w00t:

I'll have to save up :rolleyes: :laugh: :happydancing:

We need a thread entitled "Tyburn answers Americans' questions about the UK"

Tyburn
07-03-2009, 11:58 PM
We need a thread entitled "Tyburn answers Americans' questions about the UK"
:laugh: not many Americans seem to have Questions for me though :laugh:

but fire away a thread if you can think of any questions :ninja:

Primadawn
07-04-2009, 02:23 AM
I wish I could go with you :w00t:

Me too!!!:happydancing:

atomdanger
07-04-2009, 03:18 AM
big azz family BBQ / Fireworks / explosions / party.

Tyburn
07-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Me too!!!:happydancing:
:laugh: we would have such fun :w00t:

rockdawg21
07-04-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm going to shoot a Saturn Missle at North Korea. At least, I'm trying to defend my country unlike our President. :cry:

logrus
07-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Its been raining all day, so no boating of cook outs. Mother nature is a whore sometimes, It went from 100 degrees to 60 degrees to all day rains.

que
07-04-2009, 07:36 PM
i'm gonna watch independance day

Play The Man
07-04-2009, 10:41 PM
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html

Here is a link to the Declaration of Independence. It only takes about 10 minutes to read.

Jonlion
07-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Well i awoke from Belton, Texas, after watching a Rodeo there, went to a grill house, hung round the lake and then drove to Arlinglinton and watched the Texas Rangers smash Tampa Bay!

Great Fireworks, great national anthem and a fly over.

Great day all in all for this Englishman!

Tyburn
07-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Well i awoke from Belton, Texas, after watching a Rodeo there, went to a grill house, hung round the lake and then drove to Arlinglinton and watched the Texas Rangers smash Tampa Bay!

Great Fireworks, great national anthem and a fly over.

Great day all in all for this Englishman!
So much for "mourning the loss of the american collonies" :angry:

:laugh:

Play The Man
07-06-2009, 07:38 AM

I ended up going to a beachside fireworks display. It was a great time. I watched the first 2 parts of the John Adams miniseries. It was excellent. Please do yourself a favor and put it on your Netflix list. I changed the beer to Red Stripe. Sorry, Sam.:ashamed:

VCURamFan
07-06-2009, 05:55 PM
I celebrated the American way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23r6EAdWO6w

Rev
07-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I celebrated the American way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23r6EAdWO6w
must be a Canadian.:wink: :rotfl:

VCURamFan
07-06-2009, 07:35 PM
must be a Canadian.:wink: :rotfl:Who, me? How dare you, sir!!!:punch: