PDA

View Full Version : Study: 1 in 4 South African men admit to rape

Play The Man
06-30-2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-06-19-voa25.cfm

More than a quarter of men surveyed in a study in South Africa said they had committed rape. Nearly half the respondents said they had raped more than once.

Nearly 28 percent of the men surveyed by the South African Medical Research Council said they had raped a woman or a girl, with nearly five percent saying they had done so in the past year.

Men also admitted to raping their partners, participating in gang-rapes, and some raped other men or boys. Nearly ten percent said their first experience of coercive sex was when they were ten or younger; and most raped for the first time before age 20.

This is a shocking statistic! I don't know how any country could have this level of depravity.:scared0015: It appears to be a legitimate study by the South African Medical Research Council. Are there any forum members from South Africa? Could this possibly be true?

rockdawg21
07-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Wow, that's just plain nuts!

Bonnie
07-01-2009, 03:33 AM
After reading about the war atrocities committed against women and children in certain areas of Africa, I believe it! It made me almost sick just reading about the manner of violence perpetrated against women, children and even babies. It's absolute evil! If you thought the chopping off of arms was horrendous (which I did/do), this is even beyond that. That men can do such things... It's almost beyond the mind's comprehension. :cry: I don't "understand" a human being doing the things I read about to another human being, but I realize and know he is obviously more than capable of such evil.

Crisco
07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
I hope there is a special place in hell for rapists.

Equipped with hot thick pokers.

Chuck
07-02-2009, 02:12 PM
After reading about the war atrocities committed against women and children in certain areas of Africa, I believe it! It made me almost sick just reading about the manner of violence perpetrated against women, children and even babies. It's absolute evil! If you thought the chopping off of arms was horrendous (which I did/do), this is even beyond that. That men can do such things... It's almost beyond the mind's comprehension. :cry: I don't "understand" a human being doing the things I read about to another human being, but I realize and know he is obviously more than capable of such evil.

Truer words have never been spoken........

NateR
07-02-2009, 03:20 PM
A statistic like that makes me wonder what the study defined as "rape." Having been in the Army for over 10 years, I've become a little cynical when a woman claims rape. Because you have to wonder if it was really rape or did she just have regrets the next morning and decide to absolve herself of all responsibility by claiming that she was raped?

Also were instances of statutory rape included in this statistic? Not all countries have the under-18 taboo, so I would consider a man having consentual sex with a 17-year-old girl as a very different crime from a man who attacked a woman and brutally raped her against her will.

The only verses in the Bible that I can find that seem to deal directly with rape are Deuteronomy 22: 23-29:
23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man's wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

25 But if out in the country a man happens to meet a girl pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26 Do nothing to the girl; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders his neighbor, 27 for the man found the girl out in the country, and though the betrothed girl screamed, there was no one to rescue her.

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

It looks like, according to the Bible, rape is only punished by death if the victim is married or engaged to be married. I find it interesting that, if a young, unbetrothed girl is raped then she has to essentially marry her rapist and live with him for the rest of her life. It just shows that sometimes GOD views these sins very differently that we do.

These are the first Bible verses that come to mind when we're on the topic of rape. If anyone knows of any others that deal directly with rape, not just general immorality, then please post them.

Bonnie
07-02-2009, 05:30 PM
How do we meld those verses from the bible regarding rape to what is happening today in these war torn countries like Africa, what happened in Bosnia?

It kills me, as a woman, to see cases of claimed rape turn out to be a lie. I feel that women who do this, and young girls too, should be held accountable. If they can't be jailed legally, then there should be countless hours of community service performed where she has to give public speeches on what she did and the irreparable harm she caused to her "victim". Women who do such things cause terrible pain and harm not only to the male victim falsely accused, but to those women who are true victims of the crime of rape.

I don't know how they gathered their #s for this study/report done on African males and the crime of rape in those countries. I am assuming that they defined rape as we normally think of rape as a "forced" act(s) by one or more person(s) upon another person. I'm sure you saw and heard a lot of things during your time in the Army, Nate, including false reports of rape. I'm going out on a limb here and assume you must have also heard of cases of true rape, soldier against soldier, or soldier against civilian.

Two and a half years ago I was doing some research on a surgery I had to have and came across a word "fistula". I wasn't sure what that was so I looked it up and came across numerous articles on women in war-torn areas of Africa sufferring from this. I started reading some of them and was horrified at how these women came to have these fistulas. It was a wonder that these women survived the violent trauma committed upon their physical person; and an even greater wonder at their inner strength to survive the emotional trauma and social ostracism (especially in these countries) created by having such a devastating injury. Some of these were articles of American medical doctors who were hearing reports of extremely high numbers of cases of fistulas in these war-torn African countries. They actually couldn't/didn't believe these numbers could be correct until they traveled there and saw for themselves what had happened to these women and children.

I guess I'm cynical too, about man (humankind) and what we are capable of doing to one another.

NateR
07-02-2009, 06:15 PM
How do we meld those verses from the bible regarding rape to what is happening today in these war torn countries like Africa, what happened in Bosnia?

It kills me, as a woman, to see cases of claimed rape turn out to be a lie. I feel that women who do this, and young girls too, should be held accountable. If they can't be jailed legally, then there should be countless hours of community service performed where she has to give public speeches on what she did and the irreparable harm she caused to her "victim". Women who do such things cause terrible pain and harm not only to the male victim falsely accused, but to those women who are true victims of the crime of rape.

I don't know how they gathered their #s for this study/report done on African males and the crime of rape in those countries. I am assuming that they defined rape as we normally think of rape as a "forced" act(s) by one or more person(s) upon another person. I'm sure you saw and heard a lot of things during your time in the Army, Nate, including false reports of rape. I'm going out on a limb here and assume you must have also heard of cases of true rape, soldier against soldier, or soldier against civilian.

Two and a half years ago I was doing some research on a surgery I had to have and came across a word "fistula". I wasn't sure what that was so I looked it up and came across numerous articles on women in war-torn areas of Africa sufferring from this. I started reading some of them and was horrified at how these women came to have these fistulas. It was a wonder that these women survived the violent trauma committed upon their physical person; and an even greater wonder at their inner strength to survive the emotional trauma and social ostracism (especially in these countries) created by having such a devastating injury. Some of these were articles of American medical doctors who were hearing reports of extremely high numbers of cases of fistulas in these war-torn African countries. They actually couldn't/didn't believe these numbers could be correct until they traveled there and saw for themselves what had happened to these women and children.

I guess I'm cynical too, about man (humankind) and what we are capable of doing to one another.

I've known a few guys who were falsely accused of rape. Unfortunately, when girls do that, it hurts the credibility of the true victims of rape. What's even more unfortunate is the situation is creates for men who are falsely accused. In America, people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but whenever a man is accused of any sort of sexual crime or misconduct, then he's guilty until proven guilty. As one local police officer put it, "if she says it, you did it."

I also know how easily these kind of statistics can be manipulated, especially when they don't publish their methods. For instance, in college we read of one poll that tried to claim that teen pregnancy rates were several times higher in the 1950s than they are today. However, what the poll writers didn't disclose was that the 1950s numbers included 18-19 year old married women in their teen pregnancy statistics. Thus giving a completely skewed view of reality.

Again, rape is a horrible crime that can scar a person for life, however we can't blame all men for the despicable actions of a few.

bj44
07-02-2009, 06:41 PM
thing is south africa isnt exactly third world either

Bonnie
07-02-2009, 07:05 PM
I've known a few guys who were falsely accused of rape. Unfortunately, when girls do that, it hurts the credibility of the true victims of rape. What's even more unfortunate is the situation is creates for men who are falsely accused. In America, people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but whenever a man is accused of any sort of sexual crime or misconduct, then he's guilty until proven guilty. As one local police officer put it, "if she says it, you did it."

I also know how easily these kind of statistics can be manipulated, especially when they don't publish their methods. For instance, in college we read of one poll that tried to claim that teen pregnancy rates were several times higher in the 1950s than they are today. However, what the poll writers didn't disclose was that the 1950s numbers included 18-19 year old married women in their teen pregnancy statistics. Thus giving a completely skewed view of reality.

Again, rape is a horrible crime that can scar a person for life, however we can't blame all men for the despicable actions of a few.

Hmmm....I think we're having a "Man is from Mars and Women are from Venus" moment, Nathan. :laugh: Sorta.... :wink: You say, "What's even more unfortunate...for men..." like what they (men) suffer is greater than what a woman suffers who has been raped. It is very very unfortunate what a man goes through who is falsely accused of rape. I'm not discounting the stigma and label he suffers until, and even after, it's proven he is innocent. I would say that in a way these men have been "raped" too. As I said in my earlier post this type of thing should have severe consequences for the false accuser for the very fact of the extreme and often lingering stigma that dogs the innocent man falsely accused and for the harm done to true rape victims. Both are victims in each respective case, both emotionally traumatized and scarred, but for the person physically raped it is more. So, I guess we'll have to "agree to disagree" on the vantage point from which we look at this particular issue. On that note, I'm going to end with some wise words (with a few changes :laugh: ) from someone I've come to respect very much since joining this great place:

Again, false accusations of rape is horrible and can scar a person for life, however we can't blame all women for the despicable actions of a few. :)

TexasRN
07-02-2009, 10:20 PM
There is a high incidence of HIV in Africa and a common ridiulous belief that having sex with a virgin will cure it. That is one reason for the high numbers of rape cases.

~Amy

Bonnie
07-03-2009, 03:24 AM
There is a high incidence of HIV in Africa and a common ridiulous belief that having sex with a virgin will cure it. That is one reason for the high numbers of rape cases.

~Amy

I guess it hasn't entered the dumbasses' (or should I say dumbwieners) minds to stop literally spreading it around. Noooooo, they then rape virgins to "cure" themselves. :rolleyes: I'd say a bullet to the head would cure this problem, but then that brings up the ?: Which head to shoot first. :Whistle:

Hughes_GOAT
07-03-2009, 03:31 AM
no surprise. i've read a lot on SA and this is common knowledge.

BigShoe
07-03-2009, 05:47 PM

This is my first post. I have read on here for a long time and been a fan of Matt and of MMA for about 2 years now. I am a missionary in Africa. I am in West Africa, in a country called Burkina Faso.

I have friends in South Africa. It isn't considered third world because their big cities are well advanced but much of the country would be no different than any other third world country(very poor and very backward). I am not shocked with the numbers of rapes as that happens where we are at.

Their superstition that states that AIDS is cured by a virgin is a real belief to them. We don't have that where I am at but with some of their superstitions that they have here, I can see where that would be a hard belief to break. For example, one superstition that I can't break, even in my own church, is that ice water gives you a cold. Every time I have a cold, they tell me to stop drinking ice water. They have as many colds as I do when they drink no ice water.

Anyhow, Africa has advanced in many areas but they are still attached to their traditions and system of beliefs. I really don't battle their traditions except where they go against God and the Bible.

Tyburn
07-03-2009, 06:47 PM
that completely depends on how you look at it.

Its a country of extremes...and its a most troubled Nation that has a lot of history centred on division and hatred :unsure-1:

TexasRN
07-03-2009, 08:52 PM
This is my first post. I have read on here for a long time and been a fan of Matt and of MMA for about 2 years now. I am a missionary in Africa. I am in West Africa, in a country called Burkina Faso.

I have friends in South Africa. It isn't considered third world because their big cities are well advanced but much of the country would be no different than any other third world country(very poor and very backward). I am not shocked with the numbers of rapes as that happens where we are at.

Their superstition that states that AIDS is cured by a virgin is a real belief to them. We don't have that where I am at but with some of their superstitions that they have here, I can see where that would be a hard belief to break. For example, one superstition that I can't break, even in my own church, is that ice water gives you a cold. Every time I have a cold, they tell me to stop drinking ice water. They have as many colds as I do when they drink no ice water.

Anyhow, Africa has advanced in many areas but they are still attached to their traditions and system of beliefs. I really don't battle their traditions except where they go against God and the Bible.

I find that it's best to operate this way when working with those from cultures other than my own. If it is not going to harm them, I am all for supporting their belief system and it generally helps them trust me at a time when they feel very vulnerable. (I'm a nurse, obviously.)

Welcome to the forums BigShoe. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences!

~Amy