PDA

View Full Version : Watch out HW divison.....

CBCS
06-29-2009, 08:49 PM
There is an up and coming Gracie in the HW division and his Jiu Jitsu is out of control. Roger Gracie will be fighting Aug 15th with Strikeforce. He is currently 2-0. I'm exicited about watching him fight. If he can get you on the ground....your done.

rockdawg21
06-29-2009, 08:52 PM
There is an up and coming Gracie in the HW division and his Jiu Jitsu is out of control. Roger Gracie will be fighting Aug 15th with Strikeforce. He is currently 2-0. I'm exicited about watching him fight. If he can get you on the ground....your done.
What was it that Hughes said once? I think it was something like, "Jiu Jitsu doesn't stop a punch to the face." :laugh:

Crisco
06-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Roger is a threat to anyone.

Especially in the long run when he becomes a more well rounded fighter.

Being good at jitz doesn't make you an MMA champion though. You need to be good at MMA.
I'm curious to see how he performs and will definately be excited to watch.

Miss Foxy
06-29-2009, 09:44 PM
What was it that Hughes said once? I think it was something like, "Jiu Jitsu doesn't stop a punch to the face." :laugh:
Ooohh I love it!!!!!! Yup!!

surveyorshawn
06-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Roger is very tough. He competed at the Pan Ams & beat people over & over with the same thing...even when they saw it coming, they couldn't stop it. Not sure how he is at striking, but if he can get that down, he will definitely be a force

Hughes_GOAT
06-30-2009, 01:22 AM
he's got the best Jitz in MMA. other than that, not much else, like most Gracie's.

Jason 16
06-30-2009, 01:33 AM

well that worked for bignog

atomdanger
06-30-2009, 02:47 AM
I am not sold on Roger.

He needs to prove he is dangerous while taking a punch.
I I know he has won ADCC, but he really LOVES the gi,
and is almost 30 and never trained for mma. It will be interesting.

Jason 16
06-30-2009, 04:54 AM
I am not sold on Roger.

He needs to prove he is dangerous while taking a punch.
I I know he has won ADCC, but he really LOVES the gi,
and is almost 30 and never trained for mma. It will be interesting.

Ive heard his name before but thats about it

atomdanger
06-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Ive heard his name before but thats about it

He is 2 - 0 in MMA, in the last 3 years.
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/roger-gracie-19854

He just doesn't have the more agressive BJJ as Maia, or Galvao.
He is sort of boring in the BJJ world, to a lot of people,
and I don't think his relaxed sit and wait style will translate well to MMA.
But I could be wrong, who knows, he could end up beating Fedor. (ok, not that)

rockdawg21
06-30-2009, 12:20 PM
He is 2 - 0 in MMA, in the last 3 years.
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/roger-gracie-19854

He just doesn't have the more agressive BJJ as Maia, or Galvao.
He is sort of boring in the BJJ world, to a lot of people,
and I don't think his relaxed sit and wait style will translate well to MMA.
But I could be wrong, who knows, he could end up beating Fedor. (ok, not that)
Sounds very Gracie-like. Even Royce wasn't very aggressive back in those days, he was willing to exchange a bit.

VCURamFan
06-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Sounds very Gracie-like. Even Royce wasn't very aggressive back in those days, he was willing to exchange a bit.Yeah, I'm not really expecting too much from this guy. I'd love to be proved wrong, 'cause I love watching Maia pretzel the crap outta guys, but I'm not expecting Roger to blow anyone's mind.

EDIT: 3,000th post!!

Crisco
06-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I'm not really expecting too much from this guy. I'd love to be proved wrong, 'cause I love watching Maia pretzel the crap outta guys, but I'm not expecting Roger to blow anyone's mind.

EDIT: 3,000th post!!

post whore

VCURamFan
06-30-2009, 06:45 PM
post whoreO, but of course!:laugh:

atomdanger
06-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Sounds very Gracie-like. Even Royce wasn't very aggressive back in those days, he was willing to exchange a bit.

Well, other guys like Rickson have really aggressive styles,
but I just don't think Roger is one of them.

His mom is a Gracie, and his dad is not, he wanted the more recognizable last name,
so he took his moms maiden name.

VCURamFan
06-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, other guys like Rickson have really aggressive styles,
but I just don't think Roger is one of them.

His mom is a Gracie, and his dad is not, he wanted the more recognizable last name,
so he took his moms maiden name.How do the "real" Gracies view him? Do they care at all about him sliding in like that?

Chuck
06-30-2009, 09:41 PM
he's got the best Jitz in MMA. other than that, not much else, like most Gracie's.

How do you come to that conclusion if he's only had 2 MMA fights? Educate me bro, I don't know much about him.....

Hughes_GOAT
07-01-2009, 01:53 AM
How do you come to that conclusion if he's only had 2 MMA fights? Educate me bro, I don't know much about him.....
he has the best outside of MMA, so i see it transitioning well into MMA, much like Maia, who he's beaten in JJ.

atomdanger
07-01-2009, 02:21 AM
he has the best outside of MMA, so i see it transitioning well into MMA, much like Maia, who he's beaten in JJ.

Roger isn't unbeaten in BJJ

atomdanger
07-01-2009, 02:23 AM
How do the "real" Gracies view him? Do they care at all about him sliding in like that?

I am not sure.
I know he is part of the Gracie Barra family.

Carlos Gracie Jr runs Gracie Barra, or founded it.

So, I guess he doesn't care, Roger is a big winner / name for his team.

Hughes_GOAT
07-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Roger isn't unbeaten in BJJ
didn't say he was

Chuck
07-02-2009, 02:19 PM

Gotcha.... I know there is a difference between wrestling and MMA wrestling which led me to think....

Does he do gi and no gi bjj? I've seen some others who were supposed to be amazing with their BJJ not make the transition to MMA very well...

Hughes_GOAT
07-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Gotcha.... I know there is a difference between wrestling and MMA wrestling which led me to think....

Does he do gi and no gi bjj? I've seen some others who were supposed to be amazing with their BJJ not make the transition to MMA very well...
he does both.

Chuck
07-03-2009, 03:59 AM
he does both.

Cool...