PDA

View Full Version : Gaming computer?

Crisco
06-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Anyone have any advice? I'm shopping right now and can't narrow down...

I have a dell xps 400 with 4 gigs of ram, an Intel 2.8 and I have a Geforce 6800 256 gig.

I'm not very techy to be honest but I love me a good pc game.

I'm thinking if I upgrade the proccessor and the video card I might be ok for a while.

Lately I'm scared to buy anything because I can't keep up wit the specs anymore. I just bought GTA 4 and forget to look at the requirments because for awhile I was never worried. Now it's a different story.

What are your thoughts?

logrus
06-29-2009, 06:57 PM

I have a dell xps 400 with 4 gigs of ram, an Intel 2.8 and I have a Geforce 6800 256 gig.

I'm thinking if I upgrade the proccessor and the video card I might be ok for a while.

Lately I'm scared to buy anything because I can't keep up wit the specs anymore. I just bought GTA 4 and forget to look at the requirments because for awhile I was never worried. Now it's a different story.

What are your thoughts?

Well 4 gigs is great for Ram, the question lies in your processor. The speed of the processor is fine, I am curious is it a Pentium 4, or just a regular Pentium, or is it a duo or Quad. Your video card is over the top outdated by the way lol. Also I believe the 6 series Graphics card you have is an AGP which seems to becoming phased out, most went over to a PCI Express set up.

The problem with computers is once you upgrade one aspect you have to upgrade everything else. A new processor means a new motherboard in most cases which means new ram since your ram might not be compatible. You can shop around and find stuff that is compatible, but once it goes down the road it will be even harder to find what you need to fix it. Eventually it just leads to a huge cash sink hole.

What ya willing to spend and what you looking for and I could spec you something

Crisco
06-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Well 4 gigs is great for Ram, the question lies in your processor. The speed of the processor is fine, I am curious is it a Pentium 4, or just a regular Pentium, or is it a duo or Quad. Your video card is over the top outdated by the way lol. Also I believe the 6 series Graphics card you have is an AGP which seems to becoming phased out, most went over to a PCI Express set up.

The problem with computers is once you upgrade one aspect you have to upgrade everything else. A new processor means a new motherboard in most cases which means new ram since your ram might not be compatible. You can shop around and find stuff that is compatible, but once it goes down the road it will be even harder to find what you need to fix it. Eventually it just leads to a huge cash sink hole.

What ya willing to spend and what you looking for and I could spec you something

I was hoping to go through a bigger brand so I could finance. I was looking at dells XPS 720x or something or other for around $1600.

If it is just a straight cash deal I could probably do $1000 but I'm not going to get much for that I don't think.

I'm not sure about the proc I'm at work right now. I know it isn't a quad or duo or a 4. It might be Pentium D I think.

Crisco
06-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Also If I upgraded my video card would I see a signifcant difference in performance?

rockdawg21
06-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Even if you've been "out of it" for awhile, go check some of the most hardcore games out there and view their minimum system requirements.

Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War:
Minimum PC System Requirements
PC Processor Type
Intel® Pentium® 4 processor
PC Operating System
Windows XP, Windows Vista
PC System Memory
1GB RAM
PC Hard Drive Space
5.5GB
PC Video
128MB DirectX 9.0c-compatible NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GI or ATI RADEON X1600 video card
PC Additional Requirements
Internet service required to access online features

Empire: Total War
PC Processor Type
Intel® Pentium® processor, AMD Athlon™ processor
PC Processor Speed
2.4GHz
PC Operating System
PC System Memory
1GB RAM
PC Hard Drive Space
15GB
PC Video
256MB DirectX 9.0c-compatible video card with Pixel Shader 2 or greater
PC Additional Requirements
Internet service required to access online features

Left 4 Dead
PC Processor Type
Intel® Pentium® 4 processor, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 processor
PC Processor Speed
3GHz
PC Operating System
PC System Memory
1GB RAM
PC Hard Drive Space
7.5GB
PC Video
256MB DirectX 9-compatible video card with Pixel Shader 2.0
PC Sound Card
DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
PC Drive Type and Speed
DVD-ROM 8x
Just judging from the looks of the examples above, minimum requirements for most games are:

Call of Duty - World at War
PC Processor Type
AMD Athlon™ 64 processor, Intel® Pentium® 4 processor
PC Processor Speed
3GHz
PC Operating System
Windows Vista, Windows XP
PC System Memory
512MB RAM
PC Hard Drive Space
8GB
PC Video
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT or ATI RADEON 1600XT video card with Shader 3.0

Average minimum requirements (from above estimates):
- 2.4GHz -3.0GHZ processor, Make sure your processor has at least a 4mb cache (8mb cache if you have the ca$h :laugh: ) and you'll be fine
- 2-3gb of ram. Windows XP is going to use about 1gb of your ram just to operate, so do yourself a favor and estimate the minimum requirement is 3-4gb instead of 2-3gb. Shoot for 6gb or more.
- 256mb video card, so get 512mb or more.
- The larger the hard drive, the faster the computer too. Also, watch for turning speeds (5400rpm, 7800rpm, etc.), the higher, the better (most are going to be 5400rpm though).

Hope this helps!

logrus
06-29-2009, 08:43 PM
I was hoping to go through a bigger brand so I could finance. I was looking at dells XPS 720x or something or other for around $1600.

If it is just a straight cash deal I could probably do $1000 but I'm not going to get much for that I don't think.

I'm not sure about the proc I'm at work right now. I know it isn't a quad or duo or a 4. It might be Pentium D I think.

The XPS 730 is suppose to be a decent system from what I have been hearing. I also heard that their other systems in the past has left something to be desired. So really it depends on you as a Dell customer, if your were extremely happy with your last one. Then keep with them. I mean why change something that isn't broken.

Straight up in comparison your looking at slightly cheaper cost to build it yourself. But with all the hassle involved sometimes it doesn't make much sense to go with a do it yourself. They build it, they test it. As for specs everything is recent on the system.

As for your question on a video card, you will get somewhat better performance from a newer card, but how much really depends on the game and what your willing to settle for graphic wise. Like I said though AGP cards are being phased out, I really am not sure if you will be getting anything from an upgrade.

Crisco
06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
The XPS 730 is suppose to be a decent system from what I have been hearing. I also heard that their other systems in the past has left something to be desired. So really it depends on you as a Dell customer, if your were extremely happy with your last one. Then keep with them. I mean why change something that isn't broken.

Straight up in comparison your looking at slightly cheaper cost to build it yourself. But with all the hassle involved sometimes it doesn't make much sense to go with a do it yourself. They build it, they test it. As for specs everything is recent on the system.

As for your question on a video card, you will get somewhat better performance from a newer card, but how much really depends on the game and what your willing to settle for graphic wise. Like I said though AGP cards are being phased out, I really am not sure if you will be getting anything from an upgrade.

I actually have an PCI.

But thanks for the info man. I guess I need to sit down and think.

I like the DELL and the system looks good for the buck. I'll hold our for awhile and see if they have some kind of sale coming up. In the mean time I'll save up money so I'm not financing much at all.

logrus
06-29-2009, 09:45 PM
I actually have an PCI.

But thanks for the info man. I guess I need to sit down and think.

I like the DELL and the system looks good for the buck. I'll hold our for awhile and see if they have some kind of sale coming up. In the mean time I'll save up money so I'm not financing much at all.

Even those cards seem to becoming rare, not many are being sold on the website I browse from time to time. You can pick one up for 50-100$ depending on what your willing to spend on one. I think ATI keeps up with them a bit more then say Nividia.

Well you need to be careful if your thinking about going with Dell, I was eyeing a system awhile ago, not only did it go up in price, but what they were offering was not nearly as good as their previous one.

I guess in the end the decision is, how hardcore are you, and are you able to deal with the 60$ payments if you do get approved for a finance with them.

Crisco
06-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Even those cards seem to becoming rare, not many are being sold on the website I browse from time to time. You can pick one up for 50-100$ depending on what your willing to spend on one. I think ATI keeps up with them a bit more then say Nividia.

Well you need to be careful if your thinking about going with Dell, I was eyeing a system awhile ago, not only did it go up in price, but what they were offering was not nearly as good as their previous one.

I guess in the end the decision is, how hardcore are you, and are you able to deal with the 60$ payments if you do get approved for a finance with them.

$60 dollars a month is no problem for me at all.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/desktop-xps-730x/pd.aspx?refid=desktop-xps-730x&cs=19&s=dhs

Would you recommend the $1600 or the $1800 version?

Do they look decent enough for the price I can afford both but if the $1800 is not worth paying $200 more I won't.

logrus
06-30-2009, 02:38 AM
$60 dollars a month is no problem for me at all.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/desktop-xps-730x/pd.aspx?refid=desktop-xps-730x&cs=19&s=dhs

Would you recommend the $1600 or the $1800 version?

Do they look decent enough for the price I can afford both but if the $1800 is not worth paying $200 more I won't.

Well the $1800 is slightly better, your get 3gigs of ram more, the ATI card is slightly better in comparison to the 9800GT if your monitor is a Tv or your have a 1080Tv that can act as a monitor then is a huge bonus. plus a slightly bigger hard drive.

Buzzard
06-30-2009, 03:39 AM

What are your thoughts?

Before you decide to buy, check out Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com, they offer great value. I have used newegg a few times and have always been completely satisfied with all of my purchases through them. If you build it yourself, you can often get more bang for the buck. Good luck.

atomdanger
06-30-2009, 03:51 AM

What are your thoughts?

PRICEWATCH.COM

Blows new egg out of the water.
Got some great stuff, and great prices from hundreds of websites.
So, if you're looking to buy new, check it out first.
I built mine for right around 1K, when dell wanted 2400 for the same specs.

atomdanger
06-30-2009, 03:53 AM
http://www.pricewatch.com/browse/computer_systems_with_os/core_2_extreme_x6800

Complete sys -
Windows Core 2 EXTREME X6800 2.93Ghz
win coa XP 4GB PC5400 DDR2/667
Intel Core2 Duo Extreme Edition

Just one of the many good deals on there.

logrus
06-30-2009, 04:51 AM
Before you decide to buy, check out Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com, they offer great value. I have used newegg a few times and have always been completely satisfied with all of my purchases through them. If you build it yourself, you can often get more bang for the buck. Good luck.

I tried a compare and contrast to what was being offered in Barebones vs what Dell was asking and it was relatively close. The exception being not 100% sure on their mobo or PSU. Of course you could have them build it, but I have horror stories about their techs.

You could build it, but not everyone has the skill or the luck to pull it off. I can't tell you how many times I had to dismantle a Pc someone thought they could do. You could bring it to a professional, but thats 150-200 bucks.

Crisco
06-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Well the $1800 is slightly better, your get 3gigs of ram more, the ATI card is slightly better in comparison to the 9800GT if your monitor is a Tv or your have a 1080Tv that can act as a monitor then is a huge bonus. plus a slightly bigger hard drive.

Well I went ahead and ordered the $1800.

Came to almost 2 g's after taxes and stuff. The payments are relatively easy and I have no interest until june 2010. I will just use my income tax to pay it off and be done with it by the end of the year.

All in all I can't wait for it to come.

Thanks everyone for all of your help I really appreciate it. The comp doesn't come until on or before july 16th so it will be a while before I can try it out. I'll let you guys know when I got it :).

Maldonado136
06-30-2009, 06:26 PM

Came to almost 2 g's after taxes and stuff. The payments are relatively easy and I have no interest until june 2010. I will just use my income tax to pay it off and be done with it by the end of the year.

Thanks everyone for all of your help I really appreciate it. The comp doesn't come until on or before july 16th so it will be a while before I can try it out. I'll let you guys know when I got it :).

when you get it you should go to www.quakelive.com and play quake live. its probably the most badass free first person shooter. you only gotta download a small plugin and then you can play.

VCURamFan
06-30-2009, 06:30 PM
when you get it you should go to www.quakelive.com (http://www.quakelive.com) and play quake live. its probably the most badass free first person shooter. you only gotta download a small plugin and then you can play.Speaking of free FPS, does anyone on here remember "The Opera"? It was based off the counter-strike engine & my brother used to play it all the time & loved it. Just curious if anyone else was familiar with it.

Crisco
06-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Speaking of free FPS, does anyone on here remember "The Opera"? It was based off the counter-strike engine & my brother used to play it all the time & loved it. Just curious if anyone else was familiar with it.

Na my first FPS though was kingpin. I was epic in that game.

After kingpin it was Moh:aa.

I was in 4 clans ranked number one in the world.

My friend Spyder and I ranked 1 on the 2v2 ladder for like 5 months.

I'm probably going to be playing Arma II once my new comp gets here.

logrus
07-01-2009, 05:38 AM

I think its a good deal if you don't have a background in computing for goofballs. I priced out what a similar computer would cost to build while at work this morning and the prices were half way decent.

975 -1100 barebone kit = Case, Power supply, Ram, Processor, Hard Drive
175-200 Graphics card
30-80 sound card
80-210 blue ray drive
30-60 DvD player/burner (optional)
130-210 OS
50-200 Fans, CPU fan
50-100 Misc parts, wires ect.

So to build it yourself if you didn't have the parts or OS laying around is 1500 low end and 2200 high end. If you want someone to build it, 150 extra to both totals. Then of cource you have the headaches of a double build, one to make sure it posts, then the second build in the case if you do it the standard way. Making sure everything is capatable, and then theres the issue if something is defective.

Crisco
07-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I think its a good deal if you don't have a background in computing for goofballs. I priced out what a similar computer would cost to build while at work this morning and the prices were half way decent.

975 -1100 barebone kit = Case, Power supply, Ram, Processor, Hard Drive
175-200 Graphics card
30-80 sound card
80-210 blue ray drive
30-60 DvD player/burner (optional)
130-210 OS
50-200 Fans, CPU fan
50-100 Misc parts, wires ect.

So to build it yourself if you didn't have the parts or OS laying around is 1500 low end and 2200 high end. If you want someone to build it, 150 extra to both totals. Then of cource you have the headaches of a double build, one to make sure it posts, then the second build in the case if you do it the standard way. Making sure everything is capatable, and then theres the issue if something is defective.

You have been a really great help man and I appreciate it. I just want the damn thing to be here already now lol.

Got some gaming to do :tongue0011:

Crisco
07-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Well just an update. The computer came and it is sitting in its box on my living room floor as I have not made it home from work yet.

UPDATES WILL FOLLOW.

I'm going to attempt to play GTA 4 first I think or perhaps install an older game to test the difference.

Llamafighter
07-14-2009, 08:50 PM
got any reindeer games?:frantics:

Crisco
07-14-2009, 08:54 PM
got any reindeer games?:frantics:

HEYO