PDA

View Full Version : BJ Penn Cuts Short UFC Priemtime Taping

Country Breakfast
01-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Despite solid ratings for Spike TV's first installment of the three-part "UFC Primetime: St. Pierre vs. Penn II" series, at least one participant was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in the piece.

A source close to the show on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) B.J. Penn recently shut down a taping and interview session for the series and no longer wants involved in the project.

Penn was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in last week's debut of the series, which hypes a Jan. 31 UFC 94 main event fight between the Hawaiian fighter and UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

Penn, the UFC's current lightweight title-holder, looks to become the first-ever UFC fighter to hold two belts simultaneously when he fights for St. Pierre's title at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"Primetime," a nearly $2 million project that airs in 30-minute blocks on Wednesdays from Jan. 14-28, follows each fighter as he prepares for the fight.

During the Jan. 14 debut, Penn was sometimes portrayed as a fighter who didn't take his training too seriously a reputation that's long dogged the 30-year-old fighter.

In the latest taping segment for "Primetime," Penn cut short taping just eight minutes into an interview, the source said.

A message left with Penn's publicity representative wasn't immediately returned.

The second installment of "UFC Primetime" airs tonight at 10 p.m. EST/PST on Spike TV.

Last week's "Primetime" debut scored a scored a 0.73 household rating and had an average audience of 880,000 viewers during its initial run at 10 p.m. EST/PST. An immediate replay that aired at 10:30 p.m. EST/PST scored a 0.53 rating with 614,000 viewers.

It currently ranks as the highest-rated "UFC Countdown" show in UFC and Spike TV history.

Tyburn
01-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I heard that it was because he felt that Dana White had been rude about his training regieme or something.

Finally, BJ Penn has taken a stand for something he believes in. I didnt watch the primetime programme because I couldnt find it on Setanta, so I dont know what was said...but the way they laud over GSP now...and the way they sorta dont with Penn so much anymore...if they were rude I couldnt understand him telling them to stick it

although...I would have thought they would have got him to sign something to ensure they HAVE a primetime slott.

I dunno...if anyone has any clarity on this they should speak up ;)

rearnakedchoke
01-21-2009, 10:51 PM
BJ is a drama queen .... he better get this attention, cuz his mystique is going to be destroyed in just a couple of weeks

VCURamFan
01-21-2009, 11:59 PM
He's probably pissed that they showed the bit of him leaving for vacation!

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 12:03 AM
he wrote me on Myspace about this.

Max
01-22-2009, 12:12 AM
BJ is a drama queen .... he better get this attention, cuz his mystique is going to be destroyed in just a couple of weeks
his mystique is not going to be destroyed. He really has nothing to lose going into the GSP fight. If this fight is at all competitive it makes BJ look even better.

rearnakedchoke
01-22-2009, 12:14 AM
his mystique is not going to be destroyed. He really has nothing to lose going into the GSP fight. If this fight is at all competitive it makes BJ look even better.
and if he really gets whipped?

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 12:17 AM
GSP has all the pressure. he's already beaten Penn and now he has to prove it wasn't a fluke. if he fails, Penn gets the belt. Penn will have earned more in victory this time around than GSP did when he won.

Max
01-22-2009, 12:27 AM
and if he really gets whipped?
GSP has killed his last 3 opponents so it really will not look bad if BJ gets whipped. Once again he is fighting at a weight class above his natural weight class. He is going up against the most well rounded MMA fighter ever (according to some people) he is going up against a guy who walks on water (or so I have been told). BJ should not last more than 1 min.

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 12:38 AM
He is going up against the most well rounded MMA fighter ever (according to some people) he is going up against a guy who walks on water (or so I have been told). BJ should not last more than 1 min.

if he signed with Affliction, Dana would say GSP is overrated, his record is padded, etc.:rolleyes:

Max
01-22-2009, 12:40 AM
if he signed with Affliction, Dana would say GSP is overrated, his record is padded, etc.:rolleyes:
no if he signs with Affliction its because he is scared to fight Silva.

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 12:41 AM
yeah, that would be one too

rearnakedchoke
01-22-2009, 12:43 AM
GSP has killed his last 3 opponents so it really will not look bad if BJ gets whipped. Once again he is fighting at a weight class above his natural weight class. He is going up against the most well rounded MMA fighter ever (according to some people) he is going up against a guy who walks on water (or so I have been told). BJ should not last more than 1 min.

nah, i think you have it wrong ... many people think that gsp won that first fight ... but it was close .... people also think that bj would rather be fighting at WW than LW .... so although gsp imo has more to lose, deep down, bj does have lots to lose ... i am sure he cares more about his legacy than his belt ... remember his quote "i just want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask?" ... or something like that .. so can he really be known as better than gsp if he has lost to him twice? maybe, but it will be tough ... i think bj is also a natural more in between 155 and 170 ... so fighting at 170 is not as much of a stretch for him as people make it out to be ... if coleman can make 205, well making 155 for bj should be easy ...

i think gsp wins this and they will fight again in a year or two after bj dispatches the lw's the rest of the year

rearnakedchoke
01-22-2009, 12:47 AM

i honestly can't see him signing with affliction ... he must know they can't stay in business the way they are paying people ... plus, to leave the ufc, he has to lose and i can't see him throwing a fight just to get a pay day off about a mill ... affliction is probably throwing high 6, low 7 figures at him as they want to break into the canadian market ... i just don't think gsp goes for it

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 12:48 AM
BJ gets the judges decision this time, thus setting up the rubber match

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 01:26 AM
GSP.. 3rd round GnP.... over I would LOVE to see a RNC..

Honestly as long as GSPs hand is raised.. I don't care ...

I think the pressure is on Baby Jay... He has already lost to the guy that beat Matt.. and he has lost to Matt... Baby Jay is invading the WW class again.. Matt pushed him back out the door... GSP will slam it in his face this time.

Max
01-22-2009, 01:29 AM
GSP.. 3rd round GnP.... over I would LOVE to see a RNC..

Honestly as long as GSPs hand is raised.. I don't care ...

I think the pressure is on Baby Jay... He has already lost to the guy that beat Matt.. and he has lost to Matt... Baby Jay is invading the WW class again.. Matt pushed him back out the door... GSP will slam it in his face this time.
how is the pressure on BJ?? Its just like the first time BJ moved up to fight Matt. BJ had no pressure on him because you are not supposed to move up a weight class and beat the best fighter in the world at that weight.

Max
01-22-2009, 01:38 AM
nah, i think you have it wrong ... many people think that gsp won that first fight ... but it was close .... people also think that bj would rather be fighting at WW than LW .... so although gsp imo has more to lose, deep down, bj does have lots to lose ...
BJ wants to fight where ever there are good fights for him. He feels like there are no good fights for him at 155 so he wants to move up to 170. IF he felt there were no good fights for him at 170 he would move up to 185. No matter how this fight goes BJ will still be remembered as one of the best fighters ever and a fighter who was willing to fight whoever as long as it was an interesting fight.

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 01:43 AM
how is the pressure on BJ?? Its just like the first time BJ moved up to fight Matt. BJ had no pressure on him because you are not supposed to move up a weight class and beat the best fighter in the world at that weight.

Let's see

Baby Jay beats Matt... ditches UFC..... and comes back...

Gets Beat by GSP.. then Hughes (again)..then wins against.. Jens.. (ok..was a good fight).. Joe Daddy (not in his class anyway).. and Sean (yes.. he did win that one well)..

With the exception of Jens... he has not fought anyone close to his skill set (and I am a Sherk fan)... and he is coming after a guy that beat him.. and beat another guy that beat Baby Jay.. twice..

He is wanting the fight.. he gets the fight... GSP is just kinda standing there..Baby Jay has the pressure.. IMO...

and WHEN.. GSP puts a great beat down... I will love it.

Max
01-22-2009, 01:53 AM
Let's see

Baby Jay beats Matt... ditches UFC..... and comes back...

Gets Beat by GSP.. then Hughes (again)..then wins against.. Jens.. (ok..was a good fight).. Joe Daddy (not in his class anyway).. and Sean (yes.. he did win that one well)..

With the exception of Jens... he has not fought anyone close to his skill set (and I am a Sherk fan)... and he is coming after a guy that beat him.. and beat another guy that beat Baby Jay.. twice..

He is wanting the fight.. he gets the fight... GSP is just kinda standing there..Baby Jay has the pressure.. IMO...

and WHEN.. GSP puts a great beat down... I will love it.

but if BJ gets beat by GSP he just goes down and dominates the LW division until he feels like going over and fighting in Japan. If GSP gets beat he losses his title and walks away with nothing.

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 01:59 AM
but if BJ gets beat by GSP he just goes down and dominates the LW division until he feels like going over and fighting in Japan. If GSP gets beat he losses his title and walks away with nothing.

Which is the main reason I don't want to see this fight.. GSP has NOTHING to gain..

He has beaten Baby Jay.. granted.. decision..

If GSP does a beat down.. I just want to see Dana mouthing to the camera... "Told him!"

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 02:02 AM
I think the pressure is on Baby Jay...

He has already lost to the guy that beat Matt.. and he has lost to Matt... Baby Jay is invading the WW class again..

first of all, BJ asked for the fight....if he felt pressure he wouldn't have.

second of all, GSP also lost to Matt. actually tapped before the armbar was sunk. of course that and then tapping to Serra strikes has led MMA fans to label GSP a quitter.

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Which is the main reason I don't want to see this fight.. GSP has NOTHING to gain..

He has beaten Baby Jay.. granted.. decision..

well that's too bad. what if Hughes and Serra told GSP they had nothing to gain by fighting him again, since they already beat him?

Preach
01-22-2009, 02:06 AM
well that's too bad. what if Hughes and Serra told GSP they had nothing to gain by fighting him again, since they already beat him?
good point BJ takes this fight

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 02:10 AM
well that's too bad. what if Matt and Serra told GSP they had nothing to gain by fighting him again, since they already beat him?

Not slamming either fighter on that point...

GSP wins = Baby Jay needs to stay in his "natural" weight class.. Nothing much else.
Baby Jay wins = BJ is the best PfP (to some).. now BJ has to defend too different belts.. we don't get to see the titles defended very frequently, and we (people who know that Baby Jay doesn't walk on MMA water) have to hear him.. talk more garabage..

GSP a quitter... lol...funny.....

GSP had SOMETHING wrong with him.. on the same night "hummel" Serra had the stars right for him...

everyone has an off night.. his was just off when Serra's was on...

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 02:18 AM
Dana said BJ would defend both belts if he wins.

BJ had something wrong with him when he fought GSP last time too, LOL.

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 02:21 AM
Dana said BJ would defend both belts if he wins.

BJ had something wrong with him when he fought GSP last time too, LOL.

So BJ will fight every 3 months?????

Nah.. Baby Jay was trying... trying HARD... GSP just kept shutting him down...

Max
01-22-2009, 02:26 AM

trying hard in the first round, yes. the other 2, not so much so

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 02:33 AM

maybe? Dana is the one saying it.

GSP was trying too, until he got rocked and then tapped to strikes.

and GSP was just laying on him. he didn't pass guard, he had little to no offensive damage done from the guard. as long as BJ is in shape, it will be harder to get him down.

like Matt said, he's picking Penn if he's in shape.

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 02:39 AM
like Matt said, he's picking Penn if he's in shape.

Well.. there is that.....

I don't want to go against Matt.. but I can respectfully disagree...

I really don't think that BJ will be able to do it..Will it be a cakewalk for GSP.. nah.. not at all. But GSP at the end

Max
01-22-2009, 02:40 AM
and GSP was just laying on him. he didn't pass guard, he had little to no offensive damage done from the guard. as long as BJ is in shape, it will be harder to get him down.

I think I need to remind some people how that fight went

ROUND 1

there was some of this
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/frmadig/25989.jpg

and some of this
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/frmadig/penn33xv.jpg

ROUND 2

little bit of this

but a crap load of this
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/frmadig/victory.jpg

and this
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/frmadig/laynpray.jpg

ROUND 3

tons and tons of this

AFTER THE FIGHT

GSP rides off in one of these
http://wonderfuluniverse.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/ambulance-uswashington-township.jpg

and BJ goes off and enjoys one of these
http://www.netweed.com/prohiphop/graf/afterparty.jpg

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 03:03 AM
co-signed^

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Well.. there is that.....

I don't want to go against Matt.. but I can respectfully disagree...

I really don't think that BJ will be able to do it..Will it be a cakewalk for GSP.. nah.. not at all. But GSP at the end

cognitive dissonance i see :D

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Eye poke.. and a clipped and broken nose..... GSP looked like HELL.. and still won...

hmmph... fancy that.

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 03:08 AM
cognitive dissonance i see :D

No, not at all. Just admitting that Baby Jay has some skill.. "could he win"... sure thing... I just don't see it.

Fedor has a better chance of beating Andrei Arlovski IMO, than Baby Jay has of beating GSP.

VCURamFan
01-22-2009, 03:39 AM

ROUND 1

there was some of this

and some of this

ROUND 2

little bit of this

but a crap load of this

and this

ROUND 3

tons and tons of this

AFTER THE FIGHT

http://wonderfuluniverse.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/ambulance-uswashington-township.jpg

http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl3.gif

timmyja
01-22-2009, 04:10 AM
Fedor has a better chance of beating Andrei Arlovski IMO, than Baby Jay has of beating GSP.

I guess BJ is gonna friggn own GSP on the 31st.

timmyja
01-22-2009, 04:11 AM
I'm gonna do an online bet for that fight.. oddsmakers had BJ at +350 last week. Be a real easy payday lol

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 06:38 AM

well duh....Fedor has a better chance of beating anyone than someone else does when they fight.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 12:44 PM
He's probably pissed that they showed the bit of him leaving for vacation!
:laugh: he lives in Hawaii...where exactly was he going on vacation to?? :blink:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
nah, i think you have it wrong ... many people think that gsp won that first fight ... but it was close .... people also think that bj would rather be fighting at WW than LW .... so although gsp imo has more to lose, deep down, bj does have lots to lose ... i am sure he cares more about his legacy than his belt ... remember his quote "i just want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask?" ... or something like that .. so can he really be known as better than gsp if he has lost to him twice? maybe, but it will be tough ... i think bj is also a natural more in between 155 and 170 ... so fighting at 170 is not as much of a stretch for him as people make it out to be ... if coleman can make 205, well making 155 for bj should be easy ...

i think gsp wins this and they will fight again in a year or two after bj dispatches the lw's the rest of the year

Legacy? Only recently has Penn invested in any legacy at all. He lost that match because he quit and gassed think he'd done enough in the first round to win. Penn SHOULD have won the first fight, he let himself down on that one to be honnest.

But I dont think GSP is really on Penns mind...I dont think this is about fighting GSP again so much as it is being the first UFC fighter to do something new. He's out to add a jewel to his crown...NOT that of a win over GSP...that of two belts at once. I think you find that will motivate Penn more then a grudge match...because he already thinks the judges should have awarded him the fight last time...in his head, he's never lost to GSP...not really.:frantics:

rearnakedchoke
01-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Legacy? Only recently has Penn invested in any legacy at all. He lost that match because he quit and gassed think he'd done enough in the first round to win. Penn SHOULD have won the first fight, he let himself down on that one to be honnest.

But I dont think GSP is really on Penns mind...I dont think this is about fighting GSP again so much as it is being the first UFC fighter to do something new. He's out to add a jewel to his crown...NOT that of a win over GSP...that of two belts at once. I think you find that will motivate Penn more then a grudge match...because he already thinks the judges should have awarded him the fight last time...in his head, he's never lost to GSP...not really.:frantics:

tell his nuthuggers that he doesn't have a legacy ... people are calling him the greatest fighter of all time already ... all i am saying is, you can't call yourself the best of all-time until you have cleaned out everyone in your reach ... the only real person who has done that imo is Fedor ... has his competition been the stiffest? no, but who he has fought, he has beat them ... gsp has lost twice but he has avenged those losses .. imo bj has a legacy for fighting everyone won, which is noble, but when you barely have a 500 record out of your weight class, that is nothing to build a legacy on .. come the 31st .. does he have a chance? sure, everyone has a chance, but from what i have seen, gsp has been the one to improve more and will be triumphant ... if he isn't, well until someone beats BJ, he will be the best fighter in the world bar none ..

medic92
01-22-2009, 02:22 PM

ROUND 1

there was some of this

and some of this

ROUND 2

little bit of this

but a crap load of this

and this

ROUND 3

tons and tons of this

AFTER THE FIGHT

Great pictorial Max. Now where's the picture that really counts, where it shows GSP with another entry in the WIN column and Penn with another entry in the LOSS column?

Preach
01-22-2009, 02:38 PM
GSP did nothing in the fight against BJ and won because he laid on BJ for 2 rounds. It has nothing to do with whose hand got raised in the first fight BJ knows who won and so does GSP and all his nuthuggers. I not only think BJ will win this time but I also think he will dominate GSP

rearnakedchoke
01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
GSP did nothing in the fight against BJ and won because he laid on BJ for 2 rounds. It has nothing to do with whose hand got raised in the first fight BJ knows who won and so does GSP and all his nuthuggers. I not only think BJ will win this time but I also think he will dominate GSP

and that is why we have a sig bet for this ...

MattHughesRocks
01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Well if he won doing nothing just think what he'll do on the 31st!

WAR GSP!

rearnakedchoke
01-22-2009, 03:11 PM
in the end, we won't know for sure who will win until the fight is over .. i am not going to budge what max and preach think and they aren't going to sway what i think ... so someone is going to be wrong, someone is going to be right (unless it is a draw or NC then we will all be pissed) ... but what this thread started as is BJ cutting short taping and in this series, he says he has been portrayed as this and that, and in the end he as said "i want to kill him", bascially called gsp a bitch and is always talking about what bj does "he can go to his nite club's" etc .. BJ, i thought talk was cheap .. there is only one person to blame for you coming off as an ass and that is BJ Penn ...

rearnakedchoke
01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Great pictorial Max. Now where's the picture that really counts, where it shows GSP with another entry in the WIN column and Penn with another entry in the LOSS column?

let's see if we bring this example over to the superbowl and see if the scenario still works ...

Team A - plays horrible, has key members injured, but capitilzes on mistakes Team B makes (goal line turnovers, 3rd or 4th down flags on D etc)

Team B - plays awesome, moves the ball well running, passing, everyone stays healthy but has missed field goals, etc.

Team B looks bad and is injured as hell, but wins the superbowl ... Team A complains, we played the better game, had a few small mistakes .. we were better on all levels in that game, we deserve the win ...

which team would you rather be on ..

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 04:39 PM
tell his nuthuggers that he doesn't have a legacy ... people are calling him the greatest fighter of all time already ... all i am saying is, you can't call yourself the best of all-time until you have cleaned out everyone in your reach ... the only real person who has done that imo is Fedor ... has his competition been the stiffest? no, but who he has fought, he has beat them ... gsp has lost twice but he has avenged those losses .. imo bj has a legacy for fighting everyone won, which is noble, but when you barely have a 500 record out of your weight class, that is nothing to build a legacy on .. come the 31st .. does he have a chance? sure, everyone has a chance, but from what i have seen, gsp has been the one to improve more and will be triumphant ... if he isn't, well until someone beats BJ, he will be the best fighter in the world bar none ..
:rolleyes: I've talked about Penn and his lack of legacy more times then I care to remember. See...to have a legacy you gotta sit still in one place and work. He tried in the LW division and got smushed by Jens Pulver, ooops first loss, and first Title attempt...then he tried against Uno, ooops second title attempt...then after not winning either he was given a shot at MH for no good reason AT ALL...with less then a few months of holding the title, he was given the boot for breaking his contract. It was then a good while before he returned, and when he did he had another crack and failed. He had at this time challenged for FOUR Titles and only won once, and never defended. These titles not even all being in the same division.

Sherk was a victim of outrageous politics which gave Penn the opportunity he needed, on his FIFTH Title Contention, and THIRD for the LWC he finally won and then started his legacy.

:frantics:

I expect him to win the Welterweight contest...making a total of Three wins out of six title contentions, and two of those in a class which isnt his primary division...then I expect him to fail to hold them both and once and lose them both in swift succession. By UFC105 I dont think people will be talking about Penn the way they have in the past...his nutthuggers are already diminished...strange considering he's just founded a true legacy now.

Hopefully the UFC will learn from the mistake and stop others following Penns route...in the meantime the illusion that GSP is the next BJ Penn will be shattered at best...and FINALY we can move on :cool:

Max
01-22-2009, 04:44 PM
let's see if we bring this example over to the superbowl and see if the scenario still works ...

Team A - plays horrible, has key members injured, but capitilzes on mistakes Team B makes (goal line turnovers, 3rd or 4th down flags on D etc)

Team B - plays awesome, moves the ball well running, passing, everyone stays healthy but has missed field goals, etc.

Team B looks bad and is injured as hell, but wins the superbowl ... Team A complains, we played the better game, had a few small mistakes .. we were better on all levels in that game, we deserve the win ...

which team would you rather be on ..
not really a good example. A better example would be

Team A is killing Team B and is up by 21 at half time. Then just as Team A's first and second string players are getting ready to come out for the second half the hallway caves in and they are stuck in the locker room. Team A is forced to play the rest of the game with their 3rd string. Team B ends up making a comeback and beats Team A on a last second field goal. Team B's players jump up and down like little girls and all Team B's fan talk about how Team B is so great.

Now not long after that game Team B plays a group of 6 year old girls in football (Serra) and gets killed. Team B's fans still act like their team walks on water.

That would be a better example of how that fight, the the Serra fight, went.

Max
01-22-2009, 04:47 PM
1. he was given a shot at MH for no good reason AT ALL...

2. with less then a few months of holding the title, he was given the boot for breaking his contract.

1. BJ was the #1 LW in the world at the time, he just beat Gomi, and there was no LW title for him to go after. Add in the fact that Matt had cleared out the WW div and Hughes vs Penn was a good idea

2. not really given the boot, he more of chose to go fight over in Japan and the UFC got pissed.

VCURamFan
01-22-2009, 05:06 PM
2. not really given the boot, he more of chose to go fight over in Japan and the UFC got pissed.But he was given the boot. He chose to fight in Japan, UFC said "Not while you're our champ", he went anyway, so they got pissed & gave him the boot. If it had been up to BJ, he would have fought in both organizations at once. While you're right that the choice was his, he still got the boot for making the decision.

On that note: could you imagine how much worse it would have been for BJ if he had tried to pull that stunt today? Dana was a push-over back then!!

Max
01-22-2009, 05:12 PM
But he was given the boot. He chose to fight in Japan, UFC said "Not while you're our champ", he went anyway, so they got pissed & gave him the boot. If it had been up to BJ, he would have fought in both organizations at once. While you're right that the choice was his, he still got the boot for making the decision.
he got his title taken away, its not like he was kicked out of the org. he chose to go fight in Japan the UFC got pissed and took his title away. Giving someone the boot would be if BJ did something wrong and the UFC kicked him out of the UFC. Fitch got the boot (even though it only lasted 2 days). I dont think that was the case here. BJ chose to sign a 1 fight deal with K-1, it was not untill the UFC took his title away that BJ left the UFC and signed a long term deal with K-1. Its kinda like what happened with Sherk. Sherk did something that forced the UFC to take his title away but he was not given the boot.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 05:39 PM
1. BJ was the #1 LW in the world at the time, he just beat Gomi, and there was no LW title for him to go after. Add in the fact that Matt had cleared out the WW div and Hughes vs Penn was a good idea

2. not really given the boot, he more of chose to go fight over in Japan and the UFC got pissed.
1. He'd FAILED TWICE to gain the title, so he was NOT Number One. He couldnt have "just beat Gomi" because the guy wasnt in the UFC but in Pride...He couldnt beat Jens Pulver when it mattered, and he couldnt beat Caol Uno when it mattered...He was given the chance coz he was a poster boi and they favoured him with treats.

2) He was sacked when he broke his contract by fighting somewhere else.

Breaking your contract IS doing something wrong Max. I've heard the "he was between contracts" shyte before, but honnestly, if you hold a belt for an insitution and you know they dont allow you to fight else where...then dont be suprised if they give you the boot if you...duh...go fight somewhere else!

Max
01-22-2009, 05:57 PM
so he was NOT Number One. He couldnt have "just beat Gomi" because the guy wasnt in the UFC but in Pride..
when BJ fought Matt the first time he was the #1 ranked LW in the world. Pulver had lost 2 times since his fight with Penn. Both of those fights were lost by TKO and both ended in the first round. Uno got beat by Franca in his next fight after Penn. I guess an argument could be made for Hansen except he got beat in his next fight after beating Gomi.

As for the whole "he couldnt have just beat Gomi" comment you made, you need to do a little research Dave. BJ Penn fought Gomi on 10/10/2003 in Rumble on the Rock 4, (I have that DVD by the way). On 1/31/2004 BJ fought Matt for the first time. So like I said before, BJ had just beat Gomi, he was the number 1 LW in the world and there was no LW belt for him to fight for and Matt had cleaned out the WW div.

Max
01-22-2009, 06:02 PM
I've heard the "he was between contracts" shyte before, but honnestly, if you hold a belt for an insitution and you know they dont allow you to fight else where...then dont be suprised if they give you the boot if you...duh...go fight somewhere else!
The thing is the UFC had allowed BJ to fight else where while he was still under contract with the UFC. They let him fight Gomi in Rumble on the Rock.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 06:03 PM
when BJ fought Matt the first time he was the #1 ranked LW in the world. Pulver had lost 2 times since his fight with Penn. Both of those fights were lost by TKO and both ended in the first round. Uno got beat by Franca in his next fight after Penn. I guess an argument could be made for Hansen except he got beat in his next fight after beating Gomi.

As for the whole "he couldnt have just beat Gomi" comment you made, you need to do a little research Dave. BJ Penn fought Gomi on 10/10/2003 in Rumble on the Rock 4, (I have that DVD by the way). On 1/31/2004 BJ fought Matt for the first time. So like I said before, BJ had just beat Gomi, he was the number 1 LW in the world and there was no LW belt for him to fight for and Matt had cleaned out the WW div.
:scared0015: how many times did he leave the organisation???

After Pulver, and then After Hughes? He's even more of a bloody yoyo then I thought.

Number one or not...he had not held the Title of Number one in the UFC which is the premier, and he had tried twice and failed...soooo either way you look at it

I'm right :laugh:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 06:05 PM
The thing is the UFC had allowed BJ to fight else where while he was still under contract with the UFC. They let him fight Gomi in Rumble on the Rock.
Its there perogative...it doesnt mean they will let him fight everytime and anywhere. They have the power....he learned that the hard way :ninja:

Max
01-22-2009, 06:13 PM
:scared0015: how many times did he leave the organisation???

After Pulver, and then After Hughes? He's even more of a bloody yoyo then I thought.

Number one or not...he had not held the Title of Number one in the UFC which is the premier, and he had tried twice and failed...soooo either way you look at it. I'm right :laugh:
He did not leave the UFC when he went and fought in RUmble on the Rock (just like he did not leave when he had his first fight in K-1). It was one fight in between his UFC fights.

So what you are telling me is that a fighter has to be #1 in the UFC inorder for it to count for anything? So Fedor should have to kill 4 or 5 of the crap HW's in the UFC before he gets to kill Brock or Mir or who ever holds the title. Thats just stupid Dave. If fighter is new to the Org I understand giving them one fight in order to let the fans know who they are but after that they should get a title shot. On the other hand if you fight for the UFC and for some reason the weight class you fight in does not have a Champ, I see nothing wrong with the UFC letting you move up and get a title shot at the weight above yours.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
He did not leave the UFC when he went and fought in RUmble on the Rock (just like he did not leave when he had his first fight in K-1). It was one fight in between his UFC fights.

So what you are telling me is that a fighter has to be #1 in the UFC inorder for it to count for anything? So Fedor should have to kill 4 or 5 of the crap HW's in the UFC before he gets to kill Brock or Mir or who ever holds the title. Thats just stupid Dave. If fighter is new to the Org I understand giving them one fight in order to let the fans know who they are but after that they should get a title shot. On the other hand if you fight for the UFC and for some reason the weight class you fight in does not have a Champ, I see nothing wrong with the UFC letting you move up and get a title shot at the weight above yours.
I'm telling you that the UFC is the premier. I'm also telling you people shouldnt be fastracked...that "crap" you talk about is other guys careers...and just like what happened with CroCop...what would happen if Fedor HAD to work his way up.

You do realize that Anderson Silva kinda cost Mike Swick his career in the short term dont you? Do you get that Max? do you understand that if you want something, and you are as good as you claim...that you need to put in the time. Those that DO shouldnt be punished. It should have been Franklin V Swick WAY before Anderson Silva.

Max
01-22-2009, 06:26 PM
You do realize that Anderson Silva kinda cost Mike Swick his career in the short term dont you? Do you get that Max? do you understand that if you want something, and you are as good as you claim...that you need to put in the time. Those that DO shouldnt be punished. It should have been Franklin V Swick WAY before Anderson Silva.
Silva did nothing to Swick's career. Swick still fights, he fights at WW now which is a better weight for him anyway. The only person Swick has to blame for him not getting a title shot at MW is himself. Had he beat Okami Im sure the UFC would have given him a title shot. In fact if you look at it, after Okami beat Swick he fought Rich for a title shot. It was Swick's loss to Okami, not Silva killing everyone in his path, that slowed down Swick's career.

Max
01-22-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm telling you that the UFC is the premier.
It is the premier org but it does not have all the best fighters. There are fighters in other org's (DREAM and AFFLICTION) that are better than the fighters the UFC has. A fighter should not be thought of as less of a fighter because he does not want to fight in the UFC. Just like a UFC fighter should not have been looked down on when PRIDE was on top.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Silva did nothing to Swick's career. Swick still fights, he fights at WW now which is a better weight for him anyway. The only person Swick has to blame for him not getting a title shot at MW is himself. Had he beat Okami Im sure the UFC would have given him a title shot. In fact if you look at it, after Okami beat Swick he fought Rich for a title shot. It was Swick's loss to Okami, not Silva killing everyone in his path, that slowed down Swick's career.
If Silva had not been fast-tracked Swick might have held the gold!

What is the use in fighting hard for your career if you are gonna be constantly overlooked. :rolleyes:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 06:31 PM
It is the premier org but it does not have all the best fighters. There are fighters in other org's (DREAM and AFFLICTION) that are better than the fighters the UFC has. A fighter should not be thought of as less of a fighter because he does not want to fight in the UFC. Just like a UFC fighter should not have been looked down on when PRIDE was on top.
but they were, and most probably by yourself. You were always big into Pride werent you :huh:

Max
01-22-2009, 06:40 PM
If Silva had not been fast-tracked Swick might have held the gold!

What is the use in fighting hard for your career if you are gonna be constantly overlooked. :rolleyes:
and had BJ not gotten hurt he might have beat Matt, but guess what BJ did get hurt and Silva did jump over Swick. It does not appear as though Swick's career has been hurt. He ended up making a smart move and moved down to a weight class that is better for him. It could have been hurt though had he got a title shot before he was ready just look at Nate Quarry. If the UFC does not feel a fighter is ready for a title shot they should not have to give him one.

Preach
01-22-2009, 06:42 PM
How did this turn into a discussion about Swick

Max
01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
but they were, and most probably by yourself. You were always big into Pride werent you :huh:
I was a huge fan of PRIDE but I still gave the top guys in the UFC credit. Matt, GSP, Rich, Chuck, Randy, AA were all top level fighters even though they were not PRIDE fighters.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 06:44 PM
and had BJ not gotten hurt he might have beat Matt, but guess what BJ did get hurt and Silva did jump over Swick. It does not appear as though Swick's career has been hurt. He ended up making a smart move and moved down to a weight class that is better for him. It could have been hurt though had he got a title shot before he was ready just look at Nate Quarry. If the UFC does not feel a fighter is ready for a title shot they should not have to give him one.
If BJ Penn had of applied a submission attempt correctly he porbably wouldnt have separated his ribs. I think he's telling porkies about when the injury took place.

I think Swick was ready...now its gonna take him ages to get ready again :angry:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
I was a huge fan of PRIDE but I still gave the top guys in the UFC credit. Matt, GSP, Rich, Chuck, Randy, AA were all top level fighters even though they were not PRIDE fighters.
if you say so. I cant really remember that far back. :rolleyes:

Max
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
How did this turn into a discussion about Swick
you have to look past the Swick discussion and see it for what it really is.....the epic battle between Dave and I that will never end as long as there is light and dark in this world.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
you have to look past the Swick discussion and see it for what it really is.....the epic battle between Dave and I that will never as long as there is light and dark in this world.
:laugh: The Epic Battles are usually between me and Andreas....

...your not ready for your shot at me yet :laugh: You might get hurt...or perhaps the fates decide to fast-track Chuck or Jonlion over you. :tongue0011:

Crisco
01-22-2009, 06:54 PM
For the Record being fast tracked for a title is not a bad thing unless the champion demolishes you.

Andersons talent and greatness could not be fully utilized fighting on the undercard on the way up. When you come in with awesome talent and are not 23 years old fast tracking you to a title fight is a good idea especially if your already champion caliber which everone knew Anderson was.

After watching Lesnar almost kill Mir then get caught and then his complete destruction of Heath Herring treating him like a little girl for three rounds the dude was capable of fighting for a title and being that he is marketable and not a spring chicken get him in and let him fight for the title.

Lets also not forget that At the time and still to this day the MW division is one of if not the weakest divisions in the UFC especially with Franklin now wanting to be at 205. Same as the HW division, Frate train breathed new life into the division and everyone is still wondering just how good he really is.

Crisco
01-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Also if Swick could not defeat Anderson which we know he could not he didn't deserve to wear the belt in any case. Swick couldn't defeat Rich on Rich's worst day. and Anderson is Rich's kryptonite.

Swick fights like a Thai and Anderson is better then anyone in the UFC at that by leaps and bounds.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Also if Swick could not defeat Anderson which we know he could not he didn't deserve to wear the belt in any case. Swick couldn't defeat Rich on Rich's worst day. and Anderson is Rich's kryptonite.

Swick fights like a Thai and Anderson is better then anyone in the UFC at that by leaps and bounds.
He deserved the chance to fail :ninja:

I didnt say he would...I said he might have...if he tried and didnt, it wouldnt be a waste...just a change of direction...but he wasnt permitted to try...sooo wasnt working up to it...sorta...a waste?

Crisco
01-22-2009, 07:04 PM
He deserved the chance to fail :ninja:

I didnt say he would...I said he might have...if he tried and didnt, it wouldnt be a waste...just a change of direction...but he wasnt permitted to try...sooo wasnt working up to it...sorta...a waste?

Not in the long run I think... I would trade 3 swicks for a 1/4 Anderson.

rearnakedchoke
01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm telling you that the UFC is the premier. I'm also telling you people shouldnt be fastracked...that "crap" you talk about is other guys careers...and just like what happened with CroCop...what would happen if Fedor HAD to work his way up.

lol ... mike swick?? the reason his career isn't what it should be is cuz he sucks .. plain and simple, please don't use his name and anderson's, bj's, gsp's unless you are using him to contrast what mma's should be ...

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Not in the long run I think... I would trade 3 swicks for a 1/4 Anderson.
So your saying it was a waste...because he just aint that good compared to Silva. :wacko:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 07:08 PM
lol ... mike swick?? the reason his career isn't what it should be is cuz he sucks .. plain and simple, please don't use his name and anderson's, bj's, gsp's unless you are using him to contrast what mma's should be ...
Dont be mean...All I think is that those who work hard should be rewarded and alowed to try...others should wait there turn! :punch:

Jonlion
01-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I think it was good Anderson was fast tracked, it meant we knew who was the best quicker and not have pretenders holding the title.

Who said rising to be champion was ever fair or easy, If swick could got past an moderate Okami at best he woulda got a shot but he failed.

Tough luck for Swick! :wink:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 08:34 PM
I think it was good Anderson was fast tracked, it meant we knew who was the best quicker and not have pretenders holding the title.

Who said rising to be champion was ever fair or easy, If swick could got past an moderate Okami at best he woulda got a shot but he failed.

Tough luck for Swick! :wink:
Feel the same when Matt Serra was fast-tracked to the Belt?

Jonlion
01-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Feel the same when Matt Serra was fast-tracked to the Belt?

He wasn't fast tracked, he won a competition to get there, he was worthy by winning it and it was just a shame GSP could't see his end of the deal and crush Serra!:cool:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 10:16 PM
He wasn't fast tracked, he won a competition to get there, he was worthy by winning it and it was just a shame GSP could't see his end of the deal and crush Serra!:cool:
:wacko: you think that he actually beat Chris Lytle in the finale?:huh:

Jonlion
01-22-2009, 10:24 PM
:wacko: you think that he actually beat Chris Lytle in the finale?:huh:

I nearly feel the same about all these close/contreversial decisions. Neither done enough to lose or win, so it dont matter either way, perhaps if Lytle had got the decision, they'd be just as many saying Serra was cheated.

So it can go either way, so both deserve to lose or win, not great but there it is.

The fact is though, the result went his way, he won, he got the competition and the reward it offered. Could better guys of got a shot, of course but what can you do! Anyway the point is, it is slightly different to what happened with Swick.

I dont feel particularly sorry for Swick, there are loads of fighters who have seemingly been denied a shot at the Gold. He is no worse than many others.

Besides, he is a darling of the UFC so he has had it better than most.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 10:46 PM
I nearly feel the same about all these close/contreversial decisions. Neither done enough to lose or win, so it dont matter either way, perhaps if Lytle had got the decision, they'd be just as many saying Serra was cheated.

So it can go either way, so both deserve to lose or win, not great but there it is.

The fact is though, the result went his way, he won, he got the competition and the reward it offered. Could better guys of got a shot, of course but what can you do! Anyway the point is, it is slightly different to what happened with Swick.

I dont feel particularly sorry for Swick, there are loads of fighters who have seemingly been denied a shot at the Gold. He is no worse than many others.

Besides, he is a darling of the UFC so he has had it better than most.
:laugh: Yes...they do use him...or did use him I Suppose...my point is that there is no way of denying pretenders to the throne...the only way to do things properly would be to have an order of acession. The UFC dont want to do that. that would tie the managements hands...it might also not be quite as good sometimes I suppose.

Are you still mad at me :huh:

Jonlion
01-22-2009, 10:49 PM
:laugh: Yes...they do use him...or did use him I Suppose...my point is that there is no way of denying pretenders to the throne...the only way to do things properly would be to have an order of acession. The UFC dont want to do that. that would tie the managements hands...it might also not be quite as good sometimes I suppose.

Are you still mad at me :huh:

Ha ha Dave, i never hold grudges! I can get angry at something but it's in the moment, i dont hold onto it. So dont worry about in the slightest, its cool to be pushed on your posts sometimes!

So no worries!!!

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Ha ha Dave, i never hold grudges! I can get angry at something but it's in the moment, i dont hold onto it. So dont worry about in the slightest, its cool to be pushed on your posts sometimes!

So worries!!!
:laugh: well, I dont hold back against noone...American, English...Martian :blink:

I just say stuff...and sometimes it gets me into trouble...and sometimes it doesnt hahahaha :ashamed:

atomdanger
01-23-2009, 04:07 AM

Why? lol Thats a laughable comment.

Even if GSP wins, BJ will not lose anything, he is a LW, GSP is a monster compared to BJ,
moving up a weight class and losing isn't humiliating or something,
esp since little out of shape BJ was once the champ there too,
and once held his own with GSP.

I do not think anything of his will be destroyed win or lose

bry241173
01-23-2009, 11:54 AM
BJ is a strange one, never gives joe rogan the time of day after the fight "If you wanna know more go to bjpenn.com" Yeah thanks for that!?!?!
Now doesn't like the way the editing is going... maybe if he wasn't such a idiot then he wouldn't look bad.
He's in my top 3 of UFC fighters who need a personality transplant, the other two being koscheck and Bisping.

As for the fight, as good as bj has become, gsp is too much for the welterweights let alone a natural lightweight.
Over in 3 rounds.

rearnakedchoke
01-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Why? lol Thats a laughable comment.

Even if GSP wins, BJ will not lose anything, he is a LW, GSP is a monster compared to BJ,
moving up a weight class and losing isn't humiliating or something,
esp since little out of shape BJ was once the champ there too,
and once held his own with GSP.

I do not think anything of his will be destroyed win or lose

think about it .. he may be a natural lightweight, but his aura that he is the greatest ... he may be the greatest lw but that is it .. all these fanboys who say he is the greatest won't be able to say that after he loses ...

Crisco
01-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I thought he man handled his 3 month old daughter a bit lol.

Didn't really support her head or anything lol.

I only noticed because my girlfriend was outraged and pointed it out haha

rearnakedchoke
01-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I thought he man handled his 3 month old daughter a bit lol.

Didn't really support her head or anything lol.

I only noticed because my girlfriend was outraged and pointed it out haha

yeah, what i found weird (and i may have missed her) but they didn't show his girlfriend? they showed everyone but her .. there was a rumour that she was underage, but i don't think that is the case ... LOL .. silly rumours ..

atomdanger
01-23-2009, 07:51 PM
think about it .. he may be a natural lightweight, but his aura that he is the greatest ... he may be the greatest lw but that is it .. all these fanboys who say he is the greatest won't be able to say that after he loses ...

You yourself even said he may be the greatest LW....

then you say all the fanboys who say he is the greatest.....
greatest what???
Sorry if you're a hater, but BJ will go down in history as one of the best fighters ever,
*shrug*

I just don't see how a loss would make him lose any mystique.

Crisco
01-23-2009, 08:11 PM
You yourself even said he may be the greatest LW....

then you say all the fanboys who say he is the greatest.....
greatest what???
Sorry if you're a hater, but BJ will go down in history as one of the best fighters ever,
*shrug*

I just don't see how a loss would make him lose any mystique.

I think he means fanboys think he is greatest p4p

atomdanger
01-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I think he means fanboys think he is greatest p4p

Ohhh gotcha...
I really don't think that is part of his aura.
He is super flexible, dangerous everywhere and has heavy hands. Pretty simple.

If he wins people will never hear the end of it.

MMeh
01-25-2009, 06:13 PM
The subject has changed a bit, but I just re-registered so I wanted to opine - as somebody who wants GSP to maul BJ, even I thought the editing of Penn's/GSP's training regimens was horrifically biased to make GSP look like a focused fighter/good guy and BJ as a slacker/punk. The whole thing with Dana was a joke, yes Dana we know you think you're a "&%#$@!^" hardcore boss who is making this a great show, blah blah blah, but that was cut to make Penn look like an idiot. They could have done the reverse (i.e. BJ training in one spot in an old school gym, while GSP goes and plays party boy at the club with all his expensive trainers/mercenaries) and I would have been screaming bloody murder. I know the whole good guy/bad guy thing sells, but this was ridiculous. Bottom line, this will be a great fight between two great fighters, and I hope GSP gets this one.

MattHughesRocks
01-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Amen! And welcome Newbie :laugh:

The subject has changed a bit, but I just re-registered so I wanted to opine - as somebody who wants GSP to maul BJ, even I thought the editing of Penn's/GSP's training regimens was horrifically biased to make GSP look like a focused fighter/good guy and BJ as a slacker/punk. The whole thing with Dana was a joke, yes Dana we know you think you a "&%#$@!^" hardcore boss who is making this a great show, blah blah blah, but that was cut to make Penn look like an idiot. They could have done the reverse (i.e. BJ training in one spot in an old school gym, while GSP goes and plays party boy at the club with all his expensive trainers/mercenaries) and I would have been screaming bloody murder. I know the whole good guy/bad guy thing sells, but this was ridiculous. Bottom line, this will be a great fight between two great fighters, and I hope GSP gets this one.

MMeh
01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Amen! And welcome Newbie :laugh:

Hey, I went through my rookie hazing a year and a half ago - it's not my fault the server switched/the stupid trolls made the fresh start necessary :wink:

rearnakedchoke
01-25-2009, 06:24 PM
even gsp doesn't buy it .... recent interview

http://www.thescore.com/video/Player.aspx?vid=2477

Josh
01-25-2009, 09:00 PM
even gsp doesn't buy it .... recent interview

http://www.thescore.com/video/Player.aspx?vid=2477
He's right and classy as usual. On a side note was he worried he had something in his teeth or something? He was doing something weird with his mouth the whole interview.