PDA

View Full Version : Pilot dies on Continental flight from Brussels to Newark

MattHughesRocks
06-18-2009, 06:04 PM
:scared0011:

Two pilots had to take over the controls of a flight from Brussels, Belgium, to Newark, N.J., this morning after the original pilot died mid-flight.

Continental Airlines spokeswoman Kelly Cripe said the 61-year-old pilot died of natural causes. He had worked for the airline for more than 20 years, according to the Associated Press

Flight 61 was scheduled to land on time at noon at Newark Liberty International Airport.

The captain's name has not been released.

Les Dorr Jr., a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration at John F. Kennedy International Airport told the New York Times a doctor was on board and pronounced the pilot dead. He was moved from the cockpit to a crew rest area. Continental spokeswoman Julie King said the flight continued safely.

"The crew on this flight included an additional relief pilot who took the place of the deceased pilot," she said. "The flight continued safely with two pilots at the controls. The company has been in touch with his family and we extend our deepest sympathies."

A medical doctor was on board the flight and pronounced the pilot dead, said Les Dorr Jr., a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2009/06/pilot_dies_on_flight_from_brus.html

Llamafighter
06-18-2009, 06:08 PM
:scared0011: that is terrible. My thought go to his family and other loved ones...

MattHughesRocks
06-18-2009, 06:12 PM
There were 247 passengers on that plane :scared0011:

Crisco
06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Atleast he died doing his passion..

RIP

MattHughesRocks
06-18-2009, 06:43 PM
I hope one day, I do to :ninja:

Atleast he died doing his passion..

County Mike
06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
I really don't get why this was such a big story. There was a co-pilot and also a third pilot on the plane. It landed without incident and the passengers were never in danger. They even made other arriving flights wait so this one could land. Mountain out of mole hill if you ask me.

rockdawg21
06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I hope one day, I do to :ninja:
Die?

Miss Foxy
06-18-2009, 09:15 PM
I really don't get why this was such a big story. There was a co-pilot and also a third pilot on the plane. It landed without incident and the passengers were never in danger. They even made other arriving flights wait so this one could land. Mountain out of mole hill if you ask me.
Perhaps, because the man died?? :sad:

County Mike
06-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Perhaps, because the man died?? :sad:

Yeah but people die all the time. Quite a few die while on the job. It just wasn't super newsworthy to take up all the channels with second-by-second updates on how the plane was going to land, etc.

It's not like someone shot him while he was flying the plane or like they didn't have someone else to land the plane. Now, a plane flying in the air with nobody trained to land it would be newsworthy. Some poor guy having a heart attack and passing away while on the job isn't national newsworthy.

MattHughesRocks
06-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Doing what is my passion.

Die?

MattHughesRocks
06-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Well it made you post :laugh:

Yeah but people die all the time. Quite a few die while on the job. It just wasn't super newsworthy to take up all the channels with second-by-second updates on how the plane was going to land, etc.

It's not like someone shot him while he was flying the plane or like they didn't have someone else to land the plane. Now, a plane flying in the air with nobody trained to land it would be newsworthy. Some poor guy having a heart attack and passing away while on the job isn't national newsworthy.

County Mike
06-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Well yeah, because it was the only story on the news the whole time I was in the gym today. I work for the FAA and everyone in the gym is like "what's the big deal? There's another pilot on the plane."

MattHughesRocks
06-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Yeah I noticed as the day goes by the news is making it more about how safe it is to fly using that dead man as an example of how even without a pilot you will survive.