PDA

View Full Version : Who should Matt fight next?

VCURamFan
06-17-2009, 06:38 PM
I suppose for the purposes of this one, it'd be cheating to ask Matt for his opinion, since this would ruin all our fun at guessing! :laugh:

If you vote for "Other", please state who & why, or else I'll throw a monumental hissy-fit!!

MattHughesRocks
06-17-2009, 10:34 PM
I voted for the loser of GSP/Alves.

MattHughesRocks
06-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Hey there are 3 votes and only 2 posts ( other then this one) What's up with that? Speak up people!

Primadawn
06-17-2009, 11:00 PM
I voted loser of GSP/Alves too.

logrus
06-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Logrus...

Vizion
06-18-2009, 01:18 AM
I picked Kos - he's shot his mouth off about Matt in the past, and with their wrestling backgrounds would be interesting. Time for Kos to settle up on his words.

TexasRN
06-18-2009, 01:27 AM
I also voted loser of GSP/Alves. I see Matt getting his belt back in 2 fights....

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
06-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Exactly

I also voted loser of GSP/Alves. I see Matt getting his belt back in 2 fights....

~Amy

Neezar
06-18-2009, 01:42 AM
I voted 'other' to see Ben throw a hissy fit. :happydancing:

TexasRN
06-18-2009, 01:47 AM
I voted 'other' to see Ben throw a hissy fit. :happydancing:

I've seen it and it ain't pretty. :unsure:

~Amy

Hughes_GOAT
06-18-2009, 01:51 AM
i voted other. i say Kampmann. Condit is a close second. i don't think the UFC will let Matt fight GSP after Alves KO's him with knees.

MattHughesRocks
06-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Alves isn't going to KO GSP with his anything :)

i voted other. i say Kampmann. Condit is a close second. i don't think the UFC will let Matt fight GSP after Alves KO's him with knees.

Hughes_GOAT
06-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Alves isn't going to KO GSP with his anything :)
quit defending Matt's mortal enemy! :laugh:

VCURamFan
06-18-2009, 03:14 AM
I voted Fitch because I think that'd be a stellar battle that will easily put Matt into title contention afterwards. I don't think that any of the others have earned a shot at Matt yet & I think the UFC will give Matt his shot at Alves once he runs over Fitch.

tHeFlOpSaYsFoLd
06-18-2009, 04:01 AM
voted Winner of GSP/Alves :punch: :punch: :punch:

Faith and Grace
06-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Well Alves will not beat GSP and I don't want to see Matt fight GSP again so I choose KOS.
Matt himself said GSP is a better fighter.

Miss Foxy
06-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Well Alves will not beat GSP and I don't want to see Matt fight GSP again so I choose KOS.
Matt himself said GSP is a better fighter.
Matt said himself GSP is a better fighter over who Alves? For having a name like faith and grace doesnt seem like you have any in Matt.. :mellow:

Llamafighter
06-18-2009, 09:20 PM
I think after we all saw how big Matt can get at 170 we can agree that both the ALves and GSP rematches would be VERY different. We didn't get to see all his standup weapons either. Even though he was landing some nice uppercuts in the 3rd if I remember correctly.

Preach
06-18-2009, 10:11 PM
I voted other I still would love to see Anderson vs Hughes or Hughes VS. Michael Bissbiiinnnggg

MattHughesRocks
06-18-2009, 10:37 PM
The whole problem I have with Matt fighting Bisping is that we'll have to hear him talk all the time for months like we did Serra:crazy:

I voted other I still would love to see Anderson vs Hughes or Hughes VS. Michael Bissbiiinnnggg

Hughes_GOAT
06-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Melissa got the claws out!

J.B.
06-18-2009, 11:26 PM
I voted "other" because I honestly don't think my opinion matters in this situation.

Matt has earned the right to fight whoever he wants in my opinion, and I also understand that the UFC is a business and they have their people decide what the best fights are.

I think between Matt and the UFC, they will come up with the absolute best fight for the time, and I have no reason to think otherwise. No matter who they pick, it's gonna be the same outcome anyway, HUGHES WINS!!!!

Take it to the bank! :)

MattHughesRocks
06-18-2009, 11:32 PM
No ones opinion matter here.We are just having some fun :)

Hughes_GOAT
06-19-2009, 01:03 AM
of course our opinions don't matter. i doubt Matt accepts fights based on the forum discussions. afterall, he was fighting long before this site was running.

MattHughesRocks
06-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Yeah, lucky for you huh? :laugh:

of course our opinions don't matter. i doubt Matt accepts fights based on the forum discussions. afterall, he was fighting long before this site was running.

Hughes_GOAT
06-19-2009, 01:26 AM
bingo

Spiritwalker
06-19-2009, 02:10 AM
My vote is "how ever the heck Matt Hughes wants.." IMO... but Matt and Chuck are the "500lb gorillas" of the UFC.

They have done so much for MMA and the UFC specific.. They shoudl get to make their own matches... IMO...

Call me a fan bot if you have to.. but I honestly believe this.

~Amy

Agreed.

Preach
06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Also would love to see Matt destroy Frank Shamrock

J.B.
06-19-2009, 03:49 PM
No ones opinion matter here.We are just having some fun :)

I am down with that, I guess I just personally don't have an opinion on it. No matter who it is I will just be happy to see Matt fight! :)

rockdawg21
06-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Anthony "Rumble" Johnson for talking that crap a few months back:

http://www.cagepotato.com/quote-day-anthony-johnson-isnt-worlds-biggest-matt-hughes-fan?page=1

"I’ll fight anybody the UFC puts in front of me but I’d like to fight Matt Hughes one day. People say his level of fighting is better than mine because he has a lot of experience. I don’t care. He’s a dick. Hopeufully I’ll get a chance to knock him out like Thiago Alves did...

When I fought Tommy [Speer] he was weird. Me and my friends were walking out of the locker room and he walked by. I said what’s up to him and nodded my head and he kept walking like I was invisible. I thought ok, you’re like that. I’m friendly. You only have one life to live. But if he’s like that I know why Matt Serra wants to beat his ass...

He wants to retire but he doesn’t need to retire until I beat his ass. After Matt Serra beats him give him to me and I’ll retire him. The HIT squad is great. Everything he does is great but I want to fight him because of that incident. Maybe he didn’t see me but I saw him look right at me. You want to be like that I’ll give you a reason not to want to look at me."

VCURamFan
06-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Anthony "Rumble" Johnson for talking that crap a few months back:

http://www.cagepotato.com/quote-day-anthony-johnson-isnt-worlds-biggest-matt-hughes-fan?page=1I'm really sick & tired of people getting too big for their britches & expecting people to cow-tow & fawn over them. You were walking one way, Matt was walking another, you said "Hi" & he acknowledged you by giving a head nod. How is that insulting????:frantics:

rockdawg21
06-19-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm really sick & tired of people getting too big for their britches & expecting people to cow-tow & fawn over them. You were walking one way, Matt was walking another, you said "Hi" & he acknowledged you by giving a head nod. How is that insulting????:frantics:
What's insulting is you read that wrong :laugh:
"I said what’s up to him and nodded my head and he kept walking like I was invisible"

Play The Man
06-20-2009, 05:02 PM
I think his next fight should be Alves. He needs to avenge that loss. Since I think that GSP will defeat Alves, I voted for the loser of GSP vs. Alves. I think that Condit and Swick aren't in the top tier of welterweights, yet, and a win over them doesn't carry as much weight as a win over GSP, Alves or Fitch. A fight with Koscheck looks a bit less promising, considering Koscheck's unexpected knockout loss a few months back.

NateR
06-20-2009, 05:17 PM
I think his next fight should be Alves. He needs to avenge that loss. Since I think that GSP will defeat Alves, I voted for the loser of GSP vs. Alves. I think that Condit and Swick aren't in the top tier of welterweights, yet, and a win over them doesn't carry as much weight as a win over GSP, Alves or Fitch. A fight with Koscheck looks a bit less promising, considering Koscheck's unexpected knockout loss a few months back.

I would concur with that, I think Matt's next fight should be Alves; but I think it should be regardless of whether Alves wins or loses to GSP - I see no reason for force Matt to work his way back up to a title shot like he's some kind of unproven amateur.

Look at Randy Couture's career, he lost the title in a freak accident to Vitor Belfort in UFC 46, won one contention fight, then immediately got another shot at the title against Chuck Liddell. He lost that fight, but only had to fight once more to get yet another chance to win the title from Chuck. He lost that fight as well, retired, then came out of retirement to an instant title shot against Tim Sylvia. If Randy doesn't have to work his way back up from the bottom, then I don't see why Matt should (especially considering how much better Matt's record is compared to Randy's).

VCURamFan
06-20-2009, 05:33 PM
I would concur with that, I think Matt's next fight should be Alves; but I think it should be regardless of whether Alves wins or loses to GSP - I see no reason for force Matt to work his way back up to a title shot like he's some kind of unproven amateur.

Look at Randy Couture's career, he lost the title in a freak accident to Vitor Belfort in UFC 46, won one contention fight, then immediately got another shot at the title against Chuck Liddell. He lost that fight, but only had to fight once more to get yet another chance to win the title from Chuck. He lost that fight as well, retired, then came out of retirement to an instant title shot against Tim Sylvia. If Randy doesn't have to work his way back up from the bottom, then I don't see why Matt should (especially considering how much better Matt's record is compared to Randy's).Amen to that.

lc87
06-20-2009, 05:37 PM

Look at Randy Couture's career, he lost the title in a freak accident to Vitor Belfort in UFC 46, won one contention fight, then immediately got another shot at the title against Chuck Liddell. He lost that fight, but only had to fight once more to get yet another chance to win the title from Chuck. He lost that fight as well, retired, then came out of retirement to an instant title shot against Tim Sylvia. If Randy doesn't have to work his way back up from the bottom, then I don't see why Matt should (especially considering how much better Matt's record is compared to Randy's).

I agree and if alves does become champ I don't see him beating matt again or making weight.

Play The Man
06-20-2009, 05:40 PM

I agree. Alves didn't make weight for the fight. He didn't even come close. Not cutting the weight was a tremendous advantage in that fight. I think that Mr. Hughes deserves an immediate rematch.

VCURamFan
06-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I agree. Alves didn't make weight for the fight. He didn't even come close. Not cutting the weight was a tremendous advantage in that fight. I think that Mr. Hughes deserves an immediate rematch. So few posts, & yet I agree with you so much!:laugh:

Welcome, btw, I'm Ben.

Play The Man
06-20-2009, 07:28 PM
So few posts, & yet I agree with you so much!:laugh:

Welcome, btw, I'm Ben.

Hello, Ben! I'm Gregory.

Hughes_GOAT
06-20-2009, 07:47 PM
16-9 isn't legendary but whatever. i think 16 of his UFC fights have been for the title? go figure.

VCURamFan
06-20-2009, 08:03 PM
16-9 isn't legendary but whatever. i think 16 of his UFC fights have been for the title? go figure.Yup.

UFC 13 (2nd fights wins HW tourney title)
UFC Japan - beats Maurice for HW Title
UFC 28 - beats Randleman for HW Title
UFC 31 - defends HW Title
UFC 34 - defends HW Title
UFC 36 - loses HW Title
UFC 39 - fights (but loses) for vacant HW Title
UFC 43 - beats Chuck for LHW Title
UFC 44 - beat Tito to unify LHW Title
UFC 46 - loses LHW Title
UFC 49 - beats Vitor for LHW Title
UFC 52 - loses LHW Title
UFC 57 - loses LHW Title fight
UFC 68 - beats Tim for HW Title
UFC 74 - defends HW Title
UFC 91 - loses HW TitleNot including UFC 102 vs. Nog, he's only fought 3 times without a belt on the line.

Hughes_GOAT
06-20-2009, 08:22 PM
thank you fish oil for strengthening my memory!

Liddellfan
06-20-2009, 08:52 PM
I still can't seem to get past this "rumble" Johnson comment. Was this guy serious when he said he will beat Matt or was he telling jokes? I think he needs to rethink what his statement and ask himself, 1)Who has he defeated in the top of the UFC WW division, and 2)What has he done for not just the UFC, but for the sport of MMA. He said he was upset because Matt walked by him and didn't say "what's up" back to him?? It is possible that Matt did not hear him. It just blows my mind that these yournger fighters AND new fans don't really know anything about the sport and have absolutely no respect for the legends that made this sport what it is today. Matt Hughes has won more fights and beat more top ranked fighters than rumble Johnson ever will. Seems like he got his 1 min. of fame by talking smack about Matt Hughes. He should worry about working his way up the food chain before he opens his mouth about disrespecting a legend, and most dominate WW champion of all time. That short statement proves he has no class respect for the real fighters in this sport.

adamt
06-20-2009, 08:58 PM
i think the ufc needs to get dennis hallman there and let matt avenge his fluke losses

NateR
06-20-2009, 09:12 PM
I still can't seem to get past this "rumble" Johnson comment. Was this guy serious when he said he will beat Matt or was he telling jokes? I think he needs to rethink what his statement and ask himself, 1)Who has he defeated in the top of the UFC WW division, and 2)What has he done for not just the UFC, but for the sport of MMA. He said he was upset because Matt walked by him and didn't say "what's up" back to him?? It is possible that Matt did not hear him. It just blows my mind that these yournger fighters AND new fans don't really know anything about the sport and have absolutely no respect for the legends that made this sport what it is today. Matt Hughes has won more fights and beat more top ranked fighters than rumble Johnson ever will. Seems like he got his 1 min. of fame by talking smack about Matt Hughes. He should worry about working his way up the food chain before he opens his mouth about disrespecting a legend, and most dominate WW champion of all time. That short statement proves he has no class respect for the real fighters in this sport.

There could have been a million reasons why Matt would walk by Anthony Johnson without saying "hi" to him. For him to try to take something that trivial and fabricate some kind of rivalry around it just shows how self-absorbed Johnson really is. Either way, Matt's not worried about someone like that.

Hughes_GOAT
06-20-2009, 09:33 PM
i walked by Johnson too

*shrugs*

Liddellfan
06-20-2009, 09:57 PM
i think the ufc needs to get dennis hallman there and let matt avenge his fluke losses

I believe that Matt has answered this question when it was mentioned at a UFC Q&A..He has no interest in fighting Hallman again.....ever.

Everybody knows they were fluke losses...Look where Hallman ended up and look at Matt's career.

VCURamFan
06-21-2009, 01:12 AM
i walked by Johnson too

*shrugs*Yeah, he wants you after he fights Matt.

MattHughesRocks
06-21-2009, 02:50 AM
Oh no, I'm saving Goat for Matt :mischievous:

Yeah, he wants you after he fights Matt.

Hughes_GOAT
06-21-2009, 05:15 AM
Yeah, he wants you after he fights Matt.
leave some for me Matt!!!

Hughes_GOAT
06-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Oh no, I'm saving Goat for Matt :mischievous:
not this again :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
06-21-2009, 05:22 AM
You stay out of this.Just go eat your Wheaties while I arrange this fight alright?

not this again :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
06-21-2009, 05:30 AM
You stay out of this.Just go eat your Wheaties while I arrange this fight alright?
i eat an English breakfast thank you.

MattHughesRocks
06-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Hey, I'm trying to get you a fight.Work with me here!

i eat an English breakfast thank you.

Hughes_GOAT
06-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Hey, I'm trying to get you a fight.Work with me here!
does Dana know? i'd have to cut 80-90 lbs to make 170 :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
06-21-2009, 05:37 AM
K then put down the Wheaties fatso :laugh:

does Dana know? i'd have to cut 80-90 lbs to make 170 :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
06-21-2009, 05:41 AM
K then put down the Wheaties fatso :laugh:
you know it's not fat :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
06-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Ok, just lose a few and Matt stays at his walk around weight you guys meet at...185?
Come on, work with me here :w00t:

you know it's not fat :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
06-21-2009, 05:49 AM
Ok, just lose a few and Matt stays at his walk around weight you guys meet at...185?
Come on, work with me here :w00t:
lol! i haven't weighed that since bootcamp!

MattHughesRocks
06-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Well then you have to put down the Wheaties :scared0011:

lol! i haven't weighed that since bootcamp!

Hughes_GOAT
06-21-2009, 05:57 AM
i have to put down the weights.

Bonnie
06-21-2009, 05:58 AM

It's not the Wheaties; he likes cheesecake. :Whistle:

MattHughesRocks
06-21-2009, 05:58 AM
Brcok Lesner! Perfect! What date do you want to fight him? He'll be available in just a few weeks :w00t:

i have to put down the weights.

Hughes_GOAT
06-21-2009, 06:04 AM
Brcok Lesner! Perfect! What date do you want to fight him? He'll be available in just a few weeks :w00t:
cool, but i get Fedor and Machida in my corner!

Hughes_GOAT
06-21-2009, 06:05 AM
It's not the Wheaties; he likes cheesecake. :Whistle:
mmmmm

Tyburn
06-21-2009, 09:35 PM
I vote winner of GSP/Alves...the UFC love to fast-track...isnt it about time they did it to someone truely and undeniably worthy of a Title shot :huh:

Hughes fan 04
06-29-2009, 03:48 AM
I would love to see matt fight the spider for his last fight that would shut all the bad talkers up when his hand is up in the air at the end... he wouldnt have to lose a pound

MMeh
06-29-2009, 05:21 AM
I voted FItch because that would be one heck of a #1 contender fight. Swick has potential, but I think he needs another win before he's in the mix for the belt, and outside GSP/Alves, Matt and Fitch are far and away the best options at 170. Still, I was tempted to say loser of GSP vs. Alves, because that will be Alves and I'd like to see him fight Matt when he's not coming in at MW:angry: Rolled ankle my butt:punch:

que
06-29-2009, 05:40 AM
i voted fitch too because he is one of the closest ones to a title shot (although swick koscheck are close too)

i really have absolutely no interest in seeing hughes vs gsp IV but i would love to see hughes vs alves II

rearnakedchoke
06-29-2009, 03:01 PM
i say the winner of fitch/thiago

Curran Jacobs
07-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I believe that Matt is still the greatest Fighter in UFC History, or any History of MMA for that matter. I also believe that he can compete against any one and be victorious. Out of the options given, I think that Matt would match up well against Swick. Swick is in his prime right now and many people are already saying how he is on his way to a title shot. I think Matt Hughes could put Swick in his place; (Swick's wrestling is pathetic when compared to the Master of the Ground Game). So that would be my choice. Yet, in all honesty, Matt Hughes would never turn down a fight and if Dana White has someone lined up, I know that Matt would take it happily and willingly - and come out on Top, once again. He IS and ALWAYS WILL BE, the Greatest Champion in the World.

rearnakedchoke
07-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Matt says he would never fight for anyone other than the UFC .... If he was offered $1mill to fight Jake Shields, do you think he would do it? Get revenge for Robbie and pocket some nice dough? I think he would go to Dana to see if he could put it together first ... but what do you think he would do if Dana couldn't do it?

hughest4
07-12-2009, 08:08 PM
By just looking at the poll you can see there are a lot of great possible matchups for Matt Hughes. As much as i love watching him fight, i still don't think he should get a title shot right away.

A lot of you might disagree with this idea, but what about him fighting Dan Hardy in the UK. If Matt wins, its a very solid win that will help him gain a title shot....and if he loses, it will give another UK guy a huge push and i'm sure thats exactly what Dana White and the UFC want.

NateR
07-12-2009, 08:15 PM
By just looking at the poll you can see there are a lot of great possible matchups for Matt Hughes. As much as i love watching him fight, i still don't think he should get a title shot right away.

A lot of you might disagree with this idea, but what about him fighting Dan Hardy in the UK. If Matt wins, its a very solid win that will help him gain a title shot....and if he loses, it will give another UK guy a huge push and i'm sure thats exactly what Dana White and the UFC want.

I don't know, the last two times that Matt took a fight as a favor to the UFC it backfired on him pretty big. He took the last GSP fight on only a month's notice after Matt Serra had to drop out due to a back injury. He also took the Thiago Alves fight with only 6 weeks notice after the Chuck Liddell headliner for the London event was cancelled. He lost both fights pretty decisively, so I Matt needs to focus on his career and not be doing the UFC any more favors.

Again, if Randy Couture didn't have to fight his way back up to title shots, then why should Matt? Especially since Matt's MMA record is so much better than Randy's.

hughest4
07-12-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't know, the last two times that Matt took a fight as a favor to the UFC it backfired on him pretty big. He took the last GSP fight on only a month's notice after Matt Serra had to drop out due to a back injury. He also took the Thiago Alves fight with only 6 weeks notice after the Chuck Liddell headliner for the London event was cancelled. He lost both fights pretty decisively, so I Matt needs to focus on his career and not be doing the UFC any more favors.

Again, if Randy Couture didn't have to fight his way back up to title shots, then why should Matt? Especially since Matt's MMA record is so much better than Randy's.

I don't think the whole Randy Couture situation is the right way to go about things to be honest. I hate to say it but Matt did not look good against GSP, Alves, and even Serra to some extent. I think Matt has gas left in the tank, but i think he needs another win before getting a title shot.

I don't think fighting a guy like Dan Hardy would be doing the UFC a favor. If he loses it would definitely help out the UFC, but if he won then it would help him out as well. It would give Matt another good win against an up an coming star(or atleast thats what i see Hardy as)

Llamafighter
07-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think the whole Randy Couture situation is the right way to go about things to be honest. I hate to say it but Matt did not look good against GSP, Alves, and even Serra to some extent. I think Matt has gas left in the tank, but i think he needs another win before getting a title shot.

I don't think fighting a guy like Dan Hardy would be doing the UFC a favor. If he loses it would definitely help out the UFC, but if he won then it would help him out as well. It would give Matt another good win against an up an coming star(or atleast thats what i see Hardy as)

Seeing as how he pulled off a win against Serra after almost getting KO'd by a headbutt and then a shot to the back of the head, I think he did phenomenal. He took Serra down whenever he wanted and caved in the side of hid face. Without that head butt I think that Matt would have finished the fight. IMO.

hughest4
07-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Seeing as how he pulled off a win against Serra after almost getting KO'd by a headbutt and then a shot to the back of the head, I think he did phenomenal. He took Serra down whenever he wanted and caved in the side of hid face. Without that head butt I think that Matt would have finished the fight. IMO.

Could be the case, but we will never know.

Either way i still think he is another win away from a title shot.

rearnakedchoke
07-12-2009, 09:20 PM

dude .. couture got KO'd in his last fight, retired and then got offered a title shot at the higher weight class .... matt deserves a title shot .. he is better competition than swick or kampmann

hughest4
07-12-2009, 09:33 PM
dude .. couture got KO'd in his last fight, retired and then got offered a title shot at the higher weight class .... matt deserves a title shot .. he is better competition than swick or kampmann

Yes, i realize that...i just don't think Couture deserved that opportunity.

rearnakedchoke
07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Yes, i realize that...i just don't think Couture deserved that opportunity.
well, the precident was set when dana gave randy that fight ... so we have to go on that ... imo matt beat serra the former champ ... he deserves a shot at the title before swick or kampmann

Mike1983
08-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I voted for the loser of GSP/Alves. I though I remembered Matt saying he'd like a rematch with Alves....I think if he gets past Alves and finishes him in the fight they should definitely consider giving him another shot at the title. I know not many people want to see a GSP vs. Hughes 4 but in all honesty I don't think anyone is left in the WW division that can take the belt away from GSP other than Matt.

Hughes GOAT....LOVE that picture in your signature!