PDA

View Full Version : Eyebrow Surgery

J.B.
06-16-2009, 12:06 AM
For a while now, I have had this little lump on the side of my right eyebrow. At first I thought is was a pimple, but then it did not go away and never came to a head. It was just...there. I was never injured in that spot, or anything, I just woke up one morning with a little bump.

So, I went to a doctor a while back, and he told me it was nothing, and that he could take care of it on the spot for the cost of an office visit (like a $120). He even offered to do it right then, but I opted not to because I had other plans that night and I did not want to be all loopy from the numbing agent.

I put it off, and one thing led to another and I just have not had the extra money to spare on something so small and what really just seemed cosmetic. However, in the last couple months the band I am currently in has really started picking up steam and getting booked in a lot of great local venues. We are doing a new cd, and have been doing more promotional crap, like photos and videos. So, needless to say, the more shallow part of my brain kicked in and told me that it's time for the lump to be gone. :laugh:

Well, I made an appointment, and today I went back to the dermatology office I visited before, except this time I saw a different doctor. This guys tells me that it is a cyst, and that it could be cancerous. Okay, now, I'm starting to think, that sucks. Then he says that there is a big nerve that controls all the muscles in my forehead under there and that when they remove it, there is a possibility that I could lose control of the muscles in my forehead. Then he went on to tell me that IF that happened, they could repair it with BOTOX....:w00t: At that point, I have to admit, I started getting a little worried. I know it's relatively minor, but that still freaked me out.... I don't want no damn botox :laugh: He also told me that I would definitely be left with a scar, so that's just great.

THEN on top of it, he hit me with the REAL cost of this procedure! :laugh:

I don't have insurance, and I am paying out of pocket, so he cut me a break on the cost, but it's still gonna be about $700 bucks. Which sucks, because he could have told me that up front before he hit me with the "it might be cancerous" line :laugh:

NateR
06-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Sounds like the other doctor was just planning to slice if off with a straight razor and give you a couple of aspirin. :blink:

If two doctors gave you such extremely differing diagnoses, then you should probably go for a third opinion and explain to the third doctor what both of the previous doctors had told you.

J.B.
06-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Sounds like the other doctor was just planning to slice if off with a straight razor and give you a couple of aspirin. :blink:

If two doctors gave you such extremely differing diagnoses, then you should probably go for a third opinion and explain to the third doctor what both of the previous doctors had told you.

That's what I am kinda thinking too, however this dermatology clinic is pretty much the most respected one in my area. If I go up north, there are some better ones, but obviously that's gonna cost more money.

I actually kinda think the doctor I saw today knows what he is talking about, and I am glad I did not completely take what the first doctor said to heart. Because, I really got the impression the first time that this was no big deal, and in fact there was one night about a year ago when I had been drinking and I was seriously considering cutting it off myself (I know that sounds horrible, but it's true) :laugh:

I did a little research on it, and it seems that it's fairly common, and not too big of a deal. I'm just glad that I actually know how serious it could be now, and did not do anything stupid, like cut it off myself.

You know what else is crazy too, he told me that he is charging me HALF the cost of what it would normally be, just because I am paying out of pocket. Doesn't that seem a bit messed up? I mean, just think how many doctors are severely overcharging the insurance industry, just because they can. Heck, to get two asprin at the local hospital it will cost you like ten bucks! That is crazy! No wonder things are so messed up. We don't need the government to run the system, we just need people to stop being so damn greedy.

NateR
06-16-2009, 12:44 AM
That's what I am kinda thinking too, however this dermatology clinic is pretty much the most respected one in my area. If I go up north, there are some better ones, but obviously that's gonna cost more money.

I actually kinda think the doctor I saw today knows what he is talking about, and I am glad I did not completely take what the first doctor said to heart. Because, I really got the impression the first time that this was no big deal, and in fact there was one night about a year ago when I had been drinking and I was seriously considering cutting it off myself (I know that sounds horrible, but it's true) :laugh:

I did a little research on it, and it seems that it's fairly common, and not too big of a deal. I'm just glad that I actually know how serious it could be now, and did not do anything stupid, like cut it off myself.

You know what else is crazy too, he told me that he is charging me HALF the cost of what it would normally be, just because I am paying out of pocket. Doesn't that seem a bit messed up? I mean, just think how many doctors are severely overcharging the insurance industry, just because they can. Heck, to get two asprin at the local hospital it will cost you like ten bucks! That is crazy! No wonder things are so messed up. We don't need the government to run the system, we just need people to stop being so damn greedy.

Greedy doctors, more interested in filling their wallet than helping people, are the primary reason that our healthcare system is in the mess that it is. I learned that lesson years ago.

J.B.
06-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Greedy doctors, more interested in filling their wallet than helping people, are the primary reason that our healthcare system is in the mess that it is. I learned that lesson years ago.

Yeah, you know that Mercedes ain't gonna drive itself! :laugh:

They also have to pay back the bigillion-dollar college loan they got from the government to go to school for ten years.

Oh yeah, my appointment was at 1:15, I showed up at 12:50, the doctor saw me at 2:20. I paid $120 just for him to TELL me that after sitting on my butt for an hour and a half...none of that money goes towards the actual surgery. :angry:

logrus
06-16-2009, 01:51 AM
You just wont be the same without that unibrow man...

J.B.
06-16-2009, 01:55 AM
You just wont be the same without that unibrow man...

Nice try, but this bad boy is resting closer to the temple! :laugh:

That unibrow look is just my angry scowl...I used to be a happy-go-lucky kid, until I started having to deal with liberals!

atomdanger
06-16-2009, 02:32 AM

Definitely.

J.B.
06-16-2009, 02:36 AM
Definitely.

I actually just talked to Mom about it and she told me that my Dad had the same thing back when they were married. So I called him and he said that he just popped his open and that was that. No scar, it never came back, nothing.

Now I am convinced I need a third opinion, because if there is one thing I know, it's that my father never learned any lessons the easy way! :laugh:

Primadawn
06-16-2009, 02:55 AM

Actually, from working in the medical field on the billing/insurance sides for so long, I can tell you that it's generally greedy PATIENTS who are a little to litigation-happy that are to blame for the high cost of medical care.
I can't tell you how many doctors I know who have left the field due to being unable to pay their malpractice insurance.

rockdawg21
06-16-2009, 03:04 AM
Greedy doctors, more interested in filling their wallet than helping people, are the primary reason that our "health""care" system is in the mess that it is. I learned that lesson years ago.
Those 2 terms have become an oxymoron.

Sorry to hear that JB, I'll be sure to keep you in my prayers!

J.B.
06-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Actually, from working in the medical field on the billing/insurance sides for so long, I can tell you that it's generally greedy PATIENTS who are a little to litigation-happy that are to blame for the high cost of medical care.
I can't tell you how many doctors I know who have left the field due to being unable to pay their malpractice insurance.

That is very true also, I know a good doctor from the area who had to retire because he could not afford the cost of the malpractice insurance. He was a very good doctor too,

Still, I think what I brought up does come into question, does it not? I mean, how can the doctor justify giving me the procedure at "half" the cost because I am paying out of pocket? Does that kind of extra charging not drive up the cost of insurance? Or, is the doctor just lying to me? :unsure-1:

logrus
06-16-2009, 03:07 AM
I actually just talked to Mom about it and she told me that my Dad had the same thing back when they were married. So I called him and he said that he just popped his open and that was that. No scar, it never came back, nothing.

Now I am convinced I need a third opinion, because if there is one thing I know, it's that my father never learned any lessons the easy way! :laugh:

My old man was the same way, wonder if we are related :scared0011:

J.B.
Those 2 terms have become an oxymoron.

Sorry to hear that JB, I'll be sure to keep you in my prayers!

Thanks Rocko! :)

(kinda like Rocky's brother-in-law, I've decided that's what I'm gonna call you from now on!) :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
Well do it soon ( get the third opion) and let us know soon what it's going to cost. Perhaps I can hustle up some money amongst us forum peeps to help pay for it .They don't call me "The Hustler" for nothing http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/18ya.gif

:)

J.B.
06-16-2009, 03:08 AM
My old man was the same way, wonder if we are related :scared0011:

Oh Lord... :laugh:

J.B.
06-16-2009, 03:09 AM
Well do it soon ( get the third opion) and let us know soon what it's going to cost. Perhaps I can hustle up some money amongst us forum peeps to help pay for it .They don't call me "The Hustler" for nothing http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/skysrock/18ya.gif

:)

:laugh:

That's mighty cool, uz a hustla! :)

I will be fine though, just a minor setback is all, no big deal!

MattHughesRocks
06-16-2009, 03:18 AM
Ok well then everyone send me money so that I can go to the mall! :w00t:

But really...keep us posted:wink:

:laugh:

That's mighty cool, uz a hustla! :)

I will be fine though, just a minor setback is all, no big deal!

J.B.
06-16-2009, 03:21 AM
Ok well then everyone send me money so that I can go to the mall! :w00t:

But really...keep us posted:wink:

I will :wink:

What are you gonna buy at the...wait a minute.. dumb question...:laugh:

logrus
06-16-2009, 04:45 AM
Here you go JB lol

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/06/11/teen.self.diagnosis/index.html#cnnSTCText

NateR
06-16-2009, 04:57 AM

Well, medical billing is kind of a sore subject for me. Because I've had two nightmare scenarios concerning that in my family.

First my mom is an epileptic and she was in the hospital once for an unusually bad series of seizures. Unfortunately one of the nurses accidentally gave her a double dose of medication and it almost killed her. They had to pump her stomach and she stayed in the hospital an extra week because of that nurse's mistake. However, that didn't stop the hospital from charging my parents for almost killing my mom and the extra days in the hospital. And when my dad couldn't pay, it didn't stop the hospital from reporting it to a collections agency and ruining my dad's credit.

Secondly, my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer, but she had it removed via surgery and everything seemed fine. As a precaution, the doctor put her on estrogen blockers and, a few weeks later, those pills gave her a heart attack and killed her. But my family still had to pay for the surgery and the treatment which ultimately led to my grandmother's death. To add insult to injury, the hospital even charged for the pills that killed her.

So, I have zero faith in doctors and our health care system.

Primadawn
06-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Well, medical billing is kind of a sore subject for me. Because I've had two nightmare scenarios concerning that in my family.

First my mom is an epileptic and she was in the hospital once for an unusually bad series of seizures. Unfortunately one of the nurses accidentally gave her a double dose of medication and it almost killed her. They had to pump her stomach and she stayed in the hospital an extra week because of that nurse's mistake. However, that didn't stop the hospital from charging my parents for almost killing my mom and the extra days in the hospital. And when my dad couldn't pay, it didn't stop the hospital from reporting it to a collections agency and ruining my dad's credit.

Secondly, my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer, but she had it removed via surgery and everything seemed fine. As a precaution, the doctor put her on estrogen blockers and, a few weeks later, those pills gave her a heart attack and killed her. But my family still had to pay for the surgery and the treatment which ultimately led to my grandmother's death. To add insult to injury, the hospital even charged for the pills that killed her.

So, I have zero faith in doctors and our health care system.

Wow. In your mother's case--that was a legitimate lawsuit! Did your family dispute these charges?
Our friend had a similar situation--she had surgery and they left a clamp inside her! And they GAVE HER the xrays showing it! And THEN they tried to charge her for the 2nd surgery to remove the clamp!!! She went to their legal department and said, "Look, I know everyone makes mistakes...that's why I wasn't GOING to sue you. But if the charges for the 2nd surgery don't disappear, I'm leaving here with this xray and going straight to the sleaziest ambulance chaser I can find!" And of course...they wrote off the charges.
It's often just not communicated...the billing department only gets the codes--usually doesn't see the medical records unless there's some sort of dispute--so they bill what they're told. Having worked on both sides--both for the hospital and the insurance company--I'm the billing department's worst nightmare now.
If you put charges in dispute--they will put a hold on the account so that it doesn't go to collections or affect your credit.

Primadawn
06-16-2009, 05:22 AM
That is very true also, I know a good doctor from the area who had to retire because he could not afford the cost of the malpractice insurance. He was a very good doctor too,

Still, I think what I brought up does come into question, does it not? I mean, how can the doctor justify giving me the procedure at "half" the cost because I am paying out of pocket? Does that kind of extra charging not drive up the cost of insurance? Or, is the doctor just lying to me? :unsure-1:

JB, here's the deal--doctors and hospitals have different contracts with different insurance companies that participate with them. So for the same surgery, they'll "charge" say $1400--they might have a contract with Blue Cross where they accept $900 as payment in full and they write the rest off. But then their contract with Aetna might say that they accept $1000...and say $750 from United Healthcare. So they're not getting the full amount from the insurance companies either--but they set the charge high enough to negotiate from. Plus, they're required to accept a certain percentage of Medicaid patients and they have to accept the Medicaid set rate for each procedure. I used to bill for sleep studies--which were charged at $1300 and I kid you not, Medicaid only paid 67 cents! So, we're all basically making up for that too.
If your doctor is part of a larger group--like around here it's United Health Svcs.--you may have Kaiser, etc....call their billing office--a lot of them--especially hospitals with a religious affiliation--have sliding scales based on your income and almost all of them will set you up on a payment plan so you don't have to come up with all of the money at once.

Bonnie
06-16-2009, 05:38 AM
JB definitely go get that third opinion. That's scary that you would get two different diagnoses from two doctors who are in the same group/clinic. Not only that, if what the 2nd one told you is true, you want to be doubly sure you have someone who is competent and won't leave you with nerve damage.

Maybe you could check with an ENT/Facial Reconstruction doctor or even a neurosurgeon. They know their stuff regarding all those nerves in your face. I'm not saying make appointments, but maybe call and ask to speak with the doctor's nurse and explain your situation and the two different opinions you've gotten and your concerns. If they feel they aren't the right doctor for you, they may be able to direct you to the right place.

Btw, do dermatologists specialize, like say some who just do cancer of the skin, or do they all handle every skin condition generally? That may be another thing to check into.

Good luck and I'll say prayers for God to guide you to the right people to help you. :)

J.B.
06-16-2009, 09:19 AM
JB, here's the deal--doctors and hospitals have different contracts with different insurance companies that participate with them. So for the same surgery, they'll "charge" say $1400--they might have a contract with Blue Cross where they accept $900 as payment in full and they write the rest off. But then their contract with Aetna might say that they accept $1000...and say $750 from United Healthcare. So they're not getting the full amount from the insurance companies either--but they set the charge high enough to negotiate from. Plus, they're required to accept a certain percentage of Medicaid patients and they have to accept the Medicaid set rate for each procedure. I used to bill for sleep studies--which were charged at $1300 and I kid you not, Medicaid only paid 67 cents! So, we're all basically making up for that too.
If your doctor is part of a larger group--like around here it's United Health Svcs.--you may have Kaiser, etc....call their billing office--a lot of them--especially hospitals with a religious affiliation--have sliding scales based on your income and almost all of them will set you up on a payment plan so you don't have to come up with all of the money at once.

See, thats what bothers me...

In the streets thats called BEING SHADY... :laugh:

You can't really make an argument that "insurance companies are not paying the FULL price either". when the FULL price is a rip off in the first place... :laugh:

Really, how can the Doc justify giving me ONE price, and a person with insurance ANOTHER?

My guess is that it's JUST LIKE the streets, if you got the CASH UP FRONT, it's less of a hassle. Less paperwork and MUCH easier to deal with. Everybody knows that CASH is the best, hence, I get a better deal...just my opinion... :laugh:

J.B.
06-16-2009, 09:26 AM
JB definitely go get that third opinion. That's scary that you would get two different diagnoses from two doctors who are in the same group/clinic. Not only that, if what the 2nd one told you is true, you want to be doubly sure you have someone who is competent and won't leave you with nerve damage.

Maybe you could check with an ENT/Facial Reconstruction doctor or even a neurosurgeon. They know their stuff regarding all those nerves in your face. I'm not saying make appointments, but maybe call and ask to speak with the doctor's nurse and explain your situation and the two different opinions you've gotten and your concerns. If they feel they aren't the right doctor for you, they may be able to direct you to the right place.

Btw, do dermatologists specialize, like say some who just do cancer of the skin, or do they all handle every skin condition generally? That may be another thing to check into.

Good luck and I'll say prayers for God to guide you to the right people to help you. :)

Thank you Bonnie, I TRULY appreciate it! :)

Primadawn
06-16-2009, 04:51 PM
See, thats what bothers me...

In the streets thats called BEING SHADY... :laugh:

You can't really make an argument that "insurance companies are not paying the FULL price either". when the FULL price is a rip off in the first place... :laugh:

Really, how can the Doc justify giving me ONE price, and a person with insurance ANOTHER?

My guess is that it's JUST LIKE the streets, if you got the CASH UP FRONT, it's less of a hassle. Less paperwork and MUCH easier to deal with. Everybody knows that CASH is the best, hence, I get a better deal...just my opinion... :laugh:

Oh yeah--I totally agree! Kind of like when stores sell things on clearance...you know they're still making a profit on it, but it's 70% off regular price...so....how much is it REALLY worth?:angry:

J.B.
06-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh yeah--I totally agree! Kind of like when stores sell things on clearance...you know they're still making a profit on it, but it's 70% off regular price...so....how much is it REALLY worth?:angry:

Damn greedy people! :angry:

Jonlion
06-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Hope it all works out for your my friend!

I feel them frustrations, i feel every visit to my Dentist isnt to car for my teeth but just her excuse to print more money.

i was talking to a Doctor the other day who conducts Cancer Research at Kings College and it was sickening some of the stuff he had to say. The things they have to pay for out of there own pocket and the fact that they are set targets to recieve funding, meaning proper work is abandoned to make the progress that look good short term.

Its all just a business

Neezar
06-17-2009, 06:17 AM
For a while now, I have had this little lump on the side of my right eyebrow.

How big is the lump, JB?

Do your friends do something like this yet? :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhNBS3CtYbY