PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Camera

rearnakedchoke
06-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Ok, so I am looking to get a DSLR, I am newto this. I have been doing some research and think I am gonna go with a Nikon D90 with a 18-200mm AS/F lens .. anyone have one of these or heard anything about them?

mikthehick
06-11-2009, 08:56 PM
That's funny because I need to get a DSLR for fights since my current digital sucks. How much are you looking to spend? I've been searching on Bestbuy.com and a local store called Crutchfield here in town, and I'll be honest, I'm more confused than anything about now....

atomdanger
06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Ok, so I am looking to get a DSLR, I am newto this. I have been doing some research and think I am gonna go with a Nikon D90 with a 18-200mm AS/F lens .. anyone have one of these or heard anything about them?

I use / love / cuddle my d90.

Best DSLR for your buck, esp if you're just getting going in photography,
or if you're just a "hobby" photographer.

Really, no complaints here. I have a d90 with nothing special,
and Photoshop CS3 Extended Full and I can do anything I can imagine.

Good choice, very good choice, I could go on for days.

Oh, and you're probably going to spend around 1K.

NateR
06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
That's funny because I need to get a DSLR for fights since my current digital sucks. How much are you looking to spend? I've been searching on Bestbuy.com and a local store called Crutchfield here in town, and I'll be honest, I'm more confused than anything about now....

Unless, you get some sort of media credentials, you're not going to be allowed to take an SLR camera into a fighting event. I know the UFC is very strict about that.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and I've had no real complaints with it at all. I just wish I had better lenses for it.

atomdanger
06-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Unless, you get some sort of media credentials, you're not going to be allowed to take an SLR camera into a fighting event. I know the UFC is very strict about that.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and I've had no real complaints with it at all. I just wish I had better lenses for it.

Really? But they will allow point and shoots?

NateR
06-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Really? But they will allow point and shoots?

Point n shoots are fine simply because their quality is crap. Anything with interchangeable lenses is not allowed, simply because the UFC doesn't want thousands of people taking hi-quality photos with a telephoto lens from the stands.

Anyone whose been to a UFC event knows that they inspect your bags before entering the venue. SLRs and video cameras are what they are looking for.

Llamafighter
06-11-2009, 10:20 PM

Yeah your pictures turn out alright :wink:

rearnakedchoke
06-11-2009, 10:47 PM
i think the d90 with the lense i am looking for goes for around 1400 up here, so that is not bad, i mean i don't plan on buying a dslr often, so i figure that is what i would get ...

rearnakedchoke
06-11-2009, 10:49 PM

cool, good to hear ... do you have the 15-105 lens? i was told to get alens with VR ... so i don't know just yet ... thanks for the input ...

rearnakedchoke
06-11-2009, 10:50 PM

oh, and how is the video .. not that i am buying it for the video, but just wanted to know what you thought of the quality ...

atomdanger
06-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Point n shoots are fine simply because their quality is crap. Anything with interchangeable lenses is not allowed, simply because the UFC doesn't want thousands of people taking hi-quality photos with a telephoto lens from the stands.

Anyone whose been to a UFC event knows that they inspect your bags before entering the venue. SLRs and video cameras are what they are looking for.

That makes sense.

atomdanger
06-11-2009, 11:05 PM
cool, good to hear ... do you have the 15-105 lens? i was told to get alens with VR ... so i don't know just yet ... thanks for the input ...

I got the 18-105mm VR Lens that came with it.
I have yet to venture out and buy another lense, but I've been wanting to

atomdanger
06-11-2009, 11:06 PM
oh, and how is the video .. not that i am buying it for the video, but just wanted to know what you thought of the quality ...

Honestly I have never taken video with it.
I have a Sony Camcorder than burns right to dvd,
and I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to edit video.

Sorry.

mikthehick
06-12-2009, 08:41 PM

Nate, I am aware about the UFC stuff. They only apparently allowed the digital cameras, but that's it for the regular people.

Now for the local fights here in Virginia, my friend Tammy (a photographer) and I always email and get permission before we bring her equipment to fights. I usually stand there and take notes, but we are looking to have some more angles around the cage. Usually the promoters are fine with having the extra lenses. And now, a year later, we know most of them personally.

If yall go to www.charlottesvillemma.blogspot.com, scroll down the list and you'll see some of Tammy's work from our last Brawley fight. She uses 3 difference lenses with her shots.