PDA

View Full Version : Joe Rogan

TheConcretekid
02-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Normally Joe Rogan is a great announcer, the best in my opinion. Bas and Mir often pick favorites, but Joe normally stays neutral, until last night.

I feel that he was favoriting BJ the entire fight, even when GSP was domination him.

I don't have any exact quotes but I remember them being something like this:

"Man, BJ's takedown defense is just top notch, he is has such great balance it's almost impossible to take him dow... ok GSP just got the take down."

"Ok now we'll see BJ's flexibility come into play as he attempts to get back into guard. Alright, now watch BJ's foot, it's amazing, he'll try and put it.... ok BJ eating some elbows here. But watch Penn as he slides his... Ok GSP raining down some fists..."

At one point GSP was in half guard, he postured up and hit BJ with a huge right, and inadvertently fell into full guard and Joe's exact quote was:

"Wow, you can really see how this sport has evolved, people cheer when BJ returned to guard."

No Joe, they were cheering BJ getting his face smashed.
He was so preoccupied with BJ's amazing guard that he missed GSP's haymaker.

Just something I noticed that bothered me a little bit.
Anyone else?

On an unrelated note: I also noticed Clay Guida, while in his corner between rounds, turning his head and burping... like a big one... after each round. What is that all about? How does fighting make you burp?

Champ2be
02-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Well Joe is a big fan, so obviously he wanted someone to win the fight. That's just the way he commentates. I really didnt notice it too much. I just remember him saying that GSP was the new breed of MMA and if you want to be a great fighter then GSP is the prototype for the MMA fighter. Sounds like you were just focused on what he was saying about BJ and not so much on GSP, b/c he sounded in awe when he beating BJ to me.

TheConcretekid
02-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Man, I was so preoccupied with Joe being preoccupied with BJ that I didn't complement Joe for complementing GSP :blink:

Irish Pride
02-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I remember him giving GSP many compliments too about his wrestling ability, and how amazing he was to pass BJ's guard with ease.

Spiritwalker
02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Normally Joe Rogan is a great announcer, the best in my opinion. Bas and Mir often pick favorites, but Joe normally stays neutral, until last night.

I feel that he was favoriting BJ the entire fight, even when GSP was domination him.

I don't have any exact quotes but I remember them being something like this:

"Man, BJ's takedown defense is just top notch, he is has such great balance it's almost impossible to take him dow... ok GSP just got the take down."

"Ok now we'll see BJ's flexibility come into play as he attempts to get back into guard. Alright, now watch BJ's foot, it's amazing, he'll try and put it.... ok BJ eating some elbows here. But watch Penn as he slides his... Ok GSP raining down some fists..."

At one point GSP was in half guard, he postured up and hit BJ with a huge right, and inadvertently fell into full guard and Joe's exact quote was:

"Wow, you can really see how this sport has evolved, people cheer when BJ returned to guard."

No Joe, they were cheering BJ getting his face smashed.
He was so preoccupied with BJ's amazing guard that he missed GSP's haymaker.

Just something I noticed that bothered me a little bit.
Anyone else?

I thought he was hugging Baby Jays sack a little myself.. but everyone favors someone..

On an unrelated note: I also noticed Clay Guida, while in his corner between rounds, turning his head and burping... like a big one... after each round. What is that all about? How does fighting make you burp?

Too much water..Swallowing when you breat.... Ask Big Timmy!!!! I laughed my head off when he did that in the Randy fight.. "Brrrrrruuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrraaaaaaaap!... What round is it?"

billythekid2000
02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
I thought that Joe gave a fair, unbiased commentary. And at the end of the PPV, he even said that he thought GSP is now #1 P4P.

County Mike
02-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Rogan typically seems to favor the jiu jitsu guys. It's nothing new (even though GSP is also a black belt, it's not what he's known for).

rockdawg21
02-02-2009, 01:22 AM
From what I can tell, Rogan is a huge fan of BJ and GSP. Maybe leaning a bit more toward BJ, but it's not as if Rogan was exaggerating BJ's abilities.

matthughesfan21
02-02-2009, 03:39 AM
Man, I was so preoccupied with Joe being preoccupied with BJ that I didn't complement Joe for complementing GSP :blink:a little bit of selective hearing possibly?

que
02-02-2009, 03:42 AM
i disagree. i remember noticing during the live fight that rogan favorered GSP. i rewatched it and i was right.

the first round he spent talking mostly about BJ and his crazy flexibility. that makes sense because GSP spent the entire first round trying to take BJ down and he couldn't.

rounds 2,3,4 rogan was talking mostly about GSP and everything he said about GSP was praising his skills.

TheConcretekid
02-02-2009, 02:16 PM
rounds 2,3,4 rogan was talking mostly about GSP and everything he said about GSP was praising his skills.

I agree towards the end he was praising GSP, and after the fight said he was a legend and everything, but in the begining, when it was a fair fight, with no real fighter apearing to have the advantage, when everything was even, Rogan was nuthugging BJ like Clay Guida was hugging Nate Diaz.

rearnakedchoke
02-02-2009, 02:35 PM
joe has always had his favourites and BJ is at the top of that list ... karo is also on that list and he was loving him yesterday

rockdawg21
02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
joe has always had his favourites and BJ is at the top of that list ... karo is also on that list and he was loving him yesterday
Yeah, he's a Karo nuthugger for sure.

bradwright
02-02-2009, 05:47 PM
well i think Rogan is only human and he is going to lean a bit toward the fighter from his country pretty much like anybody would do but in the end he is going to call the fight like he see's it not the way he wished he would have seen it,,
hard to fault a guy that seems to me is more into MMA then some of the fighters,,

rearnakedchoke
02-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah, he's a Karo nuthugger for sure.

remember the gsp/karo fight ... LOL ... he was like the whole time, karo this, karo that and gsp was still new at the time i think making his ufc debut and even though karo lost all three rounds, the way rogan was talking about him was like he was a god ...

rockdawg21
02-02-2009, 07:23 PM
remember the gsp/karo fight ... LOL ... he was like the whole time, karo this, karo that and gsp was still new at the time i think making his ufc debut and even though karo lost all three rounds, the way rogan was talking about him was like he was a god ...
LOL, yeah, I remember that. All the while, Karo was getting beat. Oh well, the judo throws sure are cool to watch!

Tyburn
02-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I dont like Rogan. :angry:

Crisco
02-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I dont like Rogan. :angry:

For what he is he is alright

Tyburn
02-02-2009, 09:13 PM
For what he is he is alright
:blink:

Pardon? are you asking me why I dislike him...or saying you dont care for my opinion

or both :laugh:

TexasRN
02-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I like Rogan. He makes me laugh. And it sure beats listening to Tito! Rogan is friends with Karo, trains with him some. So of course he's a little biased. I'm ok with it. (not that ya'll care. LOL)

~Amy

Preach
02-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Rogan adds alot to the UFC look how bad Mir does.

TexasRN
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Rogan adds alot to the UFC look how bad Mir does.

Haha, I like Mir's commentating too. :laugh:

~Amy

Preach
02-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Haha, I like Mir's commentating too. :laugh:

~Amy

I hate Mir he can't pronounce anything.

Mir- Look at Jens he gots the wizzor.

Really who says gots

TexasRN
02-02-2009, 10:42 PM

Really who says gots

I can't help it, I still like him. At least he isn't that weird sounding dude from Affliction. Or Tito. :laugh: I guess I just don't have high standards when it comes to announcers.

~Amy

Bonnie
02-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I like Joe, okay, but sometimes I wish he would NOT comment on every single move throughout the fight. I would like to enjoy the fight(s) without hearing his voice throughout the whole thing. :headache:

Like, Amy, I do like Mir's commentating. :)

Primadawn
02-02-2009, 11:12 PM
I like Rogan. He makes me laugh. And it sure beats listening to Tito! Rogan is friends with Karo, trains with him some. So of course he's a little biased. I'm ok with it. (not that ya'll care. LOL)

~Amy

Amy: I don't care.

:tongue0011: :laugh: :tongue0011:

Primadawn
02-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't mind Joe, but it makes me laugh that he's always predicting what the guys are going to do and then they never do it! :laugh:

Frank Mir---don't even get me started...from his pronunciation of the word "guillotine" to his jittery, hair-shaking movements when he's doing an after-fight interview...argh...

TexasRN
02-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Amy: I don't care.

:tongue0011: :laugh: :tongue0011:

:scared0011: Yes you do. I know you do. :laugh:

~Amy

Primadawn
02-03-2009, 12:26 AM
:scared0011: Yes you do. I know you do. :laugh:

~Amy

You're right. I do. Maybe that's my problem..I CARE too much...:laugh:

TexasRN
02-03-2009, 12:32 AM
You're right. I do. Maybe that's my problem..I CARE too much...:laugh:

You're such a woman. :wink: I care too. Too much about this place I think.

~Amy

atomdanger
02-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Did you really say Joe stays nuetral??? WTF

Joe Rogan climbs up and kisses more butts than any other annoucer,
I cannot count the number of times he just goes off about one guy and not the other.

I like him, but in my opinion he rarely remains completely nuetral.

rearnakedchoke
02-03-2009, 01:11 AM

Really who says gots

LOL ... he can't even pronounce his own name ... .Is it Mear or is it Murr ... in an early UFC he introduced himself as Murr and now it is Mear ...

atomdanger
02-03-2009, 01:16 AM
LOL ... he can't even pronounce his own name ... .Is it Mear or is it Murr ... in an early UFC he introduced himself as Murr and now it is Mear ...

lol hahaha

Yeah, I don't think anybody loves how Frank talks,
and whats with Dana always mentioning how he is good looking?

Primadawn
02-03-2009, 02:43 AM
lol hahaha

Yeah, I don't think anybody loves how Frank talks,
and whats with Dana always mentioning how he is good looking?

Dana covets Frank's hair!

Spiritwalker
02-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Dana covets Frank's hair!

Well.. so do I....

medic92
02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I like Rogan. His knowledge of the fight game is top-notch and it's glaringly obvious that he's not just some guy there to provide commentary, he's a huge fan and advocate of MMA. Anyone who remembers the early days of Jim Brown sitting there mumbling a couple of inane comments every few minutes should appreciate Joe Rogan. :)

TheConcretekid
02-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah, in a recent interview, I think it was on CagePotato, they asked Joe how he prepares for fights, and how much research he does ect. And he was just like, 'I love this sport, I am involved with the sport and follow it everyday, I go on to Forums and I check out MMA News websites.'

I agree, he is extremely knowledgeable, and is very well spoken. I wouldnt want anyone else in the UFC.

He also says that Goldy asks stupid questions on purpose, and that he knows the answers already, but just wants Joe to answer them to inform the fans... But that doesnt explain the instances when he states something embarrasingly inaccurate

Llamafighter
02-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I find it cool that he is such a fan, first that sometimes he really wants the viewing audience to appreciate how good certain guys are that they may not be as familiar with!

It's not cool being screamed at for 3 and a half hours!

rockdawg21
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
I think I just figured it out. I just got done watching the rerun of Sanchez/Parisyan. Maybe Rogan just fantasizes about Parisyan using a judo throw to throw him on a bed and proceed with the g&p.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
02-16-2009, 08:11 PM
So I guess Rogan's supposed to Bash the Fighters you don't like and praise your favorites! I don't think Rogan does to bad. If they do replace him it needs to be with a fighter or ex fighter. Otherwise he'll do!