PDA

View Full Version : BOOK: "The Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell

Llamafighter
06-08-2009, 03:58 PM
*I decided to give this books it's own thread. It's really THAT good!

Well I just finished the book I bought less than a week ago. For those of you who do not remember, Marcus was in Matt's corner for the Serra fight. I wish I'd read (or even knew about) this book beforehand because I would have taken the opportunity to shake this amazing soldier's hand. I don't know that I could truly describe how powerful hsi story is but lets just say it single handedly changed my thoughts on a lot of issues surrounding the war in Afghanistan. I actually feel ashamed for having an opinion of how the war should be fought when I haven't paid my dues in the military. How can I begin to inderstand what they go through. Well, PO 1st Class Marcus Luttrell gives us a pretty close look at how they perform in the most unthinkable, unimaginable circumstances.

Plain and Simple:Go out and get this book. It is an amazing account of one of the deadliest days in SEAL history told by the lone survivor of The Battle of Murphy's Ridge. It's a story of survival and Lutrell's miraculous journey back home. Marcus is a proud Texan and an unapologetic patriot of our country. He's also one bad dude when the bullets start flying, but he'd be the last one to take any credit for his heroism. His humble and self deprecating manner gives this book a lot of humorous moments and the narrative feels as though you're sitting on Marcus' ranch, listening to him tell ya the story personally.

I typically take a while to read books. I'll read in 20 minute spurts traveling to and from work on the train, and usually a half an hour or so before bedtime. There were serveral nights that I finally put the book down and realized that I had been reading for 2 hours straight. I imagine some day they'll make a film about this (ala Black Hawk Down), but I honestly cannot see how they'd do it justice, without us all having to go through psychological treatment after watching. I also don't see how they could find actors that could honestly portray the sort of heroism that Marcus writes about. Marcus made a promise to his fallen comrades and to God to tell their story, it's our duty to listen.

MattHughesRocks
06-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Are you sure this isn't a great book just because he was in Matt's corner? Kinda like A Fighters Heart was a good book cause Matt was mentioned but it really wasn't? :unsure-1:

Llamafighter
06-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Are you sure this isn't a great book just because he was in Matt's corner? Kinda like A Fighters Heart was a good book cause Matt was mentioned but it really wasn't? :unsure-1:

A fighter's heart was awesome what are you talking about, sir?:laugh:

MattHughesRocks
06-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I hate everybody here :laugh:

There were a few really good parts,some ok parts, but too many boring parts. I only finished it because I always HAVE to finish a book even if I don't like it :wacko:

A fighter's heart was awesome what are you talking about, sir?:laugh:

TENNESSEAN
06-08-2009, 09:50 PM
i dont take a train does it come in audio book. i have been wanting to read it for over a year but who has time to read. i dont

TexasRN
06-09-2009, 02:54 AM
A Fighter's Heart was pretty good except for the boxing part. That part was boring to me.

I meant to go to the store and get this one today but I didn't make it out of the apartment after getting back from the pool. It's on my to-do list for tomorrow.

~Amy

Llamafighter
06-09-2009, 04:08 AM
A Fighter's Heart was pretty good except for the boxing part. That part was boring to me.

I meant to go to the store and get this one today but I didn't make it out of the apartment after getting back from the pool. It's on my to-do list for tomorrow.

~Amy
:dry:
:Whistle:

Neezar
06-09-2009, 05:02 AM
I hate everybody here :laugh:

There were a few really good parts,some ok parts, but too many boring parts. I only finished it because I always HAVE to finish a book even if I don't like it :wacko:

Don't lie. How many times have you went back and read over the colon cleansing parts?

:laugh:

TexasRN
06-09-2009, 11:04 PM
So I bought the book today. So far it's a great read. Evidently he lives not far from where I used to live in TX. Makes me miss it. :cry:

Mark, I should finish it in a couple of days. Then we can start a real discussion on it. :w00t: So far I'm on chapter 3 where he sets off for boot camp.

~Amy

Llamafighter
06-10-2009, 01:06 PM
So I bought the book today. So far it's a great read. Evidently he lives not far from where I used to live in TX. Makes me miss it. :cry:

Mark, I should finish it in a couple of days. Then we can start a real discussion on it. :w00t: So far I'm on chapter 3 where he sets off for boot camp.

~Amy

:w00t: Oh man! hold on to your hats because I'll never complain about a conditioning class being exhausting ever again :laugh:
I think I figured out that when he says "some guy that will remain anonymous", he means himself :)

TexasRN
06-13-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm halfway through the book now. I read it in every spare moment. Luttrell tells his story and educates you at the same time. I don't want to hear what politicians and committees say about the war and terrorism, I want to hear what the guys who have been there have to say. Luttrell has been there, he knows the history, he knows the reasons for it and against it. I dare others to read this book and keep an open mind and see what a real hero looks like. No, Luttrell would never label himself as a hero. He wanted this story told as a tribute to the others, not to gain personal glory. He and the men who lost their lives there are heroes to me though....just like my dad and his fellow Vietnam Vets are heroes.

I really wish I'd read it before Vegas. Then I could have bought him a beer, shook his hand, or just simply said "thanks"......Gosh it brings tears to my eyes when a stranger stops my dad on the street after seeing his purple heart cap to shake his hand and tell him thanks for serving. Dad's still 'with it' enough on his good days to reply and talk about his experiences there if asked.

~Amy

VCURamFan
06-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm halfway through the book now. I read it in every spare moment. Luttrell tells his story and educates you at the same time. I don't want to hear what politicians and committees say about the war and terrorism, I want to hear what the guys who have been there have to say. Luttrell has been there, he knows the history, he knows the reasons for it and against it. I dare others to read this book and keep an open mind and see what a real hero looks like. No, Luttrell would never label himself as a hero. He wanted this story told as a tribute to the others, not to gain personal glory. He and the men who lost their lives there are heroes to me though....just like my dad and his fellow Vietnam Vets are heroes.

I really wish I'd read it before Vegas. Then I could have bought him a beer, shook his hand, or just simply said "thanks"......Gosh it brings tears to my eyes when a stranger stops my dad on the street after seeing his purple heart cap to shake his hand and tell him thanks for serving. Dad's still 'with it' enough on his good days to reply and talk about his experiences there if asked.

~AmyMe thinks I need to read this as well. Perhaps I can arrange a book-swap with you (once you're done, of course): Lone Survivor for Blood in the Cage?

TexasRN
06-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Me thinks I need to read this as well. Perhaps I can arrange a book-swap with you (once you're done, of course): Lone Survivor for Blood in the Cage?

Sounds like a plan. You will enjoy this book. Just promise you won't go off and join the Navy trying to become a SEAL afterwards...mmmmKay? Your mama would kick my butt!

~Amy

Llamafighter
06-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Me thinks I need to read this as well. Perhaps I can arrange a book-swap with you (once you're done, of course): Lone Survivor for Blood in the Cage?

It's worth buying plus the proceeds go to the families of the fallen heros.

VCURamFan
06-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Sounds like a plan. You will enjoy this book. Just promise you won't go off and join the Navy trying to become a SEAL afterwards...mmmmKay? Your mama would kick my butt!

~Amy Yeah, she almost had a heart-attack when I told her I was applying to be a Sheriff's Deputy here in our county, and I'm honestly the closest thing to a "criminal element" we have (other than kids smoking in school bathrooms).It's worth buying plus the proceeds go to the families of the fallen heros.I don't doubt it in the slightest. Unfortunately, I have no $$$.

Llamafighter
06-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, she almost had a heart-attack when I told her I was applying to be a Sheriff's Deputy here in our county, and I'm honestly the closest thing to a "criminal element" we have (other than kids smoking in school bathrooms).I don't doubt it in the slightest. Unfortunately, I have no $$$.
Send me your address. It will be a graduation gift:)

VCURamFan
06-13-2009, 09:07 PM
I appreciate that, man!

Amy, I guess instead of Lone Survivor, I want the Fedor book!

EDIT: 2,700th post!

TexasRN
06-13-2009, 11:16 PM
I appreciate that, man!

Amy, I guess instead of Lone Survivor, I want the Fedor book!

EDIT: 2,700th post!

SOMEBODY still has my copy. If it doesn't find its way back to my place soon I am going to drive over there and kick him right in the knee. Then I'll stomp on his foot. And last I will punch him in the gut. :punch: Too bad he probably isn't going to read this particular post......:wacko:

~Amy

Llamafighter
06-14-2009, 09:19 AM
SOMEBODY still has my copy. If it doesn't find its way back to my place soon I am going to drive over there and kick him right in the knee. Then I'll stomp on his foot. And last I will punch him in the gut. :punch: Too bad he probably isn't going to read this particular post......:wacko:

~Amy
:laugh: :laugh:

TENNESSEAN
06-15-2009, 10:37 PM
This book was great. Well written not at all for the faint of heart

We are a nation of the spoiled. This book should give us all strength and promise. What Marcus and these men go threw every day should make us all suck it up and appreciate the lives we lead no matter what personal struggles we have.

Guilt. I have guilt knowing these men are out there fighting for me and my family. They are putting everything on the line for me and you.

I think god for these men every night. When I tuck my girls into bed. I am able to do that because these men fight everyday away from their children. So I can be with mine.

To all the ones serving or have served our nation thank you. To all their families holding down the fort while their away an equal thank you.

God speed.

TexasRN
06-18-2009, 12:41 PM
I am finally almost done with the book. Stupid life keeps interfering. Anyway, I knew there would be emotional parts but dang it, I was in tears yesterday at lunch at work. :cry:

~Amy

Llamafighter
06-18-2009, 12:45 PM
I am finally almost done with the book. Stupid life keeps interfering. Anyway, I knew there would be emotional parts but dang it, I was in tears yesterday at lunch at work. :cry:

~Amy

Yeah I read the last section while sitting at my desk during lunch and was on the verge...
Everyone go out and get this book!!!
Ben just started it so give him about 6 months:tongue0011:

TexasRN
06-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah I read the last section while sitting at my desk during lunch and was on the verge...
Ben just started it so give him about 6 months:tongue0011:

I think about his experience when I am in the gym trying to hold plank position longer or do 5 more pushups when my arms are already shaking and wanting to give out.....it's very inspiring.

~Amy

Llamafighter
06-18-2009, 05:14 PM
I think about his experience when I am in the gym trying to hold plank position longer or do 5 more pushups when my arms are already shaking and wanting to give out.....it's very inspiring.

~Amy

Totally! I was trying to crank out some pushups and started thinking about BUD/S training that Luttrell went through and it does help the mental "can do" side to prevail.

TexasRN
06-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Finally finished the book. I'm still sniffling. :cry:

It makes me think of the war stories from Vietnam my dad finally started telling me when I became an adult. There's still a question of whether the shrapnel that remains lodged in his brain is causing the Alzheimers Disease or if it is just an unfortunate turn of events for him. War is a nasty, nasty thing but not going to war and allowing terrorists to win is beyond contemplating. It just isn't acceptable....period. Before anyone starts in on the pros and cons of the current war, read the darn book. Then get back to me.

~Amy

Jeff Crow
06-19-2009, 02:31 AM

~Amy

:scared0015: :running:

You'll have it back soon..

TexasRN
06-19-2009, 02:41 AM
:scared0015: :running:

You'll have it back soon..

Sure, sure. I believe you. Mhmmm. Yep. :wink:

~Amy

Jeff Crow
06-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Sure, sure. I believe you. Mhmmm. Yep. :wink:

~Amy

TexasRN
06-19-2009, 03:12 AM

:happy: You know that you are one of my favorite people to pick on.

~Amy

VCURamFan
06-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Ben just started it so give him about 6 months:tongue0011:Yeah, Mark is super totally awesome & bought me Lone Survivor and FEDOR.I use Lone Survivor during my cardio, because I absolutely despise it & need something to distract me. I get so wrapped up in Marcus' narrative that the entire workout will go by in a snap.

I just started reading the book this morning & am already about 40pgs in.

TexasRN
06-19-2009, 04:13 AM
Yeah, Mark is super totally awesome & bought me Lone Survivor and FEDOR.I use Lone Survivor during my cardio, because I absolutely despise it & need something to distract me. I get so wrapped up in Marcus' narrative that the entire workout will go by in a snap.

I just started reading the book this morning & am already about 40pgs in.

You have Fedor's book now too? So I threatened Jeff for nothing? :unsure-1:

~Amy

VCURamFan
06-19-2009, 04:26 AM
You have Fedor's book now too? So I threatened Jeff for nothing? :unsure-1:

~AmyO c'mon, Amy. Threatening Jeff is always worthwhile! :laugh:

I'm still happy to send you Blood in the Cage. It's the least I can do after you sent me those other 3!

Play The Man
06-20-2009, 04:37 AM
First post!

I read the book when it first came out in hardback. I can't say that it was an enjoyable read because of the subject matter (for those who have not read the book yet, the title, Lone Survivor, gives you a clue that there is not a happy ending for most of the heroes described in the pages); however, I think it is a must-read for every citizen of our country. It stoked my patriotism. Because of the book, I donated to the Navy SEAL museum. I felt very humbled by the enormous sacrifice of these very young men. I am a Soldiers' Angel to a soldier in Iraq and sent him the book in a care package.

I haven't seen the new, paperback edition so I don't know if it contains an epilogue. For those interested, Michael Murphy was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor by President Bush and a guided missile destroyer, USS Michael Murphy (DDG-112), is currently being built. Reportedly, a movie version of Lone Survivor will be released in 2009. I hope Hollywood doesn't muck up this story.

TexasRN
06-20-2009, 05:22 AM
First post!

I read the book when it first came out in hardback. I can't say that it was an enjoyable read because of the subject matter (for those who have not read the book yet, the title, Lone Survivor, gives you a clue that there is not a happy ending for most of the heroes described in the pages); however, I think it is a must-read for every citizen of our country. It stoked my patriotism. Because of the book, I donated to the Navy SEAL museum. I felt very humbled by the enormous sacrifice of these very young men. I am a Soldiers' Angel to a soldier in Iraq and sent him the book in a care package.

I haven't seen the new, paperback edition so I don't know if it contains an epilogue. For those interested, Michael Murphy was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor by President Bush and a guided missile destroyer, USS Michael Murphy (DDG-112), is currently being built. Reportedly, a movie version of Lone Survivor will be released in 2009. I hope Hollywood doesn't muck up this story.

Welcome to the forum! :w00t:

~Amy

Play The Man
06-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the forum! :w00t:

~Amy

Thank you, Amy! I'm Gregory.