PDA

View Full Version : Blacks vs Gays!

KENTUCKYREDBONE
06-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Blacks versus gays in the culture war
Gay marriage supporters should not have been surprised when Californians voted on election day to place a gay marriage ban in the state constitution. California's reputation as a hotbed of liberal experimentation has never quite squared with reality. Just as they did on Proposition 8 last week, Californians have frequently voted thumbs-up on conservative ballot initiatives. In recent decades they have banned affirmative action at public universities, restricted government services to illegal immigrants, and (most famously, in 1978) capped local property taxes. Nor has California always been reliably Democratic in presidential years; between 1952 and 1988, the voters backed only one Democrat, and that was in national landslide of 1964.

And this time, with the gay marriage ban winning by half a million votes (and by a margin exceeding four percent), gay marriage supporters were vividly reminded that there are populous socially conservative communities, particularly in the inland counties east and south of Los Angeles, where the evangelical churches hold sway. The Mormon church, in particular, dipped into its deep pockets to help bankroll the pro-ban campaign. The gay activists are clearly aware of these countervailing forces, and were probably not surprised to encounter their resistance.

No, what most vexes them - in an ironic twist on this historical presidential election - is how their defeat was fueled in part by the landslide resistance of African-America voters, the same voters who cast their ballots for Barack Obama, turning out in far greater numbers than in 2004.

By supporting Obama, these voters helped turn the page in the civil rights struggle that began half a century ago...yet, by splitting their tickets and voting Yes for a gay marriage ban, they essentially sent the message that the aspirations of gay people do not merit consideration as a civil rights struggle in the new century. This is a fresh reminder, lest we need one, that political coalitions (in this case, the Obama coalition) are never monolithic, and that goals and interests can diverge on social, religious, or cultural grounds. That's what happened last week, in California.

Black support for the state constitutional ban on gay marriage was undoubtedly a big factor in the result. The math is inescapable. Roughly 10 percent of the California turnout last week was African-American - a four percent hike from 1004, thanks to Obama's presence on the ballot. Given the latest statewide turnout figures, that translates into roughly one million black voters. The exit polls report that 70 percent of the black voters supported the gay marriage ban; in translation, that's roughly a 400,000-vote margin in support of the ban (700,000 black yes votes; 300,000 no votes). So the impact of black voters is clear, when one remembers that the statewide margin of victory for the ban was 500,000.

Assuming that the gay marriage crusade will continue, it's clear that its advocates have a lot more work to do in the black community - as well as with Hispanics, who were far more populous on election day (18 percent of all California voters), and who also supported the ban (with 53 percent saying yes). Much of the resistance to gay marriage is religion-based; as one 25-year-old black woman told The Los Angeles Times the other day, "I think it's mainly because of the way we were brought up in the church...God doesn't approve it, so I don't approve it. And I approve of Him."

But, in the black community, there is also a persistent belief - outdated by the evidence, experts say - that gays volunteer to be gay, and therefore the gay civil rights movement should not be equated with the black struggle, and nor should gay marriage prohibitions be equated with the now-defunct prohibitions against interracial marriage. In the words of one black Los Angeles voter quoted in the press, "I was born black. I can't change that. They weren't born gay, they close it."

Gay activists are reportedly furious about the black voters (in recent days, there have been a few ugly name-calling incidents), but the attitude of the latter is hardly new. California pollsters have long documented black opposition to gay marriage; the respected Field poll, four years ago, reported 2-1 opposition, and that's basically what the voters said last week.

And two months ago, the liberal People for the American Way Foundation conducted focus groups among black California churchgoers - and found the same thing; as Foundation president Kathryn Kolbert now reports, "Even some of the most eloquent opponents of discrimination argued that marriage was somehow different because they saw it as an inherently religious act that God had designed to be between a man and a woman." Kolbert supports the idea of getting blacks "to think differently," but acknowledges: "That's a tough conversation to have in the midst of a heated political campaign."

It will take a lot more time. The potential upside for the gay activists is that time is on their side. Eight years ago, when a gay-marriage ban first appeared on the California ballot, it passed by a margin of 22 percent. This time, the margin was less than five points. It's not a stretch to believe that black resistance will wane in the long run, as younger voters replace the old, although some gay marriage supporters believe that Barack Obama can perhaps accelerate the black community education process once he becomes president, by prioritizing the gay marriage struggle. (A Huffington Post blogger, for instance, writes that Obama "must lead on this issue. He needs to help people see this for what it is: the cutting edge of civil rights in America today.")

But that won't happen; indeed, Obama already stated during the campaign that he broadly opposes the concept of gay marriage, and his remarks were used in some of the pro-ban California ads, to devastating effect. He probably wouldn't take on this issue even if he got re-elected in landslide. His last priority, for the foreseeable future, would be the tackling of a divisive social controversy - unless he has a political death wish and seeks to replicate Bill Clinton's first-term debacle over gays in the military. No, change on the gay-marriage front will need to be generated from the bottom up, because there will be no bully pulpit pleas from Washington.

atomdanger
06-07-2009, 08:47 PM
I know this is a serious post,

but I love the title blacks vs gays.

It could be a gang war.

J.B.
06-07-2009, 09:00 PM
This thread has been similar to a staring contest because of its name and long opening post.

You lose Atom...:tongue0011: :laugh:

However, I will comment on this...
a four percent hike from 1004, thanks to Obama's presence on the ballot.

One-thousand and 5 years SHOULD make a lot of difference...but only 4%? Geez that sucks!!! :laugh:

rockdawg21
06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
So...it's ok for blacks to hate on gays and not be called a "hate monger?" Talk aobut a double standard.

County Mike
06-09-2009, 01:35 PM
What about the black gays? Where do they fit in? Or more importantly, what about the gay blacks?

Crisco
06-09-2009, 01:49 PM
What about the black gays? Where do they fit in? Or more importantly, what about the gay blacks?

They where the 300k that voted no :wink: :laugh: :tongue0011:

atomdanger
06-09-2009, 04:29 PM
So...it's ok for blacks to hate on gays and not be called a "hate monger?" Talk aobut a double standard.

In case you didn't notice,
blacks get to be racist.... its ok because "society" feels guilty about the past.

I don't know how many times I've been referred to as "white boy",
that drives me up a wall.

Neezar
06-09-2009, 04:32 PM
blacks get to be racist.... its ok because "society" feels guilty about the past.

But....you are a white boy. :unsure-1:

:laugh:

County Mike
06-09-2009, 05:17 PM

Shut up white boy! Nobody wants your kind around here.

:tongue0011:

Crisco
06-09-2009, 05:22 PM
honkey

rearnakedchoke
06-09-2009, 05:26 PM

such a crybaby ...

Crisco
06-09-2009, 05:26 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/dont_hate_me_because_im_white_tshirt-p235101702797204694t5tr_400.jpg

Crisco
06-09-2009, 05:28 PM
http://www.rinawear.com/images/images%20for%2008/whitepeoplesm.jpg

Crisco
06-09-2009, 05:29 PM
There is an unlimited supply of racial humor if you have the good sense to see it as humor.

rearnakedchoke
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
http://dumb-s hit.net:8085/mike/crap/naggers.jpg

There is an unlimited supply of racial humor if you have the good sense to see it as humor.
racial humour is funny until a point ... but i agree, people are way too uptight .. the best thing is, is not being black or white (cue michael jackson's song) .. you get to stand back and watch mortal enemies fight .. LOL

Crisco
06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
racial humour is funny until a point ... but i agree, people are way too uptight .. the best thing is, is not being black or white (cue michael jackson's song) .. you get to stand back and watch mortal enemies fight .. LOL

Then that means I couldn't be white....

F that I like getting cabs when I want them.

(see what I did there? Little racial humor.)

rearnakedchoke
06-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Then that means I couldn't be white....

F that I like getting cabs when I want them.

(see what I did there? Little racial humor.)

LOL .. so true ...

Crisco
06-09-2009, 05:42 PM
http://beforetherewas.googlepages.com/YouMyCracka.jpg

County Mike
06-09-2009, 05:49 PM
http://young-alumni.com/lolgallery/data/media/2/1240000925304.jpg

Crisco
06-09-2009, 05:50 PM

Racist pigs!

always tryna keep a white man down

mikthehick
06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Shut up white boy! Nobody wants your kind around here.

:tongue0011:

Well, there is no denying my whiteness....

Glad I got that off my chest

NateR
06-09-2009, 06:06 PM
The title of this thread cracks me up, makes me think that this could be a good them for an upcoming UFC...

UFC 102: Blacks vs. Gays!

Now we know why the UFC signed Frank Trigg again. :ninja: :laugh:

mikthehick
06-09-2009, 06:08 PM
The title of this thread cracks me up, makes me think that this could be a good them for an upcoming UFC...

Dang it Nate, quit making me laugh! I'm sore!

Two hours of straight boxing last night, then THIS happens :laugh: :w00t:

Crisco
06-09-2009, 06:10 PM

This post is hilarious

County Mike
06-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Racist pigs!

always tryna keep a white man down

WORD!

que
06-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I know this is a serious post,

but I love the title blacks vs gays.

It could be a gang war.
considering that probably 1% of this forum population is black or gay, i don't see a gang war happening

maybe you could call it a one on one e-battle?

Crisco
06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
considering that probably 1% of this forum population is black or gay, i don't see a gang war happening

maybe you could call it a one on one e-battle?

We have one openly gay dude and I can't really recall anyone who is black. Not like Obama black I mean Al Sharpton black.

Dave is a softy, black dude wins by verbal submission due to strikes at 30 secs of round one.

rearnakedchoke
06-09-2009, 07:38 PM
We have one openly gay dude and I can't really recall anyone who is black. Not like Obama black I mean Al Sharpton black.

Dave is a softy, black dude wins by verbal submission due to strikes at 30 secs of round one.
LOL .. Dave is not gay, he suffers from SSAD .... get it right ...

Crisco
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
LOL .. Dave is not gay, he suffers from SSAD .... get it right ...

My apologies to you David.

The blacks win by default then I guess.

J.B.
06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnT8Ubogdog

Vizion
06-09-2009, 09:07 PM
It won't be just the black vs gays, it will be the Hispanics, and the Moslems against them too - white people (the primary pro-gay race) are the dying race :laugh: cuz they ain't havin' enough kiddies...if gay marriage ever became a national thing it would be trumped soon thereafter due to the reversal of minority status.

Miss Foxy
06-09-2009, 10:30 PM
It won't be just the black vs gays, it will be the Hispanics, and the Moslems against them too - white people (the primary pro-gay race) are the dying race :laugh: cuz they ain't havin' enough kiddies...if gay marriage ever became a national thing it would be trumped soon thereafter due to the reversal of minority status.
Really? Or maybe they are mixing with other races....

rearnakedchoke
06-09-2009, 10:54 PM
No, it is because Barack Obama has ordered the water tainted in all white neighborhoods to have teratogenic effects therefore reducing the number of white babies ... he has also had subliminal messages placed in all country and rock music which says "Do not procreate" "A change we can believe in, don't have children" ... stuff like that ...

Vizion
06-10-2009, 12:22 AM
yea mostly just not having very many kids comparitivley speaking

Europe = 1.4 kids per couple
US = 2.1

both are predominantly white as of today, but not to stray off topic, I just dont see gay marriage being sustainable with decreasing numbers of white vs increasing minorities who oppose it...does that make sense?

Edit: check out this video too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a60A3mw2XgQ

Vizion
06-10-2009, 12:23 AM
No, it is because Barack Obama has ordered the water tainted in all white neighborhoods to have teratogenic effects therefore reducing the number of white babies ... he has also had subliminal messages placed in all country and rock music which says "Do not procreate" "A change we can believe in, don't have children" ... stuff like that ...:rolleyes:

NateR
06-10-2009, 12:57 AM
white people are the dying race :laugh: cuz they ain't havin' enough kiddies...

Agreed, in order to maintain their majority status every white couple need to have a MINIMUM of three children, preferably more. One child to replace the father, one child to replace the mother, and one child to add to the overall population.

Take 100 white American couples and 50 Arab-American couples. Each white couple has only 1-2 children. Each Arab couple has 7-10 children. The next generation of whites would only number between 100-200 people, thus a decrease in the population when the parents die off. The next generation of Arabs would number a minimum of 350 to a maximum of 500 people, creating a population increase of 3-5 times what they started with. So within 18 years, 200 voting white Americans becomes, at best, 400 voting whites. However, 100 voting Arab-Americans become 450-600 voting Arab-Americans. That's how minorities become majorities.

Miss Foxy
06-10-2009, 02:38 AM
This thread is so damn funny its ridiculous!! OMG I feel so blessed that I am 1/2 and 1/2.. According to the government though I am classified as caucasian, because that is the race of my mother..So technically I am not a minority till you look at me and I look totally latina, but I don't ever deny my "white" roots or German shall I say!! :laugh:

rockdawg21
06-10-2009, 02:53 AM
This thread is so damn funny its ridiculous!! OMG I feel so blessed that I am 1/2 and 1/2.. According to the government though I am classified as caucasian, because that is the race of my mother..So technically I am not a minority till you look at me and I look totally latina, but I don't ever deny my "white" roots or German shall I say!! :laugh:
Racist! :tongue0011:

rearnakedchoke
06-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Agreed, in order to maintain their majority status every white couple need to have a MINIMUM of three children, preferably more. One child to replace the father, one child to replace the mother, and one child to add to the overall population.

Take 100 white American couples and 50 Arab-American couples. Each white couple has only 1-2 children. Each Arab couple has 7-10 children. The next generation of whites would only number between 100-200 people, thus a decrease in the population when the parents die off. The next generation of Arabs would number a minimum of 350 to a maximum of 500 people, creating a population increase of 3-5 times what they started with. So within 18 years, 200 voting white Americans becomes, at best, 400 voting whites. However, 100 voting Arab-Americans become 450-600 voting Arab-Americans. That's how minorities become majorities.
better get married and start having kids ... LOL ... really though, it doesn't matter .... like foxy said, there aren't going to be too many "pure" races left in america cuz of every race mixing ...

Vizion
06-10-2009, 03:41 AM
better get married and start having kids ... LOL ... really though, it doesn't matter .... like foxy said, there aren't going to be too many "pure" races left in america cuz of every race mixing ... hmm..not sure about that...not "everyone" mixes, last i checked, most people don't :Whistle:

besides that, what's going to save gay marriage if not for liberal white people who will be in the minority 50 years from now when Islam has dominated America? :w00t:

KENTUCKYREDBONE
06-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Seems to me that the Gay lobby ain't very tolerant of those who don't toe their line! On the Race issue thing. I seem to take after my Scotch Irish ancestors but according to my family Tree way back in the Old days one of my Ancestors was some kind of Indian Chief. So come down to it I doubt there's very many Folks that are Racially pure! Personally I think behavior is more important than Skin color!

rearnakedchoke
06-10-2009, 12:04 PM
hmm..not sure about that...not "everyone" mixes, last i checked, most people don't :Whistle:

besides that, what's going to save gay marriage if not for liberal white people who will be in the minority 50 years from now when Islam has dominated America? :w00t:
well, what i meant was a lot of whites and blacks mix ... that is because white people love the quarter chicken dark even if they don't say it and black men loves them some white women ... you are right, a lot of the non-black and whites stick to their own ... it is in our master plan ...

Crisco
06-10-2009, 12:35 PM
well, what i meant was a lot of whites and blacks mix ... that is because white people love the quarter chicken dark even if they don't say it and black men loves them some white women ... you are right, a lot of the non-black and whites stick to their own ... it is in our master plan ...

If I were black I would exclusively date asians.

Like the famous black dudes do.

Crisco
06-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I would actually like to get a T-shirt with Obama on it that says white pride and wear it to see how many people forget the fact that he is infact half white.

I can see it now

"but he is black" "Is that shirt being racist it says white pride on it"

Miss Foxy
06-10-2009, 02:44 PM
If I were black I would exclusively date asians.

Like the famous black dudes do.
LOL!! :laugh:

atomdanger
06-10-2009, 07:12 PM

I just spit diet coke all over, thanks Nate.

Neezar
06-11-2009, 04:05 AM

:laugh:

Tyburn
06-11-2009, 10:03 PM
this puts the black gays in a conflict of interest doesnt it.

Oh yes...there are black gays :ninja: