PDA

View Full Version : Clay/Nate

Spiritwalker
02-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Is it me or do others thing that Clay won all three round?

And I don't know how ANYONE coud have given that fight to Nate...

Clay had 1 and 3 hands down.. maybe lost round 2... but Nate winning 2 rounds? I just don't see it.

Champ2be
02-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I thought Nate won the fight actually.

Jason 16
02-01-2009, 07:03 PM
I had clay round 1 and 3 nate round 2

Primadawn
02-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I thought Clay won all 3. I was STUNNED that it was a split.

F34R
02-01-2009, 09:18 PM
It was definitely not a good fight in my opinion. Nate looked completely absent from that fight. I was really upset with his performance. I really wanted him to win this fight, but he just didn't do anything outside a few shots he was able to land. I think Clay won all three rounds as well. That being said, he didn't do much either.

Tyburn
02-02-2009, 12:05 AM

:unsure-1: you know one now.

I had Diaz winning....what did Guida do to win? nothing on the feet, holding Diaz in a body lock and going to sleep on his back doesnt equal control

...Nice Full Nelson though :laugh:

Tyburn
02-02-2009, 12:06 AM
I thought Nate won the fight actually.
:laugh: glad I'm not completely alone :laugh:

Max
02-02-2009, 12:12 AM
I had Clay winning round 1 Nate winning round 3 and round 2 as a draw

Liam
02-02-2009, 12:13 AM
I had nate winning 1 and 3.. he hardly did any strikes in round 2 if i remember correctly but he lit up Guida in rounds 1 and 3.

Bonnie
02-02-2009, 01:56 AM

Clay had 1 and 3 hands down.. maybe lost round 2... but Nate winning 2 rounds? I just don't see it.

I agree except I think Clay had rounds 1 and 2 definitely and at the beginning of 3 Diaz did get some punches in but Clay came back for most of 3. My husband and I both ? how "that" judge gave Diaz that!

F34R
02-02-2009, 02:58 AM
I have to watch this one again. I remember being pissed the entire fight because I didn't think Nate was doing anything. Tyburn is usually close to how I would see it, so I wonder where I went wrong on this one. Definitely going to watch it again.

matthughesfan21
02-02-2009, 03:36 AM
by ufc rules for scoring a fight, Clay won, but he was pissing me off because it just seemed to me like he was just trying to hold on to his back and pray he won a decision

Moose
02-02-2009, 04:06 AM
He didn't try to finish the fight once. That's two of his last fights I sincerely hate.

rockdawg21
02-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Clay smothered Diaz in the first 2 rounds, easy win on the first 2 rounds for Clay. As for the 3rd round, Diaz landed some pretty sweet strikes, then got smothered again for the remainder of the round. I'd say 29-28 Clay.

TheConcretekid
02-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I had Diaz winning....what did Guida do to win? nothing on the feet, holding Diaz in a body lock and going to sleep on his back doesnt equal control

...Nice Full Nelson though :laugh:

A. sigh... using wrestling to nullify a striker's stand-up game (in this case, a pretty damn good stand-up game) IS controlling the fight. He slammed Nate a few times, scored takedowns, reversals, threw several high crotches, tied him up in the clinch, he worked a 3 quarter and I def saw him use a cradle, he nubbed Diaz's reversal/take down attempts. I think this was one of the best examples of using wrestling to complete control the fight.

Diaz had such a HUGE reach advantage and dangerous stand-up and he's a brown belt in BJJ. e.i. standing in front of him and banging is a terrible idea, and sitting in his guard is a terrible idea. Clay worked his wrestling and took away all options for Diaz. Perfection.

B. That was a pretty sweet full nelson, though it was the second I have seen in the UFC, I think Fitch did one as well. But he tried it as a submission where Clay used it EXTREMELY effectively to gain side control

Spiritwalker
02-02-2009, 04:34 PM
by ufc rules for scoring a fight, Clay won, but he was pissing me off because it just seemed to me like he was just trying to hold on to his back and pray he won a decision

Not UFC rules.

Unified MMA Rules.

Max
02-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Not UFC rules.

Unified MMA Rules.
the Unified rules came from the UFC rules. IMO the judging criteria in PRIDE was much much better.

Llamafighter
02-02-2009, 06:25 PM
the Unified rules came from the UFC rules. IMO the judging criteria in PRIDE was much much better.

I actually disagree. There were several fight I watched that went to decision in which one guy dominated all but the final round and lost the decision because the judges were likley to favor what they saw last.

Bonnie
02-02-2009, 11:05 PM
A. sigh... using wrestling to nullify a striker's stand-up game (in this case, a pretty damn good stand-up game) IS controlling the fight. He slammed Nate a few times, scored takedowns, reversals, threw several high crotches, tied him up in the clinch, he worked a 3 quarter and I def saw him use a cradle, he nubbed Diaz's reversal/take down attempts. I think this was one of the best examples of using wrestling to complete control the fight.

Diaz had such a HUGE reach advantage and dangerous stand-up and he's a brown belt in BJJ. e.i. standing in front of him and banging is a terrible idea, and sitting in his guard is a terrible idea. Clay worked his wrestling and took away all options for Diaz. Perfection.

B. That was a pretty sweet full nelson, though it was the second I have seen in the UFC, I think Fitch did one as well. But he tried it as a submission where Clay used it EXTREMELY effectively to gain side control

I didn't know how to say ALL that, but if I had, you would have taken the words right out of my mouth. :laugh:

Whenever, Clay was on top of him (I guess in Diaz's guard) I was screaming at the TV for Clay to watch out for those long legs; Diaz almost could have had him a couple of times. I'm surprised that Dave and some others just saw the fight as Clay just laying on Diaz's back or as just "holding" him. I think both of them were being "defensive" in trying not to be caught by the other.

Primadawn
02-02-2009, 11:07 PM

QFT

Spiritwalker
02-03-2009, 01:34 AM

Don't know what PRIDE fights you watched.....:huh: :unsure-1: :unsure-1:

bj44
02-03-2009, 01:36 AM
yeah under pride criteria diaz would of won. Under the ufc's crieria of judging by rounds clay won 29-28

Spiritwalker
02-03-2009, 02:04 AM
yeah under pride criteria diaz would of won. Under the ufc's crieria of judging by rounds clay won 29-28

But it's NOT UFC rules...

People need to understand this..

The UFC doesn't create their own rules.. The UFC doesn't employ the judges or refs..

The UFC doesn't say "yea" or "nay" to drug testing...

They are just the medium in which the fights take place..

Very little else..

Max
02-03-2009, 03:40 AM
But it's NOT UFC rules...

People need to understand this..

The UFC doesn't create their own rules.. The UFC doesn't employ the judges or refs..

The UFC doesn't say "yea" or "nay" to drug testing...

They are just the medium in which the fights take place..

Very little else..
The UFC is the org that created the rules that they follow today so it is there rules. If they wanted to have the fight scored differently they could have changed the way they judged rules when they first decided to use the 10 point system.

Max
02-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Don't know what PRIDE fights you watched.....:huh: :unsure-1: :unsure-1:
I have watched tons of PRIDE fights and IMO judging the fight as a whole is better than round by round and using attempts to finish the fight (as well as realizing that when a fighter pulls guard he is not losing the fight) is a better way to judge the fight than the way the UFC has chosen to do it.

Moose
02-03-2009, 06:48 AM
I have watched tons of PRIDE fights and IMO judging the fight as a whole is better than round by round and using attempts to finish the fight (as well as realizing that when a fighter pulls guard he is not losing the fight) is a better way to judge the fight than the way the UFC has chosen to do it.
Pride judging went like this:

Judge 1
"That man looks more Japanese than that white guy"
Judge 2
"Definitely, that's a 10-8 round right there"
Judge 3
"Indeed!"

Spiritwalker
02-03-2009, 10:57 AM

Getting someone into gaurd is normally considered a defensive move, granted, if you have someone in gaurd.. your in control..but a person in your gaurd, reallly only has to lay on top.. espically if they have under hoors.. not much you can do from a bad gaurd.

. Pulling gaurd from your feet normally means that the fight will be pretty damn short as the one that pulls gaurd, has a plan.

Max
02-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Pride judging went like this:

Judge 1
"That man looks more Japanese than that white guy"
Judge 2
"Definitely, that's a 10-8 round right there"
Judge 3
"Indeed!"

um not really. considering that PRIDE did not use a 10 point must system.

Max
02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Getting someone into gaurd is normally considered a defensive move, granted, if you have someone in gaurd.. your in control..but a person in your gaurd, reallly only has to lay on top.. espically if they have under hoors.. not much you can do from a bad gaurd.

. Pulling gaurd from your feet normally means that the fight will be pretty damn short as the one that pulls gaurd, has a plan.
if the guy on top is landing tons of punches I am fine with giving him the decision. My problem is when a guy scores a takedown and just sits in the other guys guard doing nothing or just defending submission attempts and is still given that round.

by the way I found what PRIDE used as their full judging criteria

1. the effort made to finish the fight via KO or submission,
2. damage given to the opponent,
3. standing combinations and ground control,
4. takedowns and takedown defense,
5. aggressiveness
6. weight (in the case that the weight difference is 10 kg/22 lb or more).